Discuss amongst yourself: Invention vs Discovery

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Discuss amongst yourself: Invention vs Discovery

I've been harping a lot lately about how matter can only behave in the way it behaves.  Cars don't randomly spew diamonds out the exhaust pipe because carbon doesn't just randomly make diamonds.  This is easy enough to grasp, but what are the implications for the concept of invention.  When we "invented" the bow and arrow, for instance, we could just as easily say that we "discovered" that when matter is arranged in a certain way, it behaves thusly.  Sure, we wrapped the string around the stick, but we are also behaving the way we do because matter is orderly and lawful.  How far can this extend before it becomes ridiculous?

Is there really any such thing as invention?  For that matter, is there really such a thing as design?  Sure, we feel as if we are consciously designing automobiles and computers, and of course within the framework of our own consciousness, we are, but within the framework that all we can ever do is discover ways that matter already works and use the existing relationships for our own purpose, is there such a thing as an invention?

More importantly, what does this line of thinking do for the concept of Intelligent Design?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

spin
spin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
You're getting too obscure for me.

Obviously.

I was trying to be a little diplomatic there. (I could just as easily have used a dysphemism.)

Hambydammit wrote:
No offense, but if you don't understand what we're talking about, isn't it a little presumptuous to suggest we're wrong?

Do you really want an answer to this? If so, you wouldn't like it. It would regard the coherence of at least the expression of your thought.

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:
Get a cat. Smiling

I'm sorry, but I can't see how your thoughts are able to get you where you'd like to go.

I have one Smiling

Mine is a constant source of non-anthropomorphic input to give me pause to think in a different manner.

Hambydammit wrote:
In all seriousness, Spin, I appreciate that you want to help, but it appears to me that you're not grasping what we're talking about.  I don't know how else to explain it, and it is apparent to me that Thomathy grasps it, so I think I'm communicating it sufficiently well for someone who understands the meanings of the individual words I'm using.

To be honest, it doesn't appear that you understand my basic proposition.  If you did, you wouldn't be answering as you are.  Does that make sense?

It makes sense to you, which is the important thing. I've already said, "I didn't see a proposition for me to agree with. Puzzled" Obviously I didn't understand a basic proposition there in the OP. Could you perhaps show me where it is? What I noticed was an apparent semantic confusion stimulated by efforts to confront the notion of intelligent design (a notion which provides a functionally meaningless understanding of the world -- through a total lack of verifiability or falsifiability).

If you can't communicate your concept to me, do you think  you'll be able to do so with a proponent of intelligent design?

spin

Trust the evidence, Luke

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:If you can't

Quote:
If you can't communicate your concept to me, do you think  you'll be able to do so with a proponent of intelligent design?

Hard to say, though I do seem to be having the same problem getting you to think outside of a set perspective that I have with most ID proponents.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Spin, are you really a

Spin, are you really a linguist?  I mean... do you have degrees in linguistics and a job in linguistics?  

Books about atheism

spin
spin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:spin

Thomathy wrote:

spin wrote:
That's a little too schizoid for me. You are not communicating in any meaningful sense; you are organizing thought. It is not a dialogue, but if you must a species of monologue: you are merely holding thoughts in order to do something with them.
The definition of communication you're working with needs expanding.

I've already done so in this thread.

Thomathy wrote:
Quote:
Actually I was whistling.
Tongue-in-cheek, I understand, but telling of a disabling narrowmindedness.

I think you miss the point about your assumptions. I am trying to tie a rope around your leg, so you don't float away.

Thomathy wrote:
Quote:
I don't accept your internalization of the communication process. You are not communicating anything: you are manipulating ideas with language.
ROFL!  Oh, I wish you understood just how funny that is.

I'm glad you got something out of it. I think you're assuming more than you should about language.

Thomathy wrote:
Quote:
[W]hat is the antecedent for it?
That your comments are 'a use-as-you-will effort'.

Then I don't see how you can have a perspective to say "Actually, I don't see it that way."

Thomathy wrote:
Quote:
I think it is. To go further, they are in fact two separate ideas which need no overlap of meaning at all.
You really don't grasp the discussion.

And you don't seem to have succeeded in communicating your ideas successfully, do you?

spin

Trust the evidence, Luke

spin
spin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Spin,

Hambydammit wrote:

Spin, are you really a linguist?  I mean... do you have degrees in linguistics and a job in linguistics?

Yup to linguist. No to job. I'm a self-sustaining soul of leisure. (Never really, to job.)

spin

Trust the evidence, Luke

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
spin wrote:What is this

spin wrote:
What is this reverie of reductionism?
That is not reductionism.

Quote:
Do you mean that a chimp can't be an intending agent??
Has a chimp been shown to be one in the same way that humans have?  You're the one who said that invention requires 'the intention to produce something not produced before'.  I don't know if chimps that make use of sticks have invented anything.  The stick, after all, has not been transformed from a stick, it's form is simply enough to achieve an ends.

Quote:
This seems to be getting worse to my mind. Perhaps you are using some extremely idiosyncratic understanding of "invention", as it represents no usage of the word that I'm familiar with. While it is an abstract act needing of intending entities it undoubtedly contains malice aforethought. For it to be a conceit requires labeling everything one does as a conceit. Hence my accusation of reductionism. You are not communicating to me. Perhaps that means I don't have access to the private wavelength you are transmitting on.
I understand you accusation and deny it.  The understanding that is being worked with is common.  Essentially, what we are trying to figure out is if 'invention' is something that actually happens.

spin wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean that you needed to expand on your definition as in elaborate on it.  I mean, literally, your definition is too narrow.

Quote:
I think you miss the point about your assumptions. I am trying to tie a rope around your leg, so you don't float away.
You've gone over my head here.

Quote:
Then I don't see how you can have a perspective to say "Actually, I don't see it that way."
I don't believe that your comments were only a 'use-as-you-will effort'.  Not that it matters anymore.  Let's forget about that, okay?

Quote:
And you don't seem to have succeeded in communicating your ideas successfully, do you?
I have been trying to do that here, in this thread.  What I seem to be failing at is communicating them successfully to you.  With that, I am fine.  You're not really adding to the essence of the conversation.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Quote:If

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Hard to say, though I do seem to be having the same problem getting you to think outside of a set perspective that I have with most ID proponents.

Tell me about it.  Also, it would be hard to tell yet, wouldn't it?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

spin
spin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:spin

Thomathy wrote:

spin wrote:
What is this reverie of reductionism?
That is not reductionism.

Quote:
Do you mean that a chimp can't be an intending agent??
Has a chimp been shown to be one in the same way that humans have?  You're the one who said that invention requires 'the intention to produce something not produced before'.  I don't know if chimps that make use of sticks have invented anything.  The stick, after all, has not been transformed from a stick, it's form is simply enough to achieve an ends.

I'll agree with most of this, but you didn't answer my question.

Thomathy wrote:
Quote:
This seems to be getting worse to my mind. Perhaps you are using some extremely idiosyncratic understanding of "invention", as it represents no usage of the word that I'm familiar with. While it is an abstract act needing of intending entities it undoubtedly contains malice aforethought. For it to be a conceit requires labeling everything one does as a conceit. Hence my accusation of reductionism. You are not communicating to me. Perhaps that means I don't have access to the private wavelength you are transmitting on.
I understand you accusation and deny it.  The understanding that is being worked with is common.  Essentially, what we are trying to figure out is if 'invention' is something that actually happens.

I don't think the majority of the population would hesitate to answer you positively. That suggests a private wavelength. Invention is a complex abstraction. To call something an invention is to reify that abstraction. This doesn't change the fact that the process of inventing in most usage of the term produces something, something actually happens.

Thomathy wrote:
spin wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean that you needed to expand on your definition as in elaborate on it.  I mean, literally, your definition is too narrow.

Then you need to explain why, as it doesn't seem so to me.

Thomathy wrote:
Quote:
You've gone over my head here.

It's an image. (You remember that early 20th c. poetic movement.) It seems to me as though you are making too much hot air and so are liable to float away. Do I need to expand? Smiling

Thomathy wrote:
Quote:
I don't believe that your comments were only a 'use-as-you-will effort'.  Not that it matters anymore.  Let's forget about that, okay?

OK. Your naughtiness is forgotten about.

Thomathy wrote:
Quote:
I have been trying to do that here, in this thread.  What I seem to be failing at is communicating them successfully to you.  With that, I am fine.  You're not really adding to the essence of the conversation.

Ahh, well. You win some. You lose some.

spin

Trust the evidence, Luke

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look, spin, at least you're

Look, spin, at least you're not dealing with A-Nony-Mouse here.

The answer to your question is, 'I don't know.'

As far as the definition of communication goes, I also include the intrapersonal sort.  I believe that is the crux of our problem as you don't think you can communicate with yourself.  I think that's a limiting use of 'communication'.  We can happily (I can, at least) disagree here.

I don't deny that something actually happens when something is 'invented'.  Obviously matter is formed to create a thing that can be used.  The contention is over whether anything is actually invented as the word is understood, I believe.

(Oh, and I know it was an image, I meant that I didn't understand what you meant by it.  Now I do.  It's okay if you think I'm 'blowing hot air'.  Let me to it and as I've said, at least this isn't a conversation with A-Nony-Mouse.)

BigUniverse wrote,

spin
spin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:As far as the

Thomathy wrote:
As far as the definition of communication goes, I also include the intrapersonal sort.  I believe that is the crux of our problem as you don't think you can communicate with yourself.  I think that's a limiting use of 'communication'.  We can happily (I can, at least) disagree here.

If I look at something, when I have a need to resolve, and I wordlessly think that that something might work for my purposes, then weigh up other things and decide that the first item is the one. Have I to your mind communicated with myself?

Thomathy wrote:
I don't deny that something actually happens when something is 'invented'.  Obviously matter is formed to create a thing that can be used.  The contention is over whether anything is actually invented as the word is understood, I believe.

You think something happens: something is formed that can be used. Use suggests intention. Does this happen due to the perception of an as yet unfulfilled need? I would suggest that is how the word is basically understood. So, something is formed to be used to fulfill an as yet unfulfilled need, ie something is actually invented. An "invention" is a reification, but the something invented isn't.

I think you're trying to float beyond the edge of the language bubble.

spin

Trust the evidence, Luke

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
spin wrote:If I look at

spin wrote:
If I look at something, when I have a need to resolve, and I wordlessly think that that something might work for my purposes, then weigh up other things and decide that the first item is the one. Have I to your mind communicated with myself?
Can you actually perform the activity wordlessly?  And even wordlessly are you sure that you are not communicating something bodily in the act of thinking that another could interpret?  It is impossible for me to believe that you could actually wordlessly look at something, think that that nameless something could work for your purposes, then weigh upon other nameless things and decide that that nameless thing is the one that can work for your purpose.  Besides all of which, 'words' would not be necessary for it to be considered internal communication.  In any case, you are communicating with yourself.  You are asking yourself a question, even wordlessly, about the possibility that this or that or the other may work for your purpose.  You have posed a problem for yourself and you work through it.  You return to yourself an answer.  You have had an internal dialogue.  You have communicated. 

Quote:
You think something happens: something is formed that can be used. Use suggests intention. Does this happen due to the perception of an as yet unfulfilled need? I would suggest that is how the word is basically understood. So, something is formed to be used to fulfill an as yet unfulfilled need, ie something is actually invented. An "invention" is a reification, but the something invented isn't.

I think you're trying to float beyond the edge of the language bubble.

I don't know what to say in response to this.  Yet.

BigUniverse wrote,

spin
spin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:spin wrote:If

Thomathy wrote:

spin wrote:
Can you actually perform the activity wordlessly?

You can make such an evaluation without words. Just play any competitive sport or make something improvised.

Thomathy wrote:
And even wordlessly are you sure that you are not communicating something bodily in the act of thinking that another could interpret?  It is impossible for me to believe that you could actually wordlessly look at something, think that that nameless something could work for your purposes, then weigh upon other nameless things and decide that that nameless thing is the one that can work for your purpose.  Besides all of which, 'words' would not be necessary for it to be considered internal communication.  In any case, you are communicating with yourself.  You are asking yourself a question, even wordlessly, about the possibility that this or that or the other may work for your purpose.  You have posed a problem for yourself and you work through it.  You return to yourself an answer.  You have had an internal dialogue.  You have communicated.

I think your definition of communication is so wide it loses utility. It seems any thinking process for you is communication.

spin

Trust the evidence, Luke

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm fed up.  Spin, much as

I'm fed up.  Spin, much as I like this tangent (which is not very much at all), I'm going to have to put an end to it.  There are subets of 'communication'.  That should be so blatantly obvious that I shouldn't have to point it out.  Clearly, internal communication would be one such subset.  Or an aspect of communication.  Whatever.  Call it glarbdinglewan if you want communication to maintain the narrow utility that you afford it.  It doesn't mean just anything.  I'm being quite specific with my use. 

Also, I have never said that all thinking exercises are communicative.  Clearly there is thinking that is not only nonlinguistic, but is also noncommunicative.  Split-second desicion making and evaluations in sports often occurr faster than the conscious mind can perceive.  In such cases I would say that no internal dialogue has taken place.  Your example was of a drawn out thinking process that could easily, and most certainly would be unavoidably, conceptualized as an internal dialogue.  That would be an act of communication.

Now, leave off it if you don't agree because I acknowledge that you don't and see that we are at an impass and I'd really like for the thread to continue in the vain that Hamby no doubt would like.  I'm very interested in that, despite your insistence that the conversation is fruitless.

BigUniverse wrote,

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yep.  Honestly, I have no

Yep.  Honestly, I have no horse in this semantic race.  It's not addressing my original proposition in any way I can discern.

Books about atheism

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Getting back to that, what

Getting back to that, what do you think of the contents of post #47?

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry I've been missing out

Sorry I've been missing out on all the fun. As far as I understand, cursing to express pain and frustation (e.g. stubbing your toe and yelling "FUCK!&quotEye-wink is a special situation. It's a more primal brain function wearing language as clothes. When you kick a dog, it yipes. When you kick a cat, it screeches. All noise-producing animals are capable of these distress calls, and that does not exclude us. However, we re-invent these stress calls. We are perfectly capable of just producing a good old-fashioned "GRRRRRRR!" upon stubbing our toe, but we can also modify the call with words borrowed from our language, which is normally used to communicate. The reason is that by incorporating offensive words into the distress call, the call becomes more abrassive and is much more likely to get attention and to shock. So it reinforces the purpose of the original call. Psycholinguistic research apparently supports this theory, linking this form of swearing to the amygdala.

So although in this situation, the point of saying the word "fuck" is not to send a message to a receiver, the word "fuck" would not exist if it had not first been invented for that purpose. It has simply been commandeered for a new situation.

*edit*

Oops, sorry. I'm supposed to be done.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Hambydammit wrote:To

Quote:
Hambydammit wrote:
To put it another way, at any given point in time, matter could go together to form a can opener.  The agent responsible for the actual making of a can opener certainly felt very self important, and it was new information to him, but can openers always were available.  Do you see what I'm getting at?  When we take anthropocentric bias out of the equation, we're just matter acting as matter acts, only in this case, matter acts in a way such that it produces critters who manipulate matter consciously.

I agree.  Virtually anything can be a can opener, if it works at performing the task I desire.  Heck, need a bottle of wine corked?  I've got a lovely edge you can smash the neck of the bottle on.  That we have a category of things called can opener is merely semantic.  Perhaps this doesn't work so simply for much more complex things... but that seems like a minor problem.

Aha!  So we also have something of a hierarchy of purpose.  That is, at least a hundred thousand various arrangements of matter will open a bottle of wine.  Quite a few less than that will open it by pulling the cork out while leaving the glass and contents basically undisturbed.  Very few kinds of arrangements of matter will transport humans across the Atlantic Ocean.

So... one of our possible deliniations might involve something we could call specificity of purpose.

Quote:
'Invention' seems to me to be a conceit of us conscious animals.  I mean, can we call the stick that fishes ants from a hole an invention of chimps?  (Spin doesn't think so)

It is a cultural phenomenon, which means it is learned by imitation.  I guess the answer to this question is if ever there has been imitation with modification, we might be able to call it invention.  I do know that orangutans living in close proximity to humans do imitate with modification, so I would assume chimps can, too.

Quote:
What about our precognisant ancestors and their tools?  I think this is what I was getting at about that initial 'invention' and the realisation therein that we can form matter to our purposes.

Heh... forget mitochondrial eve... We've got Toolman Adam.

This does pose an interesting problem, but I'd suggest that my proposition solves it by negating it as a relevant question.  That is, if invention and discovery are one in the same, there need be no question of when man first invented something.  Surely our pre-human ancestors discovered something... Hell, my cat just discovered a toy he'd lost a month ago.  He's batting it around now as if all is right in the universe.

Seriously, though.  If invention is just a subset, or even a matter of degree within discovery, there's no point in discussing humans as having any particular difference in kind -- only difference in degree.  I find this idea compelling.

Quote:
Before that recognition by our conscious ancestors can there have been any such thing as discovery or invention except in retrospect?

Is discovery ever anything except in retrospect?

Quote:
Certainly they had purposes, but does invention require conscious admittance that something is being created for a specific purpose?

Speaking of repeating... If we say that evolution invents better anthills by selecting better anthill building ants, then no.

Books about atheism

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
hamby wrote:Aha!  So we

hamby wrote:

Aha!  So we also have something of a hierarchy of purpose.  That is, at least a hundred thousand various arrangements of matter will open a bottle of wine.  Quite a few less than that will open it by pulling the cork out while leaving the glass and contents basically undisturbed.  Very few kinds of arrangements of matter will transport humans across the Atlantic Ocean.

So... one of our possible deliniations might involve something we could call specificity of purpose.

I was reading a book this morning, and the author at one point remarked that "necessity is the mother of invention", and it immediately made me think of this thread.

Maybe I'm saying what has already been said a thousand times, but invention does appear to have a "necessity" quality to it, whereas discovery does not. So maybe "invention" is synonymous with "applied discovery".

I kind of like the "applied discovery" version, since it doesn't require us to be anthropocentric or to argue about instinctual versus non-instinctual and yet we still arrive at a difference between discovery and invention.

At this point, a creationist might want to try some shady argumentation, asking whether this means that all creatures, according to evolution, are inventors of themselves, since they have applied certain discoveries about which anatomical features are successful, ultimately inventing new or better anatomical features, ultimately inventing new or better creatures.

I'm sure they'd find a more cunning and slippery and misleading way of saying it to make it sound even MORE like invention. But it obviously isn't, since applying discovery requires a conscious effort, regardless of whether the discovery is being applied by instinct or not. It is reproduction and death that guide evolution, and so therefore, nothing about any animal has been "invented".

And as far as the natural world goes, we can make discoveries all the time about the natural world. We can point to our own inventions and call them inventions because we can point to their purpose and how they were made for that purpose and what discoveries were applied to achieve that purpose. However, we can't point to the sun and say that it was invented for a specific purpose. So maybe you were right to draw a distinction along the lines of specificity of purpose. We can't say that the sun exists in order to achieve some end, because there is nothing about the sun that suggests it is guided by certain principles that give it a specific purpose. It certainly DOES things. All matter and all chemical reactions can DO things. But there is nothing to suggest that the sun is operating on APPLIED PRINCIPLES in order to do any of the things it does. The fact that the sun just happens to help out us creatures on Earth is happenstance. Carbon helps a fire, but that is no indication that carbon was "invented" for the purpose of helping fire. So specificity of purpose is a good line of thinking. Maybe there is another factor that distinguishes the two based on whether or not principles have been consciously applied.

There is some grey area with the "applied principles" thing, though... for example, if I pour a bunch of chemicals together to make a new window cleaner, I have applied principles, and yet have I invented a chemical or discovered one? Specificity of purpose helps here. Applied principles perhaps not so much.

But I think some of this is only another way of restating the gist of what you have been saying all along, isn't it?

So maybe I'm just being redundant. Ah well.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like the "applied

I like the "applied discovery"

Couldn't it be said that something is discovered and then out of necessity we discover a use for that something?

Ever since I read this thread everything I use during the day I find me asking myself... invention? ... A specific placement of items together to create something to help me?... An accidental discovery of an items usefullness?...

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
examples

I would like to list a few examples:

Discovery: Fire

Inventions: Torches, Stoves, Kilns, Lamps, Fireplace

Another example:

Discovery: Reflection

Invention: Mirror, Prismatic Mirror

I'm seeing that a discovery is an observation, and that an invention is a way of repeating/inducing the phenomenon to suit the needs/wants of the inventor.  I think that invention depends also on making successive discoveries.

A mirror can be a bowl of water.  Primative mirrors were most likely of this type and they weren't very useful until someone figured out how to make flat sheets of gold or copper.  Then someone figured out how to coat a piece of glass with aluminium or silver.  Future mirrors may be made of yet to be discovered nanotech particles optimised to reflect 99.999% of EM energy.

There's the old adage that necessity is the mother of invention.  So I say that discovery is about paying attention and observing some phenomenon (somewhat accidentally being in the right place at the right time), and invention is chaining together the new discovery with previous discoveries to solve a problem i.e. a fireplace solves the problem of freezing to death on a frigid day.

Hamby, are you just essentially saying that humanity has already discovered just about everything about the Universe and we are starting to repeat ourselves with our inventions?

Remember how you figured out there is no Santa? Well, their god is just like Santa. They just haven’t figured out he’s not real yet.

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some may argue that the Sun

Some may argue that the Sun perhaps was invented/created/made by a god to allow for life on Earth.  If I were designing such an arrangement, i would have also made a control system, perhaps a feedback loop, to adjust the output of the Sun so that it always put out the optimal amount of radiation.  As far as I know, such a system has never been discovered or observed.

Remember how you figured out there is no Santa? Well, their god is just like Santa. They just haven’t figured out he’s not real yet.

spin
spin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Invent/Discover

TomJ wrote:

Another example:

Discovery: my crotch is itchy

Invention: hand-operated crotch-scratcher, battery-operated crotch-scratcher, anti-inflammatory crotch cream.

Discovery: it's time to make some more money from Trap Door 1.0

Invention: Trap Door 1.1

Invention is stimulated not necessarily by discovery at all, but by need or desired end product. The relationship between the two notions simply hasn't been established.

I've tried to componentialize the ideas and I'll try again:

Invent[agent(human1), new product, means] =

conceive[experiencer(human1), need] ->

design[agent(human1), new concept, product plan] ->

construct[agent(human1), new product, means]

Discover[observer, new fact]

Not very similar, are they?

spin

Trust the evidence, Luke

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
spin wrote:TomJ wrote:I

spin wrote:

TomJ wrote:

Another example:

Invention: hand-operated crotch-scratcher, battery-operated crotch-scratcher, anti-inflammatory crotch cream.

I see a false analogy here. Whereas TomJ was listing as his discoveries observations that could be used as principles in invention, the reply lists an observation that identifies a problem the invention can solve. To make the analogy more true, you'd have to list an invention that puts the itchiness of your crotch to use. Perhaps some kind of futuristic itch ray that uses your crotch problem as ammunition. Worst case scenario, you just invented the crab gun! Oh noes!

Quote:

Once again this example shifts the meaning of "observation" to identifying a problem that needs to be solved or a need and away from identifying a principle that can possibly be harnessed or put to use.

Quote:

Invention is stimulated not necessarily by discovery at all, but by need or desired end product.

That much I will agree with you on completely. A mere discovery does not lead to an invention. In order for invention to happen, there must first be a need.

Quote:

The relationship between the two notions simply hasn't been established.

But I think it more or less has.

Discovery does not lead to invention, because invention requires need.

Once you have a need, you are ready to begin inventing.

However, you cannot begin inventing until you have arrived at a concept built upon certain principles. These principles are only known to you via discovery (yours or someone else's).

spin
spin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Invent/Discover (2)

Archeopteryx wrote:

spin wrote:

TomJ wrote:

Another example:

I see a false analogy here. Whereas TomJ was listing as his discoveries observations that could be used as principles in invention, the reply lists an observation that identifies a problem the invention can solve. To make the analogy more true, you'd have to list an invention that puts the itchiness of your crotch to use. Perhaps some kind of futuristic itch ray that uses your crotch problem as ammunition. Worst case scenario, you just invented the crab gun! Oh noes!

There seems to be a glimmer of your dawning perception of what I was actually saying.

Archeopteryx wrote:
Quote:

Once again this example shifts the meaning of "observation" to identifying a problem that needs to be solved or a need and away from identifying a principle that can possibly be harnessed or put to use.

Perhaps now you'll see that that I was pointing out (as I went on to do in the post you responded to) that there is no necessary relationship between "discover" and "invent".

Archeopteryx wrote:
Quote:

Invention is stimulated not necessarily by discovery at all, but by need or desired end product.

That much I will agree with you on completely. A mere discovery does not lead to an invention. In order for invention to happen, there must first be a need.

There need not be a discovery in the  normal sense at all.

Archeopteryx wrote:
Quote:
The relationship between the two notions simply hasn't been established.

But I think it more or less has.

Sorry, but case not made.

Archeopteryx wrote:

However, you cannot begin inventing until you have arrived at a concept built upon certain principles. These principles are only known to you via discovery (yours or someone else's).

You should have learnt through my examples regarding Discovery/Invention that no discovery is needed at all. My patented solar-powered crotch-scratcher required no discovery whatsoever, so while discovery can motivate invention there is no necessary relation between the two notions. Negating or demoting the agent role in invention will have no effect on intelligent design. The issues lie elsewhere in things like assumption of conclusion. Science happily admits that there are things it just doesn't know. If science doesn't know the cause, is there any reason to believe that non-science has any ability to know the cause? Omitting the epistemological problem, this is where one assumes one's conclusion: let's postulate an intelligent designer to explain what science is currently unable to explain. The postulation of said intelligent designer is a purely linguistic act, which can be neither verified or falsified in the real (hence non-linguistic) world.

spin

Trust the evidence, Luke

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
spin wrote:There seems to be

spin wrote:

There seems to be a glimmer of your dawning perception of what I was actually saying.

Perhaps now you'll see that that I was pointing out (as I went on to do in the post you responded to) that there is no necessary relationship between "discover" and "invent".

I'm aware that this is what you are saying. I'm just disagreeing with it. Well, partly.

Discovery does not depend in any way on invention. But invention does, in the long run, depend on discovery. So there is a relationship, but the dependence only goes one way.

Spin wrote:

Archeopteryx wrote:

You should have learnt through my examples regarding Discovery/Invention that no discovery is needed at all. My patented solar-powered crotch-scratcher required no discovery whatsoever, so while discovery can motivate invention there is no necessary relation between the two notions.

You don't seem to understand or want to accept that your patented crotch-scratcher does, in fact, depend on discovery. It doesn't necessarily require you, the inventor of the crotch-scratcher, to make any discoveries, but in order for there to be a crotch-scratcher, you have to build the crotch-scratcher concept upon certain principles. Those principles would not be known to you unless they had, at some point in the past, been discovered by someone.

For example, you specifically mentioned that it was solar-powered. Didn't someone have to discover, at some point in the past, that solar-energy could be harnessed as a viable power source? Hence, solar-energy is a discovered principle that can be applied to inventions.

Even if your crotch-scratcher was as simple as a stick you found in the yard, you would still be basing its use as a scratcher upon certain principles that you or someone else had to discover. Otherwise, its use as a scratcher never would have occurred to you in the first place.

I would agree that discovery does not always inspire invention. Just because I discover something, it doesn't mean that invention will result. I may simply say, "that's neat" and get on with my life. But since discovery does not depend upon a relationship with invention, that is not saying much.

But whenever anyone is inventing anything, certain principles, and therefore certain discoveries, are definitely being applied; otherwise, there could not possibly be invention.

Hence, a non-mutual relationship, but a relationship just the same.

spin
spin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote:spin

Archeopteryx wrote:

spin wrote:

I'm aware that this is what you are saying. I'm just disagreeing with it. Well, partly.

Discovery does not depend in any way on invention. But invention does, in the long run, depend on discovery. So there is a relationship, but the dependence only goes one way.

That sounds well supported.

Archeopteryx wrote:
Spin wrote:

Archeopteryx wrote:

You should have learnt through my examples regarding Discovery/Invention that no discovery is needed at all. My patented solar-powered crotch-scratcher required no discovery whatsoever, so while discovery can motivate invention there is no necessary relation between the two notions.

You don't seem to understand or want to accept that your patented crotch-scratcher does, in fact, depend on discovery. It doesn't necessarily require you, the inventor of the crotch-scratcher, to make any discoveries, but in order for there to be a crotch-scratcher, you have to build the crotch-scratcher concept upon certain principles. Those principles would not be known to you unless they had, at some point in the past, been discovered by someone.

Deep. I guess if your great grandfather hadn't discovered that thing for the woman who became your great grandmother, you'd never have invented this profound rationale. Come on: be reasonable.

Archeopteryx wrote:
For example, you specifically mentioned that it was solar-powered. Didn't someone have to discover, at some point in the past, that solar-energy could be harnessed as a viable power source? Hence, solar-energy is a discovered principle that can be applied to inventions.

Even if your crotch-scratcher was as simple as a stick you found in the yard, you would still be basing its use as a scratcher upon certain principles that you or someone else had to discover. Otherwise, its use as a scratcher never would have occurred to you in the first place.

I would agree that discovery does not always inspire invention. Just because I discover something, it doesn't mean that invention will result. I may simply say, "that's neat" and get on with my life. But since discovery does not depend upon a relationship with invention, that is not saying much.

But whenever anyone is inventing anything, certain principles, and therefore certain discoveries, are definitely being applied; otherwise, there could not possibly be invention.

Reductionism seems a little endemic here in this thread. If you go back far enough with the elastic limit for your idea of discovery, you might be able to say that god was the first cause motivating the discovery.

Perhaps in your mind all gaining of knowledge is discovery, but that renders "discovery" void of any useful extra semantic content.

Archeopteryx wrote:

Sorry, you didn't get there. But it was nice to say as a conclusion despite lack of rationale, right?

spin

Trust the evidence, Luke

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Spin wrote:That sounds well

Spin wrote:

Let's not cross our purposes. I'm not doing science in here and I don't for an instant expect to arrive at "the answer", and I don't for an instant suppose that I have it. Everything here  about the distinction between invention/discovery is speculation from the armchair.

spin wrote:

Archeopteryx wrote:

Deep. I guess if your great grandfather hadn't discovered that thing for the woman who became your great grandmother, you'd never have invented this profound rationale. Come on: be reasonable.

I think you should follow your own advice. You appear to have a habit of strawmanning those you're disagreeing with. I don't know if it's intentional or if the ideas aren't being communicated to you well enough or something else, but it's certainly not helping.

Here you've strawmanned me by implying that invention for me is impossible unless my great grandfather made a discovery that I could build an invention upon. I'm not proposing anything so ridiculous as that. Look, if I want to build a machine that is solar-powered, it doesn't require me to discover solar energy. It doesn't require my great grandfather to discover it. It doesn't even require anyone I have ever known to discover it. It only requires one person, somewhere, to discover solar energy and then submit that discovery into the general pool of knowledge that everyone has access to. After that point, if I learn about solar energy by reading about it in a library, I am not making a discovery. However, I couldn't be reading about it if some person had not discovered it. And so even though the particular discovery (of solar energy) was a completely separate event from the invention of my solar-powered machine, the invention still required the discovery.

I like that you mentioned that the ideas I'm proposing could be considered an invention. It's true, and I don't think non-physical invention has been considered in this thread yet, so it was important to bring up. Still, I suspect it fits within the "applied discovery" explanation of invention. An invented idea seems to me to be just as much built upon existing principles as a physical invention.

Spin wrote:

Reductionism seems a little endemic here in this thread. If you go back far enough with the elastic limit for your idea of discovery, you might be able to say that god was the first cause motivating the discovery.

I really don't see how that is in any way related to what I'm trying to communicate, nor how it is a possible implication, but that could be my fault as a speaker rather than yours as a listener.

Spin wrote:

Perhaps in your mind all gaining of knowledge is discovery, but that renders "discovery" void of any useful extra semantic content.

No, I wouldn't go as far as to say that discovery boils down to mere acquisition of knowledge. "Discovery" would have to be reserved for situations like talking about the first person known to have acquired a certain bit of knowledge. (Or at least the  person thought to have been the first one.)

Spin wrote:

Sorry, you didn't get there. But it was nice to say as a conclusion despite lack of rationale, right?

Again, I'm not supposing for a moment that I've arrived anywhere. I'm not pretending to have the conclusion to this conversation. This thread is a fun, ongoing activity as far as I'm concerned.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
And spin is trying to ruin

And spin is trying to ruin it for everyone by bringing up inane objections, accussations of reductionism (of what sort?), and so much semantic quibbling. 

Spin, we know you disagree.  We have read your objections before.  You are repeating yourself.  It is not heplful.  It is unwarrented.  Can you please stop?  If you don't want to add to the discussion and instead detract from its moving forward in any meaningful way for those involved, can you not just stop posting in this thread?  I don't see how you have anything to gain or anything to loose by just stepping away.  So, please, do.

BigUniverse wrote,

spin
spin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote:Spin

Archeopteryx wrote:

Spin wrote:

Let's not cross our purposes. I'm not doing science in here and I don't for an instant expect to arrive at "the answer", and I don't for an instant suppose that I have it. Everything here  about the distinction between invention/discovery is speculation from the armchair.

Nothing comes of nothing. Speak again.

Archeopteryx wrote:
spin wrote:

Archeopteryx wrote:

I think you should follow your own advice. You appear to have a habit of strawmanning those you're disagreeing with. I don't know if it's intentional or if the ideas aren't being communicated to you well enough or something else, but it's certainly not helping.

Here you've strawmanned me by implying that invention for me is impossible unless my great grandfather made a discovery that I could build an invention upon. I'm not proposing anything so ridiculous as that.

Doh! Neither did I.

I try to point out the extremely wide nature of your use of "discovery" and you simply miss the point. Don't go spasmodic about strawmen.

Archeopteryx wrote:
Look, if I want to build a machine that is solar-powered, it doesn't require me to discover solar energy. It doesn't require my great grandfather to discover it. It doesn't even require anyone I have ever known to discover it. It only requires one person, somewhere, to discover solar energy and then submit that discovery into the general pool of knowledge that everyone has access to. After that point, if I learn about solar energy by reading about it in a library, I am not making a discovery. However, I couldn't be reading about it if some person had not discovered it. And so even though the particular discovery (of solar energy) was a completely separate event from the invention of my solar-powered machine, the invention still required the discovery.

Repetitive reductionism. I have knowledge. If I use that knowledge to invent something, you'll claim that I'm just sublimating the discovery. And I'll claim that you've wasted a perfectly good word by removing its content.

I can't see my itchy crotch, so I guess I'll need something hooked in order to reach it. I'll make it out of a somewhat flexible material because I don't want to risk damaging my crotch, but it must be solid enough not to ineffectual. Etc. Discovery? None.

Archeopteryx wrote:
I like that you mentioned that the ideas I'm proposing could be considered an invention. It's true, and I don't think non-physical invention has been considered in this thread yet, so it was important to bring up. Still, I suspect it fits within the "applied discovery" explanation of invention. An invented idea seems to me to be just as much built upon existing principles as a physical invention.

(I didn't think it would help us either way, just add a further layer of layer of complexity. Unless  you realoly need to go there, I'd guess we needn't deal with it.)

Archeopteryx wrote:
Spin wrote:

I really don't see how that is in any way related to what I'm trying to communicate, nor how it is a possible implication, but that could be my fault as a speaker rather than yours as a listener.

It was an observation extrapolated from your reductionism with the term "discovery" and at least one other example in this thread.

Archeopteryx wrote:
Spin wrote:

No, I wouldn't go as far as to say that discovery boils down to mere acquisition of knowledge. "Discovery" would have to be reserved for situations like talking about the first person known to have acquired a certain bit of knowledge. (Or at least the  person thought to have been the first one.)

Yet for the inventor it could simply be acquisition of knowledge, ie the inventor in such a case made no discovery whatsoever, right?

Archeopteryx wrote:
Spin wrote:
Archeopteryx wrote:

Again, I'm not supposing for a moment that I've arrived anywhere. I'm not pretending to have the conclusion to this conversation. This thread is a fun, ongoing activity as far as I'm concerned.

Umm, "hence" points to a logical conclusion. You were attempting to put forward an argument of sorts which ended up at that "hence". The evaluation of that argument led to why I said "you didn't get there". Your last statements seem to be rejecting  your own logical progression.

spin

Trust the evidence, Luke

spin
spin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote: And spin is

Thomathy wrote:

And spin is trying to ruin it for everyone by bringing up inane objections, accussations of reductionism (of what sort?), and so much semantic quibbling.

You're free to conjecture, but you know that says very little.

Thomathy wrote:
Spin, we know you disagree.

I know you know, you know?

Thomathy wrote:
We have read your objections before.

From your reactions, you haven't displayed the fact.

Thomathy wrote:
You are repeating yourself.

I was speaking to someone else. And I said I was partially repeating material.

Thomathy wrote:
It is not heplful.

You've made that clear from your lack of suitable reaction.

Thomathy wrote:
It is unwarrented.  Can you please stop?

As I wasn't talking to you in the post you are responding to, you shouldn't be so presumptuous. Archeopteryx was discussing issues with me.

Thomathy wrote:
If you don't want to add to the discussion and instead detract from its moving forward in any meaningful way for those involved, can you not just stop posting in this thread?  I don't see how you have anything to gain or anything to loose by just stepping away.  So, please, do.

All you need do, once you've got to this point, is ignore what I've written and deal with the people who want to talk with you about what you want to talk about. It is frequent that threads develop subthreads. You don't have to drop your bundle when someone in the thread isn't talking about what you want to talk about. Shocked

Please be nice.

spin

Trust the evidence, Luke

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Condescension doesn't make

Condescension doesn't make for a fitful response to my post, but it does make you look childish.  Look, you're obviously able to continue to post in this thread, I was only asking you not to because I don't see a point to your involvement.  There is nothing I can do about your choice.  Now, since you don't appear to have any intention of doing so, I suppose I can ignore you.  Still, I'd much rather you ignored the thread.

BigUniverse wrote,

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm also a bit put off by

I'm also a bit put off by what I see as unwarranted condescension from you, Spin. The thread didn't take an uncivil turn until your entrance. Maybe it's unintentional, or maybe something was said to you first that started you off on this tone and I just haven't seen it, but you put off an extremely thick vibe of condescension and mean-spirited provocation.

I suppose I'll take this opportunity to back out. You can call it whining if you wish, and you're more than welcome to declare a victory if you like; it makes no difference to me. But the conversation has simply entered a place that is no longer fun or particularly civil; and it is because of the tone and not the intellectual content that the thread has lost its original appeal. I'm sure there is someone else around who is more compatible with the ongoing style of disagreement, but I refuse to further participate. And so, even though it surely earns me quitter status or what have you, I'm out until further notice.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yeah.  I'm going to

Yeah.  I'm going to agree.  I started this thread in the spirit of exploration, and I feel like it's had a wet blanket thrown over it.  I don't think that anyone has made any pronouncements.  We've just been toying with ideas.  I'm sorry, Spin, that you don't like or agree with or understand (whatever the case is) what we're talking about, but it's honestly a pain in the ass that you are hijacking the thread with repeat assertions of your opinion.  Is it too much to ask that you let us toy with these ideas without you continually pointing out that you neither understand nor agree with them?

Books about atheism

spin
spin's picture
User is offlineOffline
13 hours too slow

Oh, look. You posted an idea. I complained about someone's statement, indicating my comment was a tangent, so then I get drawn into a discussion with three different posters. And I responded to each of them. After one rude post about condescension from a non-stop condescension artist, I decided that there was no communication possible there. Archeopteryx piped up 4 hours later. Finally, you, not having noticed that I hadn't re-entered the conversation, decided 13 hours too late that you'd have a whinge as well.

I complained about there being no necessary overlap between the semantic fields of the two words you were analyzing. I attempted to do this by looking at the component ideas of the terms. You didn't acknowledge or criticize; you basically restated your starting notion: "[i]nvention can be said to be a subset of discovery". OK. I get the idea now.

spin

Trust the evidence, Luke

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Finally, you, not

Quote:
Finally, you, not having noticed that I hadn't re-entered the conversation, decided 13 hours too late that you'd have a whinge as well.

Pardon me for not being on the forums 24/7.

Quote:
You didn't acknowledge or criticize; you basically restated your starting notion: "[i]nvention can be said to be a subset of discovery". OK. I get the idea now.

Um... ok.  Isn't restating a form of acknowledgement?  

You have the idea, so apparently restatement worked.  Whatever.  Seriously.  I'm going to play with some other toys for a while.  I'm over this.

Books about atheism

spin
spin's picture
User is offlineOffline
The idea

Hambydammit wrote:
You have the idea, so apparently restatement worked.

I see it didn't dawn on you what idea you gave. (Waving smilie here.)

spin

Trust the evidence, Luke

Susac
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I haven't read the whole

I haven't read the whole post (I've got homework I have to get to), but I tend to think of this topic this way:

Invention - the process of combining existing resources to create something new.  So for the bow and arrow, you have a stick and a leather strap, and you combine them to create a bow.  It is a primarily combinatorial process.

Discovery - the process of realizing something true about the universe.  For example that a bent stick stores energy - the principal behind the bow.

Inventions lead to new discoveries, and new discoveries lead to new inventions (like the telescope lead to the discovery of the moons of Jupiter, which lead to a heliocentric worldview which in turn lead to the invention of space flight).

Note that these ideas apply themselves to social constructs as well.  Language is a combination of sounds, meanings and metaphor.  Institutions are a combination of roles and processes.  Philosophers discovered that human greed and lust for power is an innate human trait.  They solved social problems by using this discovery to invent a system of checks and balances through the separation of powers.   Civil rights are an invention built on the discovery that if you build certain boundary conditions into a government system it functions better.

and on an on.

This is how I think about it at any rate.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I still don't understand

I still don't understand Spin's quibble with communication. If communication is the "imparting or exchange of thoughts, opinions, and/or information," then language clearly exists solely for communication. For your response, you stated,

Spin wrote:
Language in fact has numerous reasons to exist, expression of emotion and physical states, means of control, ordering the world for yourself, lying, entertainment, companionship, etc.]

But, these are all effects or categories of communication. You even applied the word "expression," which, in this sentence, could literally be replaced by communication and still hold the same meaning. Language communicates emotional and physical states, it is a viable means of control through effective communication. When you lie, you communicate. When you are entertained by language, someone is expertly communicating it to you in a particular way. You and your parents/spouse/friend create a feeling of companionship through proficient communication.

You also wrote,

Spin wrote:
So, if I make a mistake and then say "fuck!", what communication can you seriously imagine there is in that?

That's easy! If you are trying to pay your taxes and have discovered that you incorrectly calculated some obscure income about a page earlier, then "fuck," among many other things, shows frustration with the task at hand. In another example, if you stubbed your toe on the bottom of a couch, then "fuck" can also express pain.

Spin wrote:
For me communication involves at least two participants, at least one of each being a transmitter of language and the other being a receiver.

Sure, but that's doesn't seem to be the dictionary definition of the word communication. 

Furthermore, based on this defiinition, whether exclaiming "fuck" is communication seems to rest solely on whether another human was in the room when you stubbed your toe. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Furthermore, based

Quote:
Furthermore, based on this defiinition, whether exclaiming "fuck" is communication seems to rest solely on whether another human was in the room when you stubbed your toe.

(Hijack alert)

(Hmmm... can I hijack m own thread?)

(Get to the point, Hambydammit...)

The tree falling in the forest is, IMHO, the quintessential example of a lie repeated enough that it becomes truth.  Sound, kids, is vibration.  Ears are sound detection devices.  That thing in our head that we call a sound?  It's an interpretation of the vibrations that existed whether or not we were there to perceive them.

Yes, a tree falling in the forest makes a sound regardless of the presence of ears, and yes, the exclamation uttered without a hearer is communication.

Books about atheism

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

(Hijack alert)

(Hmmm... can I hijack m own thread?)

(Get to the point, Hambydammit...)

The tree falling in the forest is, IMHO, the quintessential example of a lie repeated enough that it becomes truth.  Sound, kids, is vibration.  Ears are sound detection devices.  That thing in our head that we call a sound?  It's an interpretation of the vibrations that existed whether or not we were there to perceive them.

Yes, a tree falling in the forest makes a sound regardless of the presence of ears, and yes, the exclamation uttered without a hearer is communication.

No, Hamby!  No!  How dare you upset convention so!  Damnit!  There's someone else with a cat avatar who's going to make you pay!  You'll rue this day!  Mark it!  Mark it well!

BigUniverse wrote,

Balkoth
User is offlineOffline
Numbers?

A thought: numbers.

Let's say I have a bowl with apples in it.  Specifically, there's an apple, an apple, and another apple.

Most people would condense that and simply say there are three apples, right?  But is "three" an invention?

Note that I'm not talking about the actual quantity.  An apple, an apple, and another apple is always an apple, an apple, and another apple regardless.  But we decided to call that "three."  Or "tres."  Insert other languages here.

Did we invent the word "three?"  It seems we didn't discover it, as the apples are always the apples are always the apples.  But did we invent a term for describing the situation?

Hambydammit: I think the point you were trying to make about ID might have been something like this: if everything is discovered and not invented, then nothing was designed per se.  If nothing was designed, how does one argue for ID (aka design inherent in everything due to something)?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I've

Hambydammit wrote:

I've been harping a lot lately about how matter can only behave in the way it behaves.  Cars don't randomly spew diamonds out the exhaust pipe because carbon doesn't just randomly make diamonds.  This is easy enough to grasp, but what are the implications for the concept of invention.  When we "invented" the bow and arrow, for instance, we could just as easily say that we "discovered" that when matter is arranged in a certain way, it behaves thusly.  Sure, we wrapped the string around the stick, but we are also behaving the way we do because matter is orderly and lawful.  How far can this extend before it becomes ridiculous?

Is there really any such thing as invention?  For that matter, is there really such a thing as design?  Sure, we feel as if we are consciously designing automobiles and computers, and of course within the framework of our own consciousness, we are, but within the framework that all we can ever do is discover ways that matter already works and use the existing relationships for our own purpose, is there such a thing as an invention?

More importantly, what does this line of thinking do for the concept of Intelligent Design?

The way I see it, the seperation between invention and discovery is as thin a line as the seperation between art and function.

Movies, books(fiction), music = invention = art.

Wheel, pulley, lever, books(non-fiction) = discovery = function.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would classify invention

I would classify invention as meta-discovery. That is to say, discovering ways to combine previous discoveries to achieve specific results.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I would classify

Quote:
I would classify invention as meta-discovery. That is to say, discovering ways to combine previous discoveries to achieve specific results.

I'm going to spend a while thinking about this.  It's concise and easily understood.  If it also happens to be accurate...

Books about atheism