I can has cheezberger (humour)

Scyth3s
Scyth3s's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can has cheezberger (humour)

On the way to New Market (Vocational Skills Center that I split time between with my local high school), I got into one of the stupidest debates ever.

Silas and I had both seen a video in class where a cat is in a 2d room with cheezbergers (like cheeseburgers, but less real and more 2-dimensional) floating and bouncing off walls. The cat says "I can has cheezberger." There was no punctuation mark, as the words were spoke, which is where the debate comes in.

Silas argued that "I can has cheezberger" is a question, arguing that because the cheezbergers were not in its possession, it could not be saying it already has them.

I argued that "I can has cheezberger" is a statement, based on the logic that no other "responsive" entities were around to ask. The cat was simply stating that it could eat a cheezberger.

What do you guys think? I wish I could show you the video, because it was quite funny, but it was made by a classmate and I'm not sure I can view it outside of class -_-

View my Atheist blog, shared with two friends!

www.faithistheenemy.blogspot.com -Daniel the "Scientist"

Scyth3s
Scyth3s's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I say "what do you guys

When I say "what do you guys think," I'm asking if you think its a question or a statement.

View my Atheist blog, shared with two friends!

www.faithistheenemy.blogspot.com -Daniel the "Scientist"

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
try this

Scyth3s wrote:

When I say "what do you guys think," I'm asking if you think its a question or a statement.

Eather way it is piss pour english.

Is it a question or statement?  It can be eather, it depends only on the inflection of the voice, I didn't see or hear the video.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
If the words were spoken,

If the words were spoken, then wouldn't you be able to tell by the tone of the voice?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

pablotar
pablotar's picture
User is offlineOffline
 look

look here:

http://icanhascheezburger.com/

All will be revealed...

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
i can has cheezburger is a

i can has cheezburger is a question. In fact, the original 4chan meme was "i can has cheezburger plz" which is obviously a question.

I hate it when 4chan memes explode and then there are people who have no idea what 4chan is are quoting it and saying that they found it on ebaums world.

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
SUP DAWG, WE HEARD YOU LIKE

SUP DAWG, WE HEARD YOU LIKE TO FAIL, SO WE MADE YOU DIS THREAD

It's a question. And I urge people not to go to 4chan. If you do you'll never leave...

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
It is a sign as revealed by

It is a sign as revealed by Ceiling Cat.. that you have far too much free time.

But Basement Cat loves you, idle hands are the devils claws you know.

To go beyond your limits you must first find them.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's a question, like

It's a question, like Zymotic has confirmed.  In fact, there's a linguistic reason it's a question, even if it's a rhetorical one(you're logic doesn't work; the lolcat can respond to itself).  Lolcat grammar often takes the form of english with oddly conjugated verbs, a disregard for syntax and completely lacking particles.  'I can has cheezburger' is most likely a question because of the form it takes compared to other Lolcat 'phrases'.  There's more reasons than just that, but I think it's pretty clear.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote: Lolcat

Thomathy wrote:

Lolcat grammar often takes the form of english with oddly conjugated verbs, a disregard for syntax and completely lacking particles.  'I can has cheezburger' is most likely a question because of the form it takes compared to other Lolcat 'phrases'.

So being the linguist that you are, why would "I has can cheezburger" not be correct in lolcat? Presumably the strange placement of the auxiliary verb? Or is it that English word order is preserved in lolcat? (Cf. "I has can", making "can" a noun, or "I can cheezburger, u arnt" which is presumably nonsensical.)

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Really, the question of what

Really, the question of what punctuation the sentence should end in is simple. It should end in an ellipsis, as it's obvious the cat will have much more to say on the subject of canning and hasing cheeseburgers.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

pablotar
pablotar's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Thomathy

HisWillness wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

Lolcat grammar often takes the form of english with oddly conjugated verbs, a disregard for syntax and completely lacking particles.  'I can has cheezburger' is most likely a question because of the form it takes compared to other Lolcat 'phrases'.

So being the linguist that you are, why would "I has can cheezburger" not be correct in lolcat? Presumably the strange placement of the auxiliary verb? Or is it that English word order is preserved in lolcat? (Cf. "I has can", making "can" a noun, or "I can cheezburger, u arnt" which is presumably nonsensical.)

nonsensicat?

Eden had a 25% murder rate and incest was rampant.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline

HisWillness wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

So being the linguist that you are, why would "I has can cheezburger" not be correct in lolcat?

No, it is correct in Lolcat, I'm merely pointing out what it likely means in English.

Quote:
Presumably the strange placement of the auxiliary verb? Or is it that English word order is preserved in lolcat? (Cf. "I has can", making "can" a noun, or "I can cheezburger, u arnt" which is presumably nonsensical.)
Well, as I explained, English syntax (word order) is thrown out the window in Lolcat, but that doesn't make the 'intended' syntax ('intended' because, presumably, people are supposed to understand Lolcat) indescernible.  It follows the form Lolcat phrases take.  Also, 'I can has cheezburger' is very similar in form to a common error made by English as a second language learners.

Umm... in the case of 'I can cheezburger, u arnt' I can tell you the corruption is more complex.  Then again, it may very well be intended to be nonsense.  Afterall, Lolcat has come into the mainstream and who knows if the original 'rules' for 'corrupting' English are preserved? (Rhetorical, they probably aren't.)

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Really, the

JillSwift wrote:

Really, the question of what punctuation the sentence should end in is simple. It should end in an ellipsis, as it's obvious the cat will have much more to say on the subject of canning and hasing cheeseburgers.

The cat in question clearly desires said cheezburgers, or it wouldn't have brought it up in the first place. But can cat has more 2 say? Cat bearly noes speaking. 

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Afterall,

Thomathy wrote:

Afterall, Lolcat has come into the mainstream and who knows if the original 'rules' for 'corrupting' English are preserved? (Rhetorical, they probably aren't.)

I love that you answered the question seriously. Love it. You can has all cheezburger.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:The cat in

HisWillness wrote:
The cat in question clearly desires said cheezburgers, or it wouldn't have brought it up in the first place. But can cat has more 2 say? Cat bearly noes speaking. 
As has been demonstrated on these very forums innumerable times, folks who which to blather on about thier less than brilliant ideas are in no way hindered by thier near inability to use the English language.

or: Kitteh noes need gud speekins to eloosidayt on subjekt ofs cheezeburgerz.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
Schrodinger invented a box

Schrodinger invented a box for disposing of incoherent, English abusing cats. I like to call it the Felinal Solution.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Desdenova wrote:Schrodinger

Desdenova wrote:
Schrodinger invented a box for disposing of incoherent, English abusing cats. I like to call it the Felinal Solution.
Maybe.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://lolcode.com/

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Desdenova

JillSwift wrote:

Desdenova wrote:
Maybe.

Oh, it always gets rid of them. They may be dead, they may be alive, but either way I don't have to listen to them. I also suspect that if you leave the cat in the box long enough, the probability of death equals 100% regardless of the state of subatomic particles. This is greatly expedited by making the box airtight.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Desdenova wrote:Oh, it

Desdenova wrote:
Oh, it always gets rid of them. They may be dead, they may be alive, but either way I don't have to listen to them. I also suspect that if you leave the cat in the box long enough, the probability of death equals 100% regardless of the state of subatomic particles. This is greatly expedited by making the box airtight.
That particular technique might just predate ol' Erwin.

Which reminds me:

One day Erwin Schrödinger and Werner Heisenberg went for a Sunday morning drive. They got talking about their favorite subject and Heisenberg lost track of his speed, and they were pulled over by a traffic cop.

The cop swaggers over to the driver's window and asks Heisenberg; "Do you know how fast you were going?"

Heisenberg glances up at a crossroads sign and answers: "No, but I know exactly where I am."

The cop huffily returns to his patrol car to check their registration and insurance. Heisenberg turns to Schrödinger and asks; "You think he'll give me a ticket?"

Schrödinger shrugs and answers; "Yes and no."

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline

HisWillness wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

Afterall, Lolcat has come into the mainstream and who knows if the original 'rules' for 'corrupting' English are preserved? (Rhetorical, they probably aren't.)

I love that you answered the question seriously. Love it. You can has all cheezburger.

:P  (Really!)

BigUniverse wrote,

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

http://lolcode.com/

I LOL'd so hard. It's the combination of two things I love... lolcats and programming.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace