God & Homeland Security

Observer
Observer's picture
User is offlineOffline
God & Homeland Security

Thought this was interesting. What do you think?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,460889,00.html

FRANKFORT, Ky. —  A group of atheists filed a lawsuit Tuesday seeking to remove part of a state anti-terrorism law that requires Kentucky's Office of Homeland Security to acknowledge it can't keep the state safe without God's help.

American Atheists Inc. sued in state court over a 2002 law that stresses God's role in Kentucky's homeland security alongside the military, police agencies and health departments.

Of particular concern is a 2006 clause requiring the Office of Homeland Security to post a plaque that says the safety and security of the state "cannot be achieved apart from reliance upon almighty God" and to stress that fact through training and educational materials.

The plaque, posted at the Kentucky Emergency Operations Center in Frankfort, includes the Bible verse: "Except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain."

"It is one of the most egregiously and breathtakingly unconstitutional actions by a state legislature that I've ever seen," said Edwin F. Kagin, national legal director of Parsippany, N.J.-based American Atheists Inc. The group claims the law violates both the state and U.S. constitutions.

But Democratic state Rep. Tom Riner, a Baptist minister from Louisville, said he considers it vitally important to acknowledge God's role in protecting Kentucky and the nation.

"No government by itself can guarantee perfect security," Riner said. "There will always be this opposition to the acknowledgment of divine providence, but this is a foundational understanding of what America is."

Kentucky has been at the center of a series of legal battles involving religious issues in recent years, most involving displays of the Ten Commandments in public buildings. One case went to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled in 2005 that such displays inside courthouses in two counties were unconstitutional.

Kentucky isn't the only state dealing with religious issues, but Ed Buckner, president of American Atheists, said it's alone in officially enlisting God in homeland security.

"I'm not aware of any other state or commonwealth that

is attempting to dump their clear responsibility for protecting their citizens onto God or any other mythological creature," Buckner said.

State Rep. David Floyd, R-Bardstown, said the preamble to the Kentucky constitution references a people "grateful to almighty God," so he said he sees no constitutional violation in enlisting God in the state's homeland security efforts.

"God help us if we don't," he said.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Observer wrote: State Rep.

Observer wrote:

State Rep. David Floyd, R-Bardstown, said the preamble to the Kentucky constitution references a people "grateful to almighty God," so he said he sees no constitutional violation in enlisting God in the state's homeland security efforts.

that's fucking BULLSHIT and that goddamn dicksucking asshole knows it.

(consider that patriotic fury.)

as a high schooler, i took part in a model state legislature and supreme court in frankfort.  i was an associate justice in the model ky supreme court and we had to be VERY familiar with both the kentucky and the federal constitutions.  the kentucky constitution has almost the same proviso WORD-FOR-WORD against state endorsement of any religious dogma or tenet as the federal constitution.  one of the cases we had to hear was about putting up the ten commandments in schools and it got unanimously REAMED, even with the fine-print "secular application" bullshit tacked on.

this asshole knows goddamn good and well that flowery 18th century rhetoric in the preamble DOES NOT carry the force of a clear article or amendment.  FUCK YOU, FLOYD, AND QUIT TRYING TO HIGHJACK MY GODDAMN STATE!!!!!!!

even IF the ky constitution somehow supported such DISEASED BULL SMEGMA as this asshole is spewing, the federal constitution is QUITE CLEAR on such issues and the federal constitution IS THE SUPREME FUCKING LAW OF THE FUCKING LAND.

so once again, mr. floyd, you and mr. fletcher and mr. mcconnell and mr. riner and mr. forgey and all the FUCKWADS like you can go FUCK A GOAT UP THE ASS WITH YOUR HERPES-INFESTED, 2-INCH, SPAGHETTI-THIN DICKS.

thank you.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Observer

iwbiek wrote:

Observer wrote:

that's fucking BULLSHIT and that goddamn dicksucking asshole knows it.

(consider that patriotic fury.)

as a high schooler, i took part in a model state legislature and supreme court in frankfort.  i was an associate justice in the model ky supreme court and we had to be VERY familiar with both the kentucky and the federal constitutions.  the kentucky constitution has almost the same proviso WORD-FOR-WORD against state endorsement of any religious dogma or tenet as the federal constitution.  one of the cases we had to hear was about putting up the ten commandments in schools and it got unanimously REAMED, even with the fine-print "secular application" bullshit tacked on.

this asshole knows goddamn good and well that flowery 18th century rhetoric in the preamble DOES NOT carry the force of a clear article or amendment.  FUCK YOU, FLOYD, AND QUIT TRYING TO HIGHJACK MY GODDAMN STATE!!!!!!!

even IF the ky constitution somehow supported such DISEASED BULL SMEGMA as this asshole is spewing, the federal constitution is QUITE CLEAR on such issues and the federal constitution IS THE SUPREME FUCKING LAW OF THE FUCKING LAND.

so once again, mr. floyd, you and mr. fletcher and mr. mcconnell and mr. riner and mr. forgey and all the FUCKWADS like you can go FUCK A GOAT UP THE ASS WITH YOUR HERPES-INFESTED, 2-INCH, SPAGHETTI-THIN DICKS.

thank you.

It is bullshit that God is in our pledge and on our money, but that didn't stop it from happening. I agree it is unconstitutional, and the only way that they are going to be able to prove(it will go to the Supreme Court), but the only way this is going to get struck down is to show that favortism is being shown to Christianity.

It is unconstitutional via the First Amendment for government to favor one religion over another. I hope they bring up the Barbary Treaty, and "No Religious Test".

This is an ongoing, since the last of the Founders died(and all of them, the Christians amoungst them, the diests and agnostics of them, would object to the government being pee'd on like a lion peeing on a bush.

THIS IS OUR GOVERNMENT AND OUR CONSTITUTION TOO and we cannot allow theocrats to claim that they have sole rights to it and that no others are allowed to compete in politics.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Observer
Observer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the Reply

iwbiek

Thanks for the reply. I take it you are against those who have put such a theist emphasis on homeland security? Are you sure your frustration is not rooted in the beating Kentucky took from Tennessee last weekend? Ha ha ha. I am just kidding, I love the Wild Cats. Thanks for your reply, I am just wanting to see what people think about that issue. I was surprised that a the state has such a blatant endorsement of religion.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know what Racheal

I don't know what Racheal Maddow's religious beliefs are, but it seems our message as atheists is starting to come accross as it should, it is NOT an issue of outlawing a religion, but a demand for government neutrality.

Maddow mentioned this absurd plaque and saw it as frivolous and a needless waste of time.

OH AND on a related note, fundies blew a gasket when atheists put up their own display next to the nativity sceen at the U.S. capital. BUT what can they do, either the government lets it all in, or, like I think, keep displays neutral.

My point is, we are gaining, and for anyone who just jumped into the activitivist game, you don't know how far we have come. There is still alot we need to do as atheists AND theists who are secularists to reverse what the right wing has falsely sold our country.

I have seen where we were in 01 and where we are now. Keep it up everyone. Every post, every website, every activist counts.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog