Legal challenge to UK bus adverts

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Legal challenge to UK bus adverts

And so it begins.  Some fuckwad has decided he wants to challenge the UK bus adverts saying "There's probably no god..." on grounds of 'truthfulness' and 'substantiation'

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/opinion-former-index/legal-and-constitutional/christian-challenges-atheist-bus-advert-$1259459.htm

Video added by Sapient:

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
It's interesting to note

It's interesting to note that this campaign was started by an individual not any particular organisation  (The British Humanism Assocation ran the admin only).

British atheist groups bicker and argue with each other like they do everywhere else (herding cats?)

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn! You weren't kidding.

Damn! You weren't kidding. She's quite the looker.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that's

I think that's terrific.

The idiot is almost certain to lose.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:I think

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I think that's terrific.

The idiot is almost certain to lose.

And won't you be surprised when he wins? (scare tactics, I mean if.)

I'm not making any bets here...

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I will be incredibly

I will be incredibly discouraged if he wins. It means that the British government is more or less just as sectarian as Hitch suggests it is.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure Hitchens is

I'm not sure Hitchens is really that wrong. 

Though, this is a gem and I am reminded of certain implications:

Hanne Stinson wrote:
I am sure that Stephen Green really does think there is a great deal of evidence for a God (though presumably only the one that he believes in) but I pity the ASA if they are going to be expected to rule on the probability of god’s existence.
It would be ridiculous and the ASA would be rulling on something sensitive... and we all know what they must rule if they're to follow the law and logic.  Pity, yes.  Of course, can we imagine a ruling other than that one being probable?  What would that ruling be?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Bring it on, any enquiry

Bring it on, any enquiry about 'god probably not existing' will also have to apply to christian adverts saying he does

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Of course,

Thomathy wrote:

Of course, can we imagine a ruling other than that one being probable?  What would that ruling be?

It can only be gold. Remember that bit where someone tried to sell their soul on ebay? The response from ebay was magnificent, so I expect they will seek that very same person out to write the response to this one. It was something along the lines of "If the soul is physical, then it's a body part, and ebay doesn't let you sell body parts. Neither does it allow the sale of non-physical things."

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
That seems like a reasonable

That seems like a reasonable decision to come to on ebay's part.  But for the ASA to rule in favour of the Christian guy, the decision would have to be 'gold' indeed.

BigUniverse wrote,

Sadzaeater
Sadzaeater's picture
User is offlineOffline
Love it. Funny as hell.

Love it. Funny as hell. Literally.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is there a reason, if there

Is there a reason, if there is a reason, the theists cannot or donot counter by advertizing "there is a god"?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
I noticed in the NPR story

I noticed in the NPR story about this (which I just posted because I didn't see this one) someone mentioned that they didn't like the slogan because you cannot prove that god prolly doesn't exist. 

Uh...

So...

Go ahead and prove he DOES, yo!

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Stephen Green ?  This

Stephen Green ? 

This guy ? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYxY39GL64Y

Should be fun.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
UK Atheists buy bus adds

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/06/religion-atheist-bus-campaign-national

Check out the hottie in the pic.

ANYWHO, we have done quite a bit here in the states, but nothing from a single campain to this scale mentioned in the article. It would be great if all the collective atheist organizations put their heads together to do something similer here.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:That seems

Thomathy wrote:

That seems like a reasonable decision to come to on ebay's part.  But for the ASA to rule in favour of the Christian guy, the decision would have to be 'gold' indeed.

I suppose it depends on who's receiving the gold, and how many closet atheist judges there are who might enjoy delivering a thrashing to someone who wastes the court's time. It's not like English courts are just sitting around waiting for people to sue each other, and this kind of frivolous nonsense might raise the ire of any reasonable judge, regardless of their religious persuasion.

The bus campaign is cute, for crying out loud! I mean, it's puppies-and-kittens cute. So is the girl who initiated it. I hope the whole thing gets people more comfortable with the idea that atheists aren't monsters, and we can get to be people, too.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:ANYWHO,

Brian37 wrote:
ANYWHO, we have done quite a bit here in the states, but nothing from a single campain to this scale mentioned in the article. It would be great if all the collective atheist organizations put their heads together to do something similer here.

I absolutely agree with you on that Brian. I would love to make a splash in some big way. I also would love if it captured some of what is really going on in our community. For example, in the Michael Newdow thread, I gave a couple of examples of how we could show our support for atheism in the context of the Presidential inauguration while distancing ourselves somewhat from Newdow.

Obviously, we do not have the time to set those up but with a few weeks notice, we could have had other demonstrations going right at the same time. My favorite of the two ideas that I posted was to have Pastor Deacon Fred set up at the other end of the Mall and we could have a rally of our own. Heck but I would have been willing to offer myself up as a hard atheist willing to take the proxy oath as offered by Pastor Deacon Fred.

With the whole world watching and Michael Newdow being his usual pain in the ass self, I bet that news coverage could be had.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=