Our racist ancestors.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Our racist ancestors.

What exactly was the evolutionary process by which humans became distinct from chimpanzees and other apes? Isn't it in fact what we would call today racism? At first the variations were small, but then there became a bias against those "tree dwelling, chimp like-looking creatures".

Our ancestors 6 million BCE:

Those Chimp and Gorilla races barely walk upright, communicate or use their hands to make tools. They behave so uncivilized.

Look at how ugly they are with their body hair, flat noses, etc...

We are obviously a superior race to Chimps and Gorillas. We need to separate ourselves from this inferior race, not interbreed with them, destroy them in war if they get in our way. We need to promote the characteristics of our superior master human race.

The evidence indicates that the main split with chimps occurred about 6 million years ago. But chimps and humans could still interbreed for millions of years after that. In fact there is still debate today about whether a 'Humanzee' could be produced.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1641443.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/18/science/18evolve.html?_r=1&ex=1171515600&en=50ac61aa1c998951&ei=5070

So, there was these horny guys(perhaps women too) that just couldn't resist a little nookie with the knuckle draggers. I mean what man or woman couldn't resist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcbeJjujgZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiPqnt9xlWk

So doesn't this mean that 'racism' is an integral part of our makeup that led to the selection of human features over chimp/gorilla features? We seem to still have this disdain for other ape-like features. We insult people by comparing them to apes.

When we look at apes, we see they are close to human but then we also have a "that's ugly" reaction. Isn't the human judgement of what is ugly/beautiful in potential mate partially a judgement of how ape/human they are? We are hardwired to think ape like features are ugly. So racism is really a natural feature that has played an important role in final stages of human evolution. Hasn't racism played a role in adapting light skinned humans to arctic climates and dark skinned people to tropical climates?

Now, how do we really make religious people angry? By telling them they evolved from lower primates/animals, that apes/animals are their cousins. They say we call them and their children monkeys and animals, but humans are God's special children. Religion and racism are closely interconnected, but they are just natural phenomena.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:What exactly was

EXC wrote:

What exactly was the evolutionary process by which humans became distinct from chimpanzees and other apes? Isn't it in fact what we would call today racism? At first the variations were small, but then there became a bias against those "tree dwelling, chimp like-looking creatures".

Our ancestors 6 million BCE:

Those Chimp and Gorilla races barely walk upright, communicate or use their hands to make tools. They behave so uncivilized.

Look at how ugly they are with their body hair, flat noses, etc...

We are obviously a superior race to Chimps and Gorillas. We need to separate ourselves from this inferior race, not interbreed with them, destroy them in war if they get in our way. We need to promote the characteristics of our superior master human race.

The evidence indicates that the main split with chimps occurred about 6 million years ago. But chimps and humans could still interbreed for millions of years after that. In fact there is still debate today about whether a 'Humanzee' could be produced.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1641443.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/18/science/18evolve.html?_r=1&ex=1171515600&en=50ac61aa1c998951&ei=5070

So, there was these horny guys(perhaps women too) that just couldn't resist a little nookie with the knuckle draggers. I mean what man or woman couldn't resist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcbeJjujgZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiPqnt9xlWk

So doesn't this mean that 'racism' is an integral part of our makeup that led to the selection of human features over chimp/gorilla features? We seem to still have this disdain for other ape-like features. We insult people by comparing them to apes.

When we look at apes, we see they are close to human but then we also have a "that's ugly" reaction. Isn't the human judgement of what is ugly/beautiful in potential mate partially a judgement of how ape/human they are? We are hardwired to think ape like features are ugly. So racism is really a natural feature that has played an important role in final stages of human evolution. Hasn't racism played a role in adapting light skinned humans to arctic climates and dark skinned people to tropical climates?

Now, how do we really make religious people angry? By telling them they evolved from lower primates/animals, that apes/animals are their cousins. They say we call them and their children monkeys and animals, but humans are God's special children. Religion and racism are closely interconnected, but they are just natural phenomena.

Are we noble savages tainted by a racist culture transforming us into vicious hate-mongering bigots? Well that has been the gospel of social scientists for far too long. It is high time that humanity faces its innate dark natures. Our xenophobic tendencies have a significant innate component which likely had a survival advantage during the course of natural selection. In our time the extremes of political correctness have not yielded a society free of prejudice. In fact, it is arguable that racism has subtley amplified. Evidence that racism is not purely a social construct are historical events that social scientists casually ignore. I am not speaking of Nazi Germany or South African apartheid. I speak of the tragedy that struck Rwanda. Even though Chrisitan Hutus and Tutsis were physically identical, their deep devotion to their tribes manifested with years of conflict and genocide of Tutsis. Humans have a natural tendency to categorize on the basis of in group/out group. We also have a natural tendency towards tribal affiliations with the extremes of ethnocentrism.

Thus racism is a biologic universal and is by no means an exclusive trait of the western nations often ridiculed as being "white supremacist." The case of Rwanda is a classic example of what happens when democracy, civil liberties and rule of law fail and thus allow our darkest innate natures to flourish. Christianity did not breed saints in Rwanda. Marxism did not manifest a utopia in Yugoslavia. It is foolish and stupid to think that by "changing society" on a global scale will transform men into samaritans.

We are all rotten to a certain degree and this is hardwired in us. We need to accept that as fact and only then can we begin a rational dialogue on what to do about racism, sexism, classism, homophobia etc.. We need to collectively understand that all forms of prejudice will forever exist. What can be done about it? All we can do is strengthen laws which protect the rights and liberties of individuals. It is useless to continue with the line "we live in a white supremacist patriarchical society and that all social, political and cultural institutions need to be transformed and by socially engineering the masses to follow this perfect ideology, only then will we achieve equality." That shit don't work.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'm not going to spend a

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this because frankly, I don't want to, but I believe that racism is one of the most, if not the most common *SYMPTOM* of a broader human quality.  All humans tend towards Us-Them delineations.  Since most humans spend only a few seconds at most interacting outside of their own in-group at any given moment, obvious physical differences are very susceptable to this tendency.  However, all you have to do is look at the effect of sports or other powerful us-them systems to see that race can become far less of an issue given another locus of segregation.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I'm not

Hambydammit wrote:

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this because frankly, I don't want to, but I believe that racism is one of the most, if not the most common *SYMPTOM* of a broader human quality.  All humans tend towards Us-Them delineations.  Since most humans spend only a few seconds at most interacting outside of their own in-group at any given moment, obvious physical differences are very susceptable to this tendency.  However, all you have to do is look at the effect of sports or other powerful us-them systems to see that race can become far less of an issue given another locus of segregation.

But would you agree that evolution has produced in us a propensity toward being racist? That this is either instinctive and/or produced by societal pressures. But this racism actually speed up the evolutionary processes that enabled humans to become distinct(some may say superior) to chimpanzees and other apes? Are we not the superior ape?

If humans and chimpanzees can still interbreed, should not discrimination against chimps or humanzees then be considered racism? Why not? When did we become a different species instead of just a different race?

So shouldn't we look at slavery, the Holocaust and Rwanda not a aberrations but as a continually process that has probably been occurring for millions of years. Another one one of those ugly things like religion that results from us not being rational creatures but rather having evolved from damn dirty apes?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote:Are we noble

ragdish wrote:

Are we noble savages tainted by a racist culture transforming us into vicious hate-mongering bigots? Well that has been the gospel of social scientists for far too long. It is high time that humanity faces its innate dark natures. Our xenophobic tendencies have a significant innate component which likely had a survival advantage during the course of natural selection. In our time the extremes of political correctness have not yielded a society free of prejudice. In fact, it is arguable that racism has subtley amplified. Evidence that racism is not purely a social construct are historical events that social scientists casually ignore. I am not speaking of Nazi Germany or South African apartheid. I speak of the tragedy that struck Rwanda. Even though Chrisitan Hutus and Tutsis were physically identical, their deep devotion to their tribes manifested with years of conflict and genocide of Tutsis. Humans have a natural tendency to categorize on the basis of in group/out group. We also have a natural tendency towards tribal affiliations with the extremes of ethnocentrism.

Thus racism is a biologic universal and is by no means an exclusive trait of the western nations often ridiculed as being "white supremacist." The case of Rwanda is a classic example of what happens when democracy, civil liberties and rule of law fail and thus allow our darkest innate natures to flourish. Christianity did not breed saints in Rwanda. Marxism did not manifest a utopia in Yugoslavia. It is foolish and stupid to think that by "changing society" on a global scale will transform men into samaritans.

We are all rotten to a certain degree and this is hardwired in us. We need to accept that as fact and only then can we begin a rational dialogue on what to do about racism, sexism, classism, homophobia etc.. We need to collectively understand that all forms of prejudice will forever exist. What can be done about it? All we can do is strengthen laws which protect the rights and liberties of individuals. It is useless to continue with the line "we live in a white supremacist patriarchical society and that all social, political and cultural institutions need to be transformed and by socially engineering the masses to follow this perfect ideology, only then will we achieve equality." That shit don't work.

I agree. It's like political correctness is some kind of religion. You can only be 'holy' by taking on the PC point of view. We need to understand where racism, etc.. comes from by understanding how our species and culture really evolved. We can fix societal problems unless we admit who we really are (DDAs).

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:But would you agree

Quote:
But would you agree that evolution has produced in us a propensity toward being racist?

I answered this question directly above.

Quote:
But this racism actually speed up the evolutionary processes that enabled humans to become distinct(some may say superior) to chimpanzees and other apes?

No.

Quote:
 Are we not the superior ape?

No.

Quote:
If humans and chimpanzees can still interbreed, should not discrimination against chimps or humanzees then be considered racism?

No.

Quote:
Why not?

Because "race" is a nearly meaningless term describing superficial expressions of alleles common to all humans, and would not properly be the root of a word describing interbreeding between species.

Quote:
When did we become a different species instead of just a different race?

Several hundred thousand years ago we became a different species through very gradual steps.  You should know this.   Let me repeat:  Race is a superficial expression of alleles common to all humans.

Quote:
So shouldn't we look at slavery, the Holocaust and Rwanda not a aberrations but as a continually process that has probably been occurring for millions of years

Humans have been fighting other humans for our entire history.  Sometimes, it's been racially motivated.  Sometimes not.  We should look at all genocidal campaigns as a manifestation of the Us-Them instinct in humans which often reveals itself as racism, because race is so superficially obvious that it pretty much negates the need for further investigation into family heritage.

EXC, try to wrap your brain around this, ok?  Race has not been an issue for 99% of human history because there wasn't enough intermixing of geographically isolated groups.

Quote:
Another one one of those ugly things like religion that results from us not being rational creatures but rather having evolved from damn dirty apes?

For 99% of our history, it's been quite rational to try to banish or kill people that were not in the tribe.  Racism becomes irrational only in modern society, which is a blip on our evolutionary timeline.  It's a sad expression of a very rational instinct which has served us well for most of our history.  Though I don't know this for certain, I'd wager a guess that we've had religion longer than we've had racism in anything approaching the modern sense.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:EXC, try

Hambydammit wrote:

EXC, try to wrap your brain around this, ok?  Race has not been an issue for 99% of human history because there wasn't enough intermixing of geographically isolated groups.

Racism against people from different continents of course. This has only occurred since technology has enabled global migration. It doesn't make sense to believe our racist tendencies just somehow appeared with globalization. The propensity to be racist has always been in our species. Just like our propensity to be religious and bellicose.

I think there has always been discrimination against other local tribes that lived only a few miles away, the variations were often minor but the still existed. In Africa, our human ancestors probably discriminated against the chimpanzee and gorilla ancestors that lived nearby, the difference became greater over time. There was probably an idea that human characteristics were superior. I believe this sped up the adaptation of human characteristics(walking, swimming, language, etc...). Also there are advantages as far as immunity to diseases, elimination of competition to being Xenophobic.

I think we had genetic purity in geographic locations because of racist attitudes within societies. For example, when our ancestors migrated from Africa to northern Europe and Asia, the big challenge became surviving the winter. We needed lighter skin to absorb more sunlight. There were random variations that gave advantages to light skinned people. The people with dark skin would have had problems, they would be sick and lethargic from lack of Vitamin D in the winter. Because of this perhaps the idea that light skinned people were superior to dark skinned people became a prevalent idea in the society. This 'racism' actually sped up the adaptation of humans to arctic climates. In tropical climates there was racism against light skinned people that could not handle the intense sun.

I don't if you've experienced this but on a warm sunny beach, I'll find a well tanned or dark woman way more attractive than a white woman. But then in the cold snow, I'll find the white woman more attractive.

Hambydammit wrote:

For 99% of our history, it's been quite rational to try to banish or kill people that were not in the tribe.  Racism becomes irrational only in modern society, which is a blip on our evolutionary timeline.  

I think there is an interesting balance between protecting the tribe and keeping it genetically pure and being open to new ideas, cultures and genetic codes.

I was reading about that scientists now think what humans find attractive in a mate is the way they smell and that we are attracted to someone that has different immunity system and we can subconsciously tell this by smell. The reason we don't find our close relatives attractive(except in West Virginia and Kentucky) is that they smell like ourselves and that this indicates that they have a similar immune system. Nature wants us to breed with someone that has immunity against disease which we don't have.

But their is also a danger in foreigners bringing in diseases as well. With globalization we got the plagues of the Middle ages and the Native American extermination. Since globalization, the greatest adaptation has been with immunity to disease. The people that have survived have been the ones with the best and most diverse immune systems.

Hambydammit wrote:

It's a sad expression of a very rational instinct which has served us well for most of our history.  Though I don't know this for certain, I'd wager a guess that we've had religion longer than we've had racism in anything approaching the modern sense.

I think religion and racism kind of go hand in hand. Doesn't all religion believe that our tribe is the special chosen people of the god(s)? That other tribes and species are inferior cause god(s) is on our side. That the leaders of the tribe are mediators with the god(s) or the leader is god. In order to justify racism, one must believe one is created special.

I agree with much of what you write, but I think you sometimes fall into the trap of Political Correctness. We don't want rational atheism to turn into the church of political correctness. Yes, racism and religion in the modern world probably have a net destructive effect on society and individuals.

But there is this politically correct idea that racism is evil, produced by some kind of devil in men's souls. Racism like religion is a natural phenomena, we should understand them as such. They may have aided individuals and tribes in past as far as survival and adaptation, they also lead to a lot of war and conflict. But with globalization and modern technology and understanding they both need to fade away.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Um, exc, a few points

Um, exc, a few points that you are missing:

There were no chimps or gorillas six million years ago, so it is hardly likely that we refused to interbreed with them. What existed back then was the common ancestor to all of us.

I suppose that during the time when the population was all one founder species, there were beautiful and ugly ones by the standard of the time. And of course the ugly ones had a harder time getting a date. However, if that were relevant to evolution, then just why are there ugly people today?

Not being an anthropologist myself, I am going on guess work here but it seems somewhat more likely that six million years ago, there were several species of proto-hominid living in the same general area and they all had a common ancestor six million years further back. That common ancestor gave rise not only to the great apes (including us) but to monkeys, lemurs and orangutans as well.

The Soviet union tried to breed a line of Humanzees for cheap and easily controlled labor. So where are they now? The problem is that the experiments just did not work. None exist because none of the mating attempts worked.

Please check google images for pictures of chimps. There are several different populations scattered around Africa that have clearly different skin tones ranging from what we would call black to white. In all probability, race has been with us since some good time before the common ancestor evolved.

White skin does not absorb more sunlight. Black skin does. Physics 101.

Also, the native American extermination is a bit of a nit that I hold. Yah, we sold them dead men's blankets and all that. It really did not help them to survive. But if they were immunologically naïve to European diseases, would not European's be similarly naïve to the diseases that they were immune to?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

There were no chimps or gorillas six million years ago, so it is hardly likely that we refused to interbreed with them. What existed back then was the common ancestor to all of us.

There were chimp and gorilla ancestors. We gradually went our separate ways. But at first, the differences were minor. If you read the article in my first post, it seems to suggest there may have been some interbreeding all throughout the past 6 million years. So perhaps we could have some common ancestor with chimps within the last million years. But the major split seems to have occurred 6 million years ago base on DNA evidence. There probably has always been some horny 'human' like dude that couldn't resist some nookie with a 'chimp' like ape(even today it's true).

I suppose that during the time when the population was all one founder species, there were beautiful and ugly ones by the standard of the time. And of course the ugly ones had a harder time getting a date. However, if that were relevant to evolution, then just why are there ugly people today?

I was reading that feature about human evolution is that we developed around bodies of water. Where as chimps and other apes ancestors stayed in forests and mountains(perhaps to avoid being killed by our racist human ancestors). Humans developed the ability to swim which required us to have down-turned nostrils to keep water out of the nose. Now early humans that could catch fish and cross rivers had an advantage in natural selection. But wouldn't the uglies with chimp like noses that made it difficult to swim have been discriminated against? So maybe this sense of ugly and beautiful is closely related to racism. And there is 'ugly' people today because we are a product of this evolution process that is still occurring.

To the chimp are we not ugly with our nostrals made for swimming, lack of body hair and arms that are not very good for climbing trees?

The Soviet union tried to breed a line of Humanzees for cheap and easily controlled labor. So where are they now? The problem is that the experiments just did not work. None exist because none of the mating attempts worked.

From what I've read, it can probably be done with a little help from science and it may even be possible without any help. There'd probably be a lot a stillborns. It's probably not something any government or university would want to fund at this point in time.

Please check google images for pictures of chimps. There are several different populations scattered around Africa that have clearly different skin tones ranging from what we would call black to white. In all probability, race has been with us since some good time before the common ancestor evolved.

Sure just like any species, you have variety and adaptation to a particular climate/environment. But the differences start out as a different breed or race and eventually can become what we call a different species.

White skin does not absorb more sunlight. Black skin does. Physics 101.

I should say more UV rays penetrate through the outer layers in white skin. Here's an article that say's dark skinned people need 20 to 30 times more sun exposere to get the same vitamin D production as light skinned people:

http://www.phonesisters.com/vitaminD_health_reminder.html

Also, the native American extermination is a bit of a nit that I hold. Yah, we sold them dead men's blankets and all that. It really did not help them to survive. But if they were immunologically naïve to European diseases, would not European's be similarly naïve to the diseases that they were immune to?

I would guess that the Europeans had already traveled to Africa and Asia and throught Europe and brought disease back with them. In the middle ages, Europe had pleanty of plagues where the survivors would have been people with superior and diverse immune systems. Also the first Europeans in the Americas were sailors that had already traveled to many places to pick up pleanty of diseases. The native Americans were pretty isolated until Columbus so they never had need to develop much of an immune system.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

EXC wrote:
There were chimp and gorilla ancestors.

No, just no. I will let Hamby take this one in detail if he wants it.

EXC wrote:
I was reading that feature about human evolution is that we developed around bodies of water. Where as chimps and other apes ancestors stayed in forests and mountains(perhaps to avoid being killed by our racist human ancestors). Humans developed the ability to swim which required us to have down-turned nostrils to keep water out of the nose. Now early humans that could catch fish and cross rivers had an advantage in natural selection. But wouldn't the uglies with chimp like noses that made it difficult to swim have been discriminated against? So maybe this sense of ugly and beautiful is closely related to racism. And there is 'ugly' people today because we are a product of this evolution process that is still occurring.

Valid but only to a certain point. If ugly people never fuck then their genetic payload is not part of the equation.

EXC wrote:
From what I've read, it can probably be done with a little help from science and it may even be possible without any help. There'd probably be a lot a stillborns. It's probably not something any government or university would want to fund at this point in time.

Well, with a little help from science, lots of things can happen. Have you heard of “golden rice”? It is rice that has been “helped by science” with genetic material from daffodils. What matters from normal breeding is not if science can force something but rather if it is possible to happen in the (somewhat) more accepted way.

EXC wrote:
Sure just like any species, you have variety and adaptation to a particular climate/environment. But the differences start out as a different breed or race and eventually can become what we call a different species.

And yet there are white and black chimps. Go figure.

EXC wrote:
I would guess that the Europeans had already traveled to Africa and Asia and throught Europe and brought disease back with them. In the middle ages, Europe had pleanty of plagues where the survivors would have been people with superior and diverse immune systems. Also the first Europeans in the Americas were sailors that had already traveled to many places to pick up pleanty of diseases. The native Americans were pretty isolated until Columbus so they never had need to develop much of an immune system.

So European's became immune to diseases that only exist in the Americas because they went to Africa and Asia. OK, I can play that game.

The aboriginal population of the Americas had no immune system at all. This was because there were no diseases in the Americas. Either that or there were diseases in the Americas and the aboriginal population did not move around much. Um, no.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

No, just no. I will let Hamby take this one in detail if he wants it.

Sure there was, unless you're a creationist. The differences started out like what we would call today a different breed or race, the interbreeding became less and less frequent over time. The decline of interbreeding between ancestors occurred gradually and was due to geographic separation and I believe tribalism/racism and what could be called the ugliness of inferior apes. What do you find more sexually attractive, a chimp or human female(Rosie O'Donnell and Rosanne Barr excluded)? Didn't this perception evolve over time as well, so the chimp ancestors became less attractive to our human ancestors as time progressed. 

The aboriginal population of the Americas had no immune system at all. This was because there were no diseases in the Americas. Either that or there were diseases in the Americas and the aboriginal population did not move around much. Um, no.

There we some disease in the Americas but not all the same ones as the old world. They had some immunity and some aboriginals survived the infections by the Europeans. But they obviously did not have as diverse and developed immunity as the Europeans did.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Chimpanzees are great

Chimpanzees are great apes.  Bonobos are close cousins to chimps. Pan troglodytes and Pan paniscas, respectively.  They're the only two species in the chimp genus. The ancestors of chimps and humans split around 6 million years ago, which is to say there were not chimps and humans six million years ago.

As an aside, we have finished the Chimp Genome Project, and have concluded that humans and chimps have about 40 million differences in their genomes.  About 35 million of them are differing base pairs and about 5 million are insertions or deletions.  Neither here nor there for this conversation, but interesting.

EXC wrote:
Now early humans that could catch fish and cross rivers had an advantage in natural selection. But wouldn't the uglies with chimp like noses that made it difficult to swim have been discriminated against?

EXC, please, don't try to do this.  You don't know enough about evolution to make guesses like this.

Stop and think about what you're saying for a second, ok?  Chimps and bonobos don't swim.  That's probably why they became separate species.  However, they both survived in their own environments -- environments in which swimming wasn't important!  Our earliest ancestors also had their own environments, and swimming was possibly involved in our evolutionary success, though this is nothing more than speculation at this point as far as I know.

Even so, you must remember that evolution doesn't program females to prefer males who have something that will be beneficial in the future, which is what you're suggesting -- whether you know it or not.  Chimp noses are what they are because they were attached to the most fit members of pre-chimp ancestors.  Whether the nose was a sexual attractor to female proto-chimps is impossible to know.  You can't just pick some feature and decide that females must have preferred it a certain way.

Quote:
So maybe this sense of ugly and beautiful is closely related to racism. And there is 'ugly' people today because we are a product of this evolution process that is still occurring.

Seriously, dude.  I wish you would read more and type less.  I think I'm going to stop typing now because you've never listened to anything I say anyway.

You're right, EXC.  All our ancestors went around hating on each other because of the shape of their nose, and black people are inferior to whites because they have wide noses.  You're right.  Go get yourself a hood and burn some crosses.

Books about atheism

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Hambydammit

EXC wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Racism against people from different continents of course. This has only occurred since technology has enabled global migration. It doesn't make sense to believe our racist tendencies just somehow appeared with globalization. The propensity to be racist has always been in our species. Just like our propensity to be religious and bellicose.

I think you are hung up on 'race' specifically. It is not racism that we are predisposed to, it is us-vs-them-ism, and 'race' just happens to be one form of us-vs-them.

I think what you are referring to is really the tendency to form groups. Thus, I think you should use a different term, such as 'groupism', which I just made up, but which captures the idea better than 'racism'.

But notice this very important fact: The groups that groupism operates on are largely cultural, rather than genetic. Religion is a perfect example. There is no gene for Catholicism, but there are cultural symbols that identify one as a Catholic: Behaviour, clothing, symbolic ornaments, etc. Same with Jews, same with Hindus, etc. These are all cultural affectations that people display to emphasize their in-group. Likewise, anyone who displays a different set of affectations is in the out-group.

Racism, then, is a form of groupism where the affectation is culturally defined as obvious physical differences in skin tone, facial structure, etc. Please note this important distinction: While these things may have a genetic component to them, however superficial that may be, it is the cultural definition that defines the group. The group is *not* defined by actual genetic groups, it is defined by a culturally transmitted stereotype of what it means to be part of the in-group, and what it means to be part of the out-group.

Thus, a white racist may define the in-group according to white skin, but  also to facial features such as lack of oriental eye-flaps, etc. This cultural definition is essentially arbitrary. They could have said that you're only 'white' if you have blond hair and blue eyes. But why not red hair and green eyes? Why not ear-lobes vs. no-ear-lobes? These are all genetically inherited differences as well.

The point is this: If the cultural stereotype of the group definition is not faithfully preserved over the generations, then there can be no 'racism'. Therefore, for 'racism' to have operated in the differentiation between humans and chimps, then there must have been stable transmission of culture over generations in our common ancestor.

Therefore, if our common ancestor had stable culture, then chimps today should have stable culture, i.e. the stable transmission of cultural stereotypes.

But, chimps do not have this ability. They do have a weak form of culture, but it is not stable, because they do not have the linguistic capacity to maintain it over many generations. There are no 'ancient tales' in chimp culture, because chimps lack the ability to tell tales.

Any us-vs-them behaviour in chimps reflects the current social hierarchy, or the current tribal divisions of the day. They do not reflect ancient (more than a few generations) divisions. You will not see chimps in group-vs-group conflict over who's great-great-grandfather was better than the other's.

No, it was the development of the human line over 5-6 million years that *created* the capacity for long-term stable culture. Thus, it is impossible that this ability was the *cause* of the initial split.

The only reasonable conclusion is that human-chimp divergence occurred according to typical speciation patterns. Most likely, it was that our common ancestor inhabited two distinct niches, the tree-filled jungle forest, and the tree-sparse savannah. These two niches were either geographically isolated, which allows for allopatric speciation, or they were connected along a gradient (from more-forest to more-savannah), which allows for parapatric speciation.

Due to the different requirements for survival in these two different environments, the groups gradually acquired distinct genetic differences, and eventually were unable (or unlikely) to breed with each other, causing the genetic isolation commonly referred to as speciation.

Once these genetic differences became significant, it is possible that us-vs-them-ism aided in keeping the groups separate. But the differences needed to develop first. There needed to be a long period of adaptation to different environments, such that long-lasting differences (rather than the superficial differences of 'racism') would be stably passed down in two distinct groups (proto-chimps and proto-humans).

In other words, there would have had to have been *real* genetic groups, rather than culturally transmitted stereotypes, for us-vs-them-ism to work as a mechanism for keeping the groups separate. Without real genetic groups, and without cultural stereotypes (due to lack of stable culture), there would have been nothing stable for us-vs-them-ism to work on.

So, in my view, the most rational hypothesis is that humans and chimps diverged for the same reasons other species diverge, and then later humans acquired more-stable cultural transmission.

You may want to do some reading on modern versions of group-selection theory, as espoused by scientists such as David Sloan Wilson, for a different perspective. Be forewarned, however, that group selection is controversial in biology, and there have not been any convincing demonstrations that group selection is truly distinct from the selfish-gene interpretation put forward by Dawkins. Still, group selection can be enlightening to read about. I tend to think that groups may be defined by cultural memes, rather than some form of genetic definition. However, memes are even more controversial than group selection, so there you go.

Quote:

I think we had genetic purity in geographic locations because of racist attitudes within societies. For example, when our ancestors migrated from Africa to northern Europe and Asia, the big challenge became surviving the winter. We needed lighter skin to absorb more sunlight. There were random variations that gave advantages to light skinned people. The people with dark skin would have had problems, they would be sick and lethargic from lack of Vitamin D in the winter. Because of this perhaps the idea that light skinned people were superior to dark skinned people became a prevalent idea in the society. This 'racism' actually sped up the adaptation of humans to arctic climates. In tropical climates there was racism against light skinned people that could not handle the intense sun.

A more likely explanation, given the facts of history, is that once Europeans developed the technology to travel quickly to various parts of the world (i.e. sailing ships), and they wanted to colonize those 'primitive' lands, they came up with a rationalization that these people weren't actually fully human. And since most of them had darker skin, naturally that meant that whites were superior. They *looked* for the obvious difference that would explain their superior technology, and they assumed that this obvious difference was the cause. They didn't imagine that they had superior technology due simply to accidents of history and geography.

Racism came from colonialism, as a way to justify stealing land from other people.

Quote:

I agree with much of what you write, but I think you sometimes fall into the trap of Political Correctness. We don't want rational atheism to turn into the church of political correctness. Yes, racism and religion in the modern world probably have a net destructive effect on society and individuals.

But there is this politically correct idea that racism is evil, produced by some kind of devil in men's souls. Racism like religion is a natural phenomena, we should understand them as such. They may have aided individuals and tribes in past as far as survival and adaptation, they also lead to a lot of war and conflict. But with globalization and modern technology and understanding they both need to fade away.

I, personally, am not arguing against your ideas about racism because of a PC motivation. Prior to my current views, I was a PC racist: I was against racial discrimination, but I still considered myself 'white' (even though we're different, we should be treated equally). Now I don't even consider the concept of 'white' or 'black' races as legitimate in any sense. So, it is not because of political correctness that I'm arguing against your ideas, it is because I think your ideas are mistaken. Not that there's anything wrong with being mistaken, either!

Racism is a recent phenomenon, in historical terms, and a tiny speck in evolutionary terms. Groupism is likely an ancient phenomenon. It would be interesting to see if chimps develop cultural groups, such as cliques/fraternities or long-standing (multiple generation) tribes, rather than mere coalitions or families. I would tend to think that they develop groups out of immediate need, such as social or political struggles, or out of friendship, and also that their tribes are only loosely defined for maybe two or three generations max. There is probably a lot of inter-tribal breeding that makes the tribe more a survival group (safety in numbers), rather than a cultural group (Hatfields vs. McCoys).

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Stop and

Hambydammit wrote:

Stop and think about what you're saying for a second, ok?  Chimps and bonobos don't swim.  That's probably why they became separate species.  However, they both survived in their own environments -- environments in which swimming wasn't important!  Our earliest ancestors also had their own environments, and swimming was possibly involved in our evolutionary success, though this is nothing more than speculation at this point as far as I know.

Have been reading about the Aquatic ape hypothesis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatic_ape_hypothesis

Hambydammit wrote:

Even so, you must remember that evolution doesn't program females to prefer males who have something that will be beneficial in the future, which is what you're suggesting -- whether you know it or not. 

What I'm suggesting is that males that could swim were seen by as being more healthy and a better mate because they got more food. The males that could swim had hooded noses. So attractiveness became associated with having a human like instead of chimp like nose. This idea or instinct of what is attracive was passed down the generations. Whether it is social or instinctual is a good guess. But obviosly a human type nose became an attractive feature in the mating game. The same may be true of walking upright, this became seen as attractive.

Hambydammit wrote:

Seriously, dude.  I wish you would read more and type less.  I think I'm going to stop typing now because you've never listened to anything I say anyway.

The more one reads, the more questions one has. I do listen, but I question because you seem to have a bias toward what is politically correct.

Hambydammit wrote:

You're right, EXC.  All our ancestors went around hating on each other because of the shape of their nose, and black people are inferior to whites because they have wide noses.  You're right.  Go get yourself a hood and burn some crosses.

Why are you making shit up about what I wrote? I even wrote specifically that the racism worked both ways with people in the arctic and tropical climates. You are engaging in the worst form of science and argumentation, to accuse someone of racism just for suggesting a possible explaination. Stick to facts and the evidence if you disagree with someone.

Then why do we have racism in our species? Your explanation seems to be that some kind of a devil suddenly appeared in our souls when people migrated across the continents in recent history. Isn't our explanation about all things is that they are natural phenomena? So anyone that has a hypothesis about racism that is not PC is automatically assumed to be of the KKK.

But looks like I've sinned against the church of political correctness. Apparently the only explanation of racism is that some people just have a devil in them or they are just plain stupid. It can never be rationally understood any other way. Oh, please forgive me high priest of the church of politically correct explanation of everything.

I have been a racist to notice that all the people in the 100M Olympic sprint were black. While all the swimmers were white. I should have known this was just a coincidence. How can I erase the memory of seeing this and become a PC person or am I doomed to the hell of being unenlightened?

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:I have been a

EXC wrote:
I have been a racist to notice that all the people in the 100M Olympic sprint were black. While all the swimmers were white. I should have known this was just a coincidence. How can I erase the memory of seeing this and become a PC person or am I doomed to the hell of being unenlightened?

There are several possible explanations for such differences in high-performance displays. Only a few of those explanations have to do with genetics.

Here's a quick list off the top of my head for non-genetic explanations for these kinds of differences: Some cultures just happen to emphasize one sport over another; some cultures do not have access to the same equipment than other cultures, for example running takes very little equipment to practice, whereas swimming requires a large pool that is maintained and cleaned and kept available for a sports team (as opposed to a communal swimming hole where anyone and their dog can swim, and get in the way of an athlete trying to do laps); some cultures live in environments that make it easier or more desirable to practice a certain sport over another (for example, you don't get many ski-jumpers from Africa, but lots from Switzerland).

Of the genetic reasons, the most important one is known as the bell-curve effect. There are two variations of this effect.

Tail-end amplification. In a bell-curve (or, normal distribution), you have a big lump of people in the middle, and much smaller 'tails' at each extreme. There are very few extremely tall people, and very few extremely short people, but there are lots and lots of people who are 'close to average'.

Now, imagine you take two groups of people and measure them on some characteristic (how fast they can run). Both groups will have a bell-curve distribution. Now, imagine that one group has a very very slight difference in performance of the average. Say, on average, a person from group A can run 100m in 30 seconds, and a person from group B can run 100m in 30.5 seconds. Now, there is a lot of variation in each group. Some people can only run 100m in 45 seconds, some can run as fast as 10 seconds.

The bell curves overlap almost completely, but there is small, tiny little difference in the mean (average).

But statistically, what that means is that if you look at the tail of the bell-curve at the highest end, you will see that the small difference in the mean leads to a quite large difference in the tails. Whereas those who can run faster than 30 seconds from A and B is 50.01% to 49.99%, those who can run faster than 11s may be closer to 75% to 25%, because we are looking only at the tail end of things.

Try it your self: Draw a bell-curve on a piece of paper. It doesn't even have to be exact, just an approximation will illustrate it. Now, take another piece of paper and trace out the curve from the sheet below it. Shift the piece of paper just slightly, say 2 millimetres, and trace out the curve below it again. Now, look very closely at the tail end. Even though you only shifted it by 2 mm, you will see a large difference in the tails, proportionally. Draw a vertical line (think of the Olympic qualifications cut-off) near the very end of the two tails. You will see that one tail will have an area significantly greater than the other tail.

So, while the curves only barely differ when taken as a whole, there is a much bigger difference when you only take the extremes.

This is tail-end amplification of minor differences.

The other kind of bell-curve effect is when you have differences in variation. If the two groups have the same average/mean, but one group has a slightly higher variation in the variable, then the group with more variation will have a significantly higher representation at the tail-end of the spectrum. This time the key is not a shift in the mean, but a widening of one bell-curve over the other. Even a small shift in variation can lead to a large over-representation at the extreme ends, similar to that in the previous example.

To do this, you'd have to draw two slightly different bell-curves. For example, you could draw one that is 2 mm wider than the other. Then, line them up so that both are on exactly the same mean, and look at the tails again. Again, one tail will have a significantly greater area than the other above a certain cut-off point.

So, it is not accurate to look at extreme tail-end measurements, such as high-performance athletes at the Olympics. You have to look at the overall population and compare entire groups to entire groups. Otherwise, you will get confounding measurements such as when you notice that most winners of the 100m have black skin. It could simply be that the overall genetic variation of African populations is higher than in European populations. And since we know this is the case (since Europeans descended from a small offshoot population out of Africa, they have less genetic variation overall than Africans), then it is not a valid conclusion to say that the entire population of blacks is significantly faster than the entire population of whites.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:The more one reads,

Quote:
The more one reads, the more questions one has. I do listen, but I question because you seem to have a bias toward what is politically correct.

I'm pretty sure this is the most insane thing I've ever heard said about me.  You obviously live on a different planet, where politically correct means something entirely different than what it means in this one.

This is so bizarre I can't even think about anything else to say about it.

As far as the aquatic ape theory, I notice that Wiki mentions the symposium in 1991 that basically concluded that while there is some evidence that aquatic environments may have provided a certain amount of selection pressure, there's no reason to conclude that it was either a 1) strong influence or 2) a significant factor in the Homo-Pan split.

Quote:
 Why are you making shit up about what I wrote? I even wrote specifically that the racism worked both ways with people in the arctic and tropical climates. You are engaging in the worst form of science and argumentation, to accuse someone of racism just for suggesting a possible explaination. Stick to facts and the evidence if you disagree with someone.

I'm making shit up because there's no particular reason to stick with the facts when talking to you.  You have your own little universe, and I figure nothing I say can penetrate it, so what the hell?

Quote:
Then why do we have racism in our species?

Do you need it in really big print?  Because of Us-Them instincts.  How many different people need to say it to you?

Quote:
Your explanation seems to be that some kind of a devil suddenly appeared in our souls when people migrated across the continents in recent history.

No, you seem incapable of reading.  Racism is a product of Us-Them instincts which only became possible when people with superficially significant differences came into contact with each other, which happened extremely recently in our evolutionary history.  If there are no "races" to hate on, there's no racism.

Quote:
So anyone that has a hypothesis about racism that is not PC is automatically assumed to be of the KKK.

I'm sorry the "politically correct" version happens to be correct in this case.  By the way, what about this do you think is politically correct?  Nobody is saying we aren't prone to racism.  We are.  It's not something we're taught by our parents (although it can be reinforced by them) and it's typically exacerbated when people try to just ignore it and pretend like it doesn't exist.  That doesn't sound PC to me.

Quote:
But looks like I've sinned against the church of political correctness.

No, EXC.  Your universe doesn't correspond with scientific reality... again.

Quote:
Apparently the only explanation of racism is that some people just have a devil in them or they are just plain stupid.

No, EXC.  It's a manifestation of a survival instinct.  I've told you that in three posts now.

Quote:
It can never be rationally understood any other way. Oh, please forgive me high priest of the church of politically correct explanation of everything.

Fuck off.

Quote:
 I have been a racist to notice that all the people in the 100M Olympic sprint were black.

Yeah, gee.  And almost all baseball players are white or Dominican.  Only one golfer is black, and he's not really black.  He's mixed.  So let me get this straight.  You can't think of any reason why some sports might appeal to people of a certain race and others to another race?  You don't think perhaps there's something else in the world that might effect that?  

Dude, is tennis biologically better suited to blonde rich girls than inner city blacks, or is it possible that only the parents of rich blonde girls can afford to devote their whole life to their precious daughters' tennis careers?

Books about atheism

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Yeah,

Hambydammit wrote:

Yeah, gee.  And almost all baseball players are white or Dominican.  Only one golfer is black, and he's not really black.  He's mixed.  So let me get this straight.  You can't think of any reason why some sports might appeal to people of a certain race and others to another race?  You don't think perhaps there's something else in the world that might effect that?  

Dude, is tennis biologically better suited to blonde rich girls than inner city blacks, or is it possible that only the parents of rich blonde girls can afford to devote their whole life to their precious daughters' tennis careers?

I'm going to venture a guess that economics are more of a factor in sports than race is. Tennis lessons are expensive, as is the gear needed  to play hockey or golf.  Even a baseball bat, jersey, cleats, bat, and a glove can set you back $500. By way of comparison, a basketball and sneakers are cheap. The chosen sport of a person probably has a lot to do with what they or their parents can afford.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC, you're postulating a

EXC, you're postulating a speciation event based primarily upon sexual selection.  This is thorny territory.  For one thing, evolutionary biologists are actually quite conflicted on the power of sexual selection as a contributor to speciation events.  It's extremely difficult to find a model organism that 1) breeds quickly enough to study and 2) isn't loaded with thousands of other variables that may effect speciation.  The best available research on this subject is not conclusive on the power of sexual selection within grasshoppers, which can be grown by the thousands in controlled artificial habitats--how are you so confident that your pet theory is valid when we have the bones, footprints and teeth of a very few individuals from which to work?  You're shooting at the moon here, brother.  Reign that shit in.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:EXC, you're

Quote:
EXC, you're postulating a speciation event based primarily upon sexual selection.  This is thorny territory.  For one thing, evolutionary biologists are actually quite conflicted on the power of sexual selection as a contributor to speciation events.

If one were interested in reading about sexual selection, "The Mating Mind" by Geoffry Miller would be a decent starting point.  While it's my opinion that Miller takes a little more liberty than he is due in speculating about the extent of sexual selection in human cognitive development, he certainly does a good idea of explaining how males develop displays of conspicuous consumption, how runaway selection can lead to pronounced features, and several other better established consequences of sexual selection.

Oh, and EXC... you know DDA is a biologist, right?  You really should consider listening to him.  He knows his shit.

Books about atheism

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:EXC,

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

EXC, you're postulating a speciation event based primarily upon sexual selection.  This is thorny territory.  For one thing, evolutionary biologists are actually quite conflicted on the power of sexual selection as a contributor to speciation events.  It's extremely difficult to find a model organism that 1) breeds quickly enough to study and 2) isn't loaded with thousands of other variables that may effect speciation.  The best available research on this subject is not conclusive on the power of sexual selection within grasshoppers, which can be grown by the thousands in controlled artificial habitats--how are you so confident that your pet theory is valid when we have the bones, footprints and teeth of a very few individuals from which to work?  You're shooting at the moon here, brother.  Reign that shit in.

Well suppose the Aquatic Ape theory is true and then our ancestor that could swim would survive better. They would tend to have hooded noses that allowed them to swim. So would the women that found men attractive with hooded noses have a higher survival rate than women that didn't find it attractive? So is the sense of what is physically attractive also a product of evolution and a product of natural selection? Wouldn't there be a racist bias against tribes that did not look like us?

I grew up in the northern US and there was an idea among many whites that blacks were lazy. Now this is a ridiculous claim given the fact that blacks were brought the USA in the first place because they couldn't get whites to work there ass off for little pay in hot sun. So the greed drove them to get slaves from Africa. But were white people in the south really lazy or was is it just that they could not work out in the hot sun picking cotton because they did not have the genetics to do this kind of work?

Black skin produces Vitamin D at a rate that is 20-30 less than white people. The symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency is being lethargic or as some may call it laziness. So aren't black people in the winter a kind of fish out of water? And white people that would have to survive out in the hot tropical sun also a fish out of water?

I'm not arguing for racism, I'm just trying to understand it. This racism doesn't make since now that science understands Vitamin deficiencies and sun overexposure and can prevent these conditions.

What seems to be different about humans than grasshoppers is they we can spread ideas(via language) among our member. So things like racism and religion can spread around the societies. Sometimes the ideas can speed up adaptation and sometime the ideas can be overall destructive to the society.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:I grew up in the

EXC wrote:

I grew up in the northern US and there was an idea among many whites that blacks were lazy. Now this is a ridiculous claim given the fact that blacks were brought the USA in the first place because they couldn't get whites to work there ass off for little pay in hot sun. So the greed drove them to get slaves from Africa. But were white people in the south really lazy or was is it just that they could not work out in the hot sun picking cotton because they did not have the genetics to do this kind of work?

Seriously? Are you seriously posing this question like it's a real question? Those people were slaves. They worked because otherwise they would get whipped or otherwise abused. So they had a choice between working outside and a whipping. I don't think productivity can boil down to their genetic ... anything, actually.

Okay, look: I understand your curiosity about these things, because in the States, it's terrible to even bring up in conversation. Everyone gets all weird. But trying to compare the laziness of different groups of people is fruitless. Equally so is the pursuit of some kind of species difference starting from minor genetic variation. And I mean MINOR variation.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Well suppose the

Quote:
Well suppose the Aquatic Ape theory is true and then our ancestor that could swim would survive better. 

They would be more fit than those within their group, EXC.  By the time this (possibly) happened, it was two different groups.  It wasn't proto-humans choosing between other proto-humans and proto-chimps.

Quote:
So would the women that found men attractive with hooded noses have a higher survival rate than women that didn't find it attractive?

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Sexual selection is ONE type of natural selection.  You seem hung up on this as if only female mate selection drives evolution.  It doesn't work that way.

Quote:
 So is the sense of what is physically attractive also a product of evolution and a product of natural selection?

You're just bouncing around.  You're not making an argument.  Female mate preference is a product of evolution and is ONE part of natural selection.

Quote:
 Wouldn't there be a racist bias against tribes that did not look like us?

Racism needs races.  "Race" is an arbitrary superficial delineation between groups of humans who have been geographically separated long enough to manifest different physical characteristics as a group.

You don't seem to understand the evolutionary environment when this aquatic ape speciation event would have occurred.  There was no geographic separation sufficient to allow two groups to form races.  No races.  No racism.

How hard is this to grasp?

Quote:
I grew up in the northern US and there was an idea among many whites that blacks were lazy. Now this is a ridiculous claim given the fact that blacks were brought the USA in the first place because they couldn't get whites to work there ass off for little pay in hot sun.

Fucking hell, EXC.  Are you going to talk about American history or evolutionary racism?  You understand this doesn't have anything to do with anything, right?

Quote:
 So the greed drove them to get slaves from Africa. But were white people in the south really lazy or was is it just that they could not work out in the hot sun picking cotton because they did not have the genetics to do this kind of work?

They had superior technology and the exact same genetics as the slaves.  Superior technology allowed them to be lazier.

Quote:
 Black skin produces Vitamin D at a rate that is 20-30 less than white people. The symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency is being lethargic or as some may call it laziness.

Wearing burkas also reduces vitamin D absorption.  So does staying inside all day while the slaves work outside.  So does living in high latitudes in the winter.  So does carrying an umbrella on sunny days.

Try to recall that slaves worked in the HOT SUN while the masters sat in the COOL SHADE.  Where did slaves live before they came to America?  In... what was that?  OH YEAH... the HOT SUN.  Their bodies adapted to increased exposure to sun by darkening the skin.

Quote:
So aren't black people in the winter a kind of fish out of water?

Black people living in very high latitudes during the winter would be well advised to take vitamin D suplements.  That's why dark skin showed up in tropical latitudes, not the Arctic Circle.

Tell me again, where did all the pre-humans live?  Oh yeah... in one tiny part of North Africa.

Quote:
And white people that would have to survive out in the hot tropical sun also a fish out of water?

Put white people in the tropics for a couple thousand generations and you'll get black people.  Put black people in North Canada for a couple thousand generations and you'll get white people.  It's just a difference in how THE SAME GENES express.

Quote:
I'm not arguing for racism, I'm just trying to understand it.

I can't use any smaller words.  Race is what happens when the exact same genes in two groups experience markedly different environments.  That's it.  Racism is what happens when people from one of those environments recognize that people from another environment are not their close kin.

Quote:
This racism doesn't make since now that science understands Vitamin deficiencies and sun overexposure and can prevent these conditions.

Vitamin D deficiency doesn't cause racism.

Quote:
What seems to be different about humans than grasshoppers is they we can spread ideas(via language) among our member.

Other species can transmit ideas.  Grasshoppers don't have big enough brains.

Quote:
So things like racism and religion can spread around the societies.

No.  No. No. No. No.

For fuck's sake, EXC.  Religion is a model of the universe.  Racism is an expression of an instinctive drive that misfires in modern society.  Yes, racism can be reinforced by culture.  Yes, religion can be reinforced by culture.  Racism can be turned into a quasi-religious dogma, a la the KKK.

The difference is that religion (and race-based religion) is several levels above racism.  Racism is fear, apprehension, and distrust of those who are physically very dissimilar from us.  That's it.  It's an instinctive reaction.

Quote:
Sometimes the ideas can speed up adaptation and sometime the ideas can be overall destructive to the society.

Oh, hell, why don't we just toss out a broadly generalized scientific prediction?  Might as well.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Ergh... Let me clarify the

Ergh... Let me clarify the first reply.  By the time you had a swimming proto-human and a non-swimming proto-chimp, there was no more interbreeding.  This kind of evolutionary change happens gradually over many generations -- and I mean at least hundreds, probably thousands.  There is absolutely no way to know what females would prefer during these generations.  They had no way of knowing that in a thousand generations, swimming would lead to a speciation event, or that eventually, their sexual choice would be the catalyst for the invention of the internet, which would allow uneducated simpletons to speculate about evolutionary mechanics they didn't even begin to understand.

You're trying to suggest that females choose what is best for the species.  They don't necessarily, and in fact, they often choose things that end up being bad for the species.  If you had taken the time to read the books I recommended, you would understand that sexual selection as a predictor of evolutionary success is a dead end.

Books about atheism

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:But were white

EXC wrote:
But were white people in the south really lazy or was is it just that they could not work out in the hot sun picking cotton because they did not have the genetics to do this kind of work?
But that's not the reason slaves were worked, EXC, and you know it.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Race is

Hambydammit wrote:
Race is what happens when the exact same genes in two groups experience markedly different environments.  That's it.  Racism is what happens when people from one of those environments recognize that people from another environment are not their close kin.

Just wanted to make sure this was repeated. Kinda sums it up.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Ergh...

Hambydammit wrote:

Ergh... Let me clarify the first reply.  By the time you had a swimming proto-human and a non-swimming proto-chimp, there was no more interbreeding.  

Seems to be contradicted by this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4991470.stm

"episodes of hybridisation between the emerging species."

And what do you mean by "swimming proto-human" since this ability to swim was a gradual change. Also, guys are horny. Even today, I think there are plenty of human males today that would fuck a chimpanzee if no human female was available.

So, if this is true and humans and chimps have had episodes of interbreeding of the past 6 million years, where did this human bias against other apes come from? There had to have been a racist bias among proto-humans against apes that could not swim, talk or walk upright. They probably would have waged war against the 'inferiors' as well.

P.S. Hamby it's obvious that you use the same tactics as religion to force conformity. You can't stick to facts or take anyone questioning your position. You have your doctrines of the faith that no one must question. You pretty much prove my point and demonstrate that you don't have rational atheism here but rather a cult of conformity.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:And what do you mean

Quote:
And what do you mean by "swimming proto-human" since this ability to swim was a gradual change. Also, guys are horny. Even today, I think there are plenty of human males today that would fuck a chimpanzee if no human female was available.

Honestly, dude.  This conversation is over.  Read a fucking book.  You don't need to be embarrassing yourself like this.

Books about atheism

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:
Race is what happens when the exact same genes in two groups experience markedly different environments.  That's it.  Racism is what happens when people from one of those environments recognize that people from another environment are not their close kin.

Just wanted to make sure this was repeated. Kinda sums it up.

Not the way I see it. To me it seems to be attitude of the society passed down from one generation to the next, a kind of social virus like religion and superstition. To me children are naturally curious about someone from a different race, not necessarily biased against them. But often the parents and older generations pass on their racist ideas to the next generation.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Honestly, dude.  This conversation is over.  Read a fucking book.  You don't need to be embarrassing yourself like this.

Anything else I should do to absolve my sins? The shame and guilt is just unbearable. Do you do confessionals on Saturdays?

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Hambydammit

EXC wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Anything else I should do to absolve my sins? The shame and guilt is just unbearable. Do you do confessionals on Saturdays?

EXC, seriously. It's like you've ignored (or worse, not read) everything we've written in response to you. From my perspective, it's a waste of time to continue to respond. You'll just ignore what I say. For example, you ignored my last couple of posts where I addressed exactly the concepts you talk about in your recent post.

Either respond to what we've written, or stop expecting us to continue to reply to you.

If you don't understand something, I'm willing to help, but if you're going to be willfully ignorant, even after I've taken significant time to address your ideas, then I have absolutely no time for you. I agree with Hamby. Read a fucking book. Or better yet, take a first-year university or college level course on biology, because clearly you'll need a prof, a textbook, and several TAs to help you through your persistent misconceptions.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:And what do you

EXC wrote:

Okay, you're just joking. I thought you were looking for a serious answer to your questions. There are guys who will fuck sheep, too. That's not "interbreeding". You're just making shit up now.

EXC wrote:
P.S. Hamby it's obvious that you use the same tactics as religion to force conformity. You can't stick to facts or take anyone questioning your position. You have your doctrines of the faith that no one must question. You pretty much prove my point and demonstrate that you don't have rational atheism here but rather a cult of conformity.

Seriously? I've disagreed with Hamby a LOT. He didn't "excommunicate" me. In fact, he agreed that I should be a moderator. That doesn't really fit with your assessment. If there's a cult of conformity, here, it's in a collective understanding and interpretation of the facts available in any secondary school biology textbook. Agreeing on solid fact is hardly conformity. You were trying to link race and speciation, for fuck's sake! That's so far out of the realm of reasonable for someone familiar with even the briefest course in biology that you predictably got a lot of responses like, "wait, what?"

Asking you to educate yourself ISN'T indoctrination. It's really difficult to discuss something with someone if they don't want to learn about the topic they're discussing. Throw us a bone, here.

It reminds me of an old joke:

A guy prays to God every day that he would win the lottery. Every day, he prays, "Oh God, please let me win the lottery. You're the greatest. Amen."

Years of this. The man, though weary of his quest, still prays every day, "Dear God, though you have not seen it in your wisdom to grant me this one thing I ask, please still consider letting me win the lottery. Amen."

Another few years. Finally, the man cries out to God, with bitter tears in his eyes, "God, I've prayed every day that you might grant me this one thing I ask, and nothing. All these years I've been good and faithful, and to no avail! What kind of cruel God are you?"

The sky parts, and God appears. "Dude! Meet me half way: buy a ticket!"

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:I grew up in

EXC wrote:

Look, you really need to educate yourself with some primary sources before you try this. The fact is that slavery was not introduced to North America until the middle of the seventeenth century. At that time, it was not about getting people to “work their asses of in the hot sun”.

In fact, slavery was first legalized in Massachusetts and then a couple of years later in Connecticut before the practice moved south. Further, there was no loss of people prior to that time will to do hard work for crap pay. And the largest number of such people were white. The phenomenon was called indentured servitude and basically amounted to people from Europe paying for passage to North America by agreeing to work in what amounted to slavery conditions for a few years upon arriving. However, such servitude contracts did expire and left many newly freed white people to compete with the established population.

The actual reason for the introduction of African slavery comes from the fact that realistically, nobody would take a lifetime servitude contract. That and the fact that slavery was already widespread in Africa due to inter tribal conflict and the taking of prisoners of war. In fact, the history of Africans being kidnapped to North America is much less than is widely (and erroneously) believed. It was much easier to fill a ship with slaves purchased on the open market from other Africans than to spend weeks or months filling up a ship based on kidnappings.

So yah, there was a greed motive but neither it nor the details are quite what you want them to be.

EXC wrote:
Black skin produces Vitamin D at a rate that is 20-30 less than white people. The symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency is being lethargic or as some may call it laziness. So aren't black people in the winter a kind of fish out of water? And white people that would have to survive out in the hot tropical sun also a fish out of water?

Hello, where did that come from? The symptoms of vitamin D deficiency are easy enough to look up and lethargy is not one of them. Malformed bones and osteoporosis are. The main reason why slaves did not work as hard as free men had quite a bit to do with the utter futility of the fact that one's labors would not lead to building a life for oneself.

Look, if your idea of lethargy was the case, then it would be clear from 1864 on that black people remained lethargic when freed. Incredible to think but the fact is that the black man of today is just as motivated as the white man and the difference is not caused by the widespread adoption of wonder bread.

EXC wrote:
I'm not arguing for racism, I'm just trying to understand it.

Then try reading up on the matter as others have said and not just speculating based on your lack of knowledge in this area.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=