More pining for the Dark Ages.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
More pining for the Dark Ages.

Quote:

Educated Catholics have sown dissent and confusion in the Church, claims bishop

University-educated Catholics are to blame for the crisis in the Church and the growth of secularism, according to the bishop charged with tackling the decline in Mass attendance.

By Jonathan Wynne-Jones, Religious Affairs Correspondent

The Rt Rev Patrick O'Donoghue, the Bishop of Lancaster, has claimed that graduates are spreading scepticism and sowing dissent. Instead of following the Church's teaching they are "hedonistic", "selfish" and "egocentric", he said.

Whole story here.

I'm speechless.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 That's got to be the

That's got to be the dumbest thing that any Irish Catholic priest named Patrick O'Donaghue has ever said.  And that's saying something, because that's about the most generic name and occupation for an Irishman I've ever encountered.  Dumb fucking Teagues.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well at least they quit

Well at least they quit blaming those upstart womenfolk. ROFL

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
You  know some religious

You  know some religious people can put on the appearance of being media savy and the pretence of being quite intelligent but not this guy.

If all religious leaders were like this man the war of ignorance versus enlightment would be long over

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn those edumucated

Damn those edumucated cath-0-licks! Now that they have learned to read, they know that " And the Lord sayuth thou mayest bangeth thine altar boys at thine leisure. " isn't really in the Bible.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion gets mad at Dorathy

Religion gets mad at Dorathy when she pulls back the curtain and sees a man and not a god.

Theists, don't get mad at us, these words are comming from a theist who dispises education. You educated theists are blowing it for the man behind the curtain. How can he control you if you think for yourself?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
On my recent venture into

On my recent venture into Christianic den, I noticed two things.
They really despise the intellect, and tries to get rid of it, whenever it interferes with a faith. Instead, they value it only when for some reason it seeks for God, in the right direction. The intellect was supposedly given us to seek God, and in their particular Christianic denomination if possible, one of the 34 000 available.

They seem to reject the concepts of 'religion' and 'liturgy', because it doesn't sound well nowadays. The Christianity is supposed to be a way of life, not an institution. Too bad they still look at the world through the thick, open Bibles, and all they do, think and sing is based on a specific middle-East mythology. This effectively makes it remain a religion, liturgy, and dogma, not a way of life. Christians life style is exactly the same as of other people, maybe a less of sex, booze and cigarettes, but they don't have a patent on this.

Surely, there are some new, positive changes which makes the young Christians be lesser asshats and more positive for society. I had even seen a two of denominations to cooperate together. Soon, in about 50 years we might welcome these people in a civilized human society.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That really gets annoying

That really gets annoying when they say "Christianity isn't a religion it's a relationship with god."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:That

MattShizzle wrote:

That really gets annoying when they say "Christianity isn't a religion it's a relationship with god."

Why would that annoy you matt, if christianity isnt a religion that means we can tax it!

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shaitian wrote:MattShizzle

Shaitian wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Why would that annoy you matt, if christianity isnt a religion that means we can tax it!

Amen, brother. A tithe from the congregation means a tithe for the government.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That would be nice if they

That would be nice if they would. I really don't think religious institutions should be free from taxes. If they run a charity that actually helps people (not just preaching to them or giving them fucking bibles) then the charity should, but churches/temples/mosques/etc should pay taxes.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Educated Catholics

Quote:

Educated Catholics have sown dissent and confusion in the Church, claims bishop

University-educated Catholics are to blame for the crisis in the Church and the growth of secularism, according to the bishop charged with tackling the decline in Mass attendance.

I have a Jesuit University to thank for helping to open my mind that religion is bullshit and no god exists.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
What the priest in the article is flatly refusing to confront...

...is the fact that any well-imparted education today must be antithetical to religion.  There simply is no alternative.

I know, I know...I shouldn't be one to preach.  I was there myself, and I made the exact same mistake.  But that's where things lie: like the old song says:

"It ain't necessarily so,

It ain't necessarily so,

The things that you're liable

To read in the Bible

They ain't necessarily so."

And, as we all know, the problems are far from being limited to the Bible, or even just sacred texts in general.  Evolution, "historical claims" that evaporate upon examination, claims of "moral leadership" by people who are actually playing catch-up to the rest of us, poor logic...does this list ever end?

Oh yeah...I almost forgot...these are the intellectual giants who know that it's wrong for two men to get married, but can't see a problem with terrorizing altar boys...who want to argue with "Scripture only, please, no logic."...who routinely encounter both Jesus and the BVM in a tortilla or a piece of toast...who want to blame the 1960's for the previously-mentioned terrorizing of altar boys, but ignore the fact that this "altar boy problem" goes back at least a millennium (literally!), and maybe all the way back to the 200's...

...need I go on?  Or would you rather do that?

Conor

Dray
User is offlineOffline
Whoa, Peter Griffins father

Whoa, Peter Griffins father is real!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ST. Martin Luther   The

ST. Martin Luther  

The damned whore, Reason

http://www.jesuscult.com/Luther_Anti-Reason.htm

YICKS

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:ST.

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

ST. Martin Luther  

The damned whore, Reason

http://www.jesuscult.com/Luther_Anti-Reason.htm

YICKS

Yeah, that Martin Luther was quite the unpolished turd. He was, however, the perfect example of how religion is perfectly capable of going from bad to worse without real effort.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
A few yrs back when I read

A few yrs back when I read his shit, I was literally choked up. Here's another,

"Luther's Advice for dealing with the Jews"

http://www.awitness.org/books/luther/on_jews_and_their_lies_p2.html

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
Like I've always said,  the

Like I've always said,  the world would be a better place if someone had nailed Luther to the door.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
And, of course, Luther (or

And, of course, Luther (or even Protestants in general) is hardly alone.  Some other "famous jerk" quotes:

1. From St. John Chrysostom, on Jews: "The synagogue is a bordello, a hiding place for unclean beasts."

2. From St. Augustine, on persecution: "There is unjust persecution, which the wicked inflict on the church of Christ.  But there is just persecution which the Church of Christ inflicts on the wicked."  (My, how convenient!)

3. From then-Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI,) approved by then-Pope John Paul II, on gays who protest in favor of their own human and civil rights: "Neither the Church nor society at large should be surprised when irrational and even violent reactions occur...."

This, of course, does not even qualify as scratching the surface.

Conor

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
I keep thinking about this

I keep thinking about this article.

1. If it is true that: "Education = dissent," then doesn't that mean that "Doctrine = unsupportable?"  Just a thought.

2. Of course, the fact that priests have raped and/or sexually abused a lot of people (and not just boys,) would not have a single thing to do with disbelief of the Catholic Church's doctrine now, would it?

3. Similarly, episcopal cover-ups of priestly sexual abuse, the fighting in court to keep chancery documents secret, the sending of such documents to the papal nuncio (ambassador) to the U.S., so as to make sure they stay secret also would have absolutely no bearing on this.

4. Nor would the various slanders (...that is exactly what they are...) issued by priests, bishops, and Popes which blame this whole crisis on...let's see...television, immoral modern Western society, the generation of priests ordained after the Second Vatican Council, and homosexuals generally.  These, of course, are also irrelevant.  So is the fact that these irrelevancies are known to be irrelevancies.

5. Also irrelevant is the fact that none of the above seems to give Church leaders the slightest pause when they assert that any sexual behavior that does not fit within a narrow definition of "acceptable," is of course, sinful--and not only that, but *any* such sin is serious enough to "merit damnation."  (But that doesn't seem to apply once a man is ordained.)

6. And...oh, yes...the Church leadership also sees fit to advise the members of the Church on how to vote every election cycle, with the accompanying discussion of the excommunication of the recalcitrant.  But this also has nothing to do with Catholics dissenting.

Let the damning of education begin!  (It was only a matter of time, anyway.)

Conor