Why are fat women more attractive than fat men?

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why are fat women more attractive than fat men?

I don't know if I'm among a minority of men (and I bet you I'm not) but I find women of different body shapes physically attractive. But a common theme is a low waist-hip ratio and a pretty face (ie. in keeping with my evolutionary bound reproductive predispositions). IMO, most women fit this description.

But is the converse at all true? Do women find the guy with central obesity (ie. fat mainly in the gut) sexually attractive?

This also begs another question. Given that there are a significant number of men who would enjoy sex with a large shapely woman, are men largely to blame for the so called beauty standards in the media that women find damaging to their self-esteem? If anything, I think fat guys have it worse.

I don't think I'm alone here but I find this picture below of a Miss England finalist extremely attractive.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh yeah, i definitely like a

oh yeah, i definitely like a woman with curves and i would probably flirt heavily with the girl in the picture, though she has a bit too much cellulite for my taste--i'm a sucker for smooth, fair skin.  one of the girls i had sort of a fling with in college was my ideal: she was a basketball player, athletic, muscular, and definitely not boney.  too bad she was dumb as a brick, and a fundie christian to boot, but hoo-boy, we had some nights (she obviously wasn't that fundie).

when describing my taste in women, i always used to couch it in evolutionary terms: it seems to be an instinctive drive, in me at least, not to want a woman who looks like she'll definitely have to have a caesarian.

99% of the fashion model "ideal" women i would never have looked twice at in my single years.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think individual tastes

I think individual tastes play as big a role with women as with men. I am pretty picky with women, and prefer very slender, tall supermodel-type women. Well... I'm very much in love at the moment, so really I just prefer her, but she's tall and slender so... Anyway, I've always been picky, and I've had friends who where the same, and friends who weren't, or who were, but about different types of women (like your miss Britian finalist there).

I'm pretty skinny, and yet have gotten attention from a variety of different women. Some have looked past my skinyness, because of other features that attracted them, like my musicality, or my intellect, while others have found my skinny, slightly femine body features positively attractive. My ex-girlfriend made a point of saying she found my body very attractive. (I think my current gf likes my butt, but might like a bit more muscle on me... I'm working on it).

Then I've had fairly fat friends, who didn't have any problems getting girls. Because some girls would look past the fatness, to other features, and still others would actually like a big bear of a guy.

So I think men and women are equally good at choosing the "fat" ones of the opposite sex. Some positively like it, and some don't consider it an important feature, but look to other things, and some will choose not to be with the person because of the fat. I think you are just seeing a discrimination in women towards fat men, because you've experienced that personally.

When I was a teenager I was sure women would choose "big" guys, over me, regardless of wether they were buff or just fat. From my own personal experience women would have no problem being with a fat guy, they'd get almost as much action as the buff guys. It was the skinny guys and the fat girls that would get little or no action. I new few guys like you who prefered a little "junk-in-the-trunk". Matter of fact I still don't know many guys like that, but I know they are out there. Just haven't met many myself.

So if I were to speak purely from personal experience the reverse of your OP observartions are in fact true. That's why anecdotal evidence is such a minefield.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
I for one do not like heavy

I for one do not like heavy women, nor do I like stick thin model types. In fact, my tastes are so selective as to bite me in the ass at times. I decided at one point that BBW had to mean big bloated wildebeest, as I was unable so see anything vaguely resembling attractiveness in some bearing the BBW title. I have even wondered if men finding them attractive suffered from low self esteem, thinking themselves unable to find an attractive mate. Before attacking my musings on the matter, take in mind that I have also wondered if men finding skinny, shapeless women attractive were  homosexuals in denial that sought out females that fit their taste in thin, breastless men.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not into the BBW thing,

I'm not into the BBW thing, and I don't find the woman pictured to be attractive. I have however been attracted to women who were slightly over weight, and before anyone says it I know it's a subjective term. I tend to pursue women who are short and skinny. Having said that I think it should be very obvious by reading this post that different qualities attract different people. The reason the media is the way it is, is because that is the general consensus on what beauty is. That includes women too, they can be every bit as hard on an over weight woman as men can.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okham's Razor."Why are fat

Okham's Razor.

"Why are     women more attractive than     men?"

Because I find them to be so.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 You sons of bitches, the

You sons of bitches, the gay chubby dating ad is back now.  Motherfuckers, when are going to learn?

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it's a little

I think it's a little shallow to judge people by their weight. That chick in the picture might be the bee's knees for all you know.  On the other hand you might be thrifty and unwilling to pay for all the meals that broad is going to eat. I don't know. There are lots of things to consider.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote: You

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

You sons of bitches, the gay chubby dating ad is back now.  Motherfuckers, when are going to learn?

LMAO. You're right. There's a gay chubby ad.

The question is....

Why did you notice it first?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just to show how I can get

Just to show how I can get with the politically correct program, I've created a small list of BBW pick up lines and compliments.

" I am attracted to you in the way that Skylab was attracted to the Earth. "

" Have I ever told you how sexy I find Jabba the Hutt? "

" That rippled, cottage cheese texture of your skin really turns me on. "

" The way you break into a sweat and develop dyspnea from walking across the room is sooooo hot! "

" I just love the way that you thumb your nose at your health. "

" Oh, dayum, girl! You make that circus tent you're wearin' look sexy! "

" Do you have a thyroid problem, or are you happy to see me? "

" I remember when I first saw you, stuck in that checkout aisle. How I wished it was me pouring baby oil on you to get you unstuck! "

" Can I buy you a drink? Say a bottle of syrup with a salt lick on the side? "

" I like the way your ass and thighs keep dancing 5 minutes after the song is over. "

" Mmmmmm! An ass like twin beer kegs, and I got the tap! "

See what a warm, sensitive guy I can be? PC has really made me a better person!

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

robert0259
User is offlineOffline
That picture is fake..no?

That head is too small for the body...it was created with Photoshop..yes/no?

I don't know if I'm among a minority of men (and I bet you I'm not) but I find women of different body shapes physically attractive. But a common theme is a low waist-hip ratio and a pretty face (ie. in keeping with my evolutionary bound reproductive predispositions). IMO, most women fit this description.

But is the converse at all true? Do women find the guy with central obesity (ie. fat mainly in the gut) sexually attractive?

This also begs another question. Given that there are a significant number of men who would enjoy sex with a large shapely woman, are men largely to blame for the so called beauty standards in the media that women find damaging to their self-esteem? If anything, I think fat guys have it worse.

I don't think I'm alone here but I find this picture below of a Miss England finalist extremely attractive.

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
No comment on most of the

No comment on most of the post, as I find both stick figure and overly heavy women to be somewhat unattractive(I do find that personality and mutual interests are more important to a relationship, so the physical aspect is only part of the picture). I do have to point this out:

ragdish wrote:

This also begs another question.

No, it does not beg a question. It RAISES a question. Not trying to be snarky, but misuse of "begs the question" just grates on me, like fingernails on a chalkboard.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:Okham's

darth_josh wrote:

Okham's Razor.

"Why are     women more attractive than     men?"

Because I find them to be so.

When I first read that I thought the spaces where where one was meant to slash (rather than what you were removing).  "Why are men?  Huh?  That makes no sense."

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Badbark
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote: You

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Firefox with Adblock plus addon installed will save you.

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865