Theists: the piranas have a question for you

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theists: the piranas have a question for you

Thunderfoot's latest work, brilliantly demolishing the ridiculous argument from morality. Do enjoy. Eye-wink

Oh, and Christians - how do you explain why, in the midst of a feeding frenzy, piranas do not simply devour one another?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just had to... 

I just had to...

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gene:  You win.

Gene:

You win. Eye-wink

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

I just had to...

For the Win!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
TY guys. I thought about

TY guys.

I thought about going back and making the font neater.  But thinking a bit more, I kinfof like the campy 70's textbook throwback look.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Thunderfoot's latest work, brilliantly demolishing the ridiculous argument from morality. Do enjoy. Eye-wink

Why does he invoke the Buddhist concept of morality (@ time 5:16) to support his argument? Very strange.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Why does he invoke the

Quote:
Why does he invoke the Buddhist concept of morality (@ time 5:16) to support his argument? Very strange.

Why did you dodge a straightforward question?

Very strange.

*Puffs on his pipe*

EDIT: The part of the video you indicated is a scene from Wrath of Khan, where tf00t is explaining the scientific understanding of morality. What quote in particulardid you think was the 'Buddist concept of morality'?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:EDIT:

Kevin R Brown wrote:
EDIT: The part of the video you indicated is a scene from Wrath of Khan, where tf00t is explaining the scientific understanding of morality. What quote in particulardid you think was the 'Buddist concept of morality'?

The part where he states "Buddhists say."

What exactly is the "scientific understanding of morality?"

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Kevin R Brown

Paisley wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

At 5:16 he says: "Good is usually used to descrbe behaviors that..."

It helps to actually pay attention to what is being said in the video before you try and shoot it down with a snide remark.

Tell me how you made sense of the sentence: "Buddhists usually used to describe behaviors that benifit society, and evil those that are detrimental to it."

And if you didn't make sense of that sentence, because you didn't actually pay attention to what he was saying, then I don't find it strange that you find what he's saying strange.

Paying attention tends to help you make sense of things.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Very nice.  Never seen

Very nice.  Never seen his videos before.  I'll definitely take a couple before bed.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:At 5:16 he says: "Good

Quote:

It helps to actually pay attention to what is being said in the video before you try and shoot it down with a snide remark.

Tell me how you made sense of the sentence: "Buddhists usually used to describe behaviors that benifit society, and evil those that are detrimental to it."

And if you didn't make sense of that sentence, because you didn't actually pay attention to what he was saying, then I don't find it strange that you find what he's saying strange.

Paying attention tends to help you make sense of things.

Holy crap. This thread is just brimming with win.

Nik, dude?

You're awesome.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:Paisley

Nikolaj wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Okay, I stand corrected. I misunderstood the passage due to his British accent. But I fail to understand why you are having a hissy fit over it.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Nikolaj

Paisley wrote:

Nikolaj wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Okay, I stand corrected. I misunderstood the passage due to his British accent. But I fail to understand why you are having a hissy fit over it.

Because you bug me Paisley. It's a total mea culpa. I know that this was nothing but an honest mistake, and I could have just pointed that out, but I've allready read enough of your posts here to know what you are like: smug.

And in this instance, instead of actually addressing the points he raises in the video, you just make a snide drive-by remark. That bugged me.

Had you actually attempted to honestly adress the content of this thread, you could have responded to the points the video makes, and had you done that, you would surely have noticed he doesn't say anything about Buddhists.

If you had intended to attack Thunderfoot's invocation of Buddhist morals with real interlectual honesty, you would have listened to the point he made about buddhists and adressed it directly.

Clearly you didn't do that because then you would have noticed the sentence at 5:16 doesn't make sense, if he WAS infact saying is saying "Buddhists".

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:Paisley

Nikolaj wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Because you bug me Paisley. It's a total mea culpa. I know that this was nothing but an honest mistake, and I could have just pointed that out, but I've allready read enough of your posts here to know what you are like: smug.

And in this instance, instead of actually addressing the points he raises in the video, you just make a snide drive-by remark. That bugged me.

Had you actually attempted to honestly adress the content of this thread, you could have responded to the points the video makes, and had you done that, you would surely have noticed he doesn't say anything about Buddhists.

If you had intended to attack Thunderfoot's invocation of Buddhist morals with real interlectual honesty, you would have listened to the point he made about buddhists and adressed it directly.

Clearly you didn't do that because then you would have noticed the sentence at 5:16 doesn't make sense, if he WAS infact saying is saying "Buddhists".

Sounds like you have issues. I wish I could help. Unfortunately, I'm not a psychotherapist. For what it is worth...take a couple of deep breaths and learn how to relax. Life is too short, especially for an atheist.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Haha Cute...Now, are you

Haha Smiling

Cute...

Now, are you gonna adress the OP, or will you just continue to show everyone what a small person you are? You're not doing yourself any favors by behaving exactly like I expected you would. You are just showing all newcomers to the boards that I wasn't overreacting above, but rather that you are indeed evasive, selfrightious, and smug.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah, just let him behave like

Ah, just let him behave like that, Nik.

I'm sure he'll grow-up someday.

...Oh, wait... Oh no... Paisley! I just had a psychic vision! The vampires are coming for you! Quickly: whittle-up a good set of stakes for yourself and hang some garlic cloves up in front of your window!

I mean, I could be wrong, but better safe than blood-drained sorry, right?

Quote:

February 27, 1940