Death of Anne Pressly

robert0259
Posts: 19
Joined: 2007-01-31
User is offlineOffline
Death of Anne Pressly

I saw where murdered TV newswoman Anne Pressly was a "good christian woman." She was brutally raped and had every bone in her face broken, good thing she was a christian; otherwise, Jesus would have allowed her to die a really horrific death.


robert0259
Posts: 19
Joined: 2007-01-31
User is offlineOffline
I guess I should have added to my original post

What I was trying to do with my original post was to get some information...how do the christians explain away why Jesus never steps up when one of the faithful is brutally murdered? When I ask one of them a question, I hear "free will"...what the heck is that? All the millions killed in the holocaust..where the fuck was Jesus?


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
You've keyed in on one

You've keyed in on one reason why we assert that religion is irrational.

When a christian says "Free Will" they mean that humans have the choice as to whether or not they disobey "god's word".

The problem is that they also assert that everything happens according to "god's plan".

The contradiction is apparent to us, but to them it makes perfect sense that their god can know what choice is going to be made prior to them making it. Thus some throw their hands up and let loose with the ultimate "It must be god's will!"

You and I, devoid of such ability to ignore reality, have to resort to tracing the cause of the event back to its actual precipitating factors; possibly finding similarities with ourselves or others.

It's a wonderful game of tit-for-tat. To ask them is to cause them to pause their belief for an instant to focus on reality and the situation as is. As soon as they realize what they are doing, they return to their disavowal of the situation.

The realization that "That could have been me!" is too much. To blame god is comfort.

Pity for them aside. It becomes unethical when they might have had something to do with a crime. Yet we watch as the brokeback evangelist tearfully admits that he failed god's tests of him only to make him a better person.

 

In this Pressly incident, the guy(Vance) if convicted will go to jail and embrace religion. He'll probably receive counseling too, but it won't count as much as his religious conviction (pun). He'll eventually get paroled and the reason will be a deeply religious experience in jail that helped him figure out the error of his ways.

Despite the fact that he knew what he was doing was wrong in the first place.

 

 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:In this Pressly

 

Quote:
In this Pressly incident, the guy(Vance) if convicted will go to jail and embrace religion. He'll probably receive counseling too, but it won't count as much as his religious conviction (pun). He'll eventually get paroled and the reason will be a deeply religious experience in jail that helped him figure out the error of his ways.

This seems like a mantra for me this week.  People who need religion to figure out morality are very, very scary.

 

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


robert0259
Posts: 19
Joined: 2007-01-31
User is offlineOffline
The reason I asked...part 2

I've been going to AA for about 3 years. Because of this, I come in close contact with mild to total religious nuts on a daily basis... During that time most of them have given up trying to brainwash me into accepting the "higher power."

"Turn your will and your life over to the care of god as you understand him"...or what? I'll relapse...BULLSHIT.

When I first went to AA,  I didn't have a stand on religion...I just didn't think about it one way or the other. Over time I've grown to realize I'm an ATHIEST. And proud to be one.

Rational Responders---thanks for being here.

 


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
robert0259 wrote:I've been

robert0259 wrote:

I've been going to AA for about 3 years. Because of this, I come in close contact with mild to total religious nuts on a daily basis... During that time most of them have given up trying to brainwash me into accepting the "higher power."

"Turn your will and your life over to the care of god as you understand him"...or what? I'll relapse...BULLSHIT.

When I first went to AA,  I didn't have a stand on religion...I just didn't think about it one way or the other. Over time I've grown to realize I'm an ATHIEST. And proud to be one.

Rational Responders---thanks for being here.

 

I can see why the 'free will' thing comes up.

If quitting drinking were done for god rather than for one's own health and welfare then I'm willing to bet none of those people would be at the meetings. Call me cynical, but the belief didn't help when it was supposed to in the first place and they don't rely on it now. Otherwise, they'd tell you to pray instead of calling the real life friend.

Glad to hear your making the effort. I haven't been drunk since 2005 and I gotta say I don't miss it. I think you picked a good place to visit to keep your mind busy. We'll keep you occupied with other stuff when you need it.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15833
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
robert0259 wrote:I saw where

robert0259 wrote:

I saw where murdered TV newswoman Anne Pressly was a "good christian woman." She was brutally raped and had every bone in her face broken, good thing she was a christian; otherwise, Jesus would have allowed her to die a really horrific death.

It was a test to her family, and God wanted her with him, and God wants her family and friends to worship him. What better way than to step aside and not protect her from such violence to get people to kiss your ass.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15833
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
With a track record like

With a track record like God's I wouldn't hire him to be my body guard, much less dog catcher.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
robert0259 wrote:I've been

robert0259 wrote:
I've been going to AA for about 3 years. Because of this, I come in close contact with mild to total religious nuts on a daily basis... During that time most of them have given up trying to brainwash me into accepting the "higher power."

I'm sure, then, that you understand the function of the "higher power" in AA, and how much drinking is a control issue. Once a person can admit that they do not have absolute control over their lives, they can be more forgiving of themselves. Unfortunately, for a lot of people, that means they have to believe in something big, strong, and imaginary to push out their negative self-talk.

You can do it without a higher power (I've heard) as long as the control issue is addressed.

Good for you, by the way. Even just trying to get away from the booze is an amazing step. I just went to my dad's 10 year celebration last year, and I can tell you from personal experience that more people are proud of you than you know.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
Posts: 1018
Joined: 2008-10-24
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:With a track

Brian37 wrote:

With a track record like God's I wouldn't hire him to be my body guard, much less dog catcher.

You can hire me. I have a substantialy higher protection rate than other gods. Anyone need a god for hire?

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace