Good guys win!!!!

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good guys win!!!!

Jim Flaherty: Retreat!? In our moment of triumph!? I think you overestimate their chances!

Stephan Dion: 'I've lost R2!'

Stephen Harper: 'I have you now!'

*Laser blast. TIE explodes*

Stephen Harper: '...WHAT!?'

Guilles Duceppe: 'YEE-HAW!'

Jack Layton: *Chewbacca howl*

Guilles Duceppe: 'You're all clear kid, now let's blow this thing and go home!'

Stephen Harper's arrogance and megalomania bit him right in the ass tonight, effectively torpedoing his entire party. In what can only be described as the most mind-blowingly ballsy and deft maneuver in quite some time in Canadian politics, Dion has formed a motherfucking coalition government, baby (creating the greatest triple-team leadership package since... ever) that will fucking blow the Goddamn conservatives and their cocky 'no confidence budget measure' out of the water on Monday - resulting in Dion replacing Mr. Bigoted Creationst Holocaust Denying Conspiracy-Railling Idiot.

WHO'S YOUR 'PUSSY' NOW, YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!?!?

Cheers!

The good guys don't win too many of 'em. But when they do, it's epic.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin, I'm celebrating with

Kevin, I'm celebrating with you... in spirit.

Now, I fully expect you to bend over, ass up and naked and/or say three times over that you're doom predictions of a Harper government were incorrect.  I think we both know what you ought to do.

WOO-HOO!

This is the most exciting thing in Canadian politics since... ever.  (Well, unless one counts any of the moments Jean Chrétien opened his mouth to say yet another quotable remark like, 'We hate the GST and we will kill it'.)

I'm so excited my pants are wet!  I'm sitting in a veritible pool of...

I only hope that this actually goes through.  It would be so wonderful!  OOOOO!!!!!

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:and/or say three times

Quote:
and/or say three times over that you're doom predictions of a Harper government were incorrect.  I think we both know what you ought to do.

Quite happy, on this occassion, to say that I was wrong. Big time wrong. Retardedly wrong.

The best part is that Harper has no move he can really make. Call another election? The Governor General would be more or less obligated by precedent to laugh in his face. Dissolve parliament until January? That will only pause the inevitable, as well as secure him a rather dreary place in political history.

He made too many enemies and not nearly enough friends. The only regrettable thing about this is that, since May lost her seat, she couldn't be a part of it. Ah well.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
We think different thoughts

We think different thoughts Kevin, but you're honorable.

Anyway, you're also right.  Harper has dug himself a hole.  A deep pit of refuse. -And oh, is that the dump truck I hear coming?

There's no way out for Harper now.  I'm actually a bit dumbfounded though.  He has been so savy and politically perfect, in all the important minority winning ways, how can he have fucked up so badly now?  Is it truly him or was it the caucus?  I'm not terribly interested in how the downfall came about, however. 

It's so exciting to think about how Canada will greet the new President of the United States with someone of intellectual equivalence (at least) and perhaps the best Government Canada has yet seen.  Perhaps this coalition, should it proceed, will set a precident for interparty relations and working together toward a functioning parliament in the future.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:It's so exciting to

Quote:
It's so exciting to think about how Canada will greet the new President of the United States with someone of intellectual equivalence (at least) and perhaps the best Government Canada has yet seen.  Perhaps this coalition, should it proceed, will set a precident for interparty relations and working together toward a functioning parliament in the future.

This is what really gets my fist pumping. Obama and Harper would not have gotten along, whereas I think Obama and Team Rock'n'Roll will get along famously. Smiling Tighter international relations are really necessary right now, considering the knife edge on which the world presently rests.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dont' agree at all

Why bother voting if the other parties will pull this stunt off. Canada voted conservative, all this can and will do is make voters turn against the three other parties, because there is only 2 things that can happen, election, or coalition take over, it all depends on what the GG decides to do, as she has all the power now on what happens. But in the end, this goes against the whole concept of voting. I personally do not want the liberals or the NDP or the Bloc quebecois in power as none of them had any good plans for the economy (actually none of them really had a good plan but the conservatives so far have kept the economy from going down the shit hole so far [except maybe in ontario]).

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Why bother voting if

Quote:
Why bother voting if the other parties will pull this stunt off

Answer: Your vote essentially goes toward seating an MP for the party you voted for.

Quote:
Canada voted conservative

No, it didn't. Do you even understand what happened?

Obviously not.

Harper had a minority government. That means that he did not get a majority of the seats; if he had, a Coalition would not have mattered. As it so happens, combined, the Liberals, NDP and Bloc had more votes than the Conservatives. Canada may have been split on which liberal-leaning party to vote for, but it still wanted a liberal party more than it wanted a Conservative one.

Quote:
But in the end, this goes against the whole concept of voting.

No, it does not, and I'll thank you to stop perpetuating nonsense.

Do the math yourself. Take a look at how many of the seats the Coalition represents and how many of the seats the Conservatives represent. Which is larger?

And why would you complain about all of the power it hands a 3rd, non-elected, party? I thought it was you harping along not so long ago about how wonderful it was that the Supreme Court was really the body in charge of the country?

Quote:
I personally do not want the liberals or the NDP or the Bloc quebecois in power as none of them had any good plans for the economy (actually none of them really had a good plan but the conservatives so far have kept the economy from going down the shit hole so far [except maybe in ontario]).

...Did yu even see the proposed Conservative 'plan'? Take money away from the parties. Yup. Instead of having an even, publicly funded race, we can have one run by lobbyists just like in the States! Oh, joy!

The Conservatives had no plan (aside maybe from praying to their deity), and the only reason we've likely performed so well in the west is the Oil Sands work. I'm curious - how many times have you been to Alberta, again? Did you just somehow 'miss' all of the fun stuff here like the abject racism (Calgary & Edmonton being somewhat of the exception), anti-semitism, anti-environmentalism, roadside preachings and insidious problems with the natives?

That is the place Harper comes from. I live, literally, just a few houses away from the damn man's home now that I'm in Calgary, and given that i've lived in Alberta my entire life, I know most of the local 'lore' regarding the Harpers. They are fundamentalist to the core, and you don't have to swallow that uncozy truth for your precious Blues if you don't want, but those are hazardous blinders to put on.

Did it ever strike you as slightly odd that Harper would've sent that formal letter of apology to Dubya downstairs after we simply said, "No, we're not interested in going to Iraq."

It doesn't spark the question in your mind as to what would've happened a few years back if we'd have had the Conservatives in power rather than the Liberals?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

peterweal
peterweal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ummmm...I live in Halifax

Ummmm...I live in Halifax and I totally missed this.  (I have not been checking the news lately).

Can you explain what happened?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin

In the end the rest of Canada wanted a conservative party in charge, even if it was a minority, they did not want liberals (as they lost seats) down to 77, the bloq was not put in charge, they had 49 and the NDP was not put in charge, they have 37, so yes Canadians did put the conservatives in charge like it or not (personally I don't care for any of the parties at all). However 143 seats where given to the conservatives, they had a strong minority government, however this is the decision of the people, the people did not vote for a liberal/NDP/PQ government. No the concept that Canadians gave power the conservatives goes out the door with what the liberals, PQ and NDP are doing and pretty much what's the point of voting if this is going to happen. If Canada voted conservative then let them lead, after all the people get the government they voted for, like it or not.

For the record Kevin, in case you haven't bothered reading anything I have ever posted, I am not a fan of the Conservatives, nor the liberals or the NDP or the Green party or the PQ. I rather go with whoever has the better plan. So far, to date, the conservatives have to this point had the better plan so far, however the NDP and the Liberals, sorry their plans not that good at all, especially the NDP their economic plans just won't work.

As for the supreme court jab, sorry, again please do bother reading my posts, they are in charge in regards to constitutional changes. Especially in regards to what we were talking about regarding gay marriages. The government cannot do what it pleases in regards to the constitution as the Supreme court of Canada can over turn any changes to it.

As for what if's, don't care for what if's the conservatives where in power, I care what is happening now. The people gave the conservatives more seats then the Liberals, the NDP and the PQ each individually because they did not what them in charge, they gave the conservatives 143 so that they would be in charge. I highly doubt you can find me enough Canadians that say this is what they voted for, for a coalition government.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:If Canada

latincanuck wrote:
If Canada voted conservative then let them lead, after all the people get the government they voted for, like it or not/
That is fucking absurd.  'Canada' did not vote the Conservatives to power.  37.63% of Canadians voted for the Conservatives, giving them 143 seats (showcasing out poor electoral system) and a minority.  You can banish the myth of the 'strong' minority right now and this idea that the  62.37% of Canadians who didn't vote Conservative deserve a defunct Conservative minority and a parliament that barely functions because of the poor decisions of a power hungry Prime Minister.

Quote:
The people gave the conservatives more seats then the Liberals, the NDP and the PQ each individually because they did not what them in charge
'The people' split the vote to ensure a Conservative minority thus that the parties would have to work together and disengage their partisan bickering and politics to get something done in this country.  The Conservatives were given a second chance because 37.63% of Canadians thought they could cooperate in parliament as a minority government.  Let's not forget why we just had an election, however.  The Conservatives were managing a minority Government like a majority government and surprisingly, due to their attitude and the way they presented themselves, functioned on committees and drove toward partisan goals, they had to call an election to try to jump start parliament.  It didn't work.  The Conservatives presented a bill, mere weeks back in office, that the representatives of 62.37% of Canadians can't abide.  The Conservatives have, again, brought parliament to a standstill and unless an alternative is found in the perfectly legal and constitutional (what is more constitutional than a  majority formed by a coalition of those parties which represent 62.37% of Canadians?), another election will ensue and Canadians will again be given the opportunity to elect a minority government that may well stall parliament again.

Quote:
they gave the conservatives 143 so that they would be in charge.
No.  You don't understand the parliamentary system.  37.63% of Canadians voted a party to be in a minority Government with 143 seats.  A minority Government is no so much in charge as it is at the mercy of the opposition, which combined, has a majority.  The minority must have the confidence of the House. It must be able to table bills that are acceptable to those representatives of Canadians who did not vote for them.  The Conservatives do not have the confidence of the House.  They don't have the confidence of any opposition party.

Quote:
I highly doubt you can find me enough Canadians that say this is what they voted for, for a coalition government.
That does not matter.  A coalition government, Canadians should understand, is a legal and constitutional right of the opposition parties in a parliament led by a minority Government which does not have confidence in the House.  It is a necessary provision to ensure parliament can function when a government would otherwise postpone parliament from working on anything by proroguing, pushing back confidence votes (which virtually kills parliamentary activity) or holding yet another election.  The very simple fact is that a majority of Canadians did not vote for the Conservatives.  That is the very point of this.  The Conservatives have found no way to represent the country as a whole and so they will be defeated in parliament to the effect that there will be a coalition Government or an election.  I really do hope there is not another election!

BigUniverse wrote,

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Ummmm...I live in

Quote:

Ummmm...I live in Halifax and I totally missed this.  (I have not been checking the news lately).

Can you explain what happened?

It's fairly simple: Stephan Dion, Jack Layton and Guilles Duceppe have decided to work together, and their parties have effectively 'combined' into a gestalt entity to toss Stephen out of power, since he refuses to play nice and has decided to demonstrate his arrogance by introduce no-confidence provisioned bills to the house on a whim (likely so he could continue kicking-around the idea that Dion is 'such a coward').

The combined seats of the cooperating Bloc, NDP and Liberals will easily defeat the no confidence bill, resulting in Harper being found to no longer have the confidence of th House (which he clearly, legitimately, does not have. If he did, the other parties would not have agreed to work together) and the coalition replacing them in power.

EDIT: Oh, also - The Coalition will operate (with Dion as PM) for 18 months, after which time the agreement will expire and the parties will go their separate ways again. Presumably another election will be called (hopefully, this whole situation will drive more voter turnout. Is anyone else aware that our last election had about the poorest turnout... well, ever? Sad)

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:So far, to date, the

Quote:
So far, to date, the conservatives have to this point had the better plan so far

What 'plan', exactly? Would you mind describing thisin detail?

Funny that you're apparently aware of a plan that nobody else in Canada is.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Quote:So

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
So far, to date, the conservatives have to this point had the better plan so far

What 'plan', exactly? Would you mind describing thisin detail?

Funny that you're apparently aware of a plan that nobody else in Canada is.

Funny the plan involves selling 2.3 billion in government assets, cuting 2 billion in cuts, specifically in salary controls for public servants as well as MPs and senators. for the rest http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1001234 hmm a little bit of research kevin does wonders. I would still like to see a better plan at this moment, because NDP did not have a better plan at all, and the liberals, well sorry it wasn't a better plan either, and so far none of them have presented a better economic plan, all they have said is that they want to take over. If the people of Canada wanted the Liberals in charge then they would have given them more seats, not taken away seats.

As well I would not agree with this if the liberals or any other party where in charge either and the tories to do a coalition to take the party that was given the majority of seats over the other parties (again liberals did not vote for NDP or PQ, nor did the NDP's or PQ voters vote for the others). As well for the record there really wasn't much to vote for, as it was pretty much all childish fighting among all the parties during the election (personally I think that was the reason for a low voter turn out) however I cannot see this being a good choice for the liberals or NDP as they are willing to get in bed with the PQ, and I don't think voters overall will respond with joy on this one. From what I have been hearing, and reading (people in ontario and so far those that I have spoke with here in Alberta) they are not happy with this coalition thing, they have the same view that I do, tories were given more seats than the other parties individually, they were put in charge, albeit with  minority government, the liberals were not put in charge nor were the NDP or PQ. Plus voters did not vote for a coalition.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Sigh*I'm not in the mood

*Sigh*

I'm not in the mood for a debate with a broken record.

Yeah, canuck. You're so correct. Canadians definately voted in the majority for Conservatives. Get out there and shout your malcontent with the rest of the slack-jawed retards whom the numbers will always fail to convince.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:tories

latincanuck wrote:
tories were given more seats than the other parties individually, they were put in charge, albeit with  minority government, the liberals were not put in charge nor were the NDP or PQ. Plus voters did not vote for a coalition.
Honestly, are you slow?  Voters voted for a minority Conservative Government.  A minority government is at the mercy of the House.  It must have the confidence of the House.  Stephen Harper has driven his Government over a cliff.  He, in fact, has done it twice in a row now.  Those who voted for the Conservatives gave that party a second chance to try to govern effectively.  They've thrown it away. 

Are we to sit idly by while our parliament is suspended so that Stephen Harper can keep his job for another month?  Are those Canadians who didn't vote for the Conservatives, which is a majority of Canadians, to sit back while Harper harangues the Governor General to prorogue parliament and then in all likelihood call an election when a viable alternative in a coalition government (which is not unprecedented and has nothing to do with what people voted for) could be instated to get parliament working and to get legislation passed that satisfies most Canadians?

The only other option would be for Mr. Harper to step down.  I would expect, at that time, that his entire cabinet would step down.  The only way the Conservatives can conseivably stay in government without calling another election (not that that guarantees anyone in particular a government right now) or indefinitely proroguing and blocking parliament would be to present Canadians with a new Prime Minister and cabinet who are willing to work with parliament to get something done.  The longer the Conservatives put this off, however, the less likely it is that anyone will see this as a graceful move and an acceptance of defeat.

BigUniverse wrote,

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:latincanuck

Thomathy wrote:

latincanuck wrote:
tories were given more seats than the other parties individually, they were put in charge, albeit with  minority government, the liberals were not put in charge nor were the NDP or PQ. Plus voters did not vote for a coalition.
Honestly, are you slow?  Voters voted for a minority Conservative Government.  A minority government is at the mercy of the House.  It must have the confidence of the House.  Stephen Harper has driven his Government over a cliff.  He, in fact, has done it twice in a row now.  Those who voted for the Conservatives gave that party a second chance to try to govern effectively.  They've thrown it away. 

Are we to sit idly by while our parliament is suspended so that Stephen Harper can keep his job for another month?  Are those Canadians who didn't vote for the Conservatives, which is a majority of Canadians, to sit back while Harper harangues the Governor General to prorogue parliament and then in all likelihood call an election when a viable alternative in a coalition government (which is not unprecedented and has nothing to do with what people voted for) could be instated to get parliament working and to get legislation passed that satisfies most Canadians?

The only other option would be for Mr. Harper to step down.  I would expect, at that time, that his entire cabinet would step down.  The only way the Conservatives can conseivably stay in government without calling another election (not that that guarantees anyone in particular a government right now) or indefinitely proroguing and blocking parliament would be to present Canadians with a new Prime Minister and cabinet who are willing to work with parliament to get something done.  The longer the Conservatives put this off, however, the less likely it is that anyone will see this as a graceful move and an acceptance of defeat.

Thomathy, in the end of the day yes they have a minority government, but they have more seats than the liberals which will be in charge, which is not how the country voted, that's the problem in the end of the day, if the people voted liberal they would be in charge not the tories, and really without the PQ there would be no coalition and do liberal voters really want the PQ involved? No one from any party has asked the voters if they want this. I bet that chances are if another election is done, they will get the majority mainly because the liberals and NDP screwed up with the PQ (this is just a personal opinion). But in reality I would like to see the liberals/NDP/PQ idea for the economy before they decide to do this, because in the end of the day, they haven't presented anything other than they don't like hapers plan, but they haven't presented an viable alternative economic plan.

Oh Kevin yeah slack jaw comment, yeah good one, at least I gave you the economic plan, so shut up please, your being quite ignorant on that part. As various liberal canadian voters don't like the idea of a coalition with the PQ either, they are showing their displeasure as well from facebook to the newspapers.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
For the record

I don't agree with what harper is going to do most likely to stay in power, suspend parliment, I say another election and hopefully we (as a country) can elect a goverment with majority and stop with all this childish stupid behavior from all the parties, maybe have an election that focuses on the issues and the economic plans from all the parties and not all the mud slinging childish antics of the previous election.....although I don't have high hopes of that.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are right.  No one has

You are right.  No one has yet asked the voters what they want, that they've published.  But, people are speaking up, as is their right and as they should.  I'm sure it's difficult, however, to discern the numbers of those who support what.  The parties are obliged, if they don't want to alienate their constituents, to listen to them.  Let's hope that gets done and that they're conducting their own polls.  Barring that, of course, some polling company is going to conduct a poll soon.  One by which the parties can gauge what their moves should be and one which will give Canadians a good idea about how their fellows feel.

I would also like to see an economic plan brought forth by the proposed coalition.  Such a plan, however, should not be the thing which would decide what happens with our Government.  The Conservative's plan is not viable.  More than that, the Conservative's very own plan, before its slight revision, set the mood for parliament.  This is going to be another parliament wherein the Conservatives try to rule as though they have a majority, where they present legislation which is wholly undesirable and threaten the opposition into obeyance with elections.  It should not be put up with.  This is their second chance.  It is ridiculous for them to ask Canadians again to go to the polls and it is merely delaying the inevitable for them to prorogue parliament.  I'm insulted by Harper and I'm stupified by any Canadian who fails to understand the real problem with the Conservative's Government and the constitutionality of a coalition or that such a coalition would actually be able to pass legislation without partisan politics at the forfront.

You can continue on in this vein, but I hope you seem fit to realize that there is actually more behind the motives of the coalition members than merely an unacceptable piece of legislation.  The issue is much larger than that.  Canada is being played with by Harper.

BigUniverse wrote,

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:I don't

latincanuck wrote:

I don't agree with what harper is going to do most likely to stay in power, suspend parliment, I say another election and hopefully we (as a country) can elect a goverment with majority and stop with all this childish stupid behavior from all the parties, maybe have an election that focuses on the issues and the economic plans from all the parties and not all the mud slinging childish antics of the previous election.....although I don't have high hopes of that.

Why are you so hung up on majority governments?  They are not the only productive government.  The Liberals have had many successful minorities.  It is the very foundation of this constitutional monarchy that we can have minority governments wherein the government must work with the rest of parliament to pass legislation that appeals to every Canadian.  In fact, such a government operates much like a coalition.  It must cooperate to maintain power. 

Another election is not an ideal, or at this point as I see it, an acceptable alternative to a coalition.  In fact, the coalition is the very opposite of 'childish stupid behaviour'; otherwise enemies are working together with the best interests of their constituents and Canadians in mind.  They have put their difference behind them to unite for a time so that this country may work.  There is no more noble an endeavour in parliament than such a coalition and you broad branding and insistence on sterotyped labelling is exactly the kind of behaviour that is maintained in a parliament not so united.  That is, a parliament wherein Stephen Harper is Prime Minister.

BigUniverse wrote,

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Governor General has

The Governor General has zero right to allow Harper to call another election. Non precedent, no reasonable justification, nothing. If she gives it to him, I hope Canadians will wake-up and realize what a partisan patsy she is.

Calling an election so soon after the previous one demonstrates the inability to hold the Prime Minister's office. It's a waste of time & money (and neither are thing we can afford to be careless with right now, despite our currently strong position in the global recession) - which is why the last time it was done, the Governor General axed the PM and put the opposition in power.

EDIT: He's tucked his tail and ran, as expected. Parliament will be dissolved until the 26th of January.

*facepalms*

...If that right there doesn't demonstrate the inability to lead, I don't know what does. The bickersome, whiny little bigot can't even take it like a man.

Oh well. The Tories can hide under their blankey until Feburary.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not a big fan of the GGs

I'm not a big fan of the GGs decision, but I think it might make sense in the long term. I would bet she made some kind of deal with Harper where he gets the prorogue right now, but if he can't get the support needed by Jan. 26, then she's not calling another election.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's what I'm thinking as

That's what I'm thinking as well, stillmatic.

I'm still wondering what the Hell Stephen's move is, though (aside from holding his breath 'till his cheeks turn red and stamping his feet). Always fun to watch someone's true colors come through in the media, though:

Anyone else see the Conservative commercials that effectively state that the Quebecors should essentially have no voting rights, essentially trying to do a watered-down version of McCain/Palin hate-mongering?

Tragically hilarious.

EDIT: ...Now Jackie's saying that the Coalition might try to take Stephen down during the throne speech.

Uh. Can they do that?

If so... this would be the first time something Jack has said has, in it's entirety, made me quite happy. Smiling

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, they can, I believe,

Well, they can, I believe, take him down during the throne speech, but I can't think of a single instance where it's happened.  I'll have to do some research.

I really do wonder what Jean's thinking was here.  I'm inclined toward the idea that she's cut Harper a break so that he can try to fix things (hahahahahaha!), but what are Harper's options once parliament resumes?  I can see only three.  1. Get defeated→election or coalition.  2. Preemptive election.  3. Step down.

Oh, and he's fucked himself bad in Quebec so if there is an election, he's just lost himself those seats he gained.  He's made an art of alientating Canadians and making his enemy look (though they actually are) not only better than himself wholly, but more comptetent and adult.

This is the most pathetic politics, I think, ever played.  If we look up sore looser, we're sure to find a redirection to Stephen Harper, the Prime Minister of Canada who wouldn't admit defeat.

BigUniverse wrote,

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
The majority

I never said election would be ideal at all, but i see that happening for some reason, tories won't give up power (then again I doubt any of the parties would give up power easily.) As for the majority part, it's because I do not like the idea that if the other parties lose the election, that they can simply get  a coalition together so that they can take power from the party (which ever party it is) that was elected by the people of Canada, for better or for worse. After all if you don't get 51 percent of the votes then the other can effectively make a coalition and take over just because they don't like the PM. With that said I highly doubt that the liberals, the NDP and the PQ (especially the PQ) have canada's best interest at heart. If Canadians believed that the liberals could govern better then they would have been elected same goes for the NDP or the PQ. But it was not like that in the end.

With this said, the tories are not making things easy for themselves and have effectively put themselves against a rock and a hard place at this point. What happens, it will be interesting.