Blasphemy Challenge & BBC's Apparitions

Sadzaeater
Sadzaeater's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blasphemy Challenge & BBC's Apparitions

New(ish) drama called Apparitions has been showing on the BBC for a few weeks. Episode 1 is based upon an exorcism. The Blasphemy Challenge gets an honourable mention with the posessed character posting a denial of the Holy Spirit on a website in return for a free DVD that proves god does not exist.

Amusing, but potentially reinforcing the sometime belief of conservative christians that we atheist are evil.

These things take a few months to make it onto BBC America, but keep an eye out.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Was it treated as a joke or

Was it treated as a joke or what? I'll look for it on torrent sites to try to watch. Hey, being part of the popular culture is good publicity.

OK I found it. Downloading that 1st episode out of curiousity.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Interesting. Paused about 20

Interesting. Paused about 20 mins through so far. The devil killed mother Theresa. After the little girl shows the Catholic priest her dad's copies of "God is Not Great" and "The God Delusion" he mentions he read them both himself!

Oh, and the punk song was cool! Is it a real song?

"So he got himself crucified! So he took a walk across the sea! "

I seen the whole thing now and didn't notice a blasphemy challenge. I do hope it's a poe though - the gay Indian guy was cured by Satan not God - he can't be a priest and because he's gay it was Satan that cured him. What the Fuck?????

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Sadzaeater
Sadzaeater's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Music, I think, is from

Music, I think, is from Jerry Springer, The Opera. The Blasphemy Challenge bit is right at the beginning of that sequence.

Have thought about this some. The writing is very clever. The posessed atheist has apparently been an atheist for a while, but only became posessed when baptised (at Mother Teresa's mission). Idea being that baptism is a form of exorcism and exorcism without faith on the part of the individual being exorcised does nothing - it leaves a void. No idea if this is actually part of Catholic dogma or not.

It seems crafted to leave christians and more agnostic "spiritual but not religious" types to think that atheists are incorrect in their lack of belief.

I found it quite entertaining in the same way that I find the new Dr Who entertaining; as fiction set in a world that has an unfeasible backstory and relies upon that backstory to be entertaining. Only difference being that the backstory to Dr Who has been developed and reshaped over the course of 50 or 60 years, and that of Apparitions over the course of a few thousand.

Stop that... It's silly.

Sadzaeater
Sadzaeater's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, so I just caught up to

OK, so I just caught up to the latest episode of this. 

It's certainly entertaining. Whilst the occasional dig at atheism makes me want to flip the writers off on one level, I have to say that they spin a good yarn. 

Stop that... It's silly.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sadzaeater wrote: New(ish)

Sadzaeater wrote:

New(ish) drama called Apparitions has been showing on the BBC for a few weeks. Episode 1 is based upon an exorcism. The Blasphemy Challenge gets an honourable mention with the posessed character posting a denial of the Holy Spirit on a website in return for a free DVD that proves god does not exist.

Amusing, but potentially reinforcing the sometime belief of conservative christians that we atheist are evil.

These things take a few months to make it onto BBC America, but keep an eye out.

I can't find it in the US and no one appears to have put it out as a torrent so I can't comment on the content.

But I think it is a great idea IF it is done properly. By properly I mean it is dirt cheap and suitable for the retarded to make movies with computers these days. If there is any basis for the reports of pea soup and levitation then there is absolutely no excuse for not documenting it.

At least that is what I posted to a guy trying to get me to read books about possession and it shut him up.

I wish the mere statement of a requirement for physical evidence before reading anything would work on the OT believers on this board.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Look

MOD EDIT:

Linking to torrents is not advisable as the RIAA and MPAA tend to crack down on it. Additionally, it violates the terms of use agreement.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Err, Matt, linking to a

Err, Matt, linking to a torrent site isn't exactly the smartest thing to do.  Many websites that contain links like that have been shut down. 

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The RIAA and MPAA need to be

The RIAA and MPAA need to be destroyed.

All the members of these organizations need to be dealt with in ways I'm no longer allowed to talk about due to the takeover of this site by fascists and the idea of intellectual property needs to be eliminated. There's no way I'm paying for seeing a movie/listening to music/playing a game any time in the forseeable future. The man can suck my balls and anything I can do to make sure they make less money I will do.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
First.. Fuck people who

First.. Fuck people who think they're entitled to creative content for free.   I'm not buying the political stand on it.  It's an excuse because you're cheap (and probably lazy), and you figure it's super easy to do and no one will ever get caught.  

That aside (which right now isn't the point,) this has more to do with putting the RRS at risk.  If they allowed people to post directly to torrent rips, they'd be responsible and would expose them to legal risk.  All you need is some group to complain and they could be easily sued for more money than they have.  So in this case when you're doing the "fuck the man" routine, it's really just the owners of this site and shows no gratitude for the service they're providing you/us.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote:First..

stuntgibbon wrote:

First.. Fuck people who think they're entitled to creative content for free.   I'm not buying the political stand on it.  It's an excuse because you're cheap (and probably lazy), and you figure it's super easy to do and no one will ever get caught.  

That aside (which right now isn't the point,) this has more to do with putting the RRS at risk.  If they allowed people to post directly to torrent rips, they'd be responsible and would expose them to legal risk.  All you need is some group to complain and they could be easily sued for more money than they have.  So in this case when you're doing the "fuck the man" routine, it's really just the owners of this site and shows no gratitude for the service they're providing you/us.

The general argument against people wanting to get "creative content for free", is perfectly legitimate in general, but it doesn't quite apply here, because if you were in the UK you could watch all episodes of this program for free, courtesy of the BBC. The restriction in this case is due to "Rights agreements".

Restrictions like this which do not directly affect payment for content, also like region-coding of DVD's, and overly intrusive DRM, are the sort of thing which further motivates people to seek out methods of bypassing them, which ultimately is likely to be counter-productive and make it more likely that people will have the means to watch 'paid content' for free as well.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 If only that were his

If only that were his argument, Bob.  

Quote:
 There's no way I'm paying for seeing a movie/listening to music/playing a game any time in the forseeable future.

Was more specifically what I responding to. (and putting the site at risk)

I see boards all the time where people mention downloading stuff, but linking to it directly is the issue here.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
People steal music/film

People steal music/film because there is zero chance of getting caught, there really is no justification for it bar everyone else is doing it (which to be honest can be a very strong justification).

I suppose stealing BBC stuff is stealing from the British tax payer (me), not going to get to high and mighty about it as I pirate enough myself but I'm not silly enough to morally justify it

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
And all the other torrent folks

MattShizzle wrote:

MOD EDIT:

Linking to torrents is not advisable as the RIAA and MPAA tend to crack down on it. Additionally, it violates the terms of use agreement.

I have no intention of getting into the issue as it gets people on their moral high horses. Suffice to say TV torrents are exactly what one could get off the air. The only rational objection to a TV torrent is the manner in which one receives it. RIAA is music and MPAA is movies. I have never heard of single case regarding TV even though there is a market for DVDs of TV series.

Granted I can't get Brit TV stations but so what? It is not like their advertisers are losing business if I get it without commercials. I don't like take away curry anyway.

OTOH, one of these days a US cable channel is going to buy the six episode Jekyll miniseries and the BBC should pay me something for hyping it as the best TV dramatic series I have ever seen and I have been watch TV since the late 40s.

Getting anything else is hardly worth it. If a series is good it gets rerun until you memorize it. Home burned disks last maybe 4 to 5 years. It takes that long to forget a series before watching it again. (Anyone going to rerun Vengence Inc. some time soon?) So if that is the idea then you buy the stamped DVDs which are good for 50 years and more.

I guess all that explains why there are no complaints about TV.

As for movies half the complaints I have read are about pirate DVDS which are cases, printing, liners and everything to the point of counterfeit. The other half have been of cameras in the theaters. Given the small fraction of good movies to duds I presume they are against it because they warn people off of seeing duds. But watching the box office returns people seem to know a dud in 24 hours which is far short of the time any camera-in-the-theater copy can spread.

I do not like today's music and haven't since Jerry Lee got screwed and Hollywood made rock wholesome. But if music is anything like the movies it is likely the same reason.

So not only am I not encouraging anyone to break the law I am giving several reasons not to waste your time.

But for those encouraged to break the law, here is a hint, it is civil law not criminal law save when it comes to counterfeiting as described above. Barrotry is a legitimate countersuit. (check the spelling on that one)

=====

Here is a little secret knowledge. All the sleeper hit movies come out in February. Why? Because that is the month they release all the movies they expect to be duds. So any of them that make significantly more than expected are hyped as sleeper hits. Anyone who has watched The Blair Witch Project after the hype died down knows it is all hype.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Regarding torrent websites

thingy wrote:

Err, Matt, linking to a torrent site isn't exactly the smartest thing to do.  Many websites that contain links like that have been shut down. 

http://thepiratebay.org/legal

This website is best known for telling the MPAA and RIAA to bugger off and giving the reasons why. The blue stuff below are links to correspondence on their website. With the US RICO and conspiracy laws (the latter are unique to the US) this website might be shut down if operating in the US or by US citizens. In the rational world it is not clear how to shut down a torrent announcement website.

I am not encouraging anything here merely passing on a source of raucous near adolescent humor in dealing with the Hollywood stuffed shirts.

Legal threats against The Pirate Bay

Microsoft: email (we get tons of these)

Mono Music: email (swedish)

DreamWorks: email our response

EA: email our response

Uppsala universitet: emails our response mail exchange back and forth final mail (they also called the phone# in whois) (swedish)

ADV Films: email our response

Sublimal Sounds: email our response 2nd mail and response

SEGA: email our response 2nd mail 3rd mail and response

Sveriges Radio: email our response (swedish)

Peter Pehrson - enya.com / Warner Music: email our response

Apple: email our response

White Stripes / WEB SHERIFF: email our response 2nd mail and response our fax (invoice) 3rd mail attached document We tell Faxxsheriff about our new site 4th mail our response

Warner Bros / Billy Corgan / GrayZone Inc: email our response

Warner Bros / Disturbed / GrayZone Inc: email our response 2nd email and response

iRacing: letter (yes, they sent us a PDF) our response (the actual response was a 1MB BMP file, but well...)

Andrew Rabbitt / Rabbit Valley Comics: email our response 2nd email

Linotype: postal mail (1 2) our response (1 2)

Prophecy House: email and our response (he also called us, talking about the antichrist)

MPAA / Hollywood / Swedish goverment / a lot of people (2006-05-31): MPAA press release our comment
Most of you probably know of the big raid of 2006-05-31. Some day we will write a separate page about all the events. Look at the documentary Steal This Film for more information.

Indiana Gregg (Gr8pop ltd) (2008-06-22): email and response, 2nd email and response, 3rd email and response, 4th (sic!) email and response

No action (except ridiculing the senders) has been taken by us because of these. Smiling

Nice graphs for the law firms who don't get the hint above:

(we used to have a nice graph here, but it's simpler to just say: 0 torrents has been removed, and 0 torrents will ever be removed.)

www.ussliberty.org

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

This website is best known for telling the MPAA and RIAA to bugger off and giving the reasons why. The blue stuff below are links to correspondence on their website. With the US RICO and conspiracy laws (the latter are unique to the US) this website might be shut down if operating in the US or by US citizens. In the rational world it is not clear how to shut down a torrent announcement website.

I am not encouraging anything here merely passing on a source of raucous near adolescent humor in dealing with the Hollywood stuffed shirts.

The only reason they've gotten away with it is due to where their hosting is and who they are, just as it says in their statement "this website might be shut down if operating in the US or by US citizens".  The RRS website is both, hence we have to cover our arses here, hence why I say it's not exactly the smartest thing to do.  Our liking of takedowns for torrent tracker hosting and/or linking, our thoughts on these actions, our thoughts on the legalities of these actions etc is all irrelivant.  I myself usually refer to them as the MAFIAA for that very reason, to my observation their actions are nothing more than extortion and running of a protection racket.  For our situation though, arses must be covered and a strict "don't even think about it" rule must apply.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:People steal

mrjonno wrote:

People steal music/film because there is zero chance of getting caught, there really is no justification for it bar everyone else is doing it (which to be honest can be a very strong justification).

I suppose stealing BBC stuff is stealing from the British tax payer (me), not going to get to high and mighty about it as I pirate enough myself but I'm not silly enough to morally justify it

You got me to rethink my last. Jekyll did run on cable on BBCAM. It runs commercials. I only saw two eps on it but because it ran in 60 minutes the commercials cost 8-10 minutes of program. That is very bad on a series that so tightly interwoven that I can re-watch it and see new things in ep 1 that are referred to in ep 6.

So while thinking about it, no can can possibly be stealing from the British tax payer. They can only be stealing from the subset that pays the telly tax. As the legal fiction insists the BBC is wholly supported by those taxes only the BBC not the Crown would have legal standing. However in the US one must show damages and losses. As the BBC productions are legally completely covered by the telly tax they cannot be suffering a loss as other markets cannot be included on their balance sheet.

Thus only BBC American which owns BBCAM can claim a loss. However copies from BBC are not copies from BBCAM and thus that latter suffers no loss. If BBCAM has a problem it is with the Beeb itself.

www.ussliberty.org

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:A_Nony_Mouse

thingy wrote:

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

The only reason they've gotten away with it is due to where their hosting is and who they are, just as it says in their statement "this website might be shut down if operating in the US or by US citizens".  The RRS website is both, hence we have to cover our arses here, hence why I say it's not exactly the smartest thing to do.  Our liking of takedowns for torrent tracker hosting and/or linking, our thoughts on these actions, our thoughts on the legalities of these actions etc is all irrelivant.  I myself usually refer to them as the MAFIAA for that very reason, to my observation their actions are nothing more than extortion and running of a protection racket.  For our situation though, arses must be covered and a strict "don't even think about it" rule must apply.

It is not a secret the US has the best legislature money can buy. It could run afoul of laws which make facilitating a crime also a crime. Almost none of those prosecutions have succeeded and are usually won on 1st amendment grounds. The Anarchist's Cookbook is still around despite regular attempts to criminalize its publication and promulgation. The US tradition of winning by legal costs is one that needs to be stopped with countersuits that the original suit was for profit not equity.

I see no legal grounds for shutting down a website that does not in fact contain or spread and copyrighted material. I do not see it much different from advertising theaters and show times for the same material. It is simply telling where to "see" the material.

At the other end of the spectrum is Project Gutenberg which deals solely in material which was never copyrighted or for which any copyright it may have once had has expired.

Although we all "know" what they are doing that is insufficient for legal knowledge which can be established in court. For example Michael Moore announced his Slacker Nation was for free and encouraged people to copy and spread it. The next day someone piped up claiming to own the non-US rights. So Americans can spread it to non-Americans but non-Americans cannot spread it to other non-Americans? I have no idea. I am not an expert in copyright law.

Which leads to the ultimate issue. Unless a person has a law degree and has specialized in both statute and case law he cannot claim to know a damned thing about the subject.

Three Oscar seasons ago contenders were giving away copies of movies to Academy voters and were complaining that they were being spread on the internet. That is a whole new layer of legalisms. Who speaks for control of a movie and is only the first violator responsible or is everyone who participates even without legal knowledge of its status?

Is a movie of a movie a copy of a movie? No. Who owns the movie of the movie? The person who made it of course. Did he make it illegally? That depends upon the laws of the state or country in which is was made and they are all different.

Most DVDs for sale give a reason to buy them, the extras. When there are no extras reviewers consider it a negative.

Other than actual counterfeiting of DVDs it is not clear how copies of movies actually harm anyone. No harm then nothing to sue for. Way back when it was VCR tapes for copying it was a social event where another couple brought over their VCR to dupe rented tapes. Very few people did it but Hollywood still tried to make it illegal even though it qualified as a personal copy and the rental company was the only loser.

When it comes to music I have no opinion as I have not thought about it.

www.ussliberty.org

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sadzaeater wrote: New(ish)

Sadzaeater wrote:

I found ep 6. This ep is an enjoyable if stereotypical approach. The approach is to take a mess of ideas from Dark Ages and early Medieval times, meld them into a demonology which is assumed to be consistent and play it against a modern scientific approach demonstrated by questioning, skepticism and lack of belief.

In the example you give the modern approach of "it is only words" turns out that words have power moderns do not comprehend. (Humans and their word magic!)

Ep 6 leads up to more word magic, prayers, to win out in the end. The writing quality is high so the dramatic portrayal is entertaining. It is up to the conceptual level of Joss Whedon's Buffy/Angel universe. Blasphemy having consequence assumes words have powers that can and do invoke actions from gods and demons alike. Thus the unsuspecting person is drawn into invoking these powers with words.

The imagined demonology pulls in incantations (without the ceremonies), denial of doctrine in place of "name of the lord in vain" and temptation for a small reward. The latter is a variation on making a deal with the devil where the devil is always a trickster giving something trivial for a soul and then taking back even the trivial. Djinn do the same thing in Islam. Your ep 1 description is these pieces of three different things to make a situation and makes unintentional sins equal to intentional sins do to the power of words themselves. That is a peasant ritual/taboo version of Christianity.

Also I note this is Roman Catholicism which all good members of the CoE know is in league with Satan so it fits into a simplistic, sensationalized view of the Reformation which suits the Brits quite well.

www.ussliberty.org

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Here's a fun bit of

Here's a fun bit of dialogue from the last episode :

Nun : "Are you an atheist ?"

Psychologist : "Yes"

Nun : "That won't save you"

The nun, of course, is one of the good guys, burdened with the unthankful task of protecting us gullible unbelievers from the scary demons.

This would be enjoyable to watch if it didn't take itself so unrelentingly seriously. It's actually listed as a "drama" in my tv-guide. That's kinda like calling Doctor Who a history program.

They had another show like this on the beeb a few years ago. It was called "Strange", I think, and that one, at least, was mildly amusing.