Is culture worth it?

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is culture worth it?

I apologies for the length of the video but it's hard to understand in a five minute clip. Is culture worth it? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdIcwrbBqJ8

First off I should point out that this is one of the last bits of their culture that remains (to my knowledge), is it right to take that away? Obviously the human killings must be stopped but what about the rest? Is culture something you are willing to toss to the side for a bit of rationality?

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't watch the vid atm,

I can't watch the vid atm, but I can answer the question title: No, it's not worth it.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I realise that you haven't

I realise that you haven't watched the video but would It change your answer if you knew that 200000( I think the video says that much)  people here are traditional healers, that is 200000 people who have some income because of it. Unemployment is high here so it is unlikely that they would be able to provide for there families without it.

My personal view is that for now it is fine, However when the economic conditions improve and they can provide for there families with normal jobs it will no longer be worth it.

All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
No, I can't say it would

No, I can't say it would change my answer. However, it's possible that my answer is insufficient for the purpose behind your question. On the off chance that such is the case, I'll expand a bit.

I think culture is perhaps the third largest factor slowing down our progress. Behind only religion and patriotism. All three of them are huge enough to mingle a bit. It's as irrational as religion to continue in an activity simply because that activity took place for generations before you. If there's a real and measurable benefit from an activity, with little or no negative consequences, then there's no problem with the activity. But primitive notions such as throwing a girl into a volcano to appease the gods is reflected in much of culture today, for no better reason than "my parents did it, their parents did it, etc).

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It is fair enough I

It is fair enough I understand where you are coming from (at least I think I do) It is possible that this is what is holding South Africa back. (well this kind of bullshit)

A classic example it is accepted to bring a letter from a traditional healer for missing a test at university. Is it just me or is that stupid?

All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote: It is fair

Tapey wrote:

It is fair enough I understand where you are coming from (at least I think I do) It is possible that this is what is holding South Africa back. (well this kind of bullshit)

A classic example it is accepted to bring a letter from a traditional healer for missing a test at university. Is it just me or is that stupid?

Due to the deplorable conditions in most of Africa, I have to view that continent somewhat differently than I would other parts of the world. If traditional healers hold the official capacity of health care providers, then the example of the test that you gave would be acceptable. A similar scenario is available here. If you broke your leg, and were in the hospital during the test, obviously you were not able to write it and should be given an opportunity for a rewrite.
I am aware that many conditions a traditional healer might consider acceptable are not things most people would though, so it would be advantageous to replace them at the earliest opportunity with qualified providers.