*URGENT* Please help fight the Religious Right's assault on Human Rights

DUBsays
User is offlineOffline
*URGENT* Please help fight the Religious Right's assault on Human Rights

The Holiday Inn in Worthington, Ohio has been inundated with protests from far right hate groups due to an event they have scheduled this weekend, mostly prompted by a far-right, Christian hate group called Americans For Truth About Homosexuality. I am asking that all open-minded individuals with a concern for equality and human and civil rights please take a moment of their time to call the Intercontinental Hotels Group Corporate Customer Service line at 800-621-0555, then press option 1, then option 5, and thank them for upholding the Fair Accommodations Act, choosing not to discriminate against legal events, and for being willing to face minor adversity for the sake of freedom. The voices of hate have been very active and organized. They have placed hundreds of calls. Possibly thousands. It's imperative that some balance is introduced and the voice of reason and tolerance heard. This is why we need phone calls expressing support. People need to take FIVE MINUTES out of their day and call Holiday Inn's Guest Relations Line at 800-621-0555, option 1, option 5, and tell them they support the Holiday Inn in Worthington, Ohio's choice to uphold the Legal Accommodations Act and resist discrimination and intolerance. Please re-post this and distribute freely. Thank you very much.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure some of us here

I'm sure some of us here would love to help.  I for one, however, would like to know what exactly the event being held at this particular Holiday Inn is?  Can you also tell us why it is being so heavily protested?

Oh, nevermind.  I found the site here and on their front page is the particular issue at their website.  Sorry to give their site hits, but heck!

Americans for Truth

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Thomathy wrote:I'm sure some

Thomathy wrote:

I'm sure some of us here would love to help.  I for one, however, would like to know what exactly the event being held at this particular Holiday Inn is?  Can you also tell us why it is being so heavily protested?

Oh, nevermind.  I found the site here and on their front page is the particular issue at their website.  Sorry to give their site hits, but heck!

Americans for Truth

Well, isn't obvious? They agree to hold pedophilic gay orgies, since we all know that pedophila an homosexuality go hand and hand. That and Marie Osmond is an atheist.

But, in all seriousness I do get it. If one is going to be asked to help out on something, it is nice to know the details as to what you are getting involved in.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry DUBsays, but the right

Sorry DUBsays, but the right to assembly shall not be infringed. Even despicable groups such as neo-NAZIs, the KKK and Focus on the Family get a right to assembly. Unless their is clear and present danger I think that these bigots should be allowed to meet. We are too small and unpopular of a minority to allow infringments on the right to assembly. If we are able to infringe on their right to assembly, then larger and more popular relgious groups could infringe on ours.

That Holiday Inn wants money for use of their conference rooms, and a group of bigots wants a conference. We need not get involved.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:That

Jormungander wrote:
That Holiday Inn wants money for use of their conference rooms, and a group of bigots wants a conference. We need not get involved.

Actually, you have that one backwards. Before anyone else posted in this thread I had already fully googled the matter. What is going on is that a group of people who are into kinky sex are hosting a convention and the hotel in question in the host.

Now the theists in town have their proverbial panties in a bunch and they are trying to get it shut down by running a phone call campaign. Sadly, the whole idea is useless.

The theists are asking the hotel to break a contract with an organization that they have dealt with for a few years now. The event was last weekend (if I am reading the web site right). End of story.

The thread starter is probably not a group member or he would know that the event is over. He would also know that this is the last year that it will be at this hotel. The event has grown to be too large for the venue and next year it will be in a larger hotel.

Against that, the theists probably did not read the event web site or they would have known as much.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
I see now. I misread the

I see now. I misread the opening post. I really did have it exactly backwards. People were calling to try and block gays and/or swingers or something from using the hotel. The purpose of the advocated calls is to try and stop the hotel from thinking that this shouldn't be allowed.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

DUBsays
User is offlineOffline
Actually, I am an employee

Actually, I am an employee of the hotel and neither homosexual nor a participant of the event. Long story short: A very-well regulated group of consenting adults wishes to gather. Another group of far-right religious nutcases has an issue. This is nothing more than another case of xian nutjobs pushing their agenda—and they're winning. This is about respecting human rights and not allowing the religious right to have their feelings of superiority reinforced. The employees have taken relentless abuse in the form of thousands of vitriolic, hate-spewing phone calls. This has been the focus of numerous xian radio stations and, as of last night, made the news (even Fox was there). And all it's doing is making the fundies more confident. IHG, the corporation that owns the Holiday Inn name is expressing concern over the issue, and it's not on the side of tolerance. It is solely focused on the bottom line, and they gauge their dollar on customer input, which is overwhelmingly negative. Now, this group of fundies is national. They are already bragging about the effectiveness of their boycotting. How many times do they have to push their agenda successfully before people start to get nervous? I suppose if it was fundies boycotting an atheist convention, the apathy would decrease? What if they were boycotting black and white folk eating in the same restaurant and sleeping in the same rooms? You all would leave it up to the immediate participants? Oh, you'd let the law handle that. Well, the law hasn't exactly curbed xian privilege in this nation, has it? It's just five minutes of time to stand up for what's right and tell the nutcase fundies that they can't bully people around.

Think free.

DUBsays
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

The theists are asking the hotel to break a contract with an organization that they have dealt with for a few years now. The event was last weekend (if I am reading the web site right). End of story.

The thread starter is probably not a group member or he would know that the event is over. He would also know that this is the last year that it will be at this hotel. The event has grown to be too large for the venue and next year it will be in a larger hotel.

Against that, the theists probably did not read the event web site or they would have known as much.

It would appear you've gotten a hold of the wrong information.

This is the first time the event organization has ever had a relationship with the hotel in question.

The event started FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2009 and ends MONDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2009.

It is still occurring, fundies are still protesting, and hundreds of calls in opposition are still being made. And they're winning.

Think free.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, honestly, I don't

Well, honestly, I don't care what you do in bed, with what or to whom. I dare say that nobody else does either.

As far as the information about the location goes, I got that from the event web site. Looking at it again, yah, I was wrong to assume that they had been to your place in the past. What it really said was that next year they will be in a new venue as the group is growing fast enough that your place will not be large enough. Sorry for the assumption.

Anyway, they will be out of your hair tomorrow and off to bigger and better things. I am happy for them on that account. What you are asking us is more than to get a bit of relief from your current situation. It also plays out on a larger stage. Follow me on this:

Since they are going to need a new place next year, where will that place be? If the theists can make enough of an impression on your corporate bosses, then the possibility of a larger hotel in the same chain will be minimal. Even though the offices are probably closed until Monday morning, I will make the call that you are asking for then. It will be too late to help you but it will not be soon enough to help the perverts.

And I mean that in a nice way. Some of by best friends are perverts. I however, am not a pervert because whatever I choose to do is natural to me. Go figure.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=