Winner=Obama

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Winner=Obama

With a projected 297 electoral votes (Whatever the fuck that means...)

Good thing 'em Rethuglicans cheated eh?

But seriously is it just me or was this U.S election more dogmatic than a good majority of religion?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually it's more of a

Actually it's more of a landslide than that. John McCain just conceded shortly ago. The long national nightmare is over - well, in 2 and a half months anyway. There's also a larger Democratic majority in congress. Still, for Republicans to see how upset Liberals were when Bush won would probably take ME winning the White House (see my numerous posts on religion, abortion and economics to get this. )

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Two words: FUCK YEAH!

Two words:

FUCK YEAH!

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Yesssssss !! In the name of

Yesssssss !! In the name of every stem cell wasted and every discriminatory measure passed, we have a new President who appears to place value on human intellect and actually has a working knowledge of the English language.

A great speech given by Barack btw.  If you haven't listened to it, you should.

In the next 4 years, as many as (3) Supreme Court Justices will likely be replaced.  It couldn't happen at a better time.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I hope Scalia and Thomas go.

I hope Scalia and Thomas go. We can only hope...

I had donated $25 to Obama's campaign back in February and posted what I could wherever I could. I actually got an e mail a couple hours ago saying "I couldn't have done it without you. " (of course it was a form e mail, but hey!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Good

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

They cheated? How? That remark makes no sense.

Quote:

But seriously is it just me or was this U.S election more dogmatic than a good majority of religion?

Doesn't make sense to call the 'election' itself dogmatic, but sure, political and economic ideas are often at least as dogmatic as any other fundamentalism, it's much the same mental attitude, based on the same desire to embrace an all-encompassing, relatively simplistic, 'solution' to the complexity of reality.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, maybe Obama will

Yeah, maybe Obama will replace Thomas w/ a black justice.

And Scalia was appointed by Reagan.  Reason enough he should go.

BTW, Stevens was appointed by Ford and he's 88.  

George Orwell

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote:In the

AmericanIdle wrote:

In the next 4 years, as many as (3) Supreme Court Justices will likely be replaced.  It couldn't happen at a better time.

And that scares me. That would give the dems control of all branches of government. The fact that they now hold the legislator and the presidency is bad enough. We just got through putting up with eight years of republican bullshit, now I fear that eight years of democratic bullshit will begin.  We just barely got a good decision on Heller vs District of Columbia. With three more dems on the Supreme Court we would have lost that one. I hope that everyone here realizes that giving the dems control of all branches of the federal government is almost as bad has having the republicans in control.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander

Jormungander wrote:

AmericanIdle wrote:

And that scares me. That would give the dems control of all branches of government. The fact that they now hold the legislator and the presidency is bad enough. We just got through putting up with eight years of republican bullshit, now I fear that eight years of democratic bullshit will begin.  We just barely got a good decision on Heller vs District of Columbia. With three more dems on the Supreme Court we would have lost that one. I hope that everyone here realizes that giving the dems control of all branches of the federal government is almost as bad has having the republicans in control.

Neither political pary will be the cure-all for all of our ills, but science taking  a back seat to religion for far too long, is one example of current judicial irrationality.  It's way past due for a change in a few Federal court decisions.

There are (9) Supreme Court Justices.

(7) were appointed by Republican administrations.

(2) were appointed by Democratic administrations.

Does that seem equal to you ?

George Orwell

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:With a

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

With a projected 297 electoral votes (Whatever the fuck that means...)

A Native Canadian I met went on about how smug and ignorant the general populace of the country actually is. Beyond our admiration for the socialized aspects of your country, you're not very interesting to us, and your arrogance is unjustified.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
MattShizzle wrote:Actually

MattShizzle wrote:

Actually it's more of a landslide than that. John McCain just conceded shortly ago. The long national nightmare is over - well, in 2 and a half months anyway. There's also a larger Democratic majority in congress. Still, for Republicans to see how upset Liberals were when Bush won would probably take ME winning the White House (see my numerous posts on religion, abortion and economics to get this. )

Bush is what happens when you distract people with religion instead of focusing on issues we all have in common.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
There is one thing about

There is one thing about most Americans, even my counterparts, when you pick on our politicians it is like picking on a family member. Sure we may know our sister is a slut, but that comes from us and we get a bit unhinged when outsiders pipe in. Not that they are wrong, but more like we'll take care of this ourselves.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

They cheated? How? That remark makes no sense.

That was sarcasim

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'd love to see democratic

I'd love to see democratic control of everything. I literally disagree with Republicans on every single issue - and either agree with or am to the left of Democrats on every issue.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I'd love

MattShizzle wrote:

I'd love to see democratic control of everything. I literally disagree with Republicans on every single issue - and either agree with or am to the left of Democrats on every issue.

I also believe they have the majority of the Senate. Not sure about the House though.