Sapient, since you are an Eagle's fan.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient, since you are an Eagle's fan.

I have a question since you know the history of that team better than I do. TRUST ME WHEN I SAY, I am not asking you this question to make the Eagles look bad, because many players have the same attitude he does. He is merely the only one I know that wrote a book about his own flaws.

First off, both you and I as NFL fans accept that injuries are part of the game. But I think we also know that it shouldn't be a priority to end an apponant's career, but merely a incedental consiquence of playing the game.

Do you happen to remember the Eagle who wrote the book where he regreted diliberately looking for ways to injure players?

I cant think of his name and am merely asking if you may know.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
And let me add.....Please

And let me add.....Please don't hurt me.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
No clue. If I had to guess

No clue. If I had to guess I would say Chuck Bednarik, however as far as I know he's still an asshole and still wishes harm on anyone in his path. 

I'll snoop/ask around.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am not familure with that

I am not familure with that guy.

I think I just remembered his name, excuse the spelling,

How about Mark Gastenou(sp), ?

Oops, maybe he was a Jet, that is what google says.

Green is a common color in both teams.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Check out what wiki says

Check out what wiki says about him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Bednarik

Bednarik was the first player drafted in the 1949 NFL Draft, chosen by the Philadelphia Eagles. With the Eagles, he starred on both offense (as a center) and defense (as a linebacker) and became the last player to play on both sides of the football. He was a member of the Eagles' NFL Championship teams in 1949 and 1960. In the 1960 championship game, Chuck Bednarik tackled Jim Taylor on the final play of the game at the Eagles' eight yard line (the last Eagle between Taylor and the end zone), and remained atop Taylor for several seconds as the final seconds ticked off the clock, ensuring the Packers could not run another play. The Eagles won that game 17-13.

A tough and highly effective tackler, Bednarik is perhaps best known for knocking Frank Gifford of the New York Giants out of football for over eighteen months, with one of the most famous tackles in NFL history in 1960. Bednarik had a famous quarrel with Chuck Noll, who once, as a player for the Cleveland Browns (before his NFL coaching career), smashed him in the face during a 4th-down punting play.

Bednarik proved extremely durable. In 14 seasons, he missed just three games. He was named All-Pro eight times, and was the last of the NFL's "Sixty Minute Men," players who played both offense and defense on a regular basis. Bednarik's nickname, "Concrete Charlie," originated from his off-season career as a concrete salesman for the Warner Company, not (contrary to popular belief) from his reputation as a ferocious tackler. Nonetheless, sportswriter Hugh Brown of The Bulletin in Philadelphia, credited with bestowing the nickname, remarked that Bednarik "is as hard as the concrete he sells." In 1999, he was ranked number 54 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players. This made him the highest-ranking player to have spent all of his career with the Eagles, the highest-ranking offensive center and the eighth-ranked linebacker in all of professional football.

Opinions on current NFL players

Bednarik has been an outspoken, even bitter critic of today's NFL players for playing on only one side of the ball, calling them "pussyfoots", noting that they "suck air after five plays" and that they "couldn't tackle my wife Emma". He even criticized Troy Brownof the New England Patriots and Deion Sanders, two players who also have played both offense and defense, because their positions as a wide receiver and cornerback didn't require as much contact as the center and linebacker positions that Bednarik played.

Relationship with the Eagles

Bednarik's former Eagles number 60 has been retired by the Eagles in honor of his achievements with the team and is one of only seven numbers retired in the history of the Eagles franchise. When the Eagles established their Honor Roll in 1987, Bednarik was one of the first class of inductees. He attended reunions for the 25th anniversary of the 1960 NFL Championship team in 1985 and the 40th anniversary of the 1948-49 NFL Championship team in 1988 (though he was a rookie with the 1949 team), held in pregame ceremonies at Veterans Stadium. Bednarik has feuded with current Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie in 1996 because he refused to buy 100 copies of Bednarik's new book for $15 each for the entire team, as that was against NFL rules, and that grudge carried over into the Eagles most recent Super Bowl appearance in 2005, when he openly rooted against his former team.

He has been a consistent critic of several league issues, including his pension, today's salaries, and one-way players. During Eagles training camp in the summer of 2006, Bednarik and the Eagles reconciled, seemingly ending the feud between Bednarik and Lurie. However, at the same time, Bednarik made disparaging remarks regarding Reggie White, an Eagle fan favorite, leading to a somewhat lukewarm reception of the reconciliation by Eagles' fans. However, in the August 4th edition of Allentown'sMorning Call newspaper, it was reported that Bednarik apologized. He stated he had been confused and meant to make the statement about controversial former Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
>NFL players for playing on

>NFL players for playing on only one side of the ball, calling them "pussyfoots", noting that they "suck air after five plays" and that they "couldn't tackle my wife Emma".<

FUCK. LOL........I am all for being tough, and I do agree to some degree, especially with the 3 step rule on QBs, which is nothing more than protecting the money, I agree, the sport is slowly morphing into flag football.

Again, if you agree to get into the boxing ring, you agree to take the risk of the sport, BUT you don't go out of your way to bite someone's ear off. I am all for being intense, and I cant stand the dancing most running backs do. But I also don't like players who will diliberately go after someone's knee cap or arm.

Thats like when the Redskins suck I often remark, "My dead cat can play better than that, IN HIS CURRENT STATE".

So in some ways I agree, some rules are over protective, but at the same time I don't think the players should diliberately try to end someone's career.

That remark is funny though, he thinks today's players are panzies. He was playing with helmets, BUT shortly before the first years of the collective NFL's first year they had a kick off play called "The flying V" formation where the players interlocked their arms and smashed into each other. If memory serves me correctly in a 2 or 3 year period 3 players died as a result and the play was banned.

I have no problem with being tough in sports, but you shouldn't want to get to the point of literally wanting to kill the other player. It is in the end merely just a game.

I can understand the desire to be tough in a sport. Riggo would bulldoze over anyone in front of him and drag other players with him. I  am merely saying that after all is said and done, you should still be willing to be a good sport about it.