Israel vs. Gaza

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Israel vs. Gaza

So Israel started bombing the Gaza strip on Saturday, December 27th, killing over 200 people: http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/27/gaza.israel.strikes/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Hamas has vowed retaliation.

Anyone have insight into who will get blown up next, or what might happen?

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Quote:The

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

The best thing for both sides is to come to the realization that their god is imaginary

Most Israelis do think God is imaginary. It's one of the most secular and irreligious (the two mean different things) countries in the world.

Yea they are as secular as we are in the states. Name me the last time they voted a non-Jew in as Prime Minister? And if they are so "secular" then why do they have the Star of David on their flag?

The best you can say is that they are westernized and living in the modern century comparitively speeking. BUT, they still cling to their rituals and superstitions even if they dont litterally believe them, alot of Christians in America behaive that way too.

There are probibly in America alot of politicians who put their hand on a bible and say "So Help Me God" and merely do it because if they didn't they wouldnt get re elected.

How many Isrealy Politicans could openly end a speech with, "There is no god" and still expect to get ellected?

My problem is BOTH of them. But, the adult of the two is not showing restrient and is using overkill to get it's point accross and time after time is having the oposite effect. It is creating more terrorists.

They need to think about the children and teens in Palistine who watch their parents get killed. Do these young minds care about the politics or is the immage of the mangled bodies of their loved ones going to cause them to want to fight back?

If Isreal want's to defeat Hammas, they need to do what the world should have done with Germany after WW1. Instead of letting them rot, they should have helped them and given them an alturnitive to turning to a nutcase.

Israel is causing otherwise unpolitical people to turn to these nuts because they put everyone around them in the shredder with them, even people who otherwise wouldn't care. That in turn causes the laymen to side with Hammas.

Israel's problem is that it is lowering itself to the standard of the people it saying it is fighting. This has gone on too long for them to continue using "self defense" as an excuse.

There reaction to the unjustified actions of Hammas is playing right into the hands of Hammas.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Well there is

jcgadfly wrote:

Well there is a difference - if you have the shotgun and you LET the baseball bat wielding nut bash in your skull, then you are an idiot for not stopping him while you are able. What I get from your description of the Palestinian military capabilities is that they can't stop Israel from attacking and destroying at will.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But that is exactly my point, The Palestinians are attacking with the equivalent of baseball bats, and are being retaliated against with superior firepower. Why then say " Ohhh, those bad Israelis, how dare they retaliate against the poor Palestinians who only want to cave in their skulls! "?

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I guess the Israelis

Well, I guess the Israelis might've really had it this time. The fellow killed in his home was, apparently, the last straw.

The Israeli prime minister has effectively said that he's going to continue blasting Gaza until there isn't a single member of Hamas left alive in that place (this can be roughly translated to: they're going to bomb the region until there's nothing left but shatter fragments of masonry and not a living soul lingers)

Lesson: Don't pick fights you're not sure you can handle the worst possible consequences of.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Well, I

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Well, I guess the Israelis might've really had it this time. The fellow killed in his home was, apparently, the last straw.

The Israeli prime minister has effectively said that he's going to continue blasting Gaza until there isn't a single member of Hamas left alive in that place (this can be roughly translated to: they're going to bomb the region until there's nothing left but shatter fragments of masonry and not a living soul lingers)

Lesson: Don't pick fights you're not sure you can handle the worst possible consequences of.

You confuse intent with tactic. "DONT FUCK WITH ME" sounds good on paper, but when you are in a fight and clobber people besides your intended target, it loses it's value.

Just like how Bush distroyed our credibility we had with Afganistan by invading Iraq. I understand Israel's intent in saying, "Stop it". But again, they fail to see that they are playing right into the hands of those around them.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Uh. No, Brian. That's not

Uh. No, Brian. That's not what I mean.

I mean, literally, I think the Israelis now intend on killing just about every single person in Gaza. In fact, that's pretty much precisely what the Prime Minister said.

You guys wouldn't have had all the trouble in Iraq if your interest was merely burning it to the ground. Sticking out tongue

EDIT: Also, 'DON'T FUCK WITH ME' did work to end World War II via Hiroshima & Nagasaki, now didn't it? I don't agree with what you guys did back then, but it was effective.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Desdenova wrote:jcgadfly

Desdenova wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Well there is a difference - if you have the shotgun and you LET the baseball bat wielding nut bash in your skull, then you are an idiot for not stopping him while you are able. What I get from your description of the Palestinian military capabilities is that they can't stop Israel from attacking and destroying at will.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But that is exactly my point, The Palestinians are attacking with the equivalent of baseball bats, and are being retaliated against with superior firepower. Why then say " Ohhh, those bad Israelis, how dare they retaliate against the poor Palestinians who only want to cave in their skulls! "?

Ok I think both sides are that D&D alignment I call chaotic ape-shit (comes with the religions) but are you saying that the folks in the Israeli government realy don't want to cave in Palestinian skulls but are being forced to do it?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: Ok I think

jcgadfly wrote:

Ok I think both sides are that D&D alignment I call chaotic ape-shit (comes with the religions) but are you saying that the folks in the Israeli government realy don't want to cave in Palestinian skulls but are being forced to do it?

Heh, weeeeeell, I wouldn't go so far as to say that Israel has tried every possible solution other than violence. But at the same time I really don't think that they are sitting up at night, stroking their rifle barrels, and rocking back & forth in anticipation of being able to kill a Palestinian, either. I think that they expect one of two possible outcomes. a) The Palestinians will, dull witted as they seem to be, eventually get the message that every time they bomb a grocery store, temple, or discotheque, they will lose lives and land, or b) they will eventually be eradicated because of their inability to learn lesson a. I really don't think that the Israelis care too much which outcome happens, as the end result will be the same for them either way.

My spouse on the other hand, knowing people that have served in the Israeli military and others that live on kibbutzes over there, says that at least a few of them are itching for blood.

So for the record, I'm not too sure that any of us that don't live over there are really qualified to say just wnat either side is thinking. I could, if it seriously interested me, make a phone call and get the opinion of one Israeli that lived there most of his life. But that would only be a single opinion from only one side. I might give the guy a call anyhow, even knowing that his take will contain a bit of a bias.

In all honesty, I think that Buffalo Springfield unintentionally summed up the situation over there with the song Somethings Happening Here... " Nobody's right if everybody's wrong. "

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The atomic bombs on Japan

The atomic bombs on Japan did not have to happen. Japan was already losing the war at that point. We did it as a demonstration to Russia.

I am sick of Palistine and Israel equally at this point. This situation could potentially drag the intire world in to a nukelear war, and at that point it wont matter who was right or wrong, at that point in every nation people will litterally be fighting their neighbors just to survive.

This crap has to stop and the species has to put humanity over ideology first. I have been around long enough to know that the tactics of the claimed adult of the two is has not and will not work.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The thing I don't get is in

The thing I don't get is in America the equation looks like this:

Palestinians throw rocks and bottles at Israeli soldiers + Israeli soldiers turn them into a fine red mist

= "Oh, those poor, persecuted Israelis."

I'm not saying that is what anyone here is claiming but it does seem to be a strong sentiment in the US.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
My sympathy for either side

My sympathy for either side is wearing extremely thin. The Jews of WW2 had a case. This crap however, has gone on for 3 generations now with no end in sight. Time after time Israel has used it's "muscle" to "finally end it", and when has it ended? Please tell me, other than creating more cockroaches, what have they done?

I am tired of that intire region.  I don't think either side wants peace as much as they want power.

FUCK THEM BOTH. I just don't want either of those morons dragging the rest of the world into a nukelear war. I am done with both sides and at this point dont care about anything that doesnt end the violence.

Israel is not proving to me anything except they can blow stuff up and the same with Palestine. I am sick of the excuses from both sides.

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
One solution would be to

One solution would be to carpet bomb the entire area, pave it over as a parking lot, and build a 7-11 right in the middle for the survivors to work at.  Eh, so much for my kindly, humanitarian disposition today,  Think I'll go back to clubbing seals for fun and profit.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
dead_again wrote:So Israel

dead_again wrote:

So Israel started bombing the Gaza strip on Saturday, December 27th, killing over 200 people: http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/27/gaza.israel.strikes/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Gaza strip is a small rest of land which legally belongs to Palestinians. It was given to them by king Hussein. I agree with president Ahmadinejad, the state of Israel has no right to exist and should be wiped off the map. Israelites violently took almost all of the territory by superior military force. It seems that someone needed a sidekick to do the dirty job in the middle East, Jews didn't pull the third best army in the world out of a magician's hat. The suspect #1 is USA army.

It may be surprising for you, but Israelites are the ones who invented the terrorism, not Palestinians, they only learned it from them later.

Wanna negotiation and peaceful solution with Palestinians? Stop the damn genocide and return them 100% of their rightful land!
Israel is something like a spoiled child of USA, it terrorizes all the neigbouring world around. There was like 60 OSN sanctions planned against Israel, but not even one was put into practice. USA blocked them all by veto.
Indeed, Palestinians are a dirty, ragged, half-crazy folk full of hate and tribal laws, but this is what happens to anyone, when someone kills their family, takes their land, cuts them off basic necessities and tortures them by the sounds of interceptors on supersonic barrier.

(yes, I read an independent foreign newspaper and I'm proud of it )
(yes, I can provide a link to the article if anyone wants)

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:dead_again

Luminon wrote:

dead_again wrote:

Gaza strip is a small rest of land which legally belongs to Palestinians. It was given to them by king Hussein. I agree with president Ahmadinejad, the state of Israel has no right to exist and should be wiped off the map. Israelites violently took almost all of the territory by superior military force. It seems that someone needed a sidekick to do the dirty job in the middle East, Jews didn't pull the third best army in the world out of a magician's hat. The suspect #1 is USA army.

It may be surprising for you, but Israelites are the ones who invented the terrorism, not Palestinians, they only learned it from them later.

Wanna negotiation and peaceful solution with Palestinians? Stop the damn genocide and return them 100% of their rightful land!
Israel is something like a spoiled child of USA, it terrorizes all the neigbouring world around. There was like 60 OSN sanctions planned against Israel, but not even one was put into practice. USA blocked them all by veto.
Indeed, Palestinians are a dirty, ragged, half-crazy folk full of hate and tribal laws, but this is what happens to anyone, when someone kills their family, takes their land, cuts them off basic necessities and tortures them by the sounds of interceptors on supersonic barrier.

(yes, I read an independent foreign newspaper and I'm proud of it )
(yes, I can provide a link to the article if anyone wants)

That is a pile of crap. So by that standard any Native American today who want's their land back is intitled to blow things up here? Where does it stop?

No one is saying that they are not suffering, but Palestinians bring it on themselves as much as Isreal does by doing what they do. I place equal blame in this situation and am tired of both sides.

I am beyond caring who is right or wrong at this point. Children on both sides will see their parents die and grow up justifying the same crap against each other when they become adults.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Desdenova wrote:One solution

Desdenova wrote:

One solution would be to carpet bomb the entire area, pave it over as a parking lot, and build a 7-11 right in the middle for the survivors to work at.  Eh, so much for my kindly, humanitarian disposition today,  Think I'll go back to clubbing seals for fun and profit.

Don't give Cheney any ideas...

— George Carlin

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:That is a pile

Brian37 wrote:

That is a pile of crap. So by that standard any Native American today who want's their land back is intitled to blow things up here? Where does it stop?

Bad example. Native Americans were already there, while Palestinians were already there AND had their land given to them by king Hussein. We can't ignore official treaties, right?
Where does it stop? As I said when USA stops to pay the killing and Israel will return the land, then there will be finally some serious negotiations. Otherwise, there will be no possible peace in the world. Gaza is the main problem for a global peace. Sacrificing Israel's borders on map is worth it. I live in the luxury of peace and I enjoy it a lot, I think that more people should try this wonderful invention. Tired of getting shot? Try the peace!

Brian37 wrote:
No one is saying that they are not suffering, but Palestinians bring it on themselves as much as Isreal does by doing what they do. I place equal blame in this situation and am tired of both sides.
You're right, it doesn't matter as much today. Both sides have their hands bloody. Both sides did show that they can't resolve the conflict in a civilized manner, so there should be some international force which makes things right. However, for that USA would have to pull back their 60 vetos against Israel, (they started it) so OSN can start doing it's work.

Brian37 wrote:
I am beyond caring who is right or wrong at this point. Children on both sides will see their parents die and grow up justifying the same crap against each other when they become adults.
Yes, one of great hopes for a peaceful future are programs of nature camps in USA, where Palestinian and Jewish children meets together. (there are also other hating ethnical groups in such a camps)

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
whoever wrote:Now I am

whoever wrote:

Now I am against the use of violence by either side, and I used to watch the news and wonder; "What is wrong with these crazy Palestinians? Can't they just let the Israeli's live in peace?" So then I decided to use the internet to research what on earth these Palestinians are so pissed off about. Gradually I began to learn what the conflict was all about and the clincher came when I found this map.

One thing you won't ever see on the nightly news is this map.

www.arendt-art.de/deutsch/BILDER/index.14.JPG

It really puts things in perspective and gives you an idea what all of the fighting is about. It reminds me of the bloody history of the US 200 years ago. It's the equivalent of the US moving into American Indian territory and kicking the Indians off of their land so the US settlers could have land and then trying to claim that they are only trying to defend themselves from suicidal Indians who are attacking them for no reason at all. If a foreign Development company came into the US and kicked some people off of the Family farm that had been in the family for 6 generations and tore down their home with no compensation so they could build homes for foreign people I wonder how many Americans would see the Palestinians in a different light?

And  I have to agree that if the US stopped supplying Israel with nearly unlimited weapons things might change. The best thing for both sides is to come to the realization that their god is imaginary and the people  on both sides would have a better future if they worked together. I'm still against violence by either side and I think someone or some coalition needs to cut off fuel and weapons for BOTH sides only allowing food and humanitarian supplies  until they can work out some sort of solution that is agreeable to all involved.

Excellent points. This is interesting: http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Cynthia_McKinneys_boat_rammed_by_Israeli_1230.html

with this sort of crap happening, your good idea wouldn't work. Israel is fascist and holding too much to even let it's allies in for humanitarian purposes.

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't necessarily take

I don't necessarily take either side in the dispute. It's tribal warfare that has been going on for thousands of years and I imagine it won't stop anytime soon. My problem is with the US funding one side so that they can use advanced technology to destroy the infrastructure and kill civilians in an area they've laid siege on against people that are lobbing unguided rockets at them. I'm sure it isn't fun when one of those rockets lands at a bus stop or a school and kills 4 or 5 people but the response is disproportionate and that was created by outsiders who hold some responsibility.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
There was a time when I

There was a time when I could have sympathized with either side, but I am to the point I don't give a shit anymore and just want it to stop before they (either side) drag the entire planet into it.

Someone did you wrong, I get that. Pleanty of people in my life "did me wrong". But from a collective sense we cant dwell on the past, we can remember it so that we dont repeat it, but we have to get past the past to work toward the future. NEITHER SIDE is doing that.

What pisses me off is that Jewish children and muslim children see this violence and grow up blindly chosing sides and creating more warriors for both sides and the fact is, just like the Bloods and Kripts, neither thinks long term, other than being on top long term.

I am sick of that entire region and neither side is getting my sympathy now.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The atomic bombs on

Quote:
The atomic bombs on Japan did not have to happen. Japan was already losing the war at that point. We did it as a demonstration to Russia.

Well, I'd agree that the cities didn't have to be bombed (you could've dropped them on the remnants of their navy), but without the showing of power to the Japanese you could only have forced their surrender with an invasion. That would've been far more costly in terms of both lives and equipment even than what you decided on doing.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Well, I'd agree that the cities didn't have to be bombed (you could've dropped them on the remnants of their navy), but without the showing of power to the Japanese you could only have forced their surrender with an invasion. That would've been far more costly in terms of both lives and equipment even than what you decided on doing.

Maybe the bombs weren't necessary, if only the Japanese people would be allowed to keep their emperor.
On the other side, I had read somewhere, that the main force of Japanese war effort were young lower officers. They didn't control anything, but higher officers were afraid to get disgraced by surrendering in front of them.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Maybe the bombs

Quote:

Maybe the bombs weren't necessary, if only the Japanese people would be allowed to keep their emperor.

The emperor of Japan did retain his position (as a figurehead) even after MacArthur took control of Japan. Technically, even during the reign of the military dictatorship during Japan's time as an Imperial power, the emperor was a figurehead. The real power lay with the military and the zaibatsu, the industrial comglomerates. The emperor was essentially there to sit and agree with his War Administration. The first time he actually made a broadcast to the Japanese people was after the bomb on Nagasaki, saying that he had ordered the surrender of Japan, that he could no longer endure the suffering of his people. But I would argue that the nuclear weapons were necessary. The Allied leaders had met after the surrender of Nazi Germany in Reims to discuss the fate of Japan. They had ruled out shelling, carpet bombing, and blockading. The malignant military machine of Japan would capitulate to only the most appalling force. They had settled on an invasion of Japan. This was a task that would demand the most horrific levels of bloodshed. The battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa had served to demonstrate microcosms of the bloodbaths that occured when Allied troops set foot on Japanese soil. Suddenly, millions of veterans of the European and Pacific campaigns braced themselves for death on the beaches of Kyushu. The Japanese defense plan Ketsu-Go called for a suicide operation (consisting primarily of kamikaze and suicide submarines) of the most vast proportions to meet the American fleet of 100 aircraft carriers assembling off Okinawa. The Japanese casualties resulting from an Allied invasion of Japan would have been multiple orders of magnitude greater than those resulting from the atomic blasts. It was very concievable in the early fall of 1945 that an entire people was about to wiped from the face of the Earth. The problems facing the Allied leaders about what to do were suddenly compounded when Stalin authorized an invasion of Manchuria. It was clear to the Americans that the Soviets intended to pick up assets that it had taken them years to build in the Pacific campaign. They were not happy. The Russians had contributed nothing to the Pacific campaign, and if they launched an invasion of Hokkaido from the North, the cold war would have multiplied to deadly new levels. It was clear that Stalin had forced Truman's hand. There was no alternative. Japan had to be persuaded to surrender immediately.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am currently writing a

I am currently writing a piece  on a young Ireali man who has fallen in love with a Palestinian woman...I am calling it "West Bank Story"

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
That was awful. I apologize.

That was awful. I apologize.

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Well, it seems that Israel

Well, it seems that Israel has regected another call for Cease fire because it claims “It’s important to continue the pressure on the Hamas military machine.” Its really annoying me that Israel has had only 3 civilians and one soldier die whereas the Palastinians have had 390 killed and 1900 wounded since this began. (those are estimates in the article)

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=akJvN8d.Q3nA&refer=home#

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  "Only the dead have seen

"Only the dead have seen the end of war."   ( Quote allegedly attributed to Plato. )

No matter the century, nor the identity of the combatants, armed conflict will never go away....humans will always find a way to fuck things up and destroy peace.

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:I am

Rich Woods wrote:

I am currently writing a piece  on a young Ireali man who has fallen in love with a Palestinian woman...I am calling it "West Bank Story"

Someone beat you to it. Adam Sandler's rape of comedy called You Don't Mess With the Zohan. We deserve more than an apology for it. We deserve restitution.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The emperor of Japan

Quote:
The emperor of Japan did retain his position (as a figurehead) even after MacArthur took control of Japan. Technically, even during the reign of the military dictatorship during Japan's time as an Imperial power, the emperor was a figurehead. The real power lay with the military and the zaibatsu, the industrial comglomerates. The emperor was essentially there to sit and agree with his War Administration. The first time he actually made a broadcast to the Japanese people was after the bomb on Nagasaki, saying that he had ordered the surrender of Japan, that he could no longer endure the suffering of his people. But I would argue that the nuclear weapons were necessary. The Allied leaders had met after the surrender of Nazi Germany in Reims to discuss the fate of Japan. They had ruled out shelling, carpet bombing, and blockading. The malignant military machine of Japan would capitulate to only the most appalling force. They had settled on an invasion of Japan. This was a task that would demand the most horrific levels of bloodshed. The battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa had served to demonstrate microcosms of the bloodbaths that occured when Allied troops set foot on Japanese soil. Suddenly, millions of veterans of the European and Pacific campaigns braced themselves for death on the beaches of Kyushu. The Japanese defense plan Ketsu-Go called for a suicide operation (consisting primarily of kamikaze and suicide submarines) of the most vast proportions to meet the American fleet of 100 aircraft carriers assembling off Okinawa. The Japanese casualties resulting from an Allied invasion of Japan would have been multiple orders of magnitude greater than those resulting from the atomic blasts. It was very concievable in the early fall of 1945 that an entire people was about to wiped from the face of the Earth. The problems facing the Allied leaders about what to do were suddenly compounded when Stalin authorized an invasion of Manchuria. It was clear to the Americans that the Soviets intended to pick up assets that it had taken them years to build in the Pacific campaign. They were not happy. The Russians had contributed nothing to the Pacific campaign, and if they launched an invasion of Hokkaido from the North, the cold war would have multiplied to deadly new levels. It was clear that Stalin had forced Truman's hand. There was no alternative. Japan had to be persuaded to surrender immediately.

I've always contended, however, that it would have been far more appropriate for the Americans to dropp Fat Man & Little Boy on the Japanese Navy (what was left of it, anyway). That would have still sent a strong message to the Emperor, demonstrated to both the Russians and Japanese the new weaponry at the disposal of America, and kept the targets military ones.

Bombing the civilian centers was atrocious (in this case and in the conventional cases; Dresden in particular)

Quote:

February 27, 1940

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:(what was left of it,

Quote:

(what was left of it, anyway)

Well, actually, there was no navy left. The remainder of the Japanese fleet had been completely destroyed at the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot. The surviving capital ships had limped back to port at the great Japanese naval base at Kure. By mid-spring 1945, the American submarine blockade on Japan was so tight that there was no oil left to run the navy. The last of the IJN's capital ships were defenselessly and uselessly moored at Kure, and in summer 1945, the Americans launched a raid six times the size of the attack on Pearl Harbour, smashing the useless hulks, so there wouldn't have been much point in striking the Japanese navy in late 1945.

Quote:

Bombing the civilian centers was atrocious (in this case and in the conventional cases; Dresden in particular)

I agree. There certainly were other ways to indicate to the Japanese that they had a weapon capable of utterly destroying them. And (although the Americans didn't know it) showing off to the Reds was pointless since Stalin already knew about the Manhattan project via spies and Soviet-sympathizing nuclear physicists and had begun his own nuclear project which would be completed in 1948). However, given American tactics over the past year, it was highly unlikely that they were going to do anything other than target civilian centers. Since the fall of Tinian 1944, when the American B-29s were put in range of Japan, they had been targeting cities on the criteria of their "burnability".

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dracos wrote:One thing I

Dracos wrote:

One thing I have noticed in this long lived conflict.  You do not see Jews strapping explosives and nails onto their children and having them blow themselves in areas frequented by savages.

So, the Jews can afford that luxury because they have a formal military. and I am sure until you are cramped in a slum with no way to eat and you constantly see your loved ones bombed I doubt you have any clue how you'd view Israel.

Native Americans as compared to the Colonists were out gunned and used ambush tactics and went into settlements and killed everyone. It was in response to their land being invaded.

I am NOT going to treat them as animals as much as I see them as wrong not understanding that "defending" themselves, which is how they view it, doesn't have to be done that way, but Isreal is not helping by killing 500 people in 4 days. You cannot tell me all those deaths were militant people.

They are not savages. They are victims of religious indoctrination by their own, but they are also victims of lack of normalcy and opportunity, which the Jews do by handing the nuts in charge creating more nuts by bombing everyone, who might otherwise not turn to those nuts.

You are falling into a black and white trap when the problems of this conflict are much deeper and must be addressed by both sides otherwise it will continue.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
A fond "fuck you!!" to Hamas and Islamists worldwide

This by the way is not a reverent undying support of the Israeli state. I do believe that there is a legitimate liberal, rational and secular sentiment for Palestinian self-determination. Yet my heart does not bleed for Palestinians when their cause is an Islamic issue. In fact, any ethnic geopolitical conflict that is hijacked by religion receives no support from me.

Can anyone give a rational reason why any freethinker would stand shoulder to shoulder with Islamists in Darfur who are now rallying in the streets protesting against the Israeli incursion. Those bastards with their Janjaweed militias are responsible for genocide. As we speak muslims around the world are protesting the Gaza attacks:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090102/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_palestinians_protests

Where the fuck were all those protesting shitheads during the recent Mumbai attacks. In fact, their response was muted at best with lip service condemnations. Their aim was to show that Islam is "peaceful" and should not be blamed for the terrorist attacks in India. Yet somehow Islam is always (and I mean fuckin' always) front and center with the Palestinian issue.

If Palestinians truly want worldwide sympathy for their cause they seriously need to remove that crescent moon shaped dildo from their asses and listen to reason and rationalism rather than seek pity while allying with murderous genocidal assholes in places like Sudan.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Well, actually, there

Quote:
Well, actually, there was no navy left. The remainder of the Japanese fleet had been completely destroyed at the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot. The surviving capital ships had limped back to port at the great Japanese naval base at Kure. By mid-spring 1945, the American submarine blockade on Japan was so tight that there was no oil left to run the navy. The last of the IJN's capital ships were defenselessly and uselessly moored at Kure, and in summer 1945, the Americans launched a raid six times the size of the attack on Pearl Harbour, smashing the useless hulks, so there wouldn't have been much point in striking the Japanese navy in late 1945.

...Oh.

I thought the Japanese still had the Musashi and Shinano at port by the war's end (dumbass battleship strategy...), as well as a few of their escort elements?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

I've always contended, however, that it would have been far more appropriate for the Americans to dropp Fat Man & Little Boy on the Japanese Navy (what was left of it, anyway). That would have still sent a strong message to the Emperor, demonstrated to both the Russians and Japanese the new weaponry at the disposal of America, and kept the targets military ones.

Agreed, and this is the problem I have with Israel. It is not their intent, but their tactic, and all I see them do is lower themselves to the standards of those they say they are defending themselves against.

I cant understand why they cant see that they are killing innocent people besides those agressive targets. In turn the survivors of those innocent turn to the nuts the Israelis bomb.

This cant go on forever, neither side is right and neither side is winning.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
  Just a side note, but

Just a side note, but when Russia was recently waging war in neighboring Georgia and relying upon their traditional military *tactics ( * ie, if it moves, it dies ) they were mostly chastised by the world community, including the US government.  Is that a fair assessment ?

When the State of Israel attacks Hamas and appears to engage in the same type of military tactics ( ie, killing scores of  Palastinian civilians is worth it if a few Hamas leaders are included among the dead ) there appears to be a deafening silence from the world community.

I am not a political junkie nor an amateur historian who has reams of knowledge to aid him, but does anyone else perceive a double standard between what appears to be to very similar instances of military overkill by two highly industrialized nations?

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
They didn't. Don't get me

They didn't. Don't get me wrong, they were great ships. It was a shame that the Shinano was sunk by a sub before it saw any action. The Yamato and Musashi were also sunk. They were caught by a simple fact that Japan was actually the first to recognize. Battleships are defenseless to air attacks. The Yamato was attacked by nearly 1000 aircraft and sunk off the Phillipines.

-Me

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Just a side note, but

Quote:
Just a side note, but when Russia was recently waging war in neighboring Georgia and relying upon their traditional military *tactics ( * ie, if it moves, it dies ) they were mostly chastised by the world community, including the US government.  Is that a fair assessment ?

Well, they weren't chastized by me. My impression was that Georgia was the foolish aggressor and that the Russians had actually excercised exceptional care in isolating Georgian military assets from non-combatants (every eye-witness I've heard to this date attests this). The fact that the Georgian government has done little but lie about their actions during the conflict hardly weighs in their favor either. Sticking out tongue

No doubt the Americans got upset, since they're the ones supposed to be unzipping their fly for the world to marvel at, but anywho...

Quote:
When the State of Israel attacks Hamas and appears to engage in the same type of military tactics ( ie, killing scores of  Palastinian civilians is worth it if a few Hamas leaders are included among the dead ) there appears to be a deafening silence from the world community.

Well,

A) I disagree that there is 'deafening silence'. Everybody always seems to have something to say on the subject.

B) The issue is that this isn't as 'simple' as state-to-state warfare. Hamas is an organization that is far more than simply the governing body of Gaza; they're a many-headed guerrilla & religious gestalt. Now, I'm not so sure that the method of going-in and gunning down every single Arabian in the middle-east is such a terrific idea (there are other ways, aside from violence, to bleed away membership from such organizations), but let's be frank: state bodies only tend to use 'tried and true' methodologies for solving their problems, and the most tried and true method for dealing with hostile bodies is to forcibly annihilate said offenders.

Since there is no state infrastructure to attack, the Israeli strategy is simply to obliterate everything and thus guarantee the destruction or withdrawl of Hamas (irregardless of it's lack of formal solidity). Assuming sufficient firepower, such a strategy should also prove effective (even if you don't happen to agree with the collateral harm done to innocent bystanders)

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Dracos
User is offlineOffline
islam

Of all the superstitions that plague humanity I believe that islam is the worst.

Any superstition whose prophet marries a 6 year old but doest't begin raping her until she is 9 deserves to be in the wastebasket of history.

Any superstition that says a 13 year old girl must be stoned to death for the crime of being raped needs to be flushed.

Any one who says this life is only a prelude to a glorious afterlife is wasting oxygen and I want them to stop.

Nuke mecca!

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The Yamato was

Quote:
The Yamato was attacked by nearly 1000 aircraft and sunk off the Phillipines.

I know the Yamato was sunk (Still got a few kicks in against a few destroyers and a light carrier in a prior battle), but hadn't realized until you said this (and then I went and looked it up. Sticking out tongue ) that her sister ships had been downed too.

Good ships (and BIG too!), inferior strategy. As you already pointed-out, Aircraft > Guns, and the Japanese might've discovered this first, but a tad too late. They'd already blown-up the wrong targets at Pearl and were well behind the U.S. in constructing carrier groups (althought that carrier-sub the Japanese designed during the war might've had some real potential if it had been deployed in a timely enough manner).

Quote:

February 27, 1940

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dracos wrote:Nuke mecca!And

Dracos wrote:
Nuke mecca!
And then watch them worship the glassy black crater.

You've got to change their leadership. Disgrace the barking mad lot (or otherwise eliminate their power), get the moderates in there.

Both sides.

OK, all sides.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You've got to change

Quote:
You've got to change their leadership. Disgrace the barking mad lot (or otherwise eliminate their power), get the moderates in there.

If I may:

Their leadership has changed. Several times.

On both sides. Sticking out tongue

A resolution without violence will only come about if you can convince Hamas's followers to ditch them - which also involves dropping their dogma and bronze-age cultural beliefs. If the industrialized world could somehow convince the vast majority of muslims to join us in enjoying the 21st century and moving forward, w would likely see the end of these clashes.

EDIT: Hitchens said it best. The road leading away from poverty & strife will be paved with the liberation of women.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Dracos
User is offlineOffline
islam

Would they worship the glass,glow in the dark hole?  One of their strongest beliefs is that their god is superior to all others.  They all say that don't they.  Anyway if mecca was a radioactive hole, I think it would open some eyes.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:One of their strongest

Quote:

One of their strongest beliefs is that their god is superior to all others.

No, their strongest belief is that their God is the only one and there are no others.

-Me

Books about atheism

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:If I

Kevin R Brown wrote:
If I may:

Their leadership has changed. Several times.

On both sides. :P

Yes, the people have changed. A lot. The ideology remains. On all sides.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
A resolution without violence will only come about if you can convince Hamas's followers to ditch them - which also involves dropping their dogma and bronze-age cultural beliefs. If the industrialized world could somehow convince the vast majority of muslims to join us in enjoying the 21st century and moving forward, w would likely see the end of these clashes.
Hamas, yes, and Israel and anyone else with a stake in the end-times have to ditch the bronze age too.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
EDIT: Hitchens said it best. The road leading away from poverty & strife will be paved with the liberation of women.
I love that drunken, chain-smoking dude.

It has been noted by many that religion tends to fall to the wayside as economic and social conditions improve. If Israel et al were interested in bringing the conflict to an end, thier best bet would be to suppliment the Palastinian infrastructure. In a generation or two it would become very difficult to find anyone interested in going kaboom for Alah.

It's a shame no one who is in a position to end it all is really interested in ending it.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dracos wrote:Would they

Dracos wrote:
Would they worship the glass,glow in the dark hole?
Jusding by the way other cults deal with such failures (people sink even deeper into the delusion) I am very certain they would.

Dracos wrote:
One of their strongest beliefs is that their god is superior to all others.  They all say that don't they.
As DG said: They think their sky-fairy is the only real sky-fairy. And yes, they all say that.

Dracos wrote:
Anyway if mecca was a radioactive hole, I think it would open some eyes.
Some, yes. Mostly those who already harbor some real doubt. The rest would likely become even deeper believers. The Abrahamic religions thrive on the idea of suffering and persecution.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
It seems the Gaza parties

It seems the Gaza parties are either Communist (PFLP etc....) or Islamic extremist (Hamas etc...)

Both groups have attacked Israel and are fighting each other.

So either way, unless something is done, Israel is either going to be attacked by Communists or Islamic extremist, whichever one gets the upper hand.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Should atheists show solidarity with Palestinian muslims?

Although, I am critical of Israeli foreign policy and in particular this bombing/invasion, I would never stand with the Palestinians in protest. They voted for Hamas who advocate an Islamic theocracy:

Hamas and Islamic penal code

As an atheist, I have no sympathy for people who democratically elect a Taliban-like regime.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Quote:As an atheist, I have

Quote:
As an atheist, I have no sympathy for people who democratically elect a Taliban-like regime.

Shit, as an atheist, the logical standpoint on this entire situation is one giant merry-go-round that will never stop so, load up the stealth bombers and end their retarded feuds once and for all.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:..... but

jcgadfly wrote:

..... but when did the Palestinians get an air force?

They recently purchased a hang glider.  They will train their pilot to be able to perform combat maneuvers while simultaneously using a revolver to defend himself against any other attacking aircraft. 

He will also reportedly fill his pants pockets with rocks so that he will have the capacity to attack ground targets by flying overhead and chunking them with all his might.

I will try to provide a link later.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Dracos wrote:Nuke

Dracos wrote:

Nuke mecca!

Sure, add a couple more hundred thousand innocent civilians to the "unnecessary causilties list"

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Sure, add a couple

Quote:
Sure, add a couple more hundred thousand innocent civilians to the "unnecessary causilties list"

Hey, have a chat with all the white, overly patriotic rednecks:  "Kill 'em all; let God sort 'em out."

GIT 'R DUN!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override

Sage_Override wrote:

Quote:

Hey, have a chat with all the white, overly patriotic rednecks:  "Kill 'em all; let God sort 'em out."

GIT 'R DUN!

I've never seen "Larry the Cable Guy goes to Mecca."

Is it good?