God is Comforting? No God is Comforting!

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
God is Comforting? No God is Comforting!

I always found it strange how people take comfort in someone watching over them, as opposed to being creeped out or feeling violated. I guess that's because most people pick and choose what their "god" watches and controls, like a personal imaginary friend.

I take more comfort in knowing that there is no absolute, ultimate anything. Things just are. Outside of our "collective conscious" there is no right or wrong. There are patterns and cycles, but emotion is unique to Earth's life forms.

I think that's beautiful, actually.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
The funny thing about this

The funny thing about this is that a lot of the fundies I have lived around were the paranoid Orwellian conspiracy nuts that were concerned that the government was using wire taps, surveillance cameras, etc, to keep tabs on the public. They find comfort in a mindreading invisible sky fairy, but put an aluminum foil wrapped box over their computer monitor to keep the Feds from reading their chat messages.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was a theist for the first

I was a theist for the first decade or so of my life, and I took no comfort in it.  I didn't get along with my dad well whom represented god as a preacher, so of course the term heavenly father didn't sound all to appealing, and it got even worse when I actually read the bible.  On top of that, imagine being told you be stuck with that awful asshole forever, and that's the good outcome...

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anyone who claims to follow

Anyone who claims to follow the Bible should know that its authors constantly caution the flock about becoming complacent and to worry about how you are pissing off God just by breathing the wrong way.  This is established in the Old and New Testaments in very familiar verses.  Proverbs states that "the fear of the lord is the beginning of wisdom" and Phillippians suggests that you "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling".  Comfort is not supposed to be part of the equation.  It's about supplication and self-denial, far as I can tell.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, the whole taking

Yeah, the whole taking comfort in being spied on by god is a feat of intellectual compartmentalization. If people would put that kind of mental energy into *reality* the world would be a better place.

peppermint wrote:

From what I've read, your view is pretty much in line with the material pantheists. The kind of worship of the awesomeness that is reality. I personally find a lot of comfort in that kind of realization. That I'm part of a big picture, a vast, everchanging, organic symphony.

It's good stuff. I approve this message.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:Yeah, the

marcusfish wrote:

Yeah, the whole taking comfort in being spied on by god is a feat of intellectual compartmentalization. If people would put that kind of mental energy into *reality* the world would be a better place.

peppermint wrote:

From what I've read, your view is pretty much in line with the material pantheists. The kind of worship of the awesomeness that is reality. I personally find a lot of comfort in that kind of realization. That I'm part of a big picture, a vast, everchanging, organic symphony.

It's good stuff. I approve this message.

Sweet.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

elizabethsuzette
elizabethsuzette's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was raised Catholic, and

I was raised Catholic, and it was not a comfort. I remember feeling immense guilt for any "impure thought" that would pop up in my head (because, of course, I was taught that sins can be committed inside the mind). Even worse, God knew every detail. To me, God was a voyeur. An omniscient, omnipresent authoritarian voyeur. I remember wondering if God watched me while I was naked. This thought always disturbed me, especially since the Bible (and anybody I knew who was Catholic or Christian) always referred to God as male.

Now, I feel so much better - just to know I'm not being watched by a watched by surveillence camera. I have actual privacy. That's comforting.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
elizabethsuzette wrote:I

elizabethsuzette wrote:

I remember wondering if God watched me while I was naked. This thought always disturbed me, especially since the Bible (and anybody I knew who was Catholic or Christian) always referred to God as male.

I always found the thought of God watching naked people funny. My parents didn't much care for me calling God a divine pervert.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
The patient expresses an
  1. The patient expresses an idea or belief with unusual persistence or force.
  2. That idea appears to exert an undue influence on his or her life, and the way of life is often altered to an inexplicable extent.
  3. Despite his/her profound conviction, there is often a quality of secretiveness or suspicion when the patient is questioned about it.
  4. The individual tends to be humorless and oversensitive, especially about the belief.
  5. There is a quality of centrality: no matter how unlikely it is that these strange things are happening to him, the patient accepts them relatively unquestioningly.
  6. An attempt to contradict the belief is likely to arouse an inappropriately strong emotional reaction, often with irritability and hostility.
  7. The belief is, at the least, unlikely.
  8. The patient is emotionally over-invested in the idea and it overwhelms other elements of his psyche.
  9. The delusion, if acted out, often leads to behaviors which are abnormal and/or out of character, although perhaps understandable in the light of the delusional beliefs.
  10. Individuals who know the patient will observe that his belief and behavior are uncharacteristic and alien

Above are the ten principle symptoms which typify psychotic delusion (after A. Munro,  "Delusional Disorder", Cambridge Press, 1999)

With the possible exception of 3 and 10 the qualities listed above are typically observed in a person with strong religious leanings.

According to the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), used by psychologists as a standard by which to test and generally classify personality disorders, exhibition of most or all of these symptoms places the patient firmly within "Class 6" disorders, those related to paranoia of which the standard criteria for inclusion are "suspiciousness, feelings of persecution, grandiose self-concepts, excessive sensitivity, and rigid attitudes". Scoring high in this group means the patient can be clinically classified as paranoid.

One of the commonest expressions of paranoia is an externalisation by the patient of the source of the his insecurity, normally typified by a vague entity perceived nevertheless as one which is very real and which "watches" and "evaluates" the patient's thoughts and actions.

Since paranoia in this sense is a disorder in which fear plays a large role, and since fear itself is a natural and universal trait common to all sentient life, it is therefore acknowledged that the disorder can be artificially induced in subjects.

Ring any bells?

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:3. Despite

Nordmann wrote:

3. Despite his/her profound conviction, there is often a quality of secretiveness or suspicion when the patient is questioned about it.

10. Individuals who know the patient will observe that his belief and behavior are uncharacteristic and alien

With the possible exception of 3 and 10 the qualities listed above are typically observed in a person with strong religious leanings.

I would argue that that is only due to the fact that it is socially to have theistic belief. I think if they were commonly ridiculed or shunned they would be secretive in order to avoid such treatment. I would argue further that symptom 10 would be validated of theistic belief provided said social environment.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace