Debating/Discussing Anglo-Saxton Heathanism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Debating/Discussing Anglo-Saxton Heathanism

Ciarin, we can continue our discourse here.

Now then:

You've explained that you believe that your deities (I'll be referring to them by their original Norse titles - I'm aware you disagree, but frankly, I don't really care) control natural phenomena, and are literally existent entities. Thor, for example, commands thunder and lightning.

What evidence do you have to substantiate this claim?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
as far as mythologies anyone

as far as mythologies anyone actually cares about or ever cared about go, i think brahman trumps all the deities, including the hebrew god, considering brahman is everything.

galacticus could definitely kick some ass too.  what about infinity gauntlet mythos, guys?  my personal favorite imaginary badass was always THANOS.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
then there's thanos's DC

then there's thanos's DC counterpart, darkseid.  he's pretty badass too, but i was always WAY more into marvel than DC as a kid (there were actually wars over which was better in my middle school--i was fanatically in the marvel camp), so i don't know so much about him.

i recall he and thanos faced off in the marvel vs. DC series, but i never saw who won, if either.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:cthulhu has the

iwbiek wrote:

cthulhu has the honor of being perhaps the most detailed of lovecraft's characters, but he was hardly the biggest baddie.  as far as i can remember, yog-sothoth, cthulhu, and nyarlathotep were the only old ones that made personal appearances in lovecraft's stories.  oh, and also the abbot of the monastery in leng made an appearance in "the dreamquest of unknown kadath."  i think shub-niggurath appeared as well, but shub-niggurath was originally robert bloch's creation.

Dagon/Daggoth made an appearance as well, although within the story it wasn't recognized as anymore more than a strange new (and temporary) island.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid