I say, did any of you chaps...

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I say, did any of you chaps...

Make it out to see the motivational speaker in Washington on Tuesday? He was, I'm sure, very inspirational to the mediocre masses. I made the trek with a few friends, staying at a relative's place in Virginia. While my traveling companions became trapped in what is now commonly referred to as the "Purple Tunnel of Doom," I was fortuitous enough to have obtained, through no admitted merit of my own, a silver ticket, and was thus able to gain entry to the small frozen pond in front of where the man was speaking. His name was Barry Something-Or-Other, and I must say, he spoke with all the passion of a man in the throes of anal intercourse. Very compelling, indeed.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I say, welcome back!No,

I say, welcome back!

No, can't say I've ever found myself, uh ... motivated ... to go and see a motivational speaker.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
He's talking about the

He's talking about the inaugeration, Will. Sticking out tongue

Hey, LosingStreak: Go fuck yourself.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:He's

Kevin R Brown wrote:
He's talking about the inaugeration, Will. :P

LosingStreak and I have played the irony game before.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Hey, LosingStreak: Go fuck yourself.

Whence comes this newfound rage, Kev? Did you get into a thing with LosingStreak before?

Need I remind you that he worships a smoothie? C'mon, that's awesome.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Whence comes this

Quote:

Whence comes this newfound rage, Kev? Did you get into a thing with LosingStreak before?

Obama has been President of the united States for under a week, and frankly has been doing a fantastic job in that short span of time. I'm very tired of hearing theistic bigots waxing on about what a 'phony' he is and how 'he won't change anything!', almost to the point of paranoid denial, because they really just can't the idea that maybe they're going to have to grow-up one day.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Obama

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Obama has been President of the united States for under a week, and frankly has been doing a fantastic job in that short span of time. I'm very tired of hearing theistic bigots waxing on about what a 'phony' he is and how 'he won't change anything!', almost to the point of paranoid denial, because they really just can't the idea that maybe they're going to have to grow-up one day.

As P.Z. Myers has pointed out, President Obama (I like saying that) has been doing a great job, but it's been pretty easy; he's mostly been undoing (and pre-empting) some of the damage done by this last President.

Can I say that again? President Obama. Oh! And another thing I like saying: former President Bush.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Laughing_Man_d8D
Gold Member
Laughing_Man_d8D's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

So you are going to generalize and say that everyone who thinks that Obama is an empty suit is a 'theistic bigot...'?(I think he's as phony as your everyday politician) I don't invest emotions into any public offical (no matter how charasimatic they are, the more charismatic the more dangerous), they are always subject to criticism from all angles. Sometimes it is justified and sometimes it isn't. It hasn't been a week and any decision he makes now won't have it's affects be felt for months or more from now. I'd recomend you save yourself some stress and not invest emotions in public officals, otherwise every political shot took at them will also hit you.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Laughing_Man_d8D wrote:Kevin

Laughing_Man_d8D wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

So you are going to generalize and say that everyone who thinks that Obama is an empty suit is a 'theistic bigot...'?(I think he's as phony as your everyday politician) I don't invest emotions into any public offical (no matter how charasimatic they are, the more charismatic the more dangerous), they are always subject to criticism from all angles. Sometimes it is justified and sometimes it isn't. It hasn't been a week and any decision he makes now won't have it's affects be felt for months or more from now. I'd recomend you save yourself some stress and not invest emotions in public officals, otherwise every political shot took at them will also hit you.

You mean in the way that you just generalized all politicians as "empty suits" snd "phony"?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:So you are going to

Quote:

The 'phony suit' has shut-down Gitmo, as well as every other illicit interrogation center operated by the CIA. This strikes me as a rather good start. I don't imagine that the Obama administration will be error-free, given it's human operators, but I do remains cautiously optimistic about it.

The arguments of fakery aren't even actually arguments. Have you noticed that? They're bald claims based on nihilism, anarchy or bigotry. None of these things are healthy, and the last one is outright dangerous, which is why I highlighted it in particular.

If you happen to be anarchist or nihilist, and you resent being lumped-in with bigots, my bad I guess.

EDIT: Oh, or Republicans / Conservatives, who just offer the non-argument on the basis that they're politically obligated to.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Laughing_Man_d8D
Gold Member
User is offlineOffline
Yes, I did generalize

Yes, I did generalize politicians, name one honest politician that has never lied about, scewed, spun, or clouded up an issue. I tend to treat all politicians with mistrust for the simple fact that they look out for themselves first, if they don't get re-elected, they don't ride the gravy train. They talk about service to us, but that's not until they have helped themelves first.

EDIT: Gitmo isn't close yet, he still has time to change his mind, or set it up else where. Don't get me wrong, I have yet to see anything that Obama has done to get me to trust him, it's not like I'm not giving him a chance, I'm just hoping he prooves my generalizations on politicians wrong.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Laughing_Man_d8D wrote:Yes,

Laughing_Man_d8D wrote:

Yes, I did generalize politicians, name one honest politician that has never lied about, scewed, spun, or clouded up an issue. I tend to treat all politicians with mistrust for the simple fact that they look out for themselves first, if they don't get re-elected, they don't ride the gravy train. They talk about service to us, but that's not until they have helped themelves first.

While I'd agree with you in general, there are politicians who do more good than harm, and in fact attempt to do more good than harm. I'd even go as far as to say the majority of politicians start out intending to do good. I doubt you could name a single person who has never lied about, screwed, spun, or clouded an issue, so to expect a politician to be guilt-free is a bit unfair.

I will give you one politician who was, in general, very honest and open and attempted to do good (succeeding for a good portion): Tony Knowles, former Governor of Alaska.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Laughing_Man_d8D wrote:EDIT:

Laughing_Man_d8D wrote:

EDIT: Gitmo isn't close yet, he still has time to change his mind, or set it up else where. Don't get me wrong, I have yet to see anything that Obama has done to get me to trust him, it's not like I'm not giving him a chance, I'm just hoping he prooves my generalizations on politicians wrong.

As for this: he's already made some disappointing decisions, as well, such as supporting the Bush administration in the whole warrantless wiretapping cases. Ugh.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote:His

LosingStreak06 wrote:

His name was Barry Something-Or-Other, and I must say, he spoke with all the passion of a man in the throes of anal intercourse. Very compelling, indeed.

Ah, but he can speak, which alone makes him more qualified than the last fellow who held the job.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Laughing_Man_d8D
Gold Member
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold

nigelTheBold wrote:

Laughing_Man_d8D wrote:

While I'd agree with you in general, there are politicians who do more good than harm, and in fact attempt to do more good than harm. I'd even go as far as to say the majority of politicians start out intending to do good. I doubt you could name a single person who has never lied about, screwed, spun, or clouded an issue, so to expect a politician to be guilt-free is a bit unfair.

I will give you one politician who was, in general, very honest and open and attempted to do good (succeeding for a good portion): Tony Knowles, former Governor of Alaska.

I'm very cautious of those with the power (or the potential power) to remove my or others freedoms. I guess it's too much to ask for a politician to be objective about the tasks he has to perform in office(I'm willing to give people chances to do something, how else will he be able to earn trust or respect). True alot of politicians always have the best intentions, but too many times they fall prey to the mentality of the mob in order to stay alive politically. The last politician I gave a benefit of the doubt and out right trusted was the "Governator", and now you see where Californian is going, I'm glad I left 3 years ago.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Laughing_Man_d8D wrote:Yes,

Laughing_Man_d8D wrote:

What level of government?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Although I didn't vote

Although I didn't vote for Obama I wish him the best.  As he is now El Presidente *our ( ie, *American citizens )  collective fate is in his hands.  To a certain extent we all sink or swim based upon his choices.  I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best....

( edit:  I didn't vote for McCain either, I don't trust that old, shriveled up con-artist. )

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
LosingStreak06 wrote: Make

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Make it out to see the motivational speaker in Washington on Tuesday? He was, I'm sure, very inspirational to the mediocre masses. I made the trek with a few friends, staying at a relative's place in Virginia. While my traveling companions became trapped in what is now commonly referred to as the "Purple Tunnel of Doom," I was fortuitous enough to have obtained, through no admitted merit of my own, a silver ticket, and was thus able to gain entry to the small frozen pond in front of where the man was speaking. His name was Barry Something-Or-Other, and I must say, he spoke with all the passion of a man in the throes of anal intercourse. Very compelling, indeed.

Does it piss you off that someone other than a right wing thumper is our President? I guess just as much as it would piss off a Muslim if Iran ellected a Christian prime minister.

If you want to judge Obama on his preformance, that is one thing. But since your Jesus cheerleader fucked everything up pretty good, Obama has no choice but to set the bar low.

Maybe our country should ellect people, not based on whether they want to have a beer with them, or what is between their legs, or what their political party is, but preformance.

Bush ran businesses daddy baught him into the ground before he was even govorner of Texas, but because he acted like a street hooker peddling salvation, people ignored that, and the past 8 years are evidence as to why actions, not lip service, are what matters.

But, just to lay your fears to rest, the left does this crap too and BOTH parties have been acting like gangs since republicans got bitter about Nixon.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I say! It appears that

Well, I say! It appears that I've struck the proverbial nerve with some of these denizens of the nethernet. My compliments to Will for being the only sensible fellow here, if the responses given are any indicator of the ability to reason. As for the rest of you, might I recommend some cherry-flavored chapstick for your evidently sore bums? One would think you had been on the losing end of a presidential election from your defensiveness. I suppose, though, that some people will merely never achieve concrete satisfaction. Piteous, vile wretches all, might I interest you in some anti-depressants? I'm given to understand that they taste of sugarplums and gumdrops!

As for our dear Mr. Brown, your request will be put into queue; I've got to let your mother have a go first.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Obama

Kevin R Brown wrote:

and here I thought Kevin was just jealous that Losing Streak had tickets.  You know, I had tickets too... in front of the reflecting pool.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
LosingStreak06 wrote:Well, I

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Well, I say! It appears that I've struck the proverbial nerve with some of these denizens of the nethernet. My compliments to Will for being the only sensible fellow here, if the responses given are any indicator of the ability to reason. As for the rest of you, might I recommend some cherry-flavored chapstick for your evidently sore bums? One would think you had been on the losing end of a presidential election from your defensiveness. I suppose, though, that some people will merely never achieve concrete satisfaction. Piteous, vile wretches all, might I interest you in some anti-depressants? I'm given to understand that they taste of sugarplums and gumdrops!

As for our dear Mr. Brown, your request will be put into queue; I've got to let your mother have a go first.

We are defensive and I have no shame or qualms about it. But do not equate our defensiveness to the same tribalistic club mentality that Muslims and Jews have unjustly inflicted on each other for centuries.

We are just the bystandars looking at myth lovers saying, "Hey, if you guys want to fight over whether Captian Kirk is real vs Luke Skywaker, dont get pissed at us for pointing out that those are mere actors".

"What ever floats your boat" unless your petty tribalistic beefs threaten the only planet I live on. Excuse me for wanting to breath.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:LosingStreak06

Brian37 wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

We are defensive and I have no shame or qualms about it. But do not equate our defensiveness to the same tribalistic club mentality that Muslims and Jews have unjustly inflicted on each other for centuries.

We are just the bystandars looking at myth lovers saying, "Hey, if you guys want to fight over whether Captian Kirk is real vs Luke Skywaker, dont get pissed at us for pointing out that those are mere actors".

"What ever floats your boat" unless your petty tribalistic beefs threaten the only planet I live on. Excuse me for wanting to breath.

What quackery is this? Perchance, have you actually read anything I've written at all? Or are you merely incapable of anything other than regurgitating pre-prescribed rhetoric like some encephylopathic adolescent?

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:Kevin R

shelleymtjoy wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

and here I thought Kevin was just jealous that Losing Streak had tickets.  You know, I had tickets too... in front of the reflecting pool.

My dearest Shelley! It has been far too long. How was your trip to the capitol? I trust you made it to see the ceremonies with little trouble? My comrades were not so fortunate, and missed the whole thing, as it were.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote:Well, I

LosingStreak06 wrote:

And you, dear boy, completely glossed over my question to you. Afraid I might have an answer?

— George Carlin

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

And you, dear boy, completely glossed over my question to you. Afraid I might have an answer?

I'm afraid that I still don't see any such interrogatory remarks aimed at yours truly. Care to elaborate?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
LosingStreak06 wrote:Brian37

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

What quackery is this? Perchance, have you actually read anything I've written at all? Or are you merely incapable of anything other than regurgitating pre-prescribed rhetoric like some encephylopathic adolescent?

You and Christopher Hitchens have one thing in common. Lack of understanding of the demographic of the audiance you are speaking to. Dumb it down for me because I am still stuck on "Where's Waldo".

He is an atheist and you are a believer but both of you still try to call a janitor a "sanitary engineer".

Understanding to me is more important than a dick measuring contest based upon the amount of letters you string together.

You called everyone in this thread, with the exception of one, "reasonable".

If our wires are crossed, I will readly admit that. But, the amount of sylibles you pontificate will impress me as much as taking a dump.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:LosingStreak06

Brian37 wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

You and Christopher Hitchens have one thing in common. Lack of understanding of the demographic of the audiance you are speaking to. Dumb it down for me because I am still stuck on "Where's Waldo".

He is an atheist and you are a believer but both of you still try to call a janitor a "sanitary engineer".

Understanding to me is more important than a dick mesuring contest based upon the amout of letters you string together.

You called everyone in this thread, with the eception of one, "reasonable".

If our wires are crossed, I will readly admit that. But, the amount of sylibles you pontificate will impress me as much as taking a dump.

Once again, my cherished and nigh-divine reveries fall indecipherable upon the uncultured ears of the detestable plebeian ruck. Fates, how I must have offended you!

Ever the whinging philistine you still prove, eh, Brian? Fine, I shall concede to your demands.

*ahem*There are, absolutely and assuredly, NO religious or religion-oriented sentiments expressed on my part in this topic. It is what it is: a topic asking who actually made it out to see the inauguration. It was, however, ruined by oversensitive morons overreacting to thinly-veiled sarcastic insults towards the new president.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Understanding to me is more important than a dick mesuring contest based upon the amout of letters you string together.

You called everyone in this thread, with the eception of one, "reasonable".

Once again, my cherished and nigh-divine reveries fall indecipherable upon the uncultured ears of the detestable plebeian ruck. Fates, how I must have offended you!

Ever the whinging philistine you still prove, eh, Brian? Fine, I shall concede to your demands.

*ahem*There are, absolutely and assuredly, NO religious or religion-oriented sentiments expressed on my part in this topic. It is what it is: a topic asking who actually made it out to see the inauguration. It was, however, ruined by oversensitive morons overreacting to thinly-veiled sarcastic insults towards the new president.

As a fan of South Park, a cartoon which depicted atheist Richard Dawkins fucking a transexual, if thus you esspose was an attempt at humor, maybe some tweaking on such delivery would be a priority. Maybe when you feel like friendly scarcasm, an emotocon might be in order.

I can tell some jokes to my friends but would get my ass rightully obliterated if I muttered the same to complete strangers.

Work on your delivery.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:As a fan of

Brian37 wrote:

As a fan of South Park, a cartoon which depicted atheist Richard Dawkins fucking a transexual, if thus you esspose was an attempt at humor, maybe some tweaking on such delivery would be a priority. Maybe when you feel like friendly scarcasm, an emotocon might be in order.

I can tell some jokes to my friends but would get my ass rightully obliterated if I muttered the same to complete strangers.

Work on your delivery.

My apologies if you were under the impression that I seek to humor anyone other than myself.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Work on your delivery.

My apologies if you were under the impression that I seek to humor anyone other than myself.

That is like whipping out your shlong at a swingers club then jacking off in the bathroom stall where no one can see it. If you are doing it for yourself, why would you ask for witness?

You wipped out your humor in a thread where others can see it. I could care less if you are doing it for yourself or not. I do care that if you ment no harm that your delivery sucked.

I'd suggest you get out of the cold water before your humor suffers more shrinkage, not that it was impressive in the first place.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
 As I'm reading this

As I'm reading this thread, only one question burns in my mind:

Why is losingstreak talking like a ponce? Is he doing it purposely, or is he doing it ironically? If he's doing it ironically, what's the point? Is there one? Or is it just masturbatory?

I say, dear sirs, that such pompousness and pseudo-shakespearian ostentation is so oft unbearable to the ear, despite our intention only to jest, that perchance it is better to rid ourselves of such shamelessly affected speech, lest we make ourselves out as charlatans compensating for something.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote:As for

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Maybe you guys don't remember LosingStreak, because you seem to be taking this all without the prerequisite grain of salt. No need to get heavy when the mom jokes come out - it's a good hint that we're in a locker room. Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled filth.

Dear boy, I hope we can come to some resolution of this mess. You mustn't take my earlier ravaging of your mother out on Kevin. I know that she made quite a lot of noise, and it woke you and your basement-apartment bovine date up in the middle of your inept fumblings. I regret that, but she's an insatiable tart, your mum. Kept begging for the most undignified things. Had to smack her around a bit with my weighty python, as it was the only way to make her behave. Next time I'll try to keep the noise down, if you promise to take the bell off of your girlfriend's neck.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote: As I'm

Archeopteryx wrote:

Why is losingstreak talking like a ponce? Is he doing it purposely, or is he doing it ironically? If he's doing it ironically, what's the point? Is there one? Or is it just masturbatory?

I say, dear sirs, that such pompousness and pseudo-shakespearian ostentation is so oft unbearable to the ear, despite our intention only to jest, that perchance it is better to rid ourselves of such shamelessly affected speech, lest we make ourselves out as charlatans compensating for something.

Why, I wonder, is everything reduced to the sexual with you cretins? Your fixation upon it suggests to yours truly that perhaps you are all in need of some release; that is to say, a release of the more carnal nature. Rest assured, I can attest that I am no uncultured mountebank, and any lass I've saddled can affirm that I need not compensate for anything. Now, if you please, take your "pseudo-shakespearian" diatribe and be gone! I have neither the inclination nor the time to waste in an effort as futile as elucidating the impetus behind my rather erudite linguality to such banal and contemptibly fatuous simpletons.

As has been mentioned prior, I am come to bandy tales of adventure in fair Washington (where we did indeed lay our scene - hmmph!).

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Maybe you guys don't remember LosingStreak, because you seem to be taking this all without the prerequisite grain of salt. No need to get heavy when the mom jokes come out - it's a good hint that we're in a locker room. Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled filth.

Dear boy, I hope we can come to some resolution of this mess. You mustn't take my earlier ravaging of your mother out on Kevin. I know that she made quite a lot of noise, and it woke you and your basement-apartment bovine date up in the middle of your inept fumblings. I regret that, but she's an insatiable tart, your mum. Kept begging for the most undignified things. Had to smack her around a bit with my weighty python, as it was the only way to make her behave. Next time I'll try to keep the noise down, if you promise to take the bell off of your girlfriend's neck.

Sir, if you knew my mother, you wouldn't jest so about your sexual conquests. She may be a syphilitic harlot, indeed, but she's also corpulent to the point of physical handicap. Had I known that you had an appetite for old whales, I would have gladly pointed you in the direction of the nearest Dress Barn! As for your "weighty python," I'm given to understand that it is less "wyrm" than "worm," so to speak. Nothing a good pair of strapping vinyl pants cannot cure, I'm sure. Indeed, fewer things can stir the spirit more than a close encounter of the CH2:CHCl kind.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whilst I will not engage in

Whilst I will not engage in the sophomoric usage of cows, mothers, or mothers that are cows, I will bring down the sesquipidalian hammer of a vocabulary that will make all of your mothers weep if you're not careful.

Were the words of the President not enough to motivate you?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote:Sir, if

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Sir, if you knew my mother, you wouldn't jest so about your sexual conquests. She may be a syphilitic harlot, indeed, but she's also corpulent to the point of physical handicap. Had I known that you had an appetite for old whales, I would have gladly pointed you in the direction of the nearest Dress Barn! As for your "weighty python," I'm given to understand that it is less "wyrm" than "worm," so to speak. Nothing a good pair of strapping vinyl pants cannot cure, I'm sure. Indeed, fewer things can stir the spirit more than a close encounter of the CH2:CHCl kind.

Hehe. Awesome.

So what's up? What prompted this sudden return to taunting the non-believers?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

I'm afraid that I still don't see any such interrogatory remarks aimed at yours truly. Care to elaborate?

You claimed all politicians were phonies and empty suits and that no one could name one that wasn't. I asked you what level of government did such a politician have to operate in to be an adequate counter-example.

Your turn.

— George Carlin

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote:My

LosingStreak06 wrote:

My dearest Shelley! It has been far too long. How was your trip to the capitol? I trust you made it to see the ceremonies with little trouble? My comrades were not so fortunate, and missed the whole thing, as it were.

Two hours in the subway and three hours in line for security.  However we made it in.  The crowd was agressive and would not let us make it through to the wheelchair platform so I saw nothing.  I did however hear every word and can officially say "I was there" so as far as I'm concerned it worked out well.  Also caught the end of the parade and the official Western Ball.

How was your trip?

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Archeopteryx wrote:

Why, I wonder, is everything reduced to the sexual with you cretins? Your fixation upon it suggests to yours truly that perhaps you are all in need of some release; that is to say, a release of the more carnal nature. Rest assured, I can attest that I am no uncultured mountebank, and any lass I've saddled can affirm that I need not compensate for anything. Now, if you please, take your "pseudo-shakespearian" diatribe and be gone! I have neither the inclination nor the time to waste in an effort as futile as elucidating the impetus behind my rather erudite linguality to such banal and contemptibly fatuous simpletons.

As has been mentioned prior, I am come to bandy tales of adventure in fair Washington (where we did indeed lay our scene - hmmph!).

I'll take that as "it's masturbatory".

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote: I'll

Archeopteryx wrote:

I'm certain that isn't all you'd like to take, you conative minx.

shelleymtjoy wrote:

Two hours in the subway and three hours in line for security.  However we made it in.  The crowd was agressive and would not let us make it through to the wheelchair platform so I saw nothing.  I did however hear every word and can officially say "I was there" so as far as I'm concerned it worked out well.  Also caught the end of the parade and the official Western Ball.

How was your trip?

I am ever so pained to hear that you were not properly accomodated. My trip was similar, but with opposite results - I spent nearly two hours on the metro (where the crowd getting off was embolstered by chanting with a female employee who encouraged us to "Keep it moving!&quotEye-wink, and then spent two hours traversing the landscape in order to get to my gate. It only took about an hour to gain access into my section once I found the correct gate, and I positioned myself in a spot where I could espy the ever-elusive presidentus electus and witness his metamorphisis with little visual interference. I soon discovered, much to my dismay, that the particular accomodation I had so carefully selected was not faced by any speakers, and so I had a much more difficult time hearing the proceedings.

jcgadfly wrote:

You claimed all politicians were phonies and empty suits and that no one could name one that wasn't. I asked you what level of government did such a politician have to operate in to be an adequate counter-example.

Your turn.

You must have me mistaken, sir. I've not boasted such.

HisWillness wrote:

Hehe. Awesome.

Why, it was my very misadventure to the Capitol, in fact! I came across more than a few fellows preaching in the streets during the days of the event. It made me curious as to whether there was equal representation for the other side of the coin in that regard.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Archeopteryx wrote:

I'm certain that isn't all you'd like to take, you conative minx.

shelleymtjoy wrote:

How was your trip?

I am ever so pained to hear that you were not properly accomodated. My trip was similar, but with opposite results - I spent nearly two hours on the metro (where the crowd getting off was embolstered by chanting with a female employee who encouraged us to "Keep it moving!&quotEye-wink, and then spent two hours traversing the landscape in order to get to my gate. It only took about an hour to gain access into my section once I found the correct gate, and I positioned myself in a spot where I could espy the ever-elusive presidentus electus and witness his metamorphisis with little visual interference. I soon discovered, much to my dismay, that the particular accomodation I had so carefully selected was not faced by any speakers, and so I had a much more difficult time hearing the proceedings.

jcgadfly wrote:

Your turn.

You must have me mistaken, sir. I've not boasted such.

HisWillness wrote:

Hehe. Awesome.

Why, it was my very misadventure to the Capitol, in fact! I came across more than a few fellows preaching in the streets during the days of the event. It made me curious as to whether there was equal representation for the other side of the coin in that regard.

My most humble apologies - I confused you with another poster here.

— George Carlin

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Hehe. Awesome.

Ah. The expression "herding cats" comes to mind with our lot. As much as I'd like to see it, there aren't that many atheist preachers.

I'm not sure if Dawkins or PZ Meyers count, considering their message is more like, "stop all this nonsense" than "HEED MAH WOOOOORRRDDS!" Street preachers have a dramatic flair that seems unavailable to the (unironic) atheist.

Did any of the preachers drive you towards worshipping anything but The Smoothie? I don't wish to sound sentimental, but I would be disappointed if that were the case.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Archeopteryx wrote: As I'm

Archeopteryx wrote:

Thou, towit, hensforth, fortnight, blah blah blah blah blah

Those words are like calling a skunk "emoter of pundgent aroma"

My mom once called a footstool an "ottoman". I did not know what she was talking about, I was young at the time.

I asked what that was and she said it was a footstool.

I responded, "Pardon me, my name is not Biff. I do not date somebody named Muffy and I don't go to Harvard".

I am all for education, don't get me wrong. But, in the process of getting humanity beyond "Where's Waldo", we don't always have to use words with letters longer than an entire dictionary.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: I am all for

Brian37 wrote:

I am all for education, don't get me wrong. But, in the process of getting humanity beyond "Where's Waldo", we don't always have to use words with letters longer than an entire dictionary.

My point exactly. It's possible to be a bad communicator in both directions: trying to say too much with too little, and trying to say too little with too much. I'm taking issue with the latter, and also with the use of pompous, antique language. It bothers me when I see/hear that sort of thing. Granted, he's probably doing it ironically (I hope), but even when done ironically, that kind of thing still has a sort of showiness to it that I have a hard time condoning. But that's just me. I realize other people won't necessarily give a shit, and that's cool.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote:Brian37

Archeopteryx wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

My point exactly. It's possible to be a bad communicator in both directions: trying to say too much with too little, and trying to say too little with too much. I'm taking issue with the latter, and also with the use of pompous, antique language. It bothers me when I see/hear that sort of thing. Granted, he's probably doing it ironically (I hope), but even when done ironically, that kind of thing still has a sort of showiness to it that I have a hard time condoning. But that's just me. I realize other people won't necessarily give a shit, and that's cool.

Reworded for clarity:

You have illustrated the crux of my argumentation, Brian37. Given the possible permutations of ways in which miscommunication occurs via either the misinterpretation of verbiage or the utter lack of simplistic conveyance, it is without doubt that moderation of vocabulary usage is sorely lacking in our present internet society. The seemingly sardonic way in which LosingStreak uses archaic terminology to express each opinion belies apparent feelings of insecurity, nay even linguistic ineptitude. I find it reprehensible that under the guise of pretentiousness, LosingSteak maintains an innocuous tone throughout the accusations directed at him. I do realize that perhaps my objections will only fall upon apathetic ears. I find this fact effectively causes my own indifference and I remain comfortably in temperature-controlled bliss.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
And suddenly everyone is

And suddenly everyone is talking like the love child of H.P. Lovecraft and a guest economist from the McNeil/Lehrer Report.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Desdenova wrote:And suddenly

Desdenova wrote:

And suddenly everyone is talking like the love child of H.P. Lovecraft and a guest economist from the McNeil/Lehrer Report.

Wait a minute! THAT'S where I saw Obama's name! Let me get that copy of the Necronomicon I found in a used bookstore in Rhode Island. I think it was the one with the fake title "Qanoon-e-Islam."

Let me see......that not dead which eternally lies....Hastur the unseen.....sex with a Mi-Go....anti-fungal spells for after havig sex with a Mi-Go.....

Yes! Page 1256! The man Obama will usher in.........oh dear.

So, uh, anyone know of a friendly Old One who still has functioning aether wings?

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
thatonedude wrote:So, uh,

thatonedude wrote:

So, uh, anyone know of a friendly Old One who still has functioning aether wings?

I've...ummm...I've never heard those words uttered together before.

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Desdenova wrote:thatonedude

Desdenova wrote:

thatonedude wrote:

I've...ummm...I've never heard those words uttered together before.

I was referring to an "Elder Thing" actually. The Necronomicon is distressingly vague sometimes. The bit on shoggoths, for example, led to a very awkward summoning party. It turns out that we misread the virgin part. Poor Peter Shakely. He kept screaming that he was not a virgin. He was certainly telling the truth afterwards. The Whisperer in Darkness is actually quite amorous.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
Note to self. Keep virgins,

Note to self. Keep virgins, my copy of Unassprechlichen Kulten, and anything with right angles away from thatonedude.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
darth_josh

darth_josh wrote:

Archeopteryx wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Reworded for clarity:

You have illustrated the crux of my argumentation, Brian37. Given the possible permutations of ways in which miscommunication occurs via either the misinterpretation of verbiage or the utter lack of simplistic conveyance, it is without doubt that moderation of vocabulary usage is sorely lacking in our present internet society. The seemingly sardonic way in which LosingStreak uses archaic terminology to express each opinion belies apparent feelings of insecurity, nay even linguistic ineptitude. I find it reprehensible that under the guise of pretentiousness, LosingSteak maintains an innocuous tone throughout the accusations directed at him. I do realize that perhaps my objections will only fall upon apathetic ears. I find this fact effectively causes my own indifference and I remain comfortably in temperature-controlled bliss.

Your linquistic masterbation is beyond reproach. It should merit the acolades of Rodes scholors, in conjunction with the juxtoposition of a rapsberry.

Nanny nanny boo boo to you too smarty pants.