Schizophrenic Atheists Can Dish Materialism Out But Can't Take It {And I can't tell science from religion. Moved to AvT}

spirale2
Posts: 22
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Schizophrenic Atheists Can Dish Materialism Out But Can't Take It {And I can't tell science from religion. Moved to AvT}

Delete this if its spamming. Just thought more of you might want to answer it.

Its so popular to be a schizophrenic atheist. You get to be a materialist who believes he’s just a bunch of purposeless subatomic particles, just like any old pile of shit, and you also get to tell yourself and everyone else that you and your opinions are a lot more important than any pile of shit.

And you get away with it forever here cause none of your schizophrenic peers calls you on it. read your posts and see it yourself. You just jump right in assuming that the human race, its survival, and its opinions of itself are more important than a pile of shit. Because a human being is more complex and ordered than a pile of shit? Check it out, materialists, that’s an aesthetic judgment not a logical argument. And that judgment itself is just a pattern of purposeless particles.

So, your posts are just patterns of purposeless subatomic particles that believe they’re more important than the subatomic particles in a pile of shit.

take another bite at the apple. Fill in the blank below with a chain of rigorous deductive logic from just materialistic principles.

RRS authors and their opinions are just a pattern of purposeless subatomic particles. A pile of shit is just a pattern of purposeless subatomic particles…_________________...Therefore RRS authors and their opinions are more important than a pile of shit.
 


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4199
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
you've confused materialism

you've confused materialism with nihilism.


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
spirale2 wrote:Its so

spirale2 wrote:

Its so popular to be a schizophrenic atheist. You get to be a materialist who believes he’s just a bunch of purposeless subatomic particles, just like any old pile of shit, and you also get to tell yourself and everyone else that you and your opinions are a lot more important than any pile of shit.

You've confused multiple personality disorder with schizophrenia. It happens a lot. You've also misunderstood.

spirale2 wrote:
And you get away with it forever here cause none of your schizophrenic peers calls you on it. read your posts and see it yourself. You just jump right in assuming that the human race, its survival, and its opinions of itself are more important than a pile of shit.

Well some of the people's opinions on this site are more important, and others are less. And let's not devalue shit. It's the basis of sustainable agriculture.

spirale2 wrote:
Because a human being is more complex and ordered than a pile of shit? Check it out, materialists, that’s an aesthetic judgment not a logical argument. And that judgment itself is just a pattern of purposeless particles.

"Purpose" is something we made up, so we can assign it to anything we like.

spirale2 wrote:
So, your posts are just patterns of purposeless subatomic particles that believe they’re more important than the subatomic particles in a pile of shit.

We all also have the capacity to judge how purposeful and meaningful someone's posts are to us.

spirale2 wrote:
RRS authors and their opinions are just a pattern of purposeless subatomic particles. A pile of shit is just a pattern of purposeless subatomic particles…_________________...Therefore RRS authors and their opinions are more important than a pile of shit.

The logic is invalid. Is your point that the value of the site's opinions is as valuable as the basis for an agrarian economy? Or did you just want to say "shit" a bunch of times?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
Posts: 1388
Joined: 2007-03-29
User is offlineOffline
And the purpose of your post

And the purpose of your post is....?

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/


Empirical Infidel
Empirical Infidel's picture
Posts: 18
Joined: 2008-09-28
User is offlineOffline
Your title suggests that

Your title suggests that schizophrenic atheists dish out materialism and that you intend to dish out materialism that schizophrenic atheists can't take. If so, I think you missed the mark. You also seem to have a weak understanding of psychoses, quantum physics and the difference between spamming and trolling. 


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5939
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
A "pile of shit", if it is

A "pile of shit", if it is on a farm, may well have more purpose than a human being, since it has been placed there with the expressed purpose of fertilizing the crops on the farm, whereas a human may not have any particular aim in life, and may not necessarily have been given a specific task to perform by someone else, which are the only way entities can be said to have a purpose.

As for "important", this doesn't quite mean much, unless you specify 'important to what or whom'. The collection of matter making up my body is more important to me than any other random group of matter, whereas you are of no importance to me whatsoever, except as an example of how dumb some posters can be... In general, various other such human-shaped chunks of matter are also more important to me than other objects, since they are friends and family, or they pay me for work, etc.

Obviously I am not a 'materialist' in the crude sense you appear to be using the term, your logic fails when you assume that some sort of belief in the supernatural or a soul (I am assuming), is the only alternative.

Of course I believe our material structure is ultimately a collection of sub-atomic particles, but that obviously is not a complete description of any object, since there are significant differences between different material objects which depend on the way those ultimate bits are arranged.

Nothing we perceive as an identifiable object, whether a lump of granite, an apple, a dog, a human body, is just a collection of subatomic particles, otherwise we would not be able to tell them apart.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5939
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Atheism means we don't

Atheism means we don't believe in God. There are many possible ways of making sense of the world and forming codes of behaviour and assigning value that are not dependent on the assumption that there is a Supreme being.

So we are not 'dishing out materialism'.

And we have no problem with the implications of a purely Naturalistic, ie non-supernatural, view of the world.

The crude reductionist materialism you appear to be illogically assuming is automatically part of 'atheism' is by no means the only alternative to Theism.

The assignment of relative value or 'importance' in the sense you seem to be using the word is not purely a matter of logic, it depends on what we personally find generates in us the most positive feelings.

And 'schizophrenic' involves, among other things, seeing and hearing and maybe even talking to things which exist only in the mind of the sufferer, so it is more appropriately applied to people who believe in God or speak to Jesus...

So your whole post, from the title on down , is a series of non-sequiters.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
Posts: 1037
Joined: 2007-09-09
User is offlineOffline
Wait... if I'm a materialist

Wait... if I'm a materialist then that makes me equal in value to a pile of shit?

 

Your appeal to emotion is emotionally devastating!

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.


pablotar
pablotar's picture
Posts: 117
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
 Man, what a pile of

 Man, what a pile of shit..... I can't take it!