Placing Scientific Materialism on the Spot

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Placing Scientific Materialism on the Spot

Atheists are wont to denounce belief in "the immaterial" as ridiculous while exclaiming the worldview of scientific materialism as the only rational and sane position. Certainly, this attitude is prevalent on this particular forum. Be that as it may, the truth of the matter is that scientific materialism is a metaphysical belief-system based on faith ("faith" as the atheist defines the term - i.e. belief without sufficient evidence). Why? Because there is no proof that mental phenomena are physical in nature. Indeed, our first-person experience of our own subjectivity is proof-positive in the reality of the immaterial. Moreover, science itself has never proven that so-called physical phenomena are ultimately physical in nature. Those who would argue otherwise are saddled with the burden of proof.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's up, Paisley?Did it

What's up, Paisley?

Did it take you this long to pull your tail out from between your legs? 

You've started several threads on this very topic and ducked out of each of them.  Are we going to do this all over again?

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:What's up,

zarathustra wrote:
What's up, Paisley?

Did it take you this long to pull your tail out from between your legs? 

You've started several threads on this very topic and ducked out of each of them.  Are we going to do this all over again?

Sorry, but you're playing on defense here.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Because there is no

Quote:
Because there is no proof that mental phenomena are physical in nature.

Quote:
Moreover, science itself has never proven that so-called physical phenomena are ultimately physical in nature. Those who would argue otherwise are saddled with the burden of proof.

Brain Damage can cause loss of memory and other mental faculties.
Occam’s Razor thus demands that we regard any supernatural realm as superfluous and thus discard it until positive proof of its existence presents itself.
This argument is no more than a God of the Gaps with a healthy dosage of “SEE: YOU HAVE FAITH TOOOO!!!!O!!!)1120141” thrown in for good measure.

You are the one asserting that a supernatural realm exists, thus, you must provide proof of its existence. Just because we cannot prove 100% that all events are entirely 100% physical in nature does not mean that we need even consider the possibility that they aren’t until there is at least some small piece of positive evidence supporting such a claim.

We don’t have the burden of proof, you do.

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Be that as it may, the

Quote:
Be that as it may, the truth of the matter is that scientific materialism is a metaphysical belief-system based on faith ("faith" as the atheist defines the term - i.e. belief without sufficient evidence). Why? Because there is no proof that mental phenomena are physical in nature.

Wrong.

We have evidence. Strong, compelling, consistent evidence of the physical world. You're right - it doesn't constitute absolute proof, but that's an unreasonable expectation given the fallibility of our faculties. We've easily met the burden of proof with empirical data, and then some.

You, on the other hand, have no evidence. Not a shred. You don't even have the expertise required to criticize materialistic observations. You have nothing at all, and yet pretend that you can pose a serious challenge to the pillars of science?

What a joke.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Proof? No problem.Take a

Proof? No problem.

Take a plastic bag. Tie it around your head. Breathe deeply and tell me what you're thinking.

Or stick your tongue into an empty light fixture with the switch in the on position. Tell me what you're feeling emotionally.

Win the lottery while in a coma on life support. Nothing happens.

Now, describe to me what happens in heaven based upon the same criteria you used not to do the above mentioned acts.

How did you know that breathing deeply in a plastic bag kills?

How did you know that tongues and electricity don't go together?

There is no basis for judging what an afterlife is or is not. There is no basis for even determining an afterlife at all.

If there were, don't you think more people would be trying to get there rather than trying to preserve their life?

Theists of all faiths still sign up for life-saving procedures. If the immaterial were so much more pleasant then shouldn't one hasten themselves on their way to experiencing it?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sinphanius

Sinphanius wrote:
Quote:
Because there is no proof that mental phenomena are physical in nature.
Quote:
Moreover, science itself has never proven that so-called physical phenomena are ultimately physical in nature. Those who would argue otherwise are saddled with the burden of proof.

Brain Damage can cause loss of memory and other mental faculties. Occam’s Razor thus demands that we regard any supernatural realm as superfluous and thus discard it until positive proof of its existence presents itself. This argument is no more than a God of the Gaps with a healthy dosage of “SEE: YOU HAVE FAITH TOOOO!!!!O!!!)1120141”

Please provide me with the chemical formula for conscious-awareness. Until then, you are just making a "materialism of the gaps" argument.

Sinphanius wrote:
You are the one asserting that a supernatural realm exists, thus, you must provide proof of its existence. Just because we cannot prove 100% that all events are entirely 100% physical in nature does not mean that we need even consider the possibility that they aren’t until there is at least some small piece of positive evidence supporting such a claim. We don’t have the burden of proof, you do.

I am asserting that I am presently experiencing conscious-awareness.  There is no way for me to scientifically affirm that you are experiencing conscious-awareness.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Wrong.We

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Wrong.

We have evidence. Strong, compelling, consistent evidence of the physical world. You're right - it doesn't constitute absolute proof, but that's an unreasonable expectation given the fallibility of our faculties. We've easily met the burden of proof with empirical data, and then some.

Please tell me how the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics confirm that what we conventionally call the physical actually consists of PERMANENT sub-atomic particles (this is materialism).

Kevin R Brown wrote:
You, on the other hand, have no evidence. Not a shred. You don't even have the expertise required to criticize materialistic observations. You have nothing at all, and yet pretend that you can pose a serious challenge to the pillars of science?

What a joke.

Sorry, ad hominem attacks do not qualify as a logical rebuttal.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:Proof? No

darth_josh wrote:

Proof? No problem.

Take a plastic bag. Tie it around your head. Breathe deeply and tell me what you're thinking.

Or stick your tongue into an empty light fixture with the switch in the on position. Tell me what you're feeling emotionally.

Now, describe to me what happens in heaven based upon the same criteria you used not to do the above mentioned acts.

There is no basis for judging what an afterlife is or is not. There is no basis for even determining an afterlife at all.

If there were, don't you think more people would be trying to get there rather than trying to preserve their life?

Theists of all faiths still sign up for life-saving procedures. If the immaterial were so much more pleasant then shouldn't one hasten themselves on their way to experiencing it?

Let's try to focus. Okay?

I'll make this simple. Just provide with the chemical formula of consciousness.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
As you are the one to bring

As you are the one to bring up metaphysics:

Every metaphysics requires a workable epistemology for validation. Materialism, as a metaphysics, is sufficiently substantiated by the  epistemology of science.

Tell me: what is your epistemology? And, what is the metaphysics that your epistemology supports?

Without this information, we are operating in a vacuum. You are requiring burden of proof for a validated epistemology and metaphysics, without defining the counter proposal. Until you present an alternative epistemology and metaphysics, the burden of proof actually rests with you. Our epistemology and metaphysics have already been validated.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Please

Your the one making the argument for god or the supernatural, why don't you provide the evidence of such stuff. It can be shown that consciousness is tied to the brain, a brain dead body can be alive but there is no awareness of the surrounding there is no conscousness. The consciousness and the brain are tied together, any major damage to the brain affects a persons personality and can and does affect their consciousness (all depending on how your defining it from being aware to making decisions to morality) and thanks to MRI's and various other medical equipment that allows us to see the brain operating under various circumstances, and under various conditions. Even the definition of consciousness isn't properly defined and has been argued throughout the centuries and still is argued to this very day the actual proper definition of consciousness.

With this all said, what is your evidence paisley that there is another life outside of this MATERIAL world as you call it? Please do provide your evidence. Otherwise shut up.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:darth_josh

Paisley wrote:

darth_josh wrote:

Proof? No problem.

Let's try to focus. Okay?

I got your fucking focus.

This is why you get the responses you do.

Where in your OP did you state that was what you were looking for?

Did you even read my response or just cursorily dismiss it?

You wanted evidence of the physical causing mental and vice versa.

HisWillness,

Did you win this bet?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I'll make this

Paisley wrote:

Consciousness is an emergent property of the brain. What you are saying makes as little sense as saying 'give me the chemical formula of computing that computers use'. Computing is an emergent property of computers just as consciousness is an emergent property of brains. Going to computer scientists and demanding the chemical formula for computing is pure nonsense. Coming to us and demanding the chemical formula for consciousness is also pure nonsense. Obviously no one chemical is consciousness just as no one chemical computes. Only certain arrangements of different compounds allow for consciousness (we call those arrangements 'brains') just as only certain arrangements of different compounds allow for computing (we call those arrangements 'computers').

Haven't we already been over this before on this site? I could have sworn that people on here have already clearly explained that consciousness is an emergent property of the brain. For that matter I think someone else may have already used some kind of analogy for brains using computers as an example too. We need some original attacks on materialism. I think that we may have mined out these tired old attacks.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander

Jormungander wrote:
Consciousness is an emergent property of the brain. What you are saying makes as little sense as saying 'give me the chemical formula of computing that computers use'. Computing is an emergent property of computers just as consciousness is an emergent property of brains. Going to computer scientists and demanding the chemical formula for computing is pure nonsense. Coming to us and demanding the chemical formula for consciousness is also pure nonsense. Obviously no one chemical is consciousness just as no one chemical computes. Only certain arrangements of different compounds allow for consciousness (we call those arrangements 'brains') just as only certain arrangements of different compounds allow for computing (we call those arrangements 'computers').

Okay, let's go with your analogy of the brain to the computer. And this is good analogy because materialists really do view the brain as a computer processing data. The  basic  sentiment is that "if we can just identify the neural correlates of consciousness, we will have explained consciousness." If this is so, then am I to assume that my computer is conscious? If not, why not?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Jormungander

Paisley wrote:

Jormungander wrote:

Okay, let's go with your analogy of the brain to the computer. And this is good analogy because materialists really do view the brain as a computer processing data. The  basic  sentiment is that "if we can just identify the neural correlates of consciousness, we will have explained consciousness." If this is so, then am I to assume that my computer is conscious? If not, why not?

Oh come on, your can't be this stupid, because it's not aware, it is not capable of awareness, it's simply does what it does it computes the information, it cannot decide what is good or bad, it simply does as it was programmed to do. Unlike the brain which is capable of selfawareness and making rational decision. A computer cannot do anymore than it's programmed to do, it is not selfaware.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Paisley

latincanuck wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Jormungander wrote:

Oh come on, your can't be this stupid, because it's not aware, it is not capable of awareness, it's simply does what it does it computes the information, it cannot decide what is good or bad, it simply does as it was programmed to do. Unlike the brain which is capable of selfawareness and making rational decision. A computer cannot do anymore than it's programmed to do, it is not selfaware.

Bingo. This is exactly correct. Computers only do what they are programmed for and we only program them to do non-conscious tasks. I think the important question is: can we program computers to be conscious? I think we could and currently there is research towards trying to make them think like we do.

Recently researchers at the University of Reading took mouse neurons and built circuits out of them that control a small robot. Rather than use semiconductors they used neurons. The fact of the matter is that the neurons in our head are curcuitry that control us. If they could somehow be replaced with equivalent silicon circuits that could adjust and change as our neurons do, I don't think there would be any difference in consciousness. The data that is transmitted and manipulated by them is all the same. We just need to find out how to express consciousness as a program. And perhaps our computers would need better or different hardware to be conscious. Forming new connections between neurons is important, I'm afraid that technical limitations currently prevent your computer from forming new electrical pathways in the same manner.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Paisley

latincanuck wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Okay, let's go with your analogy of the brain to the computer. And this is a good analogy because materialists really do view the brain as a computer processing data. The  basic  sentiment is that "if we can just identify the neural correlates of consciousness, we will have explained consciousness." If this is so, then am I to assume that my computer is conscious? If not, why not?

Materialism is a deterministic worldview. In other words, every decision you make or will make is completely predetermined and could not have been otherwise. Computers and the programs they execute are completely predetermined too.

By the way, your "compatriot" apparently believes that computers can be programmed to have "consciousness."

Jormungander wrote:
Bingo. This is exactly correct. Computers only do what they are programmed for and we only program them to do non-conscious tasks. I think the important question is: can we program computers to be conscious? I think we could and currently there is research towards trying to make them think like we do.

Recently researchers at the University of Reading took mouse neurons and built circuits out of them that control a small robot. Rather than use semiconductors they used neurons. The fact of the matter is that the neurons in our head are curcuitry that control us. If they could somehow be replaced with equivalent silicon circuits that could adjust and change as our neurons do, I don't think there would be any difference in consciousness. The data that is transmitted and manipulated by them is all the same. We just need to find out how to express consciousness as a program. And perhaps our computers would need better or different hardware to be conscious. Forming new connections between neurons is important, I'm afraid that technical limitations currently prevent your computer from forming new electrical pathways in the same manner.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not predetermined at all

But that you base your decisions on your previous experiences, which include experiences in which you have no control over, which is completely different that predetermined, which means no matter what, it was already determined before you where even born, which means you cannot act differentl under the exact same circumstances because it was already predetermined your action, which is false. We all have different experiences, as well our mental make up is different as well, that's why twins won't act exactly the same under the same circumstance, even if they have lived the exact same life. Because their outlook towards life varies just enough that they are different people. This is where your entire argument breaks down.

So my next 2 quesitons are, what is consciousness, and what is the evidence that you have of a supernatural or immaterial world or existance.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:By the way,

Paisley wrote:

By the way, your "compatriot" apparently believes that computers can be programmed to have "consciousness."

As well PLEASE PLEASE learn how to read and comprehend what people are stating, he stated the QUESTION IS CAN WE make computers conscious, which is merely asking the question is it possible, not that he believes that it is possible. Big difference.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Please tell me how the

Quote:
Please tell me how the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics confirm that what we conventionally call the physical actually consists of PERMANENT sub-atomic particles (this is materialism).

No, I won't tell you. Why? Because I'm not qualified to answer your question. I'm not a physicist. I don't know the details of quantum mechanics or of relativity.

Are you a physicist?

If you are, you should have had no problem answering the question I posed to you in the other thread (define the term 'quanta', and explain how this undermines the scientific method. Define 'relativistic velocities', and explain how they undermine the scientific method).

If you are not a physicist, and ergo have no formal understanding of physics, how can you possibly deduce what the theory of quantum mechanics or the theory of relativity might say in terms of how we view the world?

Ignorance is not a form of evidence.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Materialism is

Paisley wrote:

Materialism is a deterministic worldview. In other words, every decision you make or will make is completely predetermined and could not have been otherwise. Computers and the programs they execute are completely predetermined too.

Well, I won't claim that everything is definitely completely deterministic. The fact of the matter is: we don't know 100% for sure. We've got models that work well enough for us to operate within their parameters, but the real truth, Paisley, is that the scientific community doesn't claim to know. The scientific community claims to have models that fit the observations, but the bottom line is: if those models can be disproven, they have to be altered or discared in favor of models that better fit the observations. Though, I do feel it's worth pointing out that even if the universe isn't, at it's smallest, fundamental levels, materialistic, that doesn't mean it's in any way anything beyond purely natural. Only that we don't understand all of the fundamental underpinnings of nature... and I don't think anyone here is going to claim that we do... except, maybe, the theists who claim 'God did it' is 'understanding'.

On the other hand, given that it's also been repeatedly demonstrated that the human brain makes decisions before the consciousness is aware of the decision, by up to as much as seven seconds in some cases, that does tend to point more in the direction that our consciousness is simply a thin sheet of complex side-effect function floating on top of our actual brain processes, and as far as that carries, it too may be completely predetermined, and only appear spontaneous because we're unable to consciously track all of the variables and stimuli affecting even one of us at any given moment.

Why aren't computers conscious? Because the hardware and software aren't complex enough, yet. It's like math (yes, I know, in many cases, it is math, but follow me for a second here) and physics: At some point in school, you learned the math needed to calculate velocity. You learned what you needed to learn in order to calculate deceleration. You may even have learned enough to calculate ballistic trajectories, factoring in wind resistance, air temperature, rotational velocity of the projectile, etc.

And long, long before your conscious mind knew how to do all that on an abstract level... you knew how to do all that on a  practical level. You knew how to catch a ball. Similarly, on a raw, functional, practical level, we know how to program consciousness: we all do it to our own brains as we grow. We simply don't know how to represent that process in an abstract, communicatable format that lets us define it as procedure, and we need to be able to define it as procedure in order to make the rules that a computer would need to follow to achieve that effect.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh

darth_josh wrote:

HisWillness,

Did you win this bet?

Dude, you knew this was coming. This might be the only time I pine for that "Not this shit again" cat picture.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:And long, long

BMcD wrote:

And long, long before your conscious mind knew how to do all that on an abstract level... you knew how to do all that on a  practical level. You knew how to catch a ball. Similarly, on a raw, functional, practical level, we know how to program consciousness: we all do it to our own brains as we grow. We simply don't know how to represent that process in an abstract, communicatable format that lets us define it as procedure, and we need to be able to define it as procedure in order to make the rules that a computer would need to follow to achieve that effect.

This is what I was trying to say. BMcD has expressed this idea much better than I did. We probably could make conscious computers, we just can't figure out how to express consciousness in a computer language.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Please tell me

Paisley wrote:

Whatever the nature of the crude, reductive, medieval version of non-supernaturalism you seem to consider to represent  "materialism", it is irrelevant to the understanding that a typical well-educated scientifically-literate person understands about the nature of reality.

Please explain how particle decay requires the existence of the supernatural.

As a matter of fact, the key particles that make up atoms, ie electrons, protons and neutrons are not specifically predicted to be permanent. The lower bound on the half-life of a proton is something like 10^35 years, although electrons are not expected to decay at all. Both propositions follow from science, with no requirement for anything supernatural. If you have some concept of 'materialism' which doesn't allow for quantum decay, well that is no more part of the modern scientific world-view than is the supernatural.

And don't dodge by using any reference to the 'immaterial'. Many referents, from simple attributes such as 'size', 'speed', 'height', 'weight', 'temperature', to 'complexity', 'information', 'connectivity', to 'story', 'image', 'procedure', etc,  are not 'material' in the strict sense of literally being composed of atoms, ie they are immaterial because they are not objects, they are attributes of objects or collections of discretely identifiable objects. None of these ideas require dualism or supernaturalism to be meaningful.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Atheists are

Paisley wrote:

Atheists are wont to denounce belief in "the immaterial" as ridiculous while exclaiming the worldview of scientific materialism as the only rational and sane position. Certainly, this attitude is prevalent on this particular forum. Be that as it may, the truth of the matter is that scientific materialism is a metaphysical belief-system based on faith ("faith" as the atheist defines the term - i.e. belief without sufficient evidence). Why? Because there is no proof that mental phenomena are physical in nature. Indeed, our first-person experience of our own subjectivity is proof-positive in the reality of the immaterial. Moreover, science itself has never proven that so-called physical phenomena are ultimately physical in nature. Those who would argue otherwise are saddled with the burden of proof.

I don't know which is more pathetic, Paisley.

Your setting up the strawmen or your complete inability to knock even those down.

Most folks here don't refer to faith as "belief without sufficient evidence" but "belief with no evidence".

As for mental processes, we note physical changes in electrical activity and brain chemistry.

Science has proven many other things that have been brought up by other posters but you choose not to see that. Why? Is your world really that fragile?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
'Free will' is how we

'Free will' is how we experience our decision-making process as we weigh up all the factors which we base our decisions on. The nett balance of all these factors, which include the results of explicit conscious reasoning about the issues, inevitably swayed by our emotional reactions to them, all determine our decision.

Our conscious awareness seems to be strongly related to the workings of a set of what are called 'mirror neurons' which allow us to model the behaviour and thought patterns of other members of our social group, in order to assist us to anticipate their likely responses to current happenings, including our own actions. This assists us and ultimately the group to interact in more subtle and (mostly) constructive ways, which is why they have evolved.

Our conscious experience of reasoning out situations and reflecting on past experiences, and so on, closely matches patterns of neural activity, which are becoming observable in ever-increasing resolution by our brain scanning technology. These patterns of activity in turn will drive motor neurons to cause us to physically respond in accord with our decisions. I think of our feeling of conscious awareness as what this complex process 'feels like' from the inside, as it were.

Obviously there is a lot more to be discovered in this area, but the broad outlines are taking shape. But there is nothing here which requires anything supernatural.

The relationship between our thought processes and the underlying patterns of neuronal interaction, is broadly (and somewhat crudely) analogous to that between the flow of logic through the statements of the 'source code' of a computer program as it executes, and the patterns of semiconductor gate switching implementing the code at the lower ('physical' level). The analogy needs to be extended a step or two further into the abstract to correspond in a meaningful way to conscious thought processes.

Exactly why certain patterns seem to manifest what we experience as consciousness/self-awareness is a hot area of study, of course. Of course consciousness, as defined, is 'immaterial', ie it is not a physical object, it is a reflection of, an aspect of, a complex, structured sequence of states of a very complex physical object, the brain.

Dualism, to me, represents two different ways of thinking about what is essentially the same reality, namely the detailed functioning of our minds/brains, which is too complex for us to model wholisticly in that same mind/brain, which is hardly surprising...

This is my understanding of this topic, anyway. It obviously doesn't fit into Paisley's concept of "Scientific Materialism", it seems better described as a version of Scientific Naturalism, if you must put some philosophical label on it.

I see no point in trying to directly answer Paisley's simplistic queries about specific issues he has with 'Scientific Materialism'. Anyone who can seriously challenge us to 'provide the chemical formula for coonsciousness' is so totally out of his depth here that that would be futile - we do not have the time to get him up to speed with a huge field of study, even if he were willing to concede he is not remotely qualified to comment at a formal level on this topic.

C.mon Paisley, you were being sarcastic with that 'chemical formula' crack, I hope...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Taps foot* Still waiting

*Taps foot*

Still waiting for your elucidations on various scientific principles you claim to understand, Paisley.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
kevin dood

Kevin R Brown wrote:

*Taps foot*

Still waiting for your elucidations on various scientific principles you claim to understand, Paisley.

Your going to be waiting for a loooooooooong fucking time, paisley admited that there are immaterial pursuits, the various examples I gave him and then said well those can't exist for atheists as they are materialist. paisley isn't going to define or explains anything, I really don't think paisley defines anything that he/she speaks about, not even his/hers other threat about consciousness, paisley hasn't even defined consciousness beyond the vague definition of awareness. Seriously paisley tries to sound intellegent but comes off very ignorant about the topics he/she brings up/

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:'C.mon

BobSpence1 wrote:

'C.mon Paisley, you were being sarcastic with that 'chemical formula' crack, I hope...

I don't think so, I highly doubt he/she was being sarcastic at all. If so....it wasn't translated very well.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Geez, dude.  How many

Geez, dude.  How many times can you make the same claims?

Do you just not understand the concept of equivocation?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:As you

nigelTheBold wrote:

Every metaphysics requires a workable epistemology for validation. Materialism, as a metaphysics, is sufficiently substantiated by the  epistemology of science.

Quantum indeterminacy. If nature is fundamentally indeterminate (as quantum theory holds), then materialism is not supported by science.

nigelTheBold wrote:
Tell me: what is your epistemology? And, what is the metaphysics that your epistemology supports?

Without this information, we are operating in a vacuum. You are requiring burden of proof for a validated epistemology and metaphysics, without defining the counter proposal. Until you present an alternative epistemology and metaphysics, the burden of proof actually rests with you. Our epistemology and metaphysics have already been validated.

I suggest that you read the title of this thread. My metaphysics is not on trial here; yours is.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Your the

latincanuck wrote:
Your the one making the argument for god or the supernatural, why don't you provide the evidence of such stuff.

Sorry, your worldview is on trial here, not mine.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:I got your

darth_josh wrote:
I got your fucking focus.

This is why you get the responses you do.

Where in your OP did you state that was what you were looking for?

Did you even read my response or just cursorily dismiss it?

I cursorily dismissed after I read the "take a bag" part.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:nigelTheBold

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

Quantum indeterminacy. If nature is fundamentally indeterminate (as quantum theory holds), then materialism is not supported by science.

Maybe the particular version of "materialism" you have in mind has that problem, but modern scientific naturalism most assuredly has no such problem - quantum indeterminacy is deeply incorporated in current scientific thought, so your comment is simply irrelevant and ignorant.

You have been re-iterating this nonsense for a long time now, it is really, really tedious.

If your metaphysics shows that quantum indeterminacy is inconsistent with scientific naturalism, then that just means that your metaphysics is obsolete, since a metaphysics incorporating the insights of science does not have that problem.

Quote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

I suggest that you read the title of this thread. My metaphysics is not on trial here; yours is.

But your arguments all seem to be based on your metaphysics, insofar as they have any background at all, so it is also on trial, along with the tediously repetitious and obsolete arguments you keep throwing at us.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

No, I won't tell you. Why? Because I'm not qualified to answer your question. I'm not a physicist. I don't know the details of quantum mechanics or of relativity.

Then I guess your belief in scientific materialism is based on faith (i.e. belief without sufficient evidence).

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:On the other

BMcD wrote:
On the other hand, given that it's also been repeatedly demonstrated that the human brain makes decisions before the consciousness is aware of the decision, by up to as much as seven seconds in some cases, that does tend to point more in the direction that our consciousness is simply a thin sheet of complex side-effect function floating on top of our actual brain processes, and as far as that carries, it too may be completely predetermined, and only appear spontaneous because we're unable to consciously track all of the variables and stimuli affecting even one of us at any given moment.

If the research is correct, then this implies that Barry Bonds' subconscious mind made the decision to swing at a pitch long before the pitcher actually delivered the ball. I would say that this qualifies as proof for psi (psychic or paranormal phenomena). What do you think?

BMcD wrote:

You're confusing me here. Are you saying that our consciousness is some kind of "self-programming program?"

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:This is

Jormungander wrote:
This is what I was trying to say. BMcD has expressed this idea much better than I did. We probably could make conscious computers, we just can't figure out how to express consciousness in a computer language.

You do realize that "BMcD" actually denies that he is conscious to begin with? Right?

By the way, do you think the next version of "java" will have some kind of "generate conscious-awareness" object? Do you think if it does, that it will process information more efficiently? If so, why?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Kevin R Brown

Quote:
Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

No, I won't tell you. Why? Because I'm not qualified to answer your question. I'm not a physicist. I don't know the details of quantum mechanics or of relativity.

Then I guess your belief in scientific materialism is based on faith (i.e. belief without sufficient evidence).

No, Paisley.  His belief is held on less than scientifically sufficient evidence.  This is not faith.  Faith is belief despite the lack of any credible evidence.  Belief based on some evidence, but less than scientifically rigorous evidence, is just part of life if you don't happen to be a scientist.

Level of reliability is not an on/off switch.  It's a matter of degree.  How much evidence do I need to believe that the Celtics lost to the Lakers last night?  (Or whichever night that was...) Very little.  A friend telling me so will probably be enough.  Why?  First, it's not particularly important, so going through a rigorous scientific study of the question would be a complete waste of time and wouldn't add anything to my life.  Second, the degree of reliability my friend has shown in the past when reporting sports scores is factored into the my evaluation.

Let's break this down so it's really simple, ok?

Reliability - the degree to which evidence can be trusted.  It goes from zero reliability to nearly one hundred percent reliability in the case of induction.  (Deduction is a special case.  It is an on/off switch.  Either an argument is valid, or it is not.  Reliable, or unreliable.)

Faith - belief in something despite there being no reliable evidence.

Reasonable belief - belief in something based on a level of reliable evidence proportionate to the relative value of the belief.  That is, you need a lot of evidence to believe you ought to trust a parachute if you're going to jump out of a plane, but you need very little evidence to believe your girlfriend called and said you should buy milk on the way home.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Paisley

BobSpence1 wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Whatever the nature of the crude, reductive, medieval version of non-supernaturalism you seem to consider to represent  "materialism", it is irrelevant to the understanding that a typical well-educated scientifically-literate person understands about the nature of reality.

If nothing is permanent, then what we are left with is what Buddhists call impermenance. This depicts a world that is ephemeral,  a world that is in a nutshell...immaterial. It's that simple.

The scientific description of reality is based on probability waves and geometrical points. These are mathematical abstractions (not material objects) and cannot exist independently from a mind that abstracts. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

As a matter of fact, the key particles that make up atoms, ie electrons, protons and neutrons are not specifically predicted to be permanent. The lower bound on the half-life of a proton is something like 10^35 years, although electrons are not expected to decay at all. Both propositions follow from science, with no requirement for anything supernatural. If you have some concept of 'materialism' which doesn't allow for quantum decay, well that is no more part of the modern scientific world-view than is the supernatural.

Yeah, which form of materialism allows for quantum indeterminacy? If nature is fundamentally indeterminate (as the prevailing scientific theory holds), then we have "uncaused" events occurring in the universe. And apparently they are occurring everywhere and all the time. I suppose I should disregard this little glitch in your metaphysical worldview and just let you go on your merry ole way and pretend materialism is intact....right?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:'Free will'

BobSpence1 wrote:
'Free will' is how we experience our decision-making process as we weigh up all the factors which we base our decisions on. The nett balance of all these factors, which include the results of explicit conscious reasoning about the issues, inevitably swayed by our emotional reactions to them, all determine our decision.

Free will is the sense we have that, if given the same situation and circumstances, we could have chosen otherwise. Anyone who has experienced some form of regrets or guilt believes he has free will. I trust that you have experienced this in your life.

You should not deny free will in theory if you presuppose in practice. To do so is inherently self-refuting.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Jormungander

Paisley wrote:

Jormungander wrote:

You do realize that "BMcD" actually denies that he is conscious to begin with? Right?

By the way, do you think the next version of "java" will have some kind of "generate conscious-awareness" object? Do you think if it does, that it will process information more efficiently? If so, why?

If we ever do create conscious computers it will be groudbreaking. I think that such a thing would be comparable to the invention of semiconducting transistors. So no, it won't be some minor feature added to the next version of java.

As for consciousness and efficiency: I don't know if anyone can answer that question. I would not know how to determine that. Perhaps contacting researchers that deal with consciousness or computer science would yield answers for that question. This is a great question, I'm just at a loss for answering it.

Does BMcD think that he is not conscious? I think that you made that up. Come on Paisley, don't put words into BMcD's mouth.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Belief

Hambydammit wrote:
Belief based on some evidence, but less than scientifically rigorous evidence, is just part of life if you don't happen to be a scientist.

I'd say it would be fairer to state:

Belief based on some evidence, but less than scientifically rigorous evidence, is just part of life if you don't happen to be a scientist.

Even an extremely skeptical and prolific scientist, for example, is not likely to check the solidity of a chair every time he sits down on it (as a silly example). Repeated experiments with chairs in the past are enough.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:If the

Paisley wrote:

If the research is correct, then this implies that Barry Bonds' subconscious mind made the decision to swing at a pitch long before the pitcher actually delivered the ball. I would say that this qualifies as proof for psi (psychic or paranormal phenomena). What do you think?

You will note, ironically mimicing your response to me in the other thread, that I said 'by up to as much as seven seconds in some cases'. In fact, you underlined the whole thing. So obviously, you're aware that that would mean that it's not always seven seconds ahead, and that that's merely the most extreme measurement that I've knowledge of. So no, Barry wouldn't have had to have been psychic in order to hit a ball. If anything, it would be more of an indicator that his body's trained responses carry him through the process of hitting the ball, and his personal awareness of the framework of events would lag slightly behind his physical decision-making process.

Quote:

You're confusing me here. Are you saying that our consciousness is some kind of "self-programming program?"

Are you somehow saying they're not? Our minds aren't just self-programming software, they're self-programming software in charge of constructing the hardware they run on: It's our interactions with our surroundings that stimulate brain development and neural pathway growth. Our brains shape our decisions, and our awareness shapes our brains. It's a single, ongoing process of stimulus-response wherein each response is another stimulus.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:Does BMcD

Jormungander wrote:

Does BMcD think that he is not conscious? I think that you made that up. Come on Paisley, don't put words into BMcD's mouth.

For the sake of fairness, Paisley's referring to my posts in his other thread, where I'm challenging him to demonstrate that consciousness is in some way more than just what amounts to the user-interface of our minds/brains.

Strictly speaking, I don't know what the nature of consciousness is, any more than I know what the nature of God is, and not knowing, I refuse to invest any active faith in any proposition. I do, however, continue to accept what data my mind and senses present to me as the only data I have to interact with.

So, working within the framework of that data....

The studies I've seen would appear to indicate that the decision-making process goes on at a much faster and lower level than our awareness of that process. Decisions are made, our bodies execute them, and our top-level brain function takes the credit while coming up with justifications for the decision that it wasn't aware of until after it happened. These justifications aren't necessarily inconsistent with the stimulus-response framework that actually resulted in the decision, but our awareness of the decision was predicated by the decision itself, not the other way around. ie: We don't do what we've decided to do, we decide to do what we're already committed to doing. Thus, our 'consciousness' might effectively be an awareness construct our brains use to collate the aggregate stimuli of our lives... which might explain why we grow tired even without strenuous physical activity, why sleep refreshes us so much, why dreams are, well... so surreal... that collation is taxing, and piles up on itself during a single period of wakefulness. To continue the analogy, our RAM cache gets cluttered, and sleep lets us write to the hard drive, flush the RAM, and start clean in the morning... and dreams are basically an inefficient and imprecise method of cross-filing on the hard drive while simultaneously defragging.

As for Paisley's question about processing information more efficiently... actually, I'll go out on a limb here and say that processing information efficiently might not be the real key to consciousness, but rather juggling complexity of information structures and processing patterns. Inefficiencies might be necessary to produce the real results, semi-inconsequential errors in collating and cross-referencing data that produces what we'd identify as leaps of intuition and sparks of creativity.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hope you guys didn't scare

I hope you guys didn't scare Paisley away yet, I've got a question for him.

Paisley wrote:

It's obvious you can't provide any proof, because we're all scattered around the world. We usually don't have the proof of the nonphysical phenomena, just sometimes, the proof has us. Even if we happen to see something nonphysical, we have not enough of control over it, we can't replicate it nor show it to any person in the world, maybe to a few, but usually not to anyone important.
So there's a problem, what do you want us to do? Let's say, we all exclaim WE BELIEVE YOU!!! What next? Will it make the proof any closer? No, we will not have it, just as before. Unfortunate, eh?
Let's try to be a bit active, then. Let's say, that a group of people comes to your door. There will be unbiased, open-minded scientists (some maybe slightly biased in favor of the nonphysical, to make it easier) and then also a group of people who also has their experiences with the nonphysical part of the world. They knock on your door, you open, and they want to hire someone, who can help them to prove the existence of nonphysical phenomena. Ask yourself, how can you help them? Can you do something awesome with your mind? Can you travel astrally, see an aura, heat up your chakras really hard, heal with energy, or something like that? Just tell me, and more importantly, tell yourself. I remind you, they don't need a believer, they need someone who they could try to measure, and preferably who could interact somehow with other workers of the nonphysical. For example, people who would be both telepaths, would be magnificent.
My capabilities aren't very impressive, compared to some people I've met, but I certainly could do some mental exercises and let myself be measured through EEG for example, to see what's going on with the brain during that. I can do something for it, what about you? Are you just a believer?

Btw, according to a certain hypothesis I like, there's one problem of getting the right person into a laboratory, searching for anomalies. I mean, like examining a samples of tissue on sub-atomary level. There should be several hundreds of thousands people in the world, who has a several percent of their body mass anomalous in some way, that it contains more of a light-like sub-atomary particles. Some texts speaks of light, that all life emits light, but these people's bodies emits more light than others'. This is one of methods I'd advise to try, but I guess that after a consultation with the hypothetic group of scientists at Paisley's doorstep we'd dismiss some methods and come up with some new. This is what the science is about, overcoming a problems like that, searching for a way.

I'd be glad about whatever we can find. Even if the consciousness is an emergent property of the brain, then in mine there is some anomalous benign activity going on, which would be a fascinating thing to study.  It could be also a good job, well paid, opportunity to travel, get my name on some scientific papers, meet a new intelligent people, and so on.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:I hope you

Luminon wrote:
I hope you guys didn't scare Paisley away yet, I've got a question for him.
If Paisley ever leaves, I assure you it won't be because he was scared.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I'd say it would be

Quote:
I'd say it would be fairer to state:

Belief based on some evidence, but less than scientifically rigorous evidence, is just part of life if you don't happen to be a scientist.

I accept your correction as read.

Books about atheism

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:BobSpence1

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
Paisley wrote:

If nothing is permanent, then what we are left with is what Buddhists call impermenance. This depicts a world that is ephemeral,  a world that is in a nutshell...immaterial. It's that simple.

You are 'that simple' if you think that remotely addresses my point.

We have already acknowledged repeatedly the validity of the concept of referents which are not strictly material, which in no way contradicts the position of non-reductionist materialism, As distinct from the crude reductionist version that there is 'nothing but' a world of particles equivalent to blind 'billiard balls' bouncing around.

So your demonstration that there are referents which can be described as 'immaterial' is not a problem for the actual world-view we here hold.

Quote:

The scientific description of reality is based on probability waves and geometrical points. These are mathematical abstractions (not material objects) and cannot exist independently from a mind that abstracts. 

Absurd. Of course we use mathematical abstractions to describe and model the observed attributes of the particles in question. All scientific theories are ultimately abstract mathematical models which approximate some real-world system to some useful level of accuracy. This is a vacuous statement - you are plumbing new depths of siliness.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Yeah, which form of materialism allows for quantum indeterminacy? If nature is fundamentally indeterminate (as the prevailing scientific theory holds), then we have "uncaused" events occurring in the universe. And apparently they are occurring everywhere and all the time. I suppose I should disregard this little glitch in your metaphysical worldview and just let you go on your merry ole way and pretend materialism is intact....right?

When are you going to get it through your immensly thick cranium that there are a whole range of world-views that do not assume supernaturalism or dualism other than your straw-man version of 'materialism'?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:BobSpence1

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Free will is the sense we have that, if given the same situation and circumstances, we could have chosen otherwise. Anyone who has experienced some form of regrets or guilt believes he has free will. I trust that you have experienced this in your life.

You should not deny free will in theory if you presuppose in practice. To do so is inherently self-refuting.

Your definition of free will is completely consistent with mine - it is the sense that we are making a 'free' decision', IOW not necessarily reflecting the almost certain reality (allowing for quantum uncertainty) that given the exact same mental states we would make the same choice. The kicker is that this is a totally hypothetical scenario since we could never, even in principle, re-run any non-trivial chain of events precisely.

[EDIT] Having regrets that I made what turned out to be a bad decision is not dependent on an actual belief in free will at all, at least to me, I just wish I had given more weight to certain factors. To me, its a matter of "20-20 hind-sight". I cannot conceive how I could have made a different decision, given the same factors and state of mind, apart from some truly random input from something arising from something like quantum uncertainty.

So your comment here is again totally off base.