It occurred to me that all I'd have to do to make it during this economic downturn,

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
It occurred to me that all I'd have to do to make it during this economic downturn,

is spout some untrue crappola about renouncing my atheism, start up a church and lie, lie, lie my way to success.  People would give me money they couldn't afford to support my ministry and any problems I had with family members would go away.

The only problem is I'm a terrible liar, but I bet I'd get better with practice.

Now, why won't I do this?  The answer in a nutshell: morality.  It's against my moral code to lie and steal people blind.  I couldn't live with myself.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
 And we shall call her

And we shall call her Pastor Marjo II!

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:It

Iruka Naminori wrote:
It occurred to me that all I'd have to do to make it during this economic downturn, is spout some untrue crappola about renouncing my atheism, start up a church and lie, lie, lie my way to success.  People would give me money they couldn't afford to support my ministry and any problems I had with family members would go away.

The only problem is I'm a terrible liar, but I bet I'd get better with practice.

Now, why won't I do this?  The answer in a nutshell: morality.  It's against my moral code to lie and steal people blind.  I couldn't live with myself.

That thought had occurred to me too. I wouldn't be able to do it though. Give it a couple years and maybe my opinion of people will be low enough that I can somehow rationalize taking their money.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I would not have

Well, I would not have a huge problem with lying about stuff if I were going to do this. After all, look at the people who are doing the religion game right now and then look at the people they are taking money from. Most of the disgraced ministers over the past 30 years or so came back and continued to rook people for their hard earned cash.

Then too, the people who give up that cash are just going to be taken by someone because they are so gullible. It could be me as well as anyone. However, a better reason not to do this is just because it is a wrong thing to do. It really doesn't help them to replace one fantasy with another.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm in sales myself, and I

I'm in sales myself, and I often view it as a battle of wills against those people I'm selling to.  They want to buy things below cost and I want to make a profit.

Of course, when I sell them something, it usually turns up by recorded delivery shortly afterwards at least!  Smiling