minor inconsistencies

ClymAngus
ClymAngus's picture
User is offlineOffline
minor inconsistencies

Playing devils advocate. I know we don't believe in him either but humor me. 

"From this point forward the moderators will be destroying posts made by theists" fair enough it is important for every man and woman to have a place to rest from the light on reason, heavy on stamina shire horse that is faith. But my question is how do you know?

I mean it's not like theists type in italics. Do mods check posts and if one accidentally "breaks ground" then all the posts made up to this point are chopped?  What I'm saying here is, in all honesty your banning mouthy theists, the ones who can't keep their traps shut long enough to drift effortlessly under the radar.

I should find the odd CofE (Church of England) member floating around here then. That lot wouldn't say boo to a goose.

Whilst we're at it, has anyone else noticed the frequent god-esque advertisements that pop up on top and side bar? You know adds for the god forums, social networking, dating, learn hebrew (?) etc. I know that it's just google (or some such) working on keywords to provide adverts tuned (in this case badly) to the tastes of the viewers but still, might we maybe want to do something about those? Or are they used as a dropping off point for raiding parties? I which case tally ho!

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess it's not a hard,

I guess it's not a hard, fast, absolute rule, eh? Because we know nothing is black-n-white.

The spirit of the rule is to disallow theist-vs-atheist debate in this forum and to grant a forum where the freethinkers can discuss ideas without having to hear the wild squalkings from the peanut gallery.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClymAngus wrote:I should

ClymAngus wrote:
I should find the odd CofE (Church of England) member floating around here then. That lot wouldn't say boo to a goose. 

This is a spot where theists are supposed to stay out of it. That rule is just saying it out in the open so people don't get their little panties in a wad (though they do anyway, obviously) when their posts get deleted.

I can't fathom why people have such a hard time with this rule. It's a rule, on a forum, they can't post here, and? "You can't just do whatever the hell you want, you don't own this forum" and? What is there even to discuss? It seems like there is a new thread on this every week at least. "Why can't I waa waa waaa, my little pussy is all sore, waa waa waa"

I really don't get it.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Then you get all the

Then you get all the fucktards that want to argue what a "freethinker" is.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yep.  At least one a

Yep.  At least one a week, it seems.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

ClymAngus
ClymAngus's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:ClymAngus

marcusfish wrote:

ClymAngus wrote:

This is a spot where theists are supposed to stay out of it. That rule is just saying it out in the open so people don't get their little panties in a wad (though they do anyway, obviously) when their posts get deleted.

I can't fathom why people have such a hard time with this rule. It's a rule, on a forum, they can't post here, and? "You can't just do whatever the hell you want, you don't own this forum" and? What is there even to discuss? It seems like there is a new thread on this every week at least. "Why can't I waa waa waaa, my little pussy is all sore, waa waa waa"

I really don't get it.

Science 101 mate. Nature (human and otherwise) abhors a vacuum. Why do people gravitate to the places they are not allowed to go? Well no one likes to be limited. It's a perversion of the explorers and discoverers instinct that have lead us (so far) to high plains of technical and intellectual achievement. Down side is, it's bloody difficult keeping humans out of things. Always finger poking. Big red flashing button syndrome, it screams to be pushed.

I take solace in the fact, that in pushing the boundaries of the world, they are in fact reenacting the very essence of science and discovery. Maybe they will take these skills and apply them to other limiting aspects of life. See? Silver lining and all that.

Hambydammit I know a cat who has an animated version of your avatar, I could pull a few strings (or balls of strings) if you'd like. Smiling

Interesting blog by the way, in answer to your general question posted 01 July 2008 @ 06:49 pm, I'd say it's an emotion (like all the others) that has proven iteslf to be adventagous, on average. This is why we still have it. The who and what are moot. Very well observed work by the way, a fine blog you have there.

As one with (according to your to your profile) the ability to do pretty much anything you like on this site. What are your thoughts on the logistic possiblilities of nixing the faith adverts? I don't like to press, but I do hate to see the strong willed deminished by dumb vindictive adversity which favors the opposition.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Poor Babies

ClymAngus wrote:
It's a perversion of the explorers and discoverers instinct that have lead us (so far) to high plains of technical and intellectual achievement.

Explorers instinct? Seriously?

This does nothing to validate someone being a ninny baby because they just can't seem to grasp the idea that there is a *single* area on a *vast* forum that they can't go into.

Cry me a river.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Hambydammit I know

Quote:
Hambydammit I know a cat who has an animated version of your avatar, I could pull a few strings (or balls of strings) if you'd like. Smiling

Oh, I've got the animated gif, thanks.  I've got a RRS badge on a single still.  Seems like a lot of work to do that to the whole animation.  More of a pain than it's worth, probably.

Quote:
Very well observed work by the way, a fine blog you have there.

Thanks very much.

Quote:
 As one with (according to your to your profile) the ability to do pretty much anything you like on this site. What are your thoughts on the logistic possiblilities of nixing the faith adverts? I don't like to press, but I do hate to see the strong willed deminished by dumb vindictive adversity which favors the opposition.

GoogleAds works on keywords, and it just so happens there are about 1000 Christian ads for every atheist ad, so when you talk about theism, you get theist ads.  Google allows us to block up to 200 sites, and we've blocked 200 of the most aggregious Christian adverts, but there's simply no way to block them all.

The ad revenue is very important to us, so we have to keep the google ads, and there really isn't much that can be done about their content at this point.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

ClymAngus
ClymAngus's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:ClymAngus

marcusfish wrote:

ClymAngus wrote:
It's a perversion of the explorers and discoverers instinct that have lead us (so far) to high plains of technical and intellectual achievement.

This does nothing to validate someone being a ninny baby because they just can't seem to grasp the idea that there is a *single* area on a *vast* forum that they can't go into.

Cry me a river.

But this is the single triumph and universal folly of man. He will forever try and expand and explore, you hold him from a place and suddenly that place becomes a goal. Have you never been barred from something? By a shallow lock or rusting fence, yet still you went there anyway? Have you ever been some where where you weren't supposed to be? Did it not thrill you? Was there not a gentle feeling of satisfying accomplishment? Truely?

This is not about faith or the strength drawn from lack of it. It's about being human.

"Cry me a river."

Never on a first date. You know the rules. Big boy.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sure we understand why they

Sure we understand why they might feel drawn to it, 'forbidden fruit' and all that. Doesn't mean they have any ratioal or valid case to make that they should be allowed to come in and preach. If they don't do anything that smacks of preaching or prozelytizing, or don't complain about other comments being offensive to Theists, we probably won't kick them out.

It really is quite simple and reasonable, due to that other basic human drive of wanting to associate with like-minded friends.

Theists coming here to complain about this one forum just further justifies our default attitude to Theists as being arrogant self-righteous irrational dipshits.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClymAngus wrote:marcusfish

ClymAngus wrote:

marcusfish wrote:

ClymAngus wrote:

Have you never been barred from something? By a shallow lock or rusting fence, yet still you went there anyway? Have you ever been some where where you weren't supposed to be? Did it not thrill you? Was there not a gentle feeling of satisfying accomplishment? Truely?

To clarify, I know what you mean when you say explorers instinct. I understand that this would be one very interestingly poetic way to describe someone who just cannot deal with rules. I'm sure some folks are comfortable with "yah man, I'm just honing in on my explorer spirit dude, the single triumph and universal folly of man" as an excuse for not being able to follow a rule... a very simple... reasonable rule. I, for one, need more of an explanation for justification.

So no need to explain what this concept *is*. My puzzlement was about how it in any way excuses someone from being a wussy bitch for not getting their way in regard to a rule someone else has made about their own play area. Childhood is a good excuse for being a wussy bitch for not getting your way. Explorer spirit... is not.

Quote:
This is not about faith or the strength drawn from lack of it. It's about being human.

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about here. I didn't intend to imply that faith is an issue. Just people being whiney bitches because they can't get their way ALL OF THE TIME.

[EDIT: Though it would seem to coincide with the theistic air of entitlement.]

Quote:
Never on a first date. You know the rules. Big boy.

I don't get the reference.

ClymAngus
ClymAngus's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Sure we

BobSpence1 wrote:

Sure we understand why they might feel drawn to it, 'forbidden fruit' and all that. Doesn't mean they have any ratioal or valid case to make that they should be allowed to come in and preach.

Nice hat, and your absolutely right. They shouldn't, but they still do. I just don't see banning as the way. I see apathy as the way. Many forums have seen the red bloods, they run, they tire. But only when they are not noticed. There is a hell in the world of man, that hell is the plain of apathy. A falling tree in a forest makes no sound, because it is not sensed as sound. 

To be disregarded as if you never existed, and your words meant nothing is by far (to my mind) the best response to those who will not listen. Apathy kills all things.

BobSpence1 wrote:

If they don't do anything that smacks of preaching or prozelytizing, or don't complain about other comments being offensive to Theists, we probably won't kick them out.

It really is quite simple and reasonable, due to that other basic human drive of wanting to associate with like-minded friends.

Theists coming here to complain about this one forum just further justifies our default attitude to Theists as being arrogant self-righteous irrational dipshits.

True, and I can see the reasoning for the "in a world of war, one must be a warlord". I've just seen many many people proclaiming victory, because of the stunned quite that surrounds their mindless words. Still banning give a hill to be taken, a field of apathy can grow crops minutes after the army has left. Still, some need to fight to hold worth, a feeling I can understand, fight on sir, fight on. 

nothingmusic42
User is offlineOffline
what about an agnostic?

when i discuss religion, i take the stance of an agnostic. i have absolutely no respect for organized religions, but i am open to the idea of planes of higher existence, and this comes from a very sound basis in science.

we all remember in science class when we were taught about 3 dimensional space- length, width, height. then science added a 4th dimension-time. now, modern physics operates on the basis of 13 dimensions. parallel universes are not only theroized, but needed to make our universe work properly. 20 years ago, black-holes were a myth, a theory nobody really believed. now we recognize that our galaxy revovles around a super-massive black hole, it's gravity the only thing keeping our star from hurling through space randomly.

with all the new discoveries that science has made, i'm open to the idea that maybe our consiousness goes on after we die. however, i do NOT believe that a bunch of drunken bronze-age peasents had a direct line to god. i do not believe jesus was the son of god, no more than mohammad his prophet. i believe both of them were just men, men who were trying to give there people hope under a crushing and brutal empire, rome. i'm pretty sure that st. john of revelations fame was fond of funky mushrooms.

i hope i fit the bill of someone who is more interested in questioning and looking for answers than finding a dogma and following it relentlessly. just as religion needs to accept science, athiests need to recognize that a belief in life beyond death has been part of human belief systems since we gained self-awarness. whether it's 72 virgins in heaven, the fields of alysium, or the flying spaghetti monster, it's a basic need to believe that our consiousness goes on. that we really are more important in the cosmic-scale than a cockroach. 

"when science contradicts my faith, i tend to believe the science"- his holiness, the 14th dhali lama

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
nothingmusic42 wrote:it's a

nothingmusic42 wrote:
it's a basic need to believe that our consciousness goes on. that we really are more important in the cosmic-scale than a cockroach. 
This is not a basic need and science in no way whatsoever validates any idea of the after-life.  In fact, it can be said with as much certainty that anything can be given that when you die that is the end.  Your consciousness cannot survive your own death, for it is inextricably a part of your functioning brain and indeed your whole body.

A question: What do you mean by 'planes of higher existence'?  Can you define this coherently?  How exactly does this, which has yet to have any meaning, come from a 'very sound basis in science'?  Can you point to that 'very sound basis in science'?  You'll find that many people here value precise definitions and citations over vacuous claims and ignorance, so I hope you'll oblige us.  -I, for one, want you to have a good and productive time here.

If you're going to apply your critical thinking to bronze-aged myths at least extend that thinking to pseudoscientific postulates and woo-woo wackery.  Simply because science does advance and we continually come to know things which we did not does not mean that waiting to be discovered are things which are already thoroughly debunked by the knowledge we do have.  There is no reason to believe in something for which there is no proof and there is no reason to believe that the proof is forthcoming when all that we know gainsays even the possibility of that something existing (that is, when that something is actually coherently defined).

Welcome to the forums!  Laughing out loud

Edit:

Having perused your other posts (you stunt for Kevin is neat idea), I noticed another comment of your that had me wondering.  I suppose I'm calling you out, but you have yet to formally introduce yourself and well, you'll have to answer this question eventually.

What do you mean when you say, 'technically I'm agnostic'?  Belief is binary.  One either believes in something or one does not.  That is, and forgive the tautology, if you do not believe in god(s), then you do not believe in god(s).  Here, while it is appreciated that there are varying degrees of atheism, the term is used to broadly mean 'one who does not believe in god(s)'.  You say that you're agnostic, but all that tells anyone is that you don't make a knowledge claim about that which you do not believe any knowledge can be had.  Agnosticism tells us nothing of your belief.  This thread, Am I Agnostic or Atheist should spell it out well enough.  Now, for the real question: Do you believe in god(s)?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

nothingmusic42
User is offlineOffline
thomathy

np answering your questions.

to begin with,  i have no formal religious belief. i like to watch christians faces fall when i tell them i've never been baptized, and i have no plans to be, i took a shower today, thats good enough.

that being said, i have studied every major religious text, from the bible to the yi jing. the tao te jing has been a major influence on how i live my life, and i have the utmost respect for the dhali lama. however, i do NOT follow they're models for an after-life. the most important thing that the dhali lama teaches his followers is that what will happen will happen, no matter what your belief is. the best way to cover all the bases is to live a life full of love and laughter.

at the same time, i combine religious text with hard science. stephen hawkings is another hero of mine. i have a thirst to learn about cutting edge physics, as well as astronomy, geology, and natural history. i am very aware of the true history of the modern religions, such as the truth behind thomas aquinnas, where the christian concepts of hell came from, as well as the history of the area's the religions came from.

second, as i said in my earlier post, i am agnostic. i don't claim to have a fixed idea of what happens after you catch a slight case of death. i have no clue what happens after you die, and i don't think a single living person on earth can make that claim, neither priest nor physicist.

in referance to "higher planes", maybe not the best choice of words, maybe i should have used "alternate planes". there are some very important things that science has yet to prove, such as what came before the big bang, what happens when you break the event horizen of a black hole, what are gravity waves, and what are their effects on the natural universe.

and finally, on the human need to believe life goes on, i'm going to ask you to look at human history. every culture since we lived in caves had a belief in an after-life. be it early shamanism, egyptian, chinese, greek poly-thiesm, every human culture believes in some kind of after-life. this isn't a need based in biological neccestity, but in our own hubris. humans have an almost hard-wired belief that we are better than nature. that we are some creator's favorite being, and that all of nature should bow to our will. it's part of the reason we're in the evironmental mess we're in.

in the end, all i can say is that i'm not sure of a damn thing, and i won't be until i've croaked. i'll continue to live my life questioning any and all dogma's. for me, the search is far more important that the answer. i've exposed myself to many different beliefs, and i'm a better person for it. i've had close friends that cover the spectrum, from consevative christians to hindus to wiccans to athiests. i've asked all of them to give me solid, 100% incontributable proof and none have been able to. until then, i'll keep my mind open to all possiblities. it kind of gives me something to look foward to, hehe.

"when science contradicts my faith, i tend to believe the science"- his holiness, the 14th dhali lama

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Umm... you didn't answer any

Umm... you didn't answer any of my questions.

I asked: What do you mean by 'planes of higher existence'? Can you define this coherently?  How exactly does this, which has yet to have any meaning, come from a 'very sound basis in science'?  Can you point to that 'very sound basis in science'?

Your answer is lacking.  All you did in your 'answer' is write that you should have used 'alternate planes' and then you wrote about certain 'important things that science has yet to prove.'.

nothingmusic42 wrote:
in referance to "higher planes", maybe not the best choice of words, maybe i should have used "alternate planes". there are some very important things that science has yet to prove, such as what came before the big bang, what happens when you break the event horizen of a black hole, what are gravity waves, and what are their effects on the natural universe.

So, what do you mean by 'alternate places'?  Can you define this coherently?  How exactly does this, which has yet to have any meaning, come from a 'very sound basis in science'?  Can you point to that 'very sound basis in science'?

I also asked, rhetorically, what you mean by 'technically I'm agnostic'.  Rhetorically, because you may well be technically agnostic, but agnosticism tells me nothing about whether you believe or not in god as it is a knowledge claim. 

Lastly, and most importantly, I asked, 'Do you believe in god(s)?'.  I really want to know the answer to this question.  Hint: the answer is, 'Yes,' or, 'No.'.

Please, don't sidestep the questions further with paragraphs of text relating anecdotes to us.  I appreciate what you have written; it is an interesting tale about the breadthe of your religious experience, your trust in science, your quest for knowledge and your openmindedness.

Now:

nothingmusic42 wrote:
in the end, all i can say is that i'm not sure of a damn thing, and i won't be until i've croaked.
Actually, when you're dead, you are dead.  Your consciousness with cease to function as it is inextricably linked to the function of your brian and by extension your body.  If your brain ceases to function you cease to exist.  There is no 'life after death'.

Quote:
i'll continue to live my life questioning any and all dogma's.
Really?  I do the same thing.

Quote:
for me, the search is far more important that the answer.
I find both the search and the answer to be satisfying.

Quote:
i've exposed myself to many different beliefs, and i'm a better person for it.
I'm not sure I know what you mean here.  By 'beliefs' do you mean religions?  I've also been exposed to and learned about many different religions.  I value knowledge and understanding.  I would say that I'm a better person for being educated so.

Quote:
i've had close friends that cover the spectrum, from consevative christians to hindus to wiccans to athiests. i've asked all of them to give me solid, 100% incontributable proof and none have been able to.
100% incontrovertable proof does not exist at all for very pratical reasons.  What proof are you talking about though?  For instance, if you mean proof that god does not exist, that will never happen.  There can never be empirical proof for the non-existence of something.  Logical proof, however, for the non-existence of the Christian god, for instance, certainly exists.  I can point to a Christian god-concept wherein god is self-contradictory.  Self-contradictory things cannot exist.  Thus the god as defined cannot exist.

Quote:
until then, i'll keep my mind open to all possiblities. it kind of gives me something to look foward to, hehe.
Look forward to?  I suppose you mean in the 'afterlife'?  I also keep an open mind and I look forward only within this life that I know I have.  I by no means will reject forthcoming scientific evidence that consciousness survives brain death, but presently all the scientific evidence points to the fact that what constitutes yourself is contained within your brain and that when your brain dies so do you.  Science by no means has all the answers, but where else do you propose to look for answers about the universe when science is the only reliable method by which knowledge about the universe can be gained?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmm... even "alternate

Hmm... even "alternate planes" is still a problem to me. It implies something intrinsically different to our current Universe, an alternate 'reality'. whereas the parallel universes envisaged in some theories are still thought of as just as 'physical' as our current observable universe, possibly with slightly different 'constants'. Even a larger 'metaverse' within which our Universe and any parallel Universe reside is still thought of as an extension of our current physical theories.

In a sense, anyone truly professing to embrace science must be an 'agnostic' about all aspects of reality, since we can't 'prove' any (non-deductive) propositions absolutely. So, in practise, we treat concepts that seem to be likely to be true to a very high (but not 100%) level as true, without continually reminding ourselves and others that we must be 'agnostic' about it.

Asking anyone to provide "100% incontrovertible proof" for their position is not an appropriate approach for anyone who has understood the nature of science and the limitations of all 'knowledge' should demand of anyone. You are definitely on the wrong track here.

You should instead be asking people to describe the reasons and evidence for their belief or lack of belief, and try and assess the relative merits of their argument, by asking them to clarify them, if possible, and get as much relevant independent evidence as possible.

There are some things where the uncertainty is way low enough to treat it as a fact in all but the most esoteric speculative discussions. Like the fact that the Earth goes around the Sun, and will continue to do so for a rather long time, which is slightly less certain. So it is not enough to simply say we can't be certain about anything - d'uh! You need to think in terms of the degree of confidence we can have in any given idea.

I don't think you can justify using the label 'Agnostic' purely because you think that we cannot prove 100% there is no God. You need to assign some sort of qualification, such as a 'significant' possibility that there may be a God. Or simply that you have not enough information for basing an assessment on, that is OK. But the inability to 'prove 100%' whether there is or isn't a God is not a good reason for claiming  Agnosticism.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology