The Many Things God Hasn't Done

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
The Many Things God Hasn't Done

No doubt there's some important stuff I'll have missed; feel free to add to the list as you see fit:

 

God did not create the universe

Our universe was formed via the expansion of a singularity and subsequent formation of structures by hydrogen atoms through gravitational attraction. A magical deity adds nothing to the known explanation.

 

God did not create the solar system or the Earth

Our sun was formed by the particle clouds left behind from previous stars, and our planet (as well as every other planet in the solar system) formed from an accretion disk surrounding our sun.

 

God did not create life on Earth

Life on Earth was formed through a chemical evolutionary process known as 'abiogenesis' (not to be confused with modern evolutionary science, dealing with the propagation of alleles through a population).

 

God did not create homo sapiens

Homo sapiens evolved along the primate branch of the genetic tree. We are simply the 'latest model' of great apes.

 

God did not give us 'souls' or 'free will'

Human beings are conscious and self-aware via their brains. An extra, magical source for our intelligence adds nothing to the known explanation.

 

God has yet to answer a prayer

Under controlled conditions, when a request is made via prayer for something unambiguous, nothing ever happens.

 

God did not provide us with accurate insight into the mechanics the universe he supposedly was somehow involved in erecting

None of the mythological texts supposedly divined into existence by God reflect reality.

 

God did not talk to you last night

You can kid yourself and your choir all you like. We both know it didn't happen.

 

God did not send his Holy Spirit through you

See above.

 

God did not invent morality

Morality was a trait favored by natural selection, as it encourages population growth & stability.

 

 

So then:

What the Hell did God do that is apparently so obvious to you? All of the things traditionally attributed to God are mis-attributions; it's just outright wrong to say that magic was somehow necessary to make the universe, Earth, people, etc. We also both know that you're being dishonest when you claim that a prayer was magically answered or that God manifested for you.

So: where does God come into it?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum,

Welcome to the forum, curious_george!

curious_george wrote:

What you don't understand is that God is knowable. You just have to take the time to get to know him. To do this you first have to believe that he exists. If you don't beleive he exist's then he isn't knowable.

How do I believe he exists if I don't know him?

curious_george wrote:
For example, there are people in this world that you have never met. You have never seen them, you haven't spoke to them, but commen sense tells you that they exist because you realize that you can't possibly know everyone.

Common sense tells me that there are people I haven't met. It doesn't tell me that if I attach numerous complex characteristics to a specific imaginary being, that there will just happen to be a being with these characteristics in existence. If that's your argument, then a few reductio ad absurdums should make it obvious that this line of reasoning is fallacious. 

curious_george wrote:
To think that you could get to know someone you have never met...you aren't even aware of thier existence except on a very small level...is unlogical.

You're not making any sense.

curious_george wrote:
You have to first meet God, then you can get to know him.

I'm guessing "meet" God is metaphorical. But, nevertheless, how do I "meet" God? Pray? Go to church? Then, I'll hear a small (inaudible) voice in my head that's indistinguishable from my thoughts or get tingly sensations in my body (that also occur when I eat ice cream) that are indistinguishable from strong emotions?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


curious_george
curious_george's picture
Posts: 38
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Answers

I am glad to provide you giggles. Happy actually. I love to hear other people's point of view.

1. That is the power of faith. I know many people don't like faith. It seems like a cop out. And in some ways it is...so I will give you other evidence. I believe God created the heavens and the earth. I believe that He spoke and it formed itself. "And God said, Let there be light. And there was light" Gen.1:2 Okay. That is what the Bible says...now for the science of it. Everything vibrates. All atoms vibrate. That is what makes them solid. Our voices are vibrations. It makes sense that God created the universe using his voice because His voice has vibration,too.

You are right, the Bible is the basis for what I believe. And yes, the Bible was written by men. And I know you know this, but I am going to repeat it anyways, I believe the Bible was written by men who had the Holy Spirit within them. However, you also base your beliefs on books. Books also written by men. Books that have mistakes, misprints,sometimes even lies. This is because it was written by men. Men are not perfect.

2.I might as well inquire of you...Does "I don't know" as an answer scare you so much that you have believe a theory, no hypothesis, that hasn't be proven true, so you avoid the scariest thing to you...that God might actually exist? (I'm sorry. That sounds mean.)

3.That's a hard one to answer. And I suppose that nothing I say can convince you, but I'll try. You don't see him, hear him, feel him, because you don't want to. You want to believe that there is no God so that you don't feel condemned. I understand that. It makes sense to me. I hate the Christians that go around and say "Believe in Jesus...or Go to hell" That is just wrong. I like to witness a different way. Through my actions, through my testimony. People look at me and know I am different. I am happy all the time. I am peaceful. I don't get angry. Even now, I could get angry at you for your sarcasm, and your arrogance. (Forgive me, I am not trying to insult you) But I don't. God speaks to me often. I know it is Him. I am a rational human being. And as such, I have a question for you, if you don't mind.

1. I believe that God always was...that He is an eternal being. That he exists outside of the dimension of time...and therefore is not bound to it like we are. I notice that your Big Bang theory has no explanation for the energy or the matter ( I think this is the singularity, but where did the singularity come from) or the space in which the Big Bang occured. While I suppose one thing:God. You suppose three things:energy, matter, and space. Or so it seems. Please explain.

2
"Oh say I'm happy!!"


curious_george
curious_george's picture
Posts: 38
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
More

You are putting way too much emphasis on my example. I meant it as simply that...an example. I'm sorry about not making sense. I think differently then most people, so I explain things different.

Meeting God was metephorical. I don't know how YOU "meet" God. It is different for everyone. I know how I met God, but I was raised to be more open minded then you are (about God, no disrespect intended) I know that you won't ever "meet" Him, unless you open your mind to the possibility of His existence. You act as if it is already set in your mind. God does not exist.-- it isn't God could exist, but I doubt it. You aren't open-minded about God, and so you wouldn't hear Him even if He was screaming at you.

This has nothing to do with anything but I noticed that you really like ice cream don't you? I think it is a very funny way to argue things. Its great when you have sense of humor about things.

2
"Oh say I'm happy!!"


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
curious_george wrote:Meeting

curious_george wrote:

Meeting God was metephorical. I don't know how YOU "meet" God. It is different for everyone. I know how I met God, but I was raised to be more open minded then you are (about God, no disrespect intended) I know that you won't ever "meet" Him, unless you open your mind to the possibility of His existence. You act as if it is already set in your mind. God does not exist.-- it isn't God could exist, but I doubt it. You aren't open-minded about God, and so you wouldn't hear Him even if He was screaming at you.

Does it always have to be more metaphors? What does "open" my "mind" to His "existence" mean? How can I not "hear" Him if He was "screaming" at me? 

No offense, but I've heard this stuff about a million times. All you're doing is implicitly stating that I have to beg the question, and then my faith will be confirmed by warm, gooey feelings. It's really frustrating. 

Oh yeah, and I don't believe in God because I do not think there is enough evidence and I don't think the term has been sufficiently defined, not because it's "already set in my mind" or because I'm "closed-minded." You can think I'm lying or deluding myself or whatever, but those are my reasons.

Quote:
This has nothing to do with anything but I noticed that you really like ice cream don't you?

Ever been to Coldstone Creamers?

Quote:
I think it is a very funny way to argue things. Its great when you have sense of humor about things.

Hehe. You haven't seen anything yet. There are posters on here who can pop off jokes like it's New Year's Eve.

I think it's more important to keep the discussion civil and productive. I apologize in advance if I fail at this.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


curious_george
curious_george's picture
Posts: 38
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Does it always have

 

Quote:
Does it always have to be more metaphors? What does "open" my "mind" to His "existence" mean? How can I not "hear" Him if He was "screaming" at me? 

No offense, but I've heard this stuff about a million times. All you're doing is implicitly stating that I have to beg the question, and then my faith will be confirmed by warm, gooey feelings. It's really frustrating.

 

No offense taken. It is confusing, isn't it? But the Bible says,"Knock and the door will be opened unto you, seek and ye shall find, ask and it shall be given unto you" (those are all from different places...if you want references) I don't know about the warm gooey feelings though. A walk with God is...well...no walk in the park. He constantly challenges you to take the next step. He is likened to a potter, and we are the clay (example used in the Bible). He constantly putting us in the furnace. But it is to better us...we can't become a beautiful pot if we don't let him try us. And it's not fun. You may ask...then why should I bother? Why would I willingly put myself through trials? The answer that I understand (and I don't know everything about God) is so that He can draw us closer to Him. He wants nothing but for us to be near Him. 

Quote:
Oh yeah, and I don't believe in God because I do not think there is enough evidence and I don't think the term has been sufficiently defined, not because it's "already set in my mind" or because I'm "closed-minded." You can think I'm lying or deluding myself or whatever, but those are my reasons.

I don't understand how you don't think there is enough evidence. I walk outside and I see evidence everywhere. I see a tree (random example, I know!) and  I think 'Wow. Look at this Tree. It grows and breathes. Not only that, but it recycles the air. A natural way of recycling. How could this happen by accident? And the leaves of the tree uses sunlight in ways that we can't even engineer yet (at least not that I know of) How could this happen by accident?'

I truly don't understand how evolutionists look at plants and animals and think that it was an accident. I see a plan. I see cycles that I don't understand how they could possibly take  place without a divine hand in creation. Maybe you could answer that. 

Quote:
Ever been to Coldstone Creamers?

No, but I work at a Dairy Queen. I bleed ice cream.

Quote:
Hehe. You haven't seen anything yet. There are posters on here who can pop off jokes like it's New Year's Eve.

I think it's more important to keep the discussion civil and productive. I apologize in advance if I fail at this.

Thank you. I enjoy conversations and discussions more when everyone is friendly toward eachother.

(I am very proud of myself for figuring out the whole quote thing all on my own HEE HEE)

2
"Oh say I'm happy!!"


fire sky (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Whaaaaaat?

Seriously? This is the stupidest thing an atheist can say. How many times must it be hollered from the rooftop until you get it? Listen very carefully: You were not there... there is no way you can know any of this crap you've made up is certain. You live in a fantasy land were you get to tell yourself how the universe came into existence and somehow it's true all of a sudden. My friend, put the crack down and look at the world around you... this did not happen by accident. You cannot just make something up and say it's true. There is a term for that... insanity. Again, you weren't there... you can't model it or reenact it... ergo, you are either crazy, self-deluded, or on a really bad acid trip. Read the Bible.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
curious_george wrote:No

curious_george wrote:

No offense taken. It is confusing, isn't it? But the Bible says,"Knock and the door will be opened unto you, seek and ye shall find, ask and it shall be given unto you" (those are all from different places...if you want references) I don't know about the warm gooey feelings though. A walk with God is...well...no walk in the park. He constantly challenges you to take the next step. He is likened to a potter, and we are the clay (example used in the Bible). He constantly putting us in the furnace. But it is to better us...we can't become a beautiful pot if we don't let him try us. And it's not fun. You may ask...then why should I bother? Why would I willingly put myself through trials? The answer that I understand (and I don't know everything about God) is so that He can draw us closer to Him. He wants nothing but for us to be near Him.

Sigh...

Metaphors, metaphors, and more metaphors. And I still have to "take the first step" (beg the question/believe before I believe), don't I? 

Quote:
I truly don't understand how evolutionists look at plants and animals and think that it was an accident. I see a plan. I see cycles that I don't understand how they could possibly take  place without a divine hand in creation. Maybe you could answer that.

I don't really understand what you mean by "accident," and, conversely, I don't understand what part of it necessitates a designer. 

How well do you understand the theory of evolution in its current form? DNA? Natural selection?

This could get ugly... 

Quote:
(I am very proud of myself for figuring out the whole quote thing all on my own HEE HEE)

Haha.

Congratulations! A LOT of people have trouble with it.  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
Posts: 1923
Joined: 2006-09-12
User is offlineOffline
fire sky wrote:Seriously?

fire sky wrote:

Seriously? This is the stupidest thing an atheist can say. How many times must it be hollered from the rooftop until you get it? Listen very carefully: You were not there... there is no way you can know any of this crap you've made up is certain. You live in a fantasy land were you get to tell yourself how the universe came into existence and somehow it's true all of a sudden. My friend, put the crack down and look at the world around you... this did not happen by accident. You cannot just make something up and say it's true. There is a term for that... insanity. Again, you weren't there... you can't model it or reenact it... ergo, you are either crazy, self-deluded, or on a really bad acid trip. Read the Bible.

Anybody see the irony in this post?

 

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
fire sky wrote:Seriously?

fire sky wrote:

Seriously? This is the stupidest thing an atheist can say.

Awww, you don't really mean that. There's a lot of sillier things I could say. I could be a Scientologist or something.

Quote:
Listen very carefully: You were not there... there is no way you can know any of this crap you've made up is certain.

True, but ultimately irrelevant. One doesn't have to be there to know. You can figure out that Professor Plum killed Mrs. Peacock in the library with the candlestick without being in the library when the murder happened. You can form conclusions based on the evidence.

Besides, if this was a good argument, then you've destroyed your own position too. Heck, were you there? No. 

Quote:
You live in a fantasy land were you get to tell yourself how the universe came into existence and somehow it's true all of a sudden.

The Big Bang theory is based on at least decades of meticulous research and calculations that you will never be able to understand. 

I'm a physics major, so I can laugh at you after I take more classes. Not yet though...maybe after General Relativity. 

Quote:
My friend, put the crack down and look at the world around you... this did not happen by accident.

Why do you guys like that word so much? What's an accident?

Does that just mean it's based on chance? Well, I'm a determinist, so I wouldn't agree with that.

Quote:
You cannot just make something up and say it's true. There is a term for that... insanity. Again, you weren't there... you can't model it or reenact it... ergo, you are either crazy, self-deluded, or on a really bad acid trip.

Sure, but you have to provide evidence that we made it up. A naked assertion is naked no matter how much force you assert it with.

Quote:
Read the Bible.

That's funny. 

I have read most of the Bible though, so have many of the other people on this forum. In fact, many of us used to be Christians (not me though). So uuuhhh, thanks but no thanks.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:Anybody see the

aiia wrote:
Anybody see the irony in this post?

You mean this? 

Quote:
You cannot just make something up and say it's true.

Quote:
Read the Bible.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


curious_george
curious_george's picture
Posts: 38
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Seriously? This is the

Quote:

Seriously? This is the stupidest thing an atheist can say. How many times must it be hollered from the rooftop until you get it? Listen very carefully: You were not there... there is no way you can know any of this crap you've made up is certain. You live in a fantasy land were you get to tell yourself how the universe came into existence and somehow it's true all of a sudden. My friend, put the crack down and look at the world around you... this did not happen by accident. You cannot just make something up and say it's true. There is a term for that... insanity. Again, you weren't there... you can't model it or reenact it... ergo, you are either crazy, self-deluded, or on a really bad acid trip. Read the Bible.

That kind of attitude will get you nowhere. You were not there...and if you think you were then maybe you are the self-delusional one. I am a Christian...and I wasn't there either. It is understandable for people to question the Bible. In fact, it is good. You can't just blindly follow. That could lead you into a cult...and REALLY crazy people.  For the record, there is a difference between blindly following and faith.

2
"Oh say I'm happy!!"


curious_george
curious_george's picture
Posts: 38
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Sigh...Metaphors,

Quote:

Sigh...

Metaphors, metaphors, and more metaphors. And I still have to "take the first step" (beg the question/believe before I believe), don't I? 

Sorry about the metaphors. You have to be undecided about God. Let's put it that way. Maybe that's not much better, but I am running out of ways to rearrange words to try to explain it more fully...without using metaphors.

 

 

Quote:
I don't really understand what you mean by "accident," and, conversely, I don't understand what part of it necessitates a designer.

 

What i meant by accident was that it just happened. Nothing started it...it just suddenly was. That sounds kind of hypocritical since, as a Christian, I believe that God always was. But, to me, the only thing that I can't explain is where God came from. Scientist can't explain where the energy, matter and the space for the Big Bang to occur came from. If I start with a God...all of creation makes sense(to me). If I start with the Big Bang then I have to justify the theory of evolution, abiogenesis, how life can come from non life...to me it is just messy...and impossible.I don't want you to think that I believe in God just to keep my beliefs from getting messy...I believe in God because He saved me...and not just on the cross.

Quote:
How well do you understand the theory of evolution in its current form? DNA? Natural selection?

Okay, basically I know that abiogenesis is the theory that all life on the planet came from non-life. I know that evolution expands on the abiogenesis theory in a way that supposedly each generation of species, creatures, plants, genetically mutates in a very small way untill eventually they become something different? Maybe I'm wrong about it being mutation. I've never heard of a mutation being beneficial. Natural Selection is the idea that only the strong survive. That is what I think I know. Please correct me where I am wrong(for I have no doubt that I am wrong in places..)

Quote:
This could get ugly... 

I certainly hope not. Let's try to keep this as friendly as possible, if you don't mind.

2
"Oh say I'm happy!!"


curious_george
curious_george's picture
Posts: 38
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
ok.

Okay. So, am I being ignored? Because if so...??? I really wish someone would answer my questions. Maybe I'm an ignorant fool. But at least I am trying to understand...I just want to learn. I have so many questions...I wish someone help me. I'm not science smart. I know English and books. I just graduated high school...but I went to a private Christian school where they didn't teach me any evolution theories. So...yeah....I am pretty much oblivious to what you believe and why you believe it...but I would like to learn... So...please??

2
"Oh say I'm happy!!"


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
curious_george wrote:Okay.

curious_george wrote:

Okay. So, am I being ignored? Because if so...??? I really wish someone would answer my questions. Maybe I'm an ignorant fool. But at least I am trying to understand...I just want to learn. I have so many questions...I wish someone help me. I'm not science smart. I know English and books. I just graduated high school...but I went to a private Christian school where they didn't teach me any evolution theories. So...yeah....I am pretty much oblivious to what you believe and why you believe it...but I would like to learn... So...please??

Sorry. 

No, I wasn't ignoring you. I just forgot about this conversation. 

If you want more responses from people, it would help to start a new page. Nobody wants to look at this thread anymore.

Do you mind if I start a new thread?

curious_george wrote:
What i meant by accident was that it just happened. Nothing started it...it just suddenly was.

So your definition of "accident" is that it's uncaused?

Then no, I don't believe the universe is an "accident."

curious_george wrote:
That sounds kind of hypocritical since, as a Christian, I believe that God always was. But, to me, the only thing that I can't explain is where God came from. Scientist can't explain where the energy, matter and the space for the Big Bang to occur came from. If I start with a God...all of creation makes sense(to me).

We can't explain yet what caused the Big Bang, but we know that the Big Bang happened.

Also, the Big Bang is not a theory of the origin of "everything" because we're not claiming that this is the beginning of some ultimate causal chain. It's just as far back as we can see at this point. Scientists used various techniques to trace the movements of galaxies back towards a single point. 

curious_george wrote:
If I start with the Big Bang then I have to justify the theory of evolution, abiogenesis, how life can come from non life...to me it is just messy...and impossible.

Impossible? How is it impossible?

Messy? If the validity of theories were actually determined by their complexity, then I would be much more suspicious of cheesy and simple-minded religious stories.

The theory of evolution is supported by an overwhelming amount of evidence across various scientific disciplines; it's accepted by virtually every credentialed natural scientist in the world. Even if God exists, you would still have to justify evolution or debunk the physical evidence supporting it.  

Abiogenesis is the study of how life could have come from non-living matter. Current research is nowhere near our knowledge of evolution, but we've certainly made more progress than critics want the masses to believe.

curious_george wrote:
I don't want you to think that I believe in God just to keep my beliefs from getting messy...I believe in God because He saved me...and not just on the cross. 

Okay, but how were you "saved?" How do you know it was God?

Edit:

curious_george wrote:
Okay, basically I know that abiogenesis is the theory that all life on the planet came from non-life.

Yep.

curious_george wrote:
I know that evolution expands on the abiogenesis theory in a way that supposedly each generation of species, creatures, plants, genetically mutates in a very small way untill eventually they become something different? Maybe I'm wrong about it being mutation.
 

I'm not completely sure where you're wrong, if you are. Let me see.

A mutation is a mistake in genetic replication. So, mutations happen to individuals, not "generations" or populations. A mutation is not some kind of deformity (although it can, in rare cases, result in one.) or a scar on the organism's genome, it just means that its genes have been slightly altered through an insertion, deletion, etc. 

Try these short videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q76jw0ZB9hA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vss1VKN2rf8

curious_george wrote:
I've never heard of a mutation being beneficial.

Voila! Now you have. 

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/mutations.html

http://www.gate.net/~rwms/EvoMutations.html

curious_george wrote:
Natural Selection is the idea that only the strong survive. That is what I think I know. Please correct me where I am wrong(for I have no doubt that I am wrong in places..) 

Kind of.

More precisely, natural selection is the process by which organisms with characteristics that are best suited for the environment will have a better chance of survival and thus, of reproducing and perpetuating these characteristics. 'Strong' is a rather relative term. A characteristic that helps with the propagation of a species in one environment could be fatal in another.

curious_george wrote:
I certainly hope not. Let's try to keep this as friendly as possible, if you don't mind.

I'll definitely try.

What I meant was that debate over evolution usually concludes with one side quitting in disgust and both parties pulling their hair out. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Anonymous1 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: God

Kevin R Brown wrote:

 

God did not talk to you last night

You can kid yourself and your choir all you like. We both know it didn't happen.

Who said anything about God being a magician. Besides, how do you know that God has not spoken to me last night, unless you snuck into my house last night?

 


curious_george
curious_george's picture
Posts: 38
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Sorry. No, I wasn't

Quote:
Sorry. 

No, I wasn't ignoring you. I just forgot about this conversation. 

If you want more responses from people, it would help to start a new page. Nobody wants to look at this thread anymore.

Do you mind if I start a new thread?

No, go right ahead...sorry...I was assuming...that is so wrong of me. Please just let me know where I should be. I am new to this...in case you couldn't tell Laughing out loud!!

 

 

Quote:

We can't explain yet what caused the Big Bang, but we know that the Big Bang happened.

Also, the Big Bang is not a theory of the origin of "everything" because we're not claiming that this is the beginning of some ultimate causal chain. It's just as far back as we can see at this point. Scientists used various techniques to trace the movements of galaxies back towards a single point. 

That's cool....so the Big Bang is basically the same as Einstien's idea of "white holes"??? A white hole is the opposite of a black hole...I found this definition  "Instead of collapsing inward, matter (and space itself) would expand outward from a "white hole". When matter inside the white hole moves past the boundary, the boundary begins to shrink inward. Eventually the radius shrinks to zero and the white hole disappears, leaving behind all of the matter which it originally contained. However, the first material out would have aged millions or billions of years while the last material out may only have aged a matter of days." Am I right...or is the Big Bang something else?

Quote:
Impossible? How is it impossible?

Messy? If the validity of theories were actually determined by their complexity, then I would be much more suspicious of cheesy and simple-minded religious stories.

You're right...that was a stupid thing to say. It's only impossible to me because I don't believe it...but just because I don't believe something doesn't make it not true. I am here to learn. Forgive me for that.

Quote:
The theory of evolution is supported by an overwhelming amount of evidence across various scientific disciplines; it's accepted by virtually every credentialed natural scientist in the world. Even if God exists, you would still have to justify evolution or debunk the physical evidence supporting it.  

What evidence?? The transitional forms? I have seen the charts...like the one in that first video...what was it of?? Clams of some sort, I think. And all those clams looked the same to me...they were different sizes, but they all looked like the same shell/clam thing to me. And why did the guy use the example of a creature that didn't exist instead of one that does...if there are a bunch of examples why didn't he choose an actual creature?? Is there other evidence?

Quote:
Abiogenesis is the study of how life could have come from non-living matter. Current research is nowhere near our knowledge of evolution, but we've certainly made more progress than critics want the masses to believe.

What about Pastuer?? Didn't he prove that life couldn't come from non-life?

curious_george wrote:
I don't want you to think that I believe in God just to keep my beliefs from getting messy...I believe in God because He saved me...and not just on the cross. 

Quote:
Okay, but how were you "saved?" How do you know it was God?

(Sigh) It's a long story, very personal. It's very complicated, but in essence...I was a very messed up young lady...and my Mom ( who hates my guts, kicked me out of the house and I went to live with my Grandparents) They put me in this little Chistian school THAT I DESPISED. But gradually, I changed. I know it was God because there was no one else around. It was God I was confronted with everyday in my schoolwork, in my home-life (my Grandparents are very religious), and in discussions with a teacher. It was God I felt the closest when I lay in bed at night crying...it was He who cared for me. He saved me from RAGE. I would have killed someone if I hadn't changed. It's that simple...and that complicated.

 

curious_george wrote:
Okay, basically I know that abiogenesis is the theory that all life on the planet came from non-life.

Quote:
Yep.
YAY!!!

Quote:
A mutation is a mistake in genetic replication. So, mutations happen to individuals, not "generations" or populations. A mutation is not some kind of deformity (although it can, in rare cases, result in one.) or a scar on the organism's genome, it just means that its genes have been slightly altered through an insertion, deletion, etc. 

Is adaptation for the sake of survival the same as mutation??

Quote:
More precisely, natural selection is the process by which organisms with characteristics that are best suited for the environment will have a better chance of survival and thus, of reproducing and perpetuating these characteristics. 'Strong' is a rather relative term. A characteristic that helps with the propagation of a species in one environment could be fatal in another.

Okay. I understand that from the first video ( the other one wasn't working)...but I still don't understand. (Confused?? Me too) A horse begets a slightly genetically altered horse which begets a slightly more genetically altered horse, and so on, until eventually it becomes so genetically altered it doesn't even look the same...but is it not still a horse?

Quote:
I'll definitely try.

What I meant was that debate over evolution usually concludes with one side quitting in disgust and both parties pulling their hair out. 

Thank you. It is important to me. Everyone always tells me "You're too nice" I don't believe that such a thing is possible, but I do appreciate it when someone is as polite to me as I am to them.

 

 

2
"Oh say I'm happy!!"


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Here it is. Other people are

Here it is. Other people are probably going to start chiming in. Have fun! 

God, science, and...being nice.

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare