JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
What a heartless girl!

From the "toally cool medicine" file:

Quote:

U.S. teen lives 118 days without heart

Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:55pm EST

By Jim Loney

MIAMI (Reuters) - An American teen-ager survived for nearly four months without a heart, kept alive by a custom-built artificial blood-pumping device, until she was able to have a heart transplant, doctors in Miami said on Wednesday.

Full story

Must have been a very boring 4 months for the poor girl, but what a payoff! This is almost as exciting as this story:

Quote:

Europeans Announce Pioneering Surgery

Published: November 19, 2008

By ALAN COWELL and DENISE GRADY

PARIS — Physicians at four European universities have successfully transplanted a human windpipe, using stem cells from the recipient’s own bone marrow to reline a donor trachea and prevent its rejection by her immune system, according to an article in the British medical journal The Lancet.

Full Story

I can hardly wait for this technology to mature. Then I can breath easily. Eye-wink Laughing out loud

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I thought the partial

I thought the partial face transplant upon the French woman who was mauled by her dog was pretty cool, too....

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
YOU ARE MESSING WITH GOD!

YOU ARE MESSING WITH GOD!

And aren't we glad that the doctors who did these things didn't simply pray, but actually spent 15 years in med school, maybe more, so that things like this could happen.

I'll take a doctor over any  holy book of any label, any day.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote: I can

JillSwift wrote:

I can hardly wait for this technology to mature. Then I can breath easily. Eye-wink Laughing out loud

ba-da-ba

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

That_Guy
That_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love science so

I love science so much....

I just need to live long enough to live forever....

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
That_Guy wrote:I love

That_Guy wrote:

I love science so much....

I just need to live long enough to live forever....

That's easy enough to accomplish.

Don't die.

(Sorry, Jill. I couldn't think of a pun.)

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers