you guys are extremely hipocritical [YOU RESPOND]

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
you guys are extremely hipocritical [YOU RESPOND]

Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 3:35 PM
Subject: [Hate Mail] Christ

Brandon Gallagher sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

Hello TRRS,

First, I will tell you that I do not hate you guys and girls, for God
commands to love your enemies as well as your friends. I just would like to
state that you guys are extremely hipocritical, and  Ican't say much
because I am to. But you guys are because you say that Christians slapping
there believes in peoples faces is wrong, yet you do it with the infamous
"Blasphamey Challenge." Just wanted to bring that to your attention.

God Bless,
Brandon Gallagher

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi;You misunderstand the

Hi;

You misunderstand the complaint. No one here minds that Christians have and speak their opinions out in public. We cherish the right to free speech.

It's Christians trying to make their version of morality into law that's the problem. For instance, trying to get Creationism/Intelligent Design into science class. Or preventing same-sex marriage. Or controlling women's reproductive rights.

I hope this clears things up for you.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
How exactly are we

How exactly are we "hypocrites"? Because we think you got it wrong? Because we use the very same Constitution to counter your magical claims?

This is what you sound like, "You have the right to believe what you want as long as you don't express it".

You have the right to try and sell your myth and we have the right to call it a myth. No one here who is civic minded wants to physically force you via law, to stop believing. We are merely using the same tools of the constitution to compete with your false claims and SHOW people where they went wrong in their thinking.

You don't have to shut up, but neither do we so don't cry sour grapes. Why not take the time here, instead of complaining, to make any case you have for the reasons for your position?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is it really that we're

Is it really that we're "slapping our beliefs" in christian's faces with the blasphemy challenge?

Or does it just seem that way to you because disagreement makes you uncomfortable? If a Christian wants to make a youtube video about how much they believe in God, we'll certainly make fun of it, because we find that belief ridiculous. Yet you won't hear us complaining that those videos ACTUALLY EXIST.

Yet the mere EXISTENCE of the blasphemy challenge is seen as some kind of offense to people like you. Now ask yourself why that is.

Is it maybe because, whether or not you realize it, you're shoving your beliefs in OUR faces? Your way or no way?

Excuse us for not being bullied.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Brandon GallagherHello

Quote:
Brandon Gallagher

Hello TRRS,

Hi Brandon.

Quote:
First, I will tell you that I do not hate you guys and girls, for God commands to love your enemies as well as your friends.

Are we enemies?

Quote:
I just would like to state that you guys are extremely hipocritical,

How so?

Quote:
and  Ican't say much because I am to.

Wow, my respect for you just went up by 5000 points.

Quote:
But you guys are because you say that Christians slapping there believes in peoples faces is wrong, yet you do it with the infamous "Blasphamey Challenge." Just wanted to bring that to your attention.

Eh, maybe...

For me, it depends on the approach and the medium. I generally don't think proclaiming your beliefs on Youtube is wrong in any way, since videos are passive.

Fundamentalist preachers that occasionally come to my college campus are incredibly annoying, but, even then, they certainly have the right to express their beliefs in a public place. What I really didn't like was the way they presented their opinions. Usually, they simply appealed to guilt and fear, carrying giant signs featuring giant flames, proclaiming "Repent or Else."

More than anything, I am a secularist, championing separation of church and state. Aside from that, I think everyone has the right to express their opinions.

Edit: Aaahh, Jill, you have a scary avatar again! Why can't you stick with the cute ones?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 First, Jill - ignore

First, Jill - ignore butterbattle. I like your avatar, and find cutesy anime more disturbing than your so-called "scary" avatar.

Second, God also commands that you stone sinners. I suggest you do this, and take a trip to jail for your troubles.

Thanks for playing.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Admit it, Brandon.  You do

Admit it, Brandon.  You do hate us, why else would you have gone to the trouble of writing this.  As far as "slapping there believes in peoples faces...", atheists, agnostics and secularists have pretty much left christians alone over the years while they were slapping their beliefs in other people's faces.  It's about damned time we did it too.  Though that's not what we do.  Or, at least, most of us don't.  christians believe they have to convert the world before christ will return for his thousand year reign.  If that ain't wrong I don't know what is.  All we are doing is defending the constitution and freedom of religion in the process.  We're not slapping anyone in the face or anywhere else, just trying to get you guys to stop doing it.

Jill, I like your avatar.  It's strangely erotic.  She doesn't happen to be wearing stiletto heels and wielding a riding crop by any chance, does she?

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: First,

HisWillness wrote:

First, Jill - ignore butterbattle. I like your avatar, and find cutesy anime more disturbing than your so-called "scary" avatar.

Aww, Will, that doesn't seem like you. I would presume that you enjoyed the avatar of the two girls kissing a lot more than this one. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
You guys need a

You guys need a boyfreind/girlfreind. Sticking out tongue Eye-wink Laughing out loud

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Aww,

butterbattle wrote:
Aww, Will, that doesn't seem like you. I would presume that you enjoyed the avatar of the two girls kissing a lot more than this one. 

Two real girls kissing, sure. Actually, even a cartoon is fine - just not anime. I'm just so incredibly sick of anime I can't tell you. It's like Japan's biggest symptom of social insanity. How's this instead:

See? That's much better.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
For a gentleman named

For a gentleman named Brandon Gallagher, he's not quite mastered the Queen's English, has he?

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brandon Gallagher

Brandon Gallagher wrote:
First, I will tell you that I do not hate you guys and girls, for God
commands to love your enemies as well as your friends. I just would like to
state that you guys are extremely hipocritical 

hypocrite -noun 1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

Speaking of hypocrites...

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
RE: JillSwift's Avatar: Has

RE: JillSwift's Avatar:

Has someone been hanging around Harajuku Station? The avatar has the same kind of artsy gothy feel to it.

(For the curious: Do a google image search)

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah Jill!!!!

JillSwift wrote:

You guys need a boyfreind/girlfreind. Sticking out tongue Eye-wink Laughing out loud

I totally agree, with the girlfriend part but my wife doesn't like the idea.  Go figure.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote: You guys

JillSwift wrote:

You're probably right. 

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Wow, my

butterbattle wrote:

Wow, my respect for you just went up by 5000 points.

That's a nice and arbitrarily large number. What do I have to do to get 1,000,000 points?

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote: You guys

JillSwift wrote:

You guys need a boyfriend/girlfriend. Sticking out tongue Eye-wink Laughing out loud

I don't know about that. When I did have one, I always had to keep my mouth shut for the sake of sex. Now I say what I want, when I want. Although I certainly am in the market for a not so religious girl. If only I could find one that meets my standards, which are admittedly somewhat high.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's "Whose God is it

It's "Whose God is it Anyway," where everything is made up and the points don't matter.

spike.barnett wrote:

That's a nice and arbitrarily large number. What do I have to do to get 1,000,000 points? 

Find me a girlfriend?