Why does jealousy have a bad reputation?

AdvancedAtheist
User is offlineOffline
Why does jealousy have a bad reputation?

For odd personal reasons, I don't understand why so many people consider jealousy a bad thing. If Woman A felt jealous towards me because she thought I had lost interest in her in favor of some other Woman B, her emotional reaction would show that Woman A valued me and feared losing me. I would have to consider that an impressive compliment of sorts.

Regarding the "odd personal reasons," I've never had a Woman A in my life. If anything, I've had some anti-Woman A's who've said things like "Leave me alone or I'll call the police." Eye-wink I would find it refreshing to witness a Woman A's jealousy some day.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Quote:For odd personal

Quote:
For odd personal reasons, I don't understand why so many people consider jealousy a bad thing. If Woman A felt jealous towards me because she thought I had lost interest in her in favor of some other Woman B, her emotional reaction would show that Woman A valued me and feared losing me. I would have to consider that an impressive compliment of sorts.

Regarding the "odd personal reasons," I've never had a Woman A in my life. If anything, I've had some anti-Woman A's who've said things like "Leave me alone or I'll call the police." Eye-wink I would find it refreshing to witness a Woman A's jealousy some day.

If you want a chick to go all Fatal Attraction or Single White Female on you, then jealousy can suck hard and can mean your untimely death.  Jealousy isn't necessarily a negative thing, but if in the hands of someone with mental instability, then you're in big trouble.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jealousy is a gateway drug

Jealousy is a gateway drug to bunny boiling.

Ground rules are best.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

AdvancedAtheist
User is offlineOffline
I've also wondered how some

I've also wondered how some individuals get into these "polyamorous" situations and claim to make them work while managing jealousy. For example, not many people know that the man who created Wonder Woman, a psychologist named William Marston, apparently lived in a poly triad with two women:

www.reason.com/news/show/28014.html

Quote:
Marston’s personal life was every bit as unconventional as his ideas about matriarchy; if nothing else, the details make one wonder about his fixation on liberated women. In 1915, the same year he graduated from Harvard, Marston married a Mt. Holyoke grad named Elizabeth Holloway, who went on to earn an M.A. and law degree, and to assist him in his psychological research. In the late ’20s, when teaching at Tufts University, Marston met a student named Olive Richard, who moved in with him and his wife.

Marston had two children by each woman and he and his wife formally adopted his children by Richard. "It was an arrangement where they [all] lived together fairly harmoniously," one of Marston’s sons told Daniels. A business associate vouched for Marston’s offbeat arrangement, remembering him as "the most remarkable host, with a lovely bunch of kids from different wives...all living together like one big family -- everybody very happy and all good, decent people."

I haven't found any reference to Marston's religious beliefs, but it wouldn't surprise me if he identified himself as an atheist. (I don't get a crypto-Mormon vibe from what I've read about him.)