Dawkins eXpelled...

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Dawkins eXpelled...

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/03/richard_dawkins_banned_in_okla.php

Have you heard it? Dawkins is getting expelled, from Oklahoma...

Quote:
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE 1ST SESSION OF THE 52ND OKLAHOMA LEGISLATURE:

THAT the Oklahoma House of Representative strongly opposes the invitation to speak on the campus of the University of Oklahoma to Richard Dawkins of Oxford University, whose published statements on the theory of evolution and opinion about those who do not believe in the theory are contrary and offensive to the views and opinions of most citizens of Oklahoma.

THAT the Oklahoma House of Representatives encourages the University of Oklahoma to engage in an open, dignified, and fair discussion of the Darwinian theory of evolution and all other scientific theories which is the approach that a public institution should be engaged in and which represents the desire and interest of the citizens of Oklahoma.

THAT a copy of this resolution be transmitted to the President of the University of Oklahoma, the Dean of the College of Arts and Science at the University of Oklahoma, and the Chair of the Department of Zoology at the University of Oklahoma.

Thank you, you nitwits of Oklahoma for making my day, and if it passes through we will have something to make fun of. Smiling

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: strongly opposes the

Quote:
strongly opposes the invitation to speak on the campus of the University of Oklahoma

Resolutions are NOT law, although I find them to be far to poweful considering that the lack of civics in America give laypeole the impression they are.

UNLESS Dawkins has committed a felony, there isn't a fucking thing they can do other than publically "wag their fingers" at him, which is what they are doing. They are pissing in the wind.

It is nothing but an attempt for the legislature to put pressure on the College to change their mind. But legally, they don't have to, and I hope they have the balls to stand up to bigots.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
strongly opposes the invitation to speak on the campus of the University of Oklahoma

Resolutions are NOT law, although I find them to be far to poweful considering that the lack of civics in America give laypeole the impression they are.

UNLESS Dawkins has committed a felony, there isn't a fucking thing they can do other than publically "wag their fingers" at him, which is what they are doing. They are pissing in the wind.

It is nothing but an attempt for the legislature to put pressure on the College to change their mind. But legally, they don't have to, and I hope they have the balls to stand up to bigots.

of course they can't do anything, thats why it's so funny. Smiling

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cue the ACLU/UoO in

Cue the ACLU/UoO in 5....4....

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
During the Great Depression,

During the Great Depression, the term "Okie" was often used pejoratively to mean "stupid, uneducated hick".

I now see why.

Quote:

whose published statements on the theory of evolution and opinion about those who do not believe in the theory are contrary and offensive to the views and opinions of most citizens of Oklahoma.

Quote:

encourages the University of Oklahoma to engage in an open, dignified, and fair discussion of the Darwinian theory of evolution

Yes. Of course. War is peace. Ignorance is Strength. Freedom is Slavery.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism