Does atheism make sense?

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Does atheism make sense?

If I say I don't believe in Leprachuans, we have an immediate understanding of what that means, i.e. that I don't believe in little green beings that place pots of gold at the end of every rainbow.

What you hear more often than not is a disbeliever who treats a disbelief in God, with God being conceived of as a simple concept like leprechauns, there by removing disbelief from any other implications like on a worldview, or philosophy, even though belief in God is never separated from the worldview, or perspective on life of the believer, for some reason atheist still feel that disbelief can be separated from a worldview, from a perspective on life.

If i were to tell a person who had no idea what the term Leprachaun means, he might ask me what is the meaning of "Leprachuans", i would tell him that they are little green men who place pots of gold at the end of every rainbow. And it's easy to see why a disbelief in Leprachuans doesn't have much of an implication on much else, like a worldview, my perspective on life. Because Leprechauns don't really have an emblematic quality.

The mistake by many atheist is to treat God as such as well, when God has a component that Leprachauns don't have, an emblematic conception of him, the representive of perspective on life, a worldview. That denial of God is in fact a statement affirming a particular view of life. A denial of a worldview is an affirmation of another one. A denial of a world with a transcendent purpose and meaning, is an affirmation of a worldview in which life has no transcendent purpose and meaning. 

Nearly all theistic conceptions of God no matter what the particular sect of theism are statements of a perspective on life. God is emblematic of these conceptions. 

For fundamentalist and others God is emblematic of the supposed inherent design and order of life. That if their belief is solely based on this, their God concept cannot be distinguished from what it's emblematic of (such as the silliness of separating symbols from what they are symbolic of). There statement on their perspective on life is that life has an inherent design and order, an atheist who denies this is affirming a perspective on life in which life has no inherent design and order. They are affirming certain parts of a worldview, by their disbelief in God.

For me, as a mainline Christian, my belief in God is solely based on a meaning and purpose to human existence, and that any future sense of disbelief would solely be based on a denial of this meaning and purpose. A belief in what this meaning and purpose is, and a belief in God don't equal two, God is only that symbol that embodies that meaning. And a denial of God is an affirmation of an alternative worldview. In fact the reason why I am not an atheist, a muslim, or a hindu, or a pagan, is that I don't believe in their worldview, I don't believe in what their Gods are emblematic of. 

While atheism is not a complete worldview, it is an affirmation of a partial one, because a denial of God who is emblematic of a perspective on life, is affirmation of an alternative perspective on it.

A belief or disbelief in God is not the same as disbelief in toothy fairies, who are simply little flying hot chicks in bikinis, nothing more nothing less, a belief in God is composed of emblematic conceptions, symbolic of a perspective on life. All theistic beliefs no matter of what stripe can be broken down as such.

"I'm really an idiot! I have my own head way the fuck up my ass! Watch me dig myself into a hole over and over again!" ~Rook Hawkins (just citing sources)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:jcgadfly

theidiot wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Just like the way you addressed Jill's statement. If you have to violate the rules of logic to sell yourself on your God - how good can he really be?

Base rate fallacy.

Education in logic via Wikipedia?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:  I hope

Hambydammit wrote:
  I hope the Giants beat the Eagles in their playoff game.  

Hamy, I'm about to go to dinner, but I suggest you look up and read post 88 (my response to your previous post), perhaps you missed it before or something, and that's why you haven't responded. But I'm not going to correct your repetition of the same error, over and over again, until you do. 

"I'm really an idiot! I have my own head way the fuck up my ass! Watch me dig myself into a hole over and over again!" ~Rook Hawkins (just citing sources)

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Thomathy

theidiot wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

Can you explain how that's a base rate fallacy?

My george, I think he's got it!

1 down, 2 to go. 

I think I know what you're doing now.  It's childish.  I think you could raise an actual objection to JillSwift's observation in post #91 and attempt to refute her if she is wrong rather than attempting to prove a point by throwing out the names of fallacies.  IOW, if you have an objection to JillSwift's post call her out instead of being snarky.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I read it, and didn't

I read it, and didn't respond because others said what I would have said, but as a favor to you, I'll personally address it.  See you after dinner.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Hambydammit

theidiot wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Hamy, I'm about to go to dinner, but I suggest you look up and read post 88 (my response to your previous post), perhaps you missed it before or something, and that's why you haven't responded. But I'm not going to correct your repetition of the same error, over and over again, until you do. 

This would lead me to believe that you didn't read Hamby's post in its entirety.  Perhaps you'll have more time after dinner?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Hambydammit

theidiot wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

I reread #88 also. It seems like the difference between you and an atheist is that the atheist's hope is contingent on his/her actions where yours is contingent on your belief in an unprovable being that may or may not help you (depending on his will) because you can't/won't/are afraid to do for yourself.

Please correct if I'm misreading.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Uhm...there's a

Quote:
Uhm...there's a difference between saying I hope no children are going to be killed in Gaza, and saying I have hope that no children are going to be killed in Gaza.

or I hope that no child in Malawi will die of starvation in , and I have hope that no child in Malawi  will die of starvation. Do you understand the difference?

Apparently not.  What is the difference?

Quote:
Uhm...let's quote what you said again, when I asked you what makes you hopeful: "based on my knowledge of the past and present, it seems very likely that my future will be basically ok."

And what I said is that I am speaking of individuals who based on the knowledge of their past and present, that it seems very likely that their future won't be basically ok. I'm puzzled by why you didn't understand that the first time.

Ok, so I'll repeat the question.  At what point does a human's present get so bad that they can no longer imagine things improving and desire that to happen?

Quote:
Read what I wrote at the beginning of this post, then perhaps you'll see what's wrong here.

I did.  I don't.

Quote:
A peripheral correction, but okay. 

Your hope is contingent on the fortunes of your past and present.

My hope is partially derived from my observations of the past and present, not just observations of my own past and present.  I'm not sure if you read it that way or not.  In other words, I see that on balance, the world stays about the same and people behave about like people, so it seems reasonable to conclude that tommorow, it'll be about the same.

Also remember that I'm genetically programmed to be hopeful.  So my hope is not solely dependent on any particular perceptions of the environment.

Quote:
Ah, allow me to make sense of it for you, by first having you tell me what about it doesn't make sense to you?

It doesn't seem to relate to anything I know as "hope."  That's why I asked you to use a different word and define it so that I can separate this thing I'm thinking of as hope and this other thing (which is completely unknown to me) which you posit.

You see?  It's possible you as a believer experience something I have never experienced, so I'd like you to define what you have that you think I don't.  That way, I'll be able to evaluate whether I have it or not.  By the way, I think you ought to know, I was a Christian for most of two decades, and I can't recall ever having anything that I would call hope that was different from anything I have now.  Does that mean I wasn't a real Christian, or that God didn't love me enough to give me hope even though I believed in him?

Quote:
Really? Is that the science? Is that what the data shows? I'm really interested in seeing this. I had trouble finding this data myself, but perhaps since you seen it, you can show it to me as well? 

Can you show me the scientific data that shows that most human beings are optimist, and not pessimists? 

And I hope you think twice before bringing me a poll taken of swedes.

Well, I'm not going to try to teach you a college level psych course over the internet.  I have no idea if anyone has put any handy graphs on the interwebs.  This isn't about polling.  This is about the cumulative results of thousands, or maybe even tens of thousands of scientific experiments.  If you'd like me to recommend some good psychology texts, I will.

Where I think you may be misunderstanding is this.  In any given day, we perform thousands of individual actions.  Most of them pass by our conscious notice because they are very insignificant or repetitive to the point that we ignore them.  Nevertheless, we do interact with our environment in thousands of different ways, and if you think about it, in pretty much all of those instances, we go on the unacknowledged assumption that the results will be positive.

If you think about it, it's almost self-evident.  (Almost...)  Humans, like every other creature, have their own best interest at heart most of the time.  It's basic evolution.  If you have your own worst interests at heart... well, you'll probably die.  Even the smallest of actions can be said to be generally geared towards making our lives good as opposed to bad.  Our entire existence can only be said to be the result of us typically wanting good things for ourselves.

Read that last sentence... "wanting good things for ourselves."  Now... alter it slightly... "Desiring good things for ourselves."  One more.... "Hoping good things for ourselves."

Granted, self interest is not precisely the same thing as imagining things like whales not going extinct or children in Etheopia not starving, but if we're building a human psyche from the ground up, we realize that it's pretty much impossible to get to the point of imagining broad abstracts without first desiring our own well being.

That's a very rough sketch of how you can try to grasp the concept, but like I said, it's not a bumper sticker proof.  You'd need to digest quite a lot of information to say that you have a complete understanding of it.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot, your argument is

theidiot, your argument is basically "The hope I have is real. Your hope is not." That's special pleading.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:"An atheist

theidiot wrote:

"An atheist who believes in an enduring hope, a hope that is always there, even in misery, would be as odd as an atheist who believes the cosmos have an intelligent design behind it."

In our previous correspondence, I gave you a brief summary of my hope:

"I believe all that I do good in life is not in vain, that loving humanity is not a wasted effort, that there is always hope, even in misery. Even if science doesn't lead us to conceive of such hope, even the cleansing power of liberalism doesn't do it for us, even the nature of man doesn't give us hope, that hope is still present. "

And you replied: "And yet I can experience all this hope"

And hey, maybe you do, but it would be as odd as an atheist who believes the cosmos have an intelligent design behind it.

But an atheist who believes that the cosmos was designed is hardly an atheist. I shortened that to "bad atheist" because it would be a poor atheist who believed in a cosmic designer. Are you with me?

theidiot wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that "enduring hope" is, in your opinion, only possible with a Father in the Sky who promises you The Eternal Mohito Afterlife Cruise? Obviously I don't buy that. That's something that would make me a bad atheist.

And you would be wrong, "enduring hope", is only possible with a belief in that which can make it possible, a belief in that which can only fulfill it. 

[...]

It comes from the only view of life that such hope is possible, a view of life with a narrative, that we live a poetic form of human existence. Good can never be in vain, only in such a view. Hope when there's nothing to hope for can only be in such a view.

If you weren't so busy being impressed with your own rhetoric, maybe we'd have a chance to understand what the hell you're talking about. Did you just say I was wrong for guessing that you think only through God there can be hope? 

theidiot wrote:
And the name we give to that which can give this life, is God.

... and then tell me that the name of the thing that can give hope is God?

You probably want to rephrase that without the obvious contradiction. 

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Still formulating your

Still formulating your definition for me, Idiot?  Take your time.  This is important.

Books about atheism

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: It

Hambydammit wrote:
 It doesn't seem to relate to anything I know as "hope." 

Hambydammit wrote:
 Apparently not.  What is the difference?

Hambydammit wrote:
 Still formulating your definition for me, Idiot?  Take your time.  This is important.

This is odd to me, I'm assuming your trouble with the definition of hope lies where you can't tell the distinction. even though where I asked you to tell the distinction is in the common usage of the word hope.

It puzzles me that you can't tell the difference between these two usages of hope: I hope the Eagles will win tomorrow, and I have hope the eagles will win tomorrow? And I have a nagging sense that you do know what the distinction is, but have a desire to play the troll, and pretend like you don't. I'm hoping that it might not be the case, but I don't have hope that it isn't. 

The difference between the two sentences is readily accessible when we notice how the sentences themselves are distinct, and that would be with the use of the word "have" in the second sentence. Saying I have hope in something, means that I have faith that the hope will be fulfilled/realized. 

You claimed that your knowledge of the past, and present, gives you hope that the future will be ok, your use of the word hope here, means that you have faith that your hope will be realized. 

If i were to purchase a lottery ticket, I would hope that i would win, but there is a distinction between this and my claims of having hope in something. When I say i hope I will win the lottery (rather than I have hope that I will win the lottery) this doesn't imply that I actually have faith in me winning, or having my hope realized.

If I were to give you a lottery ticket for tomorrow's drawing, I'm sure you would hope that you would win, but do you not see the distinction in the usage of hope here, and you having hope that the  future will be ok? You hope that you would win the lottery, but do you believe that it will be realized? Do you believe the future will be ok, will be realized? 

Another word that we can use to signify having hope, is hopeful, but common usage of the word hope, allows us to use it as such without using hopeful in it's place. 

Now, hamy, I have no interest in repeating this sort of "going over with you" again. I believe that any average reader would have understand from the get-go, at least after my previous clarification of it, what i meant.

I have no desire to continually break down terms, as if I were doing so for a child on an adult forum, i find it tedious, and judging that I come on forums for my own benefit, to better articulate my own ideas, and to see their faults, such exercises are rarely of interest for me to pursue. 

So let's see after this post, if you understand the distinction between: "I hope no children are going to be killed in Gaza, and saying I have hope that no children are going to be killed in Gaza."

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:theidiot,

JillSwift wrote:

theidiot, your argument is basically "The hope I have is real. Your hope is not." That's special pleading.

And this is where you would be wrong, being, that that is not my argument. No where did I say my hope is real, and your hope is not. You can go back and read what i wrote, and tell me where you specifically think, this is what I am claiming, and I can clarify this for you.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:And this is

theidiot wrote:
And this is where you would be wrong, being, that that is not my argument. No where did I say my hope is real, and your hope is not. You can go back and read what i wrote, and tell me where you specifically think, this is what I am claiming, and I can clarify this for you.
Let's see:

You say the difference is between hoping about something and having hope in something.

I say that I have hope in something a well as hope about things.

You say I don't have hope because then I'd be a poor atheist.

I say you're just calling your hope "true" and my hope "false".

When I say that, you just repeat that there's a difference between having hope and just hoping.

And around it goes.

It's a special plead argument.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Saying I have

theidiot wrote:

Saying I have hope in something, means that I believe that I have faith that the hope will be fulfilled/realized.

First, I am struck by one curious aspect of the phrasing of this statement.

"Having faith" that something is true is one thing, that we hear all the time.

But if you only believe you have that faith seems a curiously less certain version of "faith". Surely the "faith" you refer to is the promary feeling, ie you either have that feeling, that conviction, or not. You phrasing suggests you are absolutely confident that you have that feeling. That you aren't sure that you have the surety of "faith". So you have this slight element of doubt that you don't have a doubt that your faith is justified.

The confusion here seems to be because of different usages of the word "hope" as a noun.

According to my dictionary "hope" (noun) means:

1. a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen;

2. a person or thing that may help or save someone;

3. grounds for believing that something good may happen.

theidiot is clearly using it in the third sense, whereas simply "hoping" is equivalent to "having hope", but only in the first usage of the word.

So theidiot is claiming we have no grounds for our hope, whereas he believes he has. Which of course is still only a belief.

Believing that some benefactor is going to come along and rescue you you from despair will certainly give you hope, make you feel better, but then so will prozac or other drugs...

So it still boils down to whether the belief in the ultimate rescue from this 'vale of tears' is justified on more solid grounds than "it makes me feel better".

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:theidiot

JillSwift wrote:

theidiot wrote:
Let's see:

You say the difference is between hoping about something and having hope in something.

I say that I have hope in something a well as hope about things.

You say I don't have hope because then I'd be a poor atheist.

I say you're just calling your hope "true" and my hope "false".

When I say that, you just repeat that there's a difference between having hope and just hoping.

And around it goes.

It's a special plead argument.

Smiling

Well, if I actually did say all that, than I'm sure it would be special pleading. I never even used the words "true" or "false" i.e. in that my sense of having hope is true and unbelievers sense of hope having hope false.

In fact Hamy has hope that the future will be ok, based on his knowledge of the past and present, there's nothing false about that sense of having hope, nor does it make him a poor atheist for having it. And if you read the above post, I specifically wrote than Hamy has hope in this regard, and never once did i refer to his hope as odd, false, or anything else. 

I suggest if you would like to continue to accuse me of special pleading, that you use actual quotes of mine (and let's not snip them out of context), rather than you saying what you think i said, and giving me words that I have not once used, such as true and false. 

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:theidiot

BobSpence1 wrote:

theidiot wrote:

Saying I have hope in something, means that I believe that I have faith that the hope will be fulfilled/realized.

First, I am struck by one curious aspect of the phrasing of this statement.

"Having faith" that something is true is one thing, that we hear all the time.

But if you only believe you have that faith seems a curiously less certain version of "faith"

And, that was just poor wording on my part, it should just be:
"Saying I have hope in something, means that, I have faith that the hope will be fulfilled/realized." and the "i believe" part should be snipped.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Well, if I

theidiot wrote:

Smiling

Well, if I actually did say all that, than I'm sure it would be special pleading. I never even used the words "true" or "false" i.e. in that my sense of having hope is true and unbelievers sense of hope having hope false.

In fact Hamy has hope that the future will be ok, based on his knowledge of the past and present, there's nothing false about that sense of having hope, nor does it make him a poor atheist for having it. And if you read the above post, I specifically wrote than Hamy has hope in this regard, and never once did i refer to his hope as odd, false, or anything else. 

I suggest if you would like to continue to accuse me of special pleading, that you use actual quotes of mine (and let's not snip them out of context), rather than you saying what you think i said, and giving me words that I have not once used, such as true and false.

If you'll read more carefully, I didn't say that you used those words, I said "I say you're just calling your faith true and mine false". See, I'm using those words.

theidiot in a previous post wrote:
And you would be wrong, "enduring hope", is only possible with a belief in that which can make it possible, a belief in that which can only fulfill it.
We've all given examples of how atheists can hope just as described. You pooh-pooh them:

theidiot wrote:
If it's not a hope contingent on things in this reality, like Ham's past and present, like hope in the goodness of humanity, or hope in science and technology, but a hope that endures even without them, it's a hope in something transcendent to reality.
See?

theidiot wrote:
The sense of hope in my life, unlike Ham's doesn't come from a fortunate past that leads me to believe the future is going to be ok, it doesn't come from a hope in scientific progression, the goodness of humanity, liberalism, humanism, hope in rationalism, it doesn't come from someone singing to me "imagine no religion".
More pooh-pooh-ing.

theidiot wrote:
It comes from the only view of life that such hope is possible, a view of life with a narrative, that we live a poetic form of human existence. Good can never be in vain, only in such a view. Hope when there's nothing to hope for can only be in such a view.
Here you again call your hope "real" - "the only view of life that such hope is possible". Which by contrast, means that an atheist can't have "real" hope. Special pleading.

theidiot wrote:
And the name we give to that which can give this life, is God.
I could call it "George", or "Delusion", or "Wishful Thinking", or "Rational Control/Mitigation of Fear", or "Tao-Xiao", or all manner of things.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:If it's not a

theidiot wrote:
If it's not a hope contingent on things in this reality, like Ham's past and present, like hope in the goodness of humanity, or hope in science and technology, but a hope that endures even without them, it's a hope in something transcendent to reality.

ROFLMAO So you admit it is imaginary, thank you.

There is just 1 reality. If you are saying there is something better than reality, what the hell are you referring to but something that could only be imaginary?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.