Affirmative action/Race Questions

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Affirmative action/Race Questions

It's reverse racism to ask for someone's race on a questionnaire unless one is studying something relevant to "race".  College admissions use this bullshit to get more minorities into schools so they can brag about their "diversity". It's just pathetic. People are not defined by their origin, and it all reminds me of the polygenism and craniometry studies they used to conduct in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Outside of our minds, race doesn't exist. It's just genetic similarities of people from a certain location, but what does it have to do with working or going to school? The more we fuel this erroneous classification, the further we are accepting it in other aspects of our culture and lives.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Quote:If

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

If you wish to claim that we humans are too genetically similar to differentiate genetically, you must take into account that there is an 8% genetic difference between races. We find at most a 30% discrepancy in gene differentiation between humans and chimpanzees.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If you took two humans at random, you would find they differed in approximately 2 nucleotides in every thousand. The generally accepted value for the genetic difference between humans and chimpanzees is 98%.

Sorry about the delay. Consumermas is busy here, especially when only the heathens are willing to provide health care.

the 0.1% difference is derived from using two individuals where 1 base in every 1,000 is different, for a total of roughly 3,000,000 base differences between individuals. The 6% difference is based on inherited haplotype clusters and represent gene blocks that are inherited as a unit, and is taken directly from Lewontin's The apportionment of human diversity, Evolutionary Biology, vol 6. My apology for not making ths clear.

Single nucleotide polymorphisms account for a 24.2% difference between humans and chimpanzees, variation in copy number of large segments of similar DNA sequence adds another 2.7% difference, and indels make up another 3%, for a total of 29.9% difference between humans and chimps, at least according to The Chimpanzee Sequencing and Analysis Consortium. I rounded up to 30% for aesthetics, adding " at most " to keep it casual.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v437/n7055/full/nature04072.html

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.