The Bible is good for something

robert0259
User is offlineOffline
The Bible is good for something

I just wish they would use softer paper-- I have a tender ass.

scole665
User is offlineOffline
Actually

I think that Bible is a great book. Really, not kidding. Having read it for the first time, cover to cover, over the past few years, it's a great book. (it's not an easy read, LOL) Of course, I don't hold it as a moral guide or to be anything other than great fiction.  Plus, its age gives us an interesting glimpse of the past and how things may have changed or not. 

god -- I tried you on for size.... you were a little long in the crotch, loose in the waist, short in the length and you made my butt look extra flat. I had to take you back for an exchange.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
scole665 wrote: I think

scole665 wrote:

I think that Bible is a great book. Really, not kidding. Having read it for the first time, cover to cover, over the past few years, it's a great book. (it's not an easy read, LOL) Of course, I don't hold it as a moral guide or to be anything other than great fiction.  Plus, its age gives us an interesting glimpse of the past and how things may have changed or not. 

You can find morality in other works of fiction such as Star Wars and Harry potter, but as far as the bible being a great book, are you kidding?

There is no character development and the end plot is a genocidal orgy over a magical sky daddy. It is more like a horror film, and a bad b-film at that.

Think about it, the head character expects humanity to fight over him to prove his love for him in a final genocidal battle. That is not the mark of sanity or compassion. That is the mark of a narscisistic sociopath.

"If I cant have you no one can". God will torture you forever for not kissing his ass. I don't call that good I call that scary.

I am glad you see it as fiction, but it is hardly well written and for all the cherry picking morals that could be found elsewhere in human lit, the head character in that book demands blind obidiance like a dictator.

It is not a good book. It is a book of horrors centered around a selfish dictator.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
This "good book" has stories

This "good book" has stories of bears malling children, it has stories of insest, it has several episodes of infantiside, not to mention the flood and the final battle that talks about unbelievers being tortured and "left behind".

It talks about god spreading "trash or feces" (depending on translation) in the faces of dissentors.

If parents treated their kid like this supposed god CPS would have the parent brought up on charges.

God acts like a spoild brat who cant arrange his army men in the sandbox and then uses a magnifiying glass to burn them with the sun while he blames his toys for "his plan" not going the way he wants(dispite the fact he is all powerfull).

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

scole665
User is offlineOffline
What can I say

I find most of the stories interesting. I think from the detailed descriptions of them, you might think the same thing. Generally, books, I don't like, I don't recall very well.  One of my favorite movies of all time is "Requiem for a Dream". This isn't a pretty movie and it's full of heartache and desperation and it ends terribly, but nonetheless, it's a great work of fiction, with a tint of reality. Maybe that's just what I like. Oh, I like the Koran so far too... still working on getting through it though. 

god -- I tried you on for size.... you were a little long in the crotch, loose in the waist, short in the length and you made my butt look extra flat. I had to take you back for an exchange.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Speaking for myself, the

Speaking for myself, the Bible is also a useful tool for transforming former fundamentalist Christians into atheists....