Biblical context - Names of Satan?

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Biblical context - Names of Satan?

Perhaps one of the Bible history buffs out there can lend me some of their knowledge (saving me from wading through the detritus of the internet):

I was under the impression that the reason that Christians (and Jews?) have so many names for Satan was because any rival religion's god or rival tribe's totem got added to the list of names. Is this true? I was able to find mention of that being the origin of "Beelzebub". Some appear to be considered separate entities (such as Belial) according to Jewish myth, but then the New Testament goes and uses them synonymously. Any ideas?

-Triften

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Temptations

The ancient word Satan means "tempter",  with the ideal of 'tempting you away from  yahweh'.    The modern muslims who refer to the USA  as the 'great satan'  are saying "america is the great temptation away from islam" .

In the bible has you mentioned the local gods were a temptation away from yahweh and those who wrote the bible did make the verious god-names synonymous with satan. Later Europeans equated satan with the devil.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?