JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
LOL! i love this man!I like

LOL! i love this man!

I like multiculturalism, but not at the expense of our freedom of speech.  I think the entire western world, not just Europe is hanging their heads right now. We will have to watch and see what happens. It's sad if that figure that he said really is right.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are atheists watching this.

Are atheists watching this. This is what I have been saying all along, "Blasphemy laws are the first sign of tyrany" Lord Acton.

His objection should not be toward's mutitculturalism or all of Islam's followers for that matter. His objections are right but his word usage is misplaced.

He is focused on one religion when attempts at censorship have been made by Christians in Europe as well when people have blasphemed Jesus. An Italian artist was arrested for dipicting Jesus on a surfboard. The french government forced a clothing company to take down an add that parodied the last supper.

The problem is not multiculturalism, the problem is protecting free speech and common law.

He is absolutly correct in blasting protectionists laws, but aiming it solely at Islam misses the point that all religions before the age of enlighetment used government to institutionalize blasphemy laws.

Thomas Jefferson, in the Virgina State Legistlature mannenged to convince the state congress to get rid of their own Blasphemy laws, which useually were punishable by death. This was not Islam doing this, this was Christianity.

I think it is a mistake, while rightfully blasting Islam's being stuck in it's own dark ages.

But, here in America we have our own movement toward protectionism and use words like "hate crime".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog