Beyond mere delusion

Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond mere delusion

This is a pretty old, but I ran across it while browsing YouTube. Horrific.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Yes but ...

Witnesses who stood by and watched, perhaps catching it on their cellphones, said they heard something about demons. Assuming the news report is not sensationalzed which is a very stupid assumption there is more to consider.

There are lots of crazies in this world but people rarely act on their craziness on their own. There are a handful of drugs starting with old fashioned alcohol which induce behavior which would not happen without them. Given the cow pasture it is out in the country some place but on or in clear sight of a public highway so likely not premeditated. Kill in private and toss the body from a speeding car is premeditated. A better premeditation is kill in private and dump on a side road.

Given the description of the child an efficient kill is grabbing by the feet and a quick swing bringing the head to the pavement. Most any adult male and likely female could do this. But a highly emotional kill is described. This person was venting anger not just killing.

Christians are not the only people who have demons in their world image and in fact they have the least developed demonology when compared to much of Latin America. Granted Latins usually say they are Christian if not Catholic but their traditional superstitions are a major part of it. See Santera.

I am not trying to lessen this event but there are enough other factors that jumping from demons to Christian is not warranted absent a drug workup and knowing what all those wonderful witnesses heard.

If there were a way to bet on this I would go for alcohol plus meth or speed.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
Get real!  Without dogma

Get real!  Without dogma this would not have happened. 

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like the avatar Tony.

I like the avatar Tony. That's funny shit.

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks!  'Soon as I saw it

Thanks!  'Soon as I saw it I knew I had to use it!

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

TonyZXT wrote:

With the idea from anthopology that the more isolated the people the more their beliefs are like longer ago we find the more isolated the people the more demons and fewer, if any, gods they have. It is difficult to describe exactly. What we might call their gods are less molevolent than their demons.

If one subscribes to the connection between isolated and distance backwards in time then we would naturally expect more of this behavior without our current religions. Still I would expects our ancestors needing some kind of drugs to engage in this. We are wired so that infants are safe around us. It is nasty neighbors who have demons in them. This is abberent behavior for humans.

Or were you referring to the "don't get involved" dogma? What strikes me most about the story is not the one crazy whose behavior tracks better with drugs than with religion. It is the people who called 911 instead of stopping the murder in progress. The crazy is not described as being armed. These bystanders did not even have to fight him just distract him from stomping the kid.

While drugs and/or alcohol might explain the crazy's behavior nothing explains these heroes standing around watching. If you want a failure of religion look at those who watched instead of stopping it.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
User is offlineOffline
While I agree with Nony to

While I agree with Nony to some extent, I cannot ignore the actions of the aggressor in the video. Regardless of the source or reason of the delusion, or what the particular delusion was about, that doesn't prevent it from being what it is.

By no means would I suggest that bystanders were in the right to not get directly involved, however this doesn't justify the actions of the attacker. In truth, I'd like to think I would have personally tried to stop the man from hurting the child, but I don't really know what I would do if I were in that situation, as I've never been in a similar one.

If I did get involved, would I have been successful in saving the child? Would I have just wasted time attempting to stop someone who I was incapable of stopping when I could have spent the time more wisely by making a phone call?

At any rate, I'm not going to debate the details of what really happened here. Neither will I make any testimonies about what I would have done, or what is the morally or logically correct course of action in this case. You have to admit, it's a strange situation, and not one that anyone expects to have to plan for in their lifetime.

The truth is, I'm more interested in everyone else's opinion.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
TonyZXT wrote:Get real! 

TonyZXT wrote:

For all we know that man was a paranoid schizophrenic who thought that the demons in the child were out to get him. Even in a dogma-free world things like that would still happen. If this man was crazy (and he sure seems to be), a lack of dogma wouldn't fix his brain.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Psychosavant wrote:

While I agree with Nony to some extent, I cannot ignore the actions of the aggressor in the video. Regardless of the source or reason of the delusion, or what the particular delusion was about, that doesn't prevent it from being what it is.

By no means would I suggest that bystanders were in the right to not get directly involved, however this doesn't justify the actions of the attacker. In truth, I'd like to think I would have personally tried to stop the man from hurting the child, but I don't really know what I would do if I were in that situation, as I've never been in a similar one.

How can you possibly read what I said as JUSTIFYing the attacker? I merely said it looks to me that there was more to it. Drugs and drinking justify nothing. They do not relieve culpability in law or in fact. I have no problem with anyone putting anything they want into their body. But they are responsible for what they because of it. It is a consequence to their action. The most it can do it reduce any crime they commit from the premediated category. In this case, life instead of lethal injection. Big hairy difference.

And no, I don't know what I would do either. Never been there. I have been in much less violent situation and I do know I have gotten involved. Everyone is not me. Nor was there a head count of how many did not get involved. But a helo "in the area" had to travel there and then land and short of a Nam vet that is at least two minutes. I cannot imagine watching it for two minutes and doing nothing. Pardon, that is the way I am. As I say, I have done it for less. And not to say it worked. Two men wanting to wale on each other who ignore me is not something I give a second try.

Psychosavant wrote:
If I did get involved, would I have been successful in saving the child? Would I have just wasted time attempting to stop someone who I was incapable of stopping when I could have spent the time more wisely by making a phone call?

My question is how anyone could stand around doing nothing. This was not quite an even match. This was watching murder in progress. There is no way to say it was not that. They would not have called the police otherwise.

Psychosavant wrote:
At any rate, I'm not going to debate the details of what really happened here. Neither will I make any testimonies about what I would have done, or what is the morally or logically correct course of action in this case. You have to admit, it's a strange situation, and not one that anyone expects to have to plan for in their lifetime.

The truth is, I'm more interested in everyone else's opinion.

It is always a major risk talking about what is in the news as reporters are trained to fit the facts into one of many learned stories. But this story is like that infamous woman was murdered in NYC and the people who saw it happened just called the police. Genovesa? At least they were many stories up when they did it. These people were out of their cars watching.

The story says there was farmland and fence near the road. If they stopped they were on the shoulder and cannot have been more than 100 feet from the scene of the crime. And they are on the shoulder not standing on the roadway.

So I say again there is one abberent case of a person believing in demons against "many" who would not step in. The one may be mitigated by drug and/or alcohol. Nothing mitigates the behavior of the rest.

My original sarcasm was, maybe they were capturing it on their cell phones. Perhaps that was not obvious enough.

www.ussliberty.org

Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:How can

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

How can you possibly read what I said as JUSTIFYing the attacker?

Um, I didn't.