Here we explain our reasoning behind the theories of extraterrestrial life and other astronomical theories.

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Here we explain our reasoning behind the theories of extraterrestrial life and other astronomical theories.

Alright, I have a few ideas to debate/converse upon.

1.  Extraterrestrial life.

Personally I think it is hard for one to believe there is NOT extraterrestrial life, given the size of the universe.  However, whether this life is intelligent is a different topic.

2.  A "Multiverse"?

I do not have the background to explain how there could be other universes beyond this one, so if someone does please tell me what your opinion is.  Personally I think that it is plausible.  But it is also reasonable that the laws of this universe break down when leaving its confines, and when we try to think or pull a gedanken, we just create mathematical constructs that cannot work in another, different universe.  

3.  Worm Holes.

Sure they are mathematically possible.  But you would need an immensely anti-massive, uh... anti-mass to counteract the mass of the black hole.  

4.  Warp Drive.

Possible?  Currently we are working on how to bend space (more than usual, of course) so that we can create a warp drive.  It would get us to a point faster than light speed not by actually travelling faster than light itself, but by expanding space behind a vessel and compressing it in front of said vessel.  Theoretically we could travel many times the speed of light (read: 300X) if we could create such a device.  

Evolution cannot be debated. 'Tis real.

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 It appears that I have

It appears that I have opened a can of worms.  

Mining asteroids isn't like voyaging to a faraway land, it's like shooting a bullet filled with mining equipment towards a speck of matter flying at thousands of miles per hour, speeding away.  Then you have to land just so on a spinning rock.  We have only landed on an asteroid once, and even then we didn't believe we could.  Sure, the potential payoff is astounding, but is more reasonable to mine a planet.  You have gravity, night and day, essentially everything but an ecosystem.  As for the Dyson Sphere/Ring World argument, it's utterly impossible and impractical.  Setting up and terraforming planets is the most plausible method of colonizing the solar system.  Mining those planets to make a habitable surface when there already is one doesn't make any sense at all.  I get the concept, but it waaay more practical to just land on another planet and set up camp.  When you take into account anchoring the sphere to a planet, well that's just crazy.  Having another planetary amount of mass by it would set up all kinds of gravitational problems and the planet would probably go batshit crazy and spin out of orbit.  Not to mention that you would have to set the sphere up at just the right distance not to be burned up by the sun when you lay the first piece.  I am in favor of terraforming a planet, or creating a biosphere that orbits the Earth.  It's best to start small with these technological difficulties, then once we've figured out the details we can progress.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Megatron wrote:Mining

Megatron wrote:

Mining asteroids isn't like voyaging to a faraway land, it's like shooting a bullet filled with mining equipment towards a speck of matter flying at thousands of miles per hour, speeding away.  Then you have to land just so on a spinning rock.  We have only landed on an asteroid once, and even then we didn't believe we could.

Hardly an insurmountable hurdle. We've done it once, with old technology. We're talking about new technology. Technology improves at an exponential pace. This is not a solid objection.

Quote:
  Sure, the potential payoff is astounding, but is more reasonable to mine a planet.

Unless you're trying to build something in space, in which case, mining from a planet takes a huge amount of energy to transport into space, due to Earth's gravity well. Better to mine from an asteroid and transport to a desired orbit. The energy required to handle this can be harnessed easily from the sun, either using solar sails or solar collectors and ion propulsion (which we already have a prototype for).

Another alternative, which my argument does *not* rely on, is some form of cheap transport into space, such as a space elevator or a launch loop or a launch ramp or a space gun. There are lots of options. However, that's only sufficient for initial mining, and in relatively small amounts. It will still be very expensive compared to mining an asteroid. Maybe we'll develop an orbital station using Earth-mined resources, but later on, we'll want to send out ships to the asteroids for their resources.

Quote:
As for the Dyson Sphere/Ring World argument, it's utterly impossible and impractical.  Setting up and terraforming planets is the most plausible method of colonizing the solar system.  Mining those planets to make a habitable surface when there already is one doesn't make any sense at all.  I get the concept, but it waaay more practical to just land on another planet and set up camp.  When you take into account anchoring the sphere to a planet, well that's just crazy.  Having another planetary amount of mass by it would set up all kinds of gravitational problems and the planet would probably go batshit crazy and spin out of orbit.  Not to mention that you would have to set the sphere up at just the right distance not to be burned up by the sun when you lay the first piece.  I am in favor of terraforming a planet, or creating a biosphere that orbits the Earth.  It's best to start small with these technological difficulties, then once we've figured out the details we can progress.

Dyson forest is far easier to accomplish than terraforming. It requires less technology and less up-front investment. The only tech needed is self-replicating biospheres. This is far more plausible than massive atmospheric generation projects which would need a huge energy investment and many years to get anywhere close to a sizeable atmosphere.

In the mean time, you would have to invest in self-replicating biosphere technology *anyway* to maintain bases on planet surfaces to keep the terraforming machinery running.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Other life in the universe

This is not a matter of belief even if you say it that way casually. Nor is it a matter of probability as probability is derivative of the sample size. We know of life on earth and no place else so we have a sample size of one. With a single sample no statistics are possible.

But the real issue this always leads to is, is there other intelligent life in the universe. Skipping the worn jokes about not finding any on Earth there is a very simple observation.

There are many real and imagined difficulties of traveling to other star systems. There are still dozens of unidentified lights seen in the sky every night on earth given the rate of seeing them when they were commonly reported. Back when they were commonly reported the percentage of "unexplained" was never lower than 5% and usually rounded off to 10%. But is 1% of that 5%, that is 0.05%, really is some space alien visitor then with all the real and imagined problems of interstellar traveled the Earth is a popular tourist destination. That would be about one a month.

Personally I don't think it likely unless interstellar travel is abysmally easy, mundane and even boring else the first thing to do would be to say hello. And please do not invent a "prime directive" for them as that was the premise for violating it in Star Trek.

As for all the difficulties, no matter how hard and how slow you imagine interstellar travel to be all of those are dwarfed by the billions of years age even of our galaxy. Elsewhere I have worked out a simple scenario to make this happen. In summary, people mine asteroids and comets for raw materials. After maybe ten thousand years it becomes more credible to live in space and build cities there rather than return to a planet's surface. Give it another ten thousand years before population has increased enough to have "mined out" this solar system and move to another one. Make it ten thousand years to get to another one and repeat the process. The different space cities will head to different stars. Give it all thirty thousand years to repeat the cycle. In a billion years the galaxy is filled with the initial civilization. Our galaxy is some ten billion years old.

The question always comes back to the Fermi paradox, Where are they? The only elementary explanation for not seeing them is that we are alone.

However I have another explanation. Given a fully settled universe there would still be new intelligent species appearing like us 100,000 years ago or Neanderthal maybe 400,000 years ago. While each civilization out there might have perfect records of its appearance and first meeting with visitors it would not answer the question as to the first intelligence to appear in the universe. How would it evolve?

So they set up an experiment. They find us, put a shield around the solar system, and study our development without knowledge we are not alone. We do not see them as that would contaminate the experiment. We do not see signs of them in the night sky because they have shieldest us from seeing those signs. And of course this is a "just so story" and the kind of experiment we might conduct so it anthropomorphizes all of "them." And I do not support it nor do I intend to write an SF story about it so anyone is free to use the idea. Perhaps an alien debate on the ethics of this experiment as the crux of the story which also ridicules Star Trek. "You would let billions of them die instead of giving them the benefit of immortality?!!? How invulcan of you."

The bottom line is "we are alone" and "we are being experimented on" are both appeals to our exceptionalism whereas all scientific progress has resulted from the presumption we are average and nothing special. Of course that is betting the same horse that won in the past will win in the future and there is no guarantee of it. But there is no reason to retreat from "we are average" until there is evidence to the contrary.

Some day we may have an answer to Fermi's question.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:The

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
The bottom line is "we are alone" and "we are being experimented on" are both appeals to our exceptionalism whereas all scientific progress has resulted from the presumption we are average and nothing special. Of course that is betting the same horse that won in the past will win in the future and there is no guarantee of it. But there is no reason to retreat from "we are average" until there is evidence to the contrary.

Some day we may have an answer to Fermi's question.

But we already know we are not 'average'. The Earth is the only planet in the solar system with signs of life. That already stuffs the 'we are average' assumption. If we were average, we would expect life to be everywhere, as it is everywhere on our planet.

I want to re-iterate a common myth. The old saying goes "Absence of proof is not proof of absence." The key word is 'proof'. Not 'evidence'. Unfortunately, a common myth about this saying has transformed it into "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." However, that morphed version is wrong.

If you expect to find sand in a box, and you look in the box, and there's no evidence of sand, then the fact that you looked and didn't find anything is evidence that there's no sand in the box. Now, maybe there's a few grains hidden in one of the corners. So, you look closer, but still no evidence of sand. This is still stronger evidence that there's no sand in the box. The closer you look, the stronger the case can be made.

We've looked for life in our solar system. Not everywhere, but in some places that we might expect to find it. No evidence. Clearly, there's no evidence of thriving life, or intelligent life. This is clear evidence that there is no thriving or intelligent life in our solar system.

My argument about not seeing space-faring life is the same way. Such life, if it existed would rapidly fill the galaxy. The galaxy is my box. I'm expecting to find lots of sand in this box, if there is space-faring life besides us. But we look, and we see no sand. No radio signals of any kind, no patches of missing stars (which is what the whole Dyson sphere idea is about; an advanced space-faring life form would tend to grow to absorb most of its star's visible light), no space ships flying about in our own solar system, no visitors, no nothing. Since we might expect to see it, and we don't, this is evidence that there isn't any in our galaxy.

Granted, we don't have the resolution to look very closely, but we can be sure that advanced life has not permeated the entire galaxy. The better we get at looking out there, and if we still don't see anything, the stronger the case can be made that we are indeed alone, at least in this galaxy.

As for the 'we are being experimented on' hypothesis: It's an idea for a sci-fi story, but it's an unfalsifiable hypothesis. You can always imagine that the aliens are even more advanced and even more clever that "Really, they're everywhere, but you just can't detect them in any way." Much like God on that count.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Dyson forest is far

Quote:
Dyson forest is far easier to accomplish than terraforming. It requires less technology and less up-front investment. The only tech needed is self-replicating biospheres. This is far more plausible than massive atmospheric generation projects which would need a huge energy investment and many years to get anywhere close to a sizeable atmosphere.

Well, to be fair, terraforming Mars would actually be quite simple, even with modern technology. A project that could probably be done in a matter of decades if we bothered with it.

It's more or less simply a matter of landing a few probes full of whatever the most resilent strains of CO2-dependent, photosynthesizing plants/algae/bacteria we have here on Earth on the polar regions of Mars. They would serve to start building the biosphere, and after that, it's just a matter of artificially ramping-up the process as the biosphere becomes more and more complete (there's already sufficient water locked away in the poles of mars to get a nice & thick atmosphere, but the pressure is too low for it to become liquid. Plants breathing all kinds of gass into the presently thin martian atmosphere would solve this problem).

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:I take offense

natural wrote:

I take offense at that. I *am* one of the nerds.

Then clearly, I was not addressing you.

natural wrote:
I'm definitely not one who proposes solar-system colonization as a way to relieve population pressure, nor am I one who is complacent to wreck the Earth. In fact, that's exactly what I'm fighting *against*.

Obviously I'm still not talking about you, then.

natural wrote:
My whole philosophy poses the question to me constantly: Assuming we do spread out into the galaxy, will we be worthy of it? Will we just become the new interstellar bacteria, consuming and destroying as we go? Or can we become something better?

Life is just about life, it's not about "better". We'd be spreading life, but not necessarily to benefit anything else. Given the size of the universe, we'd just be moving mass around, really. Despite my rant, I don't have a problem with that. But to expect that we'll all-of-a-sudden turn into something we're not is quaint, but not probable.

natural wrote:
I am completely against what I call 'consumptionism', which is basically what you're railing against.

I've heard the word "consumerism" used for it, too, but let's be honest: it's an extension of life. Life tries to get away with what it can while it can, and it only stops when it can't get away with it any more. It's just that our energy until recently has been limited, so we find ourselves in a unique period of history where we can do all these things that could aid in our downfall, and technological advancement (in terms of consumer goods) is still our focus.

The only real teacher is limitation.

natural wrote:
However, solar-system colonization is inevitable -- assuming we don't blow ourselves up first.

You mean before the sun fizzles out? That kind of inevitable?

natural wrote:
Oh, and Will, notice the word 'sustainable'. That's the ticket for political change down here. That's the argument you should be making. We need a sustainable society for two reasons: So the Earth doesn't die, and so we can colonize space responsibly. The same argument solves both of the problems you've raised.

Sustainable is a wonderful word. In your mind, try this experiment: create a human population that uses its resources sustainably. Energy would be limited to available solar: wind, hydroelectric, geothermal, tidal, etc. Food would be limited to that which can be produced using naturally arable land, without the use of Green Revolution technology (i.e. petrochemicals). The population would be limited to the amount of food that could be produced (as food is energy), just as it always has been, and transportation would be considerably different.

To get to there from here, what kind of death toll do you figure would have to occur from starvation? What kind of mass migration out of deserts would be required? What energy source would take us even to the moon, much less farther? Energy is the key to all of that, be it in the form of food, or in the form of fuel. What do we do for energy, how much is available, and how can it be stored? That will determine what we can do, not anything else.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:It's

Kevin R Brown wrote:

It's more or less simply a matter of landing a few probes full of whatever the most resilent strains of CO2-dependent, photosynthesizing plants/algae/bacteria we have here on Earth on the polar regions of Mars. 

NASA is already working on that, but read the article:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2005/mars_plants.html

Let's say we do get plants going up there. How many thousands of years would it take for these plants to produce an atmosphere?

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Kevin R

HisWillness wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

It's more or less simply a matter of landing a few probes full of whatever the most resilent strains of CO2-dependent, photosynthesizing plants/algae/bacteria we have here on Earth on the polar regions of Mars. 

NASA is already working on that, but read the article:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2005/mars_plants.html

Let's say we do get plants going up there. How many thousands of years would it take for these plants to produce an atmosphere?

There have been estimates of 100 years, 1000 years, or even 10000 years for Mars to become a habitable biosphere.  There other details such as correct gas percentages.  Do all plants produce the same proportion of waste gases?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote: That would make

Quote:
 That would make the trip to Alpha Centauri somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1000 years, and that's with my conservative 0.01c. 

You mean the thousand years I'm silly for extrapolating?  But... people will still care in a thousand years that a thousand year old machine is at another star?  And we'll still have essentially the same organizations around, and they'll know what to do with whatever information we get from it?

Sounds.... implausible.

DG and Will have made some very good points about the energy problems with this kind of thing, but I'd like to make another point based on something we all seem to be in agreement on.  Knowledge is not the only thing that is cumulative and exponential (If I can use exponential in a very crude colloquial way).   Technical hurdles are, too.  I grant you that if the only problem with interstellar collonization was prolonged weightlessness or waste management or food production, I'd say it would be likely that we'd solve the problem and go to the stars.  But it's not the only problem.  There are three distinct kinds of problems with interstellar travel:

1) Human problems - psychological issues with isolation, confinement, pointlessness, etc;  political problems of organizing, funding, and executing plans that will not come to fruition in the lifetimes of the people funding them;  Moral problems with spending massive amounts of money on space when earth needs it;  Etc, etc, etc...

2) Technological problems - the things we have actual potential solutions for, like getting to 0.01c, are the smallest of the technical hurdles, and they're still considerable.  Many of the technical problems require completely imaginary technology that we just hope is possible.  Each of these technical problems causes additional complications in other technical areas.  So we figure out how to transport an ecosystem into space to grow organic material.  Great, but now we just added 200% more weight.  Fantastic... we've figured out how to shield humans from radiation, but the energy requirement for the solution means we don't have enough energy to sustain the waste recycling facilities.

3) Ecological problems - Global warming is real, and so is overfishing and the destruction of the rainforests.  Once we fuck up the environment badly enough, our current post-industrial lifestyle simply isn't going to be an option anymore.

The thing is, within any of these three categories, problems compound and complicate matters, but all three categories compound and complicate each other, too.  So we're not talking about just solving a physics problem.  I grant that there might well be theoretically possible solutions to the question: How do we put men on other planets?  I maintain that the likelihood of any of them ever becoming realized is so vanishingly small as to be dismissed.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:A cosmologically

Quote:
A cosmologically short-term biosphere is quite possible to create using plants for food (as they photosynthesize the abundant solar energy, no longer held at bay by an atmosphere away from the Earth) as well as oxygen;

Wait... didn't you say this was out at the asteroid belt?  Do you know how much less sunlight there is out there?  Uranus isn't a frozen ball of gas (49K or so) for nothing.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Being outside of an

Being outside of an atmosphere, most asteroids (at roughly 1.5 or so AU away from the sun) recieve roughly equivalent sunlight energy that the Earth recieves at the surface.

Uranus is the second furthest planet from the sun, Hamby. The asteroids are considerably closer. Sticking out tongue

Moreover, none of the gas giants are 'frozen'. Nearing their central regions most are incredibly hot, becoming more temperate closer to the outer layers and finally becoming cryogenic at the outermost layers.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:How many thousands of

Quote:
How many thousands of years would it take for these plants to produce an atmosphere?

Mars already *has* an atmosphere. It's just thin, and comprised mostly of CO2. Calculating how long it would take to get a good mix of oxygen propagated throughout the planet is simply a matter of figuring-out how much oxygen each plant will produce and getting a good estimate on how much of the planet they will propagate through / how quickly.

No magic / future tech / huge expenses required.

*Shrugs*

Quote:

February 27, 1940

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Mars

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Mars already *has* an atmosphere. It's just thin, and comprised mostly of CO2. Calculating how long it would take to get a good mix of oxygen propagated throughout the planet is simply a matter of figuring-out how much oxygen each plant will produce and getting a good estimate on how much of the planet they will propagate through / how quickly.

No magic / future tech / huge expenses required.

So ... all we have to do is manufacture a plant that can withstand unfiltered solar radiation, can tolerate extremely low temperatures, and requires next to no gas pressure for photorespiration? Oh, and can extract water from ice. Yeah, no problem! We've got this one covered in a jiffy.

If the plants are on the surface at all, they'll have to be in monitored, enclosed domes. Their water supply is a tricky proposition, but not unsurmountable. It's possible that we'd be able to land a plant-dome on Mars. But if anything went wrong, we'd have to keep sending plant domes. Then out-gas the oxygen? Again, possible, sure - it would just take thousands of years.

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Hardly an

Quote:
Hardly an insurmountable hurdle. We've done it once, with old technology. We're talking about new technology. Technology improves at an exponential pace. This is not a solid objection.

True.  I'm not saying that it's impossible, just harder than landing on a planet.

Quote:
  Sure, the potential payoff is astounding, but is more reasonable to mine a planet.

Quote:
Unless you're trying to build something in space, in which case, mining from a planet takes a huge amount of energy to transport into space, due to Earth's gravity well. Better to mine from an asteroid and transport to a desired orbit. The energy required to handle this can be harnessed easily from the sun, either using solar sails or solar collectors and ion propulsion (which we already have a prototype for).

Well I thought about it, and if you do the right things, it will be a LOT easier to haul ore and such.

Quote:
Another alternative, which my argument does *not* rely on, is some form of cheap transport into space, such as a space elevator or a launch loop or a launch ramp or a space gun. There are lots of options. However, that's only sufficient for initial mining, and in relatively small amounts. It will still be very expensive compared to mining an asteroid. Maybe we'll develop an orbital station using Earth-mined resources, but later on, we'll want to send out ships to the asteroids for their resources.

Space elevators require a transport ribbon (the thing the elevator rides up) to be extremely strong and flexible.  Stronger than steel.  For the initial mining stage other methods would be more economical.

Quote:

I have no idea what a Dyson sphere is, please explain.  Sorry for my ignorance.

Quote:
In the mean time, you would have to invest in self-replicating biosphere technology *anyway* to maintain bases on planet surfaces to keep the terraforming machinery running.

Well I can't argue with you there.  

I will now predict that my first use of the quote feature will be a failure.  Eye-wink

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:natural

HisWillness wrote:

natural wrote:

I take offense at that. I *am* one of the nerds.

Then clearly, I was not addressing you.

You made a blanket statement about people who defend space colonization. But whatever.

Quote:
natural wrote:
My whole philosophy poses the question to me constantly: Assuming we do spread out into the galaxy, will we be worthy of it? Will we just become the new interstellar bacteria, consuming and destroying as we go? Or can we become something better?

Life is just about life, it's not about "better". We'd be spreading life, but not necessarily to benefit anything else. Given the size of the universe, we'd just be moving mass around, really. Despite my rant, I don't have a problem with that. But to expect that we'll all-of-a-sudden turn into something we're not is quaint, but not probable.

Who said anything about 'all of a sudden'? Please don't put words in my mouth. Social change can and does happen, by the way.

Quote:
natural wrote:
I am completely against what I call 'consumptionism', which is basically what you're railing against.

I've heard the word "consumerism" used for it, too, but let's be honest: it's an extension of life.

My usage of consumptionism is more general than consumerism. Consumptionism applies to any system that short-sightedly consumes without considering long-term consequences, such as ecological collapse. Consumerism is only one form of consumptionism.

Quote:
Life tries to get away with what it can while it can, and it only stops when it can't get away with it any more. It's just that our energy until recently has been limited, so we find ourselves in a unique period of history where we can do all these things that could aid in our downfall, and technological advancement (in terms of consumer goods) is still our focus.

You speak as if the way things are, are the way things always will remain. "Life is X, and there's no use fighting it." Well, I happen to disagree. See, we have this thing called intelligence... But this is a separate discussion and I don't want to follow it in this thread.

Quote:
natural wrote:
However, solar-system colonization is inevitable -- assuming we don't blow ourselves up first.

You mean before the sun fizzles out? That kind of inevitable?

Assuming we don't blow ourselves up first, yes, that kind of inevitable. The kind of inevitable that says if you leave meat out, it will rot.

Even if we happen to blow ourselves up, if enough species survive, then in another 50-100 million years there's a good chance some species will get the chance again. Me, I'd prefer that we do it ourselves, and not blow ourselves up.

Quote:
Sustainable is a wonderful word. In your mind, try this experiment: create a human population that uses its resources sustainably. Energy would be limited to available solar: wind, hydroelectric, geothermal, tidal, etc. Food would be limited to that which can be produced using naturally arable land, without the use of Green Revolution technology (i.e. petrochemicals). The population would be limited to the amount of food that could be produced (as food is energy), just as it always has been, and transportation would be considerably different.

To get to there from here, what kind of death toll do you figure would have to occur from starvation?

That question would require too much specific speculation, and your scenario doesn't provide enough information. Between now and then, we could easily blow ourselves up, for instance.

On the other hand, if everything went the right way, then we could limit the deaths from starvation to no more than what they are now. However, between these two extremes, it is nearly impossible to say what *will* happen.

I can only speculate on what *could* happen, in an optimistic scenario, which is why I always give the caveat 'assuming we don't blow ourselves up'.

Here is an optimistic scenario: The amount of energy we *currently* use globally *could*, in theory, be gathered from solar energy from a small patch of the Sahara desert (I seem to recall that the parch would be about the size of Israel, but I cannot recall for sure the exact size). This is not to say that this is practical in the short term. It is only to show that the amount of solar energy that falls on the Earth is incredibly enormous, compared to a) how much we use currently, and b) how much we actually harvest.

So, in this optimistic scenario, the US stops all wars, and devotes half of its military budget into a huge global research project to improve solar collectors to something like 30-50% efficiency. Currently I think it's around 17% or something, and it's very expensive. So the other part of the research would be to reduce its cost. This may require developing new materials, and may require nanotech research, etc.

So, give that 20-40 years, and maybe we could achieve that dream. Who knows? It doesn't seem technically implausible to me, although getting the US to stop being so militaristic seems the bigger challenge. But anyway, this is an optimistic scenario.

So, we have cheap solar power, the next thing we need is a global energy grid. Honestly, this is mostly logistics.

Storing energy. There are a lot of possibilities. Nature's done a good job with synthesizing carbon compounds to hold hydrogen, so we have a few options there: Lipids, carbohydrates, hydrocarbons. It's possible we could use some of that research money to figure out an economical way to store liquid hydrogen. There may be other techniques I'm not aware of.

If we stick with carbon-related storage, we'll need better ways to burn it.

Assuming we can solve all those problems, the other major problem is population. Two solutions: Eliminate poverty, and provide universal education. These are political and logistical problems, not technological ones. The internet should be a huge boon for the education one.

As for poverty, microloans are one idea. But really the big things that needs to change is governments.

So, we have relatively cheap energy and smart people who aren't starving. Educated people naturally have fewer children (fact, look it up). Population levels off, or starts to reduce naturally, without starvation. See Europe in the past 40 years for example, where growth rate has dropped dramatically. Canada has lower-than-replacement birth rate, and only manages to grow due to immigration. The US is an exception, where uneducated religious people fuck like bunnies.

In all of this, the hardest part is really a shift in people's mindsets from consumptionism to sustainability. In this, education is the number one tool we can use to achieve the goal. Education supports research/technology, elimination of poverty, and population reduction.

Now, I have already admitted this is an optimistic scenario. But I don't think it is technically impossible, and as such, I don't think it's an impossible ideal. It is an ideal that, while it may take longer than hoped, it may have kinks to work out, is worth having as a goal. It's an ideal similar to the elimination of slavery, the growth of democracy, and the survival of the Cold War. In fact, our biggest obstacle is ignorance, with religion being a huge culprit. Hence my interest in the RRS.

Quote:
What kind of mass migration out of deserts would be required? What energy source would take us even to the moon, much less farther? Energy is the key to all of that, be it in the form of food, or in the form of fuel. What do we do for energy, how much is available, and how can it be stored? That will determine what we can do, not anything else.

Oversimplistic. What determines what we can do is also our mindset. If we had all the energy in the world, and remained in a consumptionistic mindset, we would inevitably blow ourselves up. All it takes is a few theocrats with nukes, or in the future who knows what destructive technologies we might unleash.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Uranus is the second

Quote:
Uranus is the second furthest planet from the sun, Hamby. The asteroids are considerably closer. Sticking out tongue

Hmmm... got me there.  I admit I was thinking of the Kuiper belt, not the asteroid belt.  The asteroid belt is past Mars.  Mars has very little atmosphere, and reaches daily high temperatures of around -51F, and has even once reached a balmy -23F, if Wikipedia is to be believed.  If less sunlight is getting filtered by Mars' puny little atmosphere, that suggests that significantly less solar radiation is hitting Mars than Earth, and that's just about where the asteroid belt starts.

And you're going to grow food there, right?

Quote:
Moreover, none of the gas giants are 'frozen'. Nearing their central regions most are incredibly hot, becoming more temperate closer to the outer layers and finally becoming cryogenic at the outermost layers.

So I suppose you know of magic drilling machines that are going to harness this energy for free?  I'm confused.  Why are you even mentioning this?

Books about atheism

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
 That would make the trip to Alpha Centauri somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1000 years, and that's with my conservative 0.01c. 

You mean the thousand years I'm silly for extrapolating?  But... people will still care in a thousand years that a thousand year old machine is at another star?  And we'll still have essentially the same organizations around, and they'll know what to do with whatever information we get from it?

Sounds.... implausible.

I mean, seriously Hamby, what kind of a counterargument is this?

Besides, I notice that, despite your protestations about not wanting to argue this subject, you keep replying. Why don't you just admit you're fascinated by the topic? Eye-wink

Your thousand years was about how much technological progress we could make. My thousand years is about trip time. What kind of comparison are you trying to make? Seems like a completely irrelevant comparison to me. The only thing in common are the four digits: 1 0 0 0

After the craft is launched on its way, it really doesn't matter what the people 1000 years from that point will care. They may even be extinct (say if the Sun blows up). Who knows. The only thing that matters is getting to that point of the launching, and having the people *at that time* care enough to make the launch in the first place.

But, assuming the people around Sol do survive for the 1000 years it takes for the craft to get to Alpha Centauri, then can you really imagine that they wouldn't care to hear how the mission went? They would have no curiosity at all? I really can't believe you're trying to make such an argument. It's totally ludicrous.

Imagine that the Greeks, before the Dark Ages, had managed to send out a ship to Alpha Centauri. And imagine that we still had a record of the mission. Enough information to expect that it really happened and it's really out there.

Do you *really* think that people today, scientists especially, would go, "Well, who gives a shit? I couldn't care less to learn about Alpha Centauri, nor to hear from people who's culture is 2000 years old." Gah! What a crappy argument. You can do better, Hamby.

If there are humans alive, then someone will care. I'm more sure of that than I am sure of anything else in my argument.

And if you're making the equally weak argument that because people alive at the time of the launch will not be alive 1000 years later, and so "Why should they bother?", I can make a similar counter. Why do people make time capsules? It's fun. Why did the Pharoahs build the Pyramids? Vanity. Why did the 300 fight off the Persians? Glory. Why do people put money in trust funds for their kids education? Hope. Why do they leave inheritances behind? Legacy. Why did some Native Americans think 7 generations into the future? Honor.

Why do *I* care what happens 1000 years from now? I do. I'm asking you why that is. I think for me it is wonder.

People do things with an eye to the future because they can, and because it satisfies an emotional desire. If I had the resources to send a craft to Alpha Centauri, I wouldn't hesitate.

Now, it comes down to resources. I don't think you've read all my posts, because I think I've made a pretty good argument that the amount of resources required to send a craft to AC will be miniscule by the time the solar system is colonized. The amount of energy to send a craft to AC is miniscule compared to the amount of solar energy that can be harvested by a solar system full of solar collectors.

Why did the US send someone to the moon? What was it? 12 times? Whatever it was, it wasn't *solely* to beat the Russians to the punch, although that was part of it. And even if it was part of it, that's yet another plausible reason: To say, "Yes! We did it first!"

Why did whatzisname climb Mt Everest? Because it was there.

Now, I ask you, Why not?

Quote:
DG and Will have made some very good points about the energy problems with this kind of thing

No, they only argued against a massive Earth-based mission in an unpopulated solar system. They did not even touch the argument about solar-system colonization using self-replicating biospheres. Neither have you, by the way.

Quote:
, but I'd like to make another point based on something we all seem to be in agreement on.  Knowledge is not the only thing that is cumulative and exponential (If I can use exponential in a very crude colloquial way).   Technical hurdles are, too.  I grant you that if the only problem with interstellar collonization was prolonged weightlessness or waste management or food production, I'd say it would be likely that we'd solve the problem and go to the stars.  But it's not the only problem.  There are three distinct kinds of problems with interstellar travel:

1) Human problems - psychological issues with isolation, confinement, pointlessness, etc;

This is why I think you haven't read all my posts. I dealt with this one in my very first reply to you. You don't send living people, you send a machine that can create living people (through cloning and biotech). If machine consciousness is possible, you can just have mechanical bodies and switch them on at arrival.

Quote:
  political problems of organizing, funding, and executing plans that will not come to fruition in the lifetimes of the people funding them;  Moral problems with spending massive amounts of money on space when earth needs it;  Etc, etc, etc...

Again, the resources will be miniscule. It will be like another Moon mission or Mars mission, just longer travel time. The only limit is energy, and there's tons of that in space.

Quote:
So we figure out how to transport an ecosystem into space to grow organic material.  Great, but now we just added 200% more weight.  Fantastic... we've figured out how to shield humans from radiation, but the energy requirement for the solution means we don't have enough energy to sustain the waste recycling facilities.

Again, my proposal does not require transporting living material. The most difficult technology it will require is biotech and manufacturing, to allow biospheres to replicate. Once you've got that puzzle worked out, and I admit it will be challenging (but not implausibly so), then the evolution of biospheres will take over (inside our solar system), developing all sorts of innovations in how to manage radiation, what's the optimal size biosphere, resource acquisition, propulsion, etc. Once the solar system is filled with all sorts of various biospheres, collecting the right technology to send to Alpha Centauri will be a piece of cake, relatively speaking (compared to trying to design everything from scratch).

Quote:
3) Ecological problems - Global warming is real, and so is overfishing and the destruction of the rainforests.  Once we fuck up the environment badly enough, our current post-industrial lifestyle simply isn't going to be an option anymore.

As I said to Will, this is not an argument against interstellar colonization, it's an argument *for* political and social change here on Earth. Once you have self-replicating biospheres in the solar system, the Earth could theoretically die and the people in space could survive to carry out interstellar colonization. This would completely suck, but it's not an argument against interstellar travel/colonization.

Quote:
The thing is, within any of these three categories, problems compound and complicate matters, but all three categories compound and complicate each other, too.  So we're not talking about just solving a physics problem.

Funny, your initial objection was that the physics was just too implausible. Have you given that line of attack up?

Quote:
I grant that there might well be theoretically possible solutions to the question: How do we put men on other planets?  I maintain that the likelihood of any of them ever becoming realized is so vanishingly small as to be dismissed.

Well, since you haven't really addressed my core argument, this sounds to me like: "Well, even though there seem to be straightforward solutions to all the problems I've raised... I still think it's never going to happen."

All I can say is, you're welcome to your opinion, but that's not a good argument.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:The

Hambydammit wrote:
The asteroid belt is past Mars.  Mars has very little atmosphere, and reaches daily high temperatures of around -51F, and has even once reached a balmy -23F, if Wikipedia is to be believed.  If less sunlight is getting filtered by Mars' puny little atmosphere, that suggests that significantly less solar radiation is hitting Mars than Earth, and that's just about where the asteroid belt starts.

And you're going to grow food there, right?

You're forgetting the main reason Mars is so cold. Lack of greenhouse effect. Earth has all sorts of greenhouse gases. Mars is limited almost exclusively to CO2. Its atmosphere is just too thin to hold in much heat.

But at an asteroid, you would have an artificially insulated environment. With enough insulation, it only takes a small amount of energy to maintain a decent temperature. Next, what you need is the right wavelengths and quantity of light to support photosynthesis. The wavelengths are fine, and if Kevin is correct about the amount of light at that orbit, then it seems growing plants wouldn't be so hard after all.

Even if the amount of light is weak, you can just deploy bigger collectors and generate the right kind of light to grow plants. Obviously, in this case, you would have to trade off energy for growing plants against energy for mining.

However, my scenario involves setting up an economy of trading energy for material resources. Energy can be transmitted from close-orbit biospheres to distant-orbit biospheres with various kinds of beam transmission. The mining camps would use this energy, and send back material resources with solar sailed transports.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Megatron wrote:I have no

Megatron wrote:

Wikipedia is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

In brief, if there's an advanced enough civilization, it will grow to the point that it absorbs nearly all of its star's energy. These civilizations would be detectable because the heat energy released from the sphere would be different than the energy released from the star itself. Essentially, humans here on Earth should be able to see patches of strangely dimmed-out stars. But we don't. Which means there probably aren't these kinds of civilizations in our galaxy.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:So ... all we have to

Quote:
So ... all we have to do is manufacture a plant that can withstand unfiltered solar radiation, can tolerate extremely low temperatures, and requires next to no gas pressure for photorespiration? Oh, and can extract water from ice. Yeah, no problem! We've got this one covered in a jiffy.

We don't have to manufacture anything. We take simple organisms already adapted to living in harsh conditions (antarctica, for example, where some forms of plants are known to extract water from permafrost), put them on a probe and send it to Mars (fuck, even just incidentally include them on a probe that's headed there anyway).

What's so tough about that?

Reproduction with modification to meet the demands of the pressures ofthe new environment, in theory, will take care of the rest for us as surely as gravity takes care of anchoring our buildings to the Earth.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Megatron

natural wrote:

Megatron wrote:

In brief, if there's an advanced enough civilization, it will grow to the point that it absorbs nearly all of its star's energy. These civilizations would be detectable because the heat energy released from the sphere would be different than the energy released from the star itself. Essentially, humans here on Earth should be able to see patches of strangely dimmed-out stars. But we don't. Which means there probably aren't these kinds of civilizations in our galaxy.

Ah, thank you.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Honestly, the future

Honestly, the future can take care of itself. Unless the life extension crowd and/or the post-humanists have anything to say about that, I don't have to live then. If I am alive then, that will be the time to worry about much of this. What matters today is to solve the problems of today.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of the first things that we need to deal with is the coming energy crisis. It if fully unrealistic to expect that the petroleum mega-projects of today will still be viable in 30 years time. I can't see how we can bring new energy technologies on line fast enough to be able to avoid new petroleum mega-projects.

So yah, ANWR, the continental shelves and methane hydrates are simply going to have to happen. Those, of course, are CO2 producing technologies and we can't be still relying on them a century from now. At least not unless we deal with carbon sequestration but the science on that is not on a solid foundations yet.

While those are going on, we also need to beef up out nuclear capacity and the electrical transmission system. One interesting idea that is still in the laboratory stage is the development of “super cable”, basically superconducting cable for longer distance runs with liquid hydrogen as the cryo-fluid. Then we have both electricity for our houses and hydrogen for cars and trucks coming into out cities.

Along with that, I would love to see us put the real work needed to develop renewable power technologies for those places when it would be appropriate to deploy them. Solar Power in the dessert, wind power on mountain tops, geothermal in valleys and other ideas. Just don't expect more out of them than they can reasonably provide.

Renewable power simply cannot be the cure to all of our ills. It can however be a low cost form of power that can provide some percentage of our basic energy needs. Perhaps 10 to 20 percent of that in some places.

Actually, a friend of mine from another forum has a very interesting project going on. He found some start-up company that thinks that it can build solar cells on a level sufficient for industrial deployment and the venture capital to start the company. He did a deal with them where he gets some percentage of the first production runs for free to set up demonstration projects. He is using that to create solar farms for military bases in Arizona and New Mexico. The last time that I heard from him on the matter, he had his first base running on about 25% solar power.

Many more projects like that in different areas of renewable energy should get the ball rolling for the rest of us to start thinking about how such things could be usefully deployed.

Then, apparently, if ITER works the way they think (an experimental fusion reactor in France that should be capable of producing as much power as it consumes and will be operational quite soon), then in the 30-50 year time frame, we maybe able to use fusion here on Earth.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As far as space travel is concerned, again, let's take small steps and see what they can add up to.

For example, SpacEx,Virgin Galactic and a few other companies are working on bringing the costs down quite a bit. I would imagine that there simply must be a cost floor for standard rocketry but NASA, the Russians and so on are doing huge, inefficient bureaucratic space programs. So apparently, there is quite a bit of money being spent that really is not needed.

Then too, there is the Ansari foundation which is working to provide silly prizes to encourage those who have the resources to think about space flight. Scaled Composites spent a good deal more than they got from the first X prize and they have only reached the flight capabilities of about the first couple of Project Mercury launches. Yet, they spent a good deal less (in inflation adjusted dollars) than NASA spent for similar results.

Then too, the cost reductions are already at the point where one of the teams working on X prizes is being led by John Carmack, the video game developer. Sure, he is one of the rock stars of the video game world and as rich as Croseus from his work but even so, that should indicate where we are at as a species getting ready to think about space in a larger context.

Heck but the Ansari foundation has a section of their web site set aside for anyone who feels like dropping by to write in suggestions for future X prizes.

The prize that I suggested was the development of rocket engines that could be used not to get into space but rather for commercial semi-ballistic travel. Basically, the system would be a conventional aircraft up to about 30,000 feet and then become a ballistic missile from there. Using even reasonably conservative inputs, speeds in excess of 5,000 mi/hour are easy. That would make the world a much smaller place.

Then too, it has potential to get us into space. There is a concept of a transfer orbit, which basically is so elliptical that such a station would dip into the atmosphere every time. Not so deep as to have to worry about skin heating but close enough that a smaller craft from a semi-ballistic jet could perform a conventional rendezvous. A transfer station would need frequent re-boosting to keep it in orbit but that would be a pittance of a cost compared to putting it up in the first place.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

All of the above is based on existing science and technology and the capital requirements range from tens of millions to hundreds of millions of dollars. The time frame is spread out over about 50 years. So we certainly can do it. Or some of it, or something else that I have missed.

As I noted above, the futurists from 50 years ago turned out to be quite wrong and I don't think that they have any monopoly on wrong guesses. Even so, I hold some cautious optimism that it is at least possible.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Megatron wrote:natural

Megatron wrote:

natural wrote:

Megatron wrote:

Ah, thank you.

Woops, I meant Dyson "forest".  But I googled that.  Sounds weird, I'm still pondering its feasibility.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I mean, seriously

Quote:

A good one?  You're the one who just got onto me for predicting anything a thousand years out, and as I survey the world for the last 1000 years, I notice that not even countries can be counted on to look remotely similar, much less corporations or government agencies.  And yet... somebody's going to spend trillions of dollars to send a spaceship out with absolutely no hope of realizing any gain for a thousand years.

I think it's a very good argument.

Quote:
Besides, I notice that, despite your protestations about not wanting to argue this subject, you keep replying. Why don't you just admit you're fascinated by the topic? Eye-wink

I'm interested in people.  I'm fascinated and aggravated by how much people want to believe this claptrap.  The arguments themselves are inane.

Quote:
Your thousand years was about how much technological progress we could make.

I hope I have clarified your misunderstanding of my argument.

Quote:
The only thing that matters is getting to that point of the launching, and having the people *at that time* care enough to make the launch in the first place.

Because it's clear people care about the fate of future generations a thousand years from now.  Right.

Quote:
But, assuming the people around Sol do survive for the 1000 years it takes for the craft to get to Alpha Centauri, then can you really imagine that they wouldn't care to hear how the mission went? They would have no curiosity at all? I really can't believe you're trying to make such an argument. It's totally ludicrous.

No, it's ludicrous to think the craft would ever be launched.

Quote:
And if you're making the equally weak argument that because people alive at the time of the launch will not be alive 1000 years later, and so "Why should they bother?", I can make a similar counter. Why do people make time capsules? It's fun.

Show me a ten trillion dollar time capsule, please.

Quote:
Why did the Pharoahs build the Pyramids?

You mean those pyramids that their sons could look at and say, "LOOK WHAT MY FATHER DID!"  Yeah... no material gain  at all.

Seriously Natural, get your head around this, ok?  You know about the hypothesis of R (degree of relatedness) being the primary measure of altruism.  We do things for our kids and our grandkids, and occasionally nieces and nephews, but for the most part, the only people we will really make sacrifices for are our children.  Name me the last human project that was designed to have absolutely no gain for anyone for (let's make it easy) a hundred years.

Quote:
 Why did some Native Americans think 7 generations into the future? Honor.

Ahem...

You've been reading something written by the White Man, methinks.  No serious anthropologist has found anything approaching a noble savage, and that includes the Iroquois.

Quote:
Why do *I* care what happens 1000 years from now? I do. I'm asking you why that is. I think for me it is wonder.

I don't know you well enough to guess, but for most people, it's a combination of a couple of things.  People have a vague anxiety about the future of the earth because their cave-man brains simply can't imagine a thousand years.  The only two ways to deal with it are to dismiss it out of hand or treat it as we would something a lot closer.  That's why you get a lot of talk about environmentalism and very little action.  People feel somewhat guilty for dismissing it out of hand but they can't help being creatures of this moment.

Science nerds, I imagine, just want to see neato ray guns and transporters.  I'm an evolution geek, so I'd like to see what humans evolve into if we survive, or what the earth would look like in ten thousand years, but I really don't care either way if humanity survives.  Call me callous, but I am not a humanist.  I don't think humans have any inherent value above that which we ascribe to ourselves, and giving yourself medals is just nuts.  I believe that's why it's easier for me to look at the facts about human nature and see that neato spaceships might be neat to think about, but they're next to impossible for humans to practically achieve.  I mean, hell.  We don't even really care about going to the moon anymore.  Yeah, Mars is awesome, and the Shrub tried to drum up excitement about a manned mission.  (LOOK AT THE MONKEY!  LOOK AT THE MONKEY!  911!  TERRORISTS!)  But the fact is, only scientists are interested, and they aren't known for having ten trillion dollars to blow.  And that's just Mars.

Quote:
People do things with an eye to the future because they can, and because it satisfies an emotional desire. If I had the resources to send a craft to Alpha Centauri, I wouldn't hesitate.

Horse shit.

If you had that much money and blew it all on a rocket, you'd be publicly hanged, buried, dug up, drawn and quartered, buried, dug up and cremated, and your ashes would be sent on a rocket to the sun.  Think of how many billions of lives you could change right now!  Ok... I grant that maybe a few people with ten trillion dollars to blow might blow it all on one place, but sending a rocket to another star takes thousands of people, and lots and lots of red tape.

Notice how all of your arguments rely on things like "If the world was made of cream cheese and apple jelly" and mine are "Since people are the way they are"?

Quote:
Now, it comes down to resources. I don't think you've read all my posts, because I think I've made a pretty good argument that the amount of resources required to send a craft to AC will be miniscule by the time the solar system is colonized.

(Cough)  Yeah.  Nothing like summer on Ios.

Quote:
Why did the US send someone to the moon? What was it? 12 times? Whatever it was, it wasn't *solely* to beat the Russians to the punch, although that was part of it. And even if it was part of it, that's yet another plausible reason: To say, "Yes! We did it first!"

Why did whatzisname climb Mt Everest? Because it was there.

Now, I ask you, Why not?

Because everybody who did all those things was alive at the time.  People don't do shit they don't get to gloat over, and even Rocket Man's own descendents a thousand years from now will probably be debating whether or not he really existed, or whether Jesuhammed or Aliens sent the message from the stars.

Quote:
 They did not even touch the argument about solar-system colonization using self-replicating biospheres. Neither have you, by the way.

Nor will I.  Might as well argue about whether a tenth level Paladin could kill a young white dragon.

Quote:
You don't send living people, you send a machine that can create living people (through cloning and biotech).

I read that.  I thought it so ludicrous that it was self refuting, so I didn't bother.  I've dealt with it before, though.  You know enough biology to know how incredibly stupid this idea is.

Quote:
If machine consciousness is possible, you can just have mechanical bodies and switch them on at arrival.

Inventing technologies again?  You are happy to jump in with me when I'm bashing a theist about not understanding consciousness, and then you turn around and suggest that not only do you understand it, you understand it well enough to know that we're going to create it in machines and then assemble it from scratch in the depths of space.

Right.  There are few AI guys I know who would like to know your secrets.

Quote:
Funny, your initial objection was that the physics was just too implausible. Have you given that line of attack up?

No.  I never said all the physics was implausible.  I wrote all that to clarify that I meant collectively, not individually.  I feel confident there is a scientific solution to at least one of the ten thousand problems with deep space colonization, whether it's done by sending people or sending magical people makers.

Quote:
Well, since you haven't really addressed my core argument, this sounds to me like: "Well, even though there seem to be straightforward solutions to all the problems I've raised... I still think it's never going to happen."

No, it's more like "Since all the solutions involve imagined technology, and all of the possible scenarios defy human nature, I still think it's never going to happen."

Quote:
All I can say is, you're welcome to your opinion, but that's not a good argument.

I can't help but notice that the only person here with the actual physics knowledge to address this agrees with me.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Actually, just to be sure

Actually, just to be sure I understand, is this your argument:

1) If people change their nature and become environmentally responsible

AND

2) If people can sustain a post-industrial tech age through environmental responsibility

AND

3) If people can conquer the technical hurdle of building consciousness from scratch

AND

4) If people can build nano-machines cabable of building consciousness from scratch without a hitch in a tiny spaceship billions of miles from earth with no tech crew

AND

5) If we happen to colonize the solar system with lots of people who love isolation for their entire life

AND

6) If the inhabitants of earth can scrounge together enough money to end poverty in half the world, and decide to put it on a rocket and send it into space

AND

7) If we take the technology from (4) and learn to build humans from scratch

THEN

we can maybe set up a human colony on another planet, that will not be anyone's descendent, and won't have any meaningful contact with earth, on which nobody will write thank you notes to their grandmother back on earth?

And you say I'm wrong to be a skeptic?

Books about atheism

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:I

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:

A good one?  You're the one who just got onto me for predicting anything a thousand years out, and as I survey the world for the last 1000 years, I notice that not even countries can be counted on to look remotely similar, much less corporations or government agencies.

But our biology and mental makeup is essentially unchanged. We still have the same emotions, drives, etc. When we read Plato, we see where he was mistaken, but we understand his motivations. It is, after all, motivations that are the key to whether or not future people will send out a mission.

Quote:
Quote:

Why do people make time capsules? It's fun.

Show me a ten trillion dollar time capsule, please.

Quote:
Why did the Pharoahs build the Pyramids?

You mean those pyramids that their sons could look at and say, "LOOK WHAT MY FATHER DID!"  Yeah... no material gain  at all.

I notice you snipped out all the other relevant examples, and cherry picked the only two you could make a stab at refuting. I'm rather disappointed you're using such tactics.

You have *not* refuted the resource argument that I've made, and so appealing to a 'ten trillion dollar' time capsule is not a refutation. It assumes that the resources will be scarce compared to the entire resources being harnessed.

But any ballpark figure reveals that the energy available in space is mind-bogglingly enormous, and the investment required from a well-populated solar system to send out a mission is mind-bogglingly tiny in comparison.

And the same "Look what my father did" can be used to support sending out the first mission to Alpha Centauri. The launch itself is an accomplishment that people can be proud of. All you have to do is put in enough redundancy to give the mission a decent chance of success, and you have your bragging rights.

Quote:
Seriously Natural, get your head around this, ok?  You know about the hypothesis of R (degree of relatedness) being the primary measure of altruism.  We do things for our kids and our grandkids, and occasionally nieces and nephews, but for the most part, the only people we will really make sacrifices for are our children.  Name me the last human project that was designed to have absolutely no gain for anyone for (let's make it easy) a hundred years.

Voyager 1 and 2. The benefit is miniscule to humanity. If you want, we can attach some scientific instruments to the mission and it can relay some data back about its travel, revealing secrets of the interstellar environment.

There's your expensive time capsule. We've already done it.

Quote:
Science nerds, I imagine, just want to see neato ray guns and transporters.  I'm an evolution geek, so I'd like to see what humans evolve into if we survive, or what the earth would look like in ten thousand years, but I really don't care either way if humanity survives.

So, you're letting your personal apathy colour your view of other people. A lot of people *do* care if humanity survives.

Quote:
  Call me callous, but I am not a humanist. 

I'm not a humanist either. But I'm not apathetic.

Quote:
I don't think humans have any inherent value above that which we ascribe to ourselves

In my view, it is not 'humans' per se that is valuable, it's intelligence. We just happen to be the most intelligent species on the planet at this time. And of course, the value is not inherent.

Quote:
We don't even really care about going to the moon anymore.  Yeah, Mars is awesome, and the Shrub tried to drum up excitement about a manned mission.  (LOOK AT THE MONKEY!  LOOK AT THE MONKEY!  911!  TERRORISTS!)  But the fact is, only scientists are interested, and they aren't known for having ten trillion dollars to blow.  And that's just Mars.

You're talking about apathy. People are not born apathetic. They have their enthusiasm beat out of them, largely by the education system, followed by corporate consumerism. Apathy is not something we are stuck with either. It is possible, as I've proven to myself in the past 4 years or so, to regain hope and enthusiasm and wonder.

People, in the US especially, have had their hopes beaten out of them. Bush is a prime example. Huge approval ratings at the beginning, followed by the lowest ratings of any president ever. And you guys elected him twice! WTF.

But anyway, this is just proving my point. When you lack a vision of the future, the future looks glum. When you lack intelligence (not you, but the general populace), you lack the ability to envision the future. You also lack the ability to make good choices about the future (like not figuring out that Bush was an idiot until after electing him twice), and so the future ends up being shitty.

It's no wonder to me that it's the scientists who are enthused about space. They can envision it. They (e.g. people at NASA) have worked out the theory, and they see it is at least plausible. Carl Sagan absolutely saw the possibilities, and was very enthusiastic about changing things down here so we could do wonderous things up there. Do you think he was just blowing smoke up people's asses? No. He was trying to inspire them. Trying to communicate his vision. Trying to show them the real possibilities.

Why are we down on Mars? Because we've had Bushes and Clintons for the past 20 years. Because we've let science education go to shit. Because we've lost our vision. Because we've dumbed ourselves down.

But it was *40* years ago that we got to the Moon. *That* was expensive. *That* was pushing the envelope of technology. If we had the vision we had 40 years ago, Mars would be a piece of cake. Just get off our asses and do it. Even in this shitty economy, it could be done (a tiny fraction of the military budget, for example).

Your argument is an Argument from Complacency. An Argument from Apathy. An Argument from Beaten Down Imagination.

"People everywhere and for all time will be as uninspired as I am, therefore it's not possible."

People everywhere are *not* uninspired. There are *always* people willing to dream and hope for the future. And with that, I'll resurrect the examples you snipped out:

Why did the 300 fight off the Persians? Glory.

Why do people put money in trust funds for their kids education? Hope.

Why do they leave inheritances behind? Legacy.

Here's a few more:

Why do rich people start scholarships for kids that are not related to them, and they'll never meet?

Why did Nobel start his Prize such that it would continue long after his death?

Why do people (like Copernicus) have their most treasured books published *after* their death?

Just because *you* cannot imagine yourself being motivated to do things like this, doesn't mean nobody is.

Quote:
Quote:

Horse shit.

If you had that much money and blew it all on a rocket, you'd be publicly hanged, buried, dug up, drawn and quartered, buried, dug up and cremated, and your ashes would be sent on a rocket to the sun.  Think of how many billions of lives you could change right now!  Ok... I grant that maybe a few people with ten trillion dollars to blow might blow it all on one place, but sending a rocket to another star takes thousands of people, and lots and lots of red tape.

Resource argument. You still haven't addressed the obvious fact that in a populated solar system, the fraction of resources required would be tiny.

Quote:
Notice how all of your arguments rely on things like "If the world was made of cream cheese and apple jelly" and mine are "Since people are the way they are"?

The biggest speculation I make is in self-replicating biospheres, which is hardly implausible, considering advances in manufacturing, robotics, and biotech.

And people are not the way you think they are. You're projecting. You're looking at the world through shit-stained glasses. Wipe that shit-bias off your glasses. Eye-wink

Quote:
Quote:
Now, it comes down to resources. I don't think you've read all my posts, because I think I've made a pretty good argument that the amount of resources required to send a craft to AC will be miniscule by the time the solar system is colonized.

(Cough)  Yeah.  Nothing like summer on Ios.

That's not a counter-argument.

Quote:
Quote:
Now, I ask you, Why not?

Because everybody who did all those things was alive at the time.

The 300 died in their fight. The rich benefactor leaves the scholarship in his will, *after* he's dead. Nobel is no longer alive. Copernicus had his book published after his death.

Quote:
People don't do shit they don't get to gloat over

I'm sure there will be a big celebration and lots of gloating when the first humans send the first colonization mission to AC. They don't have to wait 1000 years to party. See, they have this thing called 'vision of the future', which 'inspires' them. I wonder if you've ever heard of these things? Eye-wink

Quote:
Quote:
 They did not even touch the argument about solar-system colonization using self-replicating biospheres. Neither have you, by the way.

Nor will I.  Might as well argue about whether a tenth level Paladin could kill a young white dragon.

Easily. And that's not a counter-argument.

Quote:
Quote:
You don't send living people, you send a machine that can create living people (through cloning and biotech).

I read that.  I thought it so ludicrous that it was self refuting, so I didn't bother.  I've dealt with it before, though.  You know enough biology to know how incredibly stupid this idea is.

I know enough about biotech to know that we're well on our way (e.g. artificial wombs, animal cloning, robotic manufacturing, etc.), and there's no theoretical barriers to stop us.

Quote:
Quote:
If machine consciousness is possible, you can just have mechanical bodies and switch them on at arrival.

Inventing technologies again? 

I've already stated numerous times that my argument doesn't depend on machine consciousness. I do however think it's plausible to speculate about, and so I think it's worth mentioning.

Quote:
You are happy to jump in with me when I'm bashing a theist about not understanding consciousness, and then you turn around and suggest that not only do you understand it, you understand it well enough to know that we're going to create it in machines and then assemble it from scratch in the depths of space.

I understand it enough to know that it is a purely physical, informational process, which could, in plausible theory, be implemented on a different substrate than biological neural tissue. Read On Intelligence by Jeff Hawkins, or search YouTube for some of his lectures. We are getting closer and closer all the time.

Kurzweil presents a good case that the hardware will be able to support it if we can develop the software. Hawkins makes a good first stab at plausible software. Brain scanning resolution in both space and time is improving exponentially, such that we will soon be able to map out the functions of individual neurons, giving us the hope of developing a working theory of human cognition from 'cell' to 'mind'.

Quote:
Quote:

I can't help but notice that the only person here with the actual physics knowledge to address this agrees with me.

DG is a biologist, not a physicist, and he hasn't addressed the argument regarding populating the solar system, which is key. I too have taken physics at the university level. I'm more inclined to trust the real astrophysicists, such as the people at NASA, and *they* already have three or more plausible interstellar scenarios, according to *their* standards.

The only major technology my proposal requires is self-replicating biospheres. All the other stuff, handling radiation, propulsion, etc., will all be worked out naturally as the solar system becomes populated. It's like, once you have a working internal combustion engine, and people start making cars, all the things like wheels, shocks, chassis, drive, air bags, etc. will all be worked out through trial and error. Once you've got automobile technology working on Earth, it's relatively easy to pick and choose innovations to design a Lunar or Mars rover based on automobiles.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
To those in this thread who

To those in this thread who dissent from the idea that we'll ever live on the moon:

I'm living there right now.

I win, motherfuckers. Sticking out tongue

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Actually, just to be sure I understand, is this your argument:

1) If people change their nature and become environmentally responsible

AND

2) If people can sustain a post-industrial tech age through environmental responsibility

No, this is not part of my argument. I've always said 'assuming we don't blow ourselves up first'.

The original post was about whether or not there's extraterrestrial life out there. I made the argument that even if there is life, there is no space-faring life in our galaxy besides us. The argument I made there was about how once you get space-faring, you quickly get to self-replicating biospheres, which colonize a solar-system, and from there it's a short step towards colonizing a whole galaxy. Based on this argument, and the lack of a galaxy filled with ETs, we can draw a pretty high probability that there are no space-faring ETs out there.

That has now morphed into a defense of *human* capability of populating the solar system and colonizing the first star. But I've always, throughout this discussion, maintained the necessary assumption 'assuming we don't blow ourselves up first', which means, 'assuming we survive long enough to develop self-replicating biospheres'.

So, here's my argument in a nutsehll:

Assuming: We survive on Earth long enough to develop self-replicating biospheres in space.

P1: There is a huge amount of energy and material resources available in space.

P2: Self-replicating biospheres will undergo evolution in the form of replication with variation over many generations.

P3: Self-replicating entities tend to fill up all available niches from which they can draw energy and material resources.

P4: If we could send out an interstellar colonization mission with comparatively low resource cost, we would.

C1: The solar-system will rapidly fill up with a variety of biospheres, harnessing a huge amount of energy.

C2: Based on this pool of energy and technology, it will be relatively easy to develop an interstellar craft that re-creates a self-replicating biosphere at another star, beginning the process again.

C3: The cost of such a mission, as compared to the total amount of energy harnessed by a populous solar-system, would be comparatively low.

C4: Since we could, we will.

Again, the conclusion depends on the assumption, as I've always stated in this discussion. If you want to say the assumption is unlikely, that's a different debate. That's a debate about changing social conditions down here. But it's only a debate to the point that we survive long enough to develop self-replicating biospheres in space. Once we've got those, the assumption is no longer needed; Earth could blow up the next day and we'd still reach Conclusion #4.

The only part that I see as tricky is the technological feasibility of self-replicating biospheres. I think the trends in biotech and manufacturing are sufficient to draw the conclusion that it's plausible without invoking any magic.

Quote:
3) If people can conquer the technical hurdle of building consciousness from scratch

My argument doesn't rely on that, as I've stated from the beginning. I only mention it because it is plausible to me and to others, such as Kurzweil.

Quote:
4) If people can build nano-machines cabable of building consciousness from scratch without a hitch in a tiny spaceship billions of miles from earth with no tech crew

My argument doesn't rely on such nano-tech either. More likely the nanotech would be related to materials, such as the nano-tech we already have today. Really, nano-tech is not a significant component of the argument. The closest you could argue is biotech such as artificial wombs, automated genetic engineering, etc.

Quote:
5) If we happen to colonize the solar system with lots of people who love isolation for their entire life

Who said *anything* about isolation? The solar system would be *full* of people. There will be tons of communication with people on Earth and in other biospheres. And the biospheres themselves will probably house 50-150 people, if not more. Like I said, such issues will be worked out once the first biosphere replicator begins the process of technological evolution.

There will be all sorts of different kinds of biospheres. There may be some that are large, and in stationary orbits, holding up to 300 people or more. They could be solar-collector stations. There could be some that hold 10 or fewer people for short trips, shuttling material resources around from place to place. There could be an Earth-bound orbital station holding thousands of people. Biospheres may rendezvous with others, swapping people, transporting people from one location to another.

In any case, there will not be any isolation from human culture. We already have a world-wide internet, and you know personally that you draw a significant amount of human interaction from it. There can easily be a solar-system wide internet. While people are beaming energy from place to place, they can easily beam information along with it. While there may be some minutes' delay (up to 10 hours at Pluto's orbital distance), we already know how to deal with latency in our communication, via email, YouTube videos, webpages, wikis, etc.

So, we'll be tied into Solar culture, able to watch movies, listen to music, etc., and we'll have small to medium sized groups for one-on-one contacts, intimate relationships, etc. The only 'isolation' will be the kind of isolation human tribes have experienced and handled well for hundreds of thousands of years.

We have a pretty good idea that optimal tribal size is about 150-300 people. If we can achieve biospheres approaching those populations, we will be able to handle psychological problems easily.

As for the mission to Alpha Centauri, that's easy. Just grow more than one human at a time. After the first generation, who will be raised by didactic robots and computers, and will have human interaction with the other kids, then all future generations can be raised by human parents as usual. They will have full access to Solar culture via their own local copy of the internet. And at Alpha Centauri distances, they can participate in the Solar internet at a time lag of 4-8 years. Meanwhile, they will be developing their own stellar civilization with their own local internet.

Again, these technologies will be developed during solar-system population, and packaged up for the interstellar mission. No need to postulate a huge up-front investment.

Quote:
6) If the inhabitants of earth can scrounge together enough money to end poverty in half the world, and decide to put it on a rocket and send it into space

It won't be the inhabitants of Earth, it will be all the inhabitants of the whole solar system, which may well exceed the population of Earth.

And it won't be 'scrounging'. The Sun puts out 4x10^26 Watts. If we only harness 0.000005% of that, it will be 1,000,000 times as much energy as humanity's current entire energy consumption (which is approx 2x10^13 Watts).

There is a *shitload* of energy in space. This is not a question of energy resources. If there is energy and material to be harvested by self-replicating biospheres, they will replicate. That's all that matters.

The amount of energy required to send 1000 tonnes at 0.01c (including deceleration) is only on the order of 1x10^19 Joules. Let's make it a round 1x10^20 Joules. Assuming the solar system harnesses 0.000005% of the sun's energy, and we tax this energy economy a mere 0.01%, it would take a grand total of..... 13 hours to generate the required energy for the trip.

All it takes is self-replicating biospheres, and the solar system fills up over time, and nature does the rest.

How long would it take the solar system to fill up? Let's say your biosphere can harness on average 1 MegaWatt, and takes 20 years to reproduce. To get to 0.000005% of the sun's output, you would need 20 trillion biospheres. With a reproduction time of 20 years, that would take 883 years.

Give or take. These are very conservative estimates. Will it really take 20 years to replicate a biosphere? Probably less. Will they only be able to collect 1 MW? Probably more. Do we really need to harness 0.000005% of the sun's output? Probably less. Is the Solar culture only willing to be taxed 0.01%? Probably more. Do we need to have the time so short as 13 hours? Probably longer.

Will it really take 883 years? Probably less.

I repeat. There's a shitload of energy out there. All we need are self-replicating biospheres, and the rest is just a matter of time.

Quote:
7) If we take the technology from (4) and learn to build humans from scratch

We can already freeze sperm, eggs, and embryos. No need to make humans from scratch. We are already working on artificial wombs. We already know a lot about emotional, psychological, and cultural needs of kids as they grow. We can develop technologies to raise babies no problem. There is nothing magical about this. We don't need nanotech.

Quote:
THEN we can maybe set up a human colony on another planet, that will not be anyone's descendent, and won't have any meaningful contact with earth, on which nobody will write thank you notes to their grandmother back on earth?

It will be our cultural descendant, for sure. Biologically, if we really needed to, we could transmit a DNA sequence to the arriving craft, and have them grow whoever's children we want. But I think the cultural connection is enough.

They will absolutely have meaningful communication with Solar culture. There will just be a 4-8 year lag due to the speed of light. Humans have dealt with this kind of situation in the past, when it took years to send messages from one empire to another. This is no different.

We will share technologies. They will explore the new system and send us back information about it. We will bring them up to date on what has happened in the intervening 1000 years. It will be a very real connection.

They will be our Daughter Star.

Quote:
And you say I'm wrong to be a skeptic?

Wrong to be a skeptic? Never. Lacking vision? That's curable. Bad counter-arguments? Yes.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:DG is a biologist, not

Quote:

DG is a biologist, not a physicist, and he hasn't addressed the argument regarding populating the solar system, which is key. I too have taken physics at the university level. I'm more inclined to trust the real astrophysicists, such as the people at NASA, and *they* already have three or more plausible interstellar scenarios, according to *their* standards.

Keep me out of this. I am not part of this argument. I was only arguing against the implausability of Dyson Spheres.

PS: Physics was my first degree.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Quote:DG is

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:
DG is a biologist, not a physicist

PS: Physics was my first degree.

Oops, sorry. Wasn't aware of that. I took advanced courses for physics, chemistry, and biology in first year, expecting to go into standard sciences, but switched to Computer Science in my second year. So, while I don't have a degree, I've got a pretty solid foundation in the main sciences. Also studied psychology and sociology, as part of my degree (Human Computer Interaction). Jack of all trades, master of one. Eye-wink

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah, here we are.There are

Ah, here we are.

There are actually quite a number of different extremophiles that would essentially have a heyday if we put them on a competition-free Mars (namely worthies like the Deinococcus strain of bacteria), but only a handful that look like they would be promising candidates for cycling all of Mars's CO2 into O2 (though I'd bet dollars to donuts that we'd have such an organizism mutate into being within a few generations of Deinococcus divisions - but anyway...); Cyanobacteria are likely our most promising candidate. Solar Radiation + Water (either liquid or frozen) + CO2 + Moon dust = Happy Cyanobacteria.

Mars is vastly more hospitable than our moon could ever hope to be.

Seriously. We should just put a few petri dishes full of cultures of these, and perhaps a few other extremophiles (like Deinococcus) on the next robot we plan to land on Mars anyway. It can drop them off on the poles during a small detour, or even just in the clay if it turns-out to be 'wet'.

Or, fuck, ust drop them off. Sticking out tongue See what happens.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural, you may be one of

natural, you may be one of the reasons I have hope for the future. Enough people like you, and we'll be fine. It's too bad there aren't enough people like you. I'll explain.

natural wrote:

Who said anything about 'all of a sudden'? Please don't put words in my mouth. Social change can and does happen, by the way.

Of course it does. More rapidly now than ever. But the behaviour of consuming everything in our path is a real hurdle. We're wired to consume everything we can. It only makes sense that we would. I desperately hope you're right, and we can work together on this. Failing that, I hope we go through our energy resources quickly enough that we can't bring total extinction to the seas, and toxicity to the air and soil.

natural wrote:
I can only speculate on what *could* happen, in an optimistic scenario, which is why I always give the caveat 'assuming we don't blow ourselves up'.

Well of course.

natural wrote:
Here is an optimistic scenario: The amount of energy we *currently* use globally *could*, in theory, be gathered from solar energy from a small patch of the Sahara desert (I seem to recall that the parch would be about the size of Israel, but I cannot recall for sure the exact size). This is not to say that this is practical in the short term. It is only to show that the amount of solar energy that falls on the Earth is incredibly enormous, compared to a) how much we use currently, and b) how much we actually harvest.

Absolutely. We just need to get everyone on board with the plan, and change the electrical grid system from a centrally powered system to a distributed system. If we could do that, it would solve a ton of problems right off the bat.

natural wrote:
So, in this optimistic scenario, the US stops all wars, and devotes half of its military budget into a huge global research project to improve solar collectors to something like 30-50% efficiency. Currently I think it's around 17% or something, and it's very expensive. So the other part of the research would be to reduce its cost. This may require developing new materials, and may require nanotech research, etc.

Hey now - you don't need to go all nanotech. All you have to do is re-vamp the mindset. If people got used to things like solar-collector-powered refrigeration, we could set up the world with cheap air conditioning. No problem.

natural wrote:
So, give that 20-40 years, and maybe we could achieve that dream. Who knows? It doesn't seem technically implausible to me, although getting the US to stop being so militaristic seems the bigger challenge. But anyway, this is an optimistic scenario.

I'm hoping that in 20-40 years, we will have exhausted our cheapest oil and gas reserves, and will be forced to abandon mechanized warfare. That could do it.

natural wrote:
Storing energy. There are a lot of possibilities. Nature's done a good job with synthesizing carbon compounds to hold hydrogen, so we have a few options there: Lipids, carbohydrates, hydrocarbons. It's possible we could use some of that research money to figure out an economical way to store liquid hydrogen. There may be other techniques I'm not aware of.

Booo! More research reveals that liquid hydrogen is terrible as a fuel. The best way to store hydrogen is in nickel-cadmium canisters. But even that sucks. Flywheels, my man. High-speed flywheels. Even NASA likes them. Reducing the transmission of power would also a big win. As would removing the tendency to convert energy from one form to another all the time (like electric to kinetic and back).

natural wrote:
Assuming we can solve all those problems, the other major problem is population. Two solutions: Eliminate poverty, and provide universal education. These are political and logistical problems, not technological ones. The internet should be a huge boon for the education one.

I love it! (K, now I'm not really being sarcastic, I'm enjoying your optimistic enthusiasm.) Those are both extremely tall orders, but I agree that education is of inestimable benefit. Eliminating poverty is a very difficult thing to aim for, but no reason to not try.

natural wrote:
See Europe in the past 40 years for example, where growth rate has dropped dramatically. Canada has lower-than-replacement birth rate, and only manages to grow due to immigration. The US is an exception, where uneducated religious people fuck like bunnies.

Is it any wonder we get all the immigration?

natural wrote:
In all of this, the hardest part is really a shift in people's mindsets from consumptionism to sustainability. In this, education is the number one tool we can use to achieve the goal. Education supports research/technology, elimination of poverty, and population reduction.

Absolutely. I'm with you 100%.

natural wrote:
Now, I have already admitted this is an optimistic scenario. But I don't think it is technically impossible, and as such, I don't think it's an impossible ideal.

I don't either. In fact, it's the focus of much of my life's work.

natural wrote:
Oversimplistic. What determines what we can do is also our mindset. If we had all the energy in the world, and remained in a consumptionistic mindset, we would inevitably blow ourselves up.

Right, but that's not a limit. I'm saying we are limited in our power to blow ourselves up by the energy we have access to. The amount of energy we have access to is always our limit. It's always the limit of all biological entities.

That's why I have great hope. If we can't afford the oil any more (in energy gain versus energy spent) then we will be limited in our destructive capacity. I believe that this will happen soon, and our environment will be able to recover from our then newly-impossible over-consumption.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I'm hoping that in

Quote:
I'm hoping that in 20-40 years, we will have exhausted our cheapest oil and gas reserves, and will be forced to abandon mechanized warfare. That could do it.

20-40 years? Now who's the optimist? Sticking out tongue

Personally, I don't think by the end of this decade (2019; mark it on your calendars!) the average consumer will be able to afford a fill-up on even a standard automobile. You'll have a Hybrid vehicle and you'll be fairly wealthy if you own & operate a personal vehicle. This is right in line with Hubbard's own extrapolations.

Commercial air travel will simply be prohibitively expensive and reserved for either the super-rich or heads of state (or both), as high-octane fuels are hoarded and diverted to military equipment at the beheast of it's rabid enablers. Wood stoves will become extremely popular (Buy your stocks now. No, seriously), though the excessive chopping of firewood is going to come with it's own consequences of a dire sort if alternatives aren't found in short order.

I'm not so optimistic about the military just going quietly into their goodnight in any case. That is, it's not that I think they'll suddenly go batty when their high-octane tank & jet-fuel run out; they'll just find alternatives. Perhaps some half-lunatic half-genius will design a nuclear-power tank or aircraft, or perhaps ITER will have military power applications, or perhaps they'll decide to weaponize satellites, etc.

People have far too much fun with stuff that goes clank and things that go boom to merely let them fall by the wayside. Sticking out tongue

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Laughing_Man_d8D
Gold Member
Laughing_Man_d8D's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: I'm

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I'm not so optimistic about the military just going quietly into their goodnight in any case. That is, it's not that I think they'll suddenly go batty when their high-octane tank & jet-fuel run out; they'll just find alternatives. Perhaps some half-lunatic half-genius will design a nuclear-power tank or aircraft, or perhaps ITER will have military power applications, or perhaps they'll decide to weaponize satellites, etc.

People have far too much fun with stuff that goes clank and things that go boom to merely let them fall by the wayside. Sticking out tongue

There are too many technical problems to overcome inregards to miniturizing a nuclear power souce. The biggest problem being, removing heat, if you don't remove the heat, you melt down. I've seen alot of the old research accidents they had when trying to make nuclear engines for jets and vehicles. It seems more often than not the most efficent/safe way to produce it as a souce of energy is just as a steam plant.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:There are too many

Quote:
There are too many technical problems to overcome inregards to miniturizing a nuclear power souce. The biggest problem being, removing heat, if you don't remove the heat, you melt down. I've seen alot of the old research accidents they had when trying to make nuclear engines for jets and vehicles. It seems more often than not the most efficent/safe way to produce it as a souce of energy is just as a steam plant.

Uh. Pardon me if I'm mistaken; don't you use the heat up in order to get your power for said vehicle?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

chaosarp
User is offlineOffline
Aliens

So about the aliens
Sorry I'm not even going to try to spell extra terrestrials
Well.
Maybe I did. But. That's not important
My reasoning behind my belief of their
Existence is that if however we were made happened
Here. Why couldn't it happen again somewhere else?
If by some SLIM chance there is a god.
Wouldn't he...it. Want to make this again?
Or maybe the big bang caused us (my personal belief)
And maybe it shot living particles some other direction
As well?
Just my thoughts

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 By the way, after working

By the way, after working 18 of the last 24 hours, I've remembered that I don't like arguing about this, so I'm going to stop.  My ultimate case rests on the implausibility of humans accomplishing these things, not the theoretical possibility of them doing so, so I have no idea why I was getting into the technical arguments at all.

Please carry on with whatever futures you want to invent, and I shall bother you no more.

Books about atheism

Laughing_Man_d8D
Gold Member
Laughing_Man_d8D's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Uh. Pardon me if I'm mistaken; don't you use the heat up in order to get your power for said vehicle?

No you aren't mistaken, that's how the whole system works, heat transfer. The problem arrises with how fast you generate heat vs how fast you remove it. Air is a very poor heat removal method, which is what what a car or plane would use ultimately for a heat removal source. I'm just trying to state from what I remember reading up on past mistakes and experiments with nuclear power use for vehicles/planes. The ones I remember reading about melted down.

I think that nuclear power isn't the way for air or land transportation.

{edit}I'll probably have to go back and read some stuff, it's been about 9 years since I was in the field.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
chaosarp wrote:My reasoning

chaosarp wrote:
My reasoning behind my belief of their Existence is that if however we were made happened Here. Why couldn't it happen again somewhere else?

Sure, why not? It's a big universe.

Welcome to the boards!

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:No you aren't

Quote:
No you aren't mistaken, that's how the whole system works, heat transfer. The problem arrises with how fast you generate heat vs how fast you remove it. Air is a very poor heat removal method, which is what what a car or plane would use ultimately for a heat removal source. I'm just trying to state from what I remember reading up on past mistakes and experiments with nuclear power use for vehicles/planes. The ones I remember reading about melted down

Actually, Russia and America have both already successfully tested nuclear-powered aircraft.

The only thing of concern for the engineers was actually radiation shielding (not heat).

Neato.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

20-40 years? Now who's the optimist? Sticking out tongue

Haha - that's actually a pessimistic projection. I'd be happier with 10 years (your projection).

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 Since this thread is

Since this thread is dying, I just want to thank you all for having this debate.  It was a lot of fun for me and it's the first debate I've ever participated in, and of course I got royally schooled by a many of you.  Thanks.  :D

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Speaking of guessing about the future, when I was a kid, I was told that we would all have flying cars today.

o_O  but... we DO have flying cars... they're just dangerous as all hell and just as reliable! (your loss for not owning one ;-p  )

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

However, that did not happen. What did happen is three store on every block that can sell me a frozen burrito and has a “magic box” that can turn it into a delicious snack in two minutes.

Lies! nothing can make a frozen burrito taste delicious >.<

What Would Kharn Do?

Eugene K. (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
1. Extraterrestrial life.

1. Extraterrestrial life.

Life stems from self-replicated chemical reactions. So it's a common feature in the universe. Life and "carbon life" is everywhere at mild Smiling conditions. Because of evolution life is very diverse. So, it's difficult for us to accept that some alien entity is, say, intelligent. I think forms of intelligence are more diverse that forms of life.

2. A Multiverse?

Let 'all that exist is the universe'. So 'other' universes don't exist by the definition. In other words if a multiverse consists of separate universes, which aren't linked by space-time paths, then all other universes don't exist physically because they cannot be detected. They cannot affect us. So a multiverse is an unsupported believe. If they ARE linked then they compound the universe.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eugene K. wrote:Let 'all

Eugene K. wrote:

Let 'all that exist is the universe'. So 'other' universes don't exist by the definition. In other words if a multiverse consists of separate universes, which aren't linked by space-time paths, then all other universes don't exist physically because they cannot be detected. They cannot affect us. So a multiverse is an unsupported believe. If they ARE linked then they compound the universe.

Scientists usually use 'universe' to mean 'the observable universe', or at least synonymous with the system which began with the Big Bang. 'All that exists' is usually called the 'cosmos'. Whether the universe *is* the cosmos, or if the cosmos is greater than the universe, is an open question. The recent discovery of dark matter at least implies that what we once thought of as 'the observable universe' can potentially expand, giving some legitimacy to the speculation that maybe our observable universe is just one of many.