The Irrationality of Atheistic Materialism: Case and Point

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Irrationality of Atheistic Materialism: Case and Point

Here is a classic example of the irrationality of atheistic materialism.

patcleaver wrote:
Physical events occurring without physical causation supports materialism because it is something that has been established by science and every time that science succeeds it indicates that materialism is true.

I do not really care what other atheists believe. All I care about is the evidence. The evidence indicates that there is no God.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another freaking thread on

Another freaking thread on this subject?

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Here is a

Paisley wrote:

What the heck is atheistic materialism?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:What the heck

RatDog wrote:

it's an apologist catch-phrase. If atheism is first linked to materialism, and then materialism is attacked (via a very non-mathematical reading of quantum mechanics), then since materialism "fails", atheism lacks support. It's a very elaborate god-of-the-gaps set-up.

Oh, and Paisley, it's "case in point". You would do better to quote Heidegger or something instead of whomever you're quoting each time we do this merry-go-round.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I guess virtual masochism is

I guess virtual masochism is safer than the real thing, eh, Paisley?

Whatever gets your rocks off, I guess.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:What the heck

RatDog wrote:

If I have define either term (i.e. atheism or materialism), then it probably indicates that you are not intellectually equipped to engage in this discussion.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Irrationality of paisleyism

Paisley wrote:

If I have define either term (i.e. atheism or materialism), then it probably indicates that you are not intellectually equipped to engage in this discussion.

You are hardly in a position to say who is and isn't intellectually equipped, little one. 

Need I point you again to the numerous occasions where you've contradicted yourself, dodged, and bailed from threads you started, never once owning up to your chicanery?

And here you are, starting yet another thread on the same bloody subject. 

As I've told you before:  "Paisley, stop dodging, or stop posting."

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:RatDog

Paisley wrote:

RatDog wrote:

Says the bloke who defines consciousness as consciousness...

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:it's an

HisWillness wrote:
it's an apologist catch-phrase. If atheism is first linked to materialism, and then materialism is attacked (via a very non-mathematical reading of quantum mechanics), then since materialism "fails", atheism lacks support. It's a very elaborate god-of-the-gaps set-up.

If atheism is linked to materialism?

It has been my experience that atheists who seek to extricate themselves from a strictly materialistic worldview have some kind of lurking god-belief.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:HisWillness

Paisley wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

It has been my experience that atheists who seek to extricate themselves from a strictly materialistic worldview have some kind of lurking god-belief.

And it's been my experience that people who insist on a strictly non-materialistic worldview have taken either too many or not enough of their meds.

— George Carlin

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:RatDog

Paisley wrote:

RatDog wrote:

Is there such a thing as theistic materialism?  If you believe in materialism it is almost certain that you are an atheist.  So why did you say atheistic materialism instead of just materialism?  It seems to me that you trying to say that all atheists are materialists.  If that is what you saying you are quite simply wrong.  I've met people before who are both atheists and who don't have a materialistic world view. 

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:Is there such a

RatDog wrote:
Is there such a thing as theistic materialism?  If you believe in materialism it is almost certain that you are an atheist.  So why did you say atheistic materialism instead of just materialism?

Actually. there is such a thing as "theistic materialism" (e.g. theologian Nancey Murphy subscribes to theistic materialism).

RatDog wrote:
It seems to me that you trying to say that all atheists are materialists.  If that is what you saying you are quite simply wrong.  I've met people before who are both atheists and who don't have a materialistic world view

Agreed. Sam Harris professes to be an "atheist" and yet subscribes to Buddhism and Vedanta Hinduism.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Another

JillSwift wrote:

This is the "Atheist vs. Theist" forum. If you find it offensive that I am challenging the worldview of atheistic materialism, then I suggest you find another forum.  

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't we already have a

Don't we already have a thread on this? Why do we need multiple threads for this one subject? I know that the last thread on this subject was largely fruitless, but we all know that this one won't be any better. Let's all head down to the other thread rather than contribute to this duplicate one.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley:I posit that the

Paisley:

I posit that the universe, and everything within it, was actually created about 6-7 years ago when I Dark Ritual'd into 3 Festering Goblin, and sent them to the bin to lay down a Delraich, sending The Other Guy's Piledriver and Sharpshooter to the wrong side of his library before clocking his dome for 6 damage I needed to end the game.

Prove me wrong. If you can't, not believing in me as the deity who created everything while eating doritos and playing Magic: The Gathering is irrational.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

You mean like our esteemed colleague Luminon? He believes in magic, so I'd have to agree.

This is a bit of a re-post (from a reply I gave you in another topic), but let's be clear: we're talking about what's usually called "physicalism"

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/physicalism/

When you say "materialism" it gets confusing, as that sounds more like Descartes. Then your follow-up about quantum mechanics actually makes sense, because in the context of Descarte's materialism, quantum mechanics really would be evidence that the whole material world could be thrown into doubt. Fortunately, given an a posteriori physicalism (as the Stanford article illustrates) the debate rages on.

PS - Chomsky's arguments against physicalism are particularly helpful for an understanding of the layers, here: the "physicalist project" and "naturalist project" are divided so as to make a philisophical distinction between the two that might help fill out your argument, so that we don't have to be reduced to going in circles again.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Prove me

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Prove me wrong. If you can't, not believing in me as the deity who created everything while eating doritos and playing Magic: The Gathering is irrational.

Wow. And I thought I was the only god who played magic...

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:JillSwift

Paisley wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

This is the "Atheist vs. Theist" forum. If you find it offensive that I am challenging the worldview of atheistic materialism, then I suggest you find another forum.  

And I suggest you stop starting new threads on the same subject, and go back to the threads you have allready started, and answer the challenges you have encountered there.

Paisley, I notice that one of your threads on this subject end with a post by me that you have yet to address.

You are in no position to swing around here with your smugness to people who have not read your previous threads, pretending that this is the first time you've done this.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why define

Why the hell would paisley define anything, he never really has beyond vague terms that he can then change the definition/meaning at will and dismiss anything the proves his views wrong. We all know how the game goes with paisley, paisley is intellectually dishonest, a fraud and uneducated in regards how to debate/discuss a topic.

patcleaver
patcleaver's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Here is a

Paisley wrote:

patcleaver wrote:
Physical events occurring without physical causation supports materialism because it is something that has been established by science and every time that science succeeds it indicates that materialism is true.

I do not really care what other atheists believe. All I care about is the evidence. The evidence indicates that there is no God.

The consensus of quantum physicists is that some quantum physical events occur without any cause at all. They do not believe that the cause is related to your ignorant superstitions. They do not believe that little gnomes that live in your ass cause quantum events, and for exactly the same reasons, they do not believe that the magical sky fairy, that you call god, causes quantum events.

Your God is impossible and if you disagree please explain how your god is possible.

when you say "faith" I think "evil lies"
when you say "god" I think "santa clause"

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:And I suggest

Nikolaj wrote:
And I suggest you stop starting new threads on the same subject, and go back to the threads you have allready started, and answer the challenges you have encountered there.

Paisley, I notice that one of your threads on this subject end with a post by me that you have yet to address.

Oh yeah? What post was that?

Nikolaj wrote:
You are in no position to swing around here with your smugness to people who have not read your previous threads, pretending that this is the first time you've done this.

I am in a position. This is my thread, not yours. And if you have a problem with that, then I suggest you start your own thread.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
patcleaver wrote:The

patcleaver wrote:
The consensus of quantum physicists is that some quantum physical events occur without any cause at all. They do not believe that the cause is related to your ignorant superstitions. They do not believe that little gnomes that live in your ass cause quantum events, and for exactly the same reasons, they do not believe that the magical sky fairy, that you call god, causes quantum events.

Your God is impossible and if you disagree please explain how your god is possible.

Actually, I have to give you props for at least acknowledging that quantum indeterminism implies that "physical events occur without any cause at all" (most here do not have the intellectual honesty to admit this much). That being said, materialism fails to explain how a physical event can occur without a physical cause. And if you can't explain it, then your worldview leaves something very much to be desired.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Nikolaj

Paisley wrote:

Nikolaj wrote:

Oh yeah? What post was that?

Actually, there is a post by me in another one of paisley's threads where paisley failed to respond.  It appears that paisley's proven pathology is to simply start new threads on the same theme when paisley can no longer hide behind paisley's obfuscation in previous threads.

Paisley wrote:

I am in a position. This is my thread, not yours. And if you have a problem with that, then I suggest you start your own thread.

If paisley has a problem with responding forthrightly, then it is suggested that paisley stop posting altogether.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Actually, I

Paisley wrote:

Actually, I have to give you props for at least acknowledging that quantum indeterminism implies that "physical events occur without any cause at all" (most here do not have the intellectual honesty to admit this much). That being said, materialism fails to explain how a physical event can occur without a physical cause. And if you can't explain it, then your worldview leaves something very much to be desired.

How 'bout this, Paisley? How about you explain how quantum events happen? What in your worldview explains them?

Double points if you use actual quantum mechanics, or use explanations that make testable predictions.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:Don't we

Jormungander wrote:
Don't we already have a thread on this? Why do we need multiple threads for this one subject? I know that the last thread on this subject was largely fruitless, but we all know that this one won't be any better. Let's all head down to the other thread rather than contribute to this duplicate one.

How many threads on this forum are on the "irrationality of theism?"

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sorry, maybe I'm

I'm sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but I really don't see how physical events which lack a cause is a blow against materialism or atheism.  

I mean, how is it that you posit that because these events apparently have no cause, that their cause is God? Isn't that essentially saying that God = Nothing?

I mean, I guess you could be saying that they appear to have no physical cause, thus they must have a supernatural cause, however this would merely be a God of the Gaps argument.  Furthermore, that means that these  events which you say have no cause actually do have a cause, we just cannot detect it yet.

Your argument amounts to no more than the Lightning of Zeus.

Furthermore, I would think there being uncaused events would be kind of good for atheistic materialism, or at least atheism, I don't particularly keep up on the various tenets of random belief structures. I mean, if there are events that are uncaused then doesn't it become at least theoretically viable that the universe itself is such an uncaused event?

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Paisley

nigelTheBold wrote:
Paisley wrote:

How 'bout this, Paisley? How about you explain how quantum events happen? What in your worldview explains them?

Double points if you use actual quantum mechanics, or use explanations that make testable predictions.

To begin with, I don't see you or any other forum member taking issue with a fellow atheist who is insisting that quantum indeterminacy really does imply that "physical events occur without any cause at all." However, when I pointed out this obvious fact, I was ridiculed and scorned, being charged with scientific ignorance (that I didn't really understand what the term "indeterminacy" meant in the context of quantum physics).

Secondly, I have already presented in the past quantum mind theories by eminent physicists who attribute collapse of the wave function to consciouness/free will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sinphanius

Sinphanius wrote:
Furthermore, I would think there being uncaused events would be kind of good for atheistic materialism, or at least atheism, I don't particularly keep up on the various tenets of random belief structures. I mean, if there are events that are uncaused then doesn't it become at least theoretically viable that the universe itself is such an uncaused event?

Actually, atheist philosopher Quentin Smith argues that the universe emerged ex nihilo (out of nothing) uncaused because science has evidence that virtual particles emerge from nothing uncaused. But this just shows that the evidence is subject to interpretation. And I would argue that saying that "something emerges from nothing uncaused" is no explanation at all. Indeed, it's irrational.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/quentin_smith/bigbang.html

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:To begin with,

Paisley wrote:

To begin with, I don't see you or any other forum member taking issue with a fellow atheist who is insisting that quantum indeterminacy really does imply that "physical events occur without any cause at all." However, when I pointed out this obvious fact, I was ridiculed and scorned, being charged with scientific ignorance (that I didn't really understand what the term "indeterminacy" meant in the context of quantum physics).

Secondly, I have already presented in the past quantum mind theories by eminent physicists who attribute collapse of the wave function to consciouness/free will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind

Excellent. The quantum mind.

You realize the quantum mind basically says that the brain might use quantum effects, right? That's all it says. It doesn't say it's not materialistic. (I know you claim QM is not materialistic, but since you don't know what QM is, how do you know?)

Even Roger Penrose has been unable to come up with a decent explanation of how quantum effects work within the brain to produce consciousness. So this isn't "knowledge," it's speculation based on interlocking ignorance: the ignorance of the mind, and the ignorance of quantum mechanics. I'm not saying Penrose isn't fully conversant with the current state of understanding of either of those subjects: I'm saying we still don't have a basis for any speculation. The fact that Penrose is speculating doesn't make his thoughts valid; they're just intersting thoughts, and possible paths to investigate, until we discover the real foundation of QM and consciousness.

In any case it is, at best, a way of attempting to tie two mysteries together (the source of quantum indeterminacy, and "consciousness" ). It's using one thing we only half-understand (QM) to claim that's why we only half-understand this other thing. There's no real hypothesis here. But in either case, QM is not "non-materialistic." Sure, at the moment it goes against newtonian physics in that it's statistical in many cases. That doesn't mean it's not materialistic. It just means that philsophers such as Descartes had no idea that QM even existed, so the old-style "materialism" that you claim we all believe is pre-QM. So far, there's nothing in QM to suggest dualism.

That said: considering that quantum processes are involved in at least photosynthesis (and quite likely other biological mechanisms), I would not be surprised to see things like quantum tunneling as a part of the purely natural mechanisms of neurons. But, considering that a single neuron does not provide consciousness, at most you can say that quantum effects help drive the very efficient computer that is the brain.

As for why I didn't take issue with someone else talking about quantum events being without cause: I did. I just didn't post it. I kind of take issue with modern QM as it stands right now, in fact. Not that there might be uncaused events. That doesn't concern me. What does concern me is people jumping to conclusions with knowledge for which we don't even have, and claiming it is valid knowledge. We don't know what QM really is. We don't know if it's ontologically deterministic or ontologically non-deterministic. We only know that QM involves statistics at the moment.

The only way we will gain knowledge is through thorough investigation. It's fun to speculate on the nature of things, like Penrose does. What's less fun is correcting the ignorance of others, especially when that ignorance is presented as knowledge of something the person has no way of knowing.

And that's why your ignorance is so frustrating: because you are claiming knowledge of something you have no way of knowing.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:There's

nigelTheBold wrote:
There's no real hypothesis here.

Evidently, you didn't read the entire article. Evan Harris Walker's quantum mind theory is a real scientific hypothesis (it's testable with measurable variables). Walker outlines his theory in his book entitled "The Physics of Consciousness" - a quantum mind theory that extends to the divine mind.

Henry Stapp's quantum mind qualifies as a form of interaction dualism and he incorporates Alfred N. Whitehead's metaphysics of procces thought (which is a theistic system). He outlines his theory in his book entitled "Mindful Universe: Quantum Mechanics and the Particpating Universe."

David Bohm's quantum mind theory qualifies as dual-aspect monism (Spinoza-style pantheism).  See his book entitled "Wholeness and the Implicate Order"

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:To begin with,

Paisley wrote:
To begin with, I don't see you or any other forum member taking issue with a fellow atheist who is insisting that quantum indeterminacy really does imply that "physical events occur without any cause at all."

It could bring one to tears - it really could. Okay, look: have I not been clear that because events at the quantum level have to be expressed as probability distributions, then they are (in that mathematical context) indeterminate? I must have written this a hundred times by now. You can only understand "cause" in that context as a distribution of probability. You could equally say, then, that these events have, and do not have, a cause that you can determine. You have to look at the data, and appreciate that the language used to describe such data is as accurate as possible about a very difficult topic. It is not, however, a bona fide philosophical statement. It's disingenuous to treat it is as such.

Paisley wrote:
However, when I pointed out this obvious fact, I was ridiculed and scorned, being charged with scientific ignorance (that I didn't really understand what the term "indeterminacy" meant in the context of quantum physics).

Because you're warping the meaning to arrive at your pre-determined conclusion! This mixing of philosophy and physical observation is speculative, so reaching all-encompassing conclusions about it is ridiculous. 

We both know there is still quite a lot of mystery - that's certainly easy to admit. If that mystery isn't yet explained, that doesn't mean that anyone who believes the most rational available explanation is being irrational (which seems to be what you're contending). Discussing various competing explanations is fine, but treating mystery as the downfall of everything we've learned so far is undoubtedly counter-productive.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:nigelTheBold

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:
There's no real hypothesis here.

Evidently, you didn't read the entire article. Evan Harris Walker's quantum mind theory is a real scientific hypothesis (it's testable with measurable variables). Walker outlines his theory in his book entitled "The Physics of Consciousness" - a quantum mind theory that extends to the divine mind.

Henry Stapp's quantum mind qualifies as a form of interaction dualism and he incorporates Alfred N. Whitehead's metaphysics of procces thought (which is a theistic system). He outlines his theory in his book entitled "Mindful Universe: Quantum Mechanics and the Particpating Universe."

David Bohm's quantum mind theory qualifies as dual-aspect monism (Spinoza-style pantheism).  See his book entitled "Wholeness and the Implicate Order"

And there's your God of the gaps.  You need a divine mind to hang on to so you can make sense of things - just like the folk who invented Zeus and Thor.

— George Carlin

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Evidently, you

Paisley wrote:

I stand corrected. There are a couple of hypothesis, with testable predictions.

I take exception with the inclusion of Bohm in this list. His propositions made no specific, unique, testable predictions, and he gave no mechanism by which quantum effects could affect the mind. Therefore, his ideas don't qualify as an hypothesis, let alone a theory.

I haven't read Walker's book, so can't comment on that. I imagine I should meander on down to the library and check it out. He uses information theory (a subject dear to my heart), so he should at least be interesting. This could be very interesting, as he seems to relate quantum computing to the brain.

Why no Penrose and Hameroff on the list? Theirs is the hypothesis that makes the most solid predictions, and they actually provide a quantum effect that could account for consciousness. I suspect since they explicitely deny any connection with qualia, that might throw a monkey-wrench in your "quantum mechanics god of the gap" fetish.

In any case, QM is a naturalistic process, so any quantum events discovered in the brain are still naturalistic. It provides no evidence for a soul, or God, or pretty much any other dualistic nonsense.

patcleaver
patcleaver's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:patcleaver

Paisley wrote:

patcleaver wrote:

It is a brute fact that some effects do not have a cause, for example:

Quantum energy fluctuations;

The time when a photon is emitted from an existed atom;

The direction of a photon emitted from an existed atom;;

The time when radiation is emitted from an atom of a radioactive isotope;

The direction that the radiation is emitted from an atom of a radioactive isotope;

The direction of a particle after it travels through a pair of fine slits or after it is reflected off a fine grate.

There are no causes for these effects. Your unsupported speculations are not evidence that there are causes for these effects.

The universe has no known cause and may not have any cause at all.

It is a brute fact that some things do not have an explanation. Unsupported speculations about magical beings and other woo are not explanations of anything.

There is no law of nature that all effects must have a cause or that there has to be an explanation for everything.

God is only a fake cause or an fake explanation for people who are unable to differentiate between fantasy and reality or accept the truth of reality.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:It could

HisWillness wrote:
It could bring one to tears - it really could. Okay, look: have I not been clear that because events at the quantum level have to be expressed as probability distributions, then they are (in that mathematical context) indeterminate? I must have written this a hundred times by now. You can only understand "cause" in that context as a distribution of probability. You could equally say, then, that these events have, and do not have, a cause that you can determine.

The "distribution of probability" is the cause of the event? What kind of nonsense is this? The probabilities of a coin toss is 50-50 that it will land heads. But the actual outcome of a coin toss is not determined by the probabilities.   

HisWillness wrote:
You have to look at the data, and appreciate that the language used to describe such data is as accurate as possible about a very difficult topic. It is not, however, a bona fide philosophical statement. It's disingenuous to treat it is as such.

If quantum indeterminacy is true, then some events are causeless. This is not philosophical speculation; this is the definition of term "indeterminism." (Now you can argue that the events only appear to be indeterminate. But you have to provide some explanation for the appearance.)

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:
However, when I pointed out this obvious fact, I was ridiculed and scorned, being charged with scientific ignorance (that I didn't really understand what the term "indeterminacy" meant in the context of quantum physics).

Because you're warping the meaning to arrive at your pre-determined conclusion! This mixing of philosophy and physical observation is speculative, so reaching all-encompassing conclusions about it is ridiculous. 

We both know there is still quite a lot of mystery - that's certainly easy to admit. If that mystery isn't yet explained, that doesn't mean that anyone who believes the most rational available explanation is being irrational (which seems to be what you're contending). Discussing various competing explanations is fine, but treating mystery as the downfall of everything we've learned so far is undoubtedly counter-productive.

The definition of the term "indeterminism" is not a mystery.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/indeterminism

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

HisWillness wrote:
It could bring one to tears - it really could. Okay, look: have I not been clear that because events at the quantum level have to be expressed as probability distributions, then they are (in that mathematical context) indeterminate? I must have written this a hundred times by now. You can only understand "cause" in that context as a distribution of probability. You could equally say, then, that these events have, and do not have, a cause that you can determine.

The "distribution of probability" is the cause of the event? What kind of nonsense is this? The probabilities of a coin toss is 50-50 that it will land heads. But the actual outcome of a coin toss is not determined by the probabilities.   

HisWillness wrote:
You have to look at the data, and appreciate that the language used to describe such data is as accurate as possible about a very difficult topic. It is not, however, a bona fide philosophical statement. It's disingenuous to treat it is as such.

If quantum indeterminacy is true, then some events are causeless. This is not philosophical speculation; this is the definition of term "indeterminism." (Now you can argue that the events only appear to be indeterminate. But you have to provide some explanation for the appearance.)

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/indeterminism

As you are a theist who believes every thing has a cause (called God, divine mind, whatever) why are you arguing for indeterminacy?

— George Carlin

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
patcleaver wrote:Paisley

patcleaver wrote:
Paisley wrote:

The direction that the radiation is emitted from an atom of a radioactive isotope;

The direction of a particle after it travels through a pair of fine slits or after it is reflected off a fine grate.

There are no causes for these effects. Your unsupported speculations are not evidence that there are causes for these effects.

It is a brute fact that some things do not have an explanation. Unsupported speculations about magical beings and other woo are not explanations of anything.

There is no law of nature that all effects must have a cause or that there has to be an explanation for everything.

Correction. There is a law. It's called the law of cause and effect - the most fundamental law there is and the one which science must presuppose in order to carry out its project. The bottom line here is that your worldview of atheistic materialism precludes you from ascribing mental causes. Mine does not. That's why my worldview has more explanatory power than yours. That's why my worldview is more rational than yours.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:As you are a

jcgadfly wrote:
As you are a theist who believes every thing has a cause (called God, divine mind, whatever) why are you arguing for indeterminacy?

Easy. Indeterminism implies free will.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:I take

nigelTheBold wrote:
I take exception with the inclusion of Bohm in this list. His propositions made no specific, unique, testable predictions, and he gave no mechanism by which quantum effects could affect the mind. Therefore, his ideas don't qualify as an hypothesis, let alone a theory.

Okay. Bohm's probably qualifies as an interpretation.

nigelTheBold wrote:
Why no Penrose and Hameroff on the list? Theirs is the hypothesis that makes the most solid predictions, and they actually provide a quantum effect that could account for consciousness. I suspect since they explicitely deny any connection with qualia, that might throw a monkey-wrench in your "quantum mechanics god of the gap" fetish.

I didn't mention Penrose and Hammeroff because you already mentioned them in your previous post.  Also, they don't deny "qualia" (what David Chalmers calls the hard-problem of consciousness).  In fact, Stuart Hammeroff mentions on his website that the qualia is not addressed by other theories.

http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/presentations/whatisconsciousness.html

nigelTheBold wrote:
In any case, QM is a naturalistic process, so any quantum events discovered in the brain are still naturalistic. It provides no evidence for a soul, or God, or pretty much any other dualistic nonsense.

Naturalism is not inherently materialistic. Universal consciouness may simply be a brute fact of the natural order of things. And the whole point of quantum mind theories is that quantum indeterminacy is a description of the natural process of conscious free will (collapse of the wave function).

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:jcgadfly

Paisley wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

This is something that's always confused me. Perhaps you can clarify it for me.

How does indeterminacy require free will? It seems that quantum indeterminacy implies randomness at most. How does randomness relate to free will?

This is a serious question, one I've never been able to answer. When I was much younger and studying physics, I came on the idea that the random nature of QM might explain free will, just as you suggest here. But the more I explored and discussed with other people (including my physics and philosophy professors), they had one simple question which I couldn't answer: how does randomness lead to free will?

This is the same question that caused Roger Penrose to discard standard wave collapse in favor of objective reduction (for which there is currently no evidence). So I know I'm not alone in this question.

[EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your reply to my other post. So please ignore.]

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Naturalism is

Paisley wrote:

Naturalism is not inherently materialistic. Universal consciouness may simply be a brute fact of the natural order of things. And the whole point of quantum mind theories is that quantum indeterminacy is a description of the natural process of conscious free will (collapse of the wave function).

Excellent. This answers my last post.

I guess the only question is, then: what evidence is there that the seemingly-random collapse of a wave function is a natural process of conscious free will? Why is it not simply the random decoherence of a probability wave for purposes of interaction with other probability waves? Which of the various quantum-mind hypotheses have supporting evidence?

Actually, when it comes down to it, what evidence exists to support any of the competing hypotheses for the nature of QM?

Again, this is a sincere question.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:jcgadfly

Paisley wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

So you have a god who isn't omnisicient or any of the other omnis?

— George Carlin

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:This is

nigelTheBold wrote:

How does indeterminacy require free will? It seems that quantum indeterminacy implies randomness at most. How does randomness relate to free will?

This is a serious question, one I've never been able to answer. When I was much younger and studying physics, I came on the idea that the random nature of QM might explain free will, just as you suggest here. But the more I explored and discussed with other people (including my physics and philosophy professors), they had one simple question which I couldn't answer: how does randomness lead to free will?

Free will (as it is conventionally understood) implies that given the same possibilities (probabilities?), the agent could have chosen otherwise. And I would not use the term "randomness" when applied to an intelligent agent because agents are purpose-driven. The term "spontaneous" is more apt, although a lower life-form may exhibit (from our perspective) what may be construed as random behavior. I see free will is the animating aspect of life.

patcleaver
patcleaver's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:patcleaver

Paisley wrote:

patcleaver wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Correction. There is a law. It's called the law of cause and effect - the most fundamental law there is and the one which science must presuppose in order to carry out its project. The bottom line here is that your worldview of atheistic materialism precludes you from ascribing mental causes. Mine does not. That's why my worldview has more explanatory power than yours. That's why my worldview is more rational than yours.

When you make up bullshit, that is not supported by evidence, then your lying. That's what I think your doing regarding this imaginary "law of cause and effect ". Surely, if your not just making it up, you have a citation for the existence of this law of physics - wow a new law of physics that nobody ever heard of.

Unsupported assertions are not explanations - they are just bullshit - they do not explain anything.

A data recorder collapses the wave function just as efficiently as a person. Collapsing the wave function has nothing to do with the mind.

patcleaver
patcleaver's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:nigelTheBold

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

Free will (as it is conventionally understood) implies that given the same possibilities (probabilities?), the agent could have chosen otherwise. And I would not use the term "randomness" when applied to an intelligent agent because agents are purpose-driven. The term "spontaneous" is more apt, although a lower life-form may exhibit (from our perspective) what may be construed as random behavior. I see free will is the animating aspect of life.

Free will is a religious concept that the actions of people are not determined solely by their circumstances, but also by something spiritual, so that:

1) it is fair for God to burn someone alive forever in a lake of fire for not believing in him after hearing the magic incantation "believe in Jesus"; and

2) its good for God to cause huge amounts of horrible otherwise useless suffering in the world to somehow promote this free-will.

According to the crazy religious doctrine of free will, people have some spiritual quality so that, identical people in identical physical circumstances could make different moral decisions that they would be morally responsible for. This has nothing to do with randomness. - if it was random then they would not be responsible.

Free will is useless because you could not detect it if it existed. Like all spiritual things, we should not believe that free-will exists until the proponents of free will offer reasonable evidence that shows that it exists.

Free choice means that an agent is allowed to make decisions based on his own values and not on incompatible values of others. Even if all his values are determined by his circumstances,  he still has free choice as long as his decisions are based on his values.

All animals exhibit random-like dodging behavior when being chased by a predator. If not, then the predator could predict their dodges and they would not survive to reproduce. Pseudo-randomness is part of the human decision making process, but I do not know how it is implemented , and I have no reason to think it is related to quantum mechanics.

Materialism seems to be merely a straw man that theists use in apologetics against rational atheism. I never hear about it except in relation to Christian apologetics. The only thing that most rational atheists hold regarding physicalism, is that, it should be presumed, that nothing spiritual exists, until there is reasonable evidence of spiritualism. The proponents of spiritualism have the burden of providing evidence that something spiritual exists.

Mwolfson
Mwolfson's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:RatDog

HisWillness wrote:

RatDog wrote:

Oh, and Paisley, it's "case in point". You would do better to quote Heidegger or something instead of whomever you're quoting each time we do this merry-go-round.

Bingo. It's precisely that, a phrase meant to demean and attack the philosophy of science. Atheistic materialism calls to mind Stalin, Mao, and unethical scientists; precisely as intended by theists with no substance behind their own arguments; thus they need to impugn on the character of another.

“Every religious idea, every idea of God, even flirting with the idea of God, is unutterable vileness … vileness of the most dangerous kind, ‘contagion’ of the most abominable kind. Millions of sins, filthy deeds, acts of violence and physical contagions … are far less dangerous than the subtle, spiritual idea of a God decked out in the smartest ‘ideological’ customs…. Every defense or justification of the idea of God, even the most refined, the best intentioned, is a justification of reaction.”

--Vladimir Lenin

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:The

Paisley wrote:
The "distribution of probability" is the cause of the event?

No. The probability distribution is the observation. The description of that observation is that it is indeterminate, in that a quantum event cannot be given a cause. The framework for all this theory is mathematical. Again, the reason I say you don't understand this stuff is because you don't. Even with only my passing (and not comprehensive) knowledge in this area, these are still mathematical statements derived and modeled from observation, and your question is attempting to put quantum events into a classical model. It doesn't work, and everybody knows that already.

Also, I have to correct what I said above. I wrote:

Will wrote:
You can only understand "cause" in that context as a distribution of probability. You could equally say, then, that these events have, and do not have, a cause that you can determine.

I meant to correct that last sentence, and apparently didn't. I was trying to capture the probability distribution, and completely botched it. You can only say of quantum events that they have no cause. Full stop. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

This stuff is counter-intuitive, but it is based on observation. The theoretical model is all mathematical, so you'd have to appreciate that before thinking you could concoct some far-reaching conclusion about its results.

Paisley wrote:
The probabilities of a coin toss is 50-50 that it will land heads. But the actual outcome of a coin toss is not determined by the probabilities.

Right. But the probability remains the same, no matter how many times you toss the coin, and no matter what the outcome is. The coin toss is analogous to an electron's spin in its Hilbert space, if you thought of the coin being tossed constantly, and "read" instantly and then immediately tossed again. While the coin is in the air, it has only its probability distribution to give us a measurement.

Paisley wrote:
If quantum indeterminacy is true, then some events are causeless.

Actually, if you want to extend the idea of quantum indeterminacy to the macroscopic world, then ALL events are without a cause. Mathematically speaking, of course. As you can see from above, it would be nonsensical to ascribe a cause.

Paisley wrote:
HisWillness wrote:

No, of course not. The mystery I was referring to is found in probability distributions and statistical error involved in any measurement.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Free will (as

Paisley wrote:
Free will (as it is conventionally understood) implies that given the same possibilities (probabilities?), the agent could have chosen otherwise.

Here's where quantum mechanics doesn't really apply, though. "Could have chosen otherwise" isn't all that relevant. If you flip heads, then naturally, you could have flipped tails. That's not free will (at least, I don't think it is). That's an outcome falling into a probability distribution. The propogation of such a large number of elementary particles each engaged in their own probability distributions still doesn't result in free will, only to an increasing complication of the whole system beyond the point of reasonable enumeration.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:No. The

HisWillness wrote:
No. The probability distribution is the observation. The description of that observation is that it is indeterminate, in that a quantum event cannot be given a cause. The framework for all this theory is mathematical. Again, the reason I say you don't understand this stuff is because you don't. Even with only my passing (and not comprehensive) knowledge in this area, these are still mathematical statements derived and modeled from observation, and your question is attempting to put quantum events into a classical model. It doesn't work, and everybody knows that already.

Yes, the theory is mathematical. The language of physics is mathematics. Quantum theory is a scientific theory which uses the language of mathematics to model what is being experimentally observed. So, I fail to see your point.

HIsWillness wrote:
This stuff is counter-intuitive, but it is based on observation. The theoretical model is all mathematical, so you'd have to appreciate that before thinking you could concoct some far-reaching conclusion about its results.

The theory of relativity is mathematical. Theories in physics are described in the language of mathematics which model what is being observed. Of course, quantum theory is only a theory and subject to falsification. But to date, it hasn't been falsified. So the theory and hence the model stands.

HisWillness wrote:
Actually, if you want to extend the idea of quantum indeterminacy to the macroscopic world, then ALL events are without a cause. Mathematically speaking, of course. As you can see from above, it would be nonsensical to ascribe a cause.

True, if all matter (mass/energy) reduces to the quantum potential (which is does according to quantum theory), then the phenomenal world is fundamentally indeterminate. And it is only nonsensical if you try to fit it into a materialistic framework. In other words, you may have to rethink your worldview.

HisWillness wrote:
No, of course not. The mystery I was referring to is found in probability distributions and statistical error involved in any measurement.

Your response here leads me to believe that you really don't understand what is meant by indeterminacy in the context of QM. It's not due to an error in measurement.

Quote:
However, by the later half of the eighteenth century, measurement errors were well understood and it was known that they could either be reduced by better equipment or accounted for by statistical error models. In quantum mechanics, however, indeterminacy is of a much more fundamental nature, having nothing to do with errors or disturbance.

(source: Wikipedia: quantum indeterminacy)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_indeterminacy

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
patcleaver wrote:Paisley

patcleaver wrote:
Paisley wrote:

When you make up bullshit, that is not supported by evidence, then your lying. That's what I think your doing regarding this imaginary "law of cause and effect ". Surely, if your not just making it up, you have a citation for the existence of this law of physics - wow a new law of physics that nobody ever heard of.

Unsupported assertions are not explanations - they are just bullshit - they do not explain anything.

A data recorder collapses the wave function just as efficiently as a person. Collapsing the wave function has nothing to do with the mind.

The law of cause and effect is logic. And if you refuse to acknowledge it, then your forfeit your right to have a logical debate. You can't reason with someone who is not amenable to reason. The bottom line here is that your metaphysical theory (materialism) does not explain the evidential facts. So the logical thing to do is to discard your theory. 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:True, if all

Paisley wrote:
True, if all matter (mass/energy) reduces to the quantum potential (which is does according to quantum theory), then the phenomenal world is fundamentally indeterminate.

Right.

Paisley wrote:
And it is only nonsensical if you try to fit it into a materialistic framework.

What? A probability distribution is still a description of a physical thing in a physical environment. How does that take us outside of physicalism? How does that even hint at leaving the physical?

Paisley wrote:
HisWillness wrote:

Your response here leads me to believe that you really don't understand what is meant by indeterminacy in the context of QM. It's not due to an error in measurement.

Oh, Paisley. When I say "error" when discussing statistics, I mean it statistically. In statistics, "error" doesn't mean "mistake". The Wikipedia article correctly states that statistical error is not what indeterminacy refers to. Quite right. But statistical error and probability distributions are both examples of the simplest example of everyday indeterminacy available.

Think of tolerances in manufacturing. Even when a 12" ruler is made, it's made within certain tolerances, say between -0.1mm and 0.1 mm off of exactly 12". Any ruler that's about to be made in our hypothetical ruler factory will be a 12" ruler, but it'll be a 12" ruler give or take 0.1 mm, because making a ruler 12" down to the micron is a bit much. Even if we were trying for exactly 12", there would still be the slightest variation in the size of the rulers, and the range in the measurement of those rulers (for all intents and purposes) would be the statistical "error" in their sizes.

By the same token, we could only give the exact size of any potential 12" ruler in terms of a probability distribution. It might be 12% probable that we'd see a ruler that's 0.1mm off of the ideal measurement, for example. You'd be right in saying that the probability did not determine the actual size of the upcoming ruler, but I doubt that's counter-intuitive.