I thought we were ok with gays on TV

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought we were ok with gays on TV

After Ellen Degeneres got her own show and Queer Eye became all the rage, and two cowboys had anal sex on the big screen, I really thought we were getting over homophobia in the media.  I guess the battle isn't won just yet.

Quote:
Grey's Degayed: Brooke Smith Axed; Melissa George No Longer a Lesbian
Mon Nov 3, 5:28 PM PST

It's true. Sources confirm that Brooke Smith, who plays Dr. Erica Hahn (a doctor who recently realized she is gay), has been axed from Grey's Anatomy.

Even more, I'm told by those who work on the ABC series that the gay-themed storylines and gay characters are being downplayed and even erased from upcoming scripts.

And that goes for the series' latest newcomer, Melissa George of Alias, who joins the show this month...

"Melissa came on as a lesbian character," a reliable insider tells me, "but they changed the script and now she isn't. She starts off flirting with Callie but it never goes anywhere."

Grey's has included a prominent bisexual/lesbian storyline this season in the blossoming relationship between Hahn (Smith) and Callie (Sara Ramirez). I'm told that that storyline will end abruptly in this Thursday's episode, which will be Smith's last appearance on the series.

"They don't really give her a goodbye," an ABC source tells me. "It ends rather abruptly."

E.W.'s Michael Ausiello first broke the news of Brooke's dismissal today. "I was very excited when they told me that Erica and Callie were going to have this relationship," Brooke told E.W. "And I really hoped we were going to show what happens when two women fall in love and that they were going to treat it like any heterosexual couple on TV. And so I was surprised and disappointed when they just suddenly told me that they couldn't write for my character any more."

ABC also dismissed Rebecca Romijn—who plays transgender Alexis Meade—as a series regular from Ugly Betty at the end of last season. Could this be a new trend with the network, or just another unfortunate scandal Grey's will withstand?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Don't watch the show (or TV

Don't watch the show (or TV in general at all) but I read it wasn't because her characters a lesbian she's gone.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd like to state

I'd like to state uncategorically that Brooke Smith was not fired because of her character's change in sexual orientation.  She was fired because of her reluctance to put the lotion in the fucking basket.  The producers have stated that this was a very difficult decision, given that Ms. Smith was an American girl, raised on promises, and it's quite painful to disappoint such people.  Nerd points are available for picking up on the references above.

Furthermore, memorial services for at least one of my anticipated future erections have been announced following the confirmation that Melissa George will not be making out with another woman on national television.

(I'd also like to state that I don't actually watch Grey's Anatomy.)

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
COuld we have a nerd to cool

COuld we have a nerd to cool person translation?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Furthermore,

Quote:
Furthermore, memorial services for at least one of my anticipated future erections have been announced following the confirmation that Melissa George will not be making out with another woman on national television.

God, it's so painful, something that's so close and still so far out of reach...

Quote:

(I'd also like to state that I don't actually watch Grey's Anatomy.)

Nor do I.  If it's true that this isn't about her character being a lesbian character, then this is the second time in about three months that I've been snookered by celebrity news.  This is why I don't care about celebrity news.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
DAMMIT HAMBY!!!!! You made

DAMMIT HAMBY!!!!! You made the gay chubby dating ads show back up again!!!

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:DAMMIT HAMBY!!!!!

Quote:
DAMMIT HAMBY!!!!! You made the gay chubby dating ads show back up again!!!

SCORE!

Actually, I am showing a Christian dating site... curious.... very curious...

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Mine was showing a black gay

Mine was showing a black gay dating site.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe it's like that

Maybe it's like that amusement park planet on the old Star Trek...shows you what you want but don't tell anybody about.

Burn. 

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 DDA, you haven't awarded

DDA, you haven't awarded me my nerd points yet.  I'm hurt

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Oh, I should point out

Oh, I should point out that I couldn't think of a reference from the movie, so I just went with the song.  I didn't spot any more nerd references.

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Could somebody please

Could somebody please explain? I don't understand nerd/geek stuff in the slightest.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: DDA, you

Hambydammit wrote:

I didn't actually see you comment on the Silence of the Lambs thing, there.  I wouldn't worry about it in any case.  You're definitely way high up in the nerd points standings.

--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I didn't comment on

I didn't comment on Silence because I couldn't think of anything clever.  I commented on the excerpt from "American Girl" by Tom Petty by quoting lyrics from later on in the song.

Books about atheism

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

I didn't actually see you comment on the Silence of the Lambs thing, there.  I wouldn't worry about it in any case.  You're definitely way high up in the nerd points standings.

The Petty song is playing just before the Senator's daughter is kidnapped by serial killer (lotion in the basket or it gets the hose again) freak.  Which  has now ruined the song for me.

I crave nerd points too.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:The Petty song is

Quote:
The Petty song is playing just before the Senator's daughter is kidnapped by serial killer (lotion in the basket or it gets the hose again) freak.  Which  has now ruined the song for me.

Well I'll be damned... so it is...

Books about atheism