Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of Murder and hatred

KJV wrote:

Exodus 20:

13 "Thou shalt not kill. "

Matthew 10:

18"Jesus said, 'Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, '"

19"Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. "

1 John 3:

15"Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him."

Luke 14:

26"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. "

So, murder is clearly not allowed, but it is written that if anyone hates his brother is a murderer in his heart. But we cannot follow Jesus unless we hate our father, mother, wife, children, brethren, sisters, and our own life.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Psychosavant wrote:KJV

Psychosavant wrote:

KJV wrote:

Exodus 20:

13 "Thou shalt not kill. "

Matthew 10:

18"Jesus said, 'Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, '"

19"Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. "

1 John 3:

15"Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him."

Luke 14:

26"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. "

So, murder is clearly not allowed, but it is written that if anyone hates his brother is a murderer in his heart. But we cannot follow Jesus unless we hate our father, mother, wife, children, brethren, sisters, and our own life.

My 2 cents:

1 John 3 was referring to Cain and Able and the works of the devil. Cain hated and killed his brother; not a candidate for the 'kingdom of god'.   ** I wonder if Cain had only just 'hated' his brother and walked away if he would be accepted into that kingdom?**

Luke 14:26 was trying to draw from the story/parable earlier in the chapter and I interpret it as:  Don't put your family in front of your dedication to the lord.

Although I feel the bible is just a bunch of stories, I feel that these authors were trying to make completely different points around 'hate'. One was focusing on the 'Hate' that surroungs the devil...the other the 'hate' one has to have of the comfort of those things on earth to accept the 'spirit' of the lord; acceptance into the kingdom.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/