Pressure and the media

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Pressure and the media

A quote in the erotic image thread inspired my to create this one since I think it deserves it's own topic.

The quote:

JillSwift wrote:

You're personalizing the ads, then objecting to them. I really don't know why you can't see that. No one is telling you how to dress or act, they are instead making use of evolutionary psychology to make a pleasurable association between thier ads and sex. The rest is just side-effects.

Bold/underline mine

Now, I was born in '85, so I grew up in the 90's.

Now, guess who my role models were?

Yep, Britney Spear, Jessica Simpson etc... Now guess how they dressed?

Now, guess who was the main demographic for pop music?

Young Females.

The record companies were of course aware of this.  They tried to portray, say Britney, as somebody you might want to be. The 'sweet girl next door' image. This, was obviously a ploy by the record company (Britney probably made squat in terms of  how she was marketed..)  I didn't even know, until my brother pointed it out to me.

So there I was looking up to her, and guess what? I wanted to be like her, like say, dress like her.Because if I didn't, I wouldn't be like her, I wouldn't be popular. I snapped out of it when my brother said she was a marketing tool.

Let me put this another way. If the female role models weren't mostly air heads who dressed that way, but were, say, promoting math/science?

No, math/science weren't "sexy" enough.  That's just for dorks and dweebs.

See what this is portraying? You don't have to be smart, you just have to look good, I mean name me one female pop star that isn't drop dead gorgeous.

I was interested in math/science, still am, that in high school made me a dweeb.

Watch a perfermance by the Pussycat Dolls. Notice the audience is mostly young females? You think what the Pussycat Dolls do/say and how they act/dress doesn't have an effect on the people buying their albums/watching their videos?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow.Ok, Captain;The original

Wow.

Ok, Captain;

The original thread was about sex in advertising. My statement stands, they are not telling you what to do, they are using psychology to their advantage. Their imagery is no more relevant to your life than you allow it to be.

This new subject is related, but not directly so. Marketing bands and stars to young folks is also a matter of psychology - it's the selling of a trend/fad to a bunch of kids who have not yet learned how to resist/be skeptical of the media, and who are very much concerned with social cohesion (fitting in).

But, as you demonstrated in your own life, no one has to fall for that crap. All it takes is informing kids of how the marketing works.

So, if you care to argue that the marketing is advancing some bad ideas and stereotypes, I am right there with you. It's BS from one end to the other.

However, if you want to claim that what influence they do have is equal to a command over thier target demographic: No. I'm sorry but that's simply untrue.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
So you’re saying you

So you’re saying you don’t like the way pop culture idealizes women for traits other then knowledge, and intelligence?  That seems reasonable enough.  I don’t think pop culture shows knowledge and intelligence in a positive light for either sex.  For example have you ever watched the show jackass?  Not much knowledge and intelligence portrayed in that show. Our culture (I’m assuming were talking about western culture) doesn’t seem to place much value on these characteristics.  If you were able to remake pop culture in any way you want how would it be different? 

[Edit: Changed portrays into portrayed]

Ubermensch
Ubermensch's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:See what

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

See what this is portraying? You don't have to be smart, you just have to look good, I mean name me one female pop star that isn't drop dead gorgeous.

Britney Spears.

Scientific illiteracy is reality illiteracy.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It's interesting to me

It's interesting to me that the majority of complaints about "media pressure" I ever hear almost unanimously come from females, but I'm not immediately convinced that this is entirely because the media is ONLY unfair TO females. This is not to say that their complaints are not warranted or that there is equal pressure from the media on both males and females. I would only point out that there is pressure on males, too. I'm reminded of the internet famous gender poem (of which there are many variations):

Quote:

For every woman who is tired of acting weak when she knows she is strong, there is a man who is tired of appearing strong when he feels vulnerable.

For every woman who is tired of acting dumb, there is a man who is burdened with the constant expectation of "knowing everything".

For every woman who is tired of being called "an emotional female," there is a man who is afraid to be gentle or to weep.

For every woman who is called unfeminine when she competes, there is a man for whom competition is the only way to prove his masculinity.

For every woman facing the ad industry's attacks on her self-esteem, there is a man struggling to not let advertising dictate his desires.

For every woman who feels "tied down" by her children, there is a man who is denied the full pleasures of shared parenthood.

For every woman who is denied meaningful employment or equal pay, there is a man who must bear full financial responsibility for another human being.

For every woman who wants to throw her oven out the window, there is a man who wishes he was taught how to use one.

For every woman who takes a step toward her own liberation, there is a man who finds the way to freedom has been made a little easier.

I think there is some degree of pressure on both genders, though again I'm not saying there is necessarily an equal balance. I don't know at all how it balances out. But I think there is a psychological difference between the way males and females react to pressures like these.

For example, put your average woman in line at the bank and have the man behind her check out her ass. Most would wager that, most often, the woman's reaction would be to feel uncomfortable or to take offense.

Put a man in the same bank line and have a woman check out his ass, regardless of how attractive he finds her, and nine times out of ten the man's response will be along the lines of "Yeah, baby, you like it."

I've also noticed that it has long been an acceptable trend, especially among female comedians, to criticize the intelligence of males in general. Men generally don't seem to care. They'll even laugh about the joke and high five each other as if to say, "Yeah! That's us! The stupid ones! WoOoOooo!" I'm not sure I've ever witnessed an instance of any program, advertisement, or comedian calling the intelligence of females in general into question and getting away with it. I think, per above, this is probably because males enjoy it when their stupidity is acknowledged because of the pressure to be the "knower" and females enjoy it because of their desire to be recognized as people who are equally capable of knowing things.

I guess my point is that I'm of the impression that there is a general pressure struggle going on that isn't exclusively about sexuality, but is about gender expectations in general, and it ultimately goes both ways. Looking at society today versus forty or fifty years ago, it seems we've made some progress as far as rebelling against those pressures.

It seems that men generally don't raise a fuss about media pressure the way women seem to, though; and I'm curious as to why that might be. I think part of it is probably psychological, since men seem to be more passive, which is not necessarily a good thing. (Just look at the way men and women argue with each other.) But I also wonder if men, due to the whole pressure to be be "head of the household" or "wear the big pants" or however you want to look at it, have a different way of resisting advertising than females, which is to largely ignore it. I was actually just listening to a report on NPR the other day about how ad boutiques are freaking out a little bit over the fact that printed and television advertising are statistically very ineffective anymore.

So I wonder if males resist advertising pressure by being stubborn and ignoring advertising, while females resist advertising pressure by questioning the ethics of its content.

Ubermensch wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Britney Spears.

Haha, awesome. Actually, this is a good opportunity for me to throw out my own feelings.

Paris Hilton: Not fucking hot. She looks like a bird-woman.

But the biggest alleged "celebrity hottie" I have NEVER been able to understand: Drew Barrymore?!

I have honestly never been able to figure out where this rumor came from that she is sexy. It baffles me. I find her about as sexy as Oprah (though not as annoying or evil, obviously.)

Personally, I think almost anyone could look hot with a fake tan, a photoshoot, and a few swishes from the corrective air brush. (I mean, take Adriana Lima for example. Super sexy in photoshoot, but have you ever seen a high-resolution, non-air-brushed photo? The make-up gets thicker than the skin on her face sometimes!)

I prefer the beauty and sexiness on my women the same way I prefer the boobs on my women: all natural. I don't want to have to wash my face after every make-out.

So while I do totally stare at fake airbrushed photos, I know their fake. (Hell, I'm comfortable saying Jessica Rabbit is hot, and how are girls supposed to mimic that?) It's much more impressive to me if girls are still good looking without the clown make-up.

Now if only I myself weren't so ugly. Eye-wink

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:The original

JillSwift wrote:

The original thread was about sex in advertising. My statement stands, they are not telling you what to do, they are using psychology to their advantage. Their imagery is no more relevant to your life than you allow it to be.

It was about erotic imagery, not just in advertising, though that was used as an example. Or at least that's how I read it.

JillSwift wrote:

But, as you demonstrated in your own life, no one has to fall for that crap. All it takes is informing kids of how the marketing works.

So? Doesn't mean everyone will.

JillSwift wrote:

However, if you want to claim that what influence they do have is equal to a command over thier target demographic: No. I'm sorry but that's simply untrue.

No, not a direct command.

To be honest, I created this topic on impulse 'cause I was still pissed at the other topic. And yeah maybe my emotional posts in that turned it to me, but I get pissed when people probe me like that, and so began the cycle.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:It was

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
It was about erotic imagery, not just in advertising, though that was used as an example. Or at least that's how I read it.
Eh, it's a quibble.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
JillSwift wrote:
So? Doesn't mean everyone will.
No argument here.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
JillSwift wrote:
No, not a direct command.
Then I think you will also agree that these problems can be solved by teaching children to think critically, allow themselves introspection, and not rely so heavily on social cohesion.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
To be honest, I created this topic on impulse 'cause I was still pissed at the other topic. And yeah maybe my emotional posts in that turned it to me, but I get pissed when people probe me like that, and so began the cycle.
A cycle you can break any time you choose. Smiling

EDIT                                           

Oh, and Happy New Year, Cappy!

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:So you’re

RatDog wrote:

So you’re saying you don’t like the way pop culture idealizes women for traits other then knowledge, and intelligence?  That seems reasonable enough.  I don’t think pop culture shows knowledge and intelligence in a positive light for either sex.  For example have you ever watched the show jackass?  Not much knowledge and intelligence portrayed in that show. Our culture (I’m assuming were talking about western culture) doesn’t seem to place much value on these characteristics.

[Edit: Changed portrays into portrayed]

Yeah, I know about the male stereotypes too.( The 'dumb jock' one immediatly comes to mind..)

I guess also the 'tough guy' etc..

Quote:

If you were able to remake pop culture in any way you want how would it be different?

I have no idea.

Ubermensch wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Britney Spears.

I should re-state "attractive to the majority of people"

Archeopteryx wrote:

It's interesting to me that the majority of complaints about "media pressure" I ever hear almost unanimously come from females, but I'm not immediately convinced that this is entirely because the media is ONLY unfair TO females.

Of course, it's unfair to both genders.

All those are good examples.

Archeopteryx wrote:

For example, put your average woman in line at the bank and have the man behind her check out her ass. Most would wager that, most often, the woman's reaction would be to feel uncomfortable or to take offense.

Put a man in the same bank line and have a woman check out his ass, regardless of how attractive he finds her, and nine times out of ten the man's response will be along the lines of "Yeah, baby, you like it."

Yep,  and if he doesn't say that then people will probably think he's gay. I'm sure there's pressure on males to 'get hot girls'

Archeopteryx wrote:

I've also noticed that it has long been an acceptable trend, especially among female comedians, to criticize the intelligence of males in general. Men generally don't seem to care. They'll even laugh about the joke and high five each other as if to say, "Yeah! That's us! The stupid ones! WoOoOooo!" I'm not sure I've ever witnessed an instance of any program, advertisement, or comedian calling the intelligence of females in general into question and getting away with it. I think, per above, this is probably because males enjoy it when their stupidity is acknowledged because of the pressure to be the "knower" and females enjoy it because of their desire to be recognized as people who are equally capable of knowing things.

Yeah, (unless it's a dumb blonde joke...) but in sitcoms the husband is usually portrayed as a baffoon.  I don't much approve of that either.

Archeopteryx wrote:

So I wonder if males resist advertising pressure by being stubborn and ignoring advertising, while females resist advertising pressure by questioning the ethics of its content.

Interesting question.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's easy to say that media

It's easy to say that media puts pressure on us (females in particular) to attain a physical appearance which is unrealistic ind in many cases downright unhealthy, mostly because it is almost true. Polish, smoothness and symmetry appeal to our aesthetic senses and promoters exploit this phenomena by any means necessary, advances in artistic skill and the technology available to augment it are fair and reasonable game for capitalist interests, while common sense tells us that enforcing a social environment where human expectations sit mainly in the realm of pure fantasy isn't something that is fair and reasonable. So it comes down to a clash of interests between our psychology and our bottom line.

The thing though is that this issue doesn't play out outside ourselves, we (girls that means us) make the decision between these interests every second of every day, it's us enforcing the pressure on ourselves that makes the real difference.  The fact of the matter is what doesn't sell gets discontinued. As long as we buy bullshit, there's an endless supply of it for the having. 

I personally agree with your sentiment Cpt, but not with the idea that debating it is at all worthwhile, you've got to vote with your feet it's the one thing that even the most deeply morally bankrupt peddler of bullshit will truly understand.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Now,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Yep, Britney Spear, Jessica Simpson etc...

I think I just found your problem.  These two have got to be the dumbest (and very faithful) tandem of hot women in the last two years. 

Please tell me you've chosen new role models along the way.  How bout Natalie Maines?

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:It's easy to

Eloise wrote:

It's easy to say that media puts pressure on us (females in particular) to attain a physical appearance which is unrealistic ind in many cases downright unhealthy, mostly because it is almost true. Polish, smoothness and symmetry appeal to our aesthetic senses and promoters exploit this phenomena by any means necessary, advances in artistic skill and the technology available to augment it are fair and reasonable game for capitalist interests, while common sense tells us that enforcing a social environment where human expectations sit mainly in the realm of pure fantasy isn't something that is fair and reasonable. So it comes down to a clash of interests between our psychology and our bottom line.

You know, I think that this may be on it's way out.  I was watching The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray at 1080i (not even 1080p!) last night and Maggie Gyllenhall's face (and everybody else's, for that matter) looked like the surface of the moon.  Give digital technology enough time to proliferate and everybody who isn't rendered by Pixar is going to start looking more like they do in real life.  That's not to say the impossible standard will go away, but the notion of achievable physical perfection that we grew up with is not going to be there for the younger generation.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:I think I just

Sapient wrote:

I think I just found your problem.  These two have got to be the dumbest (and very faithful) tandem of hot women in the last two years. 

Please tell me you've chosen new role models along the way.  How bout Natalie Maines?

Or Ada Lovelace? Or Grace Hopper? Or Marie Curie? (Sorry. I know these are all role models from the past; but we don't seem to have many role models today in this category, male or female, and the ones given us all seem to be male.)

As long as we look to pop-culture icons as our role-models, our role-models will be those who are good at marketing themselves, or allowing others to market them. As marketing targets the largest audience possible, we end up with a lowest-common-denominator effect, and our cultural icons show it.

The one common denominator we all have? Appreciation for beautiful and sexy women. I've noticed that many women are willing to admire another beautiful woman. Few men are willing to admire a beautiful man. This is all merely my own observation, and so has no scientific validity of which I'm aware, but it has informed my opinions on the matter. So it seems easier to exploit a beautiful woman than a beautiful man for marketing purposes.

I stopped being offended by sex in advertising a long time ago. Now I'm offended at how easily people in general fall for sex in advertising. Yes, the sex in advertising negatively affects many people; but there wouldn't be sex in advertising, or at least the negative effects, if we as a society accepted sex as a natural thing, and promoted critical thinking above reactionary response.

And it might help music, too. Pop music has gotten very, very boring over the last decade or so. (Country music got boring even before that.)

Just my thoughts on the matter. I could be completely wrong.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Laughing_Man_d8D
Gold Member
Laughing_Man_d8D's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm new here...

I'd like to drop a link to a documentary series I once saw on YouTube. It's called "The Century of the Self", which goes over some of the creation and evolution of marketing.

Here's the first part:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3LSyck0YTE

pablotar
pablotar's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote: [ You

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

[

You know, I think that this may be on it's way out.  I was watching The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray at 1080i (not even 1080p!) last night and Maggie Gyllenhall's face (and everybody else's, for that matter) looked like the surface of the moon.  Give digital technology enough time to proliferate and everybody who isn't rendered by Pixar is going to start looking more like they do in real life.  That's not to say the impossible standard will go away, but the notion of achievable physical perfection that we grew up with is not going to be there for the younger generation.  

I was struck by that same thought(hope?) after buying a bluray player...

Eden had a 25% murder rate and incest was rampant.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Now, I

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Now, I was born in '85, so I grew up in the 90's.

Yep, Britney Spear, Jessica Simpson etc... Now guess how they dressed?

Now, guess who was the main demographic for pop music?

Young Females.

The record companies were of course aware of this.  They tried to portray, say Britney, as somebody you might want to be. The 'sweet girl next door' image. This, was obviously a ploy by the record company (Britney probably made squat in terms of  how she was marketed..)  I didn't even know, until my brother pointed it out to me.

So there I was looking up to her, and guess what? I wanted to be like her, like say, dress like her.Because if I didn't, I wouldn't be like her, I wouldn't be popular. I snapped out of it when my brother said she was a marketing tool.

Let me put this another way. If the female role models weren't mostly air heads who dressed that way, but were, say, promoting math/science?

No, math/science weren't "sexy" enough.  That's just for dorks and dweebs.

I was interested in math/science, still am, that in high school made me a dweeb.

Watch a perfermance by the Pussycat Dolls. Notice the audience is mostly young females? You think what the Pussycat Dolls do/say and how they act/dress doesn't have an effect on the people buying their albums/watching their videos?

Back in the 70s I wished I looked like Robert Plant of Led Zep. I wished I could sing Black Dog to the masses with my shirt off baring my chest and abs. Or for that matter, I wished I looked like Jim Morrison of the Doors. But I would never have considered them role models. My role models were Carl Sagan and later on Stephen Hawking. And despite being called a "dweeb" I was strongly inspired by my math and physics teachers who somehow motivated me to pursue Medicine.

And yet I'm sure there are those who fanatically worshipped Robert Plant to the point of self annihilation and are now seeking therapy from substance abuse.

In a free society, watching media (particularly sexy media) is like walking through a field of beautiful roses covered in thorns. The trick is navigating to avoid the thorns. Burning the roses (ie. censorship) to forever rid us of the thorns is not a realistic solution. So then what is the solution other than bitch about how big tit Pussycat Dolls are creating unrealistic beauty standards?

The solution comes from a society professing reason and rationalism rather than lauding mediocrity from young adults whose lives seem (to the point of extreme stupidity) to be wrapped up with idolizing Britney Spears instead of an intellect like Christianne Amampour (whom I personally think looks very hot by the way).

It is a harsh truth that young adults who embrace Britney are also the same morons who obediently follow religious scripture and have archaic views of human sexuality. If subjects like neuroscience and evolutionary psychology were part of high school curriculum, then students may break out of their mind numbing Tila Tequila culture and see sexual attraction for what it really is ie. an innate drive that we all possess. And in that context looking sexy and being sexually attracted to another are as intellectual as enjoying math and science.