Why Do People Like Crappy Movies?

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why Do People Like Crappy Movies?

I like my fair share of silly movies, but why do people like such crappy films?

I want to go into filmmaking, but I'm leaning towards the independent cinema track. To be succesful in the indie world, your movie HAS to be good. Great indie comedies maintain a level of sophistication and nuance. Hollywood keeps spewing out overprocessed, recycled, unfunny garbage that no one cares about. Of course, there are some amazing films that the major studios have made, don't get me wrong, but it seems like whenever I sit down to watch the previews in a theatre, all the movies aimed at "average" Americans look TERRIBLE. And naturally, everyone laughs at the bad jokes while I sit there, stoic and annoyed.

" But there is a growing segment of what I call “blockbuster cinema,” which really has no interest in suspending a viewer’s disbelief. There’s no coaxing or convincing, no act of creation. They are films that merely flash images, and blare sounds, and tell us that this is the way it is; eat and be happy." - Great quote from a reviewer of the horrid JOHN TUCKER MUST DIE

So many people my age list crapfests like JTMD as their "favorite" movies. WTF, world?

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah yes. The fart joke

Ah yes. The fart joke phenomena. I wish I could tell you. My roomate loves that type of movie. Despite being one of my best friends, his taste in movies corresponds with low brow comedy and horror. *Sigh*

At least it's entertaining to be able to watch all the Freddy movies followed by all the Jason movies followed by all the Michael movies every now and then. Unfortunately you then get into some of the real "c-" films...

My movies consist of works such as Star Wars, Enemy at the Gates, Braveheart, and The Devils Own. His centres around Scary Movie, Epic Movie, Disaster Movie, and Friday the Thirteenth.

At least when you combine them you have one of the most comprehensive movie collections of all time...for whatever that's worth.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I LOVE crappy movies, that's

I LOVE crappy movies, that's what's so good about them!

I'm planning on going to see Street Fighter this weekend, not because of the "action" or because I'm a Street Fighter fan, but because I heard it's so bad it's hilarious.

However, there are two kinds of crappy movies.

1] So bad it's funny and hence good.

2] So bad it's horrible.

Movies that fall into 1] are usually action/horror movies that aren't suppose to be funny [which is what's so good about them!]

2] are usually comedies that just make penis and boob jokes, like Epic Movie.

But yeah, I agree the number 2 movies [c wat i did thar?] is that they target brain dead teenagers who's heroes are Bevis and Butthead

It's just that these jokes are "cool"

Anyway, the last quality film I saw was the one with Daniel Craig in Russia during WWII [I forgot the name]

I don't think there's a demand for those kind of films anymore, most are targeted at the teenage demographic.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Sad to say but movies are

Sad to say but movies are a lost cause,although I might just be saying that because I lack a tv to watch them and im to cheap to go and pay to watch them, but I can't even remember the last movie I actively enjoyed. 

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
My personal take on the

My personal take on the Street Fighter movie, unless you're talking about a new movie that I haven't heard of, is that the producer might as well have lit his money on fire. At least then you could have pointed at a pretty flame for a few minutes. I have done my best to wipe my mind of any fragments of its existence. Much llike I have done with Tom Green. If that's his name. I actually hope it isn't, since that would mean I've had great success in my efforts.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I love B movies when there

I love B movies when there is pleanty of T&A, just like I like action  movies. Not because the plots are deep, but because sometimes it is fun to eat chili fries than your vegitables. I certainly could not sustain my intellectually on such garbage, but it is fun to relax once and a while.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is Tom Green.  And the

It is Tom Green.  And the Street Fighter movie being referred to is one that released this year.  Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li.  It was absolutely horrible and worth every cent that I spent to see it and every minute my brain addled.  Sometimes I don't want to think very hard.  I have the uncanny ability (and so does my partner) to grab up what must be the worst movie and, despite our criticisms of it, enjoy it.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like plenty of blockbuster

I like plenty of blockbuster mainstream entertainment. Recently I've enjoyed Ironman and Tropic Thunder to give examples.

But the whole Scary Movie franchise pisses me off. I've not seen any of them, but the trailers make me throw up in my mouth a little. That form of humour is pathetic, and no, I do not think Tropic Thunder goes in the same category. I've not heard of Some Guy Must Die, so I don't know what to think of that, but if it's Anything like the Scary/Epic movies, then I'm glad it hasn't reached Denmark.

But all in all, besides the really embarresing stuff I generally enjoy mainstream blockbusters.

But most of my favorite movies are indies or other quirky outsider productions.

Any of you guys seen The Last Supper or The Man From Earth?

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Anyway,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Anyway, the last quality film I saw was the one with Daniel Craig in Russia during WWII [I forgot the name]

Defiance. That was a great movie.

BTW, I love bad horrors and dramas, funnier than any intentionally funny movie.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:It is Tom

Thomathy wrote:

It is Tom Green.

Asshole. Now I can't even delude myself into thinking that it's working!!!

Sad Sad Sad

Thomathy wrote:
  And the Street Fighter movie being referred to is one that released this year.  Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li.

Oh. That sounds......never mind.

Thomathy wrote:
  It was absolutely horrible and worth every cent that I spent to see it and every minute my brain addled.  Sometimes I don't want to think very hard.  I have the uncanny ability (and so does my partner) to grab up what must be the worst movie and, despite our criticisms of it, enjoy it.

Was it at least better than the first one? lol.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not dissing mainstream

I'm not dissing mainstream movies. There's been some amazing mainstream cinema, just like there's been some god-awful "artsy" film with no point.

I just can't stand people with no taste, who list crap as their FAVORITE films. I like Borat, which is stupid humor but also sort of genious. But I'm SO critical of films. I judge people on their taste in movies.

Most mainstream comedy just isn't funny anymore. The 80's and most of the 90's had a surge of great comedy, but then it just dissolved into pure garbage. Not to mention all the awesome, traditional hand-drawn animation has turned into a hyperactive Pixar-fest.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

OmegaSupreme
OmegaSupreme's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah...

One of my favorite movies ever is The Fisher King.  Highly recommend it to anyone.  Superb acting by Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges.  I think the best thing to happen to film in the last quarter century or so is the rise of the comic-turned-movie genre beginning with the fist Batman probably.  Never liked horror movies one bit.  In today's world, going to a theater to watch a movie means having to deal with scumbags putting their feet on the top of the seat in front of them or talking during the movie among other things.  That is why for several years I stayed away from the theaters and watch movies on home theater surround--one of the greatest inventions ever.

You had me at "WTF?"

econgineer
econgineer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I love B

Brian37 wrote:

I love B movies when there is pleanty of T&A, just like I like action  movies. Not because the plots are deep, but because sometimes it is fun to eat chili fries than your vegitables. I certainly could not sustain my intellectually on such garbage, but it is fun to relax once and a while.

I'm with you.  I love good movies, but I also like some bad movies.  I had a film studies professor in college who said, "It's okay to like a bad movie, as long as you know it's bad."

Responsibility: A detachable burden easily shifted to the shoulders of God, Fate, Fortune, Luck or one's neighbor. In the days of astrology it was customary to unload it upon a star. ~Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, 1911

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
econgineer wrote:Brian37

econgineer wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I'm with you.  I love good movies, but I also like some bad movies.  I had a film studies professor in college who said, "It's okay to like a bad movie, as long as you know it's bad."

I think "My name is Bruce" may fall into this category. I knew it was going to suck big hairy ones before watching it. I wasn't disappointed!

I will watch anything with him acting in it. . . anything.  Eye-wink

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Was it at least

Vastet wrote:
Was it at least better than the first one? lol.
It is.  It had to be.  It's not possible to make a movie worse than the last one.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I LOVE

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I'm planning on going to see Street Fighter this weekend, not because of the "action" or because I'm a Street Fighter fan, but because I heard it's so bad it's hilarious. 

When my wife has a bad day at work, she and I usually have a "bad movie night." That's a night where we eat bad food, and watch bad movies. So far, the favorite bad movie is "Deep Blue Sea," a CGI-shark-fest. This is a movie that takes itself way too seriously, as cheesy as a Tillamook factory.

Lately, we've taken to watching old TV shows, like "A-Team" and "McGuyver" and "Kolchak: The Night Stalker." These are also cheesy-bad, and often worth the time invested.

As a side note: it's hard to tell which movie will fit Bad Movie Night. For instance, I absolutely love "Reign of Fire." My wife despises it. She claims it's just bad. For me, it's aged white cheddar. So your mileage may vary, as always.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:Not to

peppermint wrote:

Not to mention all the awesome, traditional hand-drawn animation has turned into a hyperactive Pixar-fest.

Which is why I'm sure you'll be pleased that the new Head of Disney animation (ex-Pixar) has re-instated their 2D animation studio and they should have a suite of films coming out soon Smiling

nigelTheBold wrote:

When my wife has a bad day at work, she and I usually have a "bad movie night." That's a night where we eat bad food, and watch bad movies. So far, the favorite bad movie is "Deep Blue Sea," a CGI-shark-fest. This is a movie that takes itself way too seriously, as cheesy as a Tillamook factory...

...As a side note: it's hard to tell which movie will fit Bad Movie Night. For instance, I absolutely love "Reign of Fire." My wife despises it. She claims it's just bad. For me, it's aged white cheddar. So your mileage may vary, as always.

I love Deep Blue Sea, if only for the moment when the "Kevin Costner" speech gets "interrupted" (trying to avoid spoilers, if anyone carse).  It's so bad it's good.

I'm also a fan of "Reign of Fire".  If only because of a freind's review: "Well... it's the best post-apocalyptic dragon movie you'l see!".

As far as the OP goes I think that people as a whole prefer the "bad" movies - and list them as favourites - because today's culture is one of instant gratification.  The bad films are easy.  No thought required and it made me laugh like a chimp ergo BEST MOVIE EVA ZOMG!!!!1  If we can't 'get' it in a really short space of time then it's Booooooooooooooooring.  It's sad but that's the way things seem to be.

A prime example was the movie Franklyn.  It's the first film I've been to in a while that large sections of the audience walked out of.  Don't get me wrong it wasn't a great movie but I at least got what it was trying to say*.  I think those that walked out did so because it was too complex and weird for their taste.

M

*Franklyn had the potential to be great but it was struck by the paradox of using one character to explicitly club you with the meaning of what was going on, and layering in needlessly self-indulgent 'high-art' references to the same.  What results is an overly long and self-involved treatment of what could have been a great movie about personal realities.

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does, Army of Darkness count

Does, Army of Darkness count as "bad"

Sleestack
Sleestack's picture
User is offlineOffline
My take on movies is this:

My take on movies is this: First and foremost, they are entertainment. Unless it's a documentary, I don't care what the moral of the story is, could care less about character development or anything else critics seem to nit pick about. My only requirment for a movie is...entertain me.

I think people over analyze movies to a point where they are looking for something wrong or some sort of hidden meaning to the movie, trying too much to disect the characters depth or development, instead of trying to enjoy the movie. People also get caught up in the 'realism' of the movie. Which makes me laugh. It's a movie (FICTION) and you are worried about how real it is? Seriously?

Another thing is, not every story is going to appeal to everyone. However, it doesn't take a genius to see when a production has cut corners or, the lighting was bad, the acting was bad, horrible compositing, etc...Those things will take the viewer out of the 'experience'. It may be fine if you have a great story and you have really fine tuned the script, but, if you fail to make sure everything else is tight...well, you get the picture. No pun intended.

There are exceptions to the rules above though. For example, Night of the Comet. Is it a great movie, heck no, not even close. Full of bad acting, cheesy special effects and plenty of 80s bad hair. However, it's entertaining. Another movie I find entertaining is Damnation Alley from the 70s. Bad acting, HORRIBLE special effects, plenty of plot holes, but, still entertaining.

The liking or disliking of movies is just like any other art form and is very subjective in my opinion.

Now for the state that Hollywood is in now...I think they have officially ran out of original ideas, which is demonstrated by all of the movie and tv remakes they have spit out at us in the last few years. However, I don't mind the continuing of established franchises like The Terminator, Star Trek, Star Wars, James Bond, etc... I will divorce myself completely from the movies if I ever see a Joanie Loves Chachi movie.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleestack wrote:My take on

Sleestack wrote:

My take on movies is this: First and foremost, they are entertainment. Unless it's a documentary, I don't care what the moral of the story is, could care less about character development or anything else critics seem to nit pick about. My only requirment for a movie is...entertain me.

I think people over analyze movies to a point where they are looking for something wrong or some sort of hidden meaning to the movie, trying too much to disect the characters depth or development, instead of trying to enjoy the movie. People also get caught up in the 'realism' of the movie. Which makes me laugh. It's a movie (FICTION) and you are worried about how real it is? Seriously?

Another thing is, not every story is going to appeal to everyone. However, it doesn't take a genius to see when a production has cut corners or, the lighting was bad, the acting was bad, horrible compositing, etc...Those things will take the viewer out of the 'experience'. It may be fine if you have a great story and you have really fine tuned the script, but, if you fail to make sure everything else is tight...well, you get the picture. No pun intended.

There are exceptions to the rules above though. For example, Night of the Comet. Is it a great movie, heck no, not even close. Full of bad acting, cheesy special effects and plenty of 80s bad hair. However, it's entertaining. Another movie I find entertaining is Damnation Alley from the 70s. Bad acting, HORRIBLE special effects, plenty of plot holes, but, still entertaining.

The liking or disliking of movies is just like any other art form and is very subjective in my opinion.

Now for the state that Hollywood is in now...I think they have officially ran out of original ideas, which is demonstrated by all of the movie and tv remakes they have spit out at us in the last few years. However, I don't mind the continuing of established franchises like The Terminator, Star Trek, Star Wars, James Bond, etc... I will divorce myself completely from the movies if I ever see a Joanie Loves Chachi movie.

Ehhh....except first and foremost, film is art, and has been making a name for itself as art practically since its conception. Film for entertainment (aka fictional movies) became popular with time.

Actually, everything a director does is intentional. What's so horrible about looking for meaning in a movie, anyway? Why does everything have to be 1 dimensional garbage just to be entertaining? It's why classic literature is so loved, and cheesy romance novels aren't taken too seriously. There's a REASON something entertains you. It's called creativity on the part of the filmmakers, whether it's a silly film or a serious film.

You say films are JUST FICTIONAL, so it doesn't matter if it maintains any kind of realism or believability, but you do admit that bad films take you "out" of the film. So...which is it?

Bad movies can be entertaining, sure, but what's propelled film to its popularity has been the diligence of filmmakers to make QUALITY film. Film would have stayed a fad and indeed faded if it hadn't been pushed so hard to be taken seriously.

Oh and the reason I'm so passionate about this is....I'm a film studies student. Sticking out tongue

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:When my

nigelTheBold wrote:

When my wife has a bad day at work, she and I usually have a "bad movie night." That's a night where we eat bad food, and watch bad movies. So far, the favorite bad movie is "Deep Blue Sea," a CGI-shark-fest. This is a movie that takes itself way too seriously, as cheesy as a Tillamook factory.

Lately, we've taken to watching old TV shows, like "A-Team" and "McGuyver" and "Kolchak: The Night Stalker." These are also cheesy-bad, and often worth the time invested.

As a side note: it's hard to tell which movie will fit Bad Movie Night. For instance, I absolutely love "Reign of Fire." My wife despises it. She claims it's just bad. For me, it's aged white cheddar. So your mileage may vary, as always.

You might want to check out Shark Attack 3, Deadly Friend, Jack Frost, and Troll 2

My brother brings home bad movies and those are among the funniest I've seen.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:You

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

You might want to check out Shark Attack 3, Deadly Friend, Jack Frost, and Troll 2

My brother brings home bad movies and those are among the funniest I've seen.

Shark Attack 3? You mean there's a Shark Attack 1 and 2? How exciting!

I've not seen Deadly Friend; I shall check it out. If the Jack Frost to which you refer is a 1964 movie about two star-crossed lovers who end up in Babba Yagga's chicken-legged house, I have seen the MST3K version. If you are referring to any of the other Jack Frost movies: I haven't seen any of them. I have also seen Troll 2 in both MST3K and original versions.

Yay! New movies.

Thanks, Cpt!

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Does,

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Yes and No   Smiling

"Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?"

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Sleestack
Sleestack's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint

peppermint wrote:

Ehhh....except first and foremost, film is art, and has been making a name for itself as art practically since its conception. Film for entertainment (aka fictional movies) became popular with time.

Yes it is art, no arguement here. To ME it is entertainment first, art second.

Quote:
Actually, everything a director does is intentional. What's so horrible about looking for meaning in a movie, anyway? Why does everything have to be 1 dimensional garbage just to be entertaining? It's why classic literature is so loved, and cheesy romance novels aren't taken too seriously. There's a REASON something entertains you. It's called creativity on the part of the filmmakers, whether it's a silly film or a serious film.

Everything a director does and tells the people working for him is intentional yes. Planning and execution don't always end up matching though unfortunately. Things do not have to be one dimensional at all to be entertaining, it's just that sometimes those 1 dimensional movies do end up being entertaining. I admire any filmmaker to be honest, regardless of how awful or good their project ended up being. It takes a lot of guts to present something to the world that is so easily critisized. Movies are labors of love regardless of genre, except for maybe porn.

Quote:
You say films are JUST FICTIONAL, so it doesn't matter if it maintains any kind of realism or believability, but you do admit that bad films take you "out" of the film. So...which is it?

Well, I did say there were exceptions to those rules. Smiling

Even movies "based on a true story" are fictional. I give those movies less leeway in not being more realistic though. But, take a movie like Real Genius with Val Kilmer. Seriously, like some college kids are going to sneak onto a military installation and get on a plane to mess with the laser that's on it, without being noticed? However, it fits for that movie, so it doesn't take you out of the experience. Every movie is its own universe with its own set of rules, even movies about giant sharks with LL Cool J in them.

Quote:
Bad movies can be entertaining, sure, but what's propelled film to its popularity has been the diligence of filmmakers to make QUALITY film. Film would have stayed a fad and indeed faded if it hadn't been pushed so hard to be taken seriously.

I don't think any filmmaker, with the few exceptions, intentionally wants to make a bad movie. A lot of the pioneers of film making should be thanked for a lot of what we see in todays movies. From some of the early Russian/Soviet filmmakers and their stylized editing techniques to the early Hollywood facilities in the way a movie was processed during post production, which is still in use today even within the various non linear editing software applications. I think movies would not have gained their popularity as quickly without people pushing them as a serious medium, but, I don't think they would have faded away if they were not pushed. Just my opinion though.

Quote:
Oh and the reason I'm so passionate about this is....I'm a film studies student. :P

I think it's awesome that you are passionate about it. Just don't let it become blinders, as you may miss some unique and fun opportunities. Just out of curiosity, what year are you in?

At present, I am somewhat, a few times removed from the 'industry' and oh the countless tales of horror and joy (mostly in post production) I have seen and heard. It is a cruel career field, but, it is also probably one of the most rewarding, in my opinion. Don't ever lose the passion and the love for it.

I actually think that we are in a very exciting time for independent filmmakers, as access to equipment and post production resources is becoming cheaper and cheaper and filmmakers out there who aren't given the time of day by the major studios, will now finally be able to get their projects out to the rest of the world. The only limits will be a persons creativity.

Please don't take this as me arguing with you, I'm just sharing how I see things and my opinions in regards to movies, especially crappy ones. Laughing out loud

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleestack wrote:I actually

Sleestack wrote:

I actually think that we are in a very exciting time for independent filmmakers, as access to equipment and post production resources is becoming cheaper and cheaper and filmmakers out there who aren't given the time of day by the major studios, will now finally be able to get their projects out to the rest of the world. The only limits will be a persons creativity.

Don't forget special effects. It's amazingly cheap and fast to do something today that would have cost millions and countless hours 20 years ago. Smiling

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Don't forget

Vastet wrote:

Don't forget special effects. It's amazingly cheap and fast to do something today that would have cost millions and countless hours 20 years ago. Smiling

"Hollywood! Making crappy movies faster than ever before! With a bold new look!"

I do loves me some eye candy.

Sleestack
Sleestack's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Sleestack

Vastet wrote:

Sleestack wrote:

Oh absolutely! You don't even have to go back that far. For Starship Troopers, the scene at the abandoned base where all the bugs surround it, took (if I remember correctly), something like 40 hours to render 1 frame.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Yes and No   Smiling 

"Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?"

"Give me some suga, baby."

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I LOVE

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Jack Frost was effing hilarious. If you want some other recommendations, although I imagine they would be incredibly difficult to find, you need to check out these two films. I'm positive that they are by far THE ABSOLUTE WORST movies in the universe, and therefore accidentally the funniest.

1) Return to Frogtown. Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xx3tIP40ZE

And even worse still....

2) R.O.T.O.R. CLIP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHZQnpK_mgY

(Note: It's a robocop-esque horror film. Wait for the robocop to show up for the hilarity to start.)

Holy Shit! I love youtube for having the these!!!

Quote:

Does Army of Darkness count as "bad"?

Not really. Army of Darkness is more like... campy. It's bad, but it knows it's bad. All of it was done entirely on purpose. Cheeziness was its goal, and it succeeded, and therefore it's good, and actually kind of smart.

It's the movies that genuinely fail that are bad. Eye-wink

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Speaking of bad movies

Speaking of bad movies that were entertaining, Tenacious D And The Pick Of Destiny. Is king for me in this department. Bad comidy with has a musical twist has always been good. tbh the songs are the only thing that made it entertaining, the rest of the movie is truely horrible beyond any hope. 

All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dude, that was an awesome

Dude, that was an awesome movie. How could anyone call it bad?

Well...ok. The scene(s) where Jack was talking/reacting to "sasquatch" was a bit much, but the rest of the film was sweet. And the music was great. Except for in the same aforementioned scene.

Had a good plot, character development, the story was smooth, there was character adversity and obstacles to overcome. It should have been nominated for an Oscar.

lol.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:Sleestack

peppermint wrote:

Sleestack wrote:

Oh and the reason I'm so passionate about this is....I'm a film studies student. Sticking out tongue

I'm kind of dichotomous when it comes to this, in that I really dig heavy European cinema from the 50s and 60s and arthouse in general, but I also have a soft spot for dick and fart jokes.  For instance, I installed a TV for one of my friends last weekend; I turned it on, and as fate would have it Dumb and Dumber was on.  I laughed my ass off for the next hour or so.

pablotar
pablotar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote: 2)

Archeopteryx wrote:

2) R.O.T.O.R. CLIP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHZQnpK_mgY

(Note: It's a robocop-esque horror film. Wait for the robocop to show up for the hilarity to start.)

Detective MANGO!

Eden had a 25% murder rate and incest was rampant.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Dude, that was

Vastet wrote:

Well...ok. The scene(s) where Jack was talking/reacting to "sasquatch" was a bit much, but the rest of the film was sweet. And the music was great. Except for in the same aforementioned scene.

Had a good plot, character development, the story was smooth, there was character adversity and obstacles to overcome. It should have been nominated for an Oscar.

lol.

Good plot ? Find a guitar pick that is actually satans tooth so they could pay the rent? lol was origanal though   never said it wasn't entertaining, just most of the scenes without music were just painfull. I will conceed it had the best ending of any movie ever though, A rock off with the devill, you don't get better than that.

All animals are equal.

D-Pad (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I am with you pretty much on

I am with you pretty much on the whole Hollywood pushing shit while letting good movies go unnoticed.  Hence Fast and Furious making shittons of money while Adventureland floundered.   HOWEVER do not diss Pixar.  Pixar puts out incredibly deep and heart-wrenching films that I am proud to place in my list of favorite films of all time (which would contain movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind rather than JTMD btw), not to mention the animation only becomes more and more breathtaking with each film.  I also miss 2D animation, which is why I am hoping the upcoming "The Bear and the Bow" does well, but just because studios like Dreamworks and Fox put out clusterf*&^s which they call movies like Space Chimps in response to Pixar movies like Wall-e (incredible!) doesn't mean Pixar ruined animation.  And to give credit where credit is due, not all Dreamworks animation movies are terrible (Shrek 1&2, Antz, and Kung Fu Panda are all a lot of fun), but I can't say the same for Fox.  Also, if you need the 2d animation, check out Waltz with Bashir or Persepolis, but very deep and adult tales which are done in 2d animation. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Vastet

Tapey wrote:

Vastet wrote:

lol.

Good plot ? Find a guitar pick that is actually satans tooth so they could pay the rent? lol was origanal though   never said it wasn't entertaining, just most of the scenes without music were just painfull. I will conceed it had the best ending of any movie ever though, A rock off with the devill, you don't get better than that.

If you do something original in a movie(or book, or game, or whatever), you get automatic bonus points for it from me(even if it was horrible and annoying). Those bonus points are worth more than the usual points, since 99.999999999999999999% of all movies are literally regurgitated scripts and plots with new actors to play the roles.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Enemy at the

Vastet wrote:

Enemy at the Gates

enemy at the gates???  come on, man, BOB HOSKINS as krushchev?  as an avid reader of soviet history, i cringed when he walked in the door and introduced himself in that cockney accent as "niki'er krushchev."  as i recall, he even mispronounced krushchev, which is very common, but for a film, come on, do some casual research.  the "ev" on the end of krushchev should be pronounced the same as in gorbachev.

but bob hoskins and this film in general are part of my whole irritation with the cinema world's weird take on linguistic consistency (or lack thereof).  why do all the russians talk like londoners, but the germans speak german?  (another memory: a line from the protagonist's inner monologue at the beginning of the film as he draws a bead on a wolf: "oi pu' snow in moi mouf." )  why not get russian actors and give us subtitles?  are we really considered that retarded?  or just have everyone speak english?  god knows plenty of hollywood films have done that with stories involving multiple nationalities and, in my opinion, it's no more retarded and a lot less annoying.

another film that did this which was actually supposed to be a very intelligent film was roman polanski's "the pianist": all the polish speak english (though not cockney, thank god) and the germans speak german.  the most embarrassing moment in the film comes when a nazi soldier tries to communicate with polish jews in pidgin english which is actually supposed to be pidgin polish.

the MOST irritating example, however, is the recent straight-to-dvd release of a film about che guevara (not soderbergh's epic) which has ALL spanish-language actors and i bought it in the spanish section of wal-mart, and the whole thing was shot in ENGLISH.  shit, and i thought the 1969 film with omar sharif as che and JACK FUCKING PALANCE as fidel was awkward.

finally, let's not forget the most classic example: "robin hood, prince of thieves," in which every actor is either english or speaks with an english accent EXCEPT kevin costner, the fucking LEAD ROLE.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Vastet

iwbiek wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Enemy at the Gates

enemy at the gates???  come on, man, BOB HOSKINS as krushchev?  as an avid reader of soviet history, i cringed when he walked in the door and introduced himself in that cockney accent as "niki'er krushchev."  as i recall, he even mispronounced krushchev, which is very common, but for a film, come on, do some casual research.  the "ev" on the end of krushchev should be pronounced the same as in gorbachev.

but bob hoskins and this film in general are part of my whole irritation with the cinema world's weird take on linguistic consistency (or lack thereof).  why do all the russians talk like londoners, but the germans speak german?  (another memory: a line from the protagonist's inner monologue at the beginning of the film as he draws a bead on a wolf: "oi pu' snow in moi mouf." )  why not get russian actors and give us subtitles?  are we really considered that retarded?  or just have everyone speak english?  god knows plenty of hollywood films have done that with stories involving multiple nationalities and, in my opinion, it's no more retarded and a lot less annoying.

another film that did this which was actually supposed to be a very intelligent film was roman polanski's "the pianist": all the polish speak english (though not cockney, thank god) and the germans speak german.  the most embarrassing moment in the film comes when a nazi soldier tries to communicate with polish jews in pidgin english which is actually supposed to be pidgin polish.

the MOST irritating example, however, is the recent straight-to-dvd release of a film about che guevara (not soderbergh's epic) which has ALL spanish-language actors and i bought it in the spanish section of wal-mart, and the whole thing was shot in ENGLISH.  shit, and i thought the 1969 film with omar sharif as che and JACK FUCKING PALANCE as fidel was awkward.

finally, let's not forget the most classic example: "robin hood, prince of thieves," in which every actor is either english or speaks with an english accent EXCEPT kevin costner, the fucking LEAD ROLE.

I've always been of the mind that this is a concession granted by the viewer to the industry to allow for a more entertaining story. I personally don't much like reading subtitles, it means you're missing the action on screen. I'm willing to ignore linguistic concerns in film, simply because to be truly authentic would remove any possibility for a good story to be told and be at all entertaining.