Game reviews?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Game reviews?

Every now and then I notice someone posting a movie review. I've done a couple of those, but I vastly prefer the game media for such things. I was wondering if there'd be any voice of dissent to posting game reviews I've done over time on my blog or in a particular forum. I'm not about to suggest that every game I would post for is a new release, or that I can do new releases very often, but the odd one will come out. And it's something I do to an extent anyway. I'm sure there are a couple others on the forums who would also do the odd one, or comment on reviews done.

To add to this, a suggestion for a media review/discussion forum, so movie and game reviews are all located in a specific spot for people's interest. I notice there is no entertainment section for the RRS as I make this suggestion.

No hard feelings if the answer is no. I'm just kind of bored, and thought this might be a way to increase membership through other interests. All the sites I used to post my reviews on are either no longer frequented by myself or no longer exist.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, my opinion is to say

Well, my opinion is to say yes.  Not that mine matters to Sapient or anyone else.  Even so, such material is what google uses and I would have no problem with brining more people our way.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I would say yes if

I would say yes if anyone cared what I thought. If you do should be interesting to read, never trusted game reviews though as normally they are so wrong, so woefully wrong.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
User is offlineOffline
Erm... I think you know what

Erm... I think you know what my response would be.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:  I would say

Tapey wrote:

I would say yes if anyone cared what I thought. If you do should be interesting to read, never trusted game reviews though as normally they are so wrong, so woefully wrong.

This is why I started writing them in the first place. I found that 99% of all reviews were done up within 40 odd minutes of the release of the game. While that might be fine for the magazine/site/whatever in question, it does no service to the game or the people who will play it. It means the review can only be relevant to initial gameplay, probably 5 or 6 minutes worth. It says nothing about nothing regarding: replayability, hardcore enthusiasts, genre enthusiasts, or anything else. It's strictly for the casual gamer, who buys maybe one game a year, and plays maybe 20 hours worth of games in that same year. It also means that many reviews contain blatantly false information, as you might start off without abilities that you will later gain, and the reviewer will not realize that until a week after his/her review has already been published.

Psychosavant wrote:

Erm... I think you know what my response would be.

4 for, 0 against. Looking good. Laughing out loud

Btw, I'm sure Sapient cares about your opinions. You might be surprised at what he pays attention to. I've had at least a couple discussions with him that I never would have expected to have were he not an administrator who actually pays attention to and cares about the site he administrates.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Tapey

Vastet wrote:

Tapey wrote:

This is why I started writing them in the first place. I found that 99% of all reviews were done up within 40 odd minutes of the release of the game. While that might be fine for the magazine/site/whatever in question, it does no service to the game or the people who will play it. It means the review can only be relevant to initial gameplay, probably 5 or 6 minutes worth. It says nothing about nothing regarding: replayability, hardcore enthusiasts, genre enthusiasts, or anything else. It's strictly for the casual gamer, who buys maybe one game a year, and plays maybe 20 hours worth of games in that same year. It also means that many reviews contain blatantly false information, as you might start off without abilities that you will later gain, and the reviewer will not realize that until a week after his/her review has already been published.

Not to mention they insist on giving insanely high scores, I don't really have a problem with scores(just prefer ones without) but for some reason they are normally  insanely high. My favorite game of all time, I would give max of 85/100 that’s final fantasy VIII. And even that is all nostalgia; if I were to play it again I’m sure it would suck. 

All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
FFVIII is one of my

FFVIII is one of my favourites myself. I know I can still play it and have fun, because I just did within the last year. I personally score it higher than 85, but not a lot higher. 95 maybe. But then, it's my favourite in the series after VI, so I have admitted bias. 

I agree that there are some pretty high scores for some mediocre at best titles. There's only a few games out there that I've given top marks to. Tetris, The Id Anthology(Doom, Doom2, the Keen series, and a bunch of other games as well all wrapped in one package, with accessories!), and Final Fantasy VI come to mind. I'm not sure I've marked any other game at full marks. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've played any other game that would deserve them. Hell, Tetris got it in part due to nostalgia(and really, how can you fuck up with Tetris?). Noone has yet gained bonus marks to go over 100(bonus marks maybe, but they were suffering in score before they picked them up), and I have always wondered if anyone could pull it off. Even some of the best games have flaws and bugs, as well as examples of poor design and corner cutting. Corner cutting especially pisses me off, because there is always remnants left over to tease the gamer like the whole reviving Aeris of FFVII shit. Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is a perfect example. The game was nearly flawless in gameplay, music, and voice acting. But they fucked up the story hard core, and rushed it to print leaving a few side quests and secrets noticably unfinished. A possible 80-90 drops down to the 40-60 range.

Damn.. I'm rambling...

Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: This is why I

Vastet wrote:

This isn't entirely accurate. The game development consists of several cycles:

Pre-concept

Concept

Pre-production

Production

Alpha

Beta

Gold

Post Production

Games are typically sent to reviewers during Beta. They are not packaged which is only done in Post Production. A reviewer will usually get a copy of the game on the same kinds of writeable disc format that you use to record music on. Then they'll take a black sharpee and write "FINAL" on it indicating that it is the final version, or at least close enough to accurately represent the shipping product (sometimes may have a few minor bugs that will be fixed before shipped, or may not even have a setup program, but rather just a bit by bit copy of the game).

How early a development team sends a game to a review usually depends on the amount of content in the game. The more content, the earlier they'll send it, so that a reviewer has plenty of time to review the game before it's released.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Psychosavant wrote:This

Psychosavant wrote:

This isn't entirely accurate. The game development consists of several cycles:

Yeah, but the effect is the same. And I didn't want to go to the trouble of typing all this out too. Sticking out tongue

Psychosavant wrote:
Games are typically sent to reviewers during Beta.

Yes, and this is more than half of the problem I think. The infamous beta test has become a standard in the industry. Once it was nearly impossible to get in on one without experience. Now even major programs(see Windows Vista) are released as beta products. It's the industry getting ahead of itself, and sooner or later I think it's going to catch up with them like that whole 90's .com....fun. However, that is another discussion entirely...

Psychosavant wrote:
 They are not packaged which is only done in Post Production. A reviewer will usually get a copy of the game on the same kinds of writeable disc format that you use to record music on. Then they'll take a black sharpee and write "FINAL" on it indicating that it is the final version, or at least close enough to accurately represent the shipping product (sometimes may have a few minor bugs that will be fixed before shipped, or may not even have a setup program, but rather just a bit by bit copy of the game).

How early a development team sends a game to a review usually depends on the amount of content in the game. The more content, the earlier they'll send it, so that a reviewer has plenty of time to review the game before it's released.

I stand by the opinion that one cannot properly review a game unless one has the final, off the shelves, product in hand. Furthermore, one cannot write a proper review on a game unless they have sunk at least 10 hours worth of gameplay into the game. Preferrably 20 hours. Even Tetris would take a 5-10 hour session before a proper review could be done. A Fable or a Final Fantasy or a Dragon Quest (etc) should take at least a month. Obviously this causes a financial and strategy issue for publishers in both games and magazines, but they're the ones who tend to support unfinished and crappy products that don't live up to the hype.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:FFVIII is one

Vastet wrote:

FFVIII is one of my favourites myself. I know I can still play it and have fun, because I just did within the last year. I personally score it higher than 85, but not a lot higher. 95 maybe. But then, it's my favourite in the series after VI, so I have admitted bias. 

I agree that there are some pretty high scores for some mediocre at best titles. There's only a few games out there that I've given top marks to. Tetris, The Id Anthology(Doom, Doom2, the Keen series, and a bunch of other games as well all wrapped in one package, with accessories!), and Final Fantasy VI come to mind. I'm not sure I've marked any other game at full marks. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've played any other game that would deserve them. Hell, Tetris got it in part due to nostalgia(and really, how can you fuck up with Tetris?). Noone has yet gained bonus marks to go over 100(bonus marks maybe, but they were suffering in score before they picked them up), and I have always wondered if anyone could pull it off. Even some of the best games have flaws and bugs, as well as examples of poor design and corner cutting. Corner cutting especially pisses me off, because there is always remnants left over to tease the gamer like the whole reviving Aeris of FFVII shit. Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is a perfect example. The game was nearly flawless in gameplay, music, and voice acting. But they fucked up the story hard core, and rushed it to print leaving a few side quests and secrets noticably unfinished. A possible 80-90 drops down to the 40-60 range.

Damn.. I'm rambling...

lol maybe i'm just more stricked with scores, think I might play FFVIII again found my ps1 a week ago  Btw FFVI is awsome second best in the series truely a gem definatly rivals FFVIII. The prime example of over rated games is halo, definatly not a bad game but dead average. There are aso many like this. My main problem with them is as you said is they are rushed out and are for the most part not very accurate or at all helpfull.

But back on topic, bring on the reviews.

All animals are equal.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: I stand by

Vastet wrote:

I stand by the opinion that one cannot properly review a game unless one has the final, off the shelves, product in hand. Furthermore, one cannot write a proper review on a game unless they have sunk at least 10 hours worth of gameplay into the game. Preferrably 20 hours. Even Tetris would take a 5-10 hour session before a proper review could be done. A Fable or a Final Fantasy or a Dragon Quest (etc) should take at least a month. Obviously this causes a financial and strategy issue for publishers in both games and magazines, but they're the ones who tend to support unfinished and crappy products that don't live up to the hype.

100% agreed, to fully get a grip on a game(review standards) you have to of played it through, the final product, for an rpg game like FFVIII that is 50 hours atleast and even then you haven't played though the game to its fullest. You need to play the game to the fullest to give a proper review. Not just rush through the game.

All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't disagree. I've

I can't disagree. I've been wondering if maybe the whole Halo thing is just MS desperately focusing extraordinary funding on Halo, just to prop it up amongst their customers. Either that or their fanboys have been so desperate for an exclusive killer APP for so long that they'll latch onto almost anything.

It's not a horrid game by any stretch, and the graphics are pretty sweet, but it wasn't even half as fun as the original Doom(1993 vs 2002+ there folks!). To say nothing of Wolfenstein, Doom 2, Doom 3.....etc. I can't comment on the story, because the game couldn't keep my attention long enough to finish the first Halo, let alone the sequels. Of course, in it's defense, it was going up against Final Fantasy 12, Mortal Kombat Deception, and GTA San Andreas in my collection at the time I had access to it and desire to play it. But still...Microsoft has to try a bit harder I think. And not by throwing money at a wall like they've been doing for the past 7 to 9 years. At least Nintendo finally smartened up after 15 years of sheer stupidity. I was starting to think they were going to go the way of Sega.

I'm going to shuffle through my email and see if I can pull out a review or two for people's consideration. I'll post it in this topic. It's been awhile since I wrote any...

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't look for a score, I've

Don't look for a score, I've been thinking of a scoring strategy for quite some time now, but I haven't settled on one yet(way too many factors to squish into a legible scoring card). Until I do, scores are impossible for me to give. Also, I didn't go quite as far into it as I might have were I being paid to write reviews. So if you think I left something out, that's probably why. Sticking out tongue

Final Fantasy X-2
So much potential......

This game could have been even better than Final Fantasy X. But somehow it was mutilated.

The gameplay is excellent. A couple of new features make the battles even more enjoyable than ever before. Having the ability to make combo attacks was a beautiful addition to the gameplay.

The graphics are top notch. The PS2 was really pushed to the limit with this title. Environments and characters look great.

The music is...different to say the least. If you're looking for Final Fantasy style music, it's not going to happen. They even changed the winning tune at the end of battle. The music isn't bad necessarily, but it's not as good as it was in previous titles(in my humble opinion).

Yuna's voice actor must have taken some classes, because she's not as annoying to listen to in the sequel as she was in Final Fantasy X. And the other voice actors do a good or great job.

Even the story was impressive. At least, the basics behind it. It could have been a far more gripping and memorable story than it was. But the biggest flaw with this game is presentation. I almost don't know how to put it into words, but this game feels like Final Fantasy up until people start talking. Then all of a sudden you're propelled into a Charlies Angels soap opera. I have to wonder if the team who worked on this game even knew what Final Fantasy is supposed to be like. The atmosphere just was never there. It didn't feel like a Final Fantasy game, even though it was the sequel to one of the greatest Final Fantasy games ever.

The thing this game did the most for me is want to play the prequel again. More and more. If ever a game was designed to make people want the previous title, this was it. FFX-2 succeeded in making the events of FFX an epic for the people of Spira. But it didn't do a whole lot for itself.

--------------------------------------------

Fable

Lots of fun, for a while.
Fable is one of the most fun games I've played. How unfortunate that it is bogged down with some major flaws. 

The first is gameplay. The levelling system and all the skills were better designed for a game that would take 20 odd hours to beat. But the absolute most you can get from the story is about 13. The average person will probably finish it by 8-9 or less. An expert can probably do it in less than 6. 

Another problem here is that there are really too many magic spells for the design of the magic system. It would work fine if it weren't an action/rpg, but in the middle of a battle with 10 creatures, switching magic menus is the last thing you want to have to do. On the plus side, you will probably pick only 6-9 spells for general use throughout the game, so switching the menu's isn't as bad as it could be. Beyond that, the gameplay is excellent. Mini-games, side quests, npc interaction is all good. It's easy to do what you want your character to do in a fight as well.

The story is rather mediocre. There's nothing exciting about it, though it can grab you emotionally at times. Mostly depending on your own actions. But there's another problem. Most of your actions do not make a difference to the story. And almost none of them really matter to the direction the game will take. Yet Fable was supposed to be big on the choices, having your experience change greatly by killing this guy instead of saving him, or some such activity. Character interaction with NPC's is the only major change.

There aren't nearly enough side quests. Getting teased by 3 really cool looking ones, that you can never do, is aggravating. To say the least. 

With the sounds, there is perfection. I never noticed a problem with the soundtrack, and never felt that something was off. The music itself rather depends on your taste, but it worked well for me.

While the graphics are great overall, there are some frame rate issues. Every now and then the game will slow down significantly. It reminds me of lagging on a MMORPG more than anything. I have to consider this an inexcusable problem. Something I might expect on a PC, where I can change settings or upgrade my system. Not on a static console where you just have to deal with it.

It's pretty cool being able to choose whether you're a good or an evil person, but it has next to nothing in impact. 2 or 3 quests you can take one or the other side of. For the rest, your choice in morals is irrelevant. You can play the entire game as an angel, only to turn viciously evil in the last second of gameplay and see the evil ending instead of the good one. That strikes me as strange, to say the least.

Beyond that, the endings aren't particularly impressive. Comparable to Doom really. The first Doom. Static picture, bit of narration, credits. All in the span of 60 seconds or less. And here I thought it was the 21st century.

The game is rather addictive. Not too hard, not too easy, and should be at least tried for it's innovations and because it is fun. Though I wouldn't recommend buying it before trying it. Easily the biggest flop of the year when it comes to living up to the hype.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Don't look for

Vastet wrote:

Don't look for a score, I've been thinking of a scoring strategy for quite some time now, but I haven't settled on one yet(way too many factors to squish into a legible scoring card). Until I do, scores are impossible for me to give. Also, I didn't go quite as far into it as I might have were I being paid to write reviews. So if you think I left something out, that's probably why. Sticking out tongue

No score is the best score, it distracts from the rest of the review.

Vastet wrote:

Fable

Lots of fun, for a while.
Fable is one of the most fun games I've played. How unfortunate that it is bogged down with some major flaws. 

The first is gameplay. The levelling system and all the skills were better designed for a game that would take 20 odd hours to beat. But the absolute most you can get from the story is about 13. The average person will probably finish it by 8-9 or less. An expert can probably do it in less than 6. 

Another problem here is that there are really too many magic spells for the design of the magic system. It would work fine if it weren't an action/rpg, but in the middle of a battle with 10 creatures, switching magic menus is the last thing you want to have to do. On the plus side, you will probably pick only 6-9 spells for general use throughout the game, so switching the menu's isn't as bad as it could be. Beyond that, the gameplay is excellent. Mini-games, side quests, npc interaction is all good. It's easy to do what you want your character to do in a fight as well.

The story is rather mediocre. There's nothing exciting about it, though it can grab you emotionally at times. Mostly depending on your own actions. But there's another problem. Most of your actions do not make a difference to the story. And almost none of them really matter to the direction the game will take. Yet Fable was supposed to be big on the choices, having your experience change greatly by killing this guy instead of saving him, or some such activity. Character interaction with NPC's is the only major change.

There aren't nearly enough side quests. Getting teased by 3 really cool looking ones, that you can never do, is aggravating. To say the least. 

With the sounds, there is perfection. I never noticed a problem with the soundtrack, and never felt that something was off. The music itself rather depends on your taste, but it worked well for me.

While the graphics are great overall, there are some frame rate issues. Every now and then the game will slow down significantly. It reminds me of lagging on a MMORPG more than anything. I have to consider this an inexcusable problem. Something I might expect on a PC, where I can change settings or upgrade my system. Not on a static console where you just have to deal with it.

It's pretty cool being able to choose whether you're a good or an evil person, but it has next to nothing in impact. 2 or 3 quests you can take one or the other side of. For the rest, your choice in morals is irrelevant. You can play the entire game as an angel, only to turn viciously evil in the last second of gameplay and see the evil ending instead of the good one. That strikes me as strange, to say the least.

Beyond that, the endings aren't particularly impressive. Comparable to Doom really. The first Doom. Static picture, bit of narration, credits. All in the span of 60 seconds or less. And here I thought it was the 21st century.

The game is rather addictive. Not too hard, not too easy, and should be at least tried for it's innovations and because it is fun. Though I wouldn't recommend buying it before trying it. Easily the biggest flop of the year when it comes to living up to the hype.

Best summary,  'the perfect Rpg for people under the age of 13'. My view, It is full of bugs, Its ok for a casual fling but not a game I would recommend to anyone over 13. The only fun I got from it is beating up peasants, kicking chickens and seeing how long I could get away with cheating on my wife. 

All animals are equal.

Todd
User is offlineOffline
Vastet, it was obvious to me

Vastet, it was obvious to me that FFVIII Was your favorite, but most people wouldn't recognize your avatar. When I got my PS2 some years ago I was looking at used games and saw a copy of FFX and I thought that if there were ten in the series someone must like it. It's still the game that I have had the most emotional response to, after all it was my first.

Right now I am enjoying Fallout 3 and I am replaying Elder Scrolls IV. I have also played Most of the Final Fantsy games (except for 3,4,11).

By the way, FFX is a good atheist game, the world religion turns out to be a lie used to keep the world locked in a pepetual cycle.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's actually tied for

It's actually tied for second favourite. It's my favourite to come out for the PS1 though. I like VIII and X about equally(X blew my mind with the atheist arguments thrown in against religion, but it wasn't quite enough in other categories [such as voice acting suckiness on the part of Yuna] to overtake VIII). VI is my absolute favourite.

I own the entire numerical series with the exceptions of Final Fantasy III and XI. III because I'm not buying a Nintendo Dual Screen just so I can play a remake of a game that was never released in North America; and XI because MMORPGs take too much money and effort to get anywhere. Not to mention that Sony dropped the ball hardcore with the PS2 modem/HDD.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
X-2's gameplay was decent,

X-2's gameplay was decent, but the story was disasteriffic.

I was so disappointed by it, the story seemed to be written by the Spice Girls.

I liked X and XII, Dragon Quest VIII, and Radiata Stories

Super Mario RPG for the Wii virtual console is a good one too.

Due to the lack of this generation RPGs, I'm focusing on action titles like GTAIV and RE5 and Mercs 2.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interesting how GTA came

Interesting how GTA came within a hair of being a full force RPG with San Andreas, only to reverse course with GTA IV eh?

There is of course FFXIII on the horizon. Just how far away the horizon is would be an entirely different question.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I used to really like the

I used to really like the FEAR series until Project Origin basically killed it for me. When the first FEAR originally came out, it was groundbreaking, with the slow-mo and the intricate plot. But there were some problems which Monolith said they would fix. For one, in the original FEAR and the expansion pack, the repetitiveness was so dreary. You would spend the entire time shooting down dark, narrow corridors. Again. and again. and again. The colors were all the same and drab. I was to depressed by it too be scared.

To be fair, FEAR 2 Project Origin did fix that problem. You now get to try your hand at the Replica Exoskeletons and you spend more time outdoors. The previous FEAR did not have a sniper rifle (the utterly unimaginative setting was not conducive to sniping). But this one did, and the combination of sniping and slow mo almost makes you feel sorry for the enemy. The weapons are entirely different from FEAR and the expansion packs, a welcome change. Blowing apart enemy squads of Replicas with what is basically a walking missile launcher with the thermal vision on, this is when FEAR 2 shines. If only it wasn't killed by the color scheme. Monolith did not fix the problem of lack of color that pervaded FEAR and its expansion packs. It was, if anything, worse. Because the whole area had basically been nuked by the explosion at the Armachan vault, everywhere you fucking went was covered with this miserable grey dust and it looked awful, even with the graphics maxed out.

SPOILERS:

But the thing which really killed FEAR 2 for me was the ending. It made no sense. It was ridiculous. There was no way Genevive Aristide could have followed you through a Gauntlet of enemy activity in a city which was completely destroyed, survive unnoticed, and stop you from destroying Alma. The hallucination that followed was equally bizarre. No explanation about what happened to Keegan is made. You have no idea what has happened to your character, Beckett, and the game just cuts on a flat note. After playing for that long I expected an ending that either set up a sequel or actually resolved the problem. Instead, the game just ends and no one has any idea what happened.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Has anyone out there played

Has anyone out there played Command&Conquer: Red Alert 3? I would like some opinions on this. I haven't gotten it yet, but I have never missed a C&C game. Although after I last got C&C 3, I didn't even finish it. Anybody?

Ps..waiting for Kevin to show up in this thread

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote: Has anyone out

Loc wrote:

Has anyone out there played Command&Conquer: Red Alert 3? I would like some opinions on this. I haven't gotten it yet, but I have never missed a C&C game. Although after I last got C&C 3, I didn't even finish it. Anybody?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:I used to

deludedgod wrote:

I used to really like the FEAR series until Project Origin basically killed it for me. When the first FEAR originally came out, it was groundbreaking, with the slow-mo and the intricate plot.

Really? you liked FEAR? >.<

Slow-mo and bullet time were "old-hat" by the time Fear came out and the plot... >.> what can i say about that? Super secret faction of the military ubducts 6 year old uber psychic girl, straps her into a machine which amplifies her powers AND steals her genetic code to breed an army of psyonically controled super soldiers (and 1 cannibal general)... which go on a rampage... insert you and guns, end of story *sniff sniff* mmm.... cheeeese. heh

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I've

Quote:
I've been wondering if maybe the whole Halo thing is just MS desperately focusing extraordinary funding on Halo, just to prop it up amongst their customers. Either that or their fanboys have been so desperate for an exclusive killer APP for so long that they'll latch onto almost anything.It's not a horrid game by any stretch, and the graphics are pretty sweet, but it wasn't even half as fun as the original Doom(1993 vs 2002+ there folks!).

I really have to disagree.

Doom was excellent for it's time - but, as the saying among Civilization players goes, "I'm afraid that time is long since passed, my chum," Sticking out tongue

First, Halo revolutionized the health status concept in FPS games. Before Halo, you went around a level and sporadically picked-up health items; not particularly immersive, and occassionally troublesome if your level designer wasn't on their game. After Halo, everybody borrowed the idea of simply allowing the player to regenerate lost health between firefights because it's a much simpler and more elegant solution.

Second, Halo's dialogue is very, very tight (Halo 3 slipped just a bit in this department, but remains miles ahead of any contemporary contender). I don't just mean the voice acting, either - the scripts themselves are very well written, the funny and whitty parts coming across as genuinely funny and witty (not surprising, either, given Bungee's prior work with the Myth series).

Third, you couldn't possibly make the argument that it is not fun to just sit down and play some Halo. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be any fanboys.

Anyway, that aside:

I largely agree that most major magazines do not give accurate scores. A lot of scores are essentially paid for by the publisher (Gamespot's review of Perfect Dark, anyone? Sticking out tongue ), while smaller game companies tend to just get shrugged at and handed mediocre, "Better luck next time, champ!" reviews so that hype can be continually fed into the blockbuster titles of the year.

GameFAQs tends to offer a better idea of what yu'll actually be picking-up - and, more importantly, all content submitted there is dynamic. Authors can update their reviews as patches come out for the game, as they get a better feel for the game, etc.

Quote:
I used to really like the FEAR series until Project Origin basically killed it for me. When the first FEAR originally came out, it was groundbreaking, with the slow-mo and the intricate plot. But there were some problems which Monolith said they would fix. For one, in the original FEAR and the expansion pack, the repetitiveness was so dreary. You would spend the entire time shooting down dark, narrow corridors. Again. and again. and again. The colors were all the same and drab. I was to depressed by it too be scared.

Fear's an absolute riot. The developers nailed the most important aspect - it's just so much damn fun to shoot guys in that game. STALKER got this right too, actually - you might consider checkingit out, as it shares a lot in common with Fear.

Quote:

Well, I have to say: I've had Red Alert 3 almost since it's release, and I haven't put it back in my CD drive since after the first week. It's just not nearly as imaginative as Tiberium Wars or Red Alert 2; the Japanese 'mecha' motif was not as well exploited as it could have been, nothing in the game feel particularly awesome (even the mighty Soviet Armageddon Tank just doesn't hit as hard as it seems it should), the special abilities all seem a tad contrived and some seem out of place (it would've been a better idea to only give a few specialized units more meaningful abilities, even if that perhaps seems 'standard').

The story is definitely just as fun, ridiculous and campy as any Red Alert story is supposed to be, but I just didn't find anything within the gameplay to keep my attention.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Really? you liked

Quote:

Really? you liked FEAR? >.<

Call me a skeptic of the notion that anyone (other than a rather squeamish female) could sit down and play FEAR without having any fun.

Sure, there are guys on every message board that decide to be the dissenters and claim that they were bored to tears 'suffering through' FEAR or Halo or Gears of War, or that it's just so much fun to play Battlecruiser 2000 AD or Maelstrom... but you just know that this sentiment doesn't actually translate to real life after they're done posting stuff on the internet for the day (I imagine, in fact, that most people finish badmouthing a particular game and then immediately go to play it afterward. Sticking out tongue )

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, and while we're talking

Oh, and while we're talking about games n' stuff:

SEGA sucks balls. Like, they put cocks right in their mouths and just go a-gobblin'. It was okay when their shittiness was only destructive to their own stuff, like their consoles and original IPs... but man, what they're doing to new developers who sign on with them is fucking awful.

How many people have heard of Petroglyph's Universe at War? Like, maybe 3 people in the whole world? Not exactly the best game, but really solid and tremendously innovative - and totally ruined by:

A) SEGA's decision to use Games for Windows LIVE, which was a paid-subscription only service at the time, for multiplayer

B) SEGA's decision to do 'grassroots advertising'. The thing is, to do grassroots advertising, you have to, y'know. Do said advertising. SEGA did no advertising at all, but just called it 'grass roots, word of mouth advertising' in order to justify spending no money and doing no work.

Result: Nobody has heard of Universe at War, certainly haven't played it, and it flopped.

Now then: who has heard of Stormrise?

What? Nobody?

SEG fuckin' A.

http://www.sega.co.uk/stormrise/stormrise.php

I know. Awesome, right?

Two months away.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Call me

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Call me a skeptic of the notion that anyone (other than a rather squeamish female) could sit down and play FEAR without having any fun.

Sure, there are guys on every message board that decide to be the dissenters and claim that they were bored to tears 'suffering through' FEAR or Halo or Gears of War, or that it's just so much fun to play Battlecruiser 2000 AD or Maelstrom... but you just know that this sentiment doesn't actually translate to real life after they're done posting stuff on the internet for the day (I imagine, in fact, that most people finish badmouthing a particular game and then immediately go to play it afterward. Sticking out tongue )

i fully admit being bored with Fear, after about the second level. Halo 1 at the time was a blast with coop/xbox... but i really, truly... suffer through Gears... i despise any game that takes 2 assault rifle mags, to the head, point blank, on an enemy player to kill them... yet melee is 1 hit kill. Come to think of it, Fear had the same with its multiplayer (although it was 3 melee hit kill).

Kevin R Brown wrote:

How many people have heard of Petroglyph's Universe at War? Like, maybe 3 people in the whole world? Not exactly the best game, but really solid and tremendously innovative - and totally ruined by:

A) SEGA's decision to use Games for Windows LIVE, which was a paid-subscription only service at the time, for multiplayer

B) SEGA's decision to do 'grassroots advertising'. The thing is, to do grassroots advertising, you have to, y'know. Do said advertising. SEGA did no advertising at all, but just called it 'grass roots, word of mouth advertising' in order to justify spending no money and doing no work.

Result: Nobody has heard of Universe at War, certainly haven't played it, and it flopped.

Im apperantly 1 of 3 people who;s heard of UaW, and 1 of 2 who bought it ^_^

What Would Kharn Do?

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I remember when I used to

I remember when I used to play console games(from the 2600 to the Nintendo to the Genesis, blah blah). I remember when I used to play stand alone PC games. I remember finding the original Enemy Territory, and learning to be a killer engineer. And so on, and so forth.

That all ended a few years back, when I picked up a DVD trial for a game called World of Warcraft. Goodbye, spare time! I'll miss you, going to sleep before 3AM!

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
thatonedude wrote:I remember

thatonedude wrote:

I remember when I used to play console games(from the 2600 to the Nintendo to the Genesis, blah blah). I remember when I used to play stand alone PC games. I remember finding the original Enemy Territory, and learning to be a killer engineer. And so on, and so forth.

That all ended a few years back, when I picked up a DVD trial for a game called World of Warcraft. Goodbye, spare time! I'll miss you, going to sleep before 3AM!

tsk tsk... break your WoW addiction...

Come to WAR

What Would Kharn Do?

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote: tsk

The Doomed Soul wrote:

tsk tsk... break your WoW addiction...

Come to WAR

Yeah, WAR. What a WoW ripoff! http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/10/

(I am assuming that we are talking about the same thing, otherwise this whole reply is pointless)

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
yes thats it... far better

yes thats it... far better than

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20081114.jpg

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:yes

The Doomed Soul wrote:

yes thats it... far better than

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20081114.jpg

LOL

The quests are quite repetitive. I'm into it for the lore(I also enjoy the books and other media) and for groups. I'm on a PVE server, so I engage in PvP when I'm in the mood. Normally, I'm grouping with guildies for instance runs. Well, that and making horrible jokes about sex and drugs, being the uncouth heathens that we are. I'm currently campaigning to raise money to send one of our tanks out to Nevada to find a hooker. That's just the type of guild we are.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
I've been wondering if maybe the whole Halo thing is just MS desperately focusing extraordinary funding on Halo, just to prop it up amongst their customers. Either that or their fanboys have been so desperate for an exclusive killer APP for so long that they'll latch onto almost anything.It's not a horrid game by any stretch, and the graphics are pretty sweet, but it wasn't even half as fun as the original Doom(1993 vs 2002+ there folks!).

I really have to disagree.

Doom was excellent for it's time - but, as the saying among Civilization players goes, "I'm afraid that time is long since passed, my chum," :P

Hell no. I still play Doom 1 every now and then. Only a graphics whore would say that its time is long past. Sticking out tongue

Kevin R Brown wrote:
First, Halo revolutionized the health status concept in FPS games. Before Halo, you went around a level and sporadically picked-up health items; not particularly immersive, and occassionally troublesome if your level designer wasn't on their game. After Halo, everybody borrowed the idea of simply allowing the player to regenerate lost health between firefights because it's a much simpler and more elegant solution.

I actually found it a cop out that made the game spectacularly easy, as long as there were enough weapons around the area.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Second, Halo's dialogue is very, very tight (Halo 3 slipped just a bit in this department, but remains miles ahead of any contemporary contender). I don't just mean the voice acting, either - the scripts themselves are very well written, the funny and whitty parts coming across as genuinely funny and witty (not surprising, either, given Bungee's prior work with the Myth series).

I can't disagree, but an FPS was never meant to be an immersive story. It's an immersive action experience. Stick to RPG's for long CG scenes and convoluted stories. An FPS just doesn't suit it. Every time you see one you get put out of the zone, and then the action starts anew and you have to get back into the zone.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Third, you couldn't possibly make the argument that it is not fun to just sit down and play some Halo. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be any fanboys.

I didn't say it wasn't fun period, just that it wasn't fun for me. It was too much of the same old shit, and what little they did revolutionize actually detracted from the experience in my opinion. Compared to Doom 3 and recent Quake games, it sucked in every way. Even when compared to Doom 1 and 2 it only surpassed them in story and graphics.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:First,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Aids revolutionized how most people see unprotected sex, doesn't mean it was a good thing. It was also the death of the challenging game, I agree health meters were not perfect but they are a dam side better than sitting behind a table for a couple seconds and presto instant heal, it means theres no need it be careful in a fight as when its over you are instantly back to full health. Health meters and health pick ups some how didn't harm immersion with me. Mabe if the system is improved apon il start to like it but as Ive seen it I don't. 

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Haven't you noticed there are fanboys for everything? That being said its ok, fun for acouple minutes then it gets boring as hell.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Fear's an absolute riot. The developers nailed the most important aspect - it's just so much damn fun to shoot guys in that game. STALKER got this right too, actually - you might consider checkingit out, as it shares a lot in common with Fear.

Quote:

If you mean STALKER clear sky I couldn't agree less, truely horrid. although iv been told it gets better ofter the first hour. I just couldn't push through it though.

All animals are equal.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Aids

Tapey wrote:

Aids revolutionized how most people see unprotected sex, doesn't mean it was a good thing. 

Heh... im stealing that line next time i have to spout anti-halo retoric!

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Tapey wrote:

If you mean STALKER clear sky I couldn't agree less, truely horrid. although iv been told it gets better ofter the first hour. I just couldn't push through it though.

No, im pretty sure he means "S.T.A.L.K.E.R", Clear sky is part 2 (kinda like Gta 3 to Vice city)

What Would Kharn Do?

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Kevin R Brown wrote:How

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I enjoyed it for a bit, could of done with a bit more improvment. Its a shame no one really has heard of it because it really wasn't a bad game. One of the better stratagy games ive played. 

All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I somehow skipped

I somehow skipped past Kevin blasting Sega. I can't miss out on that!

Kevin R Brown wrote:

SEGA sucks balls. Like, they put cocks right in their mouths and just go a-gobblin'. It was okay when their shittiness was only destructive to their own stuff, like their consoles and original IPs... but man, what they're doing to new developers who sign on with them is fucking awful.

Lol. Sega is one of the masters of innovation. Too bad they've also had some of the worst marketing strategies in history. I could write about Sega and their stupidity for an hour. In fact, I have. Though the net didn't exist quite the same back then, and my pc of the day has been awaiting attempted resuscitation of it's 20 mb hdd for almost 15 years now. Go Windows 3.1!

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Tapey wrote:

No, im pretty sure he means "S.T.A.L.K.E.R", Clear sky is part 2 (kinda like Gta 3 to Vice city)

In that case STALKER was fun to bad I got the gold ending, for some reason clear sky didn't click.

All animals are equal.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Doomy got it right; I meant STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl (I haven't tried clear sky yet).

Quote:
Aids revolutionized how most people see unprotected sex, doesn't mean it was a good thing. It was also the death of the challenging game, I agree health meters were not perfect but they are a dam side better than sitting behind a table for a couple seconds and presto instant heal, it means theres no need it be careful in a fight as when its over you are instantly back to full health. Health meters and health pick ups some how didn't harm immersion with me. Mabe if the system is improved apon il start to like it but as Ive seen it I don't.

lolwut

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I somehow

Vastet wrote:

I somehow skipped past Kevin blasting Sega. I can't miss out on that!

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Lol. Sega is one of the masters of innovation. Too bad they've also had some of the worst marketing strategies in history. I could write about Sega and their stupidity for an hour. In fact, I have. Though the net didn't exist quite the same back then, and my pc of the day has been awaiting attempted resuscitation of it's 20 mb hdd for almost 15 years now. Go Windows 3.1!

Windows 3.1 era was FTW!  I loved playing the blues brothers game back then, but in retrospect It was really awful

All animals are equal.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Lol. Sega is one of

Quote:
Lol. Sega is one of the masters of innovation.

SEGA: Masters of innovation.

Balkoth
User is offlineOffline
What was so bad about

What was so bad about Perfect Dark?  Sticking out tongue

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Half Life, or Half Life 2.

Anyone else play(ed) Starcraft, Warcraft III, and/or Neverwinter Nights?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
Lol. Sega is one of the masters of innovation.

SEGA: Masters of innovation.

Finally got around to watching this. lol. Awesome vid
I can answer what Sega was doing with this actually, in case anyone was wondering. Sega in America and in Japan were functioning like two seperate companies, working at odds with each other. It's been too many years to remember which did which, but one was developing the 32x while the other was developing the Saturn. In fact, this debacle can be creditted with perhaps about 60% of the reasons that Sega fell on its face within a year of the Dreamcast. Nintendo grabbed a lot of Sega fans during the mess, but then screwed up horribly themselves and split their agreement with Sony to make the Nintendo Playstation, and stuck with cartridges in favour of more polygonal capability. But Sony grabbed Squaresoft and Final Fantasy since a CD holds about 10 x as much info as a cartridge; and Final Fantasy games on the PS1 were 3-4 CD's long, and so Nintendo also did a face plant. Sony ruled the universe for the next ten years. lol.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Balkoth wrote:What was so

Balkoth wrote:

What was so bad about Perfect Dark?  Sticking out tongue

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Half Life, or Half Life 2.

Anyone else play(ed) Starcraft, Warcraft III, and/or Neverwinter Nights?

Haven't played any of the first three, though I've heard good things about them. I play Starcraft alot, Warcraft 2 a bit, Warcraft 3 I didn't like so much. Either I don't get it, or the computer has too many advantages in multiplay. Internet accessibility has been too unstable for me to get online with PC games for the last couple years. The PC that can actually run those games is currently borked with a well implanted virus. I thought it had an anti-virus program on it, but as it turned out no such luck. I can't believe my roomate hadn't had one on his pc. lol. The only real option for me at this moment is to attempt to scan the drive with my older HDD. But I'm not particularly sure how well a Win XP computer will run Win 98 and a Win 98 HDD, let alone whether or not a Win 98 system can scan a Win XP system. So it's just been sitting there collecting dust for the last few months.

Balkoth
User is offlineOffline
If you haven't played Half

If you haven't played Half Life or Half Life 2 and you enjoy FPS games...you need to play them.  Now.

Warcraft 3...yeah, the "easy" mode in skirmishes is equal to a decent human player.  The main way they make normal and hard modes is increasing the resources the comp gets per return (aka, on the hardest mode the comp gets like twice as much gold as you do).  If you don't play online versus other people, and get good there, you'll probably consistently get the stuffing knocked out of you by even the "easy" mode comp opponents.  The computer DOES build more efficiently and is more aggressive, but the resource gap can really suck.

If you want to learn in Warcraft 3, I'd suggest doing you and 2 easy comps versus 2 easy comps, 3 versus 2.  That'll help buy you room to practice your build orders and the like.

Neverwinter Nights is an RPG, loads of fun.

Shame to hear that about your computer, though.  If you ever get it fixed, I'd be happy to play Starcraft, WC3, and/or some other games with you.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heh. I have tried doing

Heh. I have tried doing campaigns with computer allies, but the fuckers are stupid. I either obliterate the enemy without contest(sometimes without even participating), or I get obliterated while they're off smacking someone else.

My biggest problem with WCIII beyond the difficulty is the speed setting. One can compensate for the computer's efficiency and even for it's resource aquisition advantages if one can slow the speed down enough to match the computer's ability to do 50 things in one fraction of a second. But with the speed setting stuck where it is, one is very much incapable of keeping up.

A big thanks in explaining what the difficulty levels actually do though. Shit moves too quickly to figure it out by watching replays, like one could do with the previous games in Blizzards inventory.

Neverwinter Nights is based within the Forgotten Realms setting, if I remember correctly? I haven't done much gaming in D&D since the mid 90's. For the longest time I simply didn't have anything capable of playing them. At the moment I still face that, coupled with the number of games that I need to catch up on before getting into the newer ones. lol.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Heh. I have tried

Quote:

Heh. I have tried doing campaigns with computer allies, but the fuckers are stupid.

You obviously haven't played Left 4 Dead.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nope. Good AI?

Nope. Good AI?

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah. It was just released

Yeah. It was just released and consequently has very sophisticated co-op AI. I prefer them to other people (other people tend to shoot you deliberately, or at least open fire without any concern for where their teammates are, whereas AI do not). The AI stick together, work as a team, and shoot accurately, whereas human teammates tend to go it alone Rambo style and consequently end up getting pounced by a special infected.

-Me

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"People" on gaming nets

"People" on gaming nets suck. Sometimes I wonder if they are the spawning point for the somewhat less idiotic theists we usually see. Every time you get into a new game you have to go through the same process of weeding out all the total idiots and troublemakers. Again.

Sometimes going Rambo is the only way to accomplish anything. lol.

I can't begin to describe the number of times I've wanted to reach through my tv and break their game system/pc.

/rant

Sounds pretty sweet, I'll have to take a look into it. 

I've been thinking for the last few years that it may be the gaming industry who finally breaks through some of the hurdles with AI. To my knowledge, no other industry has a fraction of as many people working on it. Granted, a lot of the people working on gaming AI are working with some pretty simplistic tasks, but then you have strategy and action games, where an intelligent and capable AI can be the main focus of the entire game.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, according to Derek

Well, according to Derek Smart, an artificial neural net has already been created in the gaming industry (by him). Sticking out tongue

Quote:

"People" on gaming nets suck. Sometimes I wonder if they are the spawning point for the somewhat less idiotic theists we usually see. Every time you get into a new game you have to go through the same process of weeding out all the total idiots and troublemakers. Again.

Sometimes going Rambo is the only way to accomplish anything. lol.

I can't begin to describe the number of times I've wanted to reach through my tv and break their game system/pc.

This is why the X-Box is awesome. Find a good team during a round of Gears of War? Friend 'em up with a couple of button strokes, and spend the afternoon shooting the fuck out of people with competent sidekicks you've previously networked with. Microsoft's decision to enable easy and reliable voice communication really paid-off (and I mean for both Microsoft and the average gamer); personally, I just had to pick-up mic software (I need to upgrade my mic hardware, tho) for my PC because there's just no other way I can imagine playing multiplayer games anymore.

Left 4 Dead's bots really are terrific, but I still prefer to play with people I can communicate with directly (even if they typically don't function as cohesively as the bots do).

Quote:

February 27, 1940

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
I LOVE video games even

I LOVE video games even though I don't have my own console, but I used to obsessively run down my hard drive with PC games.

When I have gotten the chance to use a console, I've found a bunch of truly awesome games. I'm also a lover of the PS2/PS3, and of course many old school games. Thought I'd share:

Shadow of the Colossus - This game is just GORGEOUS. You only fight gigantic bosses, but each boss is one gigantic puzzle/action game and running around the lush scenery is fun in itself.

Grand Theft Auto IV - I don't care if it's overhyped. It's SO FUN.

Resident Evil 4 - AMAZING game

God of War II - just as fun as the first one

Fatal Frame II - a very creepy game where your only weapon against realistic ghosts in a haunted town is a camera

The Sims 2 on the PC - classic, addicting...made me want to fill up my computer with so many custom objects that I had to uninstall it because my computer almost died Sad...haha

Oh yeah, and I installed the free trial version of WoW and couldn't stop playing. I had to delete it or I'd have no life.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby