Christians and Materialism

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christians and Materialism

Projection is the psychological defense mechanism of assigning one's own bad qualities to someone else, usually the opposition.  For instance, a hypothetical football player (cough... cough... T.O.) who is well known for selfishly wanting all of the spotlight for himself might suggest that his team is somehow conspiring to keep him from his just rewards by selfishly not throwing the ball to him enough.  By assigning the quality of selfishness to the quarterback, he absolves himself of his own selfishness.

Christians are particularly good at this.  I read an interesting post this afternoon, in which our very own Paisley said that he thinks consumerism at Christmas is due to a secular materialist worldview.  I admit, I almost choked on my iced tea when I read that.  A short trip through Googleland produced 387,000 hits for "Christian Merchandise."   Curiously, "Secular Merchandise" spawned only 171 hits.

Ok, I know, that's not fair.  Nobody labels their stuff "secular merchandise" but the point is still quite valid.  Christianity is big business, and anybody who doubts it needs to have their head examined.  The point I want to make, however, is not that Christians are particularly evil in their consumerism.  As I mentioned in my article about scary atheist morality, Christians operate on the same principles as everyone else.

We're all materialists.  We have to be.  We live in a material universe, and our only way of staying alive is to consume.  We must have clothes, shelter, and food.  We accumulate resources because we recognize our own fragile mortality.  We want to have enough tomorrow.

The fact of the matter is that the only thing separating one person from another is the degree of materialism.  Some people want "stuff" more than others.  This goes for Christians, atheists, Muslims, and Buddhists.  Some versions of Christianity preach a much more materialist worldview than others.  TV evangelists promise that if we just send in enough money, God will give us so much money that we'll never want for anything again.  Other churches preach the value of an almost ascetic life, eschewing the trappings of the material world.  It's the same with non-Christians.  Some people think the one who dies with the most toys wins.  Others think we have an obligation to preserve the earth for future generations.

The point is that the distinction between "secular materialism" and "Christian ethics" is a non-distinction.  It simply doesn't exist.  We're all people, and we all have our own values.  Once again, Christianity proves divisive for no good reason.  It's not us and them.  It's just us.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
...Have you forgotten,

...Have you forgotten, Hamby?

Our material life is just trial software. Real existence doesn't begin until after we've taken the big sit down, and then get to experience 'ultimate reality'. Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Presuppositionalist
Theist
Presuppositionalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
The existence of Christian

The existence of Christian merchandise does not imply that Christianity is consumerist. Why? Because "Christian merchandise" equals merchandise labelled Christian by the guy selling it. Guys selling china figurines of angels are not necessarily authoritative Biblical scholars. It does not follow from the scriptures that men ought to be materialistic. Quite the opposite. Camels and needles and all that.

Q: Why didn't you address (post x) that I made in response to you nine minutes ago???

A: Because I have (a) a job, (b) familial obligations, (c) social obligations, and (d) probably a lot of other atheists responded to the same post you did, since I am practically the token Christian on this site now. Be patient, please.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:The existence of

Quote:
The existence of Christian merchandise does not imply that Christianity is consumerist.

Oh really?  Who, pray tell, buys Christian merchandise?

Quote:
Guys selling china figurines of angels are not necessarily authoritative Biblical scholars.

And?

Quote:
 It does not follow from the scriptures that men ought to be materialistic. Quite the opposite.

Oh?  So, when God rewarded Job for his patience by giving him a greater portion than he had when he was crazy rich, that is teaching us... um.... what, exactly?

And when God rewarded Solomon's wisdom with the greatest collection of wealth in all of Isreal, he was teaching us that....... hhhmmmm.... still not getting it, honestly.

Oh, sure, Jesus said everybody ought to sell everything they have.  So... um... do you own the computer you typed this on?  Do you own a pair of shoes?  If you own anything at all, why do you own it?  I'll tell you why... because it's ludicrous for everyone to sell everything they own.

I've sat through sermons about camels and needles before.  I don't know if you're aware of this, but you can spin it both ways.  {Dons Pope Hat}  "You see, what Jesus is telling us is not that people should not try to acquire riches, but that the acquisition of riches can become a barrier to reaching the kingdom of heaven IF we allow material goods to become our masters instead of Jesus.  Jesus didn't want us all to be paupers, but he wants us to maintain the mental outlook of one who has nothing, even when God sees fit to bless us with an abundance."

Now that we're through all of that, you've missed the entire point of my post.  Did you see the part where I noted that there are rampant over-consumers on both sides of the aisle?  Some Christians consume as if Jesus is coming back tomorrow.  Some atheists do, too.  Likewise, some Christians are near ascetics.  So are some atheists.  We are all materialists and consumers.  The degree to which we consume is dependent on our value systems.  Neither Christians nor Atheists have a monopoly on either end of the spectrum.  It's just values.  It has nothing to do with Christianity.  Christians just claim it as their own.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is similar to the

This is similar to the Discovery Institute's rationality for attacking science. It appears they believe that scence begets materialism (as in the metaphysics Paisley is always whinging on about), and materialism begets all the ills of the world, including consumerism, corporatism, men who think the comb-over is a great hair style, abortion, egg salad sandwiches, greed, hate, men who fly planes into buildings, women who show too much flesh, spumoni ice cream, women who don't show enough flesh, and so on.

This was one of the major "points" of the clusterfuck "Expelled," and allowed Ben Stein to go on about how every atheist is really a clone off Hitler, and we all hanker to grow a stupid moustache and have hordes of adoring and compliant supplicants. I mean, I do kinda want my own horde of adoring and compliant supplicants, but it's not because I'm atheist.

Although, now that I think about it, science does promote consumerism.

Consider: one of the main reasons we are good little consumers is because we live in a nice soft world that has lots of cool things available for purchase. The economy is good (even in spite of the recent downward plunge, we still currently have a fairly bright future, unless we continue to spiral down out of control for more than a year or so), at least for the moment. Everyone wants a piece of that nice consumerist pie.

Part of the reason we have such riches is because science and engineering and other materialistic pursuits allows us to live in such comfort and wealth. So in a sense, Paisley (and the DI) is right. Our nice comfy world is a direct result of the non-religious pursuit of knowledge. A secondary consequence is that people want things that make life nice and comfy, and  everyone needs a Tivo, especially Aunt Grace.

Whether or not we should partake of that nice comfy world so ravenously is a different question.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the problem that

I think the problem that Christians have with atheist materialism is that while both the atheist and the Christian are driving a sports car, the atheist doesn't reflect on Jesus while stopped at a traffic light. Both have their asses sitting in the material, but only one has his mind, however briefly, on the immaterial.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

I'll make it simple. Your argument takes a few pieces of information, and draws an inductive conclusion:

(1) There is a lot of Christian merchandise, so Christians buy lots of things.

(2) Some churches endorse buying lots of things.

(3) Everyone has to have material things to survive, so everyone is, in fact, materialistic.

(C) Therefore, Christianity is materialistic.

There are two obvious ways of interpreting that conclusion.

First, you might mean that Christianity, as in the individuals presently practicing it, are materialistic. That conclusion could be supported by #1 or #3. However, that conclusion, even if true, is irrelevant to the charge that your essay is meant to address. The person who says that secular materialism is destroying the culture is referring to its philosophic impact, the changes wrought by secular ideas. He is NOT comparing the activities of individual secularists to the activities of individual Christians, and saying that Christians are better behaved. Nor is he referring to the fact that everyone must have some minimum daily allotment of food and water (The pursuit of that minimum, incidentally, is not what most would call "materialistic". The term is associated with the excessive pursuit of goods, for the sake of the goods, not with mere subsistence.) To rebut his charge with a census of the buying habits of the religious is to sink into irrelevance.

Second, you might mean that Christianity, as in the philosophy, should lead a person to believe that materialism is correct and that consumerism is good. You could try to support this with #2, but as I don't acknowledge the authority of the preachers who make those claims, that won't be dialectically effective. You must support this from the scriptures.

And you have tried to do exactly that. Let's see how you did:

Quote:

Quote:
 It does not follow from the scriptures that men ought to be materialistic. Quite the opposite.

Oh?  So, when God rewarded Job for his patience by giving him a greater portion than he had when he was crazy rich, that is teaching us... um.... what, exactly?

And when God rewarded Solomon's wisdom with the greatest collection of wealth in all of Isreal, he was teaching us that....... hhhmmmm.... still not getting it, honestly.

Neither of these imply that Christianity is materialistic. In both cases, wealth is a reward to be received at the benevolence of God, not a thing to be actively pursued and attained on one's own.

Quote:
Oh, sure, Jesus said everybody ought to sell everything they have.  So... um... do you own the computer you typed this on?  Do you own a pair of shoes?  If you own anything at all, why do you own it?  I'll tell you why... because it's ludicrous for everyone to sell everything they own.

Ad hom. My behavior cannot prove or disprove the Christian moral code. More generally, the difficulty or ease with which a moral code may be practiced says nothing about its truth.

Quote:
I've sat through sermons about camels and needles before.  I don't know if you're aware of this, but you can spin it both ways.  {Dons Pope Hat}  "You see, what Jesus is telling us is not that people should not try to acquire riches, but that the acquisition of riches can become a barrier to reaching the kingdom of heaven IF we allow material goods to become our masters instead of Jesus.  Jesus didn't want us all to be paupers, but he wants us to maintain the mental outlook of one who has nothing, even when God sees fit to bless us with an abundance."

Does not fit with the text. The man Jesus made the analogy about was rich in material goods, not in spirit. Indeed, the man said that he had practiced the law faithfully since he was a boy. That makes him poor in spirit under your usage of the phrase.

Q: Why didn't you address (post x) that I made in response to you nine minutes ago???

A: Because I have (a) a job, (b) familial obligations, (c) social obligations, and (d) probably a lot of other atheists responded to the same post you did, since I am practically the token Christian on this site now. Be patient, please.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm guessing Hamby and

I'm guessing Hamby and Presup are on two different pages. Regardless of what the Bible says, realistically, Christians acquire and consume material just as much as any other group. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'm going to try this

Quote:
I'll make it simple. Your argument takes a few pieces of information, and draws an inductive conclusion:

I'm going to try this again, with very short sentences.

* The set {All Christians} contains all degrees of materialism.

* The set {All Atheists} contains all degrees of materialism.

* The Bible does not offer a unique or lucid set of instructions regarding materialism.

That's it.  That's all I'm saying.  People are just people, and there's no empirical evidence on which to base a conclusion that Christianity makes people less materialistic.

Books about atheism

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:We're all

Hambydammit wrote:
We're all materialists.  We have to be.  We live in a material universe, and our only way of staying alive is to consume.  We must have clothes, shelter, and food.  We accumulate resources because we recognize our own fragile mortality.  We want to have enough tomorrow.

If you believe that only the material world is real, then you will have materialistic values. After all, what else would there be to value?

That there is a direct correlation between materialism as a metaphysical worldview and materialism as a lifestyle should be obvious to anyone who has given the subject matter a moment of thought.

Incidentally, I am not here to defend "Christians." So, your argument is immaterial...no pun intended. 

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If you believe that

Quote:

If you believe that only the material world is real, then you will have materialistic values.

This is a fallacy of equivocation. And the answer to your next question would obviously be "knowledge", which is probably the most important thing of value. Actually, I tend to look at people who are only concerned with consumption with contempt, which sort of puts a hole in your argument. Granted, I like having a comfortable life and so forth (who wouldn't?) but I am much more concerned with intellect than with property. Intellect, is, after all, more important than anything else (certainly more important than the vapid notion of "spirituality" ). The best Christmas present I ever recieved (I still have this, btw) is a book on advanced quantum electrodynamics that I had actually requested. That reminds me, you've put forth a fallacy of bifurcation. You implied there would be nothing to value apart from "material goods" under a materialist perspective (this, as I have already pointed out, is a fallacy of equivocation as well).

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote: That there is a

Quote:
 That there is a direct correlation between materialism as a metaphysical worldview and materialism as a lifestyle should be obvious to anyone who has given the subject matter a moment of thought.

Paisley, don't be dense.  "Materialism" as a lifestyle is redundant.  We have no choice but to live in the material universe and to consume material things.  Everyone who has ever lived was bound to a materialist lifestyle.

If you mean consumption substantially above one's own needs is directly correlated to materialism, I'll have to agree.  (Surprised you there, didn't I!)  But, kiddo, correlation is not causation.  One must be a materialist because there is no choice.  Therefore, anyone who overconsumes is a materialist.  There's your correlation.  The same correlation exists between materialism and ascetics.

Why don't you ditch materialism in this argument?  It's not going to get you anywhere.  Try forming your point again, only using "lifestyle of overconsumption" instead of materialism.

Books about atheism

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Paisley

deludedgod wrote:
Paisley wrote:
If you believe that only the material world is real, then you will have materialistic values.

This is a fallacy of equivocation. And the answer to your next question would obviously be "knowledge", which is probably the most important thing of value. Actually, I tend to look at people who are only concerned with consumption with contempt, which sort of puts a hole in your argument. Granted, I like having a comfortable life and so forth (who wouldn't?) but I am much more concerned with intellect than with property. Intellect, is, after all, more important than anything else (certainly more important than the vapid notion of "spirituality" ). The best Christmas present I ever recieved (I still have this, btw) is a book on advanced quantum electrodynamics that I had actually requested. That reminds me, you've put forth a fallacy of bifurcation. You implied there would be nothing to value apart from "material goods" under a materialist perspective (this, as I have already pointed out, is a fallacy of equivocation as well).

If knowledge is not material, then you have just made a case against materialism.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If knowledge is not

Quote:

If knowledge is not material, then you have just made a case against materialism.

*Rolls eyes*

He couldn't even spot his own fallacy of equivocation!

Materialism/Physicalism: A philosophical position stating that everything that is consists of the physical universe

Materialism: A general desire to accumulate material goods

Knowledge is the result of physical processes hence part of the physical universe, but it is not a material good in the economic sense of the latter

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Quote:If

deludedgod wrote:
Quote:

*Rolls eyes*

Materialism/Physicalism: A philosophical position stating that everything that is consists of the physical universe

Knowledge is the result of physical processes hence part of the physical universe, but it is not a material good in the economic sense of the latter

Then if knowledge is material, then you are still seeking to "accumulate material goods." 

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:I'll

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I'm going to try this again, with very short sentences.

* The set {All Christians} contains all degrees of materialism.

* The set {All Atheists} contains all degrees of materialism.

* The Bible does not offer a unique or lucid set of instructions regarding materialism.

That's it.  That's all I'm saying.  People are just people, and there's no empirical evidence on which to base a conclusion that Christianity makes people less materialistic.

Your third point is wrong. I have defended its contrary, and I have rebutted your previous attempts to bolster it. The Bible is quite clear that materialism is wrong. This implies that Christianity is philosophically opposed to materialism. This implies that whatever is causing our culture to become more materialistic, it is not Christianity. Indeed, religion generally is not materialistic, tending to endorse humility before God rather than the accumulation of earthly goods. The obvious candidate for the corruption of our society, therefore, is the slow encroachment of secularism.

I agree with your first and second points, but the inference you draw from them is absurd. People do not always live in accordance with their moral codes, and that applies doubly to a code as difficult to practice as Christianity's. Many Christians are too weak to aim for the highest good, and they conform readily to societal trends. When the trend is away from the Bible, their lifestyles will slide along with it. Indeed, their behavior does not represent Christianity, but secularism.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Presuppositionalist wrote:

The Bible is quite clear that materialism is wrong.

Then why does God reward so many people in the Bible with material gain?

Why do Christians make such a big deal of the everlasting life as a reward for accepting Jesus? That is, after all, a material gain.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:If you

Hambydammit wrote:
If you mean consumption substantially above one's own needs is directly correlated to materialism, I'll have to agree.  (Surprised you there, didn't I!) 

That's what I mean. That is the conventional meaning of the term when we say that someone is "materialistic."

Quote:
materialism: 2: a preoccupation with or stress upon material rather than intellectual or spiritual things

(source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary: materialism)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/materialism

We live in a materialistic culture, not because we live in a so-called material world, but because we (i.e. our society as a whole) has a preoccupation with and overemphasis on things material.

Hambydammit wrote:
But, kiddo, correlation is not causation.  One must be a materialist because there is no choice.  Therefore, anyone who overconsumes is a materialist.  There's your correlation.  The same correlation exists between materialism and ascetics.

Christian and Buddhist monks do not live materialistic lifestyles. Yes, they have material needs to function in a physical world. But they endeavor to live as simply as possible. This is the difference between need and greed.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:* The

Hambydammit wrote:

There's certainly a clear-cut message that Jesus has about religious merchandise: he overturned the carts outside the temple. Buying Christian merchandise that says "What would Jesus do?" is accomplishing the exact opposite thing that Jesus would do.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:deludedgod

Paisley wrote:

deludedgod wrote:
Quote:

*Rolls eyes*

Then if knowledge is material, then you are still seeking to "accumulate material goods." 

I can see a problem in DG's definitions there that you seem to be picking up on.

"A general desire to accumulate material goods" should be restated to make it clear that by "material goods" is meant the sort of objects of desire that we associate with "over-consumption", not the more abstract "goods" such as knowledge, even if they can be shown to be ultimately an aspect of the material/physical world.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:There's certainly a

Quote:
There's certainly a clear-cut message that Jesus has about religious merchandise: he overturned the carts outside the temple. Buying Christian merchandise that says "What would Jesus do?" is accomplishing the exact opposite thing that Jesus would do.

To address both Will and Presup, I didn't say the bible doesn't offer any instructions regarding materialism.  I said it doesn't offer a unique or lucid set of instructions.  Certainly one can read the story of Jesus overturning the tables and reach the conclusion that selling shit in church is bad.  One could also reach the conclusion that Jesus didn't like any kind of selling in church.  Or... maybe he didn't like dishonest sellers in church.  Or... maybe he didn't like selling religious stuff in church but selling it outside is ok.

Then again, who's going to buy anything if everybody is supposed to sell everything they own?  Then again, why does Jesus promise us riches in heaven if we're not supposed to be materialistic?  If we're only supposed to be materialistic once we get to heaven, is it because the resources on the earth are limited?  Does that mean the environmentlists are on God's side?

By the way, Presup, I'm not asking these questions in search of an answer.  They're rhetorical.  Everybody but you can see that the Bible has conflicting messages that can be interpreted in different ways.

DG has spelled out the conflation I was talking about earlier.  "Materialism" doesn't lead logically to "Materialism."  That is, the belief that all that exists is material has no connection whatsoever to the lifestyle choice of accumulation of wealth.

Finally, to re-reiterate, nothing in the Bible with regard to materialism is unique.  Ascetics of various ilks the world over had discovered the value of non-materialism before anyone had thought of the idea of one masochistic god to rule over the desert.

Books about atheism

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I can see a

BobSpence1 wrote:
I can see a problem in DG's definitions there that you seem to be picking up on.

"A general desire to accumulate material goods" should be restated to make it clear that by "material goods" is meant the sort of objects of desire that we associate with "over-consumption", not the more abstract "goods" such as knowledge, even if they can be shown to be ultimately an aspect of the material/physical world.

If "thoughts or abstractions" cannot be shown to be an aspect of the material world, then your belief in materialism is based on faith (faith as the atheist defines the term - .i.e. belief without sufficient evidence).

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Paisley, do you just not

Paisley, do you just not understand the explanation of thought, ideas, abstractions, etc?  You've read it an awful lot of times, and never been able to refute it.  I wonder if you're just ignoring it.

Books about atheism

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:BobSpence1

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

If "thoughts or abstractions" cannot be shown to be an aspect of the material world, then your belief in materialism is based on faith (faith as the atheist defines the term - .i.e. belief without sufficient evidence).

Of course, I am quite confident that "Knowledge is an aspect of the material/physical world", and I refer to the endless threads where this has been thrashed out, that Hamby was referring to.

By making it conditional in that post, I was just trying to make it clear that the term "material goods" in the second definition was not meant to refer to anything different to the common category of objects of consumption, regardless of how we classified concepts like "knowledge".

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 To put it another way, the

To put it another way, the desire for accumulating knowledge has no particular correlation with the desire to accumulate physical items.

So let's get really nitpicky:

Materialism(1) - the belief that all that exists is a natural part of the material universe.

Materialism(2) - the belief that accumulation of physical items is worthwhile

Curiosity - the desire to accumulate knowledge.

These three things are distinct as ideas, and one does not lead logically to any other.

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Then if knowledge is

Quote:

And he still fails to spot his own fallacy of equivocation. The "materialism" that you initially is more specific than "possessing physical objects". If I was obsessed with collecting and painting rocks, that wouldn't really classify me as a "materialist". A materialist is someone who equates happiness with consumption of economic goods. Actually, the proper term is consumerist, which should be used to avoid confusion. If you are still having trouble grasping the difference between the economic concept of a "material good" and the philosophical concept of "a material object", then I refuse to this discussion, because there is no way to explain it any more simply.

-Me

Books about atheism

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
I blame Madonna for this

I blame Madonna for this argument. If she could have gotten "materialistic" to scan in the chorus of "Material World" (what the song really meant in other words) then English-speaking christians who obviously don't possess a dictionary might not now be so confused.

Dogs have a bark. Trees have a bark. Do christians spend sleepless nights near wooded areas, unable to nod off for the incessant baying of the sycamores?

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Quote:Then

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

And he still fails to spot his own fallacy of equivocation. The "materialism" that you initially is more specific than "possessing physical objects". If I was obsessed with collecting and painting rocks, that wouldn't really classify me as a "materialist". A materialist is someone who equates happiness with consumption of economic goods. Actually, the proper term is consumerist, which should be used to avoid confusion.

Paisley does show this persistent inability or refusal to acknowledge shades of meaning of words - coupled with getting stuck on particular words like 'materialism' and  'immaterial'.

His concept of materialism is so narrow, he stubbornly refuses to acknowledge that there are a whole range of philosphies that could be labelled "materialism", many better referred to by terms such as "naturalism", encompassing theories of mind and the indeterminism of quantum mechanics, etc.

His thought process seems to be that since Atheism denies the supernatural, the soul, etc, therefore we must be 'materialists' of the most reductionist ilk. Anything which can't be seen as consistent with the crudest materialism shows that materialism per se is invalid, and the only alternative is full-blown supernaturalism/dualism. Just like his equating no hope in the promises of faith to no hope of any kind. No subtlety of thought.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold

nigelTheBold wrote:

The Bible is quite clear that materialism is wrong.

Then why does God reward so many people in the Bible with material gain?

I grant that God often uses wealth as a reward. However, rewarding good behavior with wealth is not the same as saying that the independent pursuit of wealth for the sake of having wealth is good.

As an analogy, a parent might give a child candy as a reward for good behavior. It does not follow that the parent wants the child to be good simply for the sake of getting candy, or that the parent wants the pursuit of candy to be the child's all-consuming goal, or even that the parent wants the child to try to get candy on his own. It simply means that the parent, for whatever reason, is using candy as a reward.

Quote:
Why do Christians make such a big deal of the everlasting life as a reward for accepting Jesus? That is, after all, a material gain.

The behavior of individual Christians does not tell us whether or not Christianity is philosophically materialistic.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

To address both Will and Presup, I didn't say the bible doesn't offer any instructions regarding materialism.  I said it doesn't offer a unique or lucid set of instructions.  Certainly one can read the story of Jesus overturning the tables and reach the conclusion that selling shit in church is bad.  One could also reach the conclusion that Jesus didn't like any kind of selling in church.  Or... maybe he didn't like dishonest sellers in church.  Or... maybe he didn't like selling religious stuff in church but selling it outside is ok.

Even if that story is ambiguous, the camel and needle thing that I brought up is not ambiguous at all. You have attempted to create wiggle room around what the text clearly says, and I have rebutted you.

Quote:
Then again, who's going to buy anything if everybody is supposed to sell everything they own?

Try to name the verse where Christ says that everyone should sell everything they own. You will find only verses in which Christ demands such sacrifices of specific individuals. It is unreasonable to infer from these instances that everyone should sell everything they own, given the Christian moral code.

Quote:
Then again, why does Jesus promise us riches in heaven if we're not supposed to be materialistic?

Your inference is invalid. From "you should do x, and y will happen if you do x", it does not follow that "you should do x, BECAUSE y will happen if you do x". The reason for doing x may be entirely unrelated to y. And, for the Christian, that is how it is supposed to be. The Christian is supposed to be motivated by a love of God and a genuine desire to obey Him, not by his heavenly reward.

Quote:
If we're only supposed to be materialistic once we get to heaven, is it because the resources on the earth are limited?  Does that mean the environmentlists are on God's side?

I deny that we are supposed to be materialistic either on earth or in heaven. On earth, we ought to obey God. In heaven, we ought to obey God. In neither location should the goal become the accumulation of material goods. Material goods may be useful in accomplishing the goals set for us by the Lord, but the accumulation of material goods simply for the sake of having material goods should never become a motivating factor for the Christian.

Quote:
By the way, Presup, I'm not asking these questions in search of an answer.  They're rhetorical.  Everybody but you can see that the Bible has conflicting messages that can be interpreted in different ways.

They surely "can be" so interpreted, but only in the sense that The Shining "can be" read as a lighthearted children's story. I have rebutted each piece of evidence that you've put forward. You yet to establish that a reasonable materialistic interpretation of the scriptures exists. And simply insisting that you are correct, without argument, is precisely the sort of thing that you would rail against for paragraphs if any theist did it.

Quote:
Finally, to re-reiterate, nothing in the Bible with regard to materialism is unique.  Ascetics of various ilks the world over had discovered the value of non-materialism before anyone had thought of the idea of one masochistic god to rule over the desert.

Which is not relevant. I am not saying that Christianity is unique in its non-materialism.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold

nigelTheBold wrote:

materialism begets all the ills of the world, including consumerism, corporatism, men who think the comb-over is a great hair style, abortion, egg salad sandwiches, greed, hate, men who fly planes into buildings, women who show too much flesh, spumoni ice cream, women who don't show enough flesh, and so on.

Dammit, Nigel, I like egg salad sandwiches! They are not evil!

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:To address

Hambydammit wrote:

Wait wait wait. Are you saying that the Bible is vague and open to interpretation? That's ... that's just shocking. My whole worldview has been totally shattered. I'm a bit overwrought ... talk amongst yourselves.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:As an analogy, a

Quote:
As an analogy, a parent might give a child candy as a reward for good behavior. It does not follow that the parent wants the child to be good simply for the sake of getting candy, or that the parent wants the pursuit of candy to be the child's all-consuming goal, or even that the parent wants the child to try to get candy on his own.

Is the candy an important factor at all? 

Quote:
It simply means that the parent, for whatever reason, is using candy as a reward

For whatever reason, eh.......

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Paisley

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley does show this persistent inability or refusal to acknowledge shades of meaning of words - coupled with getting stuck on particular words like 'materialism' and  'immaterial'.

To be fair to Paisley, we do give him a hard time from the get-go. To revert back to being unfair to Paisley, as is my wont, there is no reason to expect that Paisley will ever read, parse, process or understand an "Atheistic materialist" viewpoint, whatever that happens to be.

Paisley, here's the short version:

Science is still working so that we know more. Until we know everything, there will always be undiscovered territory over which we may argue. You can call that immaterial if you like, but it makes you look stupid. Why? Because sudden, unexpected behaviour in nature has become so rare under the illumination of scientific study that someone would have to have a really good reason to believe that laws of physics, for example, have been suspended. A reason better than "I read this book this one time."

Merry Christmas, you fucking jackass.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Try to name the verse where Christ says that everyone should sell everything they own. You will find only verses in which Christ demands such sacrifices of specific individuals. It is unreasonable to infer from these instances that everyone should sell everything they own, given the Christian moral code.

How about Luke, 12:30-33ish? Yes, you can say 'he's just talking to specific people there', but if that's the case, and that only applies to the disciples, then why do so many other things he said to the disciples apply to everyone? What about that whole 'I am the Way, the Truth, and the Light. None come to the Father except through me.'? That was said to the disciples, and that was clearly a call to live a life following his example. Most Christians will claim it means that salvation only comes through believing in Christ's message and worshiping Jesus Christ. But Christ never demanded or accepted worship. At no point does Jesus claim the Godhead. The closest he comes is telling Thomas that 'blessed are those who do not see, but still believe'... and that wasn't about his own divinity, but about him being ressurected by God, as a seperate Power that raised him from the dead. He called upon people to follow him, not to worship him... and what was that message that salvation can only be found by following? What was the example people were to follow?

Luke: 12:33: "Sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor. Make yourselves wallets that don't wear out-a dependable treasure in heaven, where no thief can get close and no moth can destroy anything."

If it is unreasonable to infer from that instance that everyone should do as he says there, then it is unreasonable to infer that anything he said to the Disciples is binding on anyone else. Which includes the Way/Truth/Light bit, the Golden Rule, and turning the other cheek. Keep in mind that despite what a lot of Christians assume, 'The Disciples' is not 'The Twelve'. It's the larger group of his followers that tagged along, dead-head style, while he was on his 'Jesus Christ - 33 AD' Tour through Galiliee and Judea.

Quote:

The Christian is supposed to be motivated by a love of God and a genuine desire to obey Him, not by his heavenly reward.

And the true irony here? The only way to really do that is to forsake God entirely. To live a moral and just life without concern for God, because as long as you hold to God, you are holding to that hope of heavenly reward. If it is right to do, it is right to do, regardless of God.

Quote:

I deny that we are supposed to be materialistic either on earth or in heaven. On earth, we ought to obey God. In heaven, we ought to obey God. In neither location should the goal become the accumulation of material goods. Material goods may be useful in accomplishing the goals set for us by the Lord, but the accumulation of material goods simply for the sake of having material goods should never become a motivating factor for the Christian.

Hmmm... might wanna check that line from Luke again... he's pretty clearly saying that the impetus for change should be a desire for reward in Heaven. While it might not include the accumulation of excess material items, a case could be made that simple existence in Heaven, instead of 1,000 years of torture in Gehenna and then ultimate annihilation is a tangible material reward.

Quote:

They surely "can be" so interpreted, but only in the sense that The Shining "can be" read as a lighthearted children's story. I have rebutted each piece of evidence that you've put forward. You yet to establish that a reasonable materialistic interpretation of the scriptures exists. And simply insisting that you are correct, without argument, is precisely the sort of thing that you would rail against for paragraphs if any theist did it.

Indeed! Ironic, no? Especially since both of you sincerely believe in what you're saying and think the other is a clueless dunderhead who just doesn't Get It (tm)...

See, here's the problem: Person A has reached a conclusion, and has their mind made up. There is no room for real discussion, only instruction, because Person A feels Person B is completely wrong and needs to just admit it already.

I leave it to Persons A and B to realize that everyone who's taken a gnostic position is both Person A, and everyone else's Person B.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:nigelTheBold

BMcD wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

materialism begets all the ills of the world, including consumerism, corporatism, men who think the comb-over is a great hair style, abortion, egg salad sandwiches, greed, hate, men who fly planes into buildings, women who show too much flesh, spumoni ice cream, women who don't show enough flesh, and so on.

Dammit, Nigel, I like egg salad sandwiches! They are not evil!

I'm sorry to hear that.

It's now the moral duty of the community to take you into the wilderness and stone you to death.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 HisWillness wrote:Wait

HisWillness wrote:
Wait wait wait. Are you saying that the Bible is vague and open to interpretation? That's ... that's just shocking. My whole worldview has been totally shattered. I'm a bit overwrought ... talk amongst yourselves.

Hmmm... in reviewing my post, I have come to the realization that I started writing with something in mind for you, and it simply isn't in the finished product.  I have no idea what it was.

By the way, for Presup and Paisley and anyone else objecting to my statement that the Bible is open to interpretation, I'm sorry.  I can't even think of a way to start to argue this.  It's like if someone told me to argue that street lamps in Manhattan aren't made of Jello pudding.

Interlocutor: Prove that street lamps in Manhattan aren't made of Jello pudding.

Me: Um...  they're not.  Duh.

How do you even argue against someone saying that the Bible can only be interpreted in one way?  I mean... fucking hell!  I've personally sat through at least three different sermons on the camel and the eye of a needle.  All three of them were different.  There you go.  Proof positive.  The bible can be interpreted in different ways.  End of discussion.  

Books about atheism

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Interlocutor: Prove that street lamps in Manhattan aren't made of Jello pudding.

Me: Um...  they're not.  Duh.

The proper answer is: "Jell-O pudding tastes good. The street lamps in Manhattan do not. Ergo, they are not made of Jell-O pudding."

QED.

Quote:

How do you even argue against someone saying that the Bible can only be interpreted in one way?  I mean... fucking hell!  I've personally sat through at least three different sermons on the camel and the eye of a needle.  All three of them were different.  There you go.  Proof positive.  The bible can be interpreted in different ways.  End of discussion.  

Me, I just open up the phone book to "Churches," and point out all the different "Bill's Church of the Upright Holy Spirit of the Most Immaculate Conception of the True Word of God of the Most Righteous Jesus Christ Baptist Evengelical Temple and Pizza Parlor," and shout, "I'm a toaster! I'm a toaster!"

That usually shuts 'em up.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Me, I just open up

Quote:
Me, I just open up the phone book to "Churches," and point out all the different "Bill's Church of the Upright Holy Spirit of the Most Immaculate Conception of the True Word of God of the Most Righteous Jesus Christ Baptist Evengelical Temple and Pizza Parlor," and shout, "I'm a toaster! I'm a toaster!"

That usually shuts 'em up.

ROFL

I'm going to try that sometime.

Books about atheism