Church Plagiarizes AIG on Agnosia

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Church Plagiarizes AIG on Agnosia

The weekend before Thanksgiving, I attended a potluck at a Chinese Evangelical Church. After the meal, the pastor delivered a sermon where he actually attempted to prove the truth of the Bible and the existence of God. Unsurprisingly, the whole thing was really pathetic, graced with the fine tuning argument, argument with ad hoc fallacy on top of anecdotal evidence, argument from faith, etc. He was even bold enough (deluded enough?) to claim that science points to God, not evolution. 

Really, the only point in the entire ordeal that intrigued me was about the phenomena agnosia. After a simple google search, it became apparent that he plagiarized it from answersingenesis. He never even mentioned the website.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v21/i4/trees.asp

I have never heard this argument before, I am scientifically inept on this topic, and I can't seem to find a refutation for it.

So, comments?  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:The

butterbattle wrote:

The weekend before Thanksgiving, I attended a potluck at a Chinese Evangelical Church. After the meal, the pastor delivered a sermon where he actually attempted to prove the truth of the Bible and the existence of God. Unsurprisingly, the whole thing was really pathetic, graced with the fine tuning argument, argument with ad hoc fallacy on top of anecdotal evidence, argument from faith, etc. He was even bold enough (deluded enough?) to claim that science points to God, not evolution. 

Really, the only point in the entire ordeal that intrigued me was about the phenomena agnosia. After a simple google search, it became apparent that he plagiarized it from answersingenesis. He never even mentioned the website.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v21/i4/trees.asp

I have never heard this argument before, I am scientifically inept on this topic, and I can't seem to find a refutation for it.

So, comments?  

Agnosia is real, but that miracle is not. It is that simple. The claim on AIG that the miracle must have happened is bogus. I just don't see much more here to comment on. How would the blind guy even know what trees look llike, or understand that it was people he was seening in front of him? This is pretty clearly just a poetic line in the passage about trees and people. It is not evidence that Jesus really gave blind people their vision and rewired their brains. AIG is taking our modern knowledge about neurology and superimposing it over an ancient myth.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Empirical Infidel
Empirical Infidel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christians seem to love to

Christians seem to love to plagiarize and don't seem to view it as sinful. They steal advertising slogans all the time.

Agnosia is real, of course. Because the area of the brain that interprets visual images isn't being used the brain modifies it for other purposes. When a blind person has his sight restored he no longer has the brain functions to interpret what the eye collects. Conspicuously absent from the article in AIG is that none of the persons blind from birth whose eyes were made functional ever had restoration of the brain functions associated with sight and all eventually committed suicide.

The article also stated that this constituted irrefutable evidence of a miracle. In response to his use of "irrefutable", I'll plagiarize "The Pricess Bride"; I do not think that word means what he thinks that word means.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:How would the blind

Quote:
How would the blind guy even know what trees look llike, or understand that it was people he was seening in front of him?

Oh, right............

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare