Angry atheist RANT

DanMullin
DanMullin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Angry atheist RANT

This is a video from imrational on YouTube.  In this video he highlights something that has always bothered me about Christianity:

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've noticed this about

I've noticed this about myself as well. I too am becoming an angry atheist (that's not to say I'm not happy though ). I don't want to blame it on the site, but it is a contributing factor. Being around intelligent and like-minded individuals has definitely made me less tolerant of stupidity and more apt to speak my mind. I've always been rather open about my thoughts on God, but lately I seem to take every opportunity to express why something is logically flawed.

I actually had a sort of "intervention" with a theist friend of mine who told me I had offended her and some of my other theist friends. I more or less told her that I was fine with that, and I reserve my right to offend people. I've been feeling a general detachment from that circle of friends. They just don't think the way I do and it's getting to the point where I don't care weather I stay friends with them. It's probably something everybody goes through. I guess I'm just outgrowing them mentally.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
For the most part, I keep my

For the most part, I keep my venom for the internet. I rarely engage in debates in person. Partly because they can become too emotional, and partly because the effort I put in cannot have as wide spread an effect as the effort I put into the net.

Though there is the benefit that most religious people here in Canada don't shove it in your face at every opportunity. I have worked with and known people of many religions and the vast majority of them have made an effort to not force their ideas on others, an effort I have noticed and appreciated(There are, of course, exceptions to every rule).

From my perspective, while some work does indeed need to be done in Canada, my neighbour to the south appears to need my efforts a lot more. Best way for me to do that is on the net. It also allows me to release any pent up frustration from the odd religious encounter, and be stressless for the next day.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

mandescience
User is offlineOffline
What he was discussing also

What he was discussing also has bothered me. The biggest one is how god only sacrifices himself in front of particular crowd for all eyes to see, yet doesn't leave a shred of evidence for the ensuing generations.

“I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.”

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

Adroit
atheist
Adroit's picture
User is offlineOffline
ahhh, tell me about it.I

ahhh, tell me about it.

I don't want to be angry, but it seems like idiots force it out of me sometimes...

The main reason i'm here is to reassure me that there are sane people in the world.

kariperry
kariperry's picture
User is offlineOffline
me too

I liked comparing the crucifixion to "chucking the virgin into the volcano."  That is so correct.  I wish more Christians would take a step back and compare the crucifixion with what the native central Americans were doing before the Spaniards came.  The sad thing is deep down they know it is human sacrifice.  It is just a continuation of the Hebrew animal sacrifices. 

I am usually pretty tolerant except in the case of what religion does to children.  I was at a park one time and went into one of the restrooms.  There were these christian tracts aimed at children.  I skimmed through one of them and was sickend at the condemnation and all the talk of sin.   (I should have tossed them in the trash)   

Kari Perry

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do I get angry? Hell yea.

Do I get angry? Hell yea. But always keep reality in mind. In our anger and our activism and bluntness and blasphemy, we still must maintain in our minds that utopias don't exist. I love my mom and she believes. I love my co-workers and they have verying degrees from casual to fundementalist.

So while it is important for us to put the word out and challenge outraguous fantastic magical claims, just as important to remember is that neither atheists or theists will leave this planet alive and as such if the best we can obtain as a species, is to accept bitching as such, without it comming to litteral physical blows, that is something and certainly much more realistic.

I DO THINK the atheist position has the edge long term. Sceince is leading us away from the absurd, but we are well aware of the attempts of theism to hijack politics in order to opress dissent.

We must not in our struggle become what we say we hate. Fight the good fight, but don't live in the same delusional utopia that theists do. 6 billion people will not all be clones of each other.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:So while it is

Brian37 wrote:

So while it is important for us to put the word out and challenge outraguous fantastic magical claims, just as important to remember is that neither atheists or theists will leave this planet alive

Now now, just because noone has died off of earth yet doesn't mean it won't happen.

Sticking out tongue

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Now now, just

Vastet wrote:

Now now, just because noone has died off of earth yet doesn't mean it won't happen.

Sticking out tongue

Over a dozen astronauts have already died in space.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:Vastet

shelleymtjoy wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Sticking out tongue

Over a dozen astronauts have already died in space.

Nope. Both Challenger and Columbia were within Earth's atmosphere. Noone has yet died in space.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adroit wrote:The main reason

Adroit wrote:

The main reason i'm here is to reassure me that there are sane people in the world.

Yeah, I think this site has actually taken the angry out of me. If anything, I get exasperated with people who (I guess) haven't read ... well ... anything, sometimes. Once you know that there are enough non-crazy people in the world, it's a lot easier to deal with feelings of anger about the crazy ones.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it helps me to see

I think it helps me to see theists as not so much crazy as meme infected. I think I remember reading somewhere that neuroscience is finding that some brains are more susceptible to meme infection than others.

But I do still get pissed off at theists on occasion.

Rick

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Brian37

Vastet wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

So while it is important for us to put the word out and challenge outraguous fantastic magical claims, just as important to remember is that neither atheists or theists will leave this planet alive

Sticking out tongue

Jesus Thor on a cracker man, you know what I ment!

"Can't we all just get along" should not involve banning bitching.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all have a pellow fight instead of killing each other, recognizing that the only death we really have to face is old age?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is nothing wrong with

There is nothing wrong with anger - it's quite a healthy attribute in fact - and any social convention which implies that one should not feel anger is one intent on stifling expression, something not only unhealthy for the individual but for society as a whole in the long run. People afraid to speak out in anger tend to be afraid to speak out at all,, and such people are therefore easily channelled into general agendas decided by others for their own ends.

The question is not whether anger directed against superstitious stupidity is right or wrong. It is about whether it is justified or not. Unjustified anger abounds - that is, anger whose justification defies rational and reasonable explanation. We are all prone to such feelings from time to time, our emotive response faster to manifest itself than our reasoned response, especially those of us more immature in our faculty of reason than others.

However if and when, having taken time and trouble to reasonably assess that which makes us angry, we find that we are still angry, then we have not only the right to express such anger but in fact a duty to ourselves and to others to do just that. The anger of course should not be primarily directed against individuals (as it is so often on this site, thereby betraying the immaturity of many of its contributors). It should primarily be directed against that which those individuals purport to represent - quite a different emphasis entirely and, in my experience, much more effective in helping to change other people's minds if such is also the intention.

Having said that, you shouldn't either be afraid to engage in what is called the "ad hominem" attack in argument. When arguing the destructive effect of internalised personal delusions rampant in society it is quite legitimate to direct both one's anger and one's argument against such persons when logic dictates that you must. Not to do so merely leads to one circumventing one's own argument, especially when dealing with a person whose ability to defend their own stance rarely rises above frequent use of "ad hominem" assaults with less justification than yours.

Religion, and especially christianity, makes much of the concept of "righteous fury". Atheists have not the luxury of pretending to justify their own anger with such a cheap and false sequitur. However we have something much more powerful in our arsenal should we choose to use it. Rightful fury - something the average christian is never encouraged to develop for themselves. It would be too dangerous to have followers of a religious code applying individually adduced and aggressive logic to why they are doing it. It produces atheists, and often angry ones too. But at least they are thinking.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy