Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
He's Baaaaaaaccckkk....

Disgraced pastor returns, as Christian businessman

Quote:
By ERIC GORSKI

The Associated Press

Sunday, November 23, 2008; 5:51 PM

-- Earlier this month, a guest took the pulpit at Open Bible Fellowship in Morrison, Ill., a 350-member church surrounded by cornfields. The speaker was an insurance salesman from Colorado named Ted Haggard.

The former superstar pastor, disgraced two years ago in a sex-and-drugs scandal, had returned _ this time as a Christian businessman preaching a message that was equal parts contrition and defiance. Haggard linked his fall to being molested in second grade and apologized again.His two sermons were posted, fleetingly, on Haggard's Web site under one word: "Alive!"

LINK

There isn't really a whole lot to say about this.  Once a conniving twat, always a conniving twat.  Keep your ears open for more Haggard nonsense.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  What ,  you mean 'ol Ted

What ,  you mean 'ol Ted "I like it in the ass" Haggard ?    For a minute there I thought you meant Paisley was back again .   Whew ! I had visions of "lurking god-belief"  and "I know you are but what am I ?"

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:For a minute there I

Quote:
For a minute there I thought you meant Paisley was back again

LOL!

With any luck, Paisley has been kidnapped by Scientologists, and is locked in a dungeon somewhere watching endless reruns of Days of Thunder.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

What ,  you mean 'ol Ted "I like it in the ass" Haggard ?    For a minute there I thought you meant Paisley was back again .   Whew ! I had visions of "lurking god-belief"  and "I know you are but what am I ?"

Liking it in the ass is not the issue. Pleanty of heterosexuals like backdoor. His issue has always been lying to himself because he was too much of a coward to say to those whome he agreed with on some issues, "I am this way, and if you don't like it fuck you" His mistake was not his sexuality, his mistake was pretending to be something he wasn't.

There are plenty of heterosexual men who want to go brown. "What can brown do for you?"

I digress. My point is that he lied to his base because he wasn't true to himself, because society sold him the idea that being a clone was more important than being honest with oneself.

IF society had said from the onset, "We may not like the fact that you are gay, but can find common ground outside that issue" I don' think Haggard would have gone on the sly.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Liking it in the ass is not the issue. Pleanty of heterosexuals like backdoor. His issue has always been lying to himself because he was too much of a coward to say to those whome he agreed with on some issues, "I am this way, and if you don't like it fuck you" His mistake was not his sexuality, his mistake was pretending to be something he wasn't.

There are plenty of heterosexual men who want to go brown. "What can brown do for you?"

I digress. My point is that he lied to his base because he wasn't true to himself, because society sold him the idea that being a clone was more important than being honest with oneself.

IF society had said from the onset, "We may not like the fact that you are gay, but can find common ground outside that issue" I don' think Haggard would have gone on the sly.

As an individual issue in 21'st century America Haggard's sexuality would normally register only as a "blip"  ( ..oh, you're gay ?  Big woop ! ) if even at all.     But combine that with his religious orientation and his well publicized ridicule of homosexuality and, yeah, I'm going to take a swipe at him.  I know you don't actually know me in terms of my overall views but don't read more into my comments than I intended.  I'm okay with virtually anyone ( including theists ) as long as they express a sense of goodwill toward me, they're not assholes, or two-faced, etc.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:There

Hambydammit wrote:

There isn't really a whole lot to say about this.  Once a conniving twat, always a conniving twat.  Keep your ears open for more Haggard nonsense.

C'mon, jesus forgave him, why can't you?  Let's all open our checkbooks and welcome Brother Ted back with a generous contribution. 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra

zarathustra wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

C'mon, jesus forgave him, why can't you?  Let's all open our checkbooks and welcome Brother Ted back with a generous contribution. 

Nahhh. He'll just spend it on drugs.

Shouldn't he be in class? I thought New Life was paying for him to go back to school.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
...I hope it doesn't become

...I hope it doesn't become trendy all of a sudden to hand-out free passes to any preacher who blames their sexuality or pedophilia on childhood molestation. Sad

Ted, you're a gay. A queer. A homosexual. A fag. You enjoy having sex with men. Guess what? That perfectly cool! You also apparently like getting high, and - hey - that's cool too. Hell, even the thing that you were most demonized for, paying a prostitute for sex, isn't anything to be ashamed of.

Those people who have convinced you that there's something wrong with it, that you're a 'damaged' person who needs to be 'healed', are assholes. And you're emulating them (likely because your parents were among them. But we'll deal with imprinting later). Ted, buddy, if you ever want to lead anything resembling a normal life and wish the avoid further turmoil of some magnitude down the road, you need to accept yourself for who you are and put some distance between you and the people who have laid-out the expectations of who they feel Ted Haggard should be.

You can wear that mask for them for a while, but behind closed doors, you can't put on a facade for #1.

Haggard has two choices that I see. He can either accept his sexuality and vices, or he can continue donning his mask every morning until they find him boning a prostitute (or maybe a fellow man of the cloth) again.

Any bets on the route he'll take?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
christianity carries with it

christianity carries with it a sense of self-loathing anyway. How much self-esteem can you have if everything you have done well in your life is due to your god anyway?

Or

Perhaps Ted took "Suck it, jesus!" as "Suck it. Signed jesus." instead?

Or

He was trying to walk in the footsteps of jesus via Mark 14 (young man with the linen cloth).

Or

Writing the book on marital fidelity with his wife the same year he was 'defrocked' made him question what he was missing?

Oh there's a bunch of these. I'm glad he's back. lol.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Every time that Jizzbucket

Every time that Jizzbucket Haggard opens his mouth, he promotes *our* cause. If I were a Christian leader I would do everything in my power to shut him up.

I say we should encourage this ignominious dolt to get in front of a camera every chance he gets.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wish I could've been there

I wish I could've been there the day the little preacher kid from 'jesus camp' found out about Pastor Ted. The tears of emotional agony would be priceless.

I know that sounds sadistic, but it is fitting. Remember, I have 4 children in church of christ territory trying to deal with kids just like that one.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Fucking editing...

Ok.. here it is in another language... you'll get the point.  I can't find it in English...

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism