Gun Control

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gun Control

I don't like guns, but I understand their purpose.

The problem with total gun control/gun restriction/outlawing is that if you tell people they can't own guns legally, people will STILL own them illegally, thus putting the "good" citizens at risk.

Let's say you live in a bad neighborhood in Detroit where this is plenty of gang activity and robberies. You know that many people have guns, legally or illegally, and will use them to their liking. If someone breaks into your house and you do not have a gun to defend yourself with, you're pretty much screwed.

It's like drugs: the more you outlaw something, the more CRIME becomes of it as people try to illegally traffic, sell and consume.

I don't like guns, but I'm not going to say that we live in a perfect, smiley happy world where people never need them for defense.

The thing is, if guns were gone, we'd find other ways to kill each other. If you want to kill someone, you will, gun or no gun.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Oh my God! More

Quote:
Oh my God! More hypotheticals.

...Hypotheticals?

So the sexual assault on Joni Lenz by Ted Bundy, while she slept in her home, was only hypothetical?

Odd that he was charged with a hypothetical crime, in that case. Sticking out tongue

It is not just some series of implausble scenarios I've concocted. Bundy's very real modus operandi was to feign injury and strike his victims from behind after luring them to his vehicle. That's how it really happened.

So where are your factual accounts of people heroically blasting-away their would-be attackers, out of curiousity?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Im with you on this one

Im with you on this one but In all fairness I don't think there are many, not becouse thay don't happen but because the media genrally likes to report innocent people dieing over rapests dieing. 

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:So where

Kevin R Brown wrote:

So where are your factual accounts of people heroically blasting-away their would-be attackers, out of curiousity?

That happens all the time.  The first page of hits on a google search found at least six events just this month.  However, I suspect that you were hoping that the answer would be different.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
User is offlineOffline
its really simple.

this is how i look at this issue.

1. I think everyone can agree that there are rapist, murderers, etc.

2. Police can not be everywhere at once.

3. I have every right to defend myself and my family against these people.

4. A politician has no right to tell me that I can't defend them and myself.

5. There are too many guns in America already to ever get rid of. I have a few that are unregistered. Think how many are out their that the government does not know about.

When I was in the Navy I had a huge problem with the way our CO would handle disciplinary problems. Especially ones that involved drinking. Anyone else who was in the military can relate to this. Our leaders solution to almost every problem was to punish everyone. When some of our guys would get in trouble overseas then we were not allowed to drink overseas, we were given ridiculous curfews, not allowed to go to certain places. When I lived in Spain there were two DUI's in one weekend. The CO's solution was to punish everyone. We were not allowed to be out of our rooms (even if you lived out in town) after 10pm. Did this solve anything? NO, more people got into trouble because more rules were being broken. People were getting into trouble for stupid things, like taking their wife out to dinner, getting food. It is a stupid way to govern and it does not work.

Lets say hypothetically that all guns in america are gone. Then what? Will everyone be nice to each other. Probably not. what will happen is you will have more stabbings. Then what are you going to do. Take everyones knives. Then there will just be an increase in spearing, so on and so on.

I really think there is no solution that will work fully. Laws are only going to shift the laws of power in favor of on side or the other. And like someone else said in this thread, culture is the most important part in crime.

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dracos wrote:How would you

Dracos wrote:

How would you feel to stand impotently by while your wife and children are raped and murdured? 

I noticed nobody really addressed this, so here I go, jumping into the chaos...

Who says you have to stand impotently by? Just because you don't have a gun, you're now rendered "impotent?"

First of all, I'm not even sure of the pragmatism or context of this given hypothetical. Most intruders aim to break into a home, steal what they can, and get out without causing any suspicion or alarm. I doubt many would take the time and the added risk of getting caught to go out of their way to rape and murder the members of the household. Nevertheless, I'll make a concession for the situation.

How likely is it that you will be able to access your gun in this situation? Most gun owners with children keep their guns in special boxes, with the safety on, etc - this decreases the accessibility of the gun to your child, but also decreases its accessibility to you. Especially if you elect to keep the gun in a room other than your bedroom; are you really going to go wandering through your house to retrieve it when you know there are strange people lurking around? And if the intruders have their hands around your wife's throat, or are holding down your children, you'd better be a damn good marksman to make sure you hit the perpetrator, and not your own relatives. Holding and aiming a gun is a lot harder than it looks in the movies - as I'm sure some of you that own guns know. In the heat of the moment, you won't have the time afforded at a shooting range to relax your nerves and take careful aim. Unless you've worked in law enforcement or the military, it is doubtful that you will have the competence to perform in this situation.

In my opinion, you all are grossly underestimating your own physical abilities and reactions. I'm a 5'1" female, smaller than the majority of the population, and I can assure you that if my famly were in danger, I would not be standing idly by. I have hands and feet to hit with, I have teeth to bite with, I have a voice with which to scream to alert others to the danger, and I have a black belt in karate and the benefit of being physically in shape. I realize that my training cannot defend against a bullet (short of matrix-like contortions), and that my size limits the damage I can do to another person. But I've been trained in how to disarm an opponent and in how to force them to relinquish their grip on me - with my bare hands. We have a number of natural weapons in our arsenal, and I've never felt that these were inadequate for my own self-defense.

Obviously, I don't only rely on my physical ability, which I've never had to resort to using, as of yet. I also don't do stupid things. I lock my doors at night, I avoid using the alley behind my building after dark, if I'm intoxicated I either walk home with a group of friends or take a cab - even then, one time a cab driver tried to kidnap me, and I was forced to get the police involved. Since that incident, I've carried pepper spray on me when possible at night. Point is, the best way to resolve a situation is to take measures to prevent it from happening in the first place.

I do think that the banning of guns is unnecessary. However, I do believe that extremely stringent measures should be in place to regulate their distribution. There should be extensive background checks, a several day waithing period, mandatory classes/traning. Despite this, there will be a black market. It will always be there. But these measures will help prevent unnecessary accidents and violence. There are ways to defend one's self that are effective, yet less harmful to other innocent people.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears wrote: 5.

marshalltenbears wrote:

5. There are too many guns in America already to ever get rid of. I have a few that are unregistered. Think how many are out their that the government does not know about.

If there are gun amnisties in america (a time when you can give in unregustered guns with no consiquenses) I hope you are planing to hand them in. If you must own guns at least own them legally. 

marshalltenbears wrote:

Lets say hypothetically that all guns in america are gone. Then what? Will everyone be nice to each other. Probably not. what will happen is you will have more stabbings. Then what are you going to do. Take everyones knives. Then there will just be an increase in spearing, so on and so on.

No people won't just be nice to each other but it would give crimes victums a better chance imo. I don't no about other people but I would rather be muged by someone with a knife rather than a gun. (or prefrably a pen like my friend) It would no doubt be no less traumatic but it is the way I feel about it.

marshalltenbears wrote:

I really think there is no solution that will work fully. Laws are only going to shift the laws of power in favor of on side or the other. And like someone else said in this thread, culture is the most important part in crime. 

and well said on this one, no solution will fully work as people are the problem. Guns don't kill people by themselves. Improve the economic conditions in the places where the crimanals come from and you will likely see improvment (maybe not in rapes), I can't belive if people had better employment oppertunities they would still rob people.

All animals are equal.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:That happens all the

Quote:
That happens all the time.  The first page of hits on a google search found at least six events just this month.  However, I suspect that you were hoping that the answer would be different.

Links?

I found one case from last december; and, of course, upon further investigation, the homeowner in question appears to have had advance knowledge that the intruder would be returning and welcomed the chance to shoot at someone. That is not defending one's home against a surprise intrusion; that's pre-meditated murder.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Dracos
User is offlineOffline
Dear Greek God

Here is the plot,  Mutt and Jeff have just escaped from prison/jail whatever.  They stole a car and found drugs to sell and buy guns,  or guns.  They say "we got to find a place to hole up.  That looks like a good place."  Check out Clockwork orange.  You, groggy, unarmed, open the door.  They are not kind.  Tell me about a Kung Fu move that works when the bad guy has a gun in your mouth.  You are stripped and duct taped,with the rest of your family.  It goes downhill.

I am sorry if I horrified you.  At my house, first the dogs make noise, I go to the door with a 357.  If he tries to break in he catches a bullet.  Or two.  I know that a 125 grain bullet going 1300 feet per second from my Ruger SP 101 is going to make him sing the blues.  With its 31/16 barrel it will be very easy to swivel it around and ask the other guy "Do you feel lucky?". 

Yes there may be court dates, and long conversations with police.  But which would you prefer?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dracos wrote:Yes there may

Dracos wrote:

Yes there may be court dates, and long conversations with police.  But which would you prefer?

What Would Kharn Do?

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Links?

I found one case from last december; and, of course, upon further investigation, the homeowner in question appears to have had advance knowledge that the intruder would be returning and welcomed the chance to shoot at someone. That is not defending one's home against a surprise intrusion; that's pre-meditated murder.

Wow this thread is so interesting - wish I didn't have a theist badge sometimes ... Anyhow, I hope you won't mind me bending the rules a little to help you two guys out.

I googled and found about nine cases of shootings during home/workplace invasion that are fairly recent - one was from Australia, the other eight are from America. Of those eight, one, was a bungled police shooting (they missed the thieves and killed the homeowner), in two of the seven remaining there was a struggle over the gun between the homeowner and the burglar and one of those two ended in the homeowner being shot with her own gun.

Out of the seven cases of homeowners shooting home invaders: two burglars were killed (all the dead thieves were acting alone) and in four other cases burglars escaped, in one case a woman shot the through a door hitting a 14 year old boy in the face (he is a suspect) there were allegedly others involved in the break in, they got away without being identified.

In brief:

8 homeowners defending their homes with firearms, in U.S. located on the first pages of respectively, one google web search, one google news search - search terms = burglar shot

2/7 cases resulted in a struggle over the gun, 1/7 ended with the homeowner shot (injured) , 2/7 cases ended in fatality.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Dracos

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Dracos wrote:

I love Scanners. I consider it to be a very underrated movie.
Interestingly, for that special effect: they filled a latex fake head with dog food and animal organs and then shot it with a shotgun from behind.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:So, by

Kevin R Brown wrote:

So, by all means:

Give examples of contemporary accounts where a home owner has driven-off a home invader with a personal firearm.

OK. Here are some examples of people using guns to drive off or kill home invaders as given to me by google. To make sure that these are accurate, I will only include stories found on news websites.

Convicted sex offender rapes woman in her home, then leaves, comes back a few days later to rape her a second time and she shoots him to death:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/laworder/story/9C58494B45470714862574F3006D0CA6?OpenDocument

Here a man shoots a home invader, police determine that it is self defense:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29221572/

Here is a news video about a man forcing four home invaders to flee by shooting at them:

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2009/02/12/caught-on-tape-man-defends-self-against-4-armed-home-invaders/#more-1649

Miami homeowner announces that he has a gun, home invader flees:

http://www.republic-online.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=682:armed-resident-defends-home-against-burglars&catid...

Three robbers break into home of sick woman, she uses gun to make them leave, on robber comes back(!) and she shoots him in the chest:

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0109/585528.html

Man forces his way into the house of his ex-inlaws, he is shot three times in self defense:

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2008/dec/27/man-shot-twice-former--las-home/?breakingnews

Robber tries to wrestle gun from home owner, robber is shot to death:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20081122_Burglar_shot_dead_by_S__Phila__resident.html

Man breaks through woman's window, she runs to her room and he follows her, she shoots him to death:

http://www.azfamily.com/news/homepagetopstory/stories/Phoenix-local-news-092808-fatal-shoot-retrain-orde.bf7a220a.html

Man breaks through woman's window (why does this keep happening to different women? this is a different incident than the previous one), he holds a knife to her while she is in bed, she screams, her son who was home at the time gets his gun and kills the man:

http://www.cbs12.com/news/intruder_4709600___article.html/home_alleged.html

Armed burglars break into house, one is killed by armed homeowner:

http://www.kcra.com/newsarchive/17427555/detail.html

Burglar breaks into house of 85 year old woman, she uses a gun to force him to call 911 and wait for police:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,406185,00.html

Four armed people break into house, home owner shoots and kills one of the intruders, other intruders flee, homeowner is also shot but survives:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/17086452/detail.html

Racist attacks man with baseball bat, man shoots racist, racist hospitalized (don't bring a bat to a gun fight):

http://wednesdayjournalonline.com/Main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=11947

Two men kick in back door of pregnant woman's home, she shows them her shotgun and they flee:

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=8445177

Robber breaks into 75 year old man's house, homeowner threatens robber with gun, robber flees:

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1212186316213740.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

Here is an excerpt from the news article, a quotation from the DA:"The homeowner acted appropriately," Freed said. "Criminals who break into occupied homes assume the risk of being shot by the homeowners."

Armed man tricks his way into home by pretending to be a woman (!), the man then draws gun on home owners, one of the home owners gets his gun and kills the intruder:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2008/nov/30/teen-dies-in-shooting-during-home-invasion/

Ok, that's enough. I think I have collected a decent list here.

I have to ask Kevin: did you really think that there were no cases of homeowners using guns to deal with home invaders? I'm having trouble believing this. Was I taking your comment about there being no cases such as these too seriously? Did you spend a few minutes on google before making your bold and obviously untrue claim?

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Well, I am sure glad I am

Well, I am sure glad I am not a burglar in America.

http://www.google.nl/search?q=accidental+shooting

I was just curious, but had actually expected the first page of that google search to be filled with friendly fire incidents in war zones. Well... apparently, the first page WAS filled with friendly fire incidents in a "war zone". I think I'd better not take that plane across the Atlantic for the time being

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Links?

Wow. That happened mere blocks from where I currently live. The Bahai Temple mentioned in the article is less than a mile up the street from me. Anyways, I thought the tribune article was good, and the comments were also surprisingly informative.

This goes back to what I said in my previous post - don't do stupid things. I wonder if there are statistics correlating gun ownership to increased reckless behavior - failure to lock doors, change locks, set security alarms, call police. I wouldn't be all that surprised. By the way, what that guy did by failiing to call the police and taking matters into his own hands, is analogous to beginning CPR on a cardiac arrest victim without having someone call 911. (In most cases a defibrillator is needed to restart the victim's heart, so unless you happen to be in a facility where one is accessible, you need for an ambulance to arrive. Even then, the patient only has about a 30% chance of survival.) The point I'm making is that there are people that we train using our tax dollars to deal with these situations. They do this shit every day, for a living. The odds of some suburban amateur turning out a hero are low. The odds of someone with proper training handling the situation in an appropriate manner are high. I'm not saying that someone can't succeed in fending off a criminal or that the police can't make a fumble, but that's where the odds lie.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:I wonder

greek goddess wrote:

I wonder if there are statistics correlating gun ownership to increased reckless behavior

Nope. There are a lot of statistics on accidental and intentional death and firearms, but that is about it. If you want suicide or murder statistics for firearms you can get them year by year.

greek goddess wrote:

The point I'm making is that there are people that we train using our tax dollars to deal with these situations. They do this shit every day, for a living. The odds of some suburban amateur turning out a hero are low. The odds of someone with proper training handling the situation in an appropriate manner are high. I'm not saying that someone can't succeed in fending off a criminal or that the police can't make a fumble, but that's where the odds lie.

Yeah, ideally you want the police to show up and deal with the problem for you. Since I live in a low crime area with a LOT of police officers I suspect that I would get a great police response time if I dialed 911. Unfortunately not everyone lives in that situation. Twice my mother has tried to dial 911, and both times it took over half an hour for her to reach an operator. My parent's town does not have a dispacher or a police station. Rather the next town over is given some tax money to have their police cover my parent's town. Unfortunatly that means that all of the police are about a 15 minute drive away and the dispachers will only answer your call if there are no other calls waiting (there have to be no calls at all from the dispacher's own town for your call to be accepted, you are always at the end of the waiting list and newer calls take preference over your call). Essentially my parents will need wait about 45 minutes to an hour for the police or an ambulance to arrive at their house (better yet the nearest hospital emergency room has been shut down, so that ambulance will have to drive to them from quite a distance away). This seems weird to me because they are in a suburban neighborhood. The point saying this is that not everyone has access to the police. I do. I suspect that they could be at my door in minutes if I called them. My parents, on the other hand, are on their own. I suppose that they must deal with whatever bad odds there are.

greek goddess wrote:

don't do stupid things

Quite possibly the one and only commandment anyone would ever need to follow.

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dracos wrote:Here is the

Dracos wrote:

Here is the plot,  Mutt and Jeff have just escaped from prison/jail whatever.  They stole a car and found drugs to sell and buy guns,  or guns.  They say "we got to find a place to hole up.  That looks like a good place."  Check out Clockwork orange.  You, groggy, unarmed, open the door.  They are not kind.  Tell me about a Kung Fu move that works when the bad guy has a gun in your mouth.  You are stripped and duct taped,with the rest of your family.  It goes downhill.

I am sorry if I horrified you.  At my house, first the dogs make noise, I go to the door with a 357.  If he tries to break in he catches a bullet.  Or two.  I know that a 125 grain bullet going 1300 feet per second from my Ruger SP 101 is going to make him sing the blues.  With its 31/16 barrel it will be very easy to swivel it around and ask the other guy "Do you feel lucky?". 

Ok this is the last hypothetical situation I'm addressing, because these are getting way too detailed, and the details tend to just make the whole thing more ridiculous. First of all, escaped convicts are going to choose an unfamiliar inhabited residence to hide out in? Maybe this is just because I'm from Chicago, aka mob central, which has no shortage of sketchy abandoned buildings. Anyways, moving on, it is what it is...

I can't reiterate this enough~ don't do stupid things. This hypothetical story fails because I would never be stupid enough to just go answer the door if somebody rang my bell at 2 in the morning or whatever. Any friend of mine would be decent enough to call ahead first, unless it was an emergency. Even if someone did show up on my doorstep, I'd at least look out the window first or use the intercom system in my apartment to inquire who it was. And after finding out it's no one I know, that door would stay firmly shut.

If I'm stupid and groggy enough to go answer the door for a complete stranger, then how come I wouldn't be stupid and groggy enough to forget to bring my gun with me? Why am I not stupid and groggy enough to shoot them dead on sight immediately? And as I said before, I can disarm an opponent with my hands. It's unlikely they could get close enough to shove the barrel of the gun in my mouth. I guess if I was groggy, my reaction time would be down, but if that's the case I wouldn't have the reflexes to shoot them immediately anyways. And I guess if both men were armed, it would be harder to thwart them right away. This is all silly speculation, because I never would have opened the door in the first place.

And in this hypothetical situation, I have a family that I live with - so with my imaginary husband's help that would at least make it two on two. Or if we're talking about my family in real life, whom I don't live with most of the time, are you really going to tell me that my brother (6' tall and also a karate black belt) and my father (5'11" and works out a fair amount) wouldn't do anything to stop these guys before everyone was stripped and duct taped? I mean, sure, someone may get hit with a bullet. But for the ones I love, I'd have no regrets taking the hit. Even if I had a gun, if we got into a shooting match, my family or I could get shot anyways.

The point that I'm getting at is that there are no guarantees that just because you own a gun, you'll get away uninjured and unharmed. The way that the laws currently are, I don't have to pass any sort of qualifying training in order to own the gun, so the chances that I'd actually be able to use it effectively are slim to none anyways. If there are people that want to own guns that's fine, but it's not the only way to protect yourself against danger, and I disagree with the idea that "everyone should own a gun," as one of my friends has advocated in the past. In fact, that's the worst idea I've ever heard. I think that people would get it wrong more times than they would get it right. There should definitely at least be restrictions on who is permitted or licensed to own a firearm.

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:This

Jormungander wrote:

This seems weird to me because they are in a suburban neighborhood. The point saying this is that not everyone has access to the police. I do. I suspect that they could be at my door in minutes if I called them. My parents, on the other hand, are on their own. I suppose that they must deal with whatever bad odds there are.

WOW! Can I ask which general area your parents live in? That's quite bad, especially for a suburb (at least by suburban standards around the Chicago area). From the sounds of it, you'd think it was rural Alaska.

Anyways, I think my position on gun control is getting lost amidst all the hypothetical situations and whatnot. I don't think that a strict ban on civilian firearm ownership is necessary. At this point in my life, I can't think of any reason why I'd need to own a gun, nor have I ever had this need. I don't hunt, and any confrontations with wildlife or questionable individuals that I've had have managed to be settled non-violently. But I'm sure there are people in situations such as your parents' for whom it would be beneficial, so those people should have the option I guess. My problem lies mainly with the lax regulations we currently have. I think at the very least there should be background checks and mandatory training. I'm also not a big fan of concealed carry laws, but that isn't legal everywhere in the US anyways - for instance, in Chicago, it's illegal, last I checked.

Even with stricter regulations in place, I can see the possibility of some "bad guys" passing the requirements, in which case we'd have a bunch of well-trained criminals on our hands. I suppose if this became a problem, it would then be appropriate to outlaw guns altogether. But for now at least, I don't see that as a necessity.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yaerav wrote:Well, I am sure

Yaerav wrote:

Well, I am sure glad I am not a burglar in America.

http://www.google.nl/search?q=accidental+shooting

I was just curious, but had actually expected the first page of that google search to be filled with friendly fire incidents in war zones. Well... apparently, the first page WAS filled with friendly fire incidents in a "war zone". I think I'd better not take that plane across the Atlantic for the time being

A fourth of those accidental shootings on the first page weren't even from the US, and one of the ones from the US was Dick Cheney shooting someone. Anywhere where there are guns there will be accidental shootings. That means that the US has a lot of them since we have a lot of guns. Oh well.

For that matter you don't need to cross the Atlantic to experience high crime rates. Go to the Netherlands if you want a walk on the wild side. They have a violent crime rate that is 24% higher than in the US, and the property crime rate is 55% higher. Man, it must be great to be a burglar over there. Over here DA's make public statements warning burglars that they are responsible if they are shot while breaking into someones home. And guess what, we have a lower property crime rate and a lower violent crime rate than the Netherlands. Funny how that works out. I'm sure glad I don't live a war zone like the Netherlands. I'd better not take that plane across the Atlantic for the time being.

Here is what Voorburg and Heerlen criminal research on the Netherlands found in 2004:

Type of crime
Crime of violence: 109,247
Property offence: 946,394

Total Netherlands Population in 2002 (I couldn't find it for 2004, so we will use this one and assume that they didn't have a population boom in two years): 16,171,520

So per capita in the Netherlands in 2004:

625 violent crimes per 100,000 people

5684 proprety crimes per 100,000 people

In the US (see US Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2004):

465.5 violent crimes per 100,000 people

3,517.1 property crimes per 100,000 people

Maybe you should do a little research before posting. I mean come on, you live a nation with far higher crime rates than mine AND you have the audacity to tell me that my country is like a war zone. To find these statistics I just used google. To find those news reports of people using firearms to foil home invaders I just used google. Please people, spend a minute or two researching the subject before you fire off new posts.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:WOW! Can

greek goddess wrote:

WOW! Can I ask which general area your parents live in? That's quite bad, especially for a suburb (at least by suburban standards around the Chicago area). From the sounds of it, you'd think it was rural Alaska.

They live in Southern California. In the past twenty years their town has seen a huge increase in its size. It has actually multiplied its population size in the last two decades. Oddly this has not been matched by an equal increase in vital services. Back when it was a semi-rural town with a fraction of its current population I can understand them paying an adjacent larger town for police protection. Now that it is many times larger they really should have their own police station. Recently they finished building a second high school there. If it has reached the point where it needs two separate high schools to cover everyone, it has reached the point where they can start a police department. Ironically I have a gun and live in one of the US's safest cities (Irvine) and they live a city with no police force and they don't believe in owning guns. Though I am fine with that. They made a choice that they will take responsibilty for any outcomes caused by it. I made a different choice and I will take responsibility for any outcomes caused by it. But it doesn't sit well with me that my mom effectively can not call the police.

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:A fourth

Jormungander wrote:

A fourth of those accidental shootings on the first page weren't even from the US

Yup. Three out of every four were. That was what struck me.

Quote:
, and one of the ones from the US was Dick Cheney shooting someone. Anywhere where there are guns there will be accidental shootings. That means that the US has a lot of them since we have a lot of guns. Oh well.

We do indeed understand each other Eye-wink

Quote:
For that matter you don't need to cross the Atlantic to experience high crime rates. Go to the Netherlands if you want a walk on the wild side. (...)

Maybe you should do a little research before posting. I mean come on, you live a nation with far higher crime rates than mine AND you have the audacity to tell me that my country is like a war zone. To find these statistics I just used google. To find those news reports of people using firearms to foil home invaders I just used google. Please people, spend a minute or two researching the subject before you fire off new posts.

Good choice of locations! Our Central Bureau of Statistics is located in both Voorburg and Heerlen. My father worked there until he retired and boy did we know it at home... no dinner conversation without dad, at some point demanding that we must back up our statements with data, heheh.

I know the numbers well. In 2004 Heerlen was the "most criminal area" of the Netherlands. It always was pretty wild- I remember when I was serving in the army in 1993 that two of my roommates would grin about them having less reason to feel homesick then the rest of us: the consoling sound of gunfire in the background reminded them of Heerlen Eye-wink )

The main reason for the high crime rate in Heerlen is that of all urban areas in NL, it is closest to both the Belgian and the German border, as well as closest to France. Making it a "natural" spot for international drug traffic. So, lots of junkies in Heerlen. But since the economy of the whole area (South-Limburg) once depended on the coal mines -which were all closed in the seventies- and there never really was anything to replace them, unemployment is rather high, incomes are low... well, let's put it like this, Heerlen is not quite the Jewel in the Dutch crown.

But I feel it's kind of unfair to extrapolate one -and especially this- area to a whole country.

For better statistics, check out this link:

statline.cbs.nl/StatWeb/publication/

For the translations:

Geregistreerde misdrijven = Registered crimes.
Opgehelderde misdrijven = Solved crimes.
Geweldsmisdrijven = violent crimes .
Vermogensmisdrijven = (Not sure about the translation. It involves a broad range of crimes, from burglaries to fraud- any way to illegally obtain money or valuables from anyone without using violence other then to property)
Vernieling en Openbare Orde= Vandalism and Disturbance of the Peace.

What these numbers do not show is the number of fatalities. If I can find those I will post them.

What these numbers do not show either is the number of casualties caused while "preventing crimes"- as in, those accidental shootings.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Ok, that's enough. I

Quote:
Ok, that's enough. I think I have collected a decent list here.

I agree.

Quote:
I have to ask Kevin: did you really think that there were no cases of homeowners using guns to deal with home invaders? I'm having trouble believing this. Was I taking your comment about there being no cases such as these too seriously? Did you spend a few minutes on google before making your bold and obviously untrue claim?

Well, I did certainly spend some time on Google, but not prior to making my rather bold claim (actually I was surprised after the fact that you dug those up; I didn't have any relevant hits using the phrase 'homeowner self defense firearm home invasion' aside from two links to the story I linked to).

Jorm, something perhaps a bit odd about me:

I don't actually mind losing a lot of credibility or getting odd looks as long as it results in the legwork being done for the data to be dug up that will actually spur-on a debate.

You might note...

Quote:

Quote:
Liar. There is no nice way to say it, you are just a liar. Come on, man. At least pick beleivable lies. Was this serious? Maybe you were joking. Please tell me you don't really believe this.

It's one thing, of course, to simply spout, 'LIAR, LIAR, LIAR!', and another entirely to defend that charge.

So, by all means:

Give examples of contemporary accounts where a home owner has driven-off a home invader with a personal firearm.

...I did not deny being a liar. Smiling

And now, of course, we have some actual data to work with, rather than just conjecture.

I'll have to peruse it tomorrow.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

marshalltenbears
User is offlineOffline
so punish everyone?

So because some innocents died you have to punish everyon? Now I don't have a right to defend myself and my family because of some idiots.

marshalltenbears
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:marshalltenbears

Tapey wrote:

marshalltenbears wrote:

If there are gun amnisties in america (a time when you can give in unregustered guns with no consiquenses) I hope you are planing to hand them in. If you must own guns at least own them legally. 

marshalltenbears wrote:

No people won't just be nice to each other but it would give crimes victums a better chance imo. I don't no about other people but I would rather be muged by someone with a knife rather than a gun. (or prefrably a pen like my friend) It would no doubt be no less traumatic but it is the way I feel about it.

marshalltenbears wrote:

and well said on this one, no solution will fully work as people are the problem. Guns don't kill people by themselves. Improve the economic conditions in the places where the crimanals come from and you will likely see improvment (maybe not in rapes), I can't belive if people had better employment oppertunities they would still rob people.

I do own them legally. Its called the second amendment.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears wrote:So

marshalltenbears wrote:

So because some innocents died you have to punish everyon? Now I don't have a right to defend myself and my family because of some idiots.

Yup! thats the way Carebearism/Pussification works

What Would Kharn Do?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Links?

Links are easy enough to come by. But first, I would like to observe that your two links are to different shooting that took place in South Carolina and Chicago respectively.

As far as your assertion about the second one being premeditated murder, Yah, the story sounds pretty bad and I certainly do not claim special insight into Canadian law. However, here in Connecticut, that story would probably be aggravated assault in the first degree.

Why it is not murder: Nobody died.

Why it is not premeditated: Lack of a specific target. The homeowner did not have a fix for a specific person ahead of time.

Why it is assault 1: Possibility of grave injury. CT law divides assault categories by the potential to cause injury or death. He shot the guy and therefore it is automatically assault 1.

Why it is aggravated assault: He would not let the guy run away. On a related note, several states do allow you to shoot someone in the back to prevent him from leaving the scene of the crime. I do not know about Illinois specifically but if that was the case, he could have let the guy run, still killed him and been legally clear. The holding him and continuing to shoot at him is where the problem lies.

As for links, here is another set:

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/jerseycity/index.ssf?/base/news-7/123476918135250.xml&coll=3

Officer pulled over two men drag racing in public. One of the men tried to crush the officer between his car and the police car. Officer shoot the driver in the hand.

http://www.ksat.com/news/18617228/detail.html

Four men accosted a woman but she got away then called relatives for help. They arrived with guns. Then the men came came back and tried to break into her house. Three of the four ended up shot. No one in the home will be facing charges.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/SHOT06_20090205-221208/199519/

Two men tried to enter another man's residence with guns (why is not clear in the article), end up getting shot. The shooter was not legally entitled to own a gun and will be charged on that but not charged for the shooting itself.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2009/02/justified_homicides.html

Two guys have been arguing for some time apparently. One guy goe to the other guy's house waving a toy gun. The homeowner has a real gun and kills the guy waving the toy. I guess that that could have been prevented not by a ban on real guns but on toy ones instead.

Bonus for this article as it had a list of several other justified homicides at the bottom.

http://www.times-herald.com/local/Slaying-was-self-defense-662526

Three guys are in some stupid long term fight and one of them decides to attack the other two. While the first guy is pistol whipping the second, the third gets a shotgun and shoots the first one.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/020609_Store_owner_wont_be_charged_in_shooting

Two guys try to rob a liquour store and the owner shoots at them. On of them is dead and the other is on the run.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:WOW! Can

greek goddess wrote:

Hey, now. I'm from rural Alaska (though from Southeast Alaska, rather than the west, which is in the news right now). Most towns and villages have a VPSO, a village public safety officer. My brother-in-law was stationed out in Unalakleet many years ago. The response time from a VPSO is usually measured in single-digit minutes, as the towns and villages are pretty small, and everybody is no more than 5 minutes from anybody else.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
What cannot be statisticated

What cannot be statisticated is the number of criminal acts that did not happen because we can own a gun.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:What cannot be

aiia wrote:

What cannot be statisticated is the number of criminal acts that did not happen because we can own a gun.

I don't think I agree here. Western nations can be compared with Western nations. I am not sure if guns are legal in Canada (I believe they are), but in most European countries (with the exception of Switzerland) they are not. If owning guns does prevent criminal acts from happening, this might be reflected in the statistics somehow.

Although this ís a tricky one, of course, since guns are probably not the only factor. But still, might be worth looking into.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears wrote:Tapey

marshalltenbears wrote:

Tapey wrote:

marshalltenbears wrote:

I do own them legally. Its called the second amendment.

Sorry, I don't live in America so I don't know the exact laws. I assume by unregistered you mean the goverment doesn't have those guns as belonging to you? Correct me if im wrong but that is what it means here in South Africa. That is legal? To own a gun the goverment doesn't know about?

All animals are equal.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears wrote:So

marshalltenbears wrote:

No, I don't think i've read anyone in here say that guns should be banned. I for one just want to see some common sense in gun laws.

All animals are equal.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:And now,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

And now, of course, we have some actual data to work with, rather than just conjecture.

The thing is that I don't even particularly care about the data. If there never was a single case of someone defending themselves with a gun in all of history, I would still own a gun. If it was proven that guns were worthless for self defense in every way, I would still own a gun. I like target shooting. That is why I own a gun. Coincidently, guns can be used for self defense. That is just a nice bonus.

A year befor I was old enought to buy a gun (so not quite two years ago) I took a handgun safety course. I thought it would just focus on shooting guns and nothing more. It turns out I signed up for a defensive handgun shooting course. It was really interesting. It opened my eyes to how useful (and not to mention fun) handguns are. So when people claim that handguns aren't useful for self defense, I just don't believe it. In my state it is extremely difficult to get a CCW, so for me personally handguns are no good in public (I make due by carrying a legal knife). But in states that have 'shall issue' laws regarding CCWs (and all but four states have that policy), handguns are useful for virtually anyone to carry in public. I know I'm not going to convince anyone who is against gun ownership that these things are true, but I am certain of them. I am certain that handguns are excellent tools of self defense and I am know that every state that has changed its laws from 'may issue' to 'shall issue' regarding CCWs has seen a decrease in violent crime over the next few years even if the nation trend in per capita violent crime rates has increased over that period. This is either a coicidence that has repeated it self in dozens of states over the course of more than a decade as individual states adopted 'shall issue' policies one by one, or loose CCW laws have some impact in reducing violent crime rates. It has reached the point were only the four most anti-gun states refuse to adopt 'shall issue' CCW laws. As backwards as this may sound, 46 states have recognized the benefit of having more guns in public that are carried by trained non-felon non-law enforcement citizens.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:marshalltenbears

Tapey wrote:

marshalltenbears wrote:

No, I don't think i've read anyone in here say that guns should be banned. I for one just want to see some common sense in gun laws.

We currently have over 20,000 gun control laws in the US. How many more do we need? Would having over 30,000 be more reasonable or would having only 10,000 be more reasonable? I think we have far to many gun control laws. I some states have created a convoluted maze of gun regulations that no citizen can be expected to understand.  In California people have been convicted of violating our states assault weapons ban and appeal courts have overturned the convictions since the assault weapon bill is too difficult to understand. It turns out that our state firearm laws are so numerous and complex that our state appeals courts claim that they violate equal protection and due process. It is so bad in that in one case the prosecution was unable to find the exact part of the assault weapons law that a man violated. They still got a conviction (was that jury stupid?), but an appeals court overturned that one also. Basically I see most gun laws as a way to harass gun owners and not as laws that protect us from unreasonable gun use. I agree with some gun laws: no gun ownership for felons, no discharging firearms in city limits, no threatening people with firearms unless you are in a situation that allows lethal self defense. Stuff like that is fine with me; its the 20,000+ other laws that average citizens can not possibly understand and even prosecutors can't always understand that I am against.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:We

Jormungander wrote:

We currently have over 20,000 gun control laws in the US. How many more do we need?

There should be one. And only one. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yaerav wrote:I don't think I

Yaerav wrote:
I don't think I agree here. Western nations can be compared with Western nations. I am not sure if guns are legal in Canada (I believe they are), but in most European countries (with the exception of Switzerland) they are not. If owning guns does prevent criminal acts from happening, this might be reflected in the statistics somehow.

I believe the contributing differences is the economic systems between countries. In America there is much emphasis on individual financial success and a laissez faire attitude with a limited safety net in case of hard times whereas Europe has a socialist attitude with a billowing safety net.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Only in self defense?

Only in self defense? sounds good if everyone obeyed that but they don't.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gun Myths

From http://www.americanselfdefense.com/gunfacts3.0.pdf

-  Gun availability is what is causing school shootings
-  Handguns are 43 times more likely to kill a family member
-  gun sales lead to more gun violence
-  murder victims are killed by either relatives or acquaintances
-  Guns in poor communities cause deaths
-  Other countries register guns to fight crime
-  Gun registration works
-  Gun registration will help police find suspects
-  Registration does not lead to confiscation
-  Licensing will keep bad people from obtaining or using guns
-  “Assault weapons ”are a serious problem in the U.S
-  Assault weapons are used in 16% of homicides
-  Assault weapons can be easily converted to machine guns
-  Accidental gun fatalities are a serious problem
-  Innocent bystanders are often killed by guns
-  Citizens are too incompetent to use guns for protection
-  Police favor gun control.
-  The police are our protection, and people don't need guns
-  The supply of guns is a danger to law enforcement
-  “Cop Killer ”bullets need to be banned
-  Teflon bullets are designed to penetrate police bullet-  proof vests
-  High capacity guns lead to more deadly shootings
-  The Second Amendment is a collective right, not an individual right
-  The "militia" clause is to arm the National Guard
-  The Supreme Court has ruled that the Second Amendment is not an individual right.
-  U.S. v. Miller said that the Second Amendment is not an individual right
-  Gun owners are a tiny minority
-  Most Americans favor gun control

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
gunfacts3.0 wrote:-  Gun

gunfacts3.0 wrote:

We would need a definition of 'works' to determine that. As a first step towards a gun ban you would have to have gun registration. Almost all firearms in America are unregistered. So if guns were banned tomorrow the government wouldn't even know who has them. Registration does work, in the sense that it gives a list of houses to seize guns from to the government. Even in California, which has the strictest anti-gun laws of any state in the nation, there is no registration for rifles or shotguns. But as far as reducing crime goes, registration would not stop criminals from keeping their illegal guns.

gunfacts3.0 wrote:

Handguns are 43 times more likely to kill a family member

That one is my favorite gun banner lie. What they do is they look at suicide statistics since half of all suicides in the US are preformed with firearms. They then compare the number of suicides performed with guns to a gross underestimation of the number of justified homiceds performed with firearms (their number for that is an outright falsehood). They then state the lie that you are 43 times more likely to kill a family member than an intruder when they really should have said that suicides performed with guns are 43 times as common as their obvious falsely low number of justified homicides performed with guns. And for the record, gun owners are not more likely to commit suicide than non gun owners, but if they do commit suicide they almost always use their gun.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bulletted lists are fun.

Bulletted lists are fun. Ultimate in efficiency. Laughing out loud

Gun Myth wrote:

Oh please. It's a factor. It can't be a cause. A gun isn't a cause. Unless it assembles itself, arms itself, and sets itself off anyway. I've never heard of that happening...

Gun Myth wrote:

-  Handguns are 43 times more likely to kill a family member

43 times more likely than what, exactly? A foot? A shovel? A baseball bat? A tub? Meh. This has got to be one of the first advertising tricks I became aware of. Sad to see it used at all, let alone in a serious discussion.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  gun sales lead to more gun violence

Eh. That would seem logical. But it depends on too many circumstances to take this comment as accurate.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  murder victims are killed by either relatives or acquaintances

Usually. Not always.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  Guns in poor communities cause deaths

Eh? Perhaps you mean that the poor in poor communities cause deaths....

Gun Myth wrote:

-  Other countries register guns to fight crime

I have never once heard of this being accurate.

Gun Myth wrote:

Define "works".

Gun Myth wrote:

-  Gun registration will help police find suspects

Change "will" to "can, but not necessarily will".

Gun Myth wrote:

-  Registration does not lead to confiscation

Huh? What's this supposed to mean anyway?

Gun Myth wrote:

-  Licensing will keep bad people from obtaining or using guns

Might make it a bit harder, but it won't stop them.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  “Assault weapons ”are a serious problem in the U.S
-  Assault weapons are used in 16% of homicides
-  Assault weapons can be easily converted to machine guns

I have been educated to know that I'm not familiar enough with various weapon types to comment on specific guns.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  Accidental gun fatalities are a serious problem

Sure.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  Innocent bystanders are often killed by guns

Definately. Two within a couple weeks in Toronto.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  Citizens are too incompetent to use guns for protection

That says something about the education system, not guns.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  Police favor gun control.

HA! That depends entirely on where you are. Even in Canada every police force would give a different answer to this question. RCMP would mostly say it's ridiculous. Farmers don't tend to go on killing sprees. But Division 59 of the Toronto Police service would definately jump on this wagon.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  The police are our protection, and people don't need guns

I don't trust police any more than I trust normal people. Why? Because they are just normal people in a uniform.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  The supply of guns is a danger to law enforcement

How obvious are you trying to be? Lets continue: The supply of cars is a danger to law enforcement. The supply of carbon is a danger to law enforcement. The supply of methane is a danger to law enforcement. The supply of doughnuts is a danger to law enforcement.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  “Cop Killer ”bullets need to be banned

What the hell? Do they know how easy it is to MAKE a cop killer bullet? I think if you're looking through the guys gun after the shootout, he's already dead. Another charge isn't going to help anything but the deforestation process.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  Teflon bullets are designed to penetrate police bullet-  proof vests

Teflon bullets? What the hell is the point? Is it cheaper to make it out of Teflon? I wouldn't have thought so...

Gun Myth wrote:

-  High capacity guns lead to more deadly shootings

Define "high capacity gun".

Gun Myth wrote:

-  The Second Amendment is a collective right, not an individual right

American politics. I couldn't say one way or the other.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  The "militia" clause is to arm the National Guard
-  The Supreme Court has ruled that the Second Amendment is not an individual right.
-  U.S. v. Miller said that the Second Amendment is not an individual right

See above.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  Gun owners are a tiny minority

Uhm...no. Gun owners are the majority.

Gun Myth wrote:

-  Most Americans favor gun control

Poll?

Dracos
User is offlineOffline
weapons

What it comes down to is choice.  If you don't believe in abortion, don't have one.  If you don't believe you have a right to defend yourself.  Put yourself at the mercy of evil people.  The government of whatever country you live in does not have the right to decide for you.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Bulletted lists

Vastet wrote:
Bulletted lists are fun. Ultimate in efficiency. :D

I agree...

40 Reasons For Gun Control

1. Banning guns works, which is why New York, DC, & Chicago cops need guns.

2. Washington DC's low murder rate of 69 per 100,000 is due to strict gun control, and Indianapolis' high murder rate of 9 per 100,000 is due to the lack of gun control.

3. Statistics showing high murder rates justify gun control but statistics showing increasing murder rates after gun control are "just statistics."

4. The Brady Bill and the Assault Weapons Ban, both of which went into effect in 1994 are responsible for the decrease in violent crime rates, which have been declining since 1991.

5. We must get rid of guns because a deranged lunatic may go on a shooting spree at any time and anyone who would own a gun out of fear of such a lunatic is paranoid.

6. The more helpless you are the safer you are from criminals.

7. An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

8. A woman raped and strangled is morally superior to a woman with a smoking gun and a dead rapist at her feet.

9. When confronted by violent criminals, you should "put up no defense -- give them what they want, or run" (Handgun Control Inc. Chairman Pete Shields, Guns Don't Die - People Do, 1981, p.125).

10. The New England Journal of Medicine is filled with expert advice about guns; just like Guns & Ammo has some excellent treatises on heart surgery.

11. One should consult an automotive engineer for safer seatbelts, a civil engineer for a better bridge, a surgeon for internal medicine, a computer programmer for hard drive problems, and Sarah Brady for firearms expertise.

12. The 2nd Amendment, ratified in 1787, refers to the National Guard, which was created 130 years later, in 1917.

13. The National Guard, federally funded, with bases on federal land, using federally-owned weapons, vehicles, buildings and uniforms, punishing trespassers under federal law, is a "state" militia.

14. These phrases: "right of the people peaceably to assemble," "right of the people to be secure in their homes," "enumerations herein of certain rights shall not be construed to disparage others retained by the people," and "The powers not delegated herein are reserved to the states respectively, and to the people" all refer to individuals, but "the right of the people to keep and bear arm" refers to the state.

15. "The Constitution is strong and will never change." But we should ban and seize all guns thereby violating the 2nd, 4th, and 5th Amendments to that Constitution.

16. Rifles and handguns aren't necessary to national defense! Of course, the army has hundreds of thousands of them.

17. Private citizens shouldn't have handguns, because they aren't "military weapons", but private citizens shouldn't have "assault rifles", because they are military weapons.

18. In spite of waiting periods, background checks, finger printing, government forms, etc., guns today are too readily available, which is responsible for recent school shootings. In the 1940's, 1950's and1960's, anyone could buy guns at hardware stores, army surplus stores, gas stations, variety stores, Sears mail order, no waiting, no background check, no fingerprints, no government forms and there were no school shootings.

19. The NRA's attempt to run a "don't touch" campaign about kids handling guns is propaganda, but the anti-gun lobby's attempt to run a "don't touch" campaign is responsible social activity.

20. Guns are so complex that special training is necessary to use them properly, and so simple to use that they make murder easy.

21. A handgun, with up to 4 controls, is far too complex for the typical adult to learn to use, as opposed to an automobile that only has 20.

22. Women are just as intelligent and capable as men but a woman with a gun is "an accident waiting to happen" and gun makers' advertisements aimed at women are "preying on their fears."

23. Ordinary people in the presence of guns turn into slaughtering butchers but revert to normal when the weapon is removed.

24. Guns cause violence, which is why there are so many mass killings at gun shows.

25. A majority of the population supports gun control, just like a majority of the population supported owning slaves.

26. Any self-loading small arm can legitimately be considered to be a "weapon of mass destruction" or an "assault weapon."

27. Most people can't be trusted, so we should have laws against guns, which most people will abide by because they can be trusted.

28. The right of Internet pornographers to exist cannot be questioned because it is constitutionally protected by the Bill of Rights, but the use of handguns for self defense is not really protected by the Bill of Rights.

29. Free speech entitles one to own newspapers, transmitters, computers, and typewriters, but self-defense only justifies bare hands.

30. The ACLU is good because it uncompromisingly defends certain parts of the Constitution, and the NRA is bad, because it defends other parts of the Constitution.

31. Charlton Heston, a movie actor as president of the NRA is a cheap lunatic who should be ignored, but Michael Douglas, a movie actor as a representative of Handgun Control, Inc. is an ambassador for peace who is entitled to an audience at the UN arms control summit.

32. Police operate with backup within groups, which is why they need larger capacity pistol magazines than do "civilians" who must face criminals alone and therefore need less ammunition.

33. We should ban "Saturday Night Specials" and other inexpensive guns because it's not fair that poor people have access to guns too.

34. Police officers have some special Jedi-like mastery over hand guns that private citizens can never hope to obtain.

35. Private citizens don't need a gun for self-protection because the police are there to protect them even though the Supreme Court says the police are not responsible for their protection.

36. Citizens don't need to carry a gun for personal protection but police chiefs, who are desk-bound administrators who work in a building filled with cops, need a gun.

37. "Assault weapons" have no purpose other than to kill large numbers of people. The police need assault weapons. You do not.

38. When Microsoft pressures its distributors to give Microsoft preferential promotion, that's bad; but when the Federal government pressures cities to buy guns only from Smith & Wesson, that's good.

39. Trigger locks do not interfere with the ability to use a gun for defensive purposes, which is why you see police officers with one on their duty weapon.

40. Handgun Control, Inc. says they want to "keep guns out of the wrong hands." Guess what? You have the wrong hands.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
America is truly the land of

America is truly the land of contradiction.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:Tapey

Jormungander wrote:

Tapey wrote:

marshalltenbears wrote:

We currently have over 20,000 gun control laws in the US. How many more do we need? Would having over 30,000 be more reasonable or would having only 10,000 be more reasonable? I think we have far to many gun control laws. I some states have created a convoluted maze of gun regulations that no citizen can be expected to understand.  In California people have been convicted of violating our states assault weapons ban and appeal courts have overturned the convictions since the assault weapon bill is too difficult to understand. It turns out that our state firearm laws are so numerous and complex that our state appeals courts claim that they violate equal protection and due process. It is so bad in that in one case the prosecution was unable to find the exact part of the assault weapons law that a man violated. They still got a conviction (was that jury stupid?), but an appeals court overturned that one also. Basically I see most gun laws as a way to harass gun owners and not as laws that protect us from unreasonable gun use. I agree with some gun laws: no gun ownership for felons, no discharging firearms in city limits, no threatening people with firearms unless you are in a situation that allows lethal self defense. Stuff like that is fine with me; its the 20,000+ other laws that average citizens can not possibly understand and even prosecutors can't always understand that I am against.

20,000 and how many are based on any sense what so ever? As I understand it you don't even have to register your guns.  These gun laws must be avalable to the public I would like to see what useless things they have used reached to get to 20,000. Wait I just so happened to google it and that would include all federall laws and all the states individual laws. I looked for your federal laws on this and from what little I have seen there are more on the creation of guns and ammo than limiting what you may do with it.

e.g. (1) Marking of ammunition. Each

licensed manufacturer or licensed importer

of armor piercing ammunition

shall identify such ammunition by

means of painting, staining or dying the

exterior of the projectile with an opaque

black coloring. This coloring must completely

cover the point of the projectile

and at least 50 percent of that portion of

the projectile which is visible when the

projectile is loaded into a cartridge case.

So I would say that the 20,000 figure you posted is infact not really valid as most do not have anything to do with you.  

A what point are you guns going to realise that your consitution is what 125 maybe 200 years old and is perhaps outdated. There is no way They could of predicted all the advances in weapons. Our constitution in south Africa is 15 years old and as such reflects this better. Our problem in South Africa Is all the Apartied resistance weaponary still in public hands not the laws, It is the fact that there are to many guns out there. But in our yearly gun amnisties over 500,000 illegal guns have been handed in this includes rocket launches, handguns, semi automatic and fully automatic weaponary. In return everyone who hands in weapons gets toys for there kids. It is a great program. People even hand in there legal guns because most people on the rifght side of the law want a gun free society and you are never going to achive this by having guns.

All animals are equal.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:-  Gun

aiia wrote:

This one I have to answer.

It's the culture, silly! How can you tell a movie is an action movie from the cover? How? There's someone (usually the protagonist) holding a handgun on the front. Every single action movie. Check it out at your video store, or peruse the covers at amazon.com.

The American hero solves problems with a firearm, and that idea has permeated American culture, apparently. Because while I see many different ways to deal with a dangerous situation, lots of people here are suggesting that shooting someone is not only reasonable, it's the prudent course of action.

Hey, don't get me wrong: one less American. (That was for darth_josh, if he comes back into the fray.) But you've culturally limited your options for self-defence down to (potentially) lethal force, and without any thought to alternatives at all. There are, in fact, many alternatives to lethal force in any situation, but the American mind has been trained to fixate on this one solution.

It reminds me of tough-man competitions, where a couple of amateurs get into a ring to embarrass themselves, and their big plan is that they're going to punch the guy in the face a lot. It always surprises me that despite the fact that they know they're going to fight, they get what seems to be zero training to deal with the situation they're walking into. And zero conditioning.

Maybe Chris Rock is right: if you have a gun, you don't have to work out. You just wave it around, endangering anyone within range, and you're a big man. I just consider that sloppy and "unprofessional", as my hand-to-hand instructor used to say.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:Ok this

greek goddess wrote:
Ok this is the last hypothetical situation I'm addressing, because these are getting way too detailed, and the details tend to just make the whole thing more ridiculous.

Dracos has a rich fantasy life.

greek goddess wrote:
If I'm stupid and groggy enough to go answer the door for a complete stranger, then how come I wouldn't be stupid and groggy enough to forget to bring my gun with me? Why am I not stupid and groggy enough to shoot them dead on sight immediately? And as I said before, I can disarm an opponent with my hands. It's unlikely they could get close enough to shove the barrel of the gun in my mouth. I guess if I was groggy, my reaction time would be down, but if that's the case I wouldn't have the reflexes to shoot them immediately anyways.

See, everybody? Goddess has options and consideration of her tactical environment.

As for the rest of you, there is the following exercise: get a fake handgun, or one that can be dry-fired safely, like a paint-ball gun. First, learn the easiest ways to remove the gun from your friend's hand while relaxed. Just play around with different techniques. Then, while your friend is holding it fairly tightly, in different positions, etc. Youtube must be filled with different techniques that you can try on their own merits.

Next, play a game. You have to disarm your friend before she can squeeze the trigger while the barrel is pointed at you. She knows you're going to disarm her, she just doesn't know when. It's like that game where kids slap each others' hands - you can't move your hand before the slap. It's a fun game. But more importantly, once you get good at it (I admit, this is easier with a teacher to show you how to perform the techniques) you realize how difficult it is for the person holding the gun to get a shot off, and most of the things you do aren't fancy kung-fu moves, they're dirty tricks, like saying, "hold on, I have to tie my shoes" and then disarming. "Cheating" is encouraged. Once you've disarmed your partner, then you switch roles.

If you want to add adrenaline to the mix, load the paintball gun. That shit hurts up close.

But if you get good at the game, a whole world of options is open to you, especially if you try it with different people. Try it with a fake knife!

DISCLAIMER: I do not recommend this exercise without a properly trained instructor or appropriate safety equipment.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Bulletted lists are fun. Ultimate in efficiency. :D

I agree...

40 Reasons For Gun Control

Great list.

But...

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

35. Private citizens don't need a gun for self-protection because the police are there to protect them even though the Supreme Court says the police are not responsible for their protection.

Citation Needed?

-Triften

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Maybe

HisWillness wrote:

Maybe Chris Rock is right: if you have a gun, you don't have to work out. You just wave it around, endangering anyone within range, and you're a big man. I just consider that sloppy and "unprofessional", as my hand-to-hand instructor used to say.

A lot of people consider that to be the most attractive feature of guns. You show a gun and most people flee rather than see if they can wrestle it from you. Obviously you don't wave it around sloppily. In a few of the news stories I posted here about gun owners defending themselves, a few were about gun owners announcing that they had a gun or showing an intruder a gun and the intruder flees. That pregnant woman I mentioned (http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=8445177) can't use hand to hand combat to make two intruders leave her home. On the other hand, she can get her shotgun and threaten them into leaving. That 85 year old woman (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,406185,00.html) is pretty helpless, unless she has a gun. But since she does have a gun she is far more lethal than virtually anyone who thinks that they can break into her house.

The only situations in which you are legal allowed to brandish a gun are those in which there will be an immenent attack on you that has a high likelihood of causing great bodily injury (rape is defined as a form of great bodily injury for this law). So a gun owner waving around his gun to be a big man is violating the law. On the other hand a gun owner forcing someone who is intruding in his home to leave or someone attacking him with a weapon in public to flee is following the law and isn't just 'being a big man' or being sloppy by using a gun.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
triften wrote:Citation

triften wrote:

Citation Needed?

-Triften

Sadly, that is real. That was one of the most fucked up Supreme Court rulings that I can think of. It is Castle Rock v. Gonzales.

Here is an quick description of the case:

"The post-mortem discussion on Gonzales has been fiery but it has missed an obvious point. If the government won't protect you, then you have to take responsibility for your own self-defense and that of your family. The court's ruling is a sad decision, but one that every victim and/or potential victim of violence must note: calling the police is not enough. You must also be ready to defend yourself.

In 1999, Gonzales obtained a restraining order against her estranged husband Simon, which limited his access to their children. On June 22, 1999, Simon abducted their three daughters. Though the Castle Rock police department disputes some of the details of what happened next, the two sides are in basic agreement: After her daughters' abduction, Gonzales repeatedly phoned the police for assistance. Officers visited the home. Believing Simon to be non-violent and, arguably, in compliance with the limited access granted by the restraining order, the police did nothing.

The next morning, Simon committed "suicide by cop." He shot a gun repeatedly through a police station window and was killed by returned fire. The murdered bodies of Leslie, 7, Katheryn, 9 and Rebecca, 10 were found in Simon's pickup truck.

In her lawsuit, Gonzales claimed the police violated her 14th Amendment right to due process and sued them. She won at the Appeals level.

What were the arguments that won and lost in the Supreme Court?

Winners: local officials fell back upon a rich history of court decisions that found the police to have no constitutional obligation to protect individuals from private individuals. In 1856, the U.S. Supreme Court (South v. Maryland) found that law enforcement officers had no affirmative duty to provide such protection. In 1982 (Bowers v. DeVito), the Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit held, "...there is no Constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen."[emphasis mine]

Later court decisions have concurred."

Basically many courts have determined in separate cases that the police are under no obligation to protect anyone. It goes so far as to mean that the police have no obligation to respond even if they think you are going to be killed if they don't act. The US Justice system takes a laissez faire approach to self defense.

Warren v. District of Columbia an example of the kinds of things that courts have ruled that the police have no obligation to respond to:

"Two women were upstairs in a townhouse when they heard their roommate, a third woman, being attacked downstairs by intruders. They phoned the police several times and were assured that officers were on the way. After about 30 minutes, when their roommate's screams had stopped, they assumed the police
had finally arrived. When the two women went downstairs they saw that in fact the police never came, but the intruders were still there. As the Warren court graphically states in the opinion: 'For the next fourteen hours the women were held captive, raped, robbed, beaten, forced to commit sexual acts upon each other, and made to submit to the sexual demands of their attackers.'"

And what was the court's rulling in Warren v. D.C.?

Henry H. Kennedy, Jr. United States District Judge wrote:

a fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.

There is a collection of cases in which courts rule that the police have no obligation to protect people. The Warren case was the most egregious by far since the police did nothing despite repeated calls from these women. And of course the women paid the price for having lazy police in thier town by being raped repeatedly for fourteen hours. In the end the women attempted to sue the local police station, but the station kept appealing the outcome of the law suit until a court ruled in their favor.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:triften

Jormungander wrote:

triften wrote:

Citation Needed?

-Triften

Sadly, that is real. That was one of the most fucked up Supreme Court rulings that I can think of. It is Castle Rock v. Gonzales.

I'm so glad such is not the case in Canada. If the police receive a call through 911, they are obliged by law to respond, even if they think it's a prank or false report.

Dracos
User is offlineOffline
weapons

if you don't think you should defend yourself or your loved ones , Trust in god , or your government.  I  don't.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I'm so glad

Vastet wrote:

I'm so glad such is not the case in Canada. If the police receive a call through 911, they are obliged by law to respond, even if they think it's a prank or false report.

That sounds like the way things should be. I really don't understand why courts in the US have always ruled that the police are under no obligation to respond to calls or protect people. If police don't have to respond to call or protect people, exactly what are they supposed to do? I think of it as an arrangement between a city and its police. The police protect the people of that city to the best of their ability and the city pays the police. If the police fail at their jobs, then they should face legal repercussions. Instead they have been given protection from every facing repercussions for refusing to act. It boggles the mind.