Last week's findings

elizabethsuzette
elizabethsuzette's picture
User is offlineOffline
Last week's findings

Last week, I discovered some (rare) interesting bits on the community bulletin board at my college.

I found this interesting, although I wasn't sure exactly what the message was. I came to the conclusion that it could be one of two things: 'Don't litter your mind with religion,' or 'Don't litter the religious contents of your mind everywhere, polluting the educational environment.' What do you think?

I couldn't get the second image to upload, so here is a transcript of the paper (I left it COMPLETELY as it was, without correcting the grammatical errors):

Atheists

Atheists are just nonbelievers, who don't believe in the creation theory; they believe Darwin's theory, the Big Bang theory, or some other theory, or maybe aliens. A theory is just a presumption or a philosophical guess. Everyone believes in something --or in nothing; not even himself. I was once a nonbeliever I thought that you died and that was it, you became dust. However, one night I looked up into the heavens and said "God if you are real prove it to me." And He did!

God says if you seek me, you will find me.

I believe the greatest commandment is "Treat others the way you wish to be treated; this is often called the "Golden Rule." Amazingly every culture has this teaching only worded slightly different. I pray that you will never stop searching for the truth.

In the end, I was rather disappointed that the arguments weren't at least a bit more intelligent. I'm thinking about making a reply to this, but there are so many fallacies I don't even know where to start.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
elizabethsuzette wrote:A

elizabethsuzette wrote:

A theory is just a presumption or a philosophical guess.

Not true.

Though I find it hilarious that in the sentence before, the author chides atheists for not believing in creation theory: which by their definition of the word theory makes creation theory no better than evolution or big bang theory.

Why are so many theists such poor writers?

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

elizabethsuzette
User is offlineOffline
Unfortunately, the 7th

Unfortunately, the 7th definition of "theory" from dictionary.com was "guess or conjecture." In the case of creation theory, that definition is quite fitting (although I would enjoy it so much better if "creation theory" was called "creation guess" or "creation conjecture" ). But the Big Bang theory and Darwin's theory (and all truly scientific theories) are much more than guesses and conjectures. What disappoints me is that this poor definition of "theory" can bring scientific theories like the Big Bang and evolution down to a creationist guess-or-conjecture level.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to Rational

Welcome to Rational Responders.

Okay, I'll play with this.

Quote:
Atheists

Atheists are just nonbelievers, who don't believe in the creation theory;

They don't believe in a god or gods.

Quote:
they believe Darwin's theory, the Big Bang theory, or some other theory,

Atheism doesn't necessitate accepting any of these.

Quote:
or maybe aliens.

Maybe?

Quote:
A theory is just a presumption or a philosophical guess.

Informally, we can break up the word theory into two definitions, which includes "a guess." However, the other definition is a well-supported scientific explanation for some aspect of the natural world, i.e., a scientific theory can be the very opposite of a guess, evolution and the big bang included. 

Quote:
Everyone believes in something --or in nothing; not even himself.

This commits a fallacy of equivocation. The first part suggests a "belief" in the truth, or adherence to reality, of a thing or idea. The second part seems to be hinting at self esteem or something similar. 

Quote:
I was once a nonbeliever I thought that you died and that was it, you became dust. However, one night I looked up into the heavens and said "God if you are real prove it to me." And He did!

Really? I did that too and nothing ever happened.

Note that the message doesn't explain how God proved his existence.

Quote:
God says if you seek me, you will find me.

I've always felt that this statement needed a qualifier.

Quote:
I believe the greatest commandment is "Treat others the way you wish to be treated; this is often called the "Golden Rule."

Yes, a good one to live by.

Quote:
Amazingly every culture has this teaching only worded slightly different.

I'm drawing a different conclusion from this.

Quote:
I pray that you will never stop searching for the truth.

I won't. You don't have to pray about it.

Quote:
In the end, I was rather disappointed that the arguments weren't at least a bit more intelligent. I'm thinking about making a reply to this, but there are so many fallacies I don't even know where to start.

The message does commit numerous fallacies, but overall, I didn't think it was that bad. The writer correctly identified atheists as, simply, unbelievers (it's ridiculous how often people screw this up). The writer also appeared to be a moderate, which is why we're looking at an emphasis on the Golden Rule, and instead of praying for us to find Jesus, the person is praying for us to find the truth.

edit: The writer of this message, if it is one person, is someone that would probably accept scientific knowledge if the facts were presented to them. I'm just speculating though.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK I can play too.  

OK I can play too.

Sure, a theory is somewhat of a guess or conjecture. However, every theory is based on something. What makes a given theory worthwhile is what it happens to be based upon. So let me look at some theories and see where they take us:

Evolution theory: Based on a huge pile of evidence. Makes specific predictions that can be checked out. The predictions check out and thus confirm that the theory is good.

Creation theory: Based on a book. Makes no predictions and thus cannot be verified.

Electrical theory: I don't even need to examine this one. If you can see my words, then you are sitting in front of your computer. QEDB.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:In the end, I was

Quote:

You could begin probably with asking them why they fail to distinguish between blind faith and belief based on evidence, since only a fool would presume them to be the same, and only a bigger fool would advertise his ignorance in that respect.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:and only a

Nordmann wrote:
and only a bigger fool would advertise his ignorance in that respect.

I wonder if he signed it.

That argument about theory and faith is just a tail chasing distraction. The terms have different uses depending on the context. The problem these MaGoos have is being able to keep them distinct. If it is convenient for them to blur the meanings of the words then that's what they'll do.

You'd think that a person would eventually have to stop and realize the level mental acrobatics they are performing to defend an idea. Sooner or later one would have to stop and say "odd that my idea doesn't stand on it's own merit and I have to keep ass fucking it to make it work"

Wishful thinking, I know.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
elizabethsuzette wrote:I

elizabethsuzette wrote:
I found this interesting, although I wasn't sure exactly what the message was. I came to the conclusion that it could be one of two things: 'Don't litter your mind with religion,' or 'Don't litter the religious contents of your mind everywhere, polluting the educational environment.' What do you think?

I always presumed this one was a protest against religion on a core level, not the appropriate application of religious ideas. I would never have actually made the mental leap to get to the other possibility. But then, I have burned quite a few brain cells in years past.

elizabethsuzette
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Sure, a theory is somewhat of a guess or conjecture. However, every theory is based on something. What makes a given theory worthwhile is what it happens to be based upon. So let me look at some theories and see where they take us:

I agree that there is a BIG difference between actual scientific theories and guess-or-conjecture theories. Just to clarify things, I wasn't meaning to suggest that creation theory and evolutionary theory (or Big Bang theory, etc.) were all on the same level - this is what the bulletin does, it lumps creation theory with evidence-backed scientific theory.

elizabethsuzette
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Quote:In the

Nordmann wrote:

Quote:

You could begin probably with asking them why they fail to distinguish between blind faith and belief based on evidence, since only a fool would presume them to be the same, and only a bigger fool would advertise his ignorance in that respect.

That sounds like a good start. I'm working on a reply right now. I hope that bulletin's still up there...

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
elizabethsuzette

elizabethsuzette wrote:

this is what the bulletin does, it lumps creation theory with evidence-backed scientific theory.

That's an old tactic along the lines of "teach the controversy". Television shows and newspapers like two-column-style debates, and our legal system is adversarial, so it's in the culture. Even when one position is completely unsupported by fact, and the other side is supported to the gills, the adversarial system makes both sides look equal in philosophical weight.

When that doesn't work, the more pathetic side will often resort to martyrdom or David-and-Goliath reframing, as though oppression has anything to do with rigorous inquiry. That's what makes debate on this topic so exasperating: people like Dinesh D'Souza are taken seriously, rather than like the clowns they are.

Welcome to the boards!

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

elizabethsuzette
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

elizabethsuzette wrote:

this is what the bulletin does, it lumps creation theory with evidence-backed scientific theory.

That's an old tactic along the lines of "teach the controversy". Television shows and newspapers like two-column-style debates, and our legal system is adversarial, so it's in the culture. Even when one position is completely unsupported by fact, and the other side is supported to the gills, the adversarial system makes both sides look equal in philosophical weight.

Yeah, "teach the controversy," of course. A watering-down of science and reason for the sake of peoples' feelings. Being "fair." But it's not being fair when two different ideas being assessed are not put under the same level (and same type, I suppose) of scrutiny. Because if that were the case, it would make creationists look even less intelligent. And that would be offensive.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: That's an old tactic

Quote:

When that doesn't work, the more pathetic side will often resort to martyrdom or David-and-Goliath reframing, as though oppression has anything to do with rigorous inquiry. That's what makes debate on this topic so exasperating: people like Dinesh D'Souza are taken seriously, rather than like the clowns they are.

The predictability of this sequence of events is both amusing and exasperating. Any purveyor of nonsense, especially those hacks of alternative medicine, will follow a highly predictable sequence of events.

To begin with, they shall propose something which is complete nonsense, in total violation of rigorously established principles and often resorting to vague and ultimately meaningless terminology or some component of the process involving some sort of magic, often literally, such as intelligent design, or people who claim to have violated the laws of thermodynamics by producing a device for continuously converting heat into work without any apparent cyclical process as required by the second law of thermodynamics:

The reason that the diagram is complete nonsense is because a heat engine that takes in heat energy and converts it into useful work must work in a cycle. If it didn't work in a cycle we wouldn't be able to extract useful work from the system beyond it's physical limits (for a piston, these conditions are the maximum expansion that the piston can perform), as a gas cannot expand forever. Clausius showed that any cyclical system cannot extract all of the heat energy from a thermal reservoir. It must eject heat energy into a cold reservoir. Because the gas must be reset to an initial system by having work done on the piston (usually by means of an isobaric compression followed by an isovolumetric increase in temperature). As a consequence, over time the heat engine will lose the ability to do work as the gradient of temperature between the reservoirs decreases. This is a very fundamental way to state the second law of thermodynamics (the Kelvin-Planck formation) which is equivalent to the Boltzmann formulation and the Clausius formulation. As there is no cyclical process in the diagram above, it appears to operate by some sort of magic, hence the term "magic heat engine".

After being backed into the corner by genuine learned professionals, they will offer a combination of defenses. To begin with they will offer the "David defense" and compare themselves to Pasteur, Copernicus, etc. claiming that they have discovered something so advanced and that they are being persecuted for it, are putting up a David v Goliath struggle against the scientific community.

This usually doesn't work. Thus, the next step is claiming that their detractors (i.e learned professionals with real expertise) are involved in some conspiracy or are in the pocket of someone who is, like the drug companies, or the oil companies, or are protecting their research grant etc. ad infinitum. I've heard them all before.

This works pretty well (with the aim of convincing dimly lit bulbs), but the coup de grace comes with the final move. In this, the hack attempts to completely outmanuever all criticism by appealing to postmodernism. There are three ways of doing this. The first is to claim that science is just one “way of knowing” and that their beliefs are just as valid as those gathered by rigorous scientific processes contradicting them. This appeals to aforementioned dim bulbs because it seems “fair” to “both sides” (two terms that are employed often by said hacks). The second (related) tactic is to admit that, while their claims have no rational basis, they don’t have to, since rational processes of discovering things about reality are just arbitrary anyway. The final tactic is to claim that their assertions are somehow special as they pertain to notions “beyond the realm of scientific investigation” which, in my eyes at least is tantamount to stating “completely meaningless from an epistemological standpoint”. What makes me very surprised that this tactic is successful is that this is so blatant a special pleading fallacy that I cannot fathom how it latches on.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod, predictably, has

deludedgod, predictably, has the most precise version of the story. It's funny ... now that I've had this type of debate several times (and each time it gets shorter, because I find myself filling in the other person's details for them), reading your summary is still enough to trigger the feelings of annoyance and impatience. If there were better arguments, I don't think I'd feel quite as annoyed.

deludedgod wrote:
but the coup de grace comes with the final move. In this, the hack attempts to completely outmanuever all criticism by appealing to postmodernism.

Oh, that one's my favourite. Fa-vour-it.

deludedgod wrote:
in my eyes at least is tantamount to stating “completely meaningless from an epistemological standpoint”

... in anyone's eyes who has had even the slightest amount of exposure to scientific thought. Even those without the philisophical education to articulate that idea know it's true because a scientist can just TEST to see if something's true.

Holy shit! It's like magic, guys! All I do is test to see if something's true or not!

Fucking ingrates.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence