Why I'm back.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Why I'm back.

I mentioned why I left in the other topic, so I'll just focus on why I'm back.

I realized that nothing is going to get accomplished if I just sit here and let things boil up, so I might as well just stay here and ride it out. I've been reading more atheist literature (already read Breaking the Spell by Dennett, and recently finished Victor Stenger's God the failed hypothesis and about half way through the God delusion..), 

So I guess I'm just going to confront my opposition head on rather than just sit back and be pissed off.

Oh and God Bless

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 You're always welcome as

You're always welcome as far as I'm concerned, but I'm a big softy.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dude,Love the happy anime

Dude,

Love the happy anime avatar.

And welcome back. I, for one, have missed you.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 And I thought you were

And I thought you were going to come back having been merged into a twisted hybrid with Mattshizzle.  Captain MattApple, perhaps.  Welcome back.  Though I'll admit I'm disappointed.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome back.  I too like

Welcome back.  I too like your new happy avatar. 

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline

Welcome back to the fray  .....  don't forget to put your boxing gloves on !

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back.

Welcome back.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
It's obvious why you came

It's obvious why you came back, you were PINING for us.....ba dum cha.

I know why you came back. It was because of me and my sexy lips and missing teeth......

(Note to self: Did I think that or type it?)

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back! This Avatar is

Welcome back! This Avatar is much better. ( I dont know why but your last one annoyed me, and i like anime so...) ohhh and happy holidays!

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Pinapple!I'm so glad

Hey Pinapple!

I'm so glad your back Smiling

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I mentioned why I left in the other topic, so I'll just focus on why I'm back.

I realized that nothing is going to get accomplished if I just sit here and let things boil up, so I might as well just stay here and ride it out. I've been reading more atheist literature (already read Breaking the Spell by Dennett, and recently finished Victor Stenger's God the failed hypothesis and about half way through the God delusion..), 

So I guess I'm just going to confront my opposition head on rather than just sit back and be pissed off.

Oh and God Bless

Out of curiousity, what exactly is an agnostic, deist, theist? Do you or don't you believe in God?

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nope, it wasn't Brian 37 at

nope, it wasn't Brian 37 at all.  Pineapple came back for me. Smiling

btw, "Agnostic Diest" is the qualifer to Pineapple's "Theist" tag.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Nice to see you facing the

Nice to see you facing the bull head on.  Welcome back.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Agnostic Diest" sounds like

"Agnostic Diest" sounds like someone who deep down knows they're in sore need of slimming a bit, but since it's all too much to contemplate instead just say they don't know, and keep on eating any old rubbish.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:"Agnostic

Nordmann wrote:

"Agnostic Diest" sounds like someone who deep down knows they're in sore need of slimming a bit, but since it's all too much to contemplate instead just say they don't know, and keep on eating any old rubbish.

Nordmann sounds a little grumpy since its butt cold in norwegia and dark for 27 hours a day....I think he could use a little more positive self-talk...

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote:Out of

ragdish wrote:

Out of curiousity, what exactly is an agnostic, deist, theist? Do you or don't you believe in God?

It means that she is not certain whether or not there is a deity. The deity that she thinks is real is one that set the universe in motion but probably doesn't interfere much or at all. After I was done being a Christian I was a Deist for a year or so. Read "Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine; it is free on the internet and informative of how some of the founding fathers viewed God. Deists beleive in a creator deity but reject all revealed religion. "Revealed" meaning any one else's claims of divine relation. So no Bible or Koran or scriptures of any kind for them.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Nordmann sounds a

Quote:

Nordmann sounds a little grumpy since its butt cold in norwegia and dark for 27 hours a day....I think he could use a little more positive self-talk...

Actually here in Oslo we're at our lowest daylight stretch of 8 hours in every 24 (very sunny and warm they were too today, since you're seemingly interested) and, despite what your diet of sour grapes and turkey might have led you believe, we're having quite a happy and atheist time of it here.

Today our "alternative Jul" ended with a bang - a torchlight parade through Karl Johans Gate led by registered drug abusers, the homeless,  a motley collection of abuse victims from religious institutions mixed in with general abuse victims, ex-convicts struggling to re-establish themselves in society, som gay rights activists and anyone else who has an axe to grind with the sanctimonious hypocrites who call themselves the church here and who - for some reason only christians can explain - don't believe much in charity towards those who don't at least pretend to subscribe to their nonsense. Oh, and quite a few thousand of us more fortunate individuals marched in their wake too - AND we managed to raise quite a sum, given the state of things. I believe the last announcement was a sum exceeding ten times what the state and church combined managed to dish out to the "needy" (as your pal Jesus probably would have called them).

Good concert outside Akershus Festning too - though it did indeed get a bit nippy towards the end. Good job the police were there doling out Akvavit. You can't beat uniform-issued moonshine for a little glimpse of heaven in an otherwise dissatisfying world filled with crotchety hypocrites, begrudgers, non-thinkers, sanctimonious prats and busy-bodies!

Hope the solstice went well for you too, JAB.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice to have you back. Even

Nice to have you back. Even though I hardly knew ye.