God/Prime Mover is necessary

desertwolf9
Theist
desertwolf9's picture
User is offlineOffline
God/Prime Mover is necessary

Take a look at the universe. It's a series of cause & effect reactions. However, there can't be an infinite series of causers. That is impossible. There HAS to be a prime mover, and that mover is god or anything analogous to such. Saying that there are no beginnings is ridiculous IMO, all one has to to do is follow them back.

Some of you might say " but why assume that there must be a beginning when we have yet to encounter it?"

Because it's illogical - just because we haven't encountered it doesn't make it not so. You simply have to decide whether you want to rely on logic, or data.

Hence, because of the necessity of a prime mover, there must be a god. Therefore, isn't it more reasonable to believe in god than to not to?

Suffice it to say that I believe there must some kind of first principle, unmoved mover, uncaused cause, what have you, whether it be the universe or something else.

Thoughts?

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:chuckg6261982

RatDog wrote:

chuckg6261982 wrote:

It's not that they don't believe in the descriptions.  It's that God transcends the realm of sense experience and therefore describing him in human language inevitably contradicts his true nature. 

Ok, you say we can not describe God’s true nature in human language.

Actually, let me qualify what I said.  Positively describing him in human language inevitably contradicts his true nature.  For example, if I said, "God is perfect", that is a sentence that is in the PRESENT tense.  But that would seemingly contradict the premise that God exists outside of time.  Intrinsic in the use of the copula is would be the presupposition of a present state of events.  But if God exists outside of time, then God neither is, was, or will be anything.  Therefore, any positive descriptions of God have to necessarily be metaphorical in order to be true.

By contrast, you could describe God negatively without invoking the use of metaphor.  If I say, "God is not visible", then I am not bounding him up with temporality or spatiality.  The sentence is true insofar that it describes a temporal  and/or spatial state of affairs, but its negativity does not necessarily place God within that state.

Quote:
You have repeatedly described god in terms which aren't metaphors.

If I say, "God created the universe", then that is a metaphor.  It's a sentence in past tense, which would literally imply that at some point in time, God created time, which is contradictory.   See above re: positive descriptions of God.  So yes, I have consistently used metaphor in my descriptions, but I just never said so because I assumed that you were smart enough to know that.  Or did I give you too much credit?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982 wrote:Okay,

chuckg6261982 wrote:

Okay, one last response and then you can have the last word (I assume you will want to get it in to make it appear that you've won the game).

Cool! You're so nice.

Quote:

The bible makes it clear that God is an immaterial being.  The bible makes several references to God being spirit and invisible

Ah! I see the problem now. I was talking about God in the generic. You were talking about the Christian God. Gotcha.

That explains a lot.

Quote:

(Lots of Bible verses snipped.)

Let me expain it from this angle:  The central doctrine is that mankind, when left to their own devices, will inevitably succumb to temptation.  Humans are inherently lustful, gluttonous, selfish, jealous, competitive, etc.  And so humans need to be taught to take control of temptation, so to speak.  So God needs to find some way to guide us.  To do that, he needs to convey the information in some way.  Now he could have done this in many different ways.  He could have manipulated the winds such that they would blow messages in the sand, or he could have made a thunderstorm occur everytime somebody did something wrong... but he felt that most practical way to do so was through the existence of a human being, because that is the level that we exist on.

So God is giving us information using a human form as a means of conveying that information.  This does not contradict God's essential nature, which is that of an immaterial being.  For example, I'm conveying information to you through various computer graphics.  Would you say that chuckg6261982 is equivalent to the human graphics?  I'm merely manifesting myself through those means.

What, you're quoting the Bible to tell me what Christians believe? I'm not sure if you've noticed, but much modern Christian belief is hardly based on a whole reading of the Bible. Here's what I've noticed about Christians: there are as many different forms of Christianity as there are Christians.

I was married to an intelligent, educated fundamentalist. (Yeah, I know -- it's a seeming contradiction.) She, and her church (something called "Foursquare" ) believed that God walked the earth, embodied as Christ. We had many, many discussions about this. I could hardly be mistaken. So your assertion is just plain wrong. There are Christians who believe an aspect of God existed as a living person, however transiently.

Now, just because you believe one way does not negate the beliefs of others. She also said something like you say: "Those who don't believe like me aren't real Christians." That argument didn't fly for her, and it won't for you, either.

But, as I said, we were talking at cross-purposes. I apologize that I didn't make it clear enough in my first post that I was talking about generic God, and not the Christian God.

Quote:

Quote:
In fact, some Catholics believe that little round, flat wafers (that look just like the shadow of the earth as it crosses the moon) are really the body of Christ. Now that's physicality.

Ha.  You are simply parroting things that Sam Harris says, which I notice is a common pattern among this forum.  It's almost like a religion-- Sam Harrisism. 

Nope. I'm simply reporting what I'm seeing. One group of Catholics wanted a kid charged with kidnapping when he took a consecrated wafer instead of eating it. Others stated he was literally kidnapping Christ. PZ Meyers recieved threats from outraged Catholics for his wafer stunt, most stating the same thing: that he desecrated the body of Christ.

So, no, I'm not parroting Sam Harris. I've not even read Sam Harris. He is inconsequential to me, as I suspect he and I agree on many things. Why read things you already agree with, and already know?

Aaaanyway, I suspect this could've been an interesting conversation, had I known about our miscommunication right up front.

Hey, thanks for the last word!

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:I was

nigelTheBold wrote:

I was married to an intelligent, educated fundamentalist. (Yeah, I know -- it's a seeming contradiction.)

And she knew that you were an atheist before she married you?

How did that happen?

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982 wrote:Quote:In

chuckg6261982 wrote:

Quote:
In fact, some Catholics believe that little round, flat wafers (that look just like the shadow of the earth as it crosses the moon) are really the body of Christ. Now that's physicality.

Ha.  You are simply parroting things that Sam Harris says, which I notice is a common pattern among this forum.  It's almost like a religion-- Sam Harrisism. 

If you read the bible, even Jesus makes it clear that the teaching is not a literal one.  John 6:63-64:  "The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life."

But we're digressing.  We are talking about God.  "God" is referring to a particular being, not a genus.  All the monotheistic religions are talking about the same thing, though they may use different predicates to describe this being.  You could go back thousands of years and philosophers (even secular ones like Aristotle) would predicate him as being infinite and immaterial.  You want to argue that the concept of God was adjusted as natural science progressed and that is just not true.  Maybe they stopped EXPLAINING NATURAL EVENTS by invoking God, but the actual concept of God has not changed, or if it has, the change is so cursory that it would be nitpicking to even bring it up.

Well, I tell you what... here's some words from the Council of Trent.,

Quote:

In the august sacrament of the holy Eucharist, after the consecration of the bread and wine, our Lord Jesus Christ, true God and man, is truly, really, and substantially contained under the species of those sensible things. (1)

Immediately after the consecration the Veritable Body of our Lord and His veritable Blood, together with His soul and divinity, are under the species of bread and wine . . . as much is contained under either species as under both. (2)

By the consecration of the bread and of the wine a conversion is made of the whole substance of the bread into the substance of the Body of Christ our Lord, and of the whole substance of the wine into the substance of His Blood; which conversion is by the holy Catholic Church suitably and properly called transubstantiation. (3)

This is the official position of the Catholic Church, and has been since 1551. So, unless you're willing to tell me that the Pope and the College of Cardinals, who have the authority to alter Catholic Dogma, do not believe in the Catholic Dogma that they haven't altered, then I'm afraid you have to cede the point that some Catholics believe this, even if the Bible says they shouldn't. Which is what Nigel said.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually, if that's the

Actually, if that's the official position of the Catholic Church, then that's what ALL Catholics believe, unless they are heretics.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Eh, most members of a

Eh, most members of a religion do tend to be somewhat heretical these days, if not always. It's just impossible to keep any exchange of ideas pure and undiluted through multiple layers of lecturer-and-listener style communication. Just as we can't say that 'all Christians believe the bread and wine is a symbolic representation, because the Bible tells them it is', we can't say that 'all Catholics believe the bread and wine to be an act of literal ritual cannibalism, because Catholic dogma tells them it is'.

What we can say is that if those individuals with the authority to alter the dogma all do not believe in the claims of the dogma, then we can be reasonably sure they would at least have broached the idea of altering the dogma. We have seen no evidence that they have raised this suggestion, and so can feel reasonably comfortable in taking the position that at least some of them do believe it.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

Ralph Stewart
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
unknown god

Universe was created 13.7 billion years ago. Unknown cause. Why pick god for unknown? Why would anyone call for worship of unknown? Why come up with wish thinking for human afterlife and rules for getting there?

We are part of this Universe, enjoy it.

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums, Ralph

Welcome to the forums, Ralph Smiling 

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Visual_Paradox wrote: With

Visual_Paradox wrote:

With regard to the idea of transcending space-time, the notion makes no sense whatsoever. The word transcend does not make sense. They simply plaster the word into their writings and thoughts because they can think of the label without thinking of the thing that the label represents. And, fundamentally, the label does not represent anything, as indicated by their inability to define it, describe the substance that comprises it, describe the constitution of that substance, explain how it can act without time, think without time, or act or think forever through an infinite regress that comes to an end, and so on. Ask them what they believe concerning the creation of the universe, and they will say that god did it, but ask them what god means, and you get nothing in response. God, in their means, does not actually refer to anything. Considering that, how can they believe in something that, apparently, isn't anything? That requires a cognitive dissonance that they could not possibly maintain by confronting head on. If they tried confrontation, they would turn atheist. They combat the cognitive dissonance by moving to a higher level of abstraction, usually entrapped by a lot of symbology and emotion. They move the concept of god further away in their reasoning to try hiding the problems—they do not believe in god, they believe they believe in god.

It is impossible for us to imagine a being that transcends space and time because space and time is predicated of everything that we've experienced during our lifetime.  Whether knowledge is a priori or a posteriori, experience is necessary to set it into motion.  Therefore, it is impossible for us to imagine something that we've never experienced.  Yes, I could imagine a unicorn but that's only because I've experienced a horse and horns and I am able to put them together in my mind. 

I would make this comparison:  If you've attempted to enter 10,000 to the 10,000th power into a calculator, the calculator would go ballistic.  Its mind would just be scrambled.  Likewise, if in a human calculator, you subtracted space and time from something, our minds would just return "Error".  Yet the calculator does not deny the existence of 10,000 to the 10,000th power... and we should not deny the existence of a being that transcends space and time just because we cannot imagine it.

The task of philosophy in general is to look for the first principles of being.  Functionally, we go about our daily lives and engage in human discourse by invoking certain patterns and categories of understanding.  And it works for us.  But then when we look for an ultimate basis, everything breaks down.  For example, one of the patterns of our understanding is the notion that nothing can give existence to itself.  And functionally, this works for us.  And yet when we start to move down the chain, we realize that it no longer makes sense unless we assume that the chain started somewhere.  But then our understanding engages in a battle with itself:  On the one hand, we demand that something require something other than itself to give way to its existence.  And on the other hand, we also demand that everything has to have a beginning.  But how can there be a beginning unless there was something which both exists and never began to exist?  Then we find that the patterns we created for ourselves based on our a posteriori knowledge are not sufficient in themselves.

The main point that I want to get across is that once we enter this no man's land, we are all faced with the same problem that you are fleshing out.  You say that once we start talking about a being who transcends space and time, we can't explain it at all and that means that we believe in nothing.  Well misery loves company in this case because, in fact, anything that a scientist may posit as a principle for the origin of everything that is will fly in the face of our patterns of understanding.  To say that something came from nothing is even more illogical than saying that something was created by an infinite being.  And to say that there exists some static entity within the universe that always was, is, and always will be still flies in the face of our normal pattern of understanding.  So if you are looking for a theory of this sort that doesn't fly in the face of convention, you will not find it.

Visual_Paradox
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982 wrote:It is

chuckg6261982 wrote:
It is impossible for us to imagine a being that transcends space and time because space and time is predicated of everything that we've experienced during our lifetime. Whether knowledge is a priori or a posteriori, experience is necessary to set it into motion. Therefore, it is impossible for us to imagine something that we've never experienced. Yes, I could imagine a unicorn but that's only because I've experienced a horse and horns and I am able to put them together in my mind.

I would make this comparison: If you've attempted to enter 10,000 to the 10,000th power into a calculator, the calculator would go ballistic. Its mind would just be scrambled. Likewise, if in a human calculator, you subtracted space and time from something, our minds would just return "Error". Yet the calculator does not deny the existence of 10,000 to the 10,000th power... and we should not deny the existence of a being that transcends space and time just because we cannot imagine it.

The calculator returns an overflow error because it does not have a memory bank large enough for the calculation to take place. Your argument by analogy fails to persuade because the problem we have set out to discuss—that of the inclusion or exlusion of spacetime into our considerations of motion or causation—does not run into a problem of computational ability, memory overflow, or anything of the sort. The notion simply lacks coherence. No ontology or universe of discourse exists from which we can speak of causation without spacetime. The notion lacks meaning, unlack the commands that the calculator receives. A more appropriate analogy would consist of telling a calculator to compute the value of uggablav to the tollyknockled power. If we anthropomorphize the calculator and look at the input from its perspective, it would throw an error that said invalid input. A corrected analogy, however, would lead to the conclusion that one should not use such input for mathematical operations or theological discussions, which you argue against. Your argument by analogy cannot possibly work as you presented it, and it argues for my position when corrected. Your argument by analogy also fails in another way because analogizing mathematical operations to something without an ontology does not work because one cannot distinguish something from nothing if the something lacks an ontology, thus rendering it as nothing.

You said that we should not deny the existence of a being that transcends space and time just because we cannot imagine it. I agree, because denial involves the rejection of cognitive content, which can only exist for things that have an ontological status. On the other hand, however, we should also not accept it, because acceptance involves the affirmation of the cognitive content, which can only exist for things that have an ontological status. Without an ontological status, you cannot even think of it. You cannot believe in the existence of something you cannot think of. This goes back to the point I made before:

Visual_Paradox wrote:
That requires a cognitive dissonance that they could not possibly maintain by confronting head on. If they tried confrontation, they would turn atheist. They combat the cognitive dissonance by moving to a higher level of abstraction, usually entrapped by a lot of symbology and emotion. They move the concept of god further away in their reasoning to try hiding the problems—they do not believe in god, they believe they believe in god.

In short, you offered me some apologetics which I had heard before, but you did not effectively address my argument.

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Visual_Paradox wrote:The

Visual_Paradox wrote:

The calculator returns an overflow error because it does not have a memory bank large enough for the calculation to take place. Your argument by analogy fails to persuade because the problem we have set out to discuss—that of the inclusion or exlusion of spacetime into our considerations of motion or causation—does not run into a problem of computational ability, memory overflow, or anything of the sort. The notion simply lacks coherence. No ontology or universe of discourse exists from which we can speak of causation without spacetime. The notion lacks meaning, unlack the commands that the calculator receives. A more appropriate analogy would consist of telling a calculator to compute the value of uggablav to the tollyknockled power. If we anthropomorphize the calculator and look at the input from its perspective, it would throw an error that said invalid input. A corrected analogy, however, would lead to the conclusion that one should not use such input for mathematical operations or theological discussions, which you argue against. Your argument by analogy cannot possibly work as you presented it, and it argues for my position when corrected. Your argument by analogy also fails in another way because analogizing mathematical operations to something without an ontology does not work because one cannot distinguish something from nothing if the something lacks an ontology, thus rendering it as nothing.

It wasn't an argument from an analogy, it was a qualitative comparison that was meant to help you understand precisely what I was arguing, so you are wasting your time by simply focusing on that.  I KNOW that human beings are different from calculators.

Quote:
On the other hand, however, we should also not accept it, because acceptance involves the affirmation of the cognitive content, which can only exist for things that have an ontological status. Without an ontological status, you cannot even think of it. You cannot believe in the existence of something you cannot think of.

Using that logic, we should reject ANY theory regarding the first principles of being because, going back to the point I've made, any principle that we espouse will inevitably bring us into the no man's land of our understanding where everything breaks down.

I would argue that we should, in fact, go there.  And for centuries, that is precisely what great people like Aristotle, Plato, Aquinas, Socrates, Kant, Spinoza, Leibniz, Anselm, Augustine, etc. have done.  Let's theorize and go beyond our patterns.  Do not be fenced in by the world of sense experience.

Visual_Paradox
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982 wrote:It

chuckg6261982 wrote:
It wasn't an argument from an analogy, it was a qualitative comparison that was meant to help you understand precisely what I was arguing, so you are wasting your time by simply focusing on that. I KNOW that human beings are different from calculators.

I probably should have simply said analogy rather than argument by analogy. Regardless, you did not understand my argument. Your statements did not consist only of analogizing humans and calculators in a certain way, but also the sets of input. I argued that you cannot analogize the sets of inputs because the calculator has, in a manner of speaking, a universe of discourse from which to make sense of the input but humans do not, so the mathematical input may make sense but the theological input necessarily cannot until provided with a universe of discourse. I argued that humans should, like the calculator, recognize the invalid-input error.

chuckg6261982 wrote:
Using that logic, we should reject ANY theory regarding the first principles of being because, going back to the point I've made, any principle that we espouse will inevitably bring us into the no man's land of our understanding where everything breaks down.

I would argue that we should, in fact, go there. And for centuries, that is precisely what great people like Aristotle, Plato, Aquinas, Socrates, Kant, Spinoza, Leibniz, Anselm, Augustine, etc. have done. Let's theorize and go beyond our patterns. Do not be fenced in by the world of sense experience.

You did not understand this portion of my argument either. I argued that one can only accept or reject cognitive content. I also argued that the label of a thing ("god&quotEye-wink, nor the negative theological talk underlying it ("immaterial", "nontemporal", etc.), provide cognitive content for the brain to consider. I have no objection to the notion of first principles a priori, assuming that those principles have cognitive content behind them. If the first principles elucidated have cognitive content—that they mean something—then we can assess them. I have no objection to theorizing, so long as it actually says something meaningful.

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Visual_Paradox

Visual_Paradox wrote:

chuckg6261982 wrote:
It wasn't an argument from an analogy, it was a qualitative comparison that was meant to help you understand precisely what I was arguing, so you are wasting your time by simply focusing on that. I KNOW that human beings are different from calculators.

I probably should have simply said analogy rather than argument by analogy. Regardless, you did not understand my argument. Your statements did not consist only of analogizing humans and calculators in a certain way, but also the sets of input. I argued that you cannot analogize the sets of inputs because the calculator has, in a manner of speaking, a universe of discourse from which to make sense of the input but humans do not, so the mathematical input may make sense but the theological input necessarily cannot until provided with a universe of discourse. I argued that humans should, like the calculator, recognize the invalid-input error.

But my point was that our thought process is confined to a domain of discourse which CANNOT include God due to our limited categories of understanding, just as certain things are not in the domain of discourse for the calculator, like overly large numbers.  You could only list a finite amount of numbers that could be dealt with by a particular calculator because the calculator is limited.  So there are overt similarities between humans and calculators.

Quote:
You did not understand this portion of my argument either. I argued that one can only accept or reject cognitive content. I also argued that the label of a thing ("god&quotEye-wink, nor the negative theological talk underlying it ("immaterial", "nontemporal", etc.), provide cognitive content for the brain to consider.

I did understand your argument, but I do not think you've understood my rebuttal.  My point was that anytime we trespass upon the subject of, for lack of a better phrase, how it all began... we enter a zone which, from an intellectual standpoint, is "no holds barred".  This is true whether you posit a metaphysical or natural scientific explanation for the origin of the universe.  Thus, you will never get any sort of cognitive content.  You will end up with something that transcends our patterns of understanding or a priori categories. 

For example, take the Big Bang theory.  A scientist can argue that the universe obtained its current state by expanding from a previous state whereby it was a hot and dense singularity.  Okay, so we are still in our comfort zone intellectually, but what about when you keep going back?  Then we get claims like, "Well, prior to time, energy and matter existed in some form that we can't describe."  Then you are faced with the same problem that you claim we face with God;  no cognitive content.  Just a theory that we can utter in a sentence, but can't exhaust with any sort of positive definition or quality.

Discussions of first principles will necessarily take us out of our comfort zone and everything we thought could be adequate tools for making sense of things end up being of no use to us. 

That is the point that I was making.  We are limited to what we can understand because we are finite beings existing in a physical universe. 

Visual_Paradox
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982 wrote:But my

chuckg6261982 wrote:
But my point was that our thought process is confined to a domain of discourse which CANNOT include God due to our limited categories of understanding, just as certain things are not in the domain of discourse for the calculator, like overly large numbers. You could only list a finite amount of numbers that could be dealt with by a particular calculator because the calculator is limited. So there are overt similarities between humans and calculators.

The calculator, so to speak, understands the concepts involved. The calculator understands, for lack of a better term, that obtaining the value of a number to a certain power involves multiplying the number against itself a set number of times. No conceptual difficulty arises, only computational difficulties due to the data capacity of its memory banks, the speed of its processor, and the overall power draw from the battery. As I said, this does not represent a valid analogy for the situation where humans encounter negative theology. Humans and calculators may share the inability to compute certain equations, but that has no relevance to the discussion. Your analogy fails because the set of inputs do not have analogous features. Please do not make me repeat myself again.

chuckg6261982 wrote:
I did understand your argument, but I do not think you've understood my rebuttal. My point was that anytime we trespass upon the subject of, for lack of a better phrase, how it all began... we enter a zone which, from an intellectual standpoint, is "no holds barred". This is true whether you posit a metaphysical or natural scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. Thus, you will never get any sort of cognitive content. You will end up with something that transcends our patterns of understanding or a priori categories.

For example, take the Big Bang theory. A scientist can argue that the universe obtained its current state by expanding from a previous state whereby it was a hot and dense singularity. Okay, so we are still in our comfort zone intellectually, but what about when you keep going back? Then we get claims like, "Well, prior to time, energy and matter existed in some form that we can't describe." Then you are faced with the same problem that you claim we face with God; no cognitive content. Just a theory that we can utter in a sentence, but can't exhaust with any sort of positive definition or quality.

Discussions of first principles will necessarily take us out of our comfort zone and everything we thought could be adequate tools for making sense of things end up being of no use to us.

That is the point that I was making. We are limited to what we can understand because we are finite beings existing in a physical universe.

I understood your rebuttal perfectly well. I rejected it. Without cognitive content, there is nothing to accept—acceptance requires content to accept. You cannot believe what you cannot think. I don't know how I can make it any simpler for you to understand.

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Visual_Paradox wrote: The

Visual_Paradox wrote:

The calculator, so to speak, understands the concepts involved. The calculator understands, for lack of a better term, that obtaining the value of a number to a certain power involves multiplying the number against itself a set number of times. No conceptual difficulty arises, only computational difficulties due to the data capacity of its memory banks, the speed of its processor, and the overall power draw from the battery. As I said, this does not represent a valid analogy for the situation where humans encounter negative theology. Humans and calculators may share the inability to compute certain equations, but that has no relevance to the discussion. Your analogy fails because the set of inputs do not have analogous features. Please do not make me repeat myself again.

And I'm arguing to you that our inability to formulate a mental image of a being that is neither temporal nor spatial is not a conceptual difficulty.  It's a COMPUTATIONAL difficulty on our parts.  We know what space is and we know what time is and by default, we come to understand the negations.  But to predicate that to an actual being is something that we are computationally unable to do because everything that we've ever experienced outside of us is in space and time.

Quote:
I understood your rebuttal perfectly well. I rejected it. Without cognitive content, there is nothing to accept—acceptance requires content to accept. You cannot believe what you cannot think. I don't know how I can make it any simpler for you to understand.

Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean that I do not understand you.

The kind of cognitive content you want is something that fits under our categories of understanding.  If the universe had a creator, then these categories which we extrapolate from our experience of the universe wouldn't apply to this creator.  You are not going to get this cognitive content whether you talk about God or whether you talk about some energy field that existed in some other form.

Visual_Paradox
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982 wrote:And I'm

chuckg6261982 wrote:
And I'm arguing to you that our inability to posit formulate a mental image of a being that is neither temporal nor spatial is not a conceptual difficulty. It's a COMPUTATIONAL difficulty on our parts. We know what space is and we know what time is and by default, we come to understand the negations. But to predicate that to an actual being is something that we are computationally unable to do because everything that we've ever experienced outside of us is in space and time.

What you described is a conceptual difficulty. How do I know? Because we have difficulty with the concept—that's what conceptual difficulty means. What part of this do you not understand?

(Edit: Also, the notion of a concept necessarily involves cognitive content. To consider it a concept is to engage in circular reasoning. Nonetheless, if we accept that it has cognitive content for the sake of argument, it is a conceptual difficulty, rather than a computational one.)

chuckg6261982 wrote:
The kind of cognitive content you want is something that fits under our categories of understanding. If the universe had a creator, then these categories which we extrapolate from our experience of the universe wouldn't apply to this creator. You are not going to get this cognitive content whether you talk about God or whether you talk about some energy field that existed in some other form.

X = God according to the tradition of negative theology

(1) Without cognitive content, X is not an idea
(2) X does not have cognitive content
(3) Therefore, X is not an idea (from 1-2)
(4) Humans can believe only ideas
(5) Therefore, humans cannot believe X (from 3-4)

Premise 1 is necessarily true, as just a moment of reflection will make clear. Premise 2 is necessarily true, as demonstrated by Thomas Aquinas' argument that anything you can think is necessarily not God. It follows from this that you cannot affirm any cognitive content you think you have of God as God and be correct. X, then, is necessarily without cognitive content. Premise 3 follows necessarily from premises 1 and 2. Premise 4 is necessarily true, as just a moment of reflection will make clear. The conclusion in 5 necessarily follows premises 3 and 4. All the premises in my argument are true, and no deductive errors occur in my reasoning, so the conclusion follows necessarily. The argument is sound, so the conclusion is, thus, true.

If you change the variable X to refer to talk about what came before the big bang and conclude that it does not have cognitive content, that any talk of it will not actually mean anything beyond gibberish or the talk itself will be of something else other than X. We necessarily cannot believe X if you are right about it lacking cognitive content. The conclusion necessarily follows.

You keep trying to argue on pragmatic grounds: we must cave in eventually because we would be without answers otherwise! Tough luck. The conclusion necessarily follows, so no pragmatic argument will work. My argument renders your argument irrelevant.

Do I need to repeat myself with yet a different set of words, or will you finally give up? 

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Visual_Paradox wrote:What

Visual_Paradox wrote:

What you described is a conceptual difficulty. How do I know? Because we have difficulty with the concept—that's what conceptual difficulty means. What part of this do you not understand?

We don't have difficulty with the concept at all, actually.  We simply can't explain the qualitative what-it's-likeness of something that is neither spatial nor temporal.

Quote:
(1) Without cognitive content, X is not an idea

Okay, you're going to have to define "cognitive content".  I was thinking that cognitive content, in accordance with your usage, constituted that which we could formulate a mental image of or explain in positive terms.  But apparently, you mean something different.  We do have an idea of God; an infinite being.

Quote:
You keep trying to argue on pragmatic grounds: we must cave in eventually because we would be without answers otherwise! Tough luck.

I'll tell you what I'm arguing if you can define "cognitive content".

EDIT:  Actually, I'll tell you what I'm arguing anyway.  You appear to be putting this idea of "God" on the hot seat and alleging that this is an idea without content.  Throughout the thread, I have been willing to grant you that this idea is not one that we could subsume under our categories of understanding-- our domain of discourse only includes that which we acquire through sensation.  As a result, we cannot imagine or even articulate something that is incorporeal other than by speaking in metaphors and/or negative terms. 

But this was my point;  Have we violated the principle of contradiction?  Do we have an idea that is inherently unintelligible, or do we have an idea that we are just unable to understand due to our finite minds?  Is the calculator unable to calculate 10,000 to the 10,000th power because that number does not exist, or is the calculator unable to calculate that number because the calculator has a finite memory bank? 

No.  We have not violated the principle of contradiction.  The definition of existence is a state of actualization.  Strictly speaking, the definition does not include temporality or spatiality, though our linguistics will force us to write sentences in a certain tense due to our domain of discourse.

Through abstraction, we can formulate an idea of God.  No, our categories will not apply to this idea and we will only be able to give negative descriptions.  In that sense, it is without cognitive content (if cognitive content is understood as such, though you need to define it for me).  But we do have an idea and we can flesh it out, albeit negatively and metaphorically. 

That's the crux of my argument.

I just had to point out that natural scientists, like Bob Spence, sit on an intellectual high horse so to speak and act like all of their ideas have cognitive content.  My point was that when you get to the ultimate level of explanation, they do not.  Even when you talk about randomness at the quantum level, spontaneous generation, the static nature of matter, etc., none of that is something we could flesh out with any sort of cognitive content when we explain things at the ultimate level.  How could matter have just always existed?  Can you imagine something just having always existed?   You can't.  Your mind is automatically searching for a beginning in accordance with the patterns of understanding.  It is that no-man's land of the understanding that I was talking about.  I'm not necessarily saying that I know the theory is false, but the idea of anything being without beginning and without end is something we cannot articulate clearly-- whether it's matter, a regress, a being... or whether you believe that scientific laws, energy, etc. all existed in some other form.  At this point, we are all making a leap of faith.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982

chuckg6261982 wrote:

Visual_Paradox wrote:

With regard to the idea of transcending space-time, the notion makes no sense whatsoever. The word transcend does not make sense. They simply plaster the word into their writings and thoughts because they can think of the label without thinking of the thing that the label represents. And, fundamentally, the label does not represent anything, as indicated by their inability to define it, describe the substance that comprises it, describe the constitution of that substance, explain how it can act without time, think without time, or act or think forever through an infinite regress that comes to an end, and so on. Ask them what they believe concerning the creation of the universe, and they will say that god did it, but ask them what god means, and you get nothing in response. God, in their means, does not actually refer to anything. Considering that, how can they believe in something that, apparently, isn't anything? That requires a cognitive dissonance that they could not possibly maintain by confronting head on. If they tried confrontation, they would turn atheist. They combat the cognitive dissonance by moving to a higher level of abstraction, usually entrapped by a lot of symbology and emotion. They move the concept of god further away in their reasoning to try hiding the problems—they do not believe in god, they believe they believe in god.

It is impossible for us to imagine a being that transcends space and time because space and time is predicated of everything that we've experienced during our lifetime.  Whether knowledge is a priori or a posteriori, experience is necessary to set it into motion.  Therefore, it is impossible for us to imagine something that we've never experienced.  Yes, I could imagine a unicorn but that's only because I've experienced a horse and horns and I am able to put them together in my mind. 

I would make this comparison:  If you've attempted to enter 10,000 to the 10,000th power into a calculator, the calculator would go ballistic.  Its mind would just be scrambled.  Likewise, if in a human calculator, you subtracted space and time from something, our minds would just return "Error".  Yet the calculator does not deny the existence of 10,000 to the 10,000th power... and we should not deny the existence of a being that transcends space and time just because we cannot imagine it.

That's a very poor analogy, since "10,000 to the 10,000th power" is not different in category or composition from "10 to the 10th power", which can usually be handled. Nothing is being "transcended" here - a simple  increase in magnitude or scale is exactly the sort of thing we can imagine, and is consistent with many concepts of God(s).

These were often based on human authority figures 'writ large', with the attributes of strength, knowledge and power much greater, and often indefinitely greater than that of a mortal human. I thing 'indefinitely' captures the way such powers would have been conceived of, rather than 'infinite'. IOW, larger than any mortal, with no defined upper limit.

Quote:

The task of philosophy in general is to look for the first principles of being.  Functionally, we go about our daily lives and engage in human discourse by invoking certain patterns and categories of understanding.  And it works for us.  But then when we look for an ultimate basis, everything breaks down.  For example, one of the patterns of our understanding is the notion that nothing can give existence to itself. 

Why keep bringing this up? It is manifestly an absurd concept, and I don't think anyone here, including yourself, actually would even try to assert that "something could give existence to itself". The real contemporary concept is about the idea of something coming into existence spontaneously, which does not entail it somehow being its own cause. That idea is part of an ancient way of thinking about objects and beings which belongs on the garbage heap of philosophy.

When we speak of something coming into existence, there is an important distinction to be made - one is the matter/energy of which it is formed. Do we imagine that its 'substance' come into existence with it, or did it incorporate pre-existing matter/energy? The first idea raises difficulties with physical laws, the second does not, in fact we see it happening all the time.

So the issue is with matter/energy spontaneously emerging from 'nothing'. But conceptually, we have no problem with what that would look like, only with the idea of an 'uncaused' effect.

Quote:

And functionally, this works for us.  And yet when we start to move down the chain, we realize that it no longer makes sense unless we assume that the chain started somewhere.  But then our understanding engages in a battle with itself:  On the one hand, we demand that something require something other than itself to give way to its existence.  And on the other hand, we also demand that everything has to have a beginning.  But how can there be a beginning unless there was something which both exists and never began to exist?  Then we find that the patterns we created for ourselves based on our a posteriori knowledge are not sufficient in themselves.

The main point that I want to get across is that once we enter this no man's land, we are all faced with the same problem that you are fleshing out.  You say that once we start talking about a being who transcends space and time, we can't explain it at all and that means that we believe in nothing.

"that means that we believe in nothing" is a pure non-sequiter. I don't think anyone here would say we 'believe in nothing', but the incoherence and/or intrinsically undefinable and unpredictable nature of 'being who transcends space and time' means that it is a futile direction of speculation, so we certainly do not 'believe' in something like that.

Quote:

Well misery loves company in this case because, in fact, anything that a scientist may posit as a principle for the origin of everything that is will fly in the face of our patterns of understanding.  To say that something came from nothing is even more illogical than saying that something was created by an infinite being.  And to say that there exists some static entity within the universe that always was, is, and always will be still flies in the face of our normal pattern of understanding.  So if you are looking for a theory of this sort that doesn't fly in the face of convention, you will not find it.

Which is not what we are trying to do, of course.

Something from 'nothing' may be legitimately called illogical, since 'from' implies a cause, a source.

Whereas spontaneous emergence is not - in fact by strict logic, every particle of matter either had to have existed forever or come into existence.

The argument is about 'spontaneous', which implies no prior cause. Quantum theory and experiments do seem to imply there is some fundamental aspect of 'reality' that does ilook like pure randomness, ie events at a extremely tiny scale of size and energy are inherently 'fuzzy', only describable in probabilstic terms. This seems to be related to a basic 'granularity' of nature, that it does not have 'infinite' precision, in turn related to the idea that a finite volume of space contains a finite amount of information.

This randomness at the Planck scale has a very small but finite probability of manifesting at the 'macro' level of our experience, allowing for the non-zero probability of a macro scale objetc suddenly appearing. Of course this would have an incredibly small probability, and there would be an even massively tinier probability that it would be a well-formed familiar object.

All of this has been developed by mathematical analysis from well-established observations, so is by definition logical.

Some theorists think that there may be some 'deeper' structure which would remove this apparent randomness, but for the moment, introducing this fundamental fuzziness, which brings along with it the concept of events at the smallest scale being essentially uncaused in the way we intuitively think, needs to be recognised as a basic aspect of reality along with matter and energy.

As for the 'logic' of a 'supreme intelligent being' as the origin of 'something', that brings in another primitive intuition which has also been shown to be not valid, that a 'cause' needs to be greater in some sense than what it 'causes'. Once you appreciate this, then even infinite regressions of cause-effect do not necessitate actual infinities of time or energy, thus removing the 'need' for an ultimate infinite or near-infinite  being to terminate the imagined ever growing regression of ever-greater 'causes'.

Some apologeticists have tried to justify the 'intelligent' aspect as following from the idea that 'free will' is the only way something could happen at an arbitrary time in an infinite span, on the assumption that if all the physical pre-conditions for an event are present, then that event must happen immediately. Quantum uncertainty removes that argument, since if the pre-conditions are very slightly less than needed to trigger the event, it may occur at any arbitrary point in time, like the decay of radioactive atomic nucleii.

I hope you can grasp some hint of why I see your ideas as so rooted in long superseded ideas and insights, not recognising the many new insights we now have gained, many stimulated by broader contemplation of the many counter-intuitive revelations stemming from the honest desire to winkle out the 'truth' behind all we are confronted with, untrammelled by old ideas and beliefs.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:snippedI'm

BobSpence1 wrote:

snipped

I'm just glad you found out how to separate quotes from your actual message.

Now if only regular members could delete their own posts when they make those kinds of typos. 

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982

chuckg6261982 wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

I was married to an intelligent, educated fundamentalist. (Yeah, I know -- it's a seeming contradiction.)

And she knew that you were an atheist before she married you?

How did that happen?

We were very, very young. We talked about God a lot, and we both enjoyed those discussions. Neither of us got angry at the other, and we found it easy to respect each other. She was pre-med, and I was physics.

Somehow, we both neglected to discuss what to do if we had a child. And then we had a child.

Suddenly her faith, and my lack of faith, mattered.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982

chuckg6261982 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

snipped

I'm just glad you found out how to separate quotes from your actual message.

Now if only regular members could delete their own posts when they make those kinds of typos. 

Nothing to do with 'finding out how to separate quotes'.

I had been saving the whole text in a separate editor in case I lost all the work by hitting the wrong key or a glitch in my browser. I inadvertantly re-inserted the whole of my previous save whereas I just intended to paste another quote expression, but it wasn't apparent within the edit window, so I didn't realize I had stuffed it up until I looked at it in the forum. Quickest fix was to delete it and start a new post based on what I had saved.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline
  desertwolf9 wrote:And

desertwolf9 wrote:

And also our knowledge is limited to such that nothing would exclude the existence of God, and therefore we can't say with any certainty that he doesn't exist.

I can and logic can because god surprise surprise contains attributes that contradict themselves and if you postulate some of them for true god becomes disprove because He violates has own axioms or similar violations can be deduced. So the axiom that god is sane is incorrect postulating a infinitely insane and infinitely powerful god is not a contradiction however I don’t think there is one person that would name a infinitely insane creature god or worship it so if you are not postulating this your god concept is disprove or can you tell me how can you worship a infinitely insane creature or do you need to be insane to worship a infinitely insane creature. Therefore the standard god concept contradicts itself with a 101% certainty you simply have described this creature with self-contradiction attributes therefore its impossible according to logic.

desertwolf9 wrote:

How is an infinite series of cause and effect more understandable than an all-powerful creator? The universe always existing has just as much evidence as God existing, your position

is not

more logical in any way, shape or form.

God contradicts his own axioms therefore he can not be.

desertwolf9 wrote:

Can you replicate what the universe looked like prior to the big bang, and what caused it to "bang" in the first place? If the matter always existed, why all of a sudden did space start expanding? Why wasn't it always expanding?

At some point you have to admit that your explanation is seriously lacking in the unknown department as well. God is just as good an explanation as the universe somehow always existing yet "choosing?" to expand at some point. But of course that doesn't make sense, because we know the universe had a beginning (big bang).

Something creating itself is no more "logical" than some as yet unkonwn entity creating something. The only difference is that we have examples of things that were created by hands we cannot see (for example, you probably didn't watch your home being constructed) however we don't have any examples of anything in the universe creating itself, much less the entire universe creating itself.

We have suggestions and your appeal to ignorance is seriously wrong “O O I’m to ignorant to comprehend Newtonian space time and gravity so I’m going to assume that my explanation of god holding the planets in orbit is equally likeable like thus confusing lows of physic from Newton ”

And can you provide one evidence for god ? And define “ create “ would planets assembling themselves do to gravity count for create or how about  abiogenists or evolution you are going to define create here.

Now you boy committed a logical fallacy appeal to ignorance and you are telling me that our logical admission of lack of evidence and proposing some hypothetic is illogical ? Prove it in a nice 1) 2) 3) fashion. However someone who commits logical fallacies can not do this.

desertwolf9 wrote:

Not believing is one thing, but having contempt for those who do believer, and deluding yourself into thinking that your position is the more "logical" is the definition of stupidity. This is the atheist supremacism we are talking about, the belief that your position is superior to all others, or that yours is the most "rational" or "logical."

Maybe you get this dick out of your mouth while talking OK ! Evidence for universe touched something any thing in the world this is evidence for universe. Evidence for god ? I’m waiting . Zero and naming universe god dose not count.

Burdon of proof Burdon of proof Burdon of proof that’s why the atheist position is rational and your only a delusion provide evidence for god provide evidence for god.

desertwolf9 wrote:

It's time for you to admit your true position, which is that God does not exist.Not that you don't know whether he exists or not, but that you are definitely certain that he does not exist

Well since I’m Gnostic atheist contrary to most of the agnostic atheist here I have never denied that I KNOW god is nonexistent ! You simply never asked me.

Don’t you feel retarded for being so dam stupid I know for 101% god can not exist. I have stated this multiple times on thus forums you simply never asked.

desertwolf9 wrote:

Desdenova wrote:

Assumption 1. You assume that the cause was not natural.

Who says God isn't natural?

Provide the exact height and mass of your god + give the exact specification of atoms he is composed of. Or did you just make this up ? Natural means he must be made of atoms and therefore can not be all powerful giving him a finite amount of powers and mortality congratulations for self disproving your god. Or did you talk out of your ass and made shit up ?

Nothing natural could survive in the conditions of the big bang congratulations on another self contradiction and making more stuff up.

desertwolf9 wrote:

Desdenova wrote:
Assumption 3. You assume that the intelligent cause survived, and somehow is now a part of the universe.

No shit he'd survive. No reason for him to die if he's powerful enough to create the universe.

Nothing natural could survive in the conditions of the big bang congratulations on another self contradiction and making more stuff up. I’m powerful enough to create a bomb however I will not survive the explosion of this bomb.

desertwolf9 wrote:

Desdenova wrote:
Assumption 5. You ( most likely, at any rate ) assume that your assumed, intelligent, surviving god is not just any god, but your particular god.

No, I don't.

So god can be infinitely insane and evil ? I’m confused because if you say your definition is flexible it supposed to include a infinitely evil god however if you say NO then you are assuming that god is your specific concept of god.

desertwolf9 wrote:

patcleaver wrote:

Why must there be a prime mover? everything could have always have been moving. How is this any more unlikely then believing that movement will continue forever in the future.

Because we have evidence that it's slowing down.

Translation” my god will die there is no heaven or its finite”. O I’m sorry I assumed you understood what we discussed here he referred to the immortality and everlastingness of heaven and/or god.

desertwolf9 wrote:

BMcD wrote:

Can there be an infinite series of moves?  Proceeding forward from any point, are there an infinite number of consequences? See, here's where you run into a problem, even if it doesn't become immediately apparent. If there can be an infinite progression from any definite point, then you still have an infinite series of movers. And if there cannot, then your 'god' is no longer infinite, nor all-powerful, because you have assigned God an endpoint and limitation.

That's a logical fallacy. You're attempting to disprove my theory by giving the converse which is clearly not true.

Translation "I don’t understand logic or the testing of logical consequences and I’m naming a method of logical (attempted proof for wolf )proof a logical fallacy". There is a 99% possibility that  wolf don’t understand what the hell he is talking about .

desertwolf9 wrote:

Now some other of you where whining about how I "assert" that the prime mover must be a sentient being (we all agree at this point that there must've been a prime mover, regardless of whether he's sentient or not, correct?).

My answer is that a non-sentient object can't be the instrument of its own creation - those objects are used for certain ends, and it takes an intelligence to "create/transform" something for that end.

Define “ create “ would planets assembling themselves do to gravity count for create or how about  abiogenists or evolution you are going to define create here.

Gravity creates planets  therefore for wolf gravity is sentient congratulations of a complete absurdity.

desertwolf9 wrote:

Let me spell it out for you then.

Scenario: The universe was spontaneously created. From what we've seen, the universe was only created once. However, the universe has been tailor-made for the evolution of living things. The universe couldn't have set these variables by itself. The odds of it doing that by itself are so small that they should basically be considered zero.

Translation : wolf is full of shit and doesn’t understand evolution because evolution is the adapting to the surroundings not the other way around so there can not be a universe pre made for evolution. Nice way of self humiliating yourself about not understanding evolution.

desertwolf9 wrote:

Scenario: A powerful, sentient being was spontaneously created. It learned and evolved.

Wait a second didn’t you assume a few sentences before that everything needs to have a evolution ready universe for itself so how the fuck did this  powerful being get this evolution ready universe to evolve ? Nice way of contradicting yourself boy.

desertwolf9 wrote:

Look back at my example earlier in this post, or think about the state of science a millennium ago, where mysticism was the order of the day and where you would be considered a fool for disagreeing with some of the things that later ended up being wrong.  .

Science is a processes of per revived reputable evidence  or basing itself on that evidence ,  mysticism is a religion and this just shows how insane you are naming religion science and science mysticism/religion. 

God doesn't have to be anything. That's the point, you're putting your faith in it. patcleaver accused me earlier of having no imagination. Yet you atheists are the ones who won't accept something unless it's shoved right in front of your face..

Evidence evidence evidence if you don’t have them stop making stuff up and we don’t accept fantasies.

desertwolf9 wrote:

And as for the bet, I ain't done spanking you atheists around here yet. This reply took me quite a lengthy time to respond. The bet's still there. I am betting none of you will be able to systematically prove me wrong in anything I've said here. I'm going to rip you atheists apart in this thread.

contradiction after contradiction especially assuming that a natural god can survive the big bang.

And created by who another god ? You are running a infinite regrets problem and a cretin razor of mr.O dictates that this god part be abandoned here.

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download

Visual_Paradox
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982 wrote:We don't

chuckg6261982 wrote:
We don't have difficulty with the concept at all, actually. We simply can't explain the qualitative what-it's-likeness of something that is neither spatial nor temporal.

You cannot explain the qualitative aspects of god because you can only ascribe qualitative aspects to things with an ontology—which you cannot provide for the god of the negative theology tradition, as proven by Thomas Aquinas. Again, what you have described qualifies as a conceptual difficulty.

chuckg6261982 wrote:
Okay, you're going to have to define "cognitive content". I was thinking that cognitive content, in accordance with your usage, constituted that which we could formulate a mental image of or explain in positive terms. But apparently, you mean something different. We do have an idea of God; an infinite being.

Mental images and explanations would count as cognitive content as I use the term. But, you continue misunderstanding my argument. If you can form a mental image of something that you label god, then you have not formed a mental image of god itself, but of something else, likely something of your own imagination. Instead of picturing X in your mind, you are picturing Y and calling it X, but Y is not X. If you form a different image, it will be of A, B, C, D, etc. but never of X. This conclusion necessarily follows from the premises of negative theology, as demonstrated by Thomas Aquinas. As my argument said: without cognitive content, X is not an idea; X does not have cognitive content; therefore, X is not an idea; humans can believe only ideas; therefore, humans cannot believe X. This ties into my earlier argument that concluded that people of the negative theology tradition do not believe in god, they believe they believe in god.

chuckg6261982 wrote:
The definition of existence is a state of actualization.

We can only consider something actuated if it has an ontology. Negative theology explicitly forbids such a possibility for "god".

chuckg6261982 wrote:
Through abstraction, we can formulate an idea of God. No, our categories will not apply to this idea and we will only be able to give negative descriptions. In that sense, it is without cognitive content (if cognitive content is understood as such, though you need to define it for me). But we do have an idea and we can flesh it out, albeit negatively and metaphorically.

Negative definitions work only when a universe of discourse exists. If I say that "uggablav" is a number within the series 1-10 but not 1-9, you will know "uggablav" to be 10 because there is still something in the universe of discourse for "uggablav" to be. The problem with negative theology is that it tries to define "god" negatively while eliminating the entirety of our universe of discourse. Nothing remains for "god" to be. When I corrected your calculator analogy, that was my argument: we can only recognize "god" as invalid input because nothing exists in our universe of discourse for "god" to be, just like nothing remains in the calculator's universe of discourse for "uggablav to the tollyknockled power" to be.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote:postulating a

carx wrote:

postulating a infinitely insane and infinitely powerful god is not a contradiction however I don’t think there is one person that would name a infinitely insane creature god or worship it

The entity in question would we 'Azathoth', the head of the pantheon of Lovecraft's 'Great Old Ones'. Azathoth is a formless, utterly insane, infinitely powerful entity who, in his infinite power and insanity, destroys and recreates existence an infinite number of times every second.

And you might be surprised by what some folks will worship, just to be able to tell themselves that their god is the most powerful one of all.

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:The entity in

BMcD wrote:

The entity in question would we 'Azathoth', the head of the pantheon of Lovecraft's 'Great Old Ones'.

But Cthulhu is so much cthooler!

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
desertwolf9 wrote:And also

desertwolf9 wrote:

And also our knowledge is limited to such that nothing would exclude the existence of God, and therefore we can't say with any certainty that he doesn't exist.

Very true. There is no compelling evidence that would force us to remove the possibility of God from the data. But here's the issue: There's nothing in the observable data that compels us to add God to the data. And unless we choose to add God to the observable data, he's not present, and so, we cannot make the claim that he exists.

Quote:

How is an infinite series of cause and effect more understandable than an all-powerful creator? The universe always existing has just as much evidence as God existing, your position

is not

more logical in any way, shape or form.

It's not an issue of 'understandable', though. Leaving aside completely the minor point that the very concept of an 'all-powerful' being is one we can't actually understand, but only label as a semantic device for 'can do whatever we need to claim he can do', the question is not one of 'understanding' the claim. The issue is one of evidence. We have evidence the universe exists. We have evidence that the universe at one time existed in a very different condition than the one it exists in now (ie: the state of the universe during the very early stages of the Big Bang), thus, we can say with some comfort that it's logical to accept the universe has existed in different conditions.

By comparison, there is no evidence for the current existence of God. There is no evidence that God existed at any point in the development of our universe. Thus, in order to believe that God existed, we must add a premise that the data does not support, which violates Occam's Razor.

Quote:

And your explanation is no better.

Except for that whole 'consistent with the evidence' thing.

Quote:

At some point you have to admit that your explanation is seriously lacking in the unknown department as well. God is just as good an explanation as the universe somehow always existing yet "choosing?" to expand at some point. But of course that doesn't make sense, because we know the universe had a beginning (big bang).

Except that, again, we have evidence that the universe exists. We have no evidence that God exists.

It's also not correct to say that the universe 'began' at the Big Bang. Rather, the current state of the universe appears to have initiated in the Big Bang. There's no evidence that the Big Bang did not have a precursor condition which gave rise to it. This precursor condition would still be the universe, only in a form different than the one we currently observe.

Quote:

Something creating itself is no more "logical" than some as yet unkonwn entity creating something. The only difference is that we have examples of things that were created by hands we cannot see (for example, you probably didn't watch your home being constructed) however we don't have any examples of anything in the universe creating itself, much less the entire universe creating itself.

But we can see hands constructing homes. That's simply an issue of whether we're looking in the right place at the right time, not an unobservable entity conducting an unobservable process. Moreover, we're not talking about an object creating itself, but rather simply changing states, which we do observe, all the time.

Quote:

Not believing is one thing, but having contempt for those who do believer, and deluding yourself into thinking that your position is the more "logical" is the definition of stupidity. This is the atheist supremacism we are talking about, the belief that your position is superior to all others, or that yours is the most "rational" or "logical."

I don't have any contempt for believers, and more than I have contempt for disbelievers. I think you're wrong, but everyone's wrong about something, some time. Errors in judgement aren't something to be contemptuous of, but simply to discuss and attempt to correct. As Penn once said, I love finding out I'm wrong: It means I'm learning.

Quote:

It's time for you to admit your true position, which is that God does not exist. Not that you don't know whether he exists or not, but that you are definitely certain that he does not exist (otherwise, you must be calling yourself "irrational" "illogical" "childish" "primitive" and "idiotic.&quotEye-wink. Come on already, stop playing hopskotch with it and be a man, you are an atheist supremacist, get over it.

"I don't know" is not a position - it's a convenient dodge for those who don't want to believe in a god.

I'll ask you the same questions I've asked others:

What color socks am I wearing? How old is my sister? Who's going to win the gold in the long jump in the Summer Olympics of 2012?

All of these questions have answers. Do you know what they are?

The question of whether or not God exists has an answer. I don't claim to know what that answer is. I do claim that without knowing that God exists, I can't assert that I know that God exists, and belief is an assertion of knowledge.

Quote:

Desdenova wrote:

Assumption 1. You assume that the cause was not natural.

Who says God isn't natural?

You do. 'Natural' means " a: being in accordance with or determined by nature. b: having or constituting a classification based on features existing in nature." Nature being "the external world in its entirety", ie: the universe. So, for God to be 'natural', God would thus need to be part of, and subject to the laws of, the universe.

By holding that God exists outside of the universe, you are holding that God is 'supernatural', and thus, not 'natural'.

Quote:

Desdenova wrote:
Assumption 3. You assume that the intelligent cause survived, and somehow is now a part of the universe.

No shit he'd survive. No reason for him to die if he's powerful enough to create the universe.

Well, without knowing a)what specific capabilities God has, and b)what specific requirements would be for creating the universe, there's no way to say that creating the universe wasn't an action that was possible, but only if God was willing to sacrifice his existence to achieve it.

After all, a bee can sting you, but in doing so, it's most likely going to tear the stinger out of its abdomen, costing the bee its life.

Quote:

Desdenova wrote:
Assumption 4. You assume that your assumed intelligent, surviving cause is a god.

Why not. My definition for a "god' is pretty flexible.

So then you 'believe' in a being whose attributes change? Or are you simply saying that if asked about God's specific attributes you'd have to admit that you don't know? After all, you're the one claiming 'I don't know' is not a legitimate answer, so obviously you must have an answer to every question.

Quote:

Desdenova wrote:
Assumption 5. You ( most likely, at any rate ) assume that your assumed, intelligent, surviving god is not just any god, but your particular god.

No, I don't.

Does that mean you don't know if you believe in the god you believe in? That's... awkward, isn't it? If you're not sure you believe in the right god, why do you believe in that god?

Quote:

Logic & data are two different things. Data = Empericism. Logic = philosophy. Science = logic + data.

Logic requires data, even if that data is only a set of given premises.

Quote:

Sure he does. A god, assuming he exists, explains everything.

No, he doesn't. A god, assuming he exists, is an incomprehensible entity possessed of attributes we either are not aware of or cannot comprehend. Thus, he is not an explanation. If anything, he is an abdication of inquiry. Once you answer a question with 'God', there can be no further or deeper understanding, as attempting to seek a deeper understanding of the incomprensible is by definition impossible.

Quote:

Let me spell it out for you then.

Scenario: The universe was spontaneously created. From what we've seen, the universe was only created once. However, the universe has been tailor-made for the evolution of living things. The universe couldn't have set these variables by itself. The odds of it doing that by itself are so small that they should basically be considered zero.

The universe is in no way 'tailor-made' for the evolution of living things. Most of the volume of the universe is utterly uninhabitable. The processes by which living things live are horribly inefficient, capturing and using perhaps 10% of the available energy at each step. If this is 'tailor-made' to you... get a new tailor.

Quote:

Scenario: A powerful, sentient being was spontaneously created. It learned and evolved. Eventually it learned what a reality needs to sustain living things. Therefore it created these things in one fell swoop, which is EXACTLY what the big bang looks like.

Spontaneously created... by what? Spontaneously created where? Under what conditions? If it can learn, it moves along an axis of progression. This means that axis can be followed in the other direction, regression, which leads us to what subjectively amounts to a 'before God was created' point... and so you're not yet at the Prime Mover.

This could certainly be wrong. But I don't think it's illogical.

Quote:

Look back at my example earlier in this post, or think about the state of science a millennium ago, where mysticism was the order of the day and where you would be considered a fool for disagreeing with some of the things that later ended up being wrong. Things are stated as fact all the time in the name of science. The FDA for example, lies about what kind of drugs are safe or not. Their excuse? They claimed to have experimentally tested the drugs.

Science is a methodology. That some people who use the methodology then improperly report their findings in a way that is inconsistent with the methodology does not invalidate that methodology, only the trust you should have in those specific individuals.

Quote:

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

OK, granting that the universe may have started a finite time in the past, then I would see that something had to have happened first. However, the problem here is that says nothing about the existence of any divine being. The first thing could be a vacuum fluctuation, the collision of two branes, a supercooled Higgs field collapsing or any of several other suggested explanations (or even one that nobody has thought up just yet but whatever on that).

Assuming that those things already exist.

Which no-one is claiming to know with any certainty, unlike the pre-existence of God.

Quote:

God doesn't have to be anything. That's the point, you're putting your faith in it. patcleaver accused me earlier of having no imagination. Yet you atheists are the ones who won't accept something unless it's shoved right in front of your face.

Which doesn't mean we can't conceptualize things we haven't seen, only that we won't endorse the existence of something that's unproven.

Quote:

Time didn't exist before the big bang.

(Pssst. You can't use 'before' without Time... setting that aside...)

We don't know that, though. We don't know what the conditions of the universe were that gave rise to the Big Bang. Which means we have know wat of knowing what dimensions might have been expanded in those conditions as compared to the 1 temporal and 3 spatial dimensions expanded in our current conditions. We can say with some comfort that in order for anything to progress, there would have had to have been at least one dimension expanded which could function as an axis of progression, which would be analogous to the axis of Time in our current conditions.

Quote:

Speak for youself. I've certainly had those moments, but I didn't decide to "get payback" on god by not believing in him anymore.

But why believe in him to begin with? Children aren't born with a concept of God, they have to be taught it. God has to be added to the universe they observe and experience. But there's no evidence to compel this addition; it's only done because those teaching have an invested interest in the belief: they've lived their lives according to this belief, and to have it invalidated seems, to them, like an invalidation of them.

By comparison, I would love to find some evidence for God. Again, it would mean I'm learning. It would mean I've found an answer to a question I don't have the answer to now. More, it would mean that this life isn't all there is. But so far, no such evidence has been made available to me. Nothing points to God, only to the desire and need of people to be validated through their belief in God.

Quote:

Kavis wrote:

"Goddidit" is a cop-out, an intellectual shrug, an abandonment of curiosity, reason, and the human imagination. It does not provide us with any information, any clarity, any insight into the nature or operations of the universe.  It's intellectual cowardice, the refusal to admit that you just don't know

Bullshit. The existence of scientists who believe in a god disproves this statement.

No, it simply demonstrates that everyone's subject to human frailties and imperfections.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Desdenova wrote:BMcD

Desdenova wrote:

BMcD wrote:

The entity in question would we 'Azathoth', the head of the pantheon of Lovecraft's 'Great Old Ones'.

But Cthulhu is so much cthooler!

And more likely to eat you in person instead of just whim-ing you out of existence. Eye-wink

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Visual_Paradox wrote:You

Visual_Paradox wrote:

You cannot explain the qualitative aspects of god because you can only ascribe qualitative aspects to things with an ontology—which you cannot provide for the god of the negative theology tradition, as proven by Thomas Aquinas. Again, what you have described qualifies as a conceptual difficulty.

Only by your definition. 

I'm glad you keep invoking Aquinas because he did believe that we could prove the existence of God.  St. Thomas made a clear distinction between preambles and mysteries, the former being that which we could know without the aid of revelation.  According to Aquinas, we can know that God exists.  Are you saying that St. Thomas only believed that he believed in God?

Read it for yourself, straight from Summa Theologica:

Quote:
The existence of God and other like truths about God, which can be known by natural reason, are not articles of faith, but are preambles to the articles; for faith presupposes natural knowledge, even as grace presupposes nature, and perfection supposes something that can be perfected. Nevertheless, there is nothing to prevent a man, who cannot grasp a proof, accepting, as a matter of faith, something which in itself is capable of being scientifically known and demonstrated.

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1002.htm

St. Thomas pretty much argued what I am arguing, which is that while we cannot put God into imagery or positive propositions without contradicting his true nature, we can conceptualize him through what he is not.  That is the process of abstraction that I was talking about.

Quote:
God cannot be seen in His essence by a mere human being, except he be separated from this mortal life. The reason is because, as was said above (Article 4), the mode of knowledge follows the mode of the nature of the knower. But our soul, as long as we live in this life, has its being in corporeal matter; hence naturally it knows only what has a form in matter, or what can be known by such a form. Now it is evident that the Divine essence cannot be known through the nature of material things. For it was shown above (Question 2, Article 9) that the knowledge of God by means of any created similitude is not the vision of His essence. Hence it is impossible for the soul of man in this life to see the essence of God. This can be seen in the fact that the more our soul is abstracted from corporeal things, the more it is capable of receiving abstract intelligible things. Hence in dreams and alienations of the bodily senses divine revelations and foresight of future events are perceived the more clearly. It is not possible, therefore, that the soul in this mortal life should be raised up to the supreme of intelligible objects, i.e. to the divine essence.

Our natural knowledge begins from sense. Hence our natural knowledge can go as far as it can be led by sensible things. But our mind cannot be led by sense so far as to see the essence of God; because the sensible effects of God do not equal the power of God as their cause. Hence from the knowledge of sensible things the whole power of God cannot be known; nor therefore can His essence be seen. But because they are His effects and depend on their cause, we can be led from them so far as to know of God "whether He exists," and to know of Him what must necessarily belong to Him, as the first cause of all things, exceeding all things caused by Him.

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1012.htm#article7

Quote:
We cannot know what God is, but only what He is not. So to study Him, we study what He has not -- such as composition and motion.

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1.htm

Quote:
Mental images and explanations would count as cognitive content as I use the term. But, you continue misunderstanding my argument.

If you can form a mental image of something that you label god, then you have not formed a mental image of god itself, but of something else, likely something of your own imagination. Instead of picturing X in your mind, you are picturing Y and calling it X, but Y is not X.

You clearly have not read anything that I've written.  I've been saying all along that we cannot put God into imagery or positive propositions. 

Here's what I've written:

"I have been willing to grant you that this idea is not one that we could subsume under our categories of understanding-- our domain of discourse only includes that which we acquire through sensation.  As a result, we cannot imagine or even articulate something that is incorporeal other than by speaking in metaphors and/or negative terms. "

"We simply can't explain the qualitative what-it's-likeness of something that is neither spatial nor temporal."

"It is impossible for us to imagine a being that transcends space and time because space and time is predicated of everything that we've experienced during our lifetime.  Whether knowledge is a priori or a posteriori, experience is necessary to set it into motion.  Therefore, it is impossible for us to imagine something that we've never experienced."

Quote:
We can only consider something actuated if it has an ontology. Negative theology explicitly forbids such a possibility for "god".

I'm sure that God has an ontology, it's just an ontology that we cannot explain positively.

Quote:
Negative definitions work only when a universe of discourse exists. If I say that "uggablav" is a number within the series 1-10 but not 1-9, you will know "uggablav" to be 10 because there is still something in the universe of discourse for "uggablav" to be.

The moment you said that uggablav is a number within the series of 1-10, you made a positive proposition.  So your analogy is destroyed.

Quote:
The problem with negative theology is that it tries to define "god" negatively while eliminating the entirety of our universe of discourse. Nothing remains for "god" to be. When I corrected your calculator analogy, that was my argument: we can only recognize "god" as invalid input because nothing exists in our universe of discourse for "god" to be, just like nothing remains in the calculator's universe of discourse for "uggablav to the tollyknockled power" to be.

That's because God theoretically created the universe, so our domain of discourse, which is extrapolated from the universe itself, would not apply to this God.  That is why we have to build from abstraction and come to a conclusion through that which is within the effect to that which is not within the cause.

Your argument is that if we have no positive propositions, then we are void of content.  For example, if you asked me, "What is a book?"  and I said, "It is not a TV", then I will not have answered your question, though what I told you is true.  But in theory, if I had knowledge of the entire universe of discourse, and I was able to go through EVERY single thing that this book is not, you would eventually come to understand the book by process of elimination.  Of course, a book is a finite entity.  We could use that same process of elimination with God, except that when we get to the end of the carving, we come to a conclusion that we cannot put in images because it transcends everything we have ever experienced.  But there is still a concept.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982 wrote:That's

chuckg6261982 wrote:

That's because God theoretically created the universe, so our domain of discourse, which is extrapolated from the universe itself, would not apply to this God.  That is why we have to build from abstraction and come to a conclusion through that which is within the effect to that which is not within the cause.

Your argument is that if we have no positive propositions, then we are void of content.  For example, if you asked me, "What is a book?"  and I said, "It is not a TV", then I will not have answered your question, though what I told you is true.  But in theory, if I had knowledge of the entire universe of discourse, and I was able to go through EVERY single thing that this book is not, you would eventually come to understand the book by process of elimination.  Of course, a book is a finite entity.  We could use that same process of elimination with God, except that when we get to the end of the carving, we come to a conclusion that we cannot put in images because it transcends everything we have ever experienced.  But there is still a concept.

So God is that which we cannot define?

There seems to be a lot of question-begging going on here. God didn't theoretically create the universe; he hypothetically created the universe. By that, I mean that you have proposed an hypothesis ("God created the universe" ) to answer a question. Whether or not we have the framework with which to ask the question is unimportant at the moment. The important thing is that you've asked the question, and proposed one answer.

You've already admitted that our "domain of discourse" excludes God, by definition. So, by definition, this God you hypothesize is outside our very understanding. You suggest we "we have to build from abstraction and come to a conclusion through that which is within the effect to that which is not within the cause."

This seems to require an exhaustive list of "that which is not." As God is outside our very understanding, it logically follows that there are other possibilities outside our understanding, that we will not be able to list, as they are outside our understanding. Therefore, we cannot logically assume God is, in any way, more real than any of these other concepts which we are unable to comprehend, and unable to list.

More simply, God is merely one in a long list of things which we cannot comprehend, but which might be the unobserved cause to the effect, which we are able to observe.

With that in mind, how could you possibly rationally conclude that God actually exists, rather than one of the many things that we can comprehend, or one of the infinite number of other things that we can't comprehend to the same extent that we can't comprehend God?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even the analogy of trying

Even the analogy of trying to define a book by what it is not is simply not going to work. You cannot define anything specific by purely negative statements, even for something within the domain of the natural world, such as a book.

If you try to extend this already fallacious idea to the infinite realm of anything not intrinsically contradictory, you have a a fallacy magnified to a totally unimaginable degree, as NigelTheBold points out.

The fact that Theologians find it necessary to resort to this 'argument' proves they have no justification whatsoever for belief in such a concept as God.

You have effectively 'proved' the case against God as a viable concept by a 'Reductio ad Absurdum' argument. IOW the attempt to justify it leads to an absurdity. Thank you for that.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
The problem with using

The problem with using Aquinas is that Aquinas presupposed that the existence of God was self-evident, and so when looking at the natural world, was actively looking for evidence of God. It's been shown time and again that when humans look for something they already expect to find, they will find it, even if it's not really there.

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:So God is

nigelTheBold wrote:

We can define God, but only negatively.  That will not give you an exhaustive understanding of the concept nor can you prove the existence of such a being just by defining it (I would not endorse St. Anselm's ontological argument).  St. Thomas makes it very clear that we cannot know the essence of God.

Quote:
This seems to require an exhaustive list of "that which is not." As God is outside our very understanding, it logically follows that there are other possibilities outside our understanding, that we will not be able to list, as they are outside our understanding. Therefore, we cannot logically assume God is, in any way, more real than any of these other concepts which we are unable to comprehend, and unable to list.

I never attempted to prove the existence of God (not in this thread, anyway).  I was merely explaining that it is not necessarily a concept without content.  God is what you are left with when you strip away everything that is imperfect about sentient beings. 

I don't know that there is anyway to definitively prove the existence of God.  If I was to argue the existence of God, I would argue from my experience of the world, in terms of altruism, purpose, fine tuning, etc.  But that will never convince an atheist, who usually presupposes that the world is physical, that human beings have no inherent purpose, that actions are not inherently moral, that human beings are not anymore special than ants and mosquitoes, etc.

But you apparently agree that anytime we talk about the first principles of being, we are stuck in a no man's land of the understanding.  Natural scientists will always end up conceding something like, "Well, our laws existed in some other form that we cannot understand", which is not anymore coherent than the belief in an infinite being that exists outside of space and time.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982 wrote:But you

chuckg6261982 wrote:

But you apparently agree that anytime we talk about the first principles of being, we are stuck in a no man's land of the understanding.  Natural scientists will always end up conceding something like, "Well, our laws existed in some other form that we cannot understand", which is not anymore coherent than the belief in an infinite being that exists outside of space and time.

I'm not convinced "first principles of being" is a rational concept. The phrase itself is pregnant with the existence of God. Instead, it makes more sense to consider the origins of this particular universe, which may or may not be in context of a much larger "structure" (for lack of a better word) that contains many related universes.

Then again, perhaps not.

It's not so much that we cannot understand, but that we don't have enough knowledge at the present time to have a reasonable model. Natural scientists will always have to concede that we are ignorant of much. And considering we have a few cogent, naturalistic possible models for our current universe, it's quite possible (perhaps even probable) that the model of the origins of the universe will be completely understandable, even simple.

In any case, the phrase "first principles of being" seems to imply a distinct model of the origins of the universe, when in reality, we are almost completely ignorant of the conditions at the moment of origin.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982

chuckg6261982 wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

We can define God, but only negatively.  That will not give you an exhaustive understanding of the concept nor can you prove the existence of such a being just by defining it (I would not endorse St. Anselm's ontological argument).  St. Thomas makes it very clear that we cannot know the essence of God.

Quote:

I never attempted to prove the existence of God (not in this thread, anyway).  I was merely explaining that it is not necessarily a concept without content.  God is what you are left with when you strip away everything that is imperfect about sentient beings. 

'Perfect' in this context is not an objectively definable concept, so this is not a meaningful 'definition' of God either, any more than St Anselm's nonsense. It is purely rhetorical.

Quote:

I don't know that there is anyway to definitively prove the existence of God.  If I was to argue the existence of God, I would argue from my experience of the world, in terms of altruism, purpose, fine tuning, etc.  But that will never convince an atheist, who usually presupposes that the world is physical, that human beings have no inherent purpose, that actions are not inherently moral, that human beings are not anymore special than ants and mosquitoes, etc.

'Purpose' only makes sense in terms of an intelligent agent, so of course, assuming we have a purpose beyond ourselves presupposes a 'God'. We are 'special', but only to ourselves, although we are objectively much more complex and subtle organisms than ants and mosquitoes. 'Presupposing' anything else is the no more logically justified than presupposing a God. 'Presupposing' the non-existence of things not actually demonstrable is the basic Atheist position, which is logically more defensible than presupposing their existence, of course.

Quote:

Natural scientists do not 'assume' that at all. Just that it is highly likely that to understand the attributes of space-time and matter-energy that were applicable in the unique, extreme conditions at the origin of the Big Bang singularity would require considerable extensions to those that we have determined in our currently observable universe, which is a 100% logical, coherent position.

Whereas the naked assumption of "an infinite being that exists outside of space and time." has no positive justification, as you already conceded. The negative definition is totally illogical, unworkable, and indefensible.

Of course the nature of what may be the precursor to the Big Bang, or even whether such a unique event even had or needed a precursor, whether time itself existed in anything like the way we understand it, are things we do not currently have anything but highly speculative ideas about.

The scientific position is the intellectually honest position of "we don't know, although we have some ideas". It certainly does NOT just throw out all our current insights and principles, but rather explores ideas of more general laws and principles, which our current versions would necessarily be consistent with, but only accurate within the particular conditions of 'our' universe.

Again, all perfectible logical and defensible.

It is the idea that "infinite being that exists outside of space and time" is a coherent idea, let alone the only alternative to the naturalistic view that is "totally illogical, unworkable, and indefensible". Be honest and concede that you don't know either.

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:'Perfect'

BobSpence1 wrote:

'Perfect' in this context is not an objectively definable concept, so this is not a meaningful 'definition' of God either, any more than St Anselm's nonsense. It is purely rhetorical.

Your inability to distinguish between the metaphysical and colloquial use of "perfect" tells me that you are not really qualified to make any assertions about the concept, much less about St. Anselm.

Quote:
We are 'special', but only to ourselves, although we are objectively much more complex and subtle organisms than ants and mosquitoes.

Yes, that's the world we live in according to you.  Humans are nothing more than complex Darwinian primates whose morals and ethics are simply means to maintaining the species and whose lives are no more significant than those of ants and mosquitoes.  Altruism and love are simply reducible to physical entities, and we are not ultimately responsible for our decisions, because even those are reducible physical entities that are subject to the laws of nature just like anything else.

Quote:
Natural scientists do not 'assume' that at all. Just that it is highly likely that to understand the attributes of space-time and matter-energy that were applicable in the unique, extreme conditions at the origin of the Big Bang singularity would require considerable extensions to those that we have determined in our currently observable universe, which is a 100% logical, coherent position.

Care to explain the qualitative what-it's-likeness of such conditions?  If the position is 100% logical, I'd expect you to be able to lay everything out to me in great detail.

Quote:
Whereas the naked assumption of "an infinite being that exists outside of space and time." has no positive justification, as you already conceded. The negative definition is totally illogical, unworkable, and indefensible.

And yet it has been "defended" for thousands of years, or are we to assume that you are more intelligent than Aquinas, Aristotle, Anselm, Kant, Descartes, etc.?

Quote:
It is the idea that "infinite being that exists outside of space and time" is a coherent idea, let alone the only alternative to the naturalistic view that is "totally illogical, unworkable, and indefensible". Be honest and concede that you don't know either.

I never claimed to have known.  You are the one who is on an intellectual high horse because your theories are scientific theories.  Your ideas are totally incoherent, but you claim that they are coherent because you mask them in scientific fact.  It's just sleight-of-hand trickery on your part.  You have not been intellectual honest at all.  Just admit that you are making a leap of faith every bit as much as theists are. 

There are plenty of good reasons to believe in God.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982

chuckg6261982 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Your inability to distinguish between the metaphysical and colloquial use of "perfect" tells me that you are not really qualified to make any assertions about the concept, much less about St. Anselm.

Quote:
We are 'special', but only to ourselves, although we are objectively much more complex and subtle organisms than ants and mosquitoes.

Yes, that's the world we live in according to you.  Humans are nothing more than complex Darwinian primates whose morals and ethics are simply means to maintaining the species and whose lives are no more significant than those of ants and mosquitoes.  Altruism and love are simply reducible to physical entities, and we are not ultimately responsible for our decisions, because even those are reducible physical entities that are subject to the laws of nature just like anything else.

Care to explain the qualitative what-it's-likeness of such conditions?  If the position is 100% logical, I'd expect you to be able to lay everything out to me in great detail.

Quote:

And yet it has been "defended" for thousands of years, or are we to assume that you are more intelligent than Aquinas, Aristotle, Anselm, Kant, Descartes, etc.?

Quote:

I never claimed to have known.  You are the one who is on an intellectual high horse because your theories are scientific theories.  Your ideas are totally incoherent, but you claim that they are coherent because you mask them in scientific fact.  It's just sleight-of-hand trickery on your part.  You have not been intellectual honest at all.  Just admit that you are making a leap of faith every bit as much as theists are. 

1. Which definition of "perfect" would you like to use? "flawless" or "optimally suited for its purpose"? Either is subjective.

2. Ah, the Christian dilemma. Humans are the pinnacle of God's creation - "made a little lower than the angels" but is also worthless in the sight of his God. WTF?

3. Been done many times. Remove the blinders.

4. Are we more intelligent than the guys you mentioned? Maybe. Maybe not. Are we more/better informed? Absolutely. It's not hard to defend a position to others that are less informed than yourself (which iis what the guys in your list did).

5. Neither of you claimed knowledge. Bob simply claimed an increased likelihhood of the naturally occurring universe based on the science that has been observed. As no one has observed your extraspatial, extratemporal God, Bob's explanation makes more sense than "God did it".

I'm sure Bob will get off his "intellectual high horse" as soon as you get off of your sanctimoniously tall equine.

Plenty of reasons? Name one that doesn't need faith or offers more than warm fuzzies.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982 wrote:I never

chuckg6261982 wrote:

Science does have the advantage of producing real-world results. There is no other epistemology that can come close to the acheivements of science. Nor is there any epistemology that is as self-correcting as science.

A metaphysics is only as good as the epistemology on which it is based. In that regard, there is no metaphysics as sound as that which is built on the scientific method.

Quote:

Absolutely.

But are any of the logical, rather than emotional?

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
jc the nad fly wrote:1.

jc the nad fly wrote:

1. Which definition of "perfect" would you like to use? "flawless" or "optimally suited for its purpose"? Either is subjective.

2. Ah, the Christian dilemma. Humans are the pinnacle of God's creation - "made a little lower than the angels" but is also worthless in the sight of his God. WTF?

4. Are we more intelligent than the guys you mentioned? Maybe. Maybe not. Are we more/better informed? Absolutely. It's not hard to defend a position to others that are less informed than yourself (which iis what the guys in your list did).

5. Neither of you claimed knowledge. Bob simply claimed an increased likelihhood of the naturally occurring universe based on the science that has been observed. As no one has observed your extraspatial, extratemporal God, Bob's explanation makes more sense than "God did it".

I'm sure Bob will get off his "intellectual high horse" as soon as you get off of your sanctimoniously tall equine.

Plenty of reasons? Name one that doesn't need faith or offers more than warm fuzzies.

And right on cue, Bob's little minions in the peanut gallery come to the rescue!

Too funny, jc doesn't believe that Bob is capable of defending himself.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982

chuckg6261982 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Metaphysics is irrelevant to real knowledge and understanding, and St Anselm's ideas are quintessential nonsense. No apologies.

I have no desire to investigate obsolete and irrelevant 'disciplines' and 'thinkers' in those disciplines, I spend my time and effort keeping with the best current efforts to understand man and the universe.

Quote:

Quote:

'"Simply reducible" and "nothing more" is where you go wrong here. I others have already explained why this is not an accurate description of the non-supernaturalist understanding.

Quote:

Quote:

Science does not pretend to be able to describe things in such a way - that is not logically required to gain a theoretical understanding. Typically they will involve mathematical and abstract descriptions of an environment which is by virtue of scales of size and/or time, and other aspects, are not easily mapped to our everyday experience.

Quote:

Quote:

No, just that the state of human knowledge and understanding of such things has made enormous progress, especially over the last few centuries, rendering the ideas of those people of merely historical interest, altho some of their ideas did help in the progress that has been made.

Quote:

Quote:

Of course I won't concede that - that paragraph is the most blatant act of 'projection' I have seen for a while. You are unwilling or unable  to get your head around contemporary thinking, mired as you are in the stale intuitions of long dead thinkers.

Quote:

All of them logically invalid.

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Science

nigelTheBold wrote:

Science does have the advantage of producing real-world results. There is no other epistemology that can come close to the acheivements of science. Nor is there any epistemology that is as self-correcting as science.

Science is great.  It has done many great things and has its place in the world. 

But science never has, and will never, be able to tell us if life is worth living.

Science will never be able to tell us if a certain action is right or wrong.

Science will never be able to tell us if a painting, person, or song is beautiful.

Science will never be able to give us a definitive why on our being here.

Quote:
Absolutely.

Absolutely, although it is only the emotional that could actually convert someone to the other side.  But there are plenty of logical reasons to believe in God.  There's the cosmological argument, the teleological argument, the ontological argument, the mind-body problem, the anthropic argument, the moral argument, transcendental argument, etc.

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Metaphysics

BobSpence1 wrote:

Metaphysics is irrelevant to real knowledge and understanding, and St Anselm's ideas are quintessential nonsense. No apologies.

Actually, metaphysics is essential to your understanding of the world.

Do you believe that criminals are morally responsible for what they do?  If so, what is your "scientific" explanation for the idea that they acted freely?

Quote:
I have no desire to investigate obsolete and irrelevant 'disciplines' and 'thinkers' in those disciplines, I spend my time and effort keeping with the best current efforts to understand man and the universe.

How?  By making your living designing little computer games and posting 24/7 on some internet forum?  I think your time would be better spent reading up on those philosophers whom you know so little about.

Quote:
'"Simply reducible" and "nothing more" is where you go wrong here. I others have already explained why this is not an accurate description of the non-supernaturalist understanding.

That's exactly what you believe.  You simply try to put lipstick on it to make it look better than it does.

Quote:
Science does not pretend to be able to describe things in such a way - that is not logically required to gain a theoretical understanding.

And isn't that exactly what I've been saying about God? 

Quote:
No, just that the state of human knowledge and understanding of such things has made enormous progress, especially over the last few centuries, rendering the ideas of those people of merely historical interest, altho some of their ideas did help in the progress that has been made.

You have no idea what you are talking about. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982 wrote:jc the

chuckg6261982 wrote:

jc the nad fly wrote:

And right on cue, Bob's little minions in the peanut gallery come to the rescue!

Too funny, jc doesn't believe that Bob is capable of defending himself.

My questions are mine. Bob has been kicking your tail often enough around here - I figured he needed some rest. I was afraid he was going to lose circulation in his leg with his foot that far up your backside.

Going to answer my questions, you sanctimonius twit?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982 wrote:But

chuckg6261982 wrote:

But science never has, and will never, be able to tell us if life is worth living.

Science will never be able to tell us if a painting, person, or song is beautiful.

- Begging the question.

- Argument from ignorance.

- Non sequitur

- Red herring

- Strawman

etc.

Um, *tap tap* philosophy major person, how many logical fallacies did you just commit?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982 wrote:Science

chuckg6261982 wrote:

Science is great.  It has done many great things and has its place in the world. 

Although I'm not sure that all your above assertions are correct ("never" is just as long as "forever" ), I believe we are essentially in agreement.

Quote:

Quote:
Absolutely.

Absolutely, although it is only the emotional that could actually convert someone to the other side.  But there are plenty of logical reasons to believe in God.  There's the cosmological argument, the teleological argument, the ontological argument, the mind-body problem, the anthropic argument, the moral argument, transcendental argument, etc.

The cosmological argument is impotent, as it explains one mystery by introducing a greater mystery. (There are other arguments against the cosmological argument, but that's my personal favorite.) The teleological argument is fallacious, as it conflates order with design. The mind-body problem is a question of perception, and easily demonstrated as not a problem at all: a restructuring or interference with the body (the brain) affects the mind (perception). The anthropic argument is an argument from ignorance. The moral argument has fallen to science: evolutionary psychology has made great headways into the evolutionary advantage of "morality;" also, mathematics (in the form of game theory, for instance) has also been instrumental in developing a secular moral framework. The transcendental argument is a case study of circular reasoning.

All of these logical arguments are flawed. So far, I've not seen one logical argument for God that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

That probably has to do with your observation that "it is only the emotional that could actually convert someone to the other side." I'm extremely skeptical of any claims of the supernatural, and so I look for every flaw of every argument.

Thanks for illuminating your viewpoint. I really do appreciate it.

chuckg6261982
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:All of

nigelTheBold wrote:

All of these logical arguments are flawed. So far, I've not seen one logical argument for God that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Whether or not they are flawed depends on your point of view, but if they are highly contested, that is just the nature of arguments that purport to prove the existence of something that you cannot detect with your senses.

If you think about it, this isn't just a God issue.  It is the nature of the arguments themselves.  Think about this:  If someone attempted to prove my existence to you without you having ever experienced me with your senses, would there be any possible argument they could make that could not be contested? 

If claims re: the existence of Alexander the Great weren't regarded as unextraordinary, then you could contest everything dealing with his existence as well.  Some people do.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982

chuckg6261982 wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

Whether or not they are flawed depends on your point of view, but if they are highly contested, that is just the nature of arguments that purport to prove the existence of something that you cannot detect with your senses.

If you think about it, this isn't just a God issue.  It is the nature of the arguments themselves.  Think about this:  If someone attempted to prove my existence to you without you having ever experienced me with your senses, would there be any possible argument they could make that could not be contested? 

If claims re: the existence of Alexander the Great weren't regarded as unextraordinary, then you could contest everything dealing with his existence as well.  Some people do.

No, the determing factor on whether the arguments are flawed is based on such things as not being built on logical fallacies, not being self contradictory, etc. You know, standing up to scrutiny. Has nothing to do with my point of view.

Are you really trying to draw a comparison along the lines of "Since God can't be experienced with the senses, he must be real"? Your thought experiment seems to be headsing that way.

Yes, there are people who challenge the exiztence of Alexander the Great. They're called "people who don't know history".

— George Carlin

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982

chuckg6261982 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Actually, metaphysics is essential to your understanding of the world.

Only to the degree that you apply that label to speculations firmly taking into account current scientific insights. My general contempt for most philosophical and metaphysical discussions is based on repeated observations which show the sharp contrast between discussions of the implications of the latest 'revelations' of science, especially in areas like the study of mind and consciousness, human and animal behaviour, and cosmology and the origins and evolution of the universe, on one hand, and philosophical/metaphysical discussion of closely related subjects on the other. The philosopher's ideas are typically way obsolete and irrelevant.

Quote:

Do you believe that criminals are morally responsible for what they do?  If so, what is your "scientific" explanation for the idea that they acted freely?

The first question is an intrinsically subjective judgement. It would be very much dependent on the nature of the offence. Direct physical abuse of another person would certainly indicate they have problems of anger, lack of restraint, or something related, which should be subject to some sort of treatment aimed at discouraging such behaviour.

There is a whole range of science studying such behaviour, what predisposes people to it, how best to respond to and reduce its occurrence. This should inform the decisions of those in a position to determine how society approaches the problem.

Your last sentence doesn't quite make sense to me, the issue of 'free will' is not really a coherent idea when you try to pin it down, although we have some scientific understanding of why people feel they are exercising 'free will'. It really shouldn't affect approaches to punishment, since it is firmly established that various treatments, punishments do affect people's attitudes and future decisions, which is all we need to know.

Quote:

Quote:

How?  By making your living designing little computer games and posting 24/7 on some internet forum?  I think your time would be better spent reading up on those philosophers whom you know so little about.

I should have clarified that I read much on philosophy in my teens and early 20's, and have moved on.

I don't design or play computer games, altho I do design commercial sofware, which means I have to have a very strong grasp of logic, which is at the heart of programming computers. Posting here gives my brain a rest from sessions of wrestling with some tricky 'bug'.

Quote:

Quote:

That's exactly what you believe.  You simply try to put lipstick on it to make it look better than it does.

Quote:
Science does not pretend to be able to describe things in such a way - that is not logically required to gain a theoretical understanding.

And isn't that exactly what I've been saying about God? 

Quote:

You have no idea what you are talking about. 

Sigh... and what makes you think you do? Are you really denying that even philosophy has advanced in the past few thousand years?

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
chuckg6261982 wrote:Science

chuckg6261982 wrote:

Nor can religion. Religion can only tell you what a specific set of people claim the answer to be.

Ultimately, each of those are questions we each need to find answers for within ourselves. The answers do not lie in any external source, including any God or gods.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
desertwolf9 wrote:Take a

desertwolf9 wrote:

Take a look at the universe. It's a series of cause & effect reactions.

Moot premise. That is not what the universe is. That is merely a proposition fitting observations of a teensy fragment of the universe from an incredibly limited scope.. try again.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:desertwolf9

Eloise wrote:

desertwolf9 wrote:

Take a look at the universe. It's a series of cause & effect reactions.

Moot premise. That is not what the universe is. That is merely a proposition fitting observations of a teensy fragment of the universe from an incredibly limited scope.. try again.

The case is even weaker than that. There are many things we see happening where we do not see the 'cause'. We do research and hope to find out what factors triggered the event, of course, but it is manifestly untrue that all we see are cause-effect chains.