Postdeterminism?

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Postdeterminism?

Okay, here's the idea. I reject pre-determinism, but the problem is that most lay people, when they hear 'determinism' think of pre-determinism. That is, they think that a deterministic universe means that we are all mindless puppets, and the future is inevitable, so why bother doing anything. They rightly consider this option as lacking any desirability, but they wrongly confuse this limited version of pre-determinism with the more general catergory of determinism itself.

So, I'm looking for a new word that encompasses a more compatibilist type of determinism that won't allow the person hearing it to conflate it with pre-determinism.

Enter 'post-determinism'. The purpose of this post is to discuss this word and decide whether it's a good word, or whether there is some better word out there that would serve the purposes I have explained.

Post-determinism: The idea is that, rather than everything now being an inevitable result of the past, we flip the perspective, and imagine that everything in the future (post) will be a result of what happens now (determinism). The key is the emphasis on 'now'. The future will be determined by what we do in the here and now. That's post-determinism in a nutshell. It is clearly just a rephrasing of general determinism, but I think drawing the distinction between this and pre-determinism is important.

So, what I like about post-determinism:

- It's very rare. I googled it, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to what it could mean. So, I could easily use this term and inject my new meaning into the conversation.

- It rings vaguely of post-modernism, which will allow me to intrigue post-modernists and their ilk, and use this term against them. "You're critiquing pre-determinism. I'm a post-determinist. So there!"

- It inspires people with the idea that we can do something now to change the future, which I hope will be a way that I can attack complacency, apathy, and defeatism. This contrasts with pre-determinism which is a form of fatalism which saps motivation to act for change. If the future is already determined completely, then why bother to do anything?

Possible problems:

- I've seen other definitions of post-determinism which may blur the distinction I'm trying to make. Namely, the rather uninteresting idea that unique effects will have unique causes. Thus, you could, as it were, wind back the history of any system to 'post-determine' its previous state with perfect accuracy. At least I think that's what they meant. Physics does not support this kind of post-determinism, so I hope I can usurp the word and ditch the old meaning without too much problem.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking, instead of 'post-', which means 'after', I could use a prefix which means 'during' or 'current' or 'now' or some other similar meaning. But I couldn't find a suitable prefix. Any ideas? The point, again, is to emphasize that the world is determined, but it is determined in such a way that what we do now can and will have definite concequences in the future.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Okay, here's

natural wrote:

Okay, here's the idea. I reject pre-determinism, but the problem is that most lay people, when they hear 'determinism' think of pre-determinism. That is, they think that a deterministic universe means that we are all mindless puppets, and the future is inevitable, so why bother doing anything. They rightly consider this option as lacking any desirability, but they wrongly confuse this limited version of pre-determinism with the more general catergory of determinism itself.

My usual response to the "why bother doing anything" would be, "because I am determined to do so.  I thought we just went over this."

natural wrote:

So, I'm looking for a new word that encompasses a more compatibilist type of determinism that won't allow the person hearing it to conflate it with pre-determinism.

Enter 'post-determinism'. The purpose of this post is to discuss this word and decide whether it's a good word, or whether there is some better word out there that would serve the purposes I have explained.

Post-determinism: The idea is that, rather than everything now being an inevitable result of the past, we flip the perspective, and imagine that everything in the future (post) will be a result of what happens now (determinism). The key is the emphasis on 'now'. The future will be determined by what we do in the here and now. That's post-determinism in a nutshell. It is clearly just a rephrasing of general determinism, but I think drawing the distinction between this and pre-determinism is important.

The present is just the pasts,  future. To me these pre-determinism and post-determinism seem to equate to the exact same idea.

natural wrote:

So, what I like about post-determinism:

- It's very rare. I googled it, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to what it could mean. So, I could easily use this term and inject my new meaning into the conversation.

- It rings vaguely of post-modernism, which will allow me to intrigue post-modernists and their ilk, and use this term against them. "You're critiquing pre-determinism. I'm a post-determinist. So there!"

- It inspires people with the idea that we can do something now to change the future, which I hope will be a way that I can attack complacency, apathy, and defeatism. This contrasts with pre-determinism which is a form of fatalism which saps motivation to act for change. If the future is already determined completely, then why bother to do anything?

Possible problems:

- I've seen other definitions of post-determinism which may blur the distinction I'm trying to make. Namely, the rather uninteresting idea that unique effects will have unique causes. Thus, you could, as it were, wind back the history of any system to 'post-determine' its previous state with perfect accuracy. At least I think that's what they meant. Physics does not support this kind of post-determinism, so I hope I can usurp the word and ditch the old meaning without too much problem.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking, instead of 'post-', which means 'after', I could use a prefix which means 'during' or 'current' or 'now' or some other similar meaning. But I couldn't find a suitable prefix. Any ideas? The point, again, is to emphasize that the world is determined, but it is determined in such a way that what we do now can and will have definite concequences in the future.

I don't see how this changes the understanding of the position.  Am I missing something?

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote:natural

Magus wrote:
natural wrote:

The present is just the pasts,  future. To me these pre-determinism and post-determinism seem to equate to the exact same idea.

Pre-determinism is the idea that the future is already laid out, pre-determined, such that it is inalterable, even if you have specific knowledge of this pre-determined future. Determinism in the more general sense does not have this limitation. In general determinism, while the future is definitely determined by the present, someone in the present who has specific knowledge of the future could, in principle, use this knowledge to alter the actual outcome.

So, if I happened to have a snippet of The Plan of the Universe, and it said "When you come to this fork in the road, you will take the left path," in a pre-determined universe, since this is The Plan of the Universe, then I will necessarily take the left path. However, in a merely determined universe, I can use this knowledge to purposefully thwart The Plan of the Universe, and choose instead to take the right path.

It is rather trivial to prove that the universe is not pre-determined. You can easily write a computer program which outputs either 1 or 0. If the input is 1, it outputs 0, and if the input is 0, it outputs 1. When the program starts, it prompts: "Please enter the known, pre-determined outcome of this program (1 or 0):"

If someone with knowledge of the pre-determined future outcome A inputs A, then the output will necessarily not be A. Thus, the outcome A was not specific knowledge of the pre-determined future, disproving pre-determinism by contradiction. If someone tries to keep the pre-determined outcome A valid by inputing the opposite result (if A is 1, then inputting 0, or if A is 0, inputting 1), then they have not actually supplied the program with specific knowledge of the future; they have in effect lied to the program. Thus, lying to the program does not support pre-determinism. Only by entering the true value of A are you actually supplying specific knowledge of the future, and in this case, the program will thwart the pre-determined plan. You cannot both supply the program with knowledge of A and also have A be the actual outcome.

So, pre-determinism and post-determinism are not the same. Unfortunately, many people (it seems you included), have the idea that they are the same, and any time you talk about determinism, they have this wacky notion that what you're really talking about is pre-determinism. It amounts to a straw man, when they start to say things like, "Well, if you're a determinist, then why should we hold anyone responsible for crime? After all, they were going to commit the crime anyway, they had no choice!" Only if they are thinking about pre-determinism does that objection make any sense.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's very good idea. I'd

That's very good idea. I'd only add, that the post-determinism becomes possible, once we defeat the pre-determinism, what the burden the circumstances placed upon us, and with possible negative results of our mistakes. Technically, we're born dependent on others, pre-deterministic.
Then, after years of hard work on making your own luck you can have a decent life, while others says: "wow, you're so lucky, that's something I never had" Yeah, we have such a woman here. She has a problems and asks my parents for advice all the time, but never listens to it and only makes excuses about why she "can't". Well, why then they won't tell her to fuck off? She introduced my parents to each other and they got married, so she has an unlimited credit at the professional life style advisors', and she knows that. 

The point is, that there are certain choices and rules which are more likely to give you success in life, than any other choices. For example, if nobody wants to employ you, make a driver's licence and go to some requalification courses. It's that simple, and yet some people can't understand it.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:That's very

Luminon wrote:

That's very good idea. I'd only add, that the post-determinism becomes possible, once we defeat the pre-determinism, what the burden the circumstances placed upon us, and with possible negative results of our mistakes. Technically, we're born dependent on others, pre-deterministic.

I barely understood your English there. Whew! I think you meant that we are only able to take advantage of post-determinism after we become self-sufficient, because when we're born the primary determining factor of our lives is the circumstances we're born into.

Well, yes, but that's not the same thing as pre-determinism. Again, the future is not in place yet.

As I mentioned briefly, post-determinism is just a restatement of general determinism, with the emphasis placed on the here and now. So, a child, in the here and now, can only affect the future to a small extent. They don't have the skills and knowledge to take care of themselves. They are limited by the circumstances they find themselves in, in the here and now. But the same is true of adults, just to a lesser degree. Part of the here and now is our situation and its limitations. But that still means that what we do here and now, given these limitations, will still determine the future. Post-determinism is still determinism. There's no magical free will to magically lift you out of your circumstances and allow every child to achieve his or her greatest dreams.

I mean, if anything, post-determinism should highlight the importance of how the here and now limits our choices. I can only act from the here and now, I can't magically do anything I want. That would be the opposite of determinism.

Quote:
Then, after years of hard work on making your own luck you can have a decent life, while others says: "wow, you're so lucky, that's something I never had" Yeah, we have such a woman here. She has a problems and asks my parents for advice all the time, but never listens to it and only makes excuses about why she "can't". Well, why then they won't tell her to fuck off? She introduced my parents to each other and they got married, so she has an unlimited credit at the professional life style advisors', and she knows that. 

The point is, that there are certain choices and rules which are more likely to give you success in life, than any other choices. For example, if nobody wants to employ you, make a driver's licence and go to some requalification courses. It's that simple, and yet some people can't understand it.

Yeah, this goes to a more psychological concern about how people tend to live in the past or live in the future, rather than living in the here and now. I guess it's somewhat related to my phrasing of post-determinism. When you live in the past, as the woman you mention is, you see yourself as a product of past events, and since you cannot change the past, then you are helpless to change at all! That's again, a straw man of determinism that possibly post-determinism could help someone to break out of.

Instead of seeing yourself as a frozen product of the past, see yourself as a fluid source of the future. The only time you can ever change anything is in the present moment. The past is history, and the future doesn't exist yet. In order to create it, you have to act now. It's a subtle change in perspective that can break you out of old patterns.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I missed this thread the

I missed this thread the first time around, Natural.  I think I like the idea.  I don't have much to say about it, honestly.  I've always thought the difference between determinism and predeterminism was rather obvious, but the masses clearly refute that notion.

I particularly like the idea of you trying to sell this to a postmodernist.  I think any postmodernist worth his league badge will figure out what you're up to, but it would be entertaining to watch.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
What about Campatibilism?

I was reading about free will on Wikipedia, and I encountered the word Compatibilism. This word seems to be very close to what you’re describing with post-determinism. Are these two words different, and if so in what way are they different?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:     I was

RatDog wrote:

I was reading about free will on Wikipedia, and I encountered the word Compatibilism. This word seems to be very close to what you’re describing with post-determinism. Are these two words different, and if so in what way are they different?

Compatibilism is saying that free will is compatible with determinism (depending on your definition of 'free' and 'will'). But you still have to talk about determinism to talk about compatibilism.

"Do you believe in free will or determinism?"

"I'm a compatibilist."

"What's that?"

"I'm a determinist, but I also believe in free will. I believe they are compatible."

"But if you're a determinist, then how can you hold people responsible for crimes? Yadda yadda yadda."

It still causes the confusion where people think determinism = pre-determinism. So, you still need a good way to communicate the difference between determinism and pre-determinism to people.

So yes, compatibilism is related to post-determinism, but they solve different communication problems.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

I missed this thread the first time around, Natural. I think I like the idea. I don't have much to say about it, honestly. I've always thought the difference between determinism and predeterminism was rather obvious, but the masses clearly refute that notion.

Well, the masses clearly refute lots of things. One of my favorites simply must be that of common sense.

All joking aside, I don't follow the idea of post determinism. Sure, the future unfolds from the past, so if I see a rock flying through the air, it is reasonable to assert that the rock was caused to do something that rocks do not do spontaneously.

However, this seems to break down when you consider more complicated systems.

If I look up in the sky and see an airplane flying through the air, it is reasonable to assume that the airplane was caused to do so by some determinitive agent. Here is where the idea breaks down for me:

What is the single factor that determined the behavior of the airplane? From the perspective of someone standing on the ground, I do not see how I can know that. Mind you, my perspective is not casually related to anything to do with the airplane but even so, if the future is to unfold from the past, what does that tell us?

First, there is some guy in an office in the airline's headquarters who determined that the aircraft with tail number xcd3952qb will take off form Boston at 10:00am and arrive at Seattle at 12:00 local time.

However, the passenger in seat 36D has a heart attack halfway there and the plane has to make an unscheduled stop in Chicago. That man had a heart attack because he forgot to take his aspirin that morning. He forgot to take his aspirin due to some distraction.

Really, you can carry the logic back as far as you want to but in the form that I place it, it is a time reversed version of:

If not for a nail the shoe would not have be lost, if not for a shoe the horse would not have been lost...

Here, I ask you to consider the butterfly effect. Sure, there is a sense in which a butterfly flapping it's wings a thousand years ago led to a tsunami in the Pacific a couple of years ago. However, if I follow the idea of postdeterminism, the butterfly flapped its wings due to some past chain of causes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

With that much as background,let me ask you a question:

If pre-determinism is to be rejected, then shall we reject post determinism on the ground that is is T symmetrically reversible?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:RatDog

natural wrote:

RatDog wrote:

Compatibilism is saying that free will is compatible with determinism (depending on your definition of 'free' and 'will'). But you still have to talk about determinism to talk about compatibilism.

"Do you believe in free will or determinism?"

"I'm a compatibilist."

"What's that?"

"I'm a determinist, but I also believe in free will. I believe they are compatible."

"But if you're a determinist, then how can you hold people responsible for crimes? Yadda yadda yadda."

It still causes the confusion where people think determinism = pre-determinism. So, you still need a good way to communicate the difference between determinism and pre-determinism to people.

So yes, compatibilism is related to post-determinism, but they solve different communication problems.

Thanks, I think I understand now. 

I have and idea, instead of using the word post-determinism which still has the word determinism in it how about the word Post-causation.

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:RatDog

[Edit: Because I accidently posted twice some how.  In regard to my earlier comment as long as you keep using the word determinism in any way someone will probably confuse(intentionally or not) what you’re saying with pre-determinism.  Maybe you need a completely different word to say the same thing.]                                                                    

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
All joking aside, I don't follow the idea of post determinism. Sure, the future unfolds from the past, so if I see a rock flying through the air, it is reasonable to assert that the rock was caused to do something that rocks do not do spontaneously.

Actually, I was trying to emphasize that the future unfolds from the present, not just the past. It is this present moment, right now, that determines what will happen in the future. The past has a part to play, since it got us to the present, but it is only the present that can be said to fully determine the future.

Quote:
If not for a nail the shoe would not have be lost, if not for a shoe the horse would not have been lost...

The end of that example is that, because of this chain of events, which leads to the war being lost, or whatever, then the person making the nail should take care to do it right. That's the point of the story.

And the only time this person can take care to make the nail right is in the present moment. The story means that you should appreciate the fact that even the smallest actions you make in the present moment can have enormous consequences in the future.

The story is *not* a lament about something that happened in the past, which lost the war. "Oh, if it weren't for stupid Igor, the blacksmith's apprentice, we would have won the war!" No, that's silly. The story is about *now*, the present moment. The story is to inspire the blacksmith to say, "Hey, Igor, pay attention to what you're doing! Even these nails you are hammering out are important to the war effort."

Quote:
If pre-determinism is to be rejected, then shall we reject post determinism on the ground that is is T symmetrically reversible?

But they are not equivalent, as I showed in the example of the computer program that outputs either 0 or 1. Here's how it works out:

- Remember, the program asks the person to input 'the known, pre-determined outcome of this program (0 or 1)'.

- The program is programmed so that if you enter 0, it outputs 1, and if you enter 1, it outputs 0.

In a merely determined universe, like ours, if you thought you had *knowledge* of the pre-determined outcome of the program, for example '1', then you could say, "Okay, I know the program is pre-determined to output 1, and it asks for this as input, so I type in 1". The program takes that input and outputs '0', as it is programmed to do.

So, either the answer you thought was pre-determined, was not actually *knowledge* of the pre-determined outcome, or the universe is *not* pre-determined.

However, in a universe that really is pre-determined, here's what would happen: If you really did know that the pre-determined outcome of the program is 1, and you entered this value into the program, '1', then the program, *somehow*, against its programming, is forced to output '1', *because* that was the actual pre-determined outcome of the program.

Many Christians believe in pre-determinism. They think God has a plan for the entire universe, and he knows this plan up front. He knew the entire plan before the universe was even created.

Such a God, if he existed, could force the program to output 1, even after inputting 1. He could give the program knowledge of the pre-determined future, and make sure it came true at the same time.

But of course, no Christian could possibly demonstrate knowledge of God's Plan, because we don't actually live in a universe where this kind of thing happens.

The funny thing is, these same Christians cry out, "Free will! Free will!" whenever you ask them why God's pre-determined Plan happens to include babies being killed in tornados and tsunamis or whatnot.

It's ludicrous.

But anyway, there are people, most people in fact, who think that 'determinism' means 'pre-determinism'. So when you say you're a determinist, that the future will be determined by what we do right now, they automatically think you're saying that the future is completely laid out ahead of time and cannot possibly be changed, even if you *knew* what was going to happen.

We know that the future is determined by what happens right now (supporting post-determinism), and we also know that if we have knowledge of the future, we can change it by doing things differently right now (contradicting pre-determinism).

Does that help clarify?

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:Thanks, I think

RatDog wrote:
Thanks, I think I understand now. 

I have and idea, instead of using the word post-determinism which still has the word determinism in it how about the word Post-causation.

I'll have to ponder that one. Thanks for the suggestion!

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural

natural wrote:

Pre-determinism is the idea that the future is already laid out, pre-determined, such that it is inalterable, even if you have specific knowledge of this pre-determined future. Determinism in the more general sense does not have this limitation. In general determinism, while the future is definitely determined by the present, someone in the present who has specific knowledge of the future could, in principle, use this knowledge to alter the actual outcome.

I still don't understand the "specific" knowledge could only be gained by the past and predictions about the future, all those would factor into making the next moment in existence.  Inalterable, maybe it depends on how you look at it.  In any one moment only one possible outcome will be come the reality that is.

natural wrote:

So, if I happened to have a snippet of The Plan of the Universe, and it said "When you come to this fork in the road, you will take the left path," in a pre-determined universe, since this is The Plan of the Universe, then I will necessarily take the left path. However, in a merely determined universe, I can use this knowledge to purposefully thwart The Plan of the Universe, and choose instead to take the right path.

Again the "knowledge" you have to purposefully thwart the Plan is part of the equation that derives the next moment.  It is not something outside the factors of determination.

natural wrote:

It is rather trivial to prove that the universe is not pre-determined. You can easily write a computer program which outputs either 1 or 0. If the input is 1, it outputs 0, and if the input is 0, it outputs 1. When the program starts, it prompts: "Please enter the known, pre-determined outcome of this program (1 or 0):"

If someone with knowledge of the pre-determined future outcome A inputs A, then the output will necessarily not be A. Thus, the outcome A was not specific knowledge of the pre-determined future, disproving pre-determinism by contradiction. If someone tries to keep the pre-determined outcome A valid by inputing the opposite result (if A is 1, then inputting 0, or if A is 0, inputting 1), then they have not actually supplied the program with specific knowledge of the future; they have in effect lied to the program. Thus, lying to the program does not support pre-determinism. Only by entering the true value of A are you actually supplying specific knowledge of the future, and in this case, the program will thwart the pre-determined plan. You cannot both supply the program with knowledge of A and also have A be the actual outcome.

So, pre-determinism and post-determinism are not the same. Unfortunately, many people (it seems you included), have the idea that they are the same, and any time you talk about determinism, they have this wacky notion that what you're really talking about is pre-determinism. It amounts to a straw man, when they start to say things like, "Well, if you're a determinist, then why should we hold anyone responsible for crime? After all, they were going to commit the crime anyway, they had no choice!" Only if they are thinking about pre-determinism does that objection make any sense.

It seems to me that you can gain knowledge of a "possible" future, but that information is not outside the equation that determines the actual future.  Am I still missing something?

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
This subject is mental

This subject is mental masturbation. It is the nature/nurture debate in another form. It is the dramatic conflict between "the tide of evil" and the hero. It is the moral conflict between going along with the crowd and doing what is right.

ALL imagined answers are worthless speculation until we have the scientific means to conduct experimental history and observe the results.

As that is not expected any time soon, or perhaps we are living in an experiment gone wrong, there is no possible way to determine which if right or if either of them or right or even if an answer is possible.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote:Again the

Magus wrote:

Again the "knowledge" you have to purposefully thwart the Plan is part of the equation that derives the next moment.  It is not something outside the factors of determination.

In pre-determinism, it is. The plan is the plan, and nothing can alter it. That is the only sense in which it makes sense to say something is *pre* determined.

Quote:
It seems to me that you can gain knowledge of a "possible" future, but that information is not outside the equation that determines the actual future.  Am I still missing something?

Yes, you are missing the distinction between determinism, which is what you are talking about, and pre-determinism, which is the whole cosmic plan thing.

The example I gave was not about knowledge of a 'possible' future, it was about knowledge of the *predetermined* future.

Just imagine this: God is sitting around thinking about how he's going to create the universe. He comes up with a plan about how everything will go within the universe. He writes the plan in a book. Then, magically, he sets the universe in motion such that it will follow this plan to the letter.

That is pre-determinism. You can subtract the 'god' part of it, and just imagine an abstract 'plan' that is laid out ahead of time. The plan doesn't even have to exist in a tangible sense, only that it could, in principle, be written out before the events which it describes.

Your objections did not seem to take this idea into account. You were talking about a merely determined universe, not a pre-determined one.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:This

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
This subject is mental masturbation.

Your comment is useless whining.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:A_Nony_Mouse

natural wrote:

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

I observe the fact that it is subject which cannot have an answer. It is not different from angels on the heads of pins and the like.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:I observe

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

I observe the fact that it is subject which cannot have an answer. It is not different from angels on the heads of pins and the like.

Read the very first paragraph of the original post, where I laid out clearly the practical use of this discussion. It is to improve communication. Your comment offered nothing useful to it.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Serious question, natural:

Serious question, natural:  Why do you suppose that some of the more obscure topics like freewill, determinism, discovery/invention, etc, elicit cries of philosophical uselessness with such regularity?  Is it that people who don't understand the arguments just turn them off as so much claptrap, or what?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:natural

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

natural wrote:

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

What do you mean the subject cannot have an answer?

In natural's defence, though I don't necessarily agree that the distinction needs to be made (though it might improve communication), in every necessary and even obvious way, the current state of the universe (and those states yet to happen; the future) is a causal chain linking back to its inception.  It might not be a practical observation, but it is certainly true.

Do you care to elaborate on how it's no different from 'angels on the heads of pins and the like'?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural, I should say that I

natural, I should say that I think I understand where you come from with your distinction between predeterminism and determinism.  I still think the distinction is moot, however.

That said, I do think that it would be helpful to introduce a word that explains the concept without being so loaded/having certain connotations/being misunderstood.  Good job on realizing the need for such a term.

On that, I submit retrospectively causally progressive... I think it speaks for itself.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Serious

Hambydammit wrote:

Serious question, natural:  Why do you suppose that some of the more obscure topics like freewill, determinism, discovery/invention, etc, elicit cries of philosophical uselessness with such regularity?  Is it that people who don't understand the arguments just turn them off as so much claptrap, or what?

Well, to be fair, I do think there's such a thing as mental masturbation. Some ideas just have no practical use at all, one way or the other. In many ways, God is such an idea. Pretty much any discussion about what God really is is mental masturbation.

However, I think the main thing that people overlook is that *belief* in God *does* have practical implications, as we see in American politics, for example. Thus, there is value in understanding the various concepts of god in order to challenge people's beliefs.

Freewill/determinism is about the compatibility of rigourous science with subjective judgments of morality, for example. While we may never know if the universe is *actually* deterministic, or if it involves indeterministic elements such as true randomness, this is not what people are really arguing about. They are arguing about what it would mean *if* the universe was deterministic or not.

So, arguing for determinism, especially the compatibilist kind, is an effort to get people to be able to accept that it is possible to have a scientific worldview that integrates our notions of morality into it. The practical implications of this are obvious: Those who reject determinism will be more likely to reject science, and more likely to accept non-rational forms of morality, such as Divine Command or whatever.

As to why some people complain about such discussions? I think there are different reasons. Lack of understanding of the topic. They might think there are more relevant or salient topics that deserve discussion more, rather than 'wasting time' on 'mental masturbation'.

Mostly, though, in my experience, there are two reasons that drive me nuts: Aversion to conflict, and complacency. Aversion to conflict goes like, "Hey, we're trying to have a nice conversation about love and fluffy bunnies and everyone getting along. Please keep your contentious philosophy to yourself." Complacency goes like, "What does this have to do with my daily life of waking up, going to work, vegging out in front of the TV, screwing my S/O, and passing out every night? Let's talk about something mundane and pointless, like shopping and/or sports."

My purpose in this thread is to develop a way of expressing the idea of compatibilism that bypasses the common misunderstandings. I'm both trying to influence free-will libertarians and also to influence those determinists who get caught up in endless arguments about free will. If they use a clearer language, they can also bypass these common misunderstandings.

Another side-effect that I think is useful is that understanding the difference between pre-determinism and post-determinism can help lift a feeling of fatalism and hence confront some forms of complacency that I've encountered (if the future is pre-determined and unchangeable, then why bother to do anything?).

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:natural, I

Thomathy wrote:

natural, I should say that I think I understand where you come from with your distinction between predeterminism and determinism.  I still think the distinction is moot, however.

Try discussing determinism with 5 people who defend libertarian free will, and you will see why the distinction is relevant and necessary. They will assume that you believe the universe is pre-determined in my sense, not your sense.

Besides, pre-determinism is already a well-established concept in philosophy. I'm not inventing the word, just emphasizing it.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Another

natural wrote:

Another side-effect that I think is useful is that understanding the difference between pre-determinism and post-determinism can help lift a feeling of fatalism and hence confront some forms of complacency that I've encountered (if the future is pre-determined and unchangeable, then why bother to do anything?).

I read the post finally. Had to google search it. I do the bulk of my posting in the general and atheist vs theist boards. I definitely see what you're driving at. What you really want to do is kill fatalism. But fatalism and determinism are two names for the same idea. No matter how you dress it up, determinism is still fatalistic. I think the pre in predeterminism comes from the initial state. If you rewind time under determinism you will eventually reach the initial state thus turning it in to predeterminism.

I too would like to have an alternative to fatalism. But until we observe some interaction that is not governed by a set force with exacting precision we won't have that alternative. That is why I'd like quantum research to turn up some sort of random interaction. Short of that we have no reason to assume that we are somehow above the control of the fundamental forces. I would say if you want an alternative, go with the all possible universes take on reality, that's what I do.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Natural, I think you and I

Natural, I think you and I are on the same page with regard to determinism.  You've read my bit on freewill so you know it's an important part of my philosophy of rational materialism, but the trick is finding ways to communicate somewhat obscure philosophy in a way that seems meaningful -- thus avoiding the complacency by demonstrating relevance.

When I look at philosophical discussions such as this one, I see it as moving from the abstract to the concrete.  Sometimes you have to start with a rather obscure idea and then work it back into daily relevance, and hammering out the epistemological justification for invoking determinism (post-determinism, predeterminism, etc) seems like a really good starting point for justifying the atheist's claim that religion is, in fact, hopelessly separated from science (and therefore, knowledge, and therefore, usefulness).

Books about atheism